UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Reports Oct 22, 1970

Item Metadata


JSON: ubcreports-1.0117994.json
JSON-LD: ubcreports-1.0117994-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): ubcreports-1.0117994-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: ubcreports-1.0117994-rdf.json
Turtle: ubcreports-1.0117994-turtle.txt
N-Triples: ubcreports-1.0117994-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: ubcreports-1.0117994-source.json
Full Text

Full Text

Vol. 16,No.20/Oct22,
UBC   REPORTS   CA        «0
The report of the Commission on the Futwre
of the Faculty of Education — COFFE for
short - is alive and welt, according to UBC's
Dean of Education Neville Scarfe.
In fact, the Faculty of Education has already
undergone extensive revision of its
administrative structure as a result of the
COFFE report, which was made public in
November, 1969.
The report was prepared by a seven-man
commission which deliberated for 16 months.
The final report contained 85 recommendations
and was described by Dean Scarfe as "a
pioneering attempt to bring a Faculty at a
Canadian university up-to-date."
Dean Scarfe said every effort is being made
to implement the spirit of the COFFE report.
"Where it has been decided not to accept
specific recommendations, the Faculty is
searching for an alternative procedure that will
not destroy the basic ideas contained in
COFFE," he said.
Many of the major recommendations for
changes in the Faculty's academic programs
hinge on the results of continuing internal
faculty debate, although some major decisions
have already been reached.
Most of the recommendations for revision of
the academic programs will ultimately require
the approval of UBC's Senate and Board of
The COFFE report recommendations
already accepted and implemented mainly
center around the administrative structure of
the Faculty.
The Faculty has established a high-level
Faculty Council and, under it, a senior
administrative board which together are the
main policy-making bodies of the Faculty.
Also implemented was a COFFE
recommendation calling for appointment of an
associate dean of development and planning to
act as an "agent of change," and with the
authority and resources to continuously
evaluate the Faculty's operations and propose
and initiate change.
The duties of the present associate dean of
the Faculty, Prof. C.E. Smith, have been
broadened to include these powers, Dean Scarfe
The Faculty has also implemented a
recommendation calling for student
participation in decision-making at the
operational level and student membership on all
of the Faculty's internal committees.
Continued on Page Four
FINAL CONTINGENT of evicted Jericho hostelers
arrives at the Student Union Building last Thursday
(Oct. 15) to begin an overnight occupation of the
building. During the night student councillors, aided by
student volunteers, worked furiously to contain the
invasion   and   find   alternate   accommodation   for  the
transients, who marched out of the SUB at 8 a.m. on
Friday (Oct. 16). Article which begins below and
continues on Pages Two and Three is an hour-by;hour
account of the occupation and the events which
followed. Photo by Meredith Smith, UBC Photo
16-Hour SUB Occupation
Had Its Tense Moments
For 16 hours on Thursday and Friday, Oct. 15 and
16, UBC's Student Union Building was occupied by
approximately 150 transient youths — both male and
female — who had been evicted from temporary
quarters at Jericho army base near the UBC campus.
The transients are a rootless band of young people
from all parts of Canada who came to Vancouver
during the summer. Initially, most of them were
inmates of the Beatty Street Armoury hostel in
downtown Vancouver, operated by the federal
Early in September, the government closed the
Armoury hostel and the transients who remained in
the building refused to leave. On Saturday, Sept. 12,
the federal government moved the transients to the
Jericho army base.
In the weeks following the move to Jericho, the
cause of the transients became an issue on the UBC
On Sept. 23, Students' Council, by a narrow 9 to 7
margin, voted to open the SUB temporarily to the
transients if the Jericho hostel closed.
The immediate opposition voiced by students led
Council to call a special general meeting on Sept. 29
at which students voted to deny the transients the use
of the building.
