BC Historical Books

BC Historical Books

BC Historical Books

Report of the Public Archives for the year 1952 Public Archives of Canada; Lamb, W. Kaye (William Kaye), 1904- 1953

Item Metadata

Download

Media
bcbooks-1.0314552.pdf
Metadata
JSON: bcbooks-1.0314552.json
JSON-LD: bcbooks-1.0314552-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): bcbooks-1.0314552-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: bcbooks-1.0314552-rdf.json
Turtle: bcbooks-1.0314552-turtle.txt
N-Triples: bcbooks-1.0314552-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: bcbooks-1.0314552-source.json
Full Text
bcbooks-1.0314552-fulltext.txt
Citation
bcbooks-1.0314552.ris

Full Text

   REPORT OF
THE PUBLIC ARCHIVES  REPORT
PUBLIC ARCHIVES
FOR THE YEAR
1952
Wm. kaye lamb
Dominion Archivist
OTTAWA
EDMOND CLOUTIER, C.M.G., O.A., D.S.P.
PRINTER TO THE QUEEN'S MOST EXCELLENT MAJESTY
CONTROLLER OFJSTATIONERY
1953
Price, 26 cents
78065—2  Ottawa, June 30, 1953.
To the Honourable J. W. Pickersgill,
Secretary of State,
Ottawa.
Sir,—I have the honour to submit herewith the Annual
Report of the Public Archives for the year 1952.
Once again I am able to report that many notable additions
have been made to the collections. Details of these, and of the
activities of the various Divisions, are given in the pages
which follow.
Respectfully submitted,
Wm. Kaye Lamb,
Dominion Archivist.  Report of the Public Archives for the Year 1952
Events of special interest were the acquisition of a further
notable group of post-Confederation political papers; the
arrival of substantial shipments of microfilm copies of documents
in the Public Record Office, London, the Archives Nationales,
Paris, and the Archives of the Hudson's Bay Company;
expansion of the map collection; further progress in the compilation of preliminary inventories of material in the Manuscript
Division, and expansion of the numismatic collection. Looking
to the future, perhaps the most interesting event was the
preparation of plans for a large Archives Records Building at
Tunney's Pasture.
MANUSCRIPT DIVISION
General Work of the Division
The reorganization of the entire manuscript collection,
which was undertaken two years ago, is now nearing completion.
All official records of the Government of Canada in the possession
of the Archives have been divided into "Record Groups". Each
Group is made up of the records of some convenient unit of the
Government. In some instances the unit is a department, in
others one or more branches of a department, and in still others
an executive office, such as that of the Governor General.
Private papers, transcripts, microfilms, and other non-official
records have been arranged in "Manuscript Groups". These
are intended to bring together, in groups arranged chronologically, materials that are basically similar in character. To
cite two examples: Manuscript Group No. 11 consists of copies
of Colonial Office records preserved in the Public Record Office
in London; Manuscript Group 19 is made up of papers relating
to exploration, the fur trade and the Indians, during the period
1763-1867.
A second project which has been in progress for some time
is the compilation and publication of preliminary inventories of
these Record Groups and Manuscript Groups. The Public
Archives has been printing selections of documents, calendars,
guides and lists for many years, but these have only described
a fraction of the material in the department's keeping.    An PUBLIC ARCHIVES
attempt is being made in the new inventories to give a concise,
consistent description of everything available, arranged in such !
a way that scholars working at a distance from Ottawa may
gain a fairly definite idea of the nature and extent of any file,
and of the precise period to which it relates-. The completed
series will probably consist of about fifty inventories. Of these
five have now been published, and seven others will soon be
ready for the press.
A great amount of work has also been done on individual j
collections during the year. The long task of sorting and
indexing the Laurier Papers is now well advanced and will
certainly be completed in 1953. The Borden Papers were
carefully checked throughout, and when it was certain that
they were all in proper order the pages were numbered and the
papers themselves transferred to new filing cases. Some idea
of the amount of work involved in this seemingly simple
operation will be apparent from the fact that the checking,
numbering and filing required the time of two skilled archivists
and a clerical assistant for more than three months.
It has been necessary each year to state in the annual
report that owing to lack of space very few departmental
records could be transferred to the Archives. The Department
has long been eager to function as a full-fledged public record
office, and the need for such a service is immediate and pressing.
Happily there is every prospect that adequate accommodation
for public records will be available in the relatively near future.
A special building is to be erected in Tunney's Pasture, and a
first appropriation towards its cost is included in the budget of
the Department of Public Works for the year 1953-1954.
Although stackrooms and storage space will naturally take up
most of the building, adequate sorting rooms and search rooms j
are included in the design. Departmental officials and research
workers will thus be able to consult files at any time in comfortable, convenient quarters.
Post-Confederation Political Papers
The department's collection of private political papers
relating to the years since Confederation continues to grow in
a most satisfactory way. Many notable additions were received
in 1952, including the papers of two prime ministers.
The Borden Papers, presented by Mr. Henry Borden,
nephew of Sir Robert Borden, are undoubtedly one of the most REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 7
important collections of Canadian political papers in existence.
Sir Robert was Prime Minister of Canada from 1911 to 1920, a
period which included the first World War and the negotiations
which led to the Treaty of Versailles. His papers consist of
well over 200,000 pages, and the principal issues and events of
his career are fully documented. The papers for the period to
1921 came to the Archives in the order in which they had been
arranged when Sir Robert was preparing his memoirs. As
guides and indexes are available, they have been left in this
order. Later correspondence (1921-1937) is in a separate series
of files, arranged alphabetically by the name of the correspondent. Mr. Henry Borden's gift is to include Sir Robert's
personal diaries, but these will be sent to the Archives at a
later date.
The Abbott Papers consist of some of the files accumulated
by Sir John J. C. Abbott, Prime Minister of Canada in 1891-
1892. They were found amongst a large collection of "dormant"
files transferred to the Archives from the Privy Council Office.
Sir John Thompson, who succeeded Abbott as Prime Minister,
and whose own papers were acquired by the Archives in 1949,
evidently asked Abbott to send him the papers for his guidance.
After Thompson's sudden death in England in 1894 they seem
to have been pushed to one side and eventually lost sight of.
They consist of seven volumes, all relating to the period when
Abbott was Prime Minister except one, which contains material
on the proposed steamship service between Canada and
Australia, 1884-1890.
Assuming that Mr. Mackenzie King's papers will eventually
become the property of the nation, the department is now in
the happy position of being assured of possession of the major
portion of the known papers of every prime minister since
Confederation with the exception of Lord Bennett, whose
extensive files are in the Library of the University of New
Brunswick, in Fredericton.
Other  post-Confederation   papers   received   included   the
| following:
Aberdeen Papers. These consist of the journals, correspondence and scrap-books of the Hon. Ishbel Maria
Marjoribanks, Marchioness of Aberdeen, whose
husband, the first Marquess, was Governor General
of Canada in 1893-1898. While in Canada Lady
Aberdeen   was   instrumental   in   founding   both   the PUBLIC ARCHIVES
National Council of Women and the Victorian Order
of Nurses. Her interesting journals, which fill six
volumes, cover the years 1890-1891 and 1893-1899,
and give a running account of political and social
events of the time. The correspondence is in great
part personal and social, and includes letters from
five prime ministers of Canada. The Papers were
deposited in the Archives by Lady Aberdeen's daughter,
Marjorie, Lady Pentland.
Belcourt-Sissons Correspondence. A first instalment of this
correspondence was described in the Report for 1951.
The letters were addressed to Prof. C. B. Sissons, of
Victoria University, Toronto, by the late Senator
N. A. Belcourt, of Ottawa. Dr. Sissons has now added
46 letters to the file. They were written between
September, 1920, and January, 1928.
Dandurand Reminiscences. Before his death in 1942,
Senator Raoul Dandurand had completed the manuscript of this extensive account of his long and distinguished career. Appointed to the Senate in 1898, he
was Speaker from 1905 to 1909, and Minister without
Portfolio in the King administrations of 1921, 1926
and 1935. He several times represented Canada at
the League of Nations and was elected President of the
Assembly in 1925. The Reminiscences were received
through the good offices of Mr. de Gaspé Beaubien,
of Montreal. Pending a decision as to publication, no
quotations may be made from the manuscript.
Gibbons Papers. Sir George Christie Gibbons, K.C (1848-
1918), was appointed Chairman of the Canadian
Section of the International Waterways Commission
in 1905. He took a leading part in the negotiations
which led to the Boundary Waters Treaty between the
United States and Canada in 1909. One result of
this treaty was the establishment of the present
International Joint Commission. The Papers, which
fill 22 portfolios, were presented by Mr. Alan Gibbons,
of Ottawa, grandson of Sir George Gibbons.
