Open Collections

BC Historical Books

BC Historical Books

BC Historical Books

Report of the Public Archives for the years 1953-1954 Public Archives of Canada; Lamb, W. Kaye (William Kaye), 1904- 1956

Item Metadata

Download

Media
bcbooks-1.0314568.pdf
Metadata
JSON: bcbooks-1.0314568.json
JSON-LD: bcbooks-1.0314568-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): bcbooks-1.0314568-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: bcbooks-1.0314568-rdf.json
Turtle: bcbooks-1.0314568-turtle.txt
N-Triples: bcbooks-1.0314568-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: bcbooks-1.0314568-source.json
Full Text
bcbooks-1.0314568-fulltext.txt
Citation
bcbooks-1.0314568.ris

Full Text

Array   REPORT OF
THE PUBLIC ARCHIVES
63766—1  canada
REPORT
of the
PUBLIC ARCHIVES
FOR THE YEARS
1953-1954
EDMOND CLOUTIER, C.M.G., OA., D.S.P.
QUEEN'S PRINTER AND CONTROLLER OF STATIONERY
OTTAWA, 1956
Price 25 cents  Ottawa, August 1, 1955.
The Honourable J. W. Pickersgill,
Minister of Citizenship and Immigration,
Ottawa.
Sir,—I have the honour to submit herewith the Report of
the Public Archives for the years 1953 and 1954.
Extensive additions have been made to the collections, and
arrangements have been completed that should make it possible
for the Archives to function soon as a public record office for
Canada. Details of these and other developments are given in
the pages that follow.
Respectfully submitted,
Wm. Kaye Lamb,
Dominion Archivist.
63765—2  Report of the Public Archives: 1953 and 1954
Developments of great importance to the Public Archives
took place in this two-year period. An agreement was concluded
under the terms of which the personal papers of the late Rt. Hon.
W. L. Mackenzie King will become the property of the nation;
other notable additions were made to the department's collection of post-Confederation political papers; the Archives, in
association with the Brome County Historical Society, carried
out an experiment in the cataloguing and microfilming of manuscripts; large shipments of microfilm copies of documents were
received from London and Paris; and, lastly, the contract was let
for the construction of a large new Records Centre at Tunney's
Pasture, in Ottawa West.
MANUSCRIPT DIVISION
The Mackenzie King Papers
The importance of Mr. Mackenzie King's papers requires no
emphasis here. They form by far the largest collection of correspondence, memoranda, etc., ever assembled by any political
leader in this country, and they document in a quite extraordinary and detailed way Mr. King's long career in public life.
The papers proper, not including a mass of supplementary material, consist of over one and a half million documents. They will
be a major source for historians and political scientists for many
years to come.
In his will Mr. King gave his Literary Executors powers to
deposit his papers in the Public Archives. With this end in
view an agreement was concluded on June 7, 1954, between Her
Majesty the Queen, represented by the Rt. Hon. Louis S. St.
Laurent, Prime Minister of Canada, and the Literary Executors.
Under its provisions the papers were placed immediately in the
custody of the Dominion Archivist, but they will continue to be
the property of the Executors until July 22, 1975, the twenty-
fifth anniversary of Mr. King's death. Until January 1, 1964,
access to the papers will be controlled directly by the Literary
Executors; between that date and July 22, 1975, access will be
63765—21 8 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
subject to conditions laid down by the Executors. On the latter
day "all right, title and interest in and to the documents . . .
shall vest in Her Majesty absolutely."
In accordance with the provisions of Mr. King's will, his
diaries are specifically excluded from the papers to be transferred
to the Crown.
Owing to the great size of the collection many of the less
important papers and much of the supplementary material
have not yet been sorted. Amongst them will be found many
items of no historical value that should be discarded, and provision for this is made in the agreement. As the sorting proceeds
the Literary Executors may withdraw material that appears to
them to be useless, but no document is to be destroyed without
the consent of the Dominion Archivist.
The cataloguing of the more important papers is now well
advanced, and I should like to take this opportunity of acknowledging the most generous assistance given in this work by the
Rockefeller Foundation. It will be recalled that the Foundation
made a grant to assist Mr. King in the preparation of his memoir»
This project was not carried very far, and after Mr. King's
death the balance outstanding and a further grant were made
available to enable the Literary Executors to commission a life
of the late Prime Minister. The staff engaged to assist the biographer has done a great amount of sorting and cataloguing, and;;
the Archives will eventually fall heir to the results of their labours.
Other Post-Confederation Political Papers
Important political papers continue to reach the Archives
in a steady flow, and the volume of material available is growing
in a most satisfactory way.    Collections received in 1953-5Ï
included the following:
Foster Papers. Sir George E. Foster (1847-1931) had a
long and distinguished career in public life. He was
Minister of Marine and Fisheries (1885-88) and Minister of Finance (1888-91) in the second Macdonald
administration, and held the latter portfolio in the
succeeding Abbott, Thompson, Bowell and Tupper
cabinets (1891-96). In 1911 he joined the Borden
government as Minister of Trade and Commerce, and
held the same office in the Union Government and
the first Meighen cabinet.    He was a member of the REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 9
Canadian delegation to the Paris Peace Conference,
and chairman of the Canadian delegation to the First
Assembly of the League of Nations. In 1921 he was
appointed to the Senate. Foster's extensive and valuable papers, which occupy more than 30 feet of
shelving, include correspondence, diaries, subject files,
note books, etc. Relatively few of the papers are
dated earlier than 1900. The collection was acquired
by the Archives through the kindness of Dr. W. Stewart
Wallace and Dr. George W. Spragge.
Sifton Papers. Sir Clifford Sifton (1861-1929), Minister of
the Interior and a very influential member of the
Laurier Cabinet from 1896 to 1905, was largely responsible for the vigorous immigration policy that
brought great numbers of settlers to the Canadian
West at the turn of the century. His papers were
presented to the Archives by his son, Lt.-Col. Victor
Sifton, C.B.E., of Winnipeg. The collection is extensive, consisting of over 166,000 pages. The period
covered is 1889 to 1926, but more than three-quarters
of the material relates to the years 1889-1905.
Dafoe Papers. John W. Dafoe (1866-1944), editor of the
Winnipeg Free Press for over forty years, exercised a
major influence on Canadian political life over a long
period. His papers were sent to the Archives on loan
for microfilming by Lt.-Col. Victor Sifton, after which
the original documents were presented to the University of Manitoba Library. Purely personal letters
and letters relating to the business affairs of the Free
Press axe not included in the microfilm copy. The
papers consist of about 8500 pages.
Woodsworth Papers. J. S. Woodsworth (1874-1942), social
service pioneer and first leader of the Co-operative
Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.), unfortunately
burned most of his papers in 1940, when he moved
from his old home in Winnipeg. With the help of
members of his family and friends, the Archives is
attempting to assemble a collection that will in some
measure document his life and work. Six scrapbooks,
valuable because they contain cuttings from many
journals that have disappeared, came from Woods-
worth House, Ottawa; the letters Woodsworth wrote PUBLIC ARCHIVES
from Oxford in 1899-1900, a further series written to
his mother in the period 1891-1901, and other correspondence and memoranda were presented by his
daughters, Mrs. Angus Maclnnis and Mrs. R. S.
Staples.
Of kindred interest was a group of papers presented
by Mr. H. E. Spencer; these consist of memoranda, etc.,
relating to the United Farmers of Alberta, and to
political matters about the time the C.C.F. came into
being.
Tupper Papers. The main body of the papers of Sir Charles
Tupper, Bart. (1821-1915), one of the Fathers of
Confederation and Prime Minister of Canada in 1896,
was presented to the Archives many years ago.
Through the kindness of his grandson, Mr. R. H.
Tupper, Q.C., of Vancouver, and the University of
British Columbia, about 500 additional letters have
been added to the collection. At the same time the
Archives catalogued and microfilmed a collection of the
papers of Sir Charles Hibbert Tupper; the originals
were then returned to the University of British
Columbia. The Hibbert Tupper papers relate chiefly
to the Bering Sea arbitration, in which he was agent
for Great Britain, and to the Provincial Party of B.C.,
a "third party" that was active in the election of 1924.
Magrath Papers. The papers assembled by Charles A.