On Oct. 2, the federal government announced that
Jericho was closing. The transients said they would
refuse to leave until Ottawa provided a year-round
At 2 p.m. on Oct. 15 RCMP and Canadian armed
forces personnel moved into the Jericho hostel and
evicted some 200 occupants. All the hostelers were
driven -off the army base onto adjacent Fourth
Avenue and the more militant sat down in the
roadway and blocked traffic for about three hours.
Shortly  after  5 p.m. the Vancouver police riot
squad moved in to clear the road. In the clash that
followed, youths hurled rocks, bottles and cans and   *
struggled,  kicked  and punched.  Eight persons were
arrested by police.
The effect of the police action was to drive the
transients up the grassy slope opposite the Jericho
base to Eight Avenue, where they massed and
marched to the SUB. The final contingent of
transients arrived at the student building at 6:30 p.m.
Until 8 a.m. the next morning - Oct. 16 — the
executive of Students' Council, aided by students
who volunteered their services, worked furiously to
contain the occupation, prevent a confrontation
between the hostelers and angry students and find
alternate accommodation for the transients.
The statt of UBC's Department of Information
Services were in SUB during the occupation and
followed closely the events that took place after the
transients left the building.
What follows is an hour-by-hour account of the
occupation and what happened in the hours that
2:30 P.M. — President Tony Hodge is informed by
phone that the army and City of Vancouver police
have moved in on the Jericho hostel to close it down.
Hodge phones Ottawa in an attempt to learn who
gave the orders to close down the hostel. He is
unsuccessful. "It appears to have been a direct
cabinet order which was relayed to the commanding
officer of the Jericho base," he told UBC Reports.
4:15 P.M. — The first contingent of evicted
hostelers arrive at the Student Union Building.
4:55 P.M. — The executive of Student Council
meets in emergency session to discuss the SUB
occupation. The discussion begins against the
background of the student decision, made at a special
general meeting on Oct. 1, that the SUB should not
be used as a hostel by the Jericho transients.
Said Hodge: "Uppermost in our minds was that
regardless of any previous decision, the course of
action we should follow was the one which would be
in the best interests of the Alma Mater Society and
the SUB."
The executive reaches two major decisions: (1) the
evicted transients will be allowed to enter the
building temporarily and, (2) the building will
continue to operate normally, but will close, as usual,
at 1 a.m.
Immediately after the executive meeting some
areas of the building — the auditorium, ballroom and
party room — are closed off in an attempt to confine
the transients to the main floor, principally the
conversation pit.
At the same time, Coordinator of Activities
Hanson Lau begins organizing students in an attempt
to find billets for the transients. They work from a
basic   list   of   citizens   and   students  who   offered *-*S#,«*»»|pMi$%>'*^  -
Jericho transients left the SUB at 8 a.m. Friday
(Oct. 16) and milled around on the lawn west of
the building waiting for buses to take them to
the Inner-City Service hostel
A   few of the  key figures  who  worked
feverishly to contain the SUB occupation
Oct. 14 and 15 were,
Tony Hodge, President
Continued from Page One
accommodation two weeks earlier in response to an
AMS appeal.
The new vice-president of AMS, John Mitchell, a
fourth-year education student, calls radio and
televison stations in Vancouver asking them to
broadcast an appeal for additional billets. Several
telephone lines in the AMS offices are kept open all
night to receive offers of accommodation.
Up to 1 a.m. on Friday, 142 offers of
accommodation are received and 48 of the hostelers
are transported to billets.
6 P.M. — Hodge meets with a group of community
officials from the City of Vancouver Social Planning
Department, the Inner-City Service Project and the
Crisis Center, as well as campus chaplains and AMS
executive members to explain the decisions reached
at the Student Councils' executive meeting.
6:30 P.M. — The second wave of evicted Jericho
hostelers reaches the SUB to join those who' had
occupied the building earlier.
From the time the occupation begins until the
nostelers leave UBC the following morning, one of
the concerns of those dealing with the occupation is
the possibility of an invasion of the SUB by groups of
students bent of forcibly evicting the hostelers.