Good Papers. Mr. W. C Good, of Paris, Ontario, farmer
and politician, was for many years a leading representative of farm interests in both politics and the
co-operative movement.    He was an active worker for ! REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 9
the United Farmers of Ontario, represented Brant in
the House of Commons in 1921-1925, and served as
President of the Co-operative Union of Canada. In 1952
Mr. Good presented the major portion of his extensive
and valuable personal papers to the Archives. The
remainder of the collection will be added at a later date.
Hudson Papers. The late Hon. A. B. Hudson, K.C, sat
in the Manitoba Legislature in 1914-1920, and was
elected to the House of Commons in 1921. In 1936
he was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada.
A Liberal in politics, he played an important part in
the negotiations between the Liberal Party and the
Progressives in the mid-1920's. This small but valuable collection of his papers was presented by Mrs.
Hudson.
Mackintosh Papers. The main body of the papers of the
late Charles H. Mackintosh, Lieutenant-Governor of
the Northwest Territories from 1893 to 1898, were
unfortunately destroyed when his home in Ottawa
was burned many years ago. Only a few documents
survive, but the department was glad to receive these
through Mr. Mackintosh's granddaughter, Mrs. John
Brome, of Prescott.
Morrison Memoirs. In 1915 James J. Morrison (1861-1936)
organized and became secretary-treasurer of the United
Farmers of Ontario. When the United Farmers won
the provincial election of 1919, he was invited to form
a government, but declined and advised the Lieutenant-
Governor to send for Mr. E. C Drury, who thereupon
became Premier. Mr. Morrison's memoirs, 117 typewritten pages in length, were presented to the Archives
by his son, Mr. C A. Morrison, of Toronto, whose
permission must be secured before the manuscript can
be consulted.
Johnston Papers. (Microfilm copy, 4 reels.) Alexander
Johnston, C.M.G. (1867-1951), was Deputy Minister
of Marine from 1910 to 1932. An outstanding public
servant, he knew all the leading political figures of the
time. At the request of Mrs. Johnston the Archives
checked and arranged the papers, and by her kind
permission they were microfilmed before they were
presented to St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish. 10 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
The collection consists of general correspondence files;
papers relating to the Nova Scotia Royal Commission,
Provincial   Economic   Inquiry,   1934,   of  which   Mr.
Johnston   was   a   member;    documents   relating   to
censorship in the early years of the second World War ;
and a personal diary covering the period 1933-1939.
Four letters in the handwriting of Sir John A. Macdonald
were presented by Mrs. H. J. Cody, of Toronto, and added to
the great store of Macdonald material already in the Archives.
An interesting gift was received from Dr. W. W. Lynch, of
Sherbrooke, in the form of copies of three letters exchanged by
the Hon. J. A. Chapleau and the donor's father, W. W. Lynch
(later Judge Lynch), in November,  1885, at the time of the
execution of Louis Riel.
Earlier Political Papers
Important accessions included the C. H. Graham Papers,
presented by Mrs. Elsie Graham McDonald, of St. Petersburgh,
Florida, in memory of C H. Sumner, of Ingersol, Ontario. They
consist of letters addressed to C H. Graham, and two addressed
to Dr. James Graham. With a single exception the correspondence is dated within the period 1837-1839, and relates to
the troubled political events of the time. The collection, which
consists in all of 116 pages, includes letters from David Gibson,
Dr. A. K. McKenzie, William Lyon Mackenzie, Dr. T. D.
Morrison, Dr. John Rolph, Mrs. Rolph, T. J. Paterson, William
Leslie and Francis Hincks.
Other papers acquired included two letters from Thomas
D'Arcy McGee written in June, 1866.
"Projet" of Baron de Lahontan
A gift of quite exceptional interest was presented to the
Archives by Mr. W. A. Mather, President of the Canadian
Pacific Railway. It consists of a 28-page manuscript in the
handwriting of the famous Baron de Lahontan and is entitled
Projet d'un Fort Anglois dans le Lac Errié. It is of particular
interest because the Archives already possessed two companion
pieces. One of these, entitled Abrégé Instructif des affaires du
Canada, was presented to the department by Lady Oakes in
1940. The other, Ebauche d'un projet pour enlever Kebec et
Plaisance, was included in the Northcliffe Collection, which was
given to the Public Archives by Sir Leicester Harmsworth in REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 11
1923. All three documents are believed to have been drafted in
1696, and all relate to the time when Lahontan was at outs with
the French authorities, and was ready to offer his advice and
services to the British. The manuscript in the Oakes Collection
gives a general account of New France. The Northcliffe item
suggests ways and means of capturing Quebec and Placentia.
The new acquisition advises the British to establish a fort near
Niagara, on Lake Erie. This would command the overland
routes between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, and thereby check
French expansion both westward and southward towards
the Mississippi.
All three manuscripts were at one time part of the fabulous
collection assembled by Sir Thomas Phillips, and it is a happy
circumstance that, after being separated for many years, they
have once again found a new and permanent home under
one roof.
By an interesting coincidence the Archives also received
from the William L. Clements Library in Ann Arbor, Michigan,
a photostatic copy of a fourth Lahontan document which seems
to belong with the other three. It is entitled Brief Discours
qui montre en substance Combien il seroit important de réussir
dans deux entreprises proposées et contenues en ce mémoire. The
two "entreprises" suggested were the seizure of Port Royal, in
Acadia, by the British, and the establishment of trade relations
between the British and the Indian allies of New France in the
Lake Ontario-Lake Erie region. Had Lahontan's projects been
carried out, they would certainly have spelled the doom of
French rule in what is now Canada.
Military Manuscripts
A number of papers of military interest were received
during the year. The earliest in date is a letter written by
James Wolfe; the most recent came from the pen of Viscount
Alexander of Tunis almost two centuries after Wolfe's death.
The letter from Wolfe was addressed to Captain Parr of
the 67th Regiment on January 24, 1758, shortly after Wolfe
learned that he was to play a part in the next campaign in
North America. It reads in part as follows: "You have heard
by this of our sudden Orders for North America of which I was
apprized at Exeter a fortnight ago & covered the distance pretty
fast (170 miles in 20 Hours) stumbling in the darkness over
Salisbury Plain.    We won't speak of rewards for this heroick 12 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
achievement: but yesterday I was commissioned Brigadier
under Genl Amherst & our Squadron expects to sail in about a
week. My time of American Service is uncertain, depending
on our success . . . ." It is more friendly and informal than
most of Wolfe's letters and is signed: "Ever, my dear Parr,
Yours Affectionately, James Wolfe."
A brief autograph letter written by Guy Carleton and dated
"Camp before Quebec July 21st 1759" was added to the collections. A photostatic copy of a letter from Carleton to Lord
North, dated at Quebec, May 24, 1777, and giving his views on
various current questions, was received from the Public Record
Office, London, where the original was discovered. in Treasury
files of the time.
The Archives has acquired a memorandum book kept by
Lieut. Gilbert Purdy, who enlisted on March 15, 1777, and took
part later the same year in the Danbury raid and the Battle of
Brandywine. His notes give a running commentary on the
events of the year, with random jottings which extend into
January, 1778. Purdy settled at Maligash Point in Ramsheg
Township, Nova Scotia.
The John Crysler Papers, presented by Mr. W. F. Hilliard,
of Ottawa, include the orderly book of the first regiment of the
Dundas Militia for the years 1822-1850. A number of pay lists
and muster rolls are amongst the loose papers included in
the collection.
Letters and papers of Lieut.-Col. Simon Fraser, consisting
in all of 38 pages and relating to the Grenville County Militia
and the Kemptville Drill Association in the 1860's, were
presented by Mr. F. C. Etherington, of Toronto.
Thirteen letters written by Lieut.-Col. R. E. C. Jarvis to
members of his family while he was on active service with the
67th Regiment were presented by Col. C. P. Meredith, of
Ottawa. Eleven of these relate to the war in Afghanistan,
1879-1880. The other two are earlier in date: one was written
from Canton, China, in 1860; the other in 1871, after the writer
had returned from service with an ambulance corps during the
Franco-Prussian War.
Through Mr. G. H. Carter, of Freeman, Ontario, the
Archives received an interesting letter addressed by Major-
General Sir Frederick Middleton to Big Bear on June 2, 1885,
in the closing days of the Northwest Rebellion. In this note,
which is written in pencil, the General informed Big Bear that REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 13
having "utterly defeated Riel, at Batoche with great loss" and
"made Prisoners of Riel, Poundmaker, and his principal chiefs,"
he now called upon Big Bear himself to surrender, with his
chiefs and prisoners.