Magrath (1860-1949) while he served as a member of
the Newfoundland Royal Commission appointed by the
British Government in 1933, have been transferred to
the Archives by the Department of External Affairs.
After the Commission reported, it was agreed that Mr.
Magrath's papers should be deposited with the Canadian Government; but they will not be available for
research until records of the period are opened for use
by the British Government.
Cohan Papers. This small collection, occupying 14 inches
of shelf-space, appears to be all that remains of the
papers of the Hon. C. H. Cahan (1861-1944), Secretary
of State in the Bennett Cabinet, 1930-1935. The
papers consist of correspondence, speeches and memoranda relating to the years 1933-1939.    They include REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 11
some interesting letters on proposed amendments to
the B.N.A. Act, and memoranda on other constitutional matters and on copyright. The collection was
presented by Miss Gladys Dudley.
Ballantyne Papers. Mr. Murray Ballantyne, son of the
late Senator C. C. Ballantyne, presented to the Archives
the contents of two of his father's despatch boxes.
These contained memoranda, etc., relating to the
Imperial Conference of 1921. Mr. Ballantyne held
the portfolios of Minister of Marine and Fisheries and
Minister for the Naval Service, 1917-21. The gift
included photostats of a series of letters addressed
to Ballantyne by Sir Wilfrid Laurier and Sir Robert
Borden.
Gibbons Papers. The papers of Sir George Christie Gibbons
were presented to the Archives in 1952 by his grandson,
Mr. Allan Gibbons, who has since made important
additions to the gift. These include a series of letters
from Chandler P. Anderson, who represented the
United States in the negotiations that led to the
Boundary Waters Treaty of 1909, and the papers of
George Sutton Gibbons relating to the general election
of 1917.
McLennan Papers. John McLennan sat in the House of
Commons as Conservative Member for Glengarry,
1878-1882. The papers acquired consist of about 900
pages and relate mostly to the years 1877-79. They
are interesting because they illustrate the activities and
problems of a private member at election time, and
reveal many of the links that connected business and
political interests of the day.
Twenty-four original letters written by Sir John A.
Macdonald, and a facsimile of a twenty-fifth, were acquired.
Eighteen of the originals were addressed to Senator John
O'Donohoe in the period 1879-1885; they were presented by
Miss Mary Rennie, of New York. The other six originals were
written to H. E. Clarke, M.L.A., in 1886-1887. They were the
gift of Mrs. H. J. Cody, of Toronto. Mr. Harold Daly, Q.C.,
presented a copy of Macdonald's will, and allowed the Archives
to photostat a letter written by Macdonald to his father, Thomas
Mayne Daly, in 1886. 12 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
Ten letters written by Sir Wilfrid Laurier to Henri Bourassa
during the years 1895-1904 were presented by the latter's
daughter, Miss Anne Bourassa, of Montreal. They throw
interesting light on the relations between these two great leaders
of French Canada. Equally interesting is a collection of
miscellaneous papers relating to the Laurier family acquired
from Madame Mozart Desmarais, a granddaughter of Sir
Wilfrid's half-brother, Charlemagne Laurier. They include
items by Charles Laurier, Sir Wilfrid's grandfather, relating to
surveying and mathematics, and various commissions issued to
his father, Carolus Laurier.
Two small groups of letters slightly earlier in date may be
mentioned here. The first consists of copies of seven letters
written by Thomas D'Arcy McGee to John (later Senator§|
O'Donohoe in 1859-1861. The originals appear to have been
destroyed; the transcripts were the gift of Miss Adele Spry, of
Barrie, Ontario. The second group includes two letters written
by Joseph Howe in 1863 to his half-sister, and two others writt^H|
in 1865 to her daughter. The originals are owned by Mr. A. J.
MacCallum, of Gleichen, Alberta; he was kind enough to allow
the Archives to borrow and photostat them. All four letters
were printed in the Report of the Public Archives of Nova
Scotia for the year 1953.
Papers of Colonial Secretaries
The Archives has in its collections the papers of a number
of persons who held either the office of Secretary of State for the
Colonies or that of Governor General of Canada. These have
been so useful to historians that a systematic attempt is now
being made to secure in some form (original, transcript or microfilm) the papers of all holders of these offices, insofar as they
relate to Canadian affairs. Microfilm copies of selected papers
from two important collections were received late in 1954:
Derby Papers. Three successive Earls of Derby held thé
office of Colonial Secretary. The 14th and 15th Earls
each held the post twice (the 14th Earl in 1833-1834
and 1841-1845, and his son in 1858 and 1882-1885).
The 16th Earl served first as Secretary of State for the
Colonies (1885-1886) and then as Governor General
(as Lord Stanley, 1888-1893). In 1954 the 18th Earl of
Derby very kindly allowed the Dominion Archivist to
examine the papers in the strong room at Knowsley REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 13
Hall, and to select papers of Canadian interest for
microfilming. Approximately 3000 pages of documents were photographed. These are all from the
papers of the 14th and 15th Earls. The papers of the
16th Earl have not been found.
Cardwell Papers. The papers of the Hon. Edward (later
Viscount) Cardwell, Secretary of State for the Colonies,
1864-1866, have been deposited in the Public Record
Office in London. Thanks to the courtesy of the
authorities there it was possible to examine them and
select the items that related to Canada. These have
since been microfilmed. The period covered is from
1864 until Cardwell's retirement from public life in 1874.
Selected documents from the papers of two other Colonial
Secretaries were being microfilmed in the Public Record Office at
the end of the year: those of the 4th Earl of Carnarvon (Colonial
Secretary 1866-1867 and 1874-1878) and the 2nd Earl Granville
(Colonial Secretary 1868-1870 and 1886). Further additions to
these collections are in prospect.
Military and Naval Manuscripts
The earliest item acquired was a report on Newfoundland,
with particular reference to its fortifications, prepared in 1711 by
Col. Christian Lilly, R. E. (Original manuscript, 23 pages.)
Three other items relate to the War of 1812-15. Mr.
M. T. Mulcahy, of Orillia, presented an original letter written by
Lt. Robert Stanton at York on December 5, 1812 (4 pages).
From England came a series of original letters written in the
period 1803-1813 by Lt.-Col. Cecil Bisshopp, together with a
letter from the surgeon of the 8th Regiment describing Bisshopp's
death from wounds, sustained in the action at Black Rock on
July 11, 1813 (61 pages). A memoir recording the services of
Lt.-Col. Sir Andrew Pilkington devotes much of its space to his
service in Nova Scotia, and to the expedition against the islands
in Passamaquoddy Bay in July 1814 (84 pages, typewritten
copy). The memoir was compiled from letters and memoranda
preserved by his daughter.
The Archives has acquired the original manuscript of the
narrative written by Léandre Ducharme, one of the men exiled
after the Rebellion of 1837, and also his pardon, signed in 1844
63765—3 14 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
by Queen Victoria. The narrative describes his experience while
a political prisoner in Australia. It was published in 1845, after
his return to Canada.
The Provincial Archives in Victoria very kindly copied two
volumes of correspondence relating to the operations of the
Royal Navy on the Pacific Coast in the period 1848-1860. These
records came originally from the Esquimalt Naval Base, and it
will be a convenience to scholars to have copies of them beside
the other records from the same source that have found their
way to the Archives in Ottawa.    (Microfilm, 85 feet.)
Many awards of the Canada Service Medal were made to
British naval and military commissioned and non-commissioned
officers who served at the time of the Fenian Raids of 1886-1870
and in the Red River Expedition, 1870. A useful list of these
awards was acquired (76 pages, typewritten).