During the evening there are recurrent rumors that
engineers, forestry students or students living in
campus residences are organizing for such action.
Hodge denies that at any time there is any attempt
to organize specific groups of students to march on
SUB. "I left the building shortly after 6 p.m. to go to
dinner and was accosted by a small "group of angry
students — probably Arts students — who wanted
action taken to evict the hostelers from the SUB,"
Hodge told UBC Reports. He says this is the only
group which approached him during the evening
demanding action.
He says that strenuous efforts were made, through
the presidents of the Engineering Undergraduate
Society and the Fort Camp and Place Vanier
residences, to prevent a mass march on the SUB.
All during the early part of Thursday evening
individual students drift into the building to view the
occupation. Many of them report to Hanson Lau's
information desk on the main floor of the SUB and
offer to assist. They are set to work manning phones,
acting as an informal security force to contain the
occupation or circulate among the SUB throngs
cooling off discussions between hostelers and
students that threaten to escalate into heated
In the meantime, efforts continue to find
accommodation in private homes for the hostelers.
"Right up to 1 a.m.," says Hanson Law, "we
operated on the assumption that it was possible to
match up hostelers to the offered billets. Many were
prepared to go to this accommodation for that night
when they were assured that arrangements would be
made for them to meet the next day."
One group characteristic of the Jericho transients,
however, is their sense of community. They insisted,
during the SUB occupation and during their tenure at
Jericho, that they intended to stick together in the
hope that they would be provided with a permanent
hostel. For most, any attempt to get them to go to
billets as individuals is viewed as a threat to the
solidarity of the group.
Svend Robinson, a Science representative on
Students' Council and one of those who spearheads
the drive to find alternative accommodation for the
transients says: "By midnight it became clear the
bulk of them weren't going to move. We had places
for them to stay and those who were left didn't want
to go to them."
10:45 P.M. - UBC's President, Dr. Walter Gage,
issues a statement expressing sympathy for the
predicament of the young people turned out of
Jericho, but says the University "is not in a position,
for a number of reasons, to make accommodation
available to them for an indefinite period." He
reinforces the earlier student appeal to groups and
individuals to offer temporary accommodation until
more permanent arrangements can be made for the
He points out that students have already declared
themselves about the use of the building by the
transients and adds: "The entire campus ... is
overcrowded, and any influx of people from off the
campus, however great their need, would work
additional hardship on the thousands of students who
have worked hard to earn the right to be here."
12:30 P.M. - As the 1 a.m. deadline for the
closure of the building approaches, the staff of the
Jericho hostel meets on the second floor of the SUB
to plan strategy. Tense moment arises when two
RCMP constables enter the building in search of
thieves who robbed a taxi driver at gun point outside
the SUB and were seen running into the building.
Hodge uses the SUB public address system to explain
why the RCMP have entered the building and tension
12:50 P.M. — The first of several mass meetings of
hostelers and staff takes place in the SUB
conversation pit. The hostelers decide to stick
together, to stay the night in SUB and to leave the
building at 8 a.m. to march to the Courthouse in
downtown Vancouver.  (Sometime during the night
they decide   to drop the latter idea).
1 A.M. — Hodge broadcasts, over the SUB public
address system, an announcement that the buildingJ
closed. He tells the occupants this action is necessar
as the result of the decision made by students at the
mass meeting on Oct. 1.
Many students leave the building immediately, but
a few insist they will not leave until the transients
depart. The main tension point is the south entrance
to the building, where a heated argument develops
over the transients' right to remain inside. Hanson
Lau talks to the group from the rim of a concrete
planter outside the south entrance. He pleads with
students for a chance to work out a solution without
a confrontation.
He says: "We are working on the premise that they
are not to remain in the building, but we have to find
some solution that is acceptable to the group," The
students respond and the tension dissipates as they
2 A.M. — Hodge speaks to the transients in trT!
conversation pit. He asks their cooperation in
cleaning up the building. Brooms are passed out and
crews of transient volunteers go to work.