When Field Marshall the Rt. Hon. the Viscount Alexander
of Tunis was on the point of leaving Canada, the Archives
received from him a notable parting gift in the form of a copy
of the Memoirs in which Lord Alexander describes his campaigns
of 1942-1944 in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. The narrative
consists of seven mimeographed volumes.
Other Manuscripts Received
It will be recalled that in 1950 the Archives purchased the
well-known Hargrave Collection, which consists of a great
mass of correspondence relating to the fur trade and the
Hudson's Bay Company assembled by Chief Factor James
Hargrave. To this there has now been added a second collection, known as the Hargrave-Mactavish Papers. Although they
include only a few references to James, Joseph or Letitia
Hargrave, they have been so designated because their interest
for Canadians lies in the fact that most of the 2500 documents
relate directly or indirectly to members of Letitia (Mactavish)
Hargrave's family. Letitia Hargrave, it will be remembered,
was the writer of the Letters published in 1947 by the Champlain
Society. There are many papers relating to Lachlan Mactavish,
Letitia's grandfather, and to her father, Dugald Mactavish.
The bulk of the papers belong to the period 1750-1850, but there
are a few earlier items, including a document relating to
Dunardry, the Mactavish family seat, dated 1548.
Sixty documents relating to the Reynolds, Freligh and Van
Vleet families of Mississquoi County, Quebec, were given to the
Archives by Miss Bernice Reynolds, of Ottawa. The family
connections are shown in the marriage certificates of Abraham
Freligh and Charity Van Vleet (1775), and of Benjamin
Reynolds and Polly Freligh (1805). The papers consist of
deeds, commissions, receipts, etc., and to these Miss Reynolds
has added genealogical tables of the Reynolds and Van Vleet
families.
For some years past the Archives has had an agreement
with the Department of Resources and Development regarding
the disposition of any documents which may be found in old
cairns discovered in the far north.    In accordance with this
78065-^ 14 PULIC ARCHIVES
agreement the Archives received in 1952 two interesting items
relating to the Franklin search expedition of 1850-1851. The
first is a pencil message written by W. B. Shellabear, Second
Master of H.M.S. Intrepid, dated August 29, 1850, and left in
a bottle at Barlow Inlet. The second message, signed by Sir
John Ross, was written on August 12, 1851, and buried in a
cairn at Prospect Hill, near Assistance Bay. Both were found
by R. Thorsteinson of the Geological Survey of Canada in
July, 1952.
Mr. R. W. Shepherd, of Como, Quebec, kindly permitted
the Archives to make a photostatic copy of the Personal History,
1819-1860, written by his father, the late R. W. Shepherd, Sr.,
who came to Canada as a boy in 1830 and died in 1895. Amongst
other things he was associated with early steamboat services on
the Ottawa River.
Mr. Raleigh Parkin, of Montreal, has given the Archives
the manuscript of the first press message ever sent across the
Atlantic Ocean by wireless telegraph. This message was sent
from Newfoundland by Mr. Parkin's father, Dr. George (later
Sir George) Parkin, to The Times on December 21, 1902. To
guard against the possibility of fraud, Dr. Parkin drafted his
message in such a way that an extra word could be added just
before it was handed to the operator for transmission. This
extra word was duly received in London, thereby proving that
trans-ocean communication by wireless had indeed become
a reality.
Several items relating to the history of Canadian railways
were received. These included an historical sketch of the
Canada Southern Railway, 1831-1903, by A. D. R. Fraser.
From Scotland Miss Heather Donald sent to the Archives the
Recollections of a sojourn in Canada from 1886-1889 written in
the latter year by James Gordon, of Lumphanan. Gordon
worked on the main line of the Canadian Pacific Railway in
British Columbia, and w^as later employed by farmers and
contractors in Ontario. This brief account of his experiences
throws interesting light on working conditions at the time.
Mrs. William Hendrie presented a copy of an address
entitled A Trip to the Pacific Ocean by the Canadian Pacific
Railway in 1888 delivered by her father, the late Adam Brown,
who represented Hamilton in the House of Commons from 1887
to 1891. A very different account of a journey over some of
the same ground is given in the Recollections of the Tour of REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952
Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip in Alberta, 1951 by Mrs,
Prudham, whose husband, the Hon. George Prudham, was
official host on the royal train between Swift Current and Banff.
Two volumes of transcripts which have been in the
possession of the Library of Parliament for many years were
transferred to the Public Archives. One large volume, entitled
Documents Historiques, 1611-1776, consists of copies of documents in France which were made by Father P. Martin about
1853. The other, entitled Celeron de Blainville, 1749, is a copy
of a journal kept by Celeron when sent to Belle-Rivière by the
Marquis de la Gallisonnière, in 1749.
Departmental Records Received
Transfers of departmental records had to be kept to a
minimum owing to lack of stackroom space. The chief items
received were the following:
Department of Public Works. Files for the period 1860-
1879, relating to the construction of canals and public
buildings. The papers include a great number of
purely routine records which can be sorted out and
discarded. As received, the files occupy 300 feet of
shelving.
Department of Transport
Canals Branch files, 1879-1899. These files, which
occupy 90 feet of shelving, date back to the old
Department of Railways and Canals, which was
set up in 1879. Like the Public Works files, they
include much routine material that can be
eliminated.
Shipping Registers. The following were added to the
large collection already in the Archives; all are
first registers: (413) Port Hawkesbury, N.S., 1894-
1937; (414) Victoria, B.C., 1881-1892; (417)
Victoria, B.C., 1897-1908; (415) Chatham, N.B.,
1899-1907; (416) Sydney, N.S., 1906-1932.
Quebec Bridge and Railway Company Records.
Organized in 1887 as a private corporation, this
company attempted to bridge the St. Lawrence
River above Quebec City. The structure collapsed in 1907, and the project was then taken
over by the Government of Canada and placed
78065—41 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
under the supervision of the Department of
Railways and Canals. The records consist of
minute books, correspondence, stock certificates,
etc.
Department of Mines and Technical Surveys
Surveyor General, Letter Books, 1881-1915. This
extensive record of outward correspondence over
a period of 34 years was carefully screened, purely
routine papers were eliminated, and the letters of
permanent interest filed in portfolios.
Royal Commission on National Development in the Arts,
Letters and Sciences, 1949-1951. With the exception
of confidential correspondence and financial papers,
the records of this Commission (popularly known as
the Massey Commission) have been transferred to
the Archives.
Secretary of State
Custodian of Enemy Property. Files relating to the
discharge of internees in the first World War were
received. Certificates have been arranged in alphabetical order.
Microfilms from the Archives of the Hudson's Bay Company
Excellent progress has been made in the important work
of microfilming the Archives of the Hudson's Bay Company
covering the two centuries 1670 to 1870. The project will
probably be completed by the spring of 1954. It will be recalled
that the microfilming is being done by the Company itself, with
the assistance of an extra camera and operator furnished by the
Public Archives of Canada. The master negatives are sent to
this continent to be placed in a vault for safekeeping, and before
they go into storage the Archives is permitted to make a positive
print, which is kept in Ottawra. Use of the positive copies is
governed by the same regulations that apply to use of the
original documents in London, and applications for permission
to consult them should be sent direct to The Secretary, Hudson's
Bay Company, Beaver House, Great Trinity Lane, London,
E.C.4, England. The text of the Company's regulations was
printed as an appendix to the Report of the Archives for 1951.
Copies may be obtained from the Company or from the Archives. REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 17
A total of 508 reels of film had been received in Ottawa by
the end of 1952. Of these 368 consisted of facsimiles of part of
class "A", which is composed of the records of the London
office of the Hudson's Bay Company. The remaining 140 reels
contained a complete copy of class "C", consisting of ships' logs,
ships' books, and a few miscellaneous papers. For the convenience of scholars a brief indication of the nature of the
principal documents microfilmed to date is given below.
Detailed catalogues will be available at a later date.
Class "A"
Minute Books, 1671-1870.
London Agenda Books, 1816-1871.
London Correspondence Books—Outward:
General Series, 1753-1871.
H.B.C. Official, 1679-1870.
London Locked Private Letter Books, 1823-1875.
London  Correspondence  with  Government   Departments
(Colonial Office, Foreign Office, Admiralty, War Office,
etc.), 1813-1882/83.
London Inward Correspondence:
General, 1712-1870.
From H.B.C. Posts (arranged by posts;   dates vary;
earliest letters are 1701;  mostly 19th century).
From Governors of H.B.C. Territories:
Sir George Simpson, 1823-1860.
