Open Collections

BC Historical Books

BC Historical Books

BC Historical Books

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Merritt, B. C. Souvenir Book marking the thirteenth anniversary of… Brown, W[illiam] R[obert] 1923

Item Metadata


JSON: bcbooks-1.0343217.json
JSON-LD: bcbooks-1.0343217-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): bcbooks-1.0343217-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: bcbooks-1.0343217-rdf.json
Turtle: bcbooks-1.0343217-turtle.txt
N-Triples: bcbooks-1.0343217-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: bcbooks-1.0343217-source.json
Full Text

Full Text

Souvenir Book
Marking the Thirteenth Anniversary of the Opening of the Church
A Short History of the Church in the Nicola Valley
and Sketch of the Valley and the City of Mer ritt
By —— The Rev. W. R. BROWN
Artnatrjmg'a l?jrarim?tttal &inr*, Utö.
The Store that fills your Every Want
Each Department complete in Every
Detail    J>   j*   &    Our Motto is
ilmitt   *   *   >   Irtltalf Columbia
	 Rev. George
The First
Rev.  W.  R.
The Present
All equal are within the church's gates.—^öeorgé Herbert. utyta look
is dedicated to the noble pioneers—pastoi'3 and
people—who blazed the trail and laid the foundation of Presbyterianism in the Nicola Valley., and
to those who have upheld its banner through good
and bad times for 56 years.
All praise to him who hoists a sail
On seas erstwhile unknown;
To him who dares to mark a trail
Through forests deep and lone;
To him who dares to dream and think,
To speak, and dare, and do.
While others tremble on the brink,
-   Afraid of conquests new.
God is our refuge and own strength'* Ewnta in (Entmrrttnn Hilt? tttytH (Eampatgn:
Afternoon Tea and Sale of Home Cooking under   auspices of Ladies' Aid at the home of Mrs. H.
Roblin, Saturday afternoon, September 15.
Tea and Sale of Work in the Manse, Saturday afternoon. November 10, under auspices of Ladies'
Grand Concert in Rex Theatre, second Tuesday in November, under auspices of Managing Board.
Christmas Pageant    by the    Sunday School on a date to be set later.
Anniversary Services. Sunday, December 2. to be conducted by Rev. J. Williams Ogden, of Vancouver. At both morning and evening service a special offering will be taken.
On Monday evening, December 3, Mr. Ogden will giv«- a lecture in Oddfellows' Hall, on "Mighty
London, the Wonder of the World" Admission. 50c.  Mr. Ogden has lectured in the   Old Land and is
today one of the most entertaining lecturers on the Pacific Coast
'Tis not in mortals to command success, but we'li d o more, Sempronius, we'll deserve it.—Addison. lltstnrg of |irrBbytman Ctl^urrl? in life Nirnla HaUftj
Lin the following historical sketch of the church
in the Nicola Valley the writer makes no pretencfl
at exhaustiveness; but in all respects accuracy an<j
fairness have been sought. To write a complete
history of all developments and details would
necessitate weeks of research work in the archives
of the various church courts—for which the writer
had neither time nor space. The greater part of
this story was gleaned from conversations with old
timers in the valley. I am also indebted to the
following for valuable information: Mrs. G. F.
Ransom, Mrs. M. Philips, Mr. T. Gissing, Mr. G. B.
Armstrong, Mr. Phillip McLean, Mr. and Mrs.
Thomas and A. R. Carrington, Rev. H. Wilson,
Rev. James Thompson, Rev. Father J. M. LeJeune,
Rev. J. A Logan, D.D., and Miss J. M. Murray of
Vancouver, and others- with whom I have had the
pleasure of discussing "the good old days." Miss
Murray is a daughter of th elate Rev. George
Murray of Nicola and had it not been for her
'mother's illness at the time when this story was
being written would have contributed some interesting reminiscences of the early days. The following paragraph, however, taken fiom a letter tö
the writer, in which was enclosed a donation for
the church, gives a vivid picture of the lot of the
pioneer missionary in British Columbia: "I regr3t
not having been ab,le to assist you when you required it .... I sincerely hope that your little
booklet will meet with much success. It cannot fail
to be of interest to both the eld timers who remain
and to those who have come after. But however
graphically such a history might be written, no
words could begin to depict the heartbreaking
struggle that went for the most part to make up
life for all the brave workers in the early Western
mission fields and their still braver wives."]—-W.
R. Brown.
*** HE present is bound up with the past whether
ill it be in the case of a church or •. nation. And so
^■Mt has become matter of history thatthe people
of the Nicola Valley have been and are a moral,
God-fearing and church loving people. Ever since
that bright summer day in 1866, when the first
settler camped on the banks of Nicola Lake, there
has been a continual influx of settlers to the valley,
but never at any period during the half century
have the newcomers been lacking in the desire for
the cultivation and the emulation of the higher
qualities of life. This desire, no doubt, was innate,
for the majority of those who settled here were the
product of devout Anglo-Saxon stock and hailed
either from England, Ireland, Scotland, the >li?r
provinces of Canada or the New England States.
They were, with few exceptions, all men and women
who had been imbued in boyhood and girlhood
with the old truth that is ever new and ever true,
He who would gather roses must not fear thorns. HEADQUARTERS FOR TOURISTS AND COMMERCIAL TRAVELLERS
Delicious bed .  .  .    heaven on eartli to the weary head.—Tom Hood. fiatortj of th? -preaogteriatt (ftourrh, in to* Nirola Hallrg —(Continued)
viz: that "man does not live by bread alone." So
that while they sought a home and, in some cases
a fortune, in "the Valley of Sunshine," they did not
forget the God of their fathers—He who had been
their helper, their fortress and their might. This
fact is amply demonstrated in the buildings that
have been erected in the valley and dedicated to
His glory over a period of fifty years, the silent
white and grey sentinels that stand guard in the
church yards bearing their mute testimony to the
fact that the occupants "died in the Lord," and
the noble army of the living who have taken the
torch and are carrying on to victory.
In 1866 the Nicola Valley was a vast wilderness,
unknown except to a few Indians. In 1867 the
first white settlers came. Being attracted by that
indefinable and yet irresistable something known
as "the call of the West" thousands of people in
that year made their way to the Pacific Coast.
They were bent on seeing "the farthest West." In
their rush they did not take time to view the land
as they passed through. But, having gratified their
longing many people turned their eyes back to the
interior. Arriving at Lytton and Spence's Bridge
on the old Cariboo trail they pushed their way
!nto the N.ccla Valley and there they came upon
what is now known as Nicola Lake. They were so
captivated by the pleasing contour of the land, the
sunny climate %nd the apparent potentialities of the
soil in the vicinity of the lake that they decided to
make their homes there.