Stationed throughout the building, and prepared
to stay the night, are 50 students from many
faculties, including Applied Science, Arts, Science
and Forestry as well as residence students, who act as
door and stair guards to confine the occupation to
the main floor of the building and the conversation
pit. Some of them, says Hanson Lau, were students
who earlier rushed into his office demanding that the
transients be thrown out of the building. *
3 A.M. - The lights on the main floor of the SUB
are dimmed and everyone settles down for the night.
7 A.M. — Groups of transients are awakened in
turn to use the building's limited washroom facilities.
7:30 A.M. - The SUB lights go up and coffee and
doughnuts, arranged for by the AMS, are laid out for
the hostelers.
8 A.M. — Just before the hour at which the
hostelers have agreed to move out, a discussion begins
about preserving group solidarity. A few transients
balk at leaving but the majority agree that they must
leave because of the vote earlier that morning. The
building is clear shortly after 8 a.m. The transients are
also told that two buses are on the way to the SUB to
take them to the Inner-City hostel at Sixth and
Outside the SUB, the transients are harangued by
10 to 15 members of the Vancouver Liberation Front
(VLF). Most transients appear uninterested but
heated discussions develop on the lawn west of the
building between groups of transients and curious
9:15 A.M. — Two buses arrive and most hostelers    %.
board them. About 10 remain behind, convinced by
the VLF that there is a plot to break up the Jericho
2/UBC Reports/Oct. 22, 1970 t to right above,
the AMS: Hanson
Lau, coordinator of activities; John Mitchell,
recently-elected vice-president of the AMS,
and Svend Robinson, Science representative
on Students' Council.
family. Hanson Lau accompanies the transients to the
Inner-City hostel.
At the hostel the transients wait for an 11 a.m.
fs^Hn. Sometime in the morning a rumor circulates
thlrWolksinger Phil Ochs, scheduled to take part in a
concert at the Pacific National Exhibition that night,
will sing at the UBC campus at noon. Many transients
decide to return to the campus by hitch-hiking or in
cars available at the Inner-City hostel.
12 NOON - About 75 transients are back at UBC,
sitting on the steps to the west entrance to the SUB
or lying on the grass to the west of the building. They
refuse to leave despite assurances that Ochs will not
sing. Many refuse offered accommodation in private
homes because it would break up the Jericho family.
Many also regard UBC as a sanctuary from the
Vancouver police.
1:30 P.M. — A rumor begins to circulate that the
VLF plans a rally at 2:30 p.m. at the SUB to
h^^kim support for the Front de Liberation de
Qtrroec (FLQ) and opposition to the War Measures
Act, which the federal government had proclaimed in
Ottawa just as the doors of the SUB had closed at 1
a.m. that morning.
2 P.M. — AMS executive meets again and decided
that at the first sign of a movement by the transients
back into the SUB an attempt will be made to stop
them. Says Hodge: "By this time we felt that if the
transients re-occupied the building we would be faced
with a group of angry students who wanted a
Immediately after the meeting, groups of students
are organized to man the doors in case a decision is
reached to limit entry to the building.
2:30 P.M. - The VLF holds a news conference,
not a rally, on the south plaza.of the SUB, announces
a public rally for 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the
Vancouver Courthouse, declares its support of the
FLQ and its opposition to the War Measures Act.
Most of those present are newsmen. A handful of
curious students look on and occasionally heckle the
At the same time inside the building, Hodge and
bis executive learn that the Inner-City Service Hostel
is virtually empty and that the transients on the west
lawn of the SUB are now saying that they plan to
stay in the building again that night.
3 P.M. — A decision is made to close the doors of
SUB and limit entry to those who can produce AMS
Says Hodge: "The rationale behind limiting entry
to the building was that if the transients occupied the
SUB again there was a very good chance of
uncontrolled violence, especially since there was an
engineers' function scheduled in the building that
"On the other hand we were prepared to accept a
certain amount of trouble with our own students,
who would be justifiably annoyed at having to
produce identification to get into their own building,
in the interest of reducing the possibility of a
confrontation later that night."