Eden Colvile, 1849-1852.
William Mactavish, 1860-1870.
A. G. Dallas, 1862-1865.
London    Correspondence    between    H.B.C.    and    H.M.
Government,  1683-1870.
Grand Ledgers, 1667-1872.
Grand Journals, 1676-1872.
Officers'   and   Servants'   Ledgers,   Account   Books,   etc.
(arranged in part by post;  earliest entry 1719).
Ledger and Journal of H.B.C  Foreign  Correspondents,
1694-1706.
Cash Books, 1794-1877.
Invoice Books of Shipments to Hudson Bay, 1684-1832. 18 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
Class "C"
Of the 140 reels in this series, 131 are composed of copies
of ships' logs. The series extends in date from 1751 to 1871.
This remarkable collection is arranged alphabetically, by the
name of the vessel, and includes logs of a large number of voyages
both from Great Britain to Hudson Bay, and from London to
Fort Vancouver and Fort Victoria.
The remaining nine reels consist of copies of seamen's
wages books (1726-1806), and a collection of ships' books, and
miscellaneous papers. The majority of these are again arranged
alphabetically, by the name of the ship to which they refer.
Microfilms and Transcripts from the Public Record Office, London
The major project undertaken in 1952 was the microfilming
of the first part of series CO. 42. This is probably the most
important single file of documents in the Public Record Office
relating to Canada, and includes the correspondence exchanged
between the various Governors and the Colonial Office. The
text of many of the papers in CO. 42 is to be found in the
extensive set of transcripts in the Public Archives known as
series "Q", but these transcripts were made many years ago,
when it was not permissible to copy the minutes, notes, etc.,
which had been added to many of the documents by officials in
London. These annotations are frequently most valuable and
revealing, and it is important that they should be readily
available to Canadian scholars. The transcripts in series "Q"
extend only as far as 1840-1841. It is proposed to carry the
microfilming forward to 1867 as rapidly as possible, and
eventually to photograph series CO. 42 down to 1900.
A second series of great interest is CO. 194, the major file
in the Public Record Office relating to Newfoundland. Only a
few volumes have been microfilmed as yet, but the intention is
to copy it complete from the beginning to 1900.
Microfilms received in 1952 included the following:
CO. 42, Vols. 1-132. These contain papers relating to the
old Province of Quebec, 1760-1791, and to Lower
Canada, 1791-1807. Vols. 24-132 of CO. 42 correspond roughly to vols. 1-102 of series "Q". The latter
are analyzed in Parker's Guide to the Documents in
the Manuscript Room at the Public Archives of Canada,
pp. 100-114. REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 19
CO. 194, Vols. 5-26. Newfoundland. Vols. 1-21 consist
of original correspondence of the Board of Trade,
1696-1793; vols. 22-26 of original correspondence of
the Secretary of State, 1702-1765.
CO. 305, Vols. 1-30 (complete). Vancouver Island. Incoming correspondence with minutes, memoranda, and
draft replies, 1846-1866.
CO. 410, Vols. 1-2 (complete).    Vancouver Island.    Entry
books, 1849-1867.
Microfilming has now almost entirely taken the place of
copying in longhand, but a transcript of W.O. 1, Vol. 559, which
had been begun some time ago, was completed and received
in Ottawa.
Microfilms and Transcripts from Paris
Good progress has been made with the microfilming of the
documents in the great "C" series of the Archives des Colonies.
Copying completed included the following:
C^A, Vols. 13-126. Canada, General Correspondence,
1694-1784. These volumes complete the series. An
analysis of vols. 1-122 will be found in Parker's Guide,
pp. 227-238.
C^B, Vols. 4-38. Ile Royale, General Correspondence,
1712-1762. The series has now been copied complete.
For an analysis see Parker's Guide, pp. 241-245.
F3, Vols. 2-5.    Collection Moreau St-Méry.    The principal
contents are indicated in Parker, pp. 249-250.
As series "E", which contains a great store of miscellaneous
papers relating to personnel, is not suitable for microfilming,
the files of persons of interest to Canada are being copied by
hand as opportunity offers. Excerpts from vols. 23-33 were
received during the year.
Four important items were copied for the Archives in the
Bibliothèque Nationale.    They were as follows :
Margry
Collection
Vol
.   9273.    (Microfilm)    This
volume
contains   a
collection   of   "memoirs"
relating
to   Canada,
including one by Bougainville entitled "Mémoire
sur l'état de la Nouvelle France, à 1
époque de la
guerre de sept ans". 20 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
Vol.   9281.    (Transcript)    Miscellaneous    documents
relating to the Sieur de Monts, Marc Lescarbot,
the Marquis de Biencourt, La Tour, Champigny
and others, 1603-1749.
Vol. 9381.    (Microfilm)    Amongst other papers this
volume includes the correspondence which passed
between Pierre Margry and the historian Francis
Parkman.
Fonds Français,  Vol. 15,987.     (Microfilm and transcript)
The documents in this volume date from 1613-1614
and   consist   mostly   of   letters   from   the    French
Ambassador  in   London,   and   other   French   agents,
regarding alleged attacks by the  British on French
ships  and  fishermen  on  the  coasts  of  Canada  and
Greenland.    As the handwriting is very difficult to
decipher, a transcript was secured for the convenience
of scholars as well as the microfilm.
Microfilms from Other Sources
Three notable items should be listed under this heading:
Massachusetts Archives, Vols. 23-24. Through the courtesy
of the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts the
Archives was able to secure a microfilm of these volumes, which
contain documents of the period 1755-1780 relating to the
French Neutrals.
Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning. The
early records of the Royal Institution, which are preserved at
McGill University, were microfilmed in 1952, and the Archives
purchased a positive print. Reel 1 consists of copies of letter
books for the period 1820-1855; reels 2-8 are copies of inward
letters, etc., 1820 to 1849.
American Fur Company Papers. A second instalment of
the microfilm copies of the papers in the collections of the New
York Historical Society was received. The ten reels contain
business papers of the period 1834-1847, and include the material
listed under Nos. 16,404 to 16,485 in the calendar printed some
years ago by the American Historical Association.
Precautionary Microfilming of Key Files
Work on this project continues, but progress has been
relatively slow owing to the necessity of using the camera from
time to time for other work. REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 21
The chief item microfilmed in 1952 was series G 1. This
is one of the most valuable sets of documents in the Archives,
for it includes the despatches from the Colonial Office to the
Governors of Quebec, 1784-1790, the Governors of Canada,
1791-1909, and to the Lieutenant-Governors of Upper Canada,
1796-1841. It consists of 436 volumes, which were microfilmed
on 107 reels of film.
MAP DIVISION
The Map Division had an exceptionally busy year. The
number of enquiries considered of sufficient importance to be
noted in the register was 459. In 1951 the number was 336,
and in 1950 only 234. Some of the questions could be answered
readily in a few moments; others entailed long and careful
research.
Again many requests were received from teachers and
others for copies of maps with which to illustrate courses in
history, geography and economics. Other sets of maps were
assembled for use as book illustrations, and as source material
for films and filmstrips. It is clear that the demand for service
of this kind is growing rapidly, and a record of many of the
maps supplied is now being kept in order to ascertain whether
it follows any definite pattern. If it does, the Division may
be able to prepare standard ready-made sets of maps which
wd^d fill many needs and save a considerable amount of
staff time.
The Division has devoted much time and effort to the
historical section of the new Atlas of Canada which is now being
prepared by the Department of Mines and Technical Surveys.
Present plans call for the following: 30 reproductions of early
maps illustrating the changes in the conception of Canada's
coastline and water systems; four larger maps showing routes
of explorers and the trade routes in common use at different
periods; four more, showing the gradual extension of geographical
knowledge of different parts of the country, and 21 smaller maps
showing changes in Canada's external and internal boundaries.
It is felt that when the new Atlas appears, the historical section
will bear comparison both in material and technique with anything of the kind published heretofore.
A display illustrating the history of the charting of Halifax
Harbour was prepared for the annual meeting of the Canadian
Institute of Surveying.    Several talks on the character of the 22 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
collections, the system of map filing used, etc., and on early
geographical conceptions were given to groups who visited the
Archives, and all were received with enthusiasm. It is clear
that latent popular interest in maps is much greater than is
generally supposed.