These pioneers were Edwin Dalley, now living
in Victoria, John and George Clapperton who located at the south end of the lake, and Sam, Ben
and Joe Moore who located at the north end of the
lake. Dalley was Anglican and the Moore's and
Clapperton's were Irish Presbyterians. A few years
later Mr. John Moore, father of the boys, came out
from the old land and though he was the oldest of
the settlers, he was "the life of the company."
John was a staunch Presbyterian. His religion
meant more to him than his money or anything
else he possessed. It is told of him to this day that
though he was'an old man in his 70's he used to
walk nine miles, from the head of the lake to the
Agricultural Hall at Quilchena—to preside at
meetings of the Board of Managers of the little
Mission Presbyterian Church. A fine example this
for the church officers in the days that were to
come. How true is the old saying "where there is
a will there is a way." Few church managers have
to walk nowadays; Henry Ford has made that
unnecessary; but even so, today a nine mile ride
on a winter's night looks to some managers like
the end of the world. But John conceived of it a3
building in a new world!
News of the new valley spread quickly and it was
not long before the first pioneers had company. In
the fall of 1872 Mr. Thos. Carrington and Mr.
Thos. Woodward came in. Mr. Woodward brought
his family with him and Mr. Carrington sent for
his family the fall following.    And so the popul-
A millstone does not become covered with moss.—German Proverb. CAPT,   STEPHENSON
We repair all kinds of Rubber including
Tyres, Tubes, Baby Carriage Tyring,
Rubber Boots, Hot  Water  Bottles, Etc.
j. Mcdonald
Make as much out of yourself as you can out of the stuff.—Lord Avebury.
j >>d
■    iitiÉitH
jSä<         a
Ä       "'   '  '
',    ."'"       -   Agjl   J J r*- >M*i
He protected h's
Home against
By Insuring with
By timeiy mending save much spending. ation grew. The entrance of British Columbia into
the Union in 1871 gave a new impetus to exploration and reclamation and many more families
made their home here. By this time the village of
Nicola was beginning to take shape and it looked
as if the place might be destined to become a great
city—but that was not to be, in that century at
least, nor in the first decade of the next.
Owing to the scarcity of Ministers religious services were few in those days. Even if preachers
had been plentiful the comparatively small population would have found it difficult to support one.
But they did not have very long to wait for in the
spring of 1875 the church of Scotland sent iu the
Rev. George Murray, M.A., of Glasgow University.
Mr. Murray was for five years the only representative of the Presbyterian Ministry in British
Columbia east of the Cascades, and missed by just
three weeks the honor of being the first preacher
in the Nicola Valley. The Methodists got ahead of
him and, consequently, to the Kev. John Turner
fell that honor.
It has always been characteristic of these two
great churches that they have ever been equally
aggressive in their Home Mission Work, always
pushing out with the gospel to the farthest bounds
of civilization. Sometimes the Presbyterians arrived first and sometimes the Methodists. Mr.
Murray, however, was not> envious and the two
leaders soon became friends. Both rode horse-back
and enjoyed    it—there were    no Fords in those
days—and though differing from each other in
temperment as much as day differs from night, they
worked together in perfect harmony for the advancement of the ca,use they both had at heart.
Murray was a refined, scholarly, cool and calculating Scotchman, and Turner was a big, hearty,
impulsive, witty and eloquent Irishman. Th-3 Rev.
Mr. McGregor of Victoria accompanied Mr. Murray
to his new charge in Nicola. On their arrival they
halted at the house where most travelers stopped
in those days—Clapperton's. A quaint account of
how they were received is contained in a story still
told by Mr. Thos. Carrington. On discovering who
the newcomers were John Clapperton immediately
dispatched an Indian boy with a note to Thos.
Carrington the context of which read "Come over
Tom and help me receive the divines." Carrington
went over and together the two made the "divines"'
welcome. It was not a large reception committee
but the welcome it extended must have been a
genuine one for the fellowship there commenced
was destined to last for 40 years.
Mr. Murray had been ministering to the people
of the district extending from Yale to Clinton,
touching at Ashcroft and Lillooet, with periodic
visits to Quesnel and intervening points—a circuit
of approximately 600 miles, covered at that time
entirely on horseback; and now the additional
territory of Nicola was added to his parish. He
accepted the new territory with enthusiasm* and
soon found his way into the people's affection. In
at nothing and hit it. fe
J.   P.   BOYD
Always a big variety of goods to choose from
Men's Store in Merritt
Negligence in dress is an error that ought to be corrected.—Steele. Sfiatarg of.tli? JfrrobrjiFriatt <E1|U rriy itt lit? Nirnla Uallcg—(Continued)
1877 he built the first church in the valley—not
very imposing from the outside—but a comfortable "churchy little church" inside. There the
people worshipped and there they have worshipped
ever since. The visitor to the little church today
who is fortunate enough to meet the only remaining resident old timer is sure to be reminded of
"the days when sixty people were packed in there
for worship." Six years after the completion of
the church a splendidly appointed house was
purchased for a manse. Here Mr. Murray and his
family later took up their residence upon his return
to the Nicola field for the second time. This was
the first manse and he was the first resident pastor
in the valley. From Nicola he made trips to the
various surrounding settlements, holding service
every alternate Sunday at one or more of the following points: Stump Lake, "Fraser's," "Moore's,"
Douglas Lake and as far down the valley as the
old 22-Mile House (the former home of Mrs.
Philips and her brother, hereinafter referred to);
with occasional services when possible at Aspen
Grove and Mamette Lake. Every other Sunday he
preached morning and evening in the little village
church at Nicola, and in the afternoon either at
what was then known as Lower Nicola, in the old
schoolhouse, or at Forksdale (commonly called
"The Forks," and now known as Merritt) which
was one of his principal points. For over six years
he preached in the little log schoolhouse which
stood near the spot now occupied by Mr. Barwick's
house on Nicola Avenue. The names of fourfam-
ilies are particularly remembered in connection
with these services: James Chapman, William
Voght, Gilbert Blair, Mrs. Philips and her brother,
Mr. A. J. Gordon. Mrs. Philips is still a worthy
and enthusiastic member of St. Andrew's.
In 1880, finding the strain of his work beginning to tell severely upon his health. Mr. Murray
accepted a call to St. Andrew's Church, New Glasgow. Nova Scotia where he remained for nine
years resigning at the end of that time in order
that he might resume the mission work in the
West in which his heart had always been. It may
be of interest in passing to note that at the hour of
his death in Vancouver on Sunday morning, October 10th, 1917, while on his way to church, the
Centennial Celebration of St. Andrew's, his old
New Glasgow charge, was taking place and an
address from him, sent forward by request, was
being read.
Mr. Murray's place in Nicola during this period
was taken by the Rev. John Chisholm, now in the
Immigration Department in Montreal, uncle of the
late Mrs. (Dr.) Tutill, of Nicola Lake and Merritt,
and Mrs. Pooley, of Pictou, Nova Scotia. Upon his
return in 1889, Mr. Chisholm went to Kamloops.