Hodge admits there wasn't time to explain the
rationale to all those who manned the doors. As a
result, tension mounts at the north and south
entrances to the building when students demand to
know why they can't enter without showing their
AMS cards and no adequate explanation is
forthcoming from those manning the doors.
During a scuffle at the south entrance a plate glass
panel in one of the outer doors is smashed. At the
north entrance a heated argument rages between
students until the limited entry regulation is lifted at
5:30 p.m.
At the same time that entry to the SUB is
restricted, an intensified effort begins to obtain
Friday night accommodation for the Jericho
transients. One of those who remonstrates with
Hodge about the closing is Bob Smith, Social Work
representative on Students' Council and a social
worker at the YWCA.
As a result of his efforts, the YWCA agrees to let
the Jericho transients stay there Friday night. The
Council executive decides to retain the limited entry
regulation until the hostelers have left for the Y.
4:30 P.M. - A truck from Inner-City Service
Project arrives at the SUB to pick up some mattresses.
All but a few of the hostelers board the truck for
Inner-City for the evening feed-in before going to the
offered accommodation at the YWCA.
5:30 P.M. — Hodge announces over the SUB
public address system that the limitation on entry to
the building is lifted and explains the rationale behind
the decision. By 6:30 p.m., when the last of the
transients has been trucked off, the SUB is virtually
9:30 P.M. - A rumor circulates in the SUB that
some of the hostelers, dissatisfied with the
accommodation at the YWCA and Inner-City, are on
their way back out to UBC. It proves to be
All day, a group of students, headed by Svend
Robinson, work at the Crisis Center, accumulating
billets for the Jericho transients. Late Saturday
afternoon, Robinson and a social worker at
Alexandra House match up billets with transients,
who are by now convinced that their solidarity won't
be endangered by accepting overnight
accommodation in private homes as long as they can
meet again the following day.
To Be
A proposal to record teaching
experience on the transcripts of graduate
students will be debated at the
November meeting of UBC's Senate.
Prof. Ben Moyls, associate dean of
Graduate Studies, gave notice of motion
to include such experience on student's
transcripts after informing Senate of the
results of a study made by a Faculty of
Graduate Studies Committee- on the
preparation of instructors for two-year
The Faculty,, after analysing
questionnaires sent to the heads of
regional two-year colleges and UBC
deans, directors and department heads,
decided not to offer special degrees at
the graduate level for prospective or
active college teachers.
Prof. Moyls told Senate there seemed
to be no demand expressed by the
colleges for such degrees and the
committee was concerned with the
danger of debasing present degree
The Faculty had also decided not to
alter existing residence requirements for
the master's or doctor's degree because
"such a step does not seem consistent
with the maintenance of quality
graduate programs," the Faculty report
said. (UBC requires doctor of philosophy
and doctor of education candidates to
spend a minimum of three winter
sessions on the campus. Master's degree
students must spend at least one winter
session at UBC).
The committee also recommended
that departments make available to
graduate students: (a) a broad program
of studies in their specialty; (b) some
teaching experience on a
non-compulsory basis, the record of such
experience to be entered on the
student's transcript and (c) regular
supervision of teaching and, at the
request of the student, an evaluation of
the student's teaching.
It was item (b) of this
recommendation that led to Prof. Moyls
giving notice of motion for the next
meeting of Senate.,
Other points recommended by the
committee were the offering of summer
and short-term institutes and workshops
designed for college teachers,
cooperation by UBC Faculties and
Departments with the Faculty of
Education to offer assistance for the
training of college teachers, and
exploration of the possibility of an
exchange of instructors between UBC
and the colleges.
Prof. Moyls told Senate that the last
point had been taken up with the
Academic Board of B.C., which was
considering the suggestion.