The Division's major project continues to be the compilation of two large-scale catalogues, one devoted to 16th-
century maps relating to the area now comprising Canada, and
the other to maps of Acadia in the period 1600-1763. Both are
well advanced, but both have been delayed by the volume of
general reference work which must now be dealt with. One
must also reckon with the dynamic nature of the projects themselves. The catalogue of 16th-century maps, for example, has
grown out of all recognition since it was first planned. The initial
intention was to produce a check list of maps which were
represented in the Public Archives by originals or copies. To this
was soon added a plan for explanatory notes which would place
the individual maps in some perspective. This perspective would
obviously be improved if the collection included representations
of all significant 16th-century maps, and the temptation to try
to acquire these soon became irresistible. Inevitably the
completion of the catalogue has been much delayed, but in the
long view this has already been shown to be worth while. For
one thing, although the Archives still has very few original
16th-century maps, it now has what we believe to be the best
study collection of such material on the continent. For
another, the long-awaited catalogue of 16th-century maps
relating to Canada promises to be a research publication of
major importance in its field, instead of the simple check list
at first contemplated.
About 1,370 maps were added to the collections during the
year. Many of these were of routine interest, but more maps
of importance (originals or copies) were acquired than in any
previous year. The chief of these are indicated in the notes
which follow.
Copies of 16th-Century Maps
Excellent photostats of the following have been acquired:
1522.    "Orbis    Typus    Universalis     Iuxta    Hydographorum
Traditionem Exactissime Depicta.     1522.    L.F."    A
widely-circulated  map of the world  by  Laurentius
Frisius, from the Serve tus edition of Ptolemy, 1535. REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952
1554.
1562.
Manuscript map of the world, dated 1554, by the
Portuguese Lopo Homem, now preserved in the Museo
degli Strumenti Antichi, in Florence. One of the
largest maps of the century, and the chief effort of
the prolific Lopo Homem.
A beautifully engraved and very decorative map of
North and South America in nine sheets, in a factitious
atlas in the Museo Civico Correr in Venice. Though
untitled, unsigned and undated, this could be the map
prepared by the Venetian geographer Gastaldi to
illustrate his pamphlet La Universale Descrittione del
Mundo, of 1562, in which he put forward the idea of
the Strait of Anian.
1574.
A two-sheet engraved map of North and South America,
untitled, but with a dedication signed by the Veronese
cartographer Paolo di Forlani and dated 1574. This
map and the preceding one give the largest-scale and
most detailed representations of the Strait of Anian.
1582? An untitled, undated manuscript of the northern
hemisphere, marked "S Humfray Gylbert knight his
charte" and bearing the cabalistic sign of Queen
Elizabeth's astrologer, Dr. John Dee. The map was
probably made for Gilbert about 1582 by Dee, who
was geographical adviser to Gilbert, Frobisher and
Davis, and it features the North West Passage which
all four so ardently wished to find.
1587. "Orbis Terrae Compendiosa Descriptio", by Rumold
Mercator, son of the great Gerard Mercator.
1589. "Maris Pacifici (quod vulgô Mar del Zur)", by Abraham
Ortelius.
1596. "Nova Orbis Terrarum Descriptio", by John Blagrave,
London. A world map by this noted Elizabethan
mathematician, on a most unusual projection which
throws the northern hemisphere into the greatest
prominence. Beautifully engraved by Benjamin
Wright, one of the best-known early engravers of maps.
1598. North and South Hemispheres, each entitled "Hemi-
spheriû ab Aequinoctiali Linea, ad Circulû Poli . . . ",
by Cornelius de Jode. Includes a good representation
of the Strait of Anian. 24 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
The photostats of the work of Frisius, Mercator, Ortelius
and de Jode were part of a gift, consisting of an unusually fine
set of photo-reproductions, presented to the Archives by Dr.
A. E. MacDonald, of Toronto. This gift also included photostats of a map by Munster (c. 1550), a Berteli (c. 1556-1572),
two maps from a Ptolemy of 1574, and a Botero of 1611 which
is a reduction of a 16th-century Ortelius.
A further item of kindred interest may be noted at this
point. Photostats acquired during the year included a copy of
the "Nova Orbis Terrarum Delineatio", by Philip Eckebrecht,
Nuremberg, 1630. This world map is projected according to
the calculations of Eckebrecht's friend, the famous astronomer
Johann Kepler. It is of great interest because it gives the
earliest known representation of Baffin's Bay, and perhaps partly
reproduces Baffin's own lost chart.
Copies of Maps of Acadia
Research for the catalogue of early maps of Acadia revealed
that an important collection of original manuscript maps of
this region had been purchased some years ago by the Henry
E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery at San Marino, California. This consists of 22 maps, all of which date from the
period of the Seven Years' War. The Huntington Library very
kindly permitted the Archives to purchase photostatic copies for
study purposes. They represent sections of the coast and
various settlements and fortifications on the Nova Scotia
mainland, Cape Breton Island, the Chignecto Isthmus, and
New Brunswick.
Several items later in date but referring to the same general
area were secured as well. Perhaps the most interesting of
these is a photostat of Lieutenant D. Campbell's manuscript plan
of the City of Fredericton, 1785-86. This was made at the
time the town was being first laid out, and the town lots are all
numbered. The map is an interesting companion-piece to the
copy of the original town-lot plan of Saint John, dated 1783,
which was acquired in 1951.
During the year a fine collection of plans of the Halifax
fortifications was transferred by the Department of National
Defence to the National Parks Division and forwarded to the
Archives of Nova Scotia and the new Citadel Museum in
Halifax.    Before shipment these were repaired,  cleaned and REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 25
mounted by the Public Archives, and photostatic copies were
made for the Map Division. Fifteen of the items were Royal
Engineer plans of the Citadel, ranging in date from the 1840's
to the 1880's, and giving much precise information on the
fortress, which is at present being restored. Two carefully
drawn plans, sections and elevations of the Duke of York's
famous Clock Tower on Citadel Hill, showing the structure as
it was in 1871 and 1880, were included in the collection.
Admiralty Hydrographie Department Collection
In 1950 the Hydrographie Department of the Admiralty
published a catalogue entitled A Summary of Selected Manuscript
Documents of Historic Importance preserved in the Archives of the
Department. This very remarkable and historically most
interesting collection is arranged in groups which correspond
to broad geographical regions. Three of these touch Canada—
the East Coast of North America, the West Coast of North
America, and Arctic Exploration. By courtesy of the Hydro-
graphic Department the Archives is being permitted to purchase
photostatic copies of all items in these three groups which are of
Canadian interest. Many of the prints were received this year,
and they have added numerous maps of quite unusual interest
to our collections.
About 40 maps relating to the West Coast are included.
Amongst them are many manuscript charts prepared as a result
of the voyages of Cook and Vancouver. Some are fair copies;
others are sketches. Most of them are on a larger scale, and
are more detailed, than the published maps. Special mention
should be made of a very large chart entitled "North Pacific
ocean and Behring Sea . . . with Capt. Cook's track", 1778-
1779. This bears a manuscript note signed by Captain Bligh,
later of the Bounty. Two companion charts of equal size cover
somewhat smaller areas.
The charts of the Arctic probably constitute the finest
existing group of maps of the far north dating from the first
half of the 19th century. Most of the expeditions made in that
period were carried out by personnel of the Royal Navy. As
with the West Coast Series, many of the charts are fair manuscript copies of detailed surveys, and are much larger than
anything in print. Others are tracings of coastlines, etc.,
actually made on the spot. PUBLIC ARCHIVES
The expeditions represented in the photostatic copies
secured by the Archives include the following:
Ross's first voyage, 1818, in the ''Isabella" and "Alexander".
The charts include a huge map in six great sheets, with inset
views of the coastline, compiled on a scale of about 12 miles to
the inch.    The area covered is Davis Strait and Baffin Bay.
Parry's first voyage, 1819-1820, in the uHecla" and "Griper".
This expedition succeeded in penetrating to Melville Island.
One large chart covers the passage from Lancaster Sound west
to Melville Island in much detail. Another, on a still larger
scale, follows the track only as far west as Cornwallis Island.
Parry's second voyage, 1821-1823, in the "Hecla" and "Fury'\
Two charts between them cover the area from the northern end
of Southampton Island northward to Fury and Hecla Strait.
The south and east coasts of Melville Peninsula are thus
included.
Franklin's first land expedition, 1819-1822. Three charts
show much of the route followed in considerable detail. The
first extends from Cumberland House to Lake Athabaska, the
second carries the route forward to the Coppermine River,
while the third follows the river to its mouth and extends into
Coronation Gulf and Bathurst Inlet.
Franklin's second land expedition, 1825. A chart representing the route "from Great Bear Lake to the Polar Sea" is of
great interest because it contains the first good representation
of Great Bear Lake.
Back's land expedition, 1833-1835. The photostats include
a copy of Back's own map which is entitled "A Chart of the
Discoveries & Route of the Arctic Land Expedition, in the
Years 1833 & 1834". The" area covered extends from Great
Slave Lake to Chantrey Inlet, on the Arctic coast, by way of
the Back River.