Finally, in the year 1901, Mr. Murray was appointed government agent, and consequently gave
up his duties as pastor of Nicola. He was follqwed
by Rev. W. F. Gould and Gould was sccceeded by
Rev. Geo. Mason.    During these years, from the re-
As you have sown so also shall you reap.—Cicero.
ÉÉ SjiBtorjj of % {hrrahgteriatt (Eljurrto, in % Ntmla Hallnj—(Continued)
tirement of Mr. Murray in 1901, to the coming of
Mr. Allan in 1904, little of historical interest took
place in the life of the church in the valley. They
were years similar to those through which most
congregations have to pass, when to maintain the
ground already won is to serve with honor. In
1904 Mr. Allan came and, without exception, those
who remember him characterize his as being "one
of the finest fellows " But Mr. Allan was also
a maker of history. He organized the first Sunday
School in Merritt; it was held in the old Merritt
Herald building and continued to meet there for a
number of years. Mrs. G. F. Ransom was the first
teacher and Mr. Philip McLean the first superintendent of the school. It was Mr. Allan, too, who
held the first services at Middlesboro. It is told
of him that many a time he walked the nine miles
from Nicola to Middlesboro and back again in the
most inclement winter weather in order to keep his
preaching appointments.
Mr. W. J. Kidd followed Mr. Allan in 1906.
Merritt by this time, owing to the development being carried on by the various coal companies, haa
grown to considerably larger proportions than
Nicola. Consequently, Mr. Kidd made Merritt his
headquarters instead of the former place. The
village of Nicola, which is one of the beauty spots
of the interior -.of British Columbia, reaches its
height with the completion of the railroad from
Spence's Bridge in 1908 and began to decline with
the  opening  of the  coalfields  at  Forksdale     the
following year. All eyes turned to the mines in
the east end of the valley and interest in Nicola
subsided. The economic call prevailed over that
of the aesthetic and people began to move to the
sphere of operations seven miles away. One by
one business and professional men moved their belongings to the site of the new city. The exodus
continued for two years. Finally, in 1918 the government offices which had operated there for thirty-
eight years were moved to Merritt. For many reasons it -»vas unfortunate, even sad, that Merritt
should grow at the expense of Nicola. In the first
place Nicola is more ideally located tharuMerritt—
the sr.enerv is more pleasing, the altitude is higher
and the climate more equable, it is situated closer
to Nicola Lake—a wonderful sheet of water twelve
miles in length—around which nature has literally
piled up her beauty. Nicola also has a rich historical background, one side of which is seen in
tne army of white and grey tombstones that keep
guard in the little Prsbyterian church cemetery
some dating back to the late 70's, the other in the
architectural features of some of the earliest buildings. But such seems to be the law of progress—
all the beaten trails of the world are strewn with
the remains of those who have ventured out into
the unknown. Finally, in 1919, an English capitalist, bought up most of the surrounding country
and the greater part of the village itself and, as a
consequence, many people moved out, thus leaving
the  once  bustling  and  prosperous  little  town  to
A good reader is nearly as rare as a { GO TO CHURCH
Don't Think About It-Do It
Because it is an investment
that will yield you rich
We all need spiritual capital for the day's
work—It lightens the load and
brightens the way.
St. Andrew's Presbyterian
Church - - Merritt, B. C
Look to thy mouth, diseases enter there.—'George Herbert.
. resemble somewhat a deserted village. But Nicola
may yet come to its own. There are two rumors
afloat, one is that the property is to used as range
land and the other that it is to be turned into a
summer or health resort. It could undoubtedly be
made one of the best and most beautiful resorts in
the Dominion of Canada. If the latter rumor
ptoyofe to be well founded, then Nicola's old glory
may be revived and she may again become an important factor in the religious and business life of
the valley.
Mr. Kidd was only a short time in Merritt when
he set his heart on building a church and from that
time on he planned all his work with this object in
view. Mrs. Kidd with the assistance of Mrs. S. R.
Jackson, organized the first Ladies' Aid and
became its first president. The Aid also worked
hard for the new church, establishing a fund at its
inauguration for that purpose. When opened, their
contribution to the Church furnishings was a splendid new organ. In 1908 the ground for the Church
was secured from Mr. William Voght for the -;um
of $400.00 and a deed was made out in favor of
the following Trustees: Messrs. G. B. Armstrong,
Isaac Eastwood, Alexander J. Gordon, Phillip Mo
Lean and William Voght. A happy choice was
made in the site. The location is ideal in every way,
fronting as it does on the main street of the 3ity—
Quilchena Avenue—and yet sufficiently far from
the centre of the town to be out of range of noise
and bustle.
In 1910 the contract for the building of a new
church was let to Mr. Phillip McLean. In November of the same year the work was completed and
the opening services were held on the first Sunday
in December. The following paragraph taken from
the Merritt Herald of December 9, 1910, reflects
the spirit of the people and their hopes for the
future on this momentous occasion: "The new
Presbyterian church was formally dedicated to service on Sunday last. Large congregations attended
both morning and evening and listened to the in-
spring addresses of Rev. George Murray of Nicola,
and the resident pastor, Rev. W. J. Kidd. Special
music featured the services, a pleasing innovation
being the well organized and well conducted
choir. The collections during the day showed a
generous spirit on the part of the members and
adherents of the congregation and if present indications can be accepted as a criterion the new
church will participate largely in the prosperity-and
happiness that is so conspicious in Merritt." Mr.
Kidd who was still the energteic pastor in these
historv making days was fortunate in being able to
secure the assistance of the Rev. George Murray
for the opening services. Mr. Murray delivered
the special addresses and it was fitting that he
should do so, if for no other reason than that he
had been the first Presbyterian minister in the
valley and connected with its spiritual life for
thirty-five years. They were memorable services,
the prevailing spirit of pastor and congregation be-
^feznran i m 111111 nr
uimmniiiiTmrnTmSC s 5
He is happiest that hath power to gather wisdom from a flower.—Wordsworth. \&
Era SHpat», Ämtt i. ÖL
Pictures shown five nights a week—Monday, Wednesday
Thursday, Friday, Saturday
All the best picture successes shown.
Theatre open for rent LVLRY TUESDAY NIGHT.
Sty? 5J. 31. larurirk do. amu*
WILLIS pianos, victor victrolas, singer sewing
Good physicians are Dr. Diet, Dr. Quiet and Dr. Merryman. DRUGS
Insurance Agent and Notary Public
Insurance in all its branches
Some of the largest companies
in the world represented
If you want Life Insurance, see me
Representing the Sun Life Assurance
Co. of Canada
p. o. box 87 »MERRITT, B C.