Mr. H. Strange, of London, England, presented the file of
original telegrams received by his grandfather, Maj.-General
T. B. Strange, in April and May of 1885, during the Northwest
Rebellion. These are of considerable interest and form a very
useful supplement to the telegram books of the Minister of
Militia, which constitute a graphic day-to-day account of
military events of the time. A few letters were also included in
the gift.    (267 pages)
Two collections call for more extended comment:
Denison Papers. These are in great part the papers of
Col. George Taylor Denison III (1839-1925), a member
of an old Toronto family remarkable for its military
tradition. His activities were many-sided. As a
soldier he commanded the Governor General's Body
Guard, saw active service at the time of the Fenian
Raids and the Northwest Rebellion, and published a
History of Cavalry that won an international reputation. A lawyer by profession, he served for over 40
years as a Police Court Magistrate. He was an ardent
advocate of Imperial Federation, and his correspondence includes personal letters from many prominent
people. The collection, which occupies eight feet of
shelving, includes correspondence files (1857-1925),
diaries (1864-1923), and much subsidiary material. It
was the gift of Col. Denison's daughter, Mrs. W-
Langmuir, who had arranged it in excellent order. REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 15
Scholars may care to note that another large
collection of Denison family papers covering the long
period 1779 to 1900 is in the Manuscript Collection of
the Toronto Public Libraries.
Ross Papers. The papers of Brig.-Gen. A. E. Ross, M.D.
(1870-1952), of Kingston, were presented in 1954 by
his widow. General Ross gained prominence both in
the Army and in public life. He served as a private in
the South African War, joined the Canadian Medical
Corps in the First World War, and in 1918 was Director of Medical Services for all Canadian troops in
France. He was active in civic, provincial and federal
politics and sat in the House of Commons for Kingston,
1921-1935. His papers (1 foot) include the series of
remarkable and informative diaries that he kept during
the First World War.
Through the kindness of Col. C. P. Stacey the Archives
received the original manuscript of the biography of General
Sir Arthur Currie, written by the late Col. H. M. Urquhart.
This will be useful to scholars since it includes some material not
found in the published volume.
The Fur Trade
An acquisition of exceptional interest was the original
manuscript journal of Philip Turnor, recording the details of a
journey from York Factory to Cumberland House and return in
the period September 9, 1778 to September 15, 1779. The
document, which consists of 56 pages, is in excellent condition.
The text was published by the Champlain Society in 1934 from
a contemporary copy in the Archives of the Hudson's Bay
Company.
Three old volumes kept by Angus Mackintosh, agent for
the North West Company at Detroit, were purchased in 1954.
They consist of a large letter book (1798-1803), a petty ledger
(1806-1815) and a volume of inventories (1819-1822). The
correspondence gives a great deal of information about the
Company's trade and shipping, and is particularly interesting
because it covers the transfer of the North West Company post
from Detroit, which had been taken over by the United States,
to Sandwich, in Canada. The first letter written from Sandwich
is dated October 13, 1799.
63765—3* 16 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
Mrs. A. H. Moss, of Cobalt, Ontario, kindly permitted the
Archives to make photostatic copies of a number of fur trade
records in her possession. The earliest of these is a North West
Company invoice book listing the furs forwarded to Temiskam-
ing in 1814-1822. The later pages are occupied by lists of furs
sent to Moose Factory, 1823-1827, after the union with the
Hudson's Bay Company. The most interesting item is probably
the post journal kept at Matawagaminque in 1838-1839. There
are in addition accounts, inventories and an Indian debt book
kept at other posts in the same general region in the period 1826-
1829.
Many years ago the Archives secured transcripts of a
number of important items in the Provincial Archives in Victoria.
Unfortunately the copies were full of inaccuracies, and the
Provincial Archives has kindly made it possible to replace them
with facsimiles. The items copied were the following: letters
written by Simon Fraser to James McDougall and one letter to
John Stuart, 1806-1807 (photostat, 12 pages); the journal kept
by John Stuart at Rocky Mountain House, 1805-1806 (photostat, 35 pages); and the complete text of the long series of
journals kept by John Work in the period 1823-1835, and in 1851
(microfilm, 2 reels).
In co-operation with a number of other institutions the
Archives has financed the microfilming of the records of thjp
American Fur Company, many of which refer either directly or
indirectly to Canada. The period covered is 1803 to 1848. .The
last seventeen reels of microfilm, bringing the total received to
thirty-seven reels, arrived late in 1953. A calendar published
in 1944 by the American Historical Association covers most of
the documents that have been photographed.
Reference should also be made to the microfilms received
from the Archives of the Hudson's Bay Company; these are
described elsewhere in this report.
Exploration and Settlement
Copies of a series of documents relating to Cartier and
Roberval, dated in the period 1541-1573, were secured from
the Archivo General de Indias, in Seville, Spain. The text of
many of the items was printed by H. P. Biggar in The Precursors
of Jacques Cartier, published in 1911 ; but it is useful to have the
series complete, and to have photocopies of them. (Microfilm,
30 feet.) REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 17
Sixty-three original documents, 1652-1720, concerning the
Contrecoeur family were acquired; they relate chiefly to a suit
between Antoine Pécaudy de Contrecoeur (1596-1683) and the
heirs of his first wife, Anne Dubois. Contrecoeur came to
Canada in 1665 and commanded a company in the famous
Carignan-Salières regiment.
Two groups of papers relating to Nicolas Denys and his
family have been copied for the Archives. The first of these,
comprising 281 documents ranging in date from 1654 to 1860,
was assembled about eighty years ago by Jean Charles Amédée
Denys de Bonaventure, a descendant of Simon Denys, brother of
Nicolas. The papers earlier in date than 1780, about 120 in
number, contain many references to Canada. The original
papers are preserved in Tours, France. (Microfilm, 45 feet.)
The second group was found by the Rev. René Baudry at Rennes,
in the Archives Départementales dTlle-et-Vilaine. These relate
to Nicolas Denys himself, and vary in date from 1654 to 1674.
Father Baudry very kindly secured photographs of 24 of the
most interesting items in the collection for the Archives.
It may be mentioned at this point that the Archives of the
Seminary of Quebec has microfilmed the well-known "Saber-
dache" of Jacques Viger (1787-1858), and the Archives has purchased a print. Viger, a noted antiquarian, collected a great
mass of miscellaneous documents, maps, etc., relating to the
history of Canada. A partial inventory of the "Saberdache"
is included in the general inventory of the Archives of the
Seminary, a copy of which is available in Ottawa. (Microfilm,
8 reels).
Sir Joseph Banks visited Newfoundland in the summer of
1766 and recorded his impressions in a diary. The original
journal is now the property of the Royal Geographical Society of
Australasia, South Australian Branch, in Adelaide. Thanks to
the courtesy of the Society the Archives received a copy of the
journal in 1953. (Microfilm, 25 feet.) Banks's handwriting is
difficult to read, and perhaps for this reason a fair copy of the
Newfoundland diary was made by his sister, Sarah Banks.
This is now in the Library of the Natural History Museum,
London, and a photostat of it was made for the Archives in 1954.
The famous diary of Simeon Perkins, of Liverpool, N.S.,
which covers the eventful years from 1777 to 1812, is one of the
most important single sources for the history of Nova Scotia.
In order  to make  the  complete  contents  readily available 18 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
without wear and tear to the original, and to guard against the
contingency of loss or damage, the Archives asked the Town of
Liverpool to allow the diary to be copied. The town authorities very kindly consented, and sent the original to Ottawa for
microfilming. The text up to March 31, 1780, was published in
1948 by the Champlain Society, and the Society hopes to print
additional instalments at a later date.    (Microfilm, 2 reels.)
Notable additions to the collections included the following:
Hamilton Papers. This large collection of original documents (20 feet) consists primarily of the papers of the
Hamilton family (after whom Hamilton, Ontario, is
named) from 1809 to 1840. Most of them relate to
Alexander Hamilton, who was postmaster at Queenston,
1820-1839. Many details of the postal arrangements
of the time can be studied in his papers.
McNeilledge Diaries. These comprise the diaries of Captain
Alexander McNeilledge, who retired early from the sea
and settled at Port Dover. The period covered is
1837 to 1875. The diaries contain an interesting
chronicle and commentary on local people and events.
The original journals are the property of the Norfolk
Historical Society.    (Microfilm, 3 reels.)
Patrick Bell Diaries. The Rev. Patrick Bell came to Upper
Canada in 1833, and served for a time as tutor in a
family residing near Hamilton. His journals, in two
volumes, give a detailed account of the conditions of
life of the time, including long descriptions of implements, machinery, housing, agricultural methods, flora
and fauna. The descriptions are illustrated by
sketches. This Journal of Travels between Great
Britain and the Province of Upper Canada, 1833-34, is
now the property of the Library of the University of
Aberdeen, and the Librarian very kindly sent the
original to the Archives on loan in order that a photostat could be made.