Hudson's Bay Company Maps
Of equal interest is a group of photostats of maps in the
Archives of the Hudson's Bay Company. These date back to
the days of Samuel Hearne and Phillip Turnor, and represent
the first detailed and scientific surveys of the great river systems
of the Canadian West between Hudson Bay and Great Slave REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 27
Lake. Negative photostatic copies of most of them were made
years ago for Dr. J. B. Tyrrell, when he was editing Hearne's
and Tumor's journals for the Champlain Society. These
negatives are now part of the J. B. Tyrrell Papers, in the Toronto
Public Library, and the prints in the Archives were mostly
made from them, thanks to the kindness of the Library.
Seven items are included in the collection. The earliest is
"A Map of part of the Inland Country to the N[ort]h W[es]t of
Prince of Wales Fort . . . 1772", which is actually the fair
manuscript copy of the map made by Hearne himself after his
famous Arctic journey. It was the first detailed map of the
Barren Grounds between Fort Churchill and Great Slave Lake,
and of the Coppermine River. The manuscript is more detailed
than the engraved map which was printed in Hearne's Journey.
The other six maps are all by Turnor. Five of them,
probably all dating from 1778-1780, are charts of rivers flowing
into Hudson Bay and James Bay, and of lakes in this region.
The sixth is Tumor's most ambitious and comprehensive work,
his "Map of Hudson's Bay and the Rivers and Lakes between
the Atlantick and Pacifick Oceans", which was completed in
1794.
Other Maps Received
A number of other maps of more than routine interest were
acquired, a few of which should be noted here.
From Mr. Norman D. Clarke the Archives received a very
clear photograph of one of the treasures of the Library of
Congress—the anonymous manuscript map entitled "Description du Pais des Hurons 1651". At one time the Division
inclined to the opinion that this was only an 18th-century copy,
but careful study of capital letters, numerals, etc., and comparison with other maps of known date, indicate that 1651 is a
quite possible date. In this event it is our earliest and best
map of Huronia.
Through the kindness of Father René Baudry, of St.
Joseph's University, the Division was able to secure a very
large and clear copy of the manuscript map in the Bibliothèque
Nationale entitled "La grande baye de S. laurens en la nouvelle
france . . . faite par Le R. père Emmanuel jumeau recollet,
missionaire en canada. 4 oct. 1685". The map is a landmark
in the cartography of the Maritime Provinces, and hitherto we
have had only inferior copies. 28
PUBLIC ARCHIVES
Purchases included plans of four Newfoundland harbours
(Harbour Grace, Catalina, Bonavista and Bay Bulls) from the
English Pilot of 1725. The surveys were probably made by one
Gaudy about ten years before.
Another interesting acquisition was a plan and elevation of
Fort St. Jean on the Richelieu, dated September, 1748. The
original is in the Depot des Fortifications des Colonies, Paris,
and this copy was secured through the kindness of M. Lionel
Audet Lapointe, of Montreal. This is the Division's best plan
of Fort St. Jean dating back to the French period.
Through the courtesy of the Geographical Branch of the
Department of Mines and Technical Surveys the Archives was
able to copy the map entitled "Carte De La partie Septentrionale
et Occidentale de l'Amérique d'après les relations les plus
récentes dressés en 1764" from S. Engel's scarce Mémoires et
Observations Géographiques et Critiques sur la Situation des Pays
Septentrionaux (1765). This has one of the very few new
geographical concepts of the Canadian West produced between
the time of the Vérendryes and the time of Peter Pond, and a
most interesting and individual one it is.
Again through the courtesy of M. Lionel A. Lapointe, the
Archives secured photostatic copies of two manuscript plans
and views of the blockhouse at Point au Fer and the stockaded
fort on Grande Isle, Lake Champlain, by Simon Metcalfe, 1780.
The originals are in the Library of the Fort Ticonderoga
Museum.
A photostat of "A Sketch of the North Shore of Lake
Superior collected from the Journal of a Coasting Survey and
remarks made by Lieut. Bennet of the 8th Regiment", dated
1794, was acquired. The document copied is a redrawing of a
manuscript plan in the Ontario Department of Lands. This is
one of the most detailed early surveys of this coast.
Ten sheets from an original example of P. H. Vandermaelen's
Atlas Universel de Géographie (Brussels, 1827), covering the
Laurentian Shield and west to the Rockies, were purchased.
Though published in Belgium, these were the largest-scale maps
of Western Canada and Northern Quebec printed up to that
date, with a good coverage of water systems, trading posts,
trails, etc., and many names.
A map showing all lighthouses in the lower Great Lakes,
the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and the Maritime Provinces in 1850
will be of interest to those concerned with navigation and
shipwrecks in these waters a century ago. REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 29
Mr. R. B. Harkness, of Toronto, kindly arranged for the
Archives to secure a copy of a map relating to early petroleum
discoveries in Canada. The original, which is owned by Mr.
Charles Fairbank, of Petrolia, Ontario, is entitled "Map of
Lot 18, Con. II in Enniskillen township". It was prepared by
J. H. Fairbank in 1862, and shows many of the surface wells
dug previous to that date, and drilled wells of that year, with
later additions to about 1866. This is one of the very few
detailed early surveys of Canadian oil fields.
From the Army Survey Establishments the Archives
received by transfer a number of maps which illustrate various
periods in military map-making in Canada. A "Map of part
of the Eastern Townships of the Province of Quebec Executed
by graduates of the Royal Military College of Canada under the
superintendence of Captain A. H. Lee R.A. Instructor in
Topography. 1894" is the Division's only example of a good
military topographical map from the period between the surveys
of the American Civil War era and the commencement, after
the turn of the century, of the Militia and Defence series (now
absorbed in the current National Topographic Series). Eight
large rolls of maps prepared by the Department of Militia and
Defence between 1903 and 1907 are probably the original
manuscripts from which the "inch to the mile" printed Militia
and Defence maps of the early 1900's were prepared. They
cover a good part of Western Ontario, the Ottawa region, the
Montreal region, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec. A
1911 index map to sheets of the "inch to the mile" and "half
inch to the mile" maps of Canada issued by Militia and Defence
shows the coverage which the series had effected at that date.
Two copies were received of the very interesting "Land-
form" map of Canada, produced in 1949 by Dr. Erwin Raisz
of the Institute of Geographical Exploration at Harvard
University. Not only did Dr. Raisz give us his own edition of
the map, but the Office of the United States Quartermaster
General presented to the Archives a copy of another edition,
lithographed by them in 1950, in rather stronger colours, which
seems to give a clearer picture of the geographical features
which have aided or checked Canada's explorers, traders
and soldiers.
From the Cartography Division of the Geological Survey
the Archives received a memento of the visit to Canada of
Their Royal Highnesses the Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of
Edinburgh.    This  consisted  of  the   special   map  of  Canada 30 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
prepared by the Division and placed in the lounge of the Royal
Train during the tour. This attractive production of impeccable
draughtsmanship is bordered with the arms of Their Royal
Highnesses, the arms of Canada, and those of the ten Provinces,
all illuminated.
PICTURE DIVISION
Historians, teachers, authors, publishers and film producers
all made frequent use of the resources of the Picture Division,
and the staff, which was short-handed much of the time, had
a busy year. More enquiries than usual were received from
persons who were engaged in making filmstrips, and many
hundreds of pictures of all descriptions were carefully examined
in an effort to give all possible assistance to the script writers
and producers.
The Division was able to be of some assistance to the
Hakluyt Society, which is preparing a complete new edition of
the journals of Captain Cook. The Society is anxious to list
all original manuscripts, drawings, etc., relating to Cook which
are known to be in existence, and the Archives undertook to
prepare the return for Canada. As is well known, the Picture
Division has in its possession some of the drawings executed by
Webber in the course of Cook's third and last voyage.
The Wisconsin State Historical Society asked for assistance
in the preparation of a study of the work of Peter Rindisbacher,
a young painter who came out to the Red River with the Swiss
Colonists in 1821 and later settled in Wisconsin. The Archives
has in its collections a series of forty water-colour drawings by
Rindisbacher depicting incidents of the emigration.
Interesting acquisitions included copies of two portraits of
Colin Robertson, the fur trader, whose Correspondence Book was
published by the Champlain Society and the Hudson's Bay
Record Society in 1939. It was not known at that time that
any likeness of Robertson existed. One of the original portraits
is the treasured possession of Miss Francis Harman, of Toronto,
who is a grand-niece of Colin Robertson; the other belongs to
Mr. Haynes Challoner, also of Toronto, whose wife was another
grand-niece. Miss Harman's portrait is believed to be the one
which Robertson himself tells us was painted in 1821 by
Gilbert Stuart Newton.