Cheerfulness is the rubber tire of life's vehicle. Iftolorii of tl]* jfoBbrjteriatt GUntrrJj in toe Ntrola Hallrg — (Continued)
ing on j cf thankfulness to Almighty God for his
cussing upon their efforts to raise a house to His
name. Prior to the building of the church Merritt
Presbyterians felt very much like wanderers on the
face of. the earth; services had been held in a
multitude of places: Hyland's Hall, old Merritt
Herairi building, Methodist church, Win. Voght's
residence, etc., but now, they were housed in their
own permanent home—they could sit down to worship omder their own vine and fig tree. But much,
however, remained to be done. It had been necessary to raise money by mortgaging the property
and that money would have to be paid. Still, there
was no ground for fear. He who had led them thus
far would not leave them by the wayside, and time
proved that their confidence was well placed for,
in the .year 1921, the last outstanding payment on
the principal of the mortgage was met and the
property stood clear of debt.
Mr. Wm. Voght, the father of Presbyterianism
in Merritt, in memory of his wife, presented the
church with a fine stained glass window which was
placed in the south end of the church overlooking
Mr. Voght's farm residence standing one. block
south—the first farm home to be erected in the
valley. Mr. Voght took up residence here shortly
after the gold rush of '49. He was an ardent
Presbyterian and took a keen interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the Church. His
was the first funeral service to be held in the new
church.    Mr. G. B. Armstrong donated the pulpit
chairs and the bible that is read each Sunday was
the gift of Mr. G. F. Ransom, then the esteemed
church secretary. Miss Helen Smith and Mr. James
Blair had the distinction of being the first couple
married in the new church. Miss Smith was the
daughter of Mrs. P. Smith of Diamond Vale.
In 1921 under the leadership of Mr. Wallace, a
Sunday School room was added to the church and
toward the end of the same year a manse was
erected on the adjoining lot. The school was practically paid for on completion, but a mortgage of
$1500 haa to be secured on the Manse. This debt,
together with other outstanding accounts, amounted to about $1800 at the end of 1922. Since tben
all the outstanding bills have been paid and the
mortgage reduced by $100. It is the aim of the
Management to still further reduce the mortgage
by $750 during the coming year. This will relieve'
the congregation of a considerable part of its bur-r
den of interest and prepare the way for further
development in the way of erecting a "gym" for
the boys and girls, installing a furnace in the
church and painting and decorating both church
and Manse. Every organization in the church is
doing its bit in the raising of the $750, (see page
2), and this little Souvenir Book is the Minister's
The other ministers who/ served in Merritt since
1912 and who contributed of their best to the
Cause of Christ in the valley were: Rev. George
Manson, Rev. J. A. Petrie, Rev. J. Stewart. Rev.
Clé fliiuiilllllll'""""1"""""""
Those two eggs you ate for breakfast might if hatched, have peopled the world with poultr;
J ftatorij of th* iPminoteriatt Qlhurrit in % Ntrola Ballrtj—(Continued)
J. A. Rowland, Rev. J. R. O'Brien, Rev. John Hyde,
Rev. J. Johnston, Rev. Thos. Oswald, Rev. W. J.
McFadden, Rev. B. H. Wallace.
Following are the church organizations and their
officers for 1923:
Session—S. R. Jackson, Philip McLean.
Managing Board—H. A. Guild, Chairman; John
W. North, Treas.; Miss W. New, Secretary; Mrs. W.
Lauder, Tom Smith, W. Gaetor, Mrs. H. Roblic.
Organist—Miss G. B. Ransom.
Choir Leader-^-Miss G. A. Reid.
Ladies Aid—Mrs. H. Roblin, President; Mrs.
Chas. Mcintosh, Vice-president; Mrs. Thomas
Archibald, Sec.-Treas.
Sunday School—W. R. Brown, Superintendent:
Miss A. E. North, Sec.-Treas.; Miss G. B. Ransom,
Miss W. New, Miss W. Turnbull, Mrs. W. Kerr, Mis3
Nora Woodburn, Miss E, McCreight, S. R. Jackson
and W. R. Brown, Teachers.
Young People's Society—Miss Nora Woodburn,
President; Charles Armstrong, Secretary-Treasurer; Miss Blanch Gillis, Groun Leader.
C. G. I. T.—Senior Group—Miss W. New, Leader; Bernice Carrington, President; Fay Gay, Vice-
President; Sarah 'Kerr, Treas.; Florence Britten,
Intermediate Group—Mrs. Fred Gay, Leader;
Ellen Clark, President; Annie Pringle, Secretary;
Gwendlyn McCluen, Treasurer.
Bible Class—Miss Blanch Gillis, President; Miss
Florence Britten, Secretary; W. R. Brown, Teacher.
The Beaver Boys—Miss W. M. New, Leader.
Senior Girls Guild—Miss Gillies, President;
Miss Lillian Collett, Vice Pres.; Miss Winnifred
Turnbull, Secretary. Miss Elva Koiner, Treasurer.
This Church is a comDany of free Christian
people, banded together to help one another, and
the world, to a better life. It extends a fraternal
hand to Christians of every name, creed and station
in life, taking without reserve the declaration of
Jesus. "One is your Master, even Christ, and all ye
are brethren." It aims to erect no barriers that
would keep a single Christian out of its fellowship.
Its members enjoy fullest liberty of faith and
form, and people of most divergent views meet in
loving kindness around its altars. Its Pond of union
is not organization, but sympathy, and it knows no
law but the law of love. We have no dominion over
your faith, but are helpers of your joy.
At All The Services of This Church.
The Minister will be glad to talk with, or help in
any way he can,-anyone in trouble,  anywhere atp
any time.
History, however written, is always a pleasure to us.—Pliny. 1
HE Season of Gifts is approaching, and •
choosing of a gift is no easy matter. We can
help you choose, and a Gift in one of our
Boxes is sure to please. Our stock includes
the World's Best Jewellery Products.     Call.
Jewellers, Merritt, B. C.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever, its loveliness increases.—Keats. litstnry nf tlje HJetljuiitöt Qllfurrij in titt Nimla TfaUig
THE first Methodist minister who was appointed
^k to this valley was Rev. James Turner. In the
year 1874 he resided in Nicola or really Nicola
Was his headquarters. He was an Irishman possessed of a strong constitution, no person could help
respecting this man, for first of all he was consecrated to his work, and was a powerful preacher.