H. P. Hill Collection. This very valuable collection relating
to the early history of the By town (Ottawa) and Hull
area was assembled by the late Hamnett Pinhey Hill,
K.C, of Ottawa, and presented to the Archives by his
son, H. P. Hill, Jr. The greater part of it consists of the
papers of Dr. Alexander Christie and Hamnett Pinhey. REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 19
Other items include notes by Mr. Hill himself and a
unique file of the Bytown Gazette. This is undoubtedly
the most important regional collection acquired by the
Archives in recent years.    (Shelf-space, 12 feet.)
DougaU Papers. John Dougall founded the Montreal
Witness in 1845; he was suceeded in turn by his son,
John Redpath Dougall, and his grandson, Frederick E.
Dougall. The Dougall Papers consist primarily of
correspondence received by these three men. The
main series begins in 1870 and extends to recent years.
The letters contain much of interest about Canadian
affairs and conditions; they include political correspondence of some note with Sir Wilfrid Laurier,
Sydney Fisher, and others. The papers also include an
unpublished life of John Dougall's daughter Lily, who
achieved some fame as a novelist. The collection was
presented to the Archives by Mrs. Temple, a granddaughter of John Dougall. (Shelf-space, 2 feet, 4
inches.)
Taylor Papers. James Wickes Taylor is a figure of some
interest to Canadians because he served as a special
agent and consul for the United States in Winnipeg,
and took a lively interest in Canadian affairs over
many years. The papers, which cover the period 1842
to 1894, consist of correspondence, speeches, clippings,
etc., and touch upon such topics as the proposed
annexation of Canada, the Red River insurrection of
1869-1870, the Fenian Raid of 1871, and so on. The
original papers are the property of the Minnesota
Historical Society, which arranged to have them
photographed for a group of interested institutions.
(Microfilm, 8 reels.)
A wide variety of personal papers were acquired or copied
in the period under review. They included the account books of
Dr. William Case, the first medical practitioner in Hamilton.
He came to the district in 1807 ; the surviving accounts cover the
period 1825-1867. These were copied by kind permission of the
owner, Mr. Hugh Reid. (Microfilm, 1 reel.) A diary kept by
another citizen of Hamilton, George Robinson, records his
tragic voyage to Canada in 1832, in the course of which cholera
broke out and his father, William Robinson, died. This was
copied through the kindness of Miss Freda Waldon, William 20 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
Robinson's great-great-granddaughter. The Bytown Museum,
in Ottawa, allowed the Archives to copy an interesting "Sketch
Book"—actually a diary including many rough charts—kept by
John Burrows while working on the Rideau Canal surveys in
1827. Three interesting letters written by the Rev. Abraham
Cowley from the Red River Settlement in 1842, 1847 and 1854,
to a friend in England were acquired (12 pages). Brief reminiscences written by Sir Hugh Allan in 1880 under the title "Some
sketches of events in an active life" were borrowed from Sir
Hugh's grandson, Mr. J. C. Routledge, for copying. (Photostat,
15 pages.) A much longer autobiography, 1851-1914, written
by Charles Cobbold Farr, of Cobalt, and owned by Mrs. A. H.
Moss, was also copied; the text deals mainly with the history of
the Cobalt area. (Microfilm, 25 feet.) Two brothers, Arthur
and Joseph Robinson, journeyed from England to the Yukon at
the time of the gold rush of 1898. A letter from one brother
and a diary kept by the other throw light on conditions of
travel, freighting arrangements, etc., at the time. The original
documents were presented to the Archives by Mrs. Eva Davies,
of Littlehampton, England.
Three accounts of journeys into little known parts of Labrador were copied. The first of these is by Leonidas Hubbard,
who lost his life on an expedition in 1903. Two years later his
widow made a similar journey, accompanied by George Elson,
an Indian guide. Both she and Elson kept diaries of the trip.
The copies were secured through the courtesy of Mrs. Hubbard,
who is now Mrs. N.B.H. Ellis, of London, England. (Microfilm,
45  feet.)
Mr. S. C. Ells, for many years a member of the staff of the
Geological Survey of Canada, gave to the Archives a collection
of correspondence and other papers relating to the bituminous
sands of Alberta, one of the great undeveloped resources of
Canada. To this correspondence he has added a narrative and
photographs.
From Mr. Ells the Archives also received a manuscript
entitled Stern-wheel Saga, a history of the stern-wheel river and
lake steamers that have now all but disappeared in Canada.
Microfilms from the Public Record Office, London
The most important single file of documents in the Public
Record Office that relates to Canada is series CO. 42, in which is
found   the   correspondence   exchanged   between   the various REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 21
Governors and the Colonial Office. The microfilming of this
series began in 1952. In 1953-1954 a total of 559 volumes were
photographed, and the copying was carried as far as volume 691.
The intention is to copy the series to the end of 1902; Colonial
Office records beyond that date have not yet been released for
use by the public. Two hundred volumes remained to be copied
at the end of 1954, but these should be covered without difficulty
in 1955.
A second series which the Archives is anxious to copy as far
as 1902 is CO. 194, the main series of papers relating to Newfoundland. A few volumes have already been photographed;
copying was resumed late in 1954, and should be completed in
1955.
Other material microfilmed in the Public Record Office
included the following:
Adm.  1,   Vols.  2736-2738.   Admirals'   despatches,   Newfoundland, 1766-1824.    (7 reels)
W. 0.12.    Muster Rolls and Paylists as follows:
11960-11972:    De Meuron Regiment,  1795-1816.    (4
reels)
12018-12033:    De  Watteville   Regiment,   1801-1816.
(6  reels)
A selection of captains' logs, masters' logs, ships' logs and
captains' letters, all relating to activities of the Provincial
Marine in the period of the War of 1812-1815 were also microfilmed (2  reels).
Selections from the Derby Papers and the Cardwell Papers,
to which reference has already been made, were filmed in the
Record Office in 1954, and the staff of the London office of the
Archives supervised the microfilming of missionary and other
records borrowed for copying from other sources.
Microfilms from the Archives of the Hudson's Bay Company
Microfilming of the archives of the Hudson's Bay Company
continued steadily in 1953-54. Over 600 reels of film were
received in Ottawa. The complete records of the Company for
the period 1670-1870 are to be photographed, and this programme is now nearing completion. The master negatives are
placed for safekeeping in a vault on this continent, and before
they go into storage the Public Archives is permitted to make a
/ 22 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
positive print from them. Use of this print is governed by the
same regulations that apply to the use of the original documents in London, and applications for permission to consult
them should be sent direct to The Secretary, Hudson's Bay
Company, Beaver House, Great Trinity Lane, London, E.C 4,
England. Copies of the Company's regulations may be obtained
either from the Company or from the Archives.
The contents of the 508 reels of film received before 1953
were summarized in the Report of the Archives for 1952. The
following notes describe the microfilms received since that time :
Class "A"
This consists of the records of the London office of the
Company. Copying was completed in 1953. The later part
of the series (146 reels) consists for the most part of fur trade
indents, servants' contracts, stock ledgers, transfer books and
accounts of fur sales.
Class UB"
This comprises the records of individual trading posts.
The first subdivisions of this extensive series consist of post
journals and correspondence books (252 reels). Each subdivision is arranged alphabetically by the name of the post.
Copying of class "B" is continuing.
Class llD"
Records of the Canadian headquarters of the Company.
The correspondence of Sir George Simpson is by far the largest
item in the collection. Other governors represented are William
Williams, Eden Colvile, Alexander Grant Dallas and William
MçTavish.    (128 reels)
Class "E"
This relatively small but most interesting series includes
many records relating to the Red River Settlement and the
Council of Assiniboia, and journals and correspondence of such
figures as Pierre-Esprit Radisson, James Isham, Peter Fidler,
Colin Robertson and Nicholas Garry. Records relating to the
Colony of Vancouver Island are also found here.    (30 reels)
Class "F"
Records of organizations not officially connected with the
Hudson's Bay Company, but which happen to have found their REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 23
way to its Archives, have been grouped together in this class.