A small water-colour dated 1859, showing the ferry house
at Hull, immediately opposite Ottawa, and embracing both the REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 31
Quebec and Ontario shores of the Ottawa River, was acquired.
The view includes one of the earliest pictures of Earnscliffe,
which later became the residence of Sir John A. Macdonald.
Two Whitefield lithographs were added to the collections:
one of Montreal, published in 1852, was a gift from the estate of
the late Professor A. V. Richardson, of Lennoxville; the other,
a view of Ottawa published in 1855, was acquired by purchase.
A lithograph in colour of the City of Saint John, New Brunswick,
about 1864, was presented by Mr. John North wood, of Ottawa.
Two etchings by Walter Raymond Duff, a Canadian etcher-
painter, were presented by Mr. B. A. McKendry, of Britannia
Heights, Ottawa.
From the Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, the Archives
received photographs of twenty-ni ne original water-colour
sketches by Cornelius Krieghoff. The originals are in a sketch
book recently acquired by the Museum.
The Division is indebted to two well-known Canadian
painters of historical subjects for reproductions of their pictures.
Professor Donald C McKay, of the Nova Scotia College of Art,
Halifax, furnished a copy of his painting "The Landing of
Jacques Cartier at Stadacona"; and Mr. J. D. Kelly, O.S.A.,
of Toronto, presented a copy of his canvas entitled "The First
Ship on Lake Erie". A copy of Mr. Kelly's painting of
"Bytown—1835" was presented by the Confederation Life
Association, which owns the original.
Several most useful and interesting collections of photographs were received during the year. Mr. Harold Daly, Q.C,
of Ottawa, who has spent many years gathering likenesses of
Sir John A. Macdonald, very generously donated the whole of
his collection to the Archives. It consists of nearly one hundred
portraits, including a number which are exceedingly rare.
Fittingly enough, the initial use made of the Daly Collection
was to furnish several illustrations for the first volume of the
definitive life of Macdonald upon which Professor D. G.
Creighton is now engaged.
A valuable photographic record of Ontario architecture of
historic interest, consisting of 185 photographs with accompanying negatives and analytical index cards, was received through
the good offices of Colonel C P. Meredith and Mr. R. N. Watt,
from the Forestry Branch of the Department~of Resources and
Development.    Later Colonel Meredith added another series of 32 PUBLIC ARCHIVES
photographs, taken approximately thirty years ago, depicting
various types of pioneer fences which were then standing,
chiefly in the counties of Carleton and Lanark, Ontario.
A fine collection of 240 photographs dating back to the
Klondyke Gold Rush was purchased and added to the Klondyke
items already in the Archives. The pictures are mainly of
scenes in and around Dawson City.
A very interesting series of several hundred photographs
recording the progress of survey parties pressing on through
difficulties and varied terrain preparatory to the development
of the Peace River District was received from the Department
of Mines and Technical Surveys. This record covers the years
1910 to 1913.
Some time ago the Archives entered into an arrangement
with Mr. J. W. Bald, of Midland, Ontario, whereby he would
furnish the Archives with prints from his large collection of
negatives of pictures of Great Lakes shipping. Many of these
date back as far as seventy years. The first hundred prints
have been received, and it is hoped that others will follow
shortly. Another useful collection of shipping pictures was
received from the Public Relations Department of the Canadian
Pacific Railway, which kindly presented photographs of about
40 of the Company's steamers, past and present.
About one hundred photographs were added to the
Division's collection of portraits of Senators and Members of
the House of Commons. The intention is to extend this
collection as opportunity offers until it includes a likeness of
every member of both Houses from Confederation to the
present time.
Three photographs taken in 1909 of the aeroplane Baddeck
No. 1 at Petawawa Military Camp, Ontario, were added to the
aeronautical collection. Two of these were acquired by purchase
and show (1) Baddeck No. 1 being serviced in preparation for
flight, and (2) the pilot and crew seated in front of the plane.at
its hanger. The Archives was so fortunate as to receive a third
photograph as a gift from Mr. Frank H. Ellis, of West Vancouver,
B.C. This shows the frail ship taking off. Other related
pictures were acquired through Mr. J. H. Parkin, of the National
Research Council, who made the originals available for copying.
The photographs include views of Dr. Alexander Graham Bell's
experimental kites, and of the early aeroplanes Red Wing, June
Bug and Silver Dart. REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 33
From Government House, through Major J. L. Malkin,
Comptroller of the Household, the Archives received autographed photographic portraits of Field Marshall the Rt. Hon.
the Viscount Alexander of Tunis, whose term as Governor
General was completed in 1952, and the Viscountess Alexander.
A portrait of Sir William Smith (1728-1793), Chief Justice
of Canada from 1786 to 1793, was made available for copying
by Mr. A. J. H. Richardson of the Map Division. This shows
Sir William in early manhood. A collection of thirty small but
excellent reproductions of portraits of Britons and Americans
of the Revolutionary period, all from original portraits by
Trumbull, Copley, Gilbert Stuart, etc., were also presented by
Mr. Richardson.
Other individual likenesses of special interest were a portrait
of the late Henri Bourassa, presented by Miss Anne Bourassa, of
Montreal; a reproduction in colour of a miniature of Lady
Aberdeen painted just before her marriage, the gift of Lady
Aberdeen's daughter, Marjorie, Lady Pentland; and two
photographs of Captain Arthur HowTard, given to the Archives
by his daughter, Mrs. F. J. Buller, of Vancouver.
MUSEUM
A dozen items of interest were added to the Museum in the
course of the year. One unusual gift was an elaborate set of
brass sleigh-bells which were presented many years ago by the
people of Montreal to Her late Royal Highness the Princess
Louise, and her husband. It will be remembered that the
Princess, a daughter of Queen Victoria, married the Marquis
of Lome and accompanied him to Canada when he served as
Governor General between 1878 and 1883. The set consists of
six large brass ornaments for harness bridles, with plumes and
bells, and an equal number of throat plumes and smaller bells.
A copy of a song written by Lady Dufferin, whose husband,
Lord Dufferin, was Governor General from 1872 to 1878, was
presented by the Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba, through
His Excellency the Governor General of Canada. The song,
entitled Katey's Letter, was published in Boston, and was once
sung by Madame Parepa Rose.
A number of items relating to Sir John A. Macdonald were
presented to the Museum by the British High Commissioner to
Canada. These had been gathered at Earnscliffe, wdiich was
formerly Sir John's home, and is now the official residence of PULIC ARCHIVES
the High Commissioner. Another Macdonald souvenir received
was a large armchair which was used at one time by Sir John in
his office in the Parliament Buildings.
The Department of the Secretary of State transferred to
the Public Archives the chisel which was used by the Rt. Hon.
Louis S. St. Laurent, Prime Minister of Canada, on April 1,
1949, to initiate the carving of the arms of Newfoundland at the
base of the Peace Tower, in Ottawa.
A maple-wood model of the Wolfe-Montcalm monument at
Quebec was received as a bequest from the late Mrs. Rachel
C. S. Beale, of Margate, England. Mrs. Beale's grandfather,
General J. R. Anderson, commanded the Royal Horse Artillery
in Toronto in 1870, and her great-grandfather, General W. C
Anderson, a veteran of Waterloo, was quartered for a time in
1829 at St. Helen's Island, near Montreal. The bequest was
made in memory of these Canadian associations of her family.
A fragment of wood from the house to which General
Montgomery was taken after he received fatal wounds in the
attack made by the American forces on Quebec City on New
Year's Eve, 1775, was included in a collection received from the
Library of Parliament.
A wooden potato pounder, believed to have been used in
the kitchen of Sir John Johnson (1742-1830), and later used in
the home of Mr. Isaac Johnson, was presented by Mr. and
Mrs. Johnson of Merrickville, Ontario. Sir John Johnson, son
of the celebrated Sir William Johnson, was for many years
Superintendent General and Inspector of Indian Affairs.
A beautifully executed miniature model of a Gatling gun,
finished in gold and silver plate, was presented by Mrs. F. J.
Buffer, of Vancouver. The model was originally presented to
Mrs. Buller's father, the late Captain A. L. Howard, who was
killed in the South African War.