He had a lovely spirit, lots of humor and would go
visit the lonely settler often staying the night with
such people. Always had the spirit of optimism,
always ready to help and sympathize and never left
a home without the people feeling that truly a
great man had been with them. Sunday School
was organized in Lower Nicola in 1880, the superintendent was Harvey H. Woodward. In the year
1883 Rev. J. P. Bowell was appointed minister in
charge. Mr. Bowell was looked upon not only as
a minister but also a Doctor, having had special
training along the lines leading up to the medical
profession. On very many occasions Mr. Bowell
would be called to help some sick person. His
name is held .high and revered by many of the
old time residents. In the year 1883 the Parsonage was built at Nicola. There has been a continuous supply by the  Methodist  Church in    the
Nicola Valley since 1876. The first Ladies' Aid
was formed in 1897, Mrs. (Rev.) R. B. Laidley
was elected the first president. Rev. J. W. Hedley
was appointed to Nicola in 1909. The town of
Merritt was beginning to boom. It was during the
Ministry of Mr. Hedley that the first church was
built in Merritt. Following Mr. Hedley was Rev. T.
C. Conner and the Parsonage at Merritt was built.
Rev. G. R. B. Kinney followed Conner; he left to
join the colors. W. C. Frank next had charge and
was followed by W. R. Welch. Welch was succeeded by the present Pastor, Rev. Henry Wilson.
The official Board for 1923: Mrs. H. Wilson,
Mrs. M. McKibben, Mr. John Dodding, Mr. Robert
Taylor, Mr. F. J. Hogg, Mr. M. McKibben, Mr. R.
Whittäker, Mrs. Howell John, Mrs. Jos. Bevleley,
Mrs. A. Batten, Mr. W. Berkett Jackson, Mrs. G.
Mg^s. Mrs. G..A. Morside Mrs. A. Limb, Mr. David
Dodding, Mr. R. W. Dodding, Mrs. J. R. Jobbling,
Mrs. E. Woodward, Mr. A. R. Carrington, Recording Secretary.
The Methodist Church at Lower Nicola was built
and dedicated in August, 1896, Rev. Hard wick being the Pastor. Those assisting in the dedication
were Rev. J. W. Wood, Chairman of the District,
and Rev. James Calvert from Salmon Arm.
This little church has been the Bethel of many a\
one who have entered her doors, the benefits of
which only Eternity will reveal.
Happy fields, where joy for ever dwells.—Milton. As I am so I see.—Emerson. ®tn> JMnrtli Irralö
The Home Paper for the Home Loving People of the
Nicola Valley.
in  Canada,   $2.50. United   States,   $3.00.
This Booklet was printed in our Job Printing
Distant Fields Look Green
But are they ?
Buy B. C Products
Better still
Buy Products of Nicola
We have them
Except a living man, there is nothing more wonderful than a book.—Charles Kingsley. ittatnrg nf tlte Anglican (Etturrl? in t\xt Nirnla Hatha
^jrHE services of the Anglican Church in this
III valley were conducted in early days by the
^■^ clergy of the Indian Mission, who ministered
to any settlers belonging to the Anglican Communion within the radius of their large sphere of
work and travel.
Shortly after the formation of the Diocese of
New Westminster in 1879, under the care of Bishop
Sillitoe, the headquarters of the Indian Mission
were established at Lytton and the Bishop, generally accompanied by Mrs. Sillitoe, made long and
arduous journeys through the interior of the Pro-
ince ministering to Indians and whites. His first
visit to the Nicola valley was in October, 1881, but
it was not until 1884 that a resident priest in the
person of the late Archdeacon Small was permanently settled at Lytton and able to organize
regular visits to the outlying parts of the large
district. He and his assistants held services for
the white settlers and ministered to them in any
way possible at the time of their visits to the Indian
Reservations. Services were held in such places as
were available; sometimes in the Presbyterian
Church at Nicola; sometimes in the old express
office there; sometimes in an old school house
which stood near where the road now crosses the
railway track to the Collettville Bridge between
Merritt and Coutlee. The latter building has long
since disappeared.
In the year 1899 it was decided to build a church
and measures were taken to raise funds for the
same by subscription. A piece of ground was given
as a site by Mr. Edward Dalley, whose ranch is now
part of the "Nicola Stock Farm" and the response
to appeals both here and in England must have
been very satisfactory for the church was opened
free of any debt and consecrated by Bishop Dart,
second Bishop of New Westminster, under the dedication of St. John the Baptist. Mr. N. J. Barwiek
was contractor for the building and Dr. Sutton, who
was then practising at Nicola, and Mr. Wm. Pooley,
of Tamerton Ranch, were the first wardens of the
Services were held in the newly opened church
at regular intervals by Archdeacon Small and his
colleagues, the Rev. J. S. A. Bastin, now working
on Vancouver Island, and the Rev. E. W. W. Pu?h,
now Archdeacon of Lytton and head of the Indian
Mission in succession to Archdeacon Small who departed this life on April 29th, 1909.
In March 1905, the Rev. Wm. Govier, who was
then in Deacon's Orders, came to reside and work
in the valley under the direction of the Indian
Mission and he held services and performed such
offices as a Deacon may perform; the priests of the
Mission administered Holy Communion at their
monthly visits to the district. Mr. Govier resigned
in April 1906 to take up duties at Maple Ridge and
services were again held monthly by the clergy
from Lytton, until the Rev. J. Thompson came out
He mcketh me to lie down in green pastures.- Tony Parrottino
Philip McLean
INSURANCE-Fire, Life, Accident,
If you are interested in the greatest Book in all the world—its history
its characters, its ethics, its religion
and its influence—-become a member
of St. Andrew's Bible Class. It meets
every Sunday afternoon at 2.30 in
the Church. The fullest discussion on
all points is invited.Led by the min^-
The Bible is the secret of England's Greatness.—Victoria. from England early in 1907 to taxe charge of the
Missionary District of the Nicola valley and parts
adjacent, under the direction of the Bishop, and
quite distinct from the Indian Mission. After
working in Deacon's orders for five months, he was
ordained priest by Bishop Dart in St. John's Church
Yale, on Michaelmas Day 1907, and became the
first Vicar of the Nicola valley. Nicola then was
quite a busy little town and well attended services
were held in the churcn every Sunday. Services
were also held at Quilchena every other Sunday,
first in the old Agricultural Hall and then in the
parlor of the old hotel, with celebrations of Holy
Communion at Mrs. Mickle's ranch. At Coutlee,
services were held on the other two Sundays in the
month in the sitting room of Mr. H. S. Cleasbys
old ranch house.
In the meantime population of the "Forks" began to increase and it was felt to be in the interest
church to have the district of the work of the
divided and simplify matters especially with regard
to finances. As a result of this feeling a special
vestry meeting was held in the church at Nicola on
Sunday, Nov. 3rd, 1908, to consider the matter, and
it was decided, with the consent of the Diocesan
Executive Committee, to form the district into two
separate parishes, the dividing line to be the line
dividing townships 91 and 93.