The most important subdivision consists of a substantial collection of North West Company minutes, accounts and miscellaneous papers. The records of the Puget's Sound Agricultural Company rank next in importance.    (50 reels)
Missionary Records
The records of the older missionary societies include a
wealth of correspondence and reports that contain much information about conditions and events in the countries in which their
missions were established. With a view to tapping this source,
the Archives has from time to time borrowed volumes of records
from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, in London,
and copied items that relate to Canada. Recently arrangements were made to examine and copy missionary records on a
much larger scale. By the end of 1954 material from the following sources had already reached Ottawa:
Colonial and Continental Church Society. This Society was
active in both Newfoundland and Rupert's Land.
Unfortunately its correspondence files were almost
completely destroyed by bomb damage during the
Second World War, but most of its annual reports and
minute books have survived. Microfilms of the following have been made:
Minute books: 1839-1872.    (3 reels)
Annual reports: 1823-1870.    (6 reels)
Church Missionary Society. The principal activity of this
Society in Canada was the North West America
(Rupert's Land) Mission ; a great amount of correspondence relating to it, going back in date to 1821, has been
preserved. The Society also sponsored a North Pacific
(British Columbia) Mission in 1857, and many files
relating to it survive. An effort has been made to
copy all incoming letters, journals and reports, and all
letter books that relate to both these missions. The
microfilm copies fill 52 reels.
Methodist Missionary Society. Some years ago Victoria
University, Toronto, arranged to have the main file of
incoming letters from Methodist missionaries in Canada
microfilmed. A copy of these films (26 reels) has been
purchased by the Archives, and additional documents 24 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
at the head office of the Society in London will be
copied later. The correspondence already photographed falls chiefly in the period 1831 to 1867.
In 1954 the voluminous records of the Society for the
Propagation of the Gospel were surveyed, and arrangements
completed whereby all material of Canadian interest not already
copied would be microfilmed. These films should be received in
1955.
Records of Hunt, Roope & Company
The firms of Newman, Hunt & Company, London; Hunt,
Roope & Company, London and Oporto; and Newman & Company, Newfoundland, are the present members of a network of
companies that have been engaged in the port wine and codfish
trade since the end of the 16th century. For many years port
wine has been taken across the Atlantic to Newfoundland, there
to remain for a time to mature ; and the result has been a complicated pattern of trading between Great Britain, Portugal and
Newfoundland, that has on occasion extended to the United
States and other countries as well.
In 1954 Sir Ralph Newman kindly allowed the Dominion
Archivist to examine the older records of the associated companies. Many of the earlier papers have disappeared, but the
records for the period from 1775 to about 1810 are surprisingly
complete, and an extensive series of letter books carries the story
on to the end of the 19th century. The Napoleonic Wars, the
War of Independence and the War of 1812 all affected the operations of the various companies deeply, and that influence is
reflected in the correspondence and accounts of the time.
With Sir Ralph Newman's permission, seventy-three
volumes of records were microfilmed, and to these were added
some special items and individual documents. Sir Ralph's own
catalogue of the collection was also copied. In all, 29,000 pages
were photographed, and the microfilm copy consists of 40 reels of
film.
Microfilms and Transcripts from Paris
The microfilming of the records relating to Canada in the
Archives des Colonies continued steadily in 1953 and 1954.
Documents copied included the following:
B, Vols. 1-149. This is the main file of outward correspondence from the King, the Secretaries of State, etc., to
Canada,   Cape   Breton  and   Louisiana.   The  entire REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 25
series, consisting of over 200 volumes, covers the period
from 1663 to 1789; but references to Canada virtually
disappear a few years after the fall of New France, and
the microfilming has been carried only as far as volume
149.
C-ll-E, Vols. 1-16. Les Limites et les Postes. The whole
series, dating from 1685 to 1787, has been microfilmed.
F-3. Collection Moreau St. Méry. Vols. 2-16, 24, 50-51. This
series consists of a great mass of papers relating to
colonial affairs collected by Moreau St. Méry (1750-
1819), statesman and historian. With the filming of
these volumes the Archives now has copies of all the
material in the series that relates to Canada.
Through the courtesy of the Library of the Seminary of St.
Sulpice, in Paris, the Archives was permitted to borrow and have
microfilmed at the Archives Nationales the correspondence of
M. Louis Tronson. 1675-1699, and of M. François Leschassier,
1670-1708, which relate to Canada. The Archives already
had transcripts of most of the documents, but it is convenient
to have the series complete, and to have photocopies of all its
contents.
Some copying by hand is still being done in Paris, as it is not
always practicable to photograph documents. Transcripts
received in 1953-1954 included the following:
Colonies E. This consists of miscellaneous papers relating
to personnel. Only papers relating to persons connected
with Canada are copied. Extracts from volumes 51 to
80 were received.
Archives Nationales, F-12 (Commerce et Industrie). Transcripts of selected items from volumes 1-48 were
received. This completed the examination of the
series, since extracts from the later volumes had
already been copied.
Margry Collection, Vol. 9283 (Bibliothèque Nationale,
Nouvelles Acquisitions). This volume consists of miscellaneous documents, 1605-1787. Most of them relate
to the history of Acadia and Newfoundland. (334
pages) 26 P UBLIC ARCHIVES
Departmental Records
Owing to the virtual impossibility of accommodating further departmental records in the existing Archives building, no
transfers of any size were made in 1953 and 1954. Transfers on
a very large scale are expected to begin about the end of 1955,
when the new Records Centre at Tunney's Pasture is completed.
Three items received should perhaps be noted for purposes
of record :
From the Department of Transport the Archives received
two additions to its large collection of shipping registers. These
were a register from the port of Saint John, covering first registrations of the period 1841-1843, and an alphabetical list of ships
registered at that port during the period 1840 to 1923.
The Department of External Affairs sent to the Archives
records and scrapbooks relating to the visit paid to Brazil iri 1948
by Field Marshal the Earl Alexander of Tunis. Lord Alexander
was then Governor General of Canada, and it was the first
occasion upon which a Governor had visited a foreign country,
other than the United States, during his term of office.
The Manuscript Division received a copy of a most useful
History of the Administration and Sale of Dominion Lands, of
claims under the Manitoba Act, of half breed claims and those of
original settlers, and of the issue of letters patent, 1871-1930. This
was prepared by N. O. Coté in 1931 for the use of officials of the
, Department of the Interior.
Regional Collections of Manuscripts
For some time past the Archives has been much concerned
about the future of the collections of manuscripts that have been
assembled through the years by various regional historical
societies in Canada. While it is true that many of the documents they contain are primarily of local interest or significance, many of them include correspondence, diaries, account
books, church records and municipal records that are of much
wider importance.
Safety and accessibility are the points that have caused the
Archives most concern. Very few of the regional collections
are housed in fireproof buildings, or are in the keeping of full-
time custodians. The danger of loss or damage is therefore
constant. Equally serious, from the point of view of the research scholar, is the fact that few of the societies have been able REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 27
to prepare complete or systematic catalogues of their manuscripts. Many interesting and important papers are undoubtedly being overlooked because there is no ready means by
which historians and others can learn of their existence.
The Brome County Historical Society is keenly aware of
these problems, and in co-operation with the Public Archives
has carried out a programme that offers at least a partial solution of them. This programme consisted of four parts. First,
the Society classified and arranged its manuscript collection
according to a plan worked out in consultation with the Archives.
Secondly, a detailed inventory of the collection was compiled by
Homer A. Mitchell, M.A., President of the Society. Thirdly,
this inventory was edited and printed by the Archives, and
issued as a joint publication of the Archives and the Society.
Lastly, the Society's manuscript collection was microfilmed by
the Archives. When the filming was done, great care was
taken to see that the documents were photographed in the same
order in which they were listed in the inventory. The latter
thus forms a complete key to the contents of the microfilm.
This experiment in co-operation has been highly satisfactory. Scholars can now ascertain very easily whether or not
the collections of the Brome County Historical Society include
documents of interest to them, while the microfilm provides
both additional means of consulting the documents and a safeguard against the serious loss that would be suffered if the
original papers were damaged or destroyed. It is to be hoped
that other regional organizations that have valuable historical
documents in their possession will be interested in following the
precedent set by the Brome County Society.