UBC Reports/Oct. 22, 1970/3 8 A.M. LECTURES?
Senate Asks For
Further Study By
UBC's Senate has called for further study of a
proposal to begin lectures at 8 a.m. in the 1971-72
At its meeting on Oct. 14, Senate agreed to refer
the proposal, brought to Senate by the Registrar, Mr.
J.E.A. Parnall, to a faculty-student committee for a
study of the effects on the University of starting
lectures at 8 a.m.
The proposal was made to Senate by a Committee
on Class Schedules chaired by Prof. R.F. Scagel,
associate dean of the Faculty of Science.
The aim of the proposal is to provide additional
classroom space through more extensive use of
existing facilities.
Deputy President William Armstrong told Senate
that a decision on the proposal should not be made
until a 1970-71 space utilization survey of the
campus is complete.
He said preliminary information indicated that
there is a serious shortage of classroom space in the
current session. UBC lacks six seminar rooms, four
lecture theaters of 50-seat capacity and one 75-seat
lecture hall.
"We have more than 100 classes being taught
outside the  normal   academic  day," he continued.
Continued from Page One
Also accepted was a recommendation calling for a
sharp differentiation between a doctor of philosophy
degree emphasizing practical studies and a doctor of
philosophy program based on theoretical studies.
Rejected by the Faculty, however, was a proposed
master of pedagogy degree which would be awarded
without research.
Instead, the Faculty has endorsed continuation of
the master of arts in education degree and has
decided to offer a postgraduate diploma program for
teachers who do not wish to undertake research.
The introduction of a "teaching associate"
concept in the Faculty has been abandoned.
The introduction of this new concept grew out of
another COFFE recommendation calling for adoption
of a single, five-year bachelor of education degree.
Included in the requirements for the new degree
would be time spent in a teaching associateship in a
school district under the close supervision of a faculty
The adoption of the single, five-year degree
program leading to the bachelor of education degree
is still under debate in the Faculty.
Two separate Faculty committees are currently
working on details for changing the elementary and
secondary school teaching programs of the Faculty,
and a third is devising new approaches to the practice
teaching program aimed at improving the quality, of
Another major COFFE recommendation which
has not yet been discussed is one calling for the
granting of separate Faculty status to the School of
Physical Education and Recreation.
"These classes are meeting at noon hours and in the
evening and, in some cases, I think, in people's
"In addition to using International House for
teaching about 50 hours a week, we are using half the
Ponderosa cafeteria and we are still short the number
of rooms I have indicated," he said.
Dean Douglas Kenny, head of the Faculty of Arts,
said it was important to obtain the views of all
departments within his Faculty. Dr. Kenny, and a
number of other Senators, said Senate should also
take into account the impact of the motion on UBC's
various ancillary services, including food services,
traffic and parking, and on employed staff.
Prof. Robert Clark, UBC's Academic Planner, said
faculty members should be provided with additional
information, such asn enrolment predictions, the
present degree of utilization of space and implications
for ancillary services, in discussing the proposal.
Prof. Cyril Belshaw, head of the Department of
Anthropology and Sociology, said the committee
which had made the proposal had not had students
among its members. He added that it was important
that students be involved.
Senate agreed that the president should appoint a
committee to discuss the proposal and that the
committee should include students.
A second proposal approved by Senate has set the
closing date for application for admission to UBC at
June 30, instead of August 1, as at present.
Mr. Parnall told Senate the earlier deadline was
necessary because of Senate's decision in September,
1969, to restrict first-year enrolment to 3,400
He said it was important to know as early as
possible "how many applications there are for the
space available."
The earlier deadline, he said, was "more reasonable
from everyone's point of view, especially the
professional faculties which, more than ever, must
select their students from a very large class of
The registrar pointed out that the earlier deadline
would not mean that students who receive
examination results later than June 30 would be
unable to attend UBC. What the University wants, he
said, is an indication of the student's intention to
He added that the deadline was not absolute and
decisions concerning admission would be made
beyond the June 30 cut-off date. Students registering
in the Faculty of Graduate Studies were specifically
omitted from the new regulation and will be allowed
to register at any time.