Consequently the place of service was changed
from Coutlee to "Willowdale," the white house at
the foot of the cemetery hill, which Dr. Tutill had
recently purchased from Mr. Green Armitage. It
was in the dining room of that ho-se that the firs'
vestry meeting of the new parish was held. At that
meeting Dr. Tutill was appointed Vicar's warden
and Mr. H. S. Cleasby warden for the people. It
was decided to name the parish St. Michaels,
which would of course be the dedication of the
church whenever built. Since that time services
have been held in many places; among them, the
Diamond Vale offices, when the only music pro-;
vided was Mrs. Tutill's auto-harp, to the accompaniment of which hymns- and chants were heartily sung; Hyland's Hall, where the first baptism
took place and a large soup plate served as a baptismal font, a hall over the former printing office
on Nicola Ave., now converted into a dwelling and
owned   by Mr.  Lobsinger.
With a view to future needs, lots were purchased
on the Voght townsite where the church now
stands. The population of the town was gradually
increasing and it was decided that it would be in
the interests of the church to ' have a resident
minister for St. Michael's Parish. Mr. T. Walker
came out from England and was ordained Deacon
on July 31st, 1910, in Holy Trinity Church, New
Westminster. His ordination was Bishop dePen-
cier's first official act and took place on the Sunday after his own consecration.
It is the lifted face that feels the shining of the sun.—McKeown. A.   JACKSON
P    O.   BOX   27
General Hardware
Plumbing and Healing
Sheet Melal W< rk
Repairs our Specialty.
If little labor, little ar© our gains, men's fortunes are according to our pains.—Herrick, Sjfetnrg xrf tlf? Attnimm <Bljtirrl| in tip? Ntrnla UaUnj—(Continued)
Bishop de Pencier, the third and present Bishop
of New Westminster, paid his first official visit to
the valley in February, 1911, and as a result of his
visit the present Parish Hall was built. The Bishop
promised to contribute $100 to the building on
condition that it was built and ready to open free
of debt at a given date in the spring. This was
done and the Bishop came up from Vancouver to
offically open the building for church use. Here Mr.
Walker held services Sunday by Sunday for some
months, until he met with a serious accident while
cycling home from a visit to the Lower Nicola end
of the parish. He was struck and badly injured by
a piece of rock from a blast on November 1st,
1911, and after being confined to nis bed for some
time in Merritt, he was taken to St. Luke's Home,
Vancouver. Mr. Thompson came again on alternate
Sundays to conduct services until such time as it
was possible for Mr. Walker to return and resume
his work. -This, however, was not to be and he resigned and shortly afterwards died at St. Luke's
Home and was laid to rest in Mountain View Ceme-
tary, Vancouver. At the Bishop's request Mr.
Thompson again tcok charge of the Merritt parish
along with Nicola.
The congregation at Merritt, while grateful to
have a hall of their own in which to worship, were
anxious for a real church building, in some measure worthy of Him to whom worship is offered, and
after much thought and consideration on the subject, it was decided to raise money by subscription
and obtain plans for a suitable building. About
$4 000 was given and promised and plans were adopted drawn up by Messrs. Honeyman & Curtis, of
Vancouver, for a building to cost over $6000. A
mortgage was arranged for the $2000 and this is
being gradually reduced, mainly through the efforts
of the Woman's Auxiliary. The corner stone of the
church which was prepared by Mr. Geo. Irvine, in
such a way as to contain within it various documents and coins of the realm, was laid by Bishop
de Pencier on July 12th, 1913. The building was
completed and formally opened under the dedication of St. Michael on October 19th, 1913, by
Archdeacon Heathcote, who also preached at the
morning service. The Vicar preached at Evensong
altar candlesticks and vases are those formerly
used in the Parish Hall and were given by Mrs.
Langstaff and Mrs. Tredwin. The organ, which is
nf exceptionally good tone, was bought and given
by the W. A.
Mr. Thompson resigned the charge of Nicola and
Merritt and left for work in the Diocese of Algoma
in January, 1915. His successor, the Rev. A. H.
Plummer, was appointed by the Bishop and assumed his duties on February 28th or that year. Merritt, now being the main centre of population, it
was deemed advisable for the Vicar to reside there
and the Vicarage at Nicola was rented. Mr. Plummer served the two Parishes until October of that
year and then accepted work in tht» Indian Mission
and took up his residence at Shulus. The Parishes
The Road to the Heavenly City is Never Closed for Repairs.—Haynes. f
fiatorg of tlir Annltran (SHjnrrlj in ttje Nirola Balbg— (Continued)
were vacant until March 1st, 1916, when the Rev.
N! J. Thompson, formerly Vicar of Lynn Valley.
B. C, assumed charge.
Rev. N. J. Thompson resigned his charge at the
end of June 1918, and left to undertake work at
Stayner, Ont., in the Diocese of Toronto, and the
Rev. J. Thompson, former Vicar, returned from the
Diocese of Algoma and again took charge of the
Parishes of Merritt and Nicola in September, 1918,
and is-the present Vicar. The mortgage on the
church at Merritt which then stood at $2000 has
been reduced to $1200, mainly through the efforts
cf the W. A. In 1922 a house was purchased for a
residence for the clergyman.
The latest addition to the furnishings of the
chu'-eh is a lectern, placed there by members of the
W. A., which bears on a small brass plate the
following inscription, "In Memoriam Grace Douglas
Tutill 1923, Presented by W. A." Mrs Tutiil's ser-
vices in connection w*th the music and Li every
other form of church work in connection with both
parishes will not soon be forgotten.
St. Michael's i has a Sunday School of some forty
children with Mr, and Mrs. Frank Thompson as
their devoted teachers. The Women's Auxiliary,
which developed from the original     Ladies' Guild
numbers over thirty members and the church owes
much to the efforts of this body of workers. Their
capable President, Mrs. J. Crawford, has been reelected many times. A "Girls' Guild," organized by
Mrs. Thompson (the Vicar's wife) meets weekly
under her Presidency and the result of their work
is no small contribution to the finances of the
The present wardens of the parish are Dr. Tutill
and Mr. W.C. Parker and Mr. W.R. Langstaff is the
capable and untiring Secy-Treas. At Nicola during
the late war when men were not available to fill
the office of church warden, the Bishop sanctioned
the appointment of Mrs. LA. Mickle (a resident of
the valley since 1870) to act in that capacity. She
still continues to do so, and has the unique dis
tinction of being the first Lady church warden in
B.C., if not in the whole Dominion.
In addition to names already mentioned there
are others which might well find a place in any
history of the Anglican Church in the Nicola Valley
but in the present short sketch they must be
omitted. Many have passed beyond our earthly ken,
but their memory is still deeply cherished and the
work they did in their day has not been without result. The earthly remains of many of them are
resting in the cemetaries of the Valley, othersHie
in near and distant places, but we think of them as
united in the life of the church beyond the Veil.
Any fool can serve Satan, but it takes  a man to serve Christ. Jtafit QDffire Snfnrntatinn
Mails are despatched from Merritt post office as
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for Brook-
mere, Princeton. Penticton, Nelson and points east
at 12.15 p.m.