RECORDS CENTRE
The contract for the construction of a Records Centre for
the Public Archives was signed in 1954 and the building should
be completed about the end of 1955. The opening of the Centre
will mark a great step forward, since the space and facilities
provided will make it possible for the Archives to develop into
a full-fledged public record office.
The structure is being built at Tunney's Pasture, in Ottawa
West. It will be approximately 200 feet square and will consist of five storeys—a full basement and four floors. The total
floor area will be well over four acres. When the 35 file rooms
are all fully equipped, they will  provide about 62 miles of 28
PUBLIC ARCHIVES
shelving. It will take some time for the Centre to develop its
operations fully, but there would seem to be a good prospect
that, over a period of a few years, it can absorb all departmental
records that are not required for day-to-day consultation. A
disposal programme will be carried forward in co-operation with I
the departments, and experience suggests that it will be possible
to discard as much as two-thirds of the records .that departments
classify as "dead".
The Centre will be a fully-equipped branch of the Public
Archives, complete with reading rooms and all necessary
reference and research facilities.
MAP DIVISION
The number of inquiries received by the Map Division
continues to grow. Inquiries entered in the register in 1953
numbered 529; in 1952 the total had been 459. In 1954 it rose
to 558. Teachers seeking material for classroom use, authors
and publishers wanting illustrations for books and articles, and
makers of films and filmstrips all made extensive use of the
collections. Some of the most interesting inquiries reflected
developments of the day. For example, considerable interest
was shown in maps and plans of areas and properties along the
St. Lawrence River that will be affected by the construction of
the new Seaway.
Whenever time permitted, work continued on the catalogue of 16th-century maps relating to Canada. The text of the
catalogue proper was completed in draft form in 1954, and
the introduction, notes and bibliography are in preparation.
The whole volume should be ready for publication about the
end of 1955.
Several 16th-century atlases were added to the collections
in 1953-54. These included a copy of Ptolemy's Geographia,
with annotations by Sylvanus, printed in Venice in 1511, and a
later edition, edited by Munster, published at Basle in 1542.
The Division also acquired a copy of the edition of the Theatrum
Orbis Terrarum of Ortelius printed by Christopher Plantin in
Antwerp in 1584. A fourth acquisition was a Venice edition of
Waldseemuller's Cosmographiae Introductio, published in 1554.
Modern works received that deal with early maps of
America included a set of the Monumenta Cartographica
Vaticana, by Roberto Almagia, the three volumes of which
contain descriptions and reproductions of some of the map REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 29
treasures in the Vatican. From Spain, came a copy of Mapas
Espanoles de America, edited by the Real Academia de la
Historia. The quality of its reproductions is outstanding.
Prince Youssouf Kamal very kindly sent to the Archives the
latest volume of his great work, Monumenta Cartographica
Africae et Eegypti.
The Division received good photocopies of a number of
early maps of special interest. The earliest of these is the map
in the Royal Library, Copenhagen, entitled Indicatio Gron-
landiae & vicinarum regionum. Prepared by Bishop Resen
and others in 1605, it purports to be based upon rough sketches
dating back many years, perhaps to the days of the Vikings.
Its representations of Helluland, Markland and Vinland are of
great interest. Our photostat was kindly provided by the
Royal Library. Dr. Lawrence Wroth gave to the Archives a
fine photograph of the remarkable 1616 Champlain map which
he has added to the treasures in the John Carter Brown Library,
in Providence, R.I. Through the kindness of Mr. Norman
Clarke, of Barrie, Ont., the Archives acquired a good copy of the
map entitled Novae Franciae Accurata Delineatio, the original of
which is in the Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris. This map is
dated 1657. A fourth item of unusual interest is a fine reproduction of the map of the St. Lawrence River drawn by Jean
Deshayes in 1686. This was published in Paris in 1715. It
was the first map to show the course of the river with general
accuracy, and its compilation was a landmark in the mapping of
Canada.
Some further progress was made in the gathering of material for the projected catalogue of maps of Acadia in the
French period (1600-1763). The Quebec Seminary kindly
provided a list of its maps of Acadia. Father René Baudry,
who has made a careful examination of all maps relating to
Acadia and the Maritime Provinces in the collections of the
Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris, gave the Archives a copy of his
check list, and enabled us to secure photographs of many of the
items listed. An interesting unsigned French plan of Halifax
was found in the Public Record Office, London, and photographed for the Division. It was intended to be used in an
attack on Halifax in 1755. This is the earliest plan in the
Archives that shows every building in the town. The fortifications are also clearly shown, and the principal buildings are
identified. 30
PUBLIC ARCHIVES
There has been a noticeable increase in recent years in the
use made of the remarkable county maps and historical county
atlases that were published in Canada in the period 1850-1890.
Many of these show important areas in great detail. In addition to concession lines, roads, rivers and streams, the location .
of every house is frequently shown, together with the names of
individual property owners. Many sketches of buildings—
both public and private—are a feature of most of the maps, and
they furnish much data for students of the history of architecture in Canada. While it is gratifying to see these maps and
atlases appreciated, their use by the public presents some
difficulties. They are becoming scarce and relatively expensive,
and few of them will stand much wear and tear. The time is
clearly approaching when photostatic copies will have to be made
of the whole series, and the originals withdrawn from ordinary
use for safekeeping.
The collection of county maps in the Archives is not yet
complete, but about a dozen items were added to it in 1953-54.
The new acquisitions included gifts from the American Geographical Society, the Geological Cartography Division of the
Geological Survey of Canada, the Ontario Department of
Lands and Forests, and the University of Western Ontario.
Other maps were acquired by purchase, and a photostat was
made of one rare original, borrowed for the purpose. These
new acquisitions included fine examples of the county maps
produced by George Tremaine, the leader in the field, and others
from the rival series compiled by H. F. Walling. Jones &
Moore, who published maps of Ontario counties, and A. F.
Church & Co., of Bedford, N.S., whose special field was Nova
Scotia, were also represented.
A number of interesting maps relating to Ottawa happened
to come to the Archives while the capital was celebrating its
centenary year. The H. P. Hill Collection includes blueprints or
photostats of some fifteen early Bytown manuscript plans dating
back to the period 1820-1850. Original manuscripts transferred to the Archives by the Department of Public Works
included plans of Rideau Hall and of the Mackay estate, upon
which Rockcliffe was later built. Dates of the plans vary from
1864 to 1876. Another interesting item was a plan of Earns-
cliffe, later the home of Sir John A. Macdonald and now the
residence of the British High Commissioner to Canada. This
was prepared in 1869, when it was proposed to use the house as
a military hospital.    Most interesting of all, perhaps, is a large REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 31
insurance map of the city of Ottawa, dated 1878 and consisting
of 49 sheets. This is a remarkably complete record of the city
of that day. Not only is every building indicated, and the type
of construction (wood, stone, brick or stucco) recorded, but
even such details as doors, windows and shutters are carefully
noted.
From the Library of Congress the Archives secured a
photostatic copy of the Map of the Northwest Part of America
compiled by Alexander Henry the elder, and inscribed by him
to Sir Guy Carleton. It was intended to be "a chart of such
parts of the Indian territory as he [Henry] had travelled
through." The Department of Public Records and Archives of
Ontario kindly supplied photostats of two other items relating
to the fur trade. These are plans of Fort William, dating from
about 1815. One shows the lands and farms surrounding the
post; the other is a detailed ground plan of the fort itself.
Acquisitions of military interest included photostats of
seven plans of Fort William Henry, and one plan of Fort Ontario,
at Oswego, presented by Dr. A. B. Corey, of the New York
State Library. The University of Pittsburgh Library kindly
presented a facsimile of a letter from Robert Stobo dated July
28, 1754, which was accompanied by a plan of Fort Duquesne.
Transfers from the Department of National Defence included
nineteen large-scale manuscript plans of the fortifications at
Esquimalt, 1887-1905; seventeen plans of the fortifications at
Levis as they were in the 1870's, and a very detailed "fortifications survey" of the city and environs of Kingston. Drawn in
1867-68, this consists of no less than 83 sheets. It is one of a
series that were a remarkable cartographical achievement in
their day. Another valuable city plan received was a finely
executed engraved map of Hamilton. Dated 1850-51, it was
the work of Marcus Smith.
In 1951 the Archives asked the Hydrographie Department
of the Admiralty to make photostatic copies of all maps relating
to Canada that were listed in its catalogue entitled A Summary
of Selected Manuscript Documents of Historic Importance preserved
in the Archives of the Department. Several substantial shipments
of photostats were received in 1952; the rest arrived in 1953.
Most of the latter came from the remarkable series of original
charts and plans relating to the Arctic. There were in all 82
items. A dozen of them are large, detailed, first-hand records
made by parties searching for Sir John Franklin.    One group 32 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
was compiled by members of the Collinson-M'Clure expedition
of 1850-54; another by officers of the Belcher expedition of
1852-54. They are frequently superior to any available printed
maps, and in sum total constitute a most welcome and valuable
addition to the resources of the Map Division.
PICTURE DIVISION
During the past two years the activities of the Picture
Division were maintained at a high level. Aid was again given
to many historians, writers, journalists, artists, university
students and film producers. Television producers have discovered the wealth of pictorial material available in the Division,
and the number of inquiries received from them is rising rapidly.
The increase in the demand for photographic copies has
made it necessary to limit the number of prints that are supplied
free of charge. The free quota is still sufficiently high to meet
ordinary requests for assistance, but a moderate charge is made
for photographic prints, photostats and microfilms when these
are ordered in quantity.
In 1954, at the request of the Historical Society of Ottawa,
the Division produced a modest black-and-white filmstrip
entitled Bytown in Pictures. This consisted of reproductions of
fifty documentary sketches, paintings and prints that recorded
the emergence of the little settlement of Bytown, and its progress year by year to the end of 1854, when it became the City
. of Ottawa.
Many interesting additions were made to the collections in
1953-54, but only a few of them can be mentioned here.
Portraits acquired included a painting of Admiral Fitzroy
Lee, Governor of Newfoundland, 1735-38. It is unsigned, but is
understood to be an excellent likeness. Portraits of Sir
Etienne P. Taché and Lady Taché were received from the
estate of Miss Harriet Kane, of Montreal. Taché headed
several administrations in the confused pre-Confederation
period, and presided at the famous Quebec Conference in 1864.
Mrs. M. D. Freeland, of Victoria, presented portraits of Admiral
H. W. Bayfield and his wife. Bayfield is remembered for his
remarkable pioneer surveys of the Great Lakes and the Gulf of
St. Lawrence. Mrs. Bayfield was something of an artist, and
thirteen of her water-colour drawings are in the Archives*
Another portrait of note is a pastel of the first Baron Strathcona
and Mount Royal; this hung in the dining room of Laurier REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 33
House when it was the residence of Sir Wilfrid and Lady Laurier.
The Division also acquired a portrait in oils of the late R. V.
Sinclair, M.P., by the Canadian painter, Henri Fabien.
A gift of special interest was a fine daguerreotype of Mrs.
Hugh Macdonald (née Helen Shaw), the mother of Sir John A.
Macdonald, presented by Miss H. M. Armour, of Toronto.
A number of valuable documentary paintings were received.
The earliest of these is a water-colour sketch entitled "Spring
View of Fort Franklin," dated 1834. From England came a
series of thirteen monotint water-colour drawings, executed in
1844, depicting scenes at various points from Trois-Rivières to
Lake Ontario. The appearance of each locality is recorded in
minute detail. In 1859 Prince Arthur of Connaught (later
Duke of Connaught and Governor General of Canada) travelled
to Weston, Ontario, to turn the first sod of the Toronto, Grey &
Bruce Railway. His arrival is depicted in a contemporary
water-colour painting by William Armstrong. Later pictures
include a sketch of the old Rideau Canal basin at Ottawa dated
1895, and presented by Colonel C P. Meredith. Miss Sophy
L. Elliott, of Westmount, gave the Archives nine of the water-
colours that were used to illustrate her book, Women Pioneers of
North America.
Photographs of two paintings of great historical interest
were acquired. The first is a water-colour sketch of Fort
William, executed by Robert Irvine in 1811 or 1812, when he
was serving as captain of the North West Company's schooner
Caledonia. The photocopy was the gift of Dr. W. Stewart
Wallace. The other is a photograph of a water-colour by
Cockburn showing a view of Bytown in 1832. The original is in
the Coverdale Collection and hangs in the Manoir Richelieu, at
Murray Bay.
A number of excellent photographs of Quebec City and
Ottawa, taken in the 1860's by Samuel McLoughlin, a pioneer
photographer, were presented by his granddaughter, Miss L. M.
Moir, of Los Angeles, and by another member of the family,
Mrs. F. W. Carson, of Aylmer, P.Q. Of related interest was a
further group of photographs taken by another well-known
Ottawa pioneer, the late S. J. Jarvis. They were the gift of his
daughter, Miss Beatrice Jarvis. Mr. J. A. Brooke, of Long-
ridge, England, presented a collection of photographs of Montreal
taken in 1883, and another group of pictures, mostly views of
Quebec City, were given to the Archives by Mr. D. M. Chorley,
of Toronto. 34 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
In 1953 Mr. Roderick Kennedy, of Montreal, presented an
interesting series of ten photographs of officers who served
during the Northwest Rebellion of 1885. Colonel C. P. Stacey
kindly added to this collection a photograph of Dr. James Bell,
Medical Officer at the time of the Rebellion. Other items of
Northwest interest included a view of Old Fort Garry, presented
by Miss Florence Bissett, and a photograph of Fort Edmonton,
taken shortly before it was demolished. The latter was the gift
of Mr. G. H. MacDonald, the Edmonton architect, who has
since published a remarkable series of views and plans of the
fort in his book entitled Fort Augustus-Edmonton.
A fine collection of over 250 photographs taken during the
construction of the Crow's Nest Pass line was presented by the
Canadian Pacific Railway. They were originally the property
of the late M. J. Haney, who superintended construction of
much of the line. From Miss Eva Davis, of Little Hampton,
England, the Archives received a series of earlier photographs
taken by Notman along the main line of the Canadian Pacific in
construction days.
Through the kindness of Rear Admiral H. F. Pullen the
Division received a series of photographs showing in detail the
the remains of the ship raised in Penetanguishene Bay in
September 1953. The vessel has been tentatively identified as
H.M.S. Tecumseh, built at Chippewa, on the Niagara River, in
1815.
In 1953-54 the Archives acquired from Mr. F. C. Swannell,
of Victoria, a selection of his valuable photographs, sketches,
field notes and reports relating to various surveys in the interior
of British Columbia. Perhaps the most interesting of these
relate to the Finlay River, along which Mr. Swannell found his
perilous way in 1914.
MUSEUM
In 1954 the Archives received a replica of the magnificent
vase presented to Her Majesty the Queen, in commemoration
of Her Majesty's Coronation, by the British Pottery Manufacturers' Federation. The vase was first shown at Government
House in November 1954, on the occasion of the visit of Her
Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. Subsequently
it was placed on display in the Archives museum.
Of kindred interest is a special Coronation Album, issued in
England in an edition limited to 52 copies. The introduction is
signed by the Marquess of Aberdeen, whose father was Governor REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 35
General of Canada. The album includes sets of the Coronation
stamps issued in Great Britain and in all the countries of the
Commonwealth, and specimens of the Coronation coins struck
in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand,
South Africa and Southern Rhodesia.
By agreement with the Department of Northern Affairs
and National Resources all records and relics of historic interest
found in the Arctic are sent to the Archives for safekeeping.
A variety of garments, equipment and documents were found in
1953-54, and the more interesting items have been placed on
display. Some of the articles are connected with Captain Sir
G. S. Nares' expedition (1875-76), and were found on an old
camp site twelve miles south of Cape Sheridan, on the north
coast of Ellesmere Island. Others, related to Commander R. E.
Peary's 1909 dash to the North Pole, were picked up at Cape
Sheridan itself.
A sledge, left in a cache for Peary's use, was received from
the Defence Research Board. With other relics it was discovered in 1954 by members of a Canada-United States expedition on Ward Hunt Island, off the north coast of Ellesmere
Island, in a cache left by Commander D. C MacMillan, who
was associated with Peary in his explorations.