■ IBA Jfc Volume 16, No. 20 - Oct. 22,
I lis I 197°- Published by the
^J^J^J University of British Columbia
^B* *** ^*r anrJ distributed free. J.A.
REPORTS   D      . ,- ... D   .
Banham,     Editor.     Ruby
Eastwood, Production Supervisor. Letters to
the Editor should be addressed to Information
Services, Main Mall North Administration
Building, UBC, Vancouver 8, B.C.
A transportation studies center has been formed at
the University of B.C. to encourage and organize
inter-disciplinary studies in transportation.
The center has received a four-year, $360,000
grant from the Canadian Transport Commission.
It will receive $70,000 in 1970-71 and $90,000
the following year. In each of the last two years of
the grant the center will receive $100,000.
UBC Deputy President William Armstrong has
been appointed acting director of the center until a
permanent director is found. As a large country
whose population is concentrated in dense urban
areas hundreds of miles from each other, Canada is
precariously dependent on transportation, he said.
"This is especially true of Vancouver and B.C.," he
said. "The economy of B.C. and other provinces rely
heavily on transportation since a great deal of our
goods go to foreign markets.
"Vancouver is now the largest port in the nation.
It is through Vancouver that Canada's growing
interest in Pacific Rim trade is directed.
"Not only is the city the funnel for much of the
commerce of the country, it is here where the various
forms of transportation converge and goods are
switched from one to another.
"It is a major sea, rail and transportation center
and the headquarters of one of our two national
airlines." ^—.
A   consultative  committee  made  up  of faculty jfM
members,   representatives  of  provincial  and federal
government transportation officials and members of
corporations   within   the   industry   will   advise   the
Still undecided is the question of which UBC dean
the director of the center should report to. At its last
meeting Oct. 14, UBC's Senate asked President Walter
Gage to consult with the University's committee of
deans before making a decision.
York University in Ontario and the University of
Manitoba have been the only other Canadian
universities with transportation centers until now.
Research projects will be directed towards total
transport systems. Some of the projects funded so far
— Assessing   the   inter-action   of   technological
development of supersonic jets, airbuses, hypersonic I
aircraft   and   high   speed   ground  transportation   on
social, economic and political factors, by Prof. Julius
Kane of UBC's Institute of Animal Resource Ecology;
— The impact of congestion in transportation
terminals in B.C. on the flow of commodities, by Dr.
K.G. Denike of the Department of Geography. This is
especially important to B.C. because geography has
limited alternative transportation routes through
terminal areas;
— Trans-Pacific trade and shipping to the West
Coast of North America using liner services, by Dr.
Trevor D. Heaver of the Faculty of Commerce and
Business Administration;
— Historical trends of general aviation in Canada,
forecasts of- the magnitude of general aviation in
1980, ground access to airports, and urban land use
pressures and the Port of Vancouver, by Dr. V. Setty
Pendakur of the School of Community and Regional
— Canadian intercity transportation, by Dr. !-!arry
L. Purdy of the Faculty of Commerce and Business
— Traffic safety characteristics of urban
communities, by Mr. P.O. Roer of the School of
Community and Regional Planning;
— Explaining and forecasting movements in ocean
freight rates, by Mr. W.G. Waters of the Department
of Economics;
— Use of a type of model as a forecasting tool by
Mr. J.K. Welsby, Faculty of Commerce and Business
Administration; and
— A study of a port simulation model in relation
to Vancouver, by Dr. P.L. Lawrence, Faculty of
Commerce and Business Administration.
Grant applications from others interested in
transportation studies are still being received and the
center has shown interest in several additional
4/UBC Reports/Oct. 22, 1970


Citation Scheme:


Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics



Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            async >
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:


Related Items