Wednesday and Fridays for Vancouver and points
west at 12.15 p.m.
Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturday for Spence's
Bridge and points east and west at 10.35 a.m.
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for Princeton, Penticton, Nelson and points east at 5.15 p.m.
Saturday for Vancouver at 5.15 p.m.
Mails are due to arrive Mondays, Wednesdays
and Fridays at 8 a.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays and
Saturdays at 10.35 a.m. and 6.45 p.m.
Letters—Canada, U.S. and. Mexico, 3c. for first
ounce and 2c. for each additional ounce; to
Great Britian and all other countries within the
Empire, 4c. for first ounce and 3e. for each additional ounce; other countries 10c. for first ounce
and 5c. for each additional ounce.
Postcards—Canada,     Great Britian,  TJ.S.A.  and
Mexico, 2c. each; other countries 6c. each.
Canadian   Newspapers—Canada,   Great   Britain,
the Empiie, U.S. and Mexico, lc. per 4 ounces.
Pririted Matter—
er 2 ounces; othe
-Canada,    U.S. and Mexico,  lc.
: countries, 2c. per 2 ounces.
Parcel Post—To points in British Columbia, 10c.
for first pound, 5 c. for each additional pound
other provinces according to zones. United States,
12c. per pound. Limit of weight in all cases, 11
pounds. ,
Parcels posted in Canada for delivery within
Canada may be insured according to value. Charges
very reasonable; inquire of postmaster.
Registration—All classes of mail matter posted
in Canada (except parcel post packages for delivery in Canada, Great Britian, and other countries'»
may be registered at a uniform fee of ten cents, in
addition to postage.
Order is heaven's first law.- The CITY OF MERRITT
In the heart of the Best Part of British Columbia
Unexcelled for Farming
Lumbering and Mining
Free Industrial Sites, Cheap Power and Water, Good Roads
Splendid High and Public Schools, First-class Hospital, Four Churches,
Electric Light, Good Railway Connection, Excellent Hotel Accommodation.
Largest Lumbering Industry tn the Interior of B.C., Producing Coal Mines,
Silver,   Copper  and other mines   in   course of  development,   Ranching.
F. S. GAY, City Clerk,
To whom communications shculd be addressed.
Not in pulling down but in building Up does man find pure joy.—Goethe, She <&«u nf fflntitt
/»HE Nicola valley is situate 165 miles due east
it\ of Vancouver and comprises the country lying
^^ between the Thompson river on the north and
the Similkameen on the south and is bounded on
the east and west respectively by the Okanagan
valleys. The extent of the arable land in the valley
is 170,000 acres, the greater part of which is used
for range purposes. For this reason the valley has
become famous throughout Canada as a stock raising country. As many as 5,000 head of cattle have
been shipped to the§ various marxets in the Dominion in a single year. But all kinds of soil,
suitable for most crops, can be found on the bench
and bottom lands.
The City of Merritt is situate to the north-east
end of the valley. It is a comparatively new town
and is therefore neither rich in history nor tradition. But over against this it has no old mistakes
or prejudices to live down—only a glorious future
to build up. The last quarter of the nineteenth
century the territory now covered by the City of
Merritt and its environs was used as range and
farm land and the names of the owners are still
fresh in the memory of many people. They were
Chapman, Voght, Charters, Gordon, Garcia, Arvn-
atage. Indeed sofe of them are still hale and
hearty citizens of Merritt.
In the early days of the present century coal was
discovered in Diamond Vale and Middlesboro and
in 1906 when the C. P. R. started to build a line
up the valley from Spence's Bridge to Nicola lake
the townsite of Forksdale was subdivided into lots.
Two years later when the Nicola Valley Coal &
Coke Company and the Diamond Vale Company
began to take out coal in large quantities, the town
of Merritt sprang into existence. It was not, however, until the years 1910-1911 that the phenom-
onal growth took place. In the latter quarter of
1911 the slogan was "Merritt grows in sixty
days." And so it did. In that length of time the
city grew to three-forths its present size. Since
then it has been slowly but permanently growing.
Building did not proceed ahead of the demand and,
consequently, the town has been spared the sick
headaches—caused by disappointed hopes and
shattered bank accounts—which have been the lot
of so many western towns that have indulged in
artificial "booms."
Merritt is the most important town in the Nicola
valley. Indeed, it is now a city, and one of the
largest cities between the Pacific coast and the
Nicola valley, having a population of 2000 odd
inhabitants. It is a most up-to-date city, replete
with all modern conveniences; linked up with two
railroads, government telephone, city water, rolled
streets, concrete sidewalks, electric light, park,
skating rink, city hall, court house and Armory.
The majority of the public utilities are owned and
operated by the city.
Cattle, coal and lumber form the backbone
of the city's economic life. The Middlesboro Mines
have an annual output of approximately 100,000
There is always work and tools to work withal för those who will.—Lowell. f
MERRITT   -   -    B.  C.
YOUR REQUIREMENTS WILL be well looked after at this store.
Some men give trouble, others take trouble.—Avebury Otyr (£Ug of ilffrrttt—(Continued)
tons and a payroll of $280,000.00. The Nicola
Pine Mills—a more recent acquisition to the industrial life of the city—turn out 35,000,000 feet
of lumber annually and have an annual payroll of
half a million dollars. The Douglas Lake, Guichon
and Nicola Stock Farm cattle companies and other
small producers employ a large number of men and
distribute much money in the valley annually.
Another industry that is fast becoming an important factor in the economic life of the valley
is that of Fox Farming. Starting on a small scale
in 1921 with sixteen pairs of the best variety silver
foxes the "Merit For Ranch" operated by Dr. J.
J. Gillis has now in the neighborhood of three
hundred animals in pens that cover almost two
acres of ground. The farm is ideally located in the
foothills two miles east of the city at an altitude
where the winter temperature is just right for the
production of the finest fur. Plant and animals
together represent aoout sixty thousand dollars in
value. Messrs. Charles and Edgar Collett are in
charge of the farm. The other breeders in the district are A. E. Axton, W. Crompton, J. Guichon,
Mrs. Marshall, Isaac Millar. Mrs. Eric Gavelin, all
of whom are having good success. Merritt is headquarters of the B. C. Fox Breeders Association of
which the Hon. E. D. Barrow is Honorary President; Mr. D. A. Dunbar, Honorary Vice-President:
Mr. A. E. Axton, President; Mr. Ian Gibson, Secretary-Treasurer.
Fdu^ationallv the City of Merritt. for its size,
takes second place to none in the Dominion.    If
there is any truth in H. G. Wells' dictum that there
is in progress in the world today a race between
education and catastrophe then Merritt is doing
its bit to avert the evil. The public school has
grown in fifteen years from one teacher, one room
and ten children to ten teachers, ten rooms and
four hundred children. Mrs. Harry Priest was the
teacher in those days and the school was conducted
in Menzies' Hall. The first school in the district,
however dates back to 1876. It was a little log cabin
situated near the bank of the river. It catered to
the first ranchers. Mr. Archie Irwin was the teacher. He taught in Lower Nicola and at the Forks
on alternate days. The city has now two splendid
school buildings which cost in the neighborhood
of sixty thousand dollars. This year—1923—
Merritt led the province in the entrance examinations, Miss Alma Farenhurst capturing the Governor-General's gold medal. Last year Mr. Ralph
Fletcher-led the province in the second year high
school examinations. A Superior School was inaugurated in 1913 and this was raised to tiie
status of High School in 1921. There are now
thirty pupils on the Roil. Mr. L. E. Morrissey is the
principal, and Miss G. A. Reid the vice-principal.
The ten divisions in the public schools are in
charge of: Miss P. D. Faulkner, Mr. G. G. C'ir.-ie,
Miss E. I. Horner, Miss G. Allen, Miss J. Forster,
Miss A. E. North, Miss J. Mclntyre, Miss M. McDonald, Miss B. A.  Gillies, Miss W. M. New.
The  Nicola Valley  General  Hospital  is  one  of
Merritt's most prized institutions. The building was
Industry is the parent of fortune. erected in 1911 and in 1920 a splendidly appointed
Nurses Home was added, bringing the cost of the
plant up to about $40,000. Last year—1922—a Victor X-Ray machine was installed at a cost of $4,100
an investment which has proved well warranted.
But probably the most praisworthy feature about
the institution is not to be found in the expensive-
ness or the elaboratness of its equipment but in the
fact that last year the hospital held the record in
E. C. for the minimum ratio of deaths for the number of patients treated. For this reason great credit
is due to the staff. Miss L. P. Stinson is Matron and
Misses C. G. Batten, Miss C. Dennis, Miss Gay, Miss
Roesch and Miss Zettergreen are the Graduate
Nurses. The Probationers are: Miss Ransom, Miss
Netherton, Miss McGillivray, Miss Clements. The
Hospital Board is made up as follows: Honorary
Directors Drs. J. J. and A. F. Gillis and Dr. G. H.
Tutill: President, Mr. M. L. Grimmett; Vice-President, Aid. Robert Taylor; Secretary, Mr. A. R.;
Carrington; Members, Messrs. Captain Stephenson,
L. Clark. Sr., E. T. Roblin, R. S. Brown, Robert
WhittaJker, Government Representatives, Mr. E. G.
S. White and Mr. W. H. Boothroyd.
Merritt also stands high in the realm of religion.
There are four places of public worship: Roman
Catholic, Anglican, Methodist and Presbyterian,
each having its" own resident pastor. The Brethren
are also represented. Weekly divine service and
Sabbath School are held in all the churches. The
buildings are comparatively new, well equipped and
loyally supported. All the auxiliary societies:
Ladies Aids, Girls Guilds, Young People's Societies
and C. G. I. T. groups are popular and healthy institutions.
In the realm of sport there is quality, variety
and enthusiasm the year round, in the summertime—Golf, Tennis, Football, Swimming, hunting
and fishing draw their devotees. And in the winter time—curling, hockey, basketball, skating,
sleighing and dancing are loyally supported. Last
winter—1922—representatives of the Merritt
Curling Club won the P. Burns Challenge Cup and
other trophies in open competition at Kamloops,
and this summer—1923—Merritt golfers, after a
brief visit to the Okanagan—brought home the
Princeton Challenge Cup.
The climate, in Merritt is unexcelled—generally
mild and dry. Situated at an elevation of 1750
above sea level the atmosphere is always clear and
exhilarating. Summer and winter temperatures are
never excessively hot or cold. Notwithstanding its
elevation Merritt is sheltered by the surrounding
mountains from the cold north winds in the winter
time and in the summertime the same mountains
insure cool evenings ancLnights. The valley is famous for its sunshine and has been well named "tns
valley of Sunshine" for there is scarcely a dav in
the year when that luminary fails to make j.n
appearance. It is the opinion of the writer 'bvt
there is no more congenial place in Canada for one
to live, work, and bring up a family.
Thrift is the fuel of magnificence.—.--Sir P. Sidney ®tf? Unman (ttatljiiltr QIJ|itrrly in tij? Ntwla lffallfy
^5THE Catholic church has had a steady growth in
Km/ Merritt and district. Starting in a small way
in 1906 in the home of Mr. J. Garcia, it has
now a commodous building and a strong parish.
This church has always taken a keen interest in
the Indian people. The following brief sketch contributed by the Rev. Father J. M. LeJaune, O. M. I.,
of Kamloops, one of the valley's highly respected
pioneer religious leaders, will speak for itself:
My first trip to Nicola was in November, 1882. 1
do not remember having seen any church building
then between Kamloops and Spence's Bridge. I
had the use of a very primitive one at Coldwater in
1885. Next was the one at Douglas Lake in 1888.
The actual one at Coldwater was finished in the
fall of 1890. A couple of years later, I had the one
near the lake, three miles east of Quilchena, and
last of all, the one for Shooloos, in 1902. These
are all for the Indians especially, of whom there
were about 500 attendants, but owing to disease
and the "flue" there are hardly half that number
now. The church at Merritt was built in 1910. Mr.
Garcia having donated the acre block where it
stands. The Rev. Father Falen is the present'
Mr. Garcia was one of the original settlers in
the valley, He owned the estate now in the possession of Mr, William Lauder ond was one of the
valley's most successful ranchers, A devout Roman
Catholic his home was always open to the church
to hold Mass in those days when there was no
church building and he and his family always made
the members of the congregation reel welcome at
their home, He is entitled to be called the father of
Catholicism in the. Nicola Valley,
Kindness, like seeds, increase by sowing. Wm. Voght. Father of Merritt
Nicola, Showing Presbyterian Church Iht tott fe Jarm 1 - - *«T
Mmhtrs of jRggtatmft lottor Hark jfaxgg
we have on our ranch foxes of the finest quality fur and most prolific strain
parties interested in the silver fox industry would do well to visit our ranch
before purchasing elsewhere or write us for information
The  Pine  People"
50,000,000 Feet Lumber
Five Million Pieces Lath
'Prairie 'Provinces
Eastern Canada
United States
British Isles
South Africa
Direct Representation
Toronto, Ont.    "
New York, N. Y. '
Chicago, III.
Spokane, Wash.
established under Western
Pine  dissociation  Rules, the
standard in all markets.
All lumber thoroughly dried
under ideal climatic conditions
supplemented by a modern
battery of efficient dry £i/ns.
Our organization can handle
your order with entire


Citation Scheme:


Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics



Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            async >
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:


Related Items