Other souvenirs came from another remote part of the
Arctic and recall the M'Clure expedition of 1850-54 and
Stefansson's explorations of 1913-18. The Stefansson relics were
recovered at Knight Harbour, on Banks Island, and the M'Clure
souvenirs were brought back from Mercy Bay, also on Banks
Island, but further north-west. The Stefansson articles included
a well-preserved sledge, paddles and skis; the M'Clure relics
consisted of barrel staves, a piece of coal and some canned food.
A large model of the liner Lady Nelson was deposited in the
museum through the good offices of Mr. R. A. Clarke, General
Manager of Canadian National Steamships, Montreal. The
Lady Nelson was one of four sister-ships built specially to implement the Canada-West Indies Trade Agreement, and her maiden
voyage from Halifax in December 1928 was the first sailing
made under the terms of the agreement.
Mr. L. R. Gisborne, of Ottawa, presented a sterling testimonial piece given by the people of St. John's, Newfoundland,
to his grandfather, Frederick Newton Gisborne, in 1856, in
recognition of his energy and perseverance "in traversing the
previously unexplored parts of the island."    Mr. Gisborne also 36 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
gave pieces from the first Atlantic cable, an enterprise in which
his grandfather was greatly interested. In making these gifts
Mr. Gisborne was carrying out the wish of his father, the late
Dr. F. H. Gisborne, who was anxious that they should be placed
in the Archives.
Numismatics Section
The most notable acquisition was a remarkable collection
of Canadian communion tokens, consisting of some 300 items.
Originally assembled at the beginning of the century by the late
Charles Gordonsmith, for many years editor of the Family
Herald and Weekly Star, it was presented to the Archives by
Mrs. Jean Ritchie Anderson, of Montreal. It will be recalled
that another extensive collection of these interesting tokens was
acquired in 1952, and the museum's holdings are now almost
complete. Mrs. Anderson's gift also included a number of
interesting medals, and pamphlets and newspaper articles on
numismatic subjects.
The Hudson's Bay Company very kindly presented two
sets of the notes issued by the Company for use on this continent between 1820 and 1870. The denominations were one
shilling, five shillings and one pound sterling. These notes
circulated in Rupert's Land and in other areas in North America
where the Company traded. They remained in circulation
until June of 1870, when Rupert's Land was surrendered to the
Crown and transferred to Canada. Canadian currency became
the medium of exchange thereafter.
The Bank of Canada gave the Archives two specimen sets
of the new notes issued in 1954. The Bank kindly helped the
Archives to acquire a large collection of banknotes in 1950, when
the issuing of notes by private banks ceased in Canada. The
museum's collection also includes complete sets of the first notes
issued by the Bank of Canada itself in 1935.
A dozen other items of interest were presented by as many
donors. They included: a £2 gold-piece dated 1823, bearing
the effigy of George IV, presented by Mr. W. Vickers, of
Wanekana, N.Y.; a $2 bill issued in 1833 by the Commercial
Bank of the Midland District, with headquarters in Kingston,
given by Mr. L. J. Purcell, of Ottawa; a £100 bond issued
by the Cobourg & Peterborough Railway in 1854, presented
by Mr. E. C Guillet, of Toronto; four advertising bills issued by
S. Zimmerman upon the occasion of the opening of the Victoria
Bridge in 1860, a gift from Mr. J. D. Ferguson; and a silver REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954
Peruvian one-sol piece dated 1894, presented by Dr. Gustave
Lanctot. Mr. G. W. Cowan, of Ottawa, gave a bronze medal
struck in honour of John Graves Simcoe. Miss Norah Story
presented a large bronze medal issued in commemoration of the
Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. An
anonymous donor in Saskatoon sent to the Archives medalets
struck upon the same occasion, and examples of similar medalets
issued in connection with the Confederation Jubilee Celebration
of 1927 and the visit to Canada of King George VI and Queen
Elizabeth in 1939.
A small brass medallion dated 1837 and bearing the effigy
of Queen Victoria was placed in the Archives by the Rt. Hon.
Louis S. St. Laurent. It had been presented to the Prime
Minister by Mr. Arthur Ménard, of Rouyn, P.Q.
PUBLICATIONS DIVISION
Twelve titles were added to the Preliminary Inventory series
in 1953-54. The series is proving extremely useful, both to the
staff of the Manuscript Division and to the many persons who
have occasion to use documents in the Archives. By the end of
1954 a total of eighteen of the inventories were in print, and
three or four others were in preparation.
Published in 1953:
Record Group 1: Executive Council, Canada, 1764-1867.
Record   Group   4:   Civil   and  Provincial   Secretaries,
Canada East, 1760-1867.
Record   Group   5:   Civil   and  Provincial   Secretaries,
Canada West, 1788-1867.
Record Group 7: Governor General's Office.*
Fonds des Manuscrits No. 2: Archives de la Marine.
Fonds des Manuscrits No. 3: Archives nationales.
Fonds des Manuscrits No. 4: Ministère de la Guerre.
Published in 1954:
Record Group 8: British Military and Naval Records.
Record Group 19: Department of Finance.
Manuscript Group 18: Pre-Conquest Papers.
Fonds des Manuscrits No. 18: Documents antérieurs à la
Cession.
Manuscript Group 19: Fur Trade and Indians, 1763-
1867. 38 P UBLIC ARCHIVES
It may be well to explain again that the inventories are not
being published in numerical order. New additions to the series
are noted in each Report of the Department, and a complete list
to date is printed on the inside back cover of each new title. The
text is in French or English, according to the language of the
original documents. The only exception so far has been the
inventory of Manuscript Group 18, which consists of pre-
conquest papers. Both languages are so well represented in this
group that the inventory has been compiled and printed in both
French and English.
In addition to the titles added to the regular series, the
Division published a preliminary inventory of the Collections of
the Brome County Historical Society (1954). This appeared with
the joint imprint of the Public Archives and the Society. The
arrangements which led to the compilation of this inventory are
described elsewhere in this Report.
The Report of the Public Archives for the year 1952 was
published in 1953.
LIBRARY
Lack of space continues to handicap the Library, but
completion of the new Records Centre should help somewhat,
if only indirectly. Staff changes have slowed down the cataloguing programme, but in most respects the condition of the
Library has continued to improve. Good progress has been
made with binding and rebinding, a vast amount of sorting has
been done, less essential material has been put to one side, and
duplicates have been boxed and placed in storage.
LAURIER HOUSE
Laurier House was placed under the control of the Dominion
Archivist by the Laurier House Act, and has been open to the
public as a museum since August 1, 1951. It is the former
home of two prime ministers of Canada, Sir Wilfrid Laurier and
the Rt. Hon. W. L. Mackenzie King.
About 35,000 persons visited the building in 1953. In 1954
the total was about 26,500. Many groups from schools and
conventions visit Laurier House, but the substantial number of
visitors who come during the winter months are largely from
Ottawa and its vicinity.
Laurier House is open on weekdays, except Monday, from
10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and on  Sundays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. REPORT FOR THE YEARS 1953-1954 39
OTHER SERVICES
The Archives continues to give an extensive reference
service in answer to inquiries received by mail. Although it is
impossible to undertake long searches, very considerable assistance is frequently given to scholars and others who are unable
to come to Ottawa. In addition to notes and memoranda,
thousands of photostats and many microfilms are furnished in
the course of each year.
It is perhaps worth noting that special arrangements within
the Archives Building make it possible to keep the Students'
Room open for research by authorized scholars day and night
throughout the year. While it is true that papers of special
value cannot be made available except when the building is
fully staffed, a locker system enables us to allow properly
accredited students to use a great many of the files at any time.
These facilities are greatly appreciated by many research
workers, particularly those who have come a great distance and
who may have only a very limited time at their disposal.
The Bindery has had two busy years. A total of 2,135
volumes were bound, 853 maps were mounted on cotton, and
over 22,000 manuscripts were repaired. The quality of the
work done is very high, and many difficult and delicate jobs of
repair and restoration have been carried through with great
skill and ingenuity.
The staff of the Photographic Section has been increased to
three, but the volume of work to be done still taxes the Section's
capacity to the limit. The demand for photographs, photostats
and microfilms increases steadily from year to year ; the placing
of a strict limit on the amount of work that could be done free of
charge seems to have had no effect upon the volume of requests
and orders received. 

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.bcbooks.1-0314568/manifest

Comment

Related Items