UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Reports Nov 30, 1960

Item Metadata

Download

Media
ubcreports-1.0118637.pdf
Metadata
JSON: ubcreports-1.0118637.json
JSON-LD: ubcreports-1.0118637-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): ubcreports-1.0118637-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: ubcreports-1.0118637-rdf.json
Turtle: ubcreports-1.0118637-turtle.txt
N-Triples: ubcreports-1.0118637-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: ubcreports-1.0118637-source.json
Full Text
ubcreports-1.0118637-fulltext.txt
Citation
ubcreports-1.0118637.ris

Full Text

 SOD-TURNING ceremony for the new education building, shown in artist's sketch above, was
carried out October 27 following congregation by
the Honourable Leslie Peterson, minister for
education in the provincial government. The
Honourable W. N. Chant, minister for public
works,  the department which has planned the
building, said the cost of the structure would be
between $3 and $3.5 million. Construction of
the central unit containing general purpose classrooms will begin shortly and will be completed
in time for the opening of the fall term next year.
Structure with curved roof at left is a small
gymnasium.   Next is an office block and at far
right is a second classroom block containing
classrooms for specialized teaching. The entire
building, which will be built on the Aggie playing field at the corner of the main mall and
University boulevard, will be finished in September, 1962. A total of 2190 students are enrolled in education for the current session.
OPEN HOUSE MARCH 3
PROF. F. A. FORWARD
. . . John   Scott  Award
Forward
Gets Award
For Process
A UBC professor has received one of the most coveted awards offered in the
world of science.
Professor F. A. Forward, head
of the department of mining and
metallurgy, received a $1000 John
Scctt award in Philadelphia October 18 in recognition of his discovery of a new process for extracting nickel and other metals
from   ores.
The last time such an award
was made to a Canadian was in
1924 when it went to Dr. Frederick Banting, the discoverer of
insulin.
Other famous scientists who
have been awarded the prize are
Marie Curie, the discoverer of
radium; Orville Wright, developer
of the airplane and Guglielmo
Marconi, inventor of the wireless
telegraph.
The award was established in
1816 with a gift of $4000 left in
trust to the city of Philadelphia
by John Scott, a chemist of Edinburgh, Scotland. The fund has
now grown  to $110,000.
Continued on  page three
See   JOHN   SCOTT   AWARD
    D  #■     DrDADTC
AND 4
Meekison
Volume 6, No. 6
November-December, 1960
FOUR BUILDINGS OPENED
New Library Wing Named
for Walter C. Koerner
The new wing to the University
library has been named for
Walter C. Koerner who contributed a quarter of the cost of $1,-
710,458  addition.
Announcement that Mr. Koerner's name was to be associated
with the new wing was made by
President N. A. M. MacKenzie
when he spoke at the official
opening ceremonies October 27
following congregation.
The new wing, which contains a
college library for first and second year students and space for
the newly-created division of
special collections, was pronounced officially open when the
key to the building was passed
to t he chancellor, Dr. A. E.
Grauer, and UBC's librarian Neal
Harlow.
The special speaker of the
evening, Dr. Louis B. Wright, announced in the course of his address that UBC was to be the
repository    for    the    first    four
Certificate Course
Begins in
Communications
A two-year certificate course in
communications began at UBC
during October under the sponsorship of the extension department and the B.C. Association of
Broadcasters.
Two main courses, "Introduction to broadcasting" and "Communications and mass media" are
offered during the first year program which runs 18 weeks. Advanced courses in the same subjects will make up the second
year program.
Shakespeare folios ever printed.
(See story on page three).
Dr. Wright, who is director of
the Folger Shakespeare Library
in Washington, D.C, was one of
two leading librarians who received honorary degrees at fall
congregation. The other was Sir
Frank Francis, director and principal librarian at the British
Museum in London, England.
• •     •
On October 28 the Honourable
Ray Williston, minister of lands
and forests in the provincial government, declared the new wing
to the biological sciences building officially open.
The ncv v/'ng has been named
for Prof. C. McLean Fraser, first
head of the department of zoology, who came to UBC in 1920
and retired in 1940, six years
prior to his death.
The original biological sciences
building has been renamed the
Andrew Hutchinson unit for Prof.
Hutchinson who was head of the
department of biology from 1922
to 1939 and head of the combined
department of biology and botany
until his retirement in 1954.
Prof. Hutchinson is still active
in the department in the research
field of forest genetics. He first
came to UBC in 1917 as an assistant professor in biology.
• •     •
The Honourable Howard Green,
minister for external affairs in
the federal government, officially
opened the new Canada department of agriculture research
station at UBC on October 28.
The new building, located on
Marine drive beside two other
federal government research sta
tions,    will   concentrate    on   research dealing with plant viruses.
Mr. Green received the honorary degree of doctor of laws at
UBC's fall congregation the previous day.
•     •     *
On September 30 the University held a ceremony to open the
fourth men's residence in the new
Marine Drive development. The
residence has been named for
Chief Justice Sherwood Lett of
B.C.'s   Supreme  Court.
The name of the residence was
chosen by the students' council.
Students have contributed more
than $160,000 to the UBC Development Fund earmarked for residences.
Mr. Lett was one of the earliest
graduates of UBC and the first to
be elected chancellor of the University in 1951. Mr. Lett and his
wife, the former Evelyn Story,
were on the committee which
drafted the first constitution of
the  Alma Mater Society.
Heads
Committee
A joint faculty-student committee has begun planning
for Open House—1961, to be
held on March 3 and 4 next
year.
Theme of the event, which is
held once every three years, will
be the contribution which the
University is making to the
growth and development of the
province of British Columbia.
The joint committee planning
the event is headed by Peter
Meekison, a former president of
the Alma Mater Society.
Centrepiece of the event will
be the new mural on Brock Hall
extension which was commissioned by the graduating class
of 1958. The mural was executed
by Patricia and Lionel Thomas,
two of Canada's leading artists.
Mr. Thomas, who is a member
of the teaching staff of the school
of architecture, has given permission for the various symbols used
in the mural to be duplicated and
used as signs to guide visitors to
various buildings. (See picture
on page 4).
Every faculty, school and department of the University will
put up a display and all buildings
on the campus will be open to
the public during the two-day
event.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO FUND
FOR SCHOLARSHIP GROW
Many former students and friends of the University
have asked how contributions may be made to the
memorial scholarship set up to honour the late Thorleif
Larsen, the distinguished professor of English who died
last year.
Cheques may be sent to Miss Margaret Lalonde, assistant accountant, UBC, made out to the Thorleif Larsen
Scholarship Fund.
The award will be made to a leading student in
English from the second year who is going on to specialized studies in English.
It is hoped that enough money will be raised to
endow a permanent and living memorial to this distinguished scholar and teacher. U.B.C. REPORTS
November-December, 1960
U.B.C. REPORTS
VOLUME 6, No. 6 NOVEMBER-DECEMBER, 1960 VANCOUVER 8, B.C.
JAMES A. BANHAM, editor LAREE  SPRAY   HEIDE,  assistant
UNIVERSITY   INFORMATION   OFFICE
Authorized as second class mail, Post Office Department, Ottawa. Published by the University of
British  Columbia  and   distributed  free  of  charge to friends and graduates of the University. Permission   is   granted   for   the   material   appearing herein to be reprinted freely.
CHANCELLOR'S REMARKS
The Changing University
(What follows are excerpts from the remarks
of the chancellor, Dr. A. II. C'lau-'i. to the students who graduated at UBC's fall congregation
on October 27,  I960).
. . . Everywhere today, the universities
are faced with a problem of adapting their
academic and administrative structure to
meet the requirements of the rapidly evolving countries that make up our fast-changing world society. Many of the traditional
attitudes towards higher education are
undergoing serious critical examination, not
only by those who are.directly responsible
for education and administration at the university, but also by the public at large which
sustains and supports the university. And
in this connection, we can never forget the
magnificent support that the people of this
province have given to their university.
Until comparatively recent times, Oxford
and Cambridge were regarded as the classical models to be imitated and emulated,
and even today many in Britain and elsewhere in Europe look with distrust on some
of the developments which are taking place
in North American education. The great
English universities of the 19th century
sought to provide a program of studies
which was particularly suited to the training of a select group of young men (and
an even smaller number of women) for
whom a liberal education was an end in
itself and preparation for a career befitting
a gentleman. But even these institutions
have not stood still and have long given
place in their academic program to subjects
other than the mediaeval trivium and quad-
rivium. They have always recognized the
need for professional schools providing advanced training in theology, medicine, and
law (and more recently in such fields as
estate management).
During the first half of the twentieth
century, there have been far reaching
changes in the structure of society, and
young men and women from all social levels,
who have the capacity to profit by higher
education, are now seeking the benefits and
opportunities for service which such education brings.
This dramatic social change has coincided with the most fruitful period of scientific and technological advance in the history
of the world. The process has been accelerated by two world wars in which survival
depended upon the development of ingenious weapons of war and the marshalling of
every possible resource.
This development coincided, too, with a
population explosion, and in the western
world with the emergence of the affluent
society. This means that most of the young
people, once forced through economic necessity to abandon their formal education at
an early age, can now afford, often with the
aid of our expanding scholarship, bursary
and loan system, to devote from four to
seven years of their lives to higher study.
It means, too, that governments with increasing sources of revenue and with quickening awareness of the need for trained
people in a wide variety of fields, have been
able and willing, within limits, to begin
providing the facilities and accommodation
that we, on behalf of these young people,
are claiming.
Since the Second World War the extent
to which the Soviet Union has used higher
education as a means of building a modern
society and as an instrument in the waging
of the cold war has become apparent. A
physics laboratory is a better strategic asset
than a battleship, and the shock troops are
no longer the soldier armed with a rifle but
the scientist in his laboratory and the technician in his factory. The newly independent countries, confronted with many of the
same problems that faced the Soviet Union
in 1917 or China in 1950, look with envy
at the miracles of transformation that have
been accomplished. A modern state cannot
be built without a sound educational foundation; and modern struggle, especially in
developing countries, will be won not so
much on the playing fields of public schools
as in the lecture rooms of universities.
Universities, like other social and biological organisms, are subject to the laws of
change. They must adapt themselves or
decay. There is an ever present risk of a
university becoming archaic unless it is
prepared to relate its teaching, indeed, its
whole philosophy of education, to the
proper aspirations and needs of the society
which it both leads and at the same time
serves.
This university, then, is not what it was
twenty years ago, nor should it be. It is
true that the principles of experiment in
science and experience in the humanities
remain constant: nevertheless, the application of these principles has become so complex and intricate that it perhaps can no
longer be left to agencies outside the university.
Might I cite one example of a modern
marvel: the electronic computer, which has
become a most valuable aid, both to the
pure scientist and the social scientist, reducing as it does long and hard calculations
by hand to a rapid and certain mechanical
process. The principles behind the electronic computer are the work of the mathematician, the physicist, the electrical engineer, but, in this case, it is not an easy
step from the principle to the application.
Indeed, the complex process of manufacturing the instrument requires the services not
simply of technicians or mechanics, but of
persons highly trained and specialized in
their own right. .   ,
Finally, the most advanced and intricate
machine of itself is useless because the
machine, however complex, can not think.
Its capacities are limited to the talents of
those who ask the right questions of it. It
is evident that each of these steps requires