From the Department of Public Works the Archives
received the handsome cypher of His late Majesty King George
VI which was used to surmount the wreath deposited in the
Parliament Buildings on the day of His Majesty's funeral,
February 15, 1952. The cypher was the work of the Royal
Canadian Mint.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation presented two
albums of recordings made during the visit to Canada of Their
Royal Highnesses the Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of
Edinburgh.    The first is a condensation of the commentaries in REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 35
English which were broadcast by the CB.C while the tour was
in progress. The second contains speeches made by the
Princess and by the Duke of Edinburgh, together with some
addresses presented to Their Royal Highnesses by various
Canadian officials and dignitaries.
Numismatics Section
The most notable event of the year was the transfer to the
Archives of the large collection of coins, medals, decorations and
paper money which has hitherto been housed in the Library of
Parliament. More than 1,700 items wTere received, and these
added very appreciably to the range and completeness of the
rapidly-growing collection in the Archives. The department's
holdings in the field of Canadian numismatics are now of real
significance and in view of the number of enquiries which are
received it is a great practical convenience to have a large
portion of the material in the possession of the Government
brought together in one place for ready reference.
A second important acquisition was a collection of 184 metal
Communion tokens formerly used in Presbyterian churches in
Canada. This collection is one of the most complete in the
country, and includes the oldest token used in Canada. This
was issued in Truro, Nova Scotia, and is dated 1772. It bears
the initials "D.C" which stand for Daniel Cock. Mr. Cock
first came to Nova Scotia in 1770. The next year he went back
to Scotland, and when he returned in 1772 he brought with him
a supply of Communion tokens which were used in his church.
From Monsignor Ferdinand Vandry, Rector of Laval
University, the Archives received the medal issued in 1952 to
commemorate the centenary of the University. The medal is
of bronze, and measures two and one-half inches in diameter.
The Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
kindly presented two unengraved samples of the R.C.M.P.
Long Service medals.
Mrs. H. R. Booth, of Ottawa, gave the Archives the Fenian
Raid Medal (1866) which had been awarded to her father, and
Miss Mary A. Blyth, also of Ottawa, presented a silver badge
given to her grandfather, John Blyth, Councillor of the City of
Ottawa, upon the occasion of the visit of the Prince of Wales
(later King Edward VII) in 1860.
From Mr. Marcel Roussin, of Ottawa, came two bills issued
in 1838 by Barthélemi Joliette, founder of the City of Joliette PUBLIC ARCHIVES
and seigneur of Laval trie. These are in a perfect state of
preservation and are for the amount of "Fifteen Pence" or
"Trente sous". They were issued at St. Paul de Lavaltrie.
Barthélemi Joliette, who was born in 1789 and died in 1850,
was a noted philanthropist of the time.
A five-dollar paper note issued by La Banque du Collège
Commercial Masson, at Terrebonne, Quebec, was presented by
Mrs. E. H. Russell, of Ottawa.
A Newfoundland twenty-five cent note, a good example of
the fractional currency issued there some years ago, was acquired
during the year.
LIBRARY
The general condition of the Library continues to improve,
although shortage of staff has been a great handicap. The
systematic effort which has been made to sort the contents of
the Library, and dispose of material which really has no place
on its shelves, is slowly producing results. Hundreds of
pamphlets have been bound, some very necessary binding
repairs have been attended to, and the appearance of the
collection does more justice to the great amount of extremely
valuable material which it contains.
Plans are afoot to reorganize the newspaper collection, in
conjunction with that in the Library of Parliament, and this
project should be carried through within the next year.
As the collection is a specialized one, the number of books
added in any one year is not great. Accessions totalled 637 in
1952. A number of interesting items were included. A fine
copy of the rare first edition of General Wolfe's Instructions to
Young Officers (London, 1768), was received. Some copies of
the old Quebec Magazine of 1793 were acquired. Other new
titles were Carpon's Voyage à terre-Neuve (Caen, 1852), and a
copy of the 1860 edition of Palliser's The Solitary Hunter; or,
Sporting Adventures in the Prairies. From Princeton University
Library the Archives secured a photostat copy of a A Lecture on
the Harper's Ferry Tragedy, by H. L. Gordon, a rare pamphlet
printed by John Lovell in Montreal in 1860. Through the
kindness of Mr. Fred G. Ketcheson, of Toronto, we were also able
to photostat a copy of the extremely rare Guide for Emigrants
from the British Shores to the Woods of Canada, published in 1834
by George Arundel Hill. REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 37
Enquiries kept the staff busy throughout the year. A list
of some of the topics dealt with will indicate the wide variety of
the work these enquiries involved. The following are typical:
Responsible government and the press; the Canadian essay—
a historical survey; the pre-Confederation civil service; the
controversies of Frontenac and Bishop Laval; Vermont in the
period 1760-1791; Louis Riel; Sir John Thompson; the
Rationalist movement of 1899-1911 ; early explorers of Northern
Ontario, and Upper Canada architecture, furniture and pottery.
PUBLICATIONS DIVISION
Five publications were issued by the Division during the
year. Two of these were the English and French editions of the
Report of the Public Archives for the year 1951. A third was the
French edition of the Index to the Confederation Debates of 1865,
compiled at McGill University by Murray A. Lapin, and edited
and revised by J. S. Patrick, of the Publications Division.
Two additional titles in the Preliminary Inventory series
were issued. The first numbers printed in this series were
inventories of official records of the Government of Canada,
which have been organized in Record Groups. Both the new
publications described Manuscript Groups consisting of transcripts, photostats and microfilm copies of papers in official
depositories in London and Paris. Fonds de manuscrits n° 1,
which is being issued in French only, is an inventory of material
in the Archives drawn from the Archives des Colonies, in the
Archives Nationales, Paris. Manuscript Group 11 consists of
copies of Colonial Office Papers in the Public Record Office in
London. It is being issued in English only. Both groups
contain a great many documents which are of prime importance
to students of Canadian history, and these convenient guides
to the copies available in Ottawa will be of great assistance to
many people.
Particulars of the series to date are as follows:—
Published  in   1951:
Record Group 10: Indian Affairs. '
Record Group 11: Department of Public Works, y
Record Group 12: Department of Transport. V /
3S PUBLIC ARCHIVES
Published in 1952:
Fonds des manuscrits n° 1: Archives Nationales, Paris:
Archives des Colonies.   /
Manuscript Group 11: Public Record Office: Colonial
Office Papers.   /
In preparation:
Record Group 1: Executive Council.
Record Group 7: Governor General's Office. /
Record Group 19: Department of Finance. /
, Fonds des manuscrits n° 2: Archives de la Marine^
Fonds   des   manuscrits   n°   3:   Archives   Nationales, i
Fonds des manuscrits n° 4: Archives de la Guerre. /
Manuscript  Group  19: Fur   Trade,   Exploration  and
Indians, 1763-1867. \
All the titles listed as "in preparation" should be in print
by the end of 1953.
LAURIER HOUSE
The Laurier House Act (Statutes of Canada, 1951, Chap. 19)
placed Laurier House, formerly the residence of Sir Wilfrid
Laurier and later for many years the home of the Rt. Hon.
W. L. Mackenzie King, under the control of the Dominion
Archivist.
The building has been open to the public as a museum since
August 1, 1951. Although some rearrangement of the rooms
and their contents was essential in the interests of safety, an
effort has been made to disturb the interior as little as possible.
The four most interesting rooms in the house—the drawing
room, the dining room, the second-floor bedroom used by both
Sir Wilfrid Laurier and Mr. King, and the third-floor study
which Mr. King himself added and used daily—are virtually
unchanged.
No actual count of visitors is kept, but at least 26,000
persons visited Laurier House during the first year it was open
to the public. Interest in the building has been well maintained,
and this total will probably vary relatively little from year
to year.
Laurier House is open on weekdays, except Monday, from
10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and on Sundays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. REPORT FOR THE YEAR 1952 39
OTHER SERVICES
The Research Division dealt with 1,698 enquiries during
the year. Genealogical questions were again the most numerous
category. In view of the large amount of research that must
be done in the field of genealogy, steps are being taken to
compile various guides and check lists which will be of assistance
in this work. The first project to be undertaken will be a check
list of genealogical references and material relating to local
history in the Province of Ontario. About 3,000 items had been
listed by the end of the year.
In the bindery 1,056 volumes were bound in 1952, 421 maps
were mounted, and 3,380 pages of manuscript laminated or
otherwise repaired. Nearly 600 volumes were in hand for
binding at the end of the year.
The Photographic Section had an exceptionally busy year,
especially in the field of microfilming. An assistant will soon
be added to the staff. At present the photographers themselves have to interrupt their work to do many routine jobs.
The aid of a helper should substantially increase the output of
this Section.
All of which is respectfully submitted.
Wm. Kaye Lamb,
Dominion Archivist. 

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
https://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.bcbooks.1-0314552/manifest

Comment

Related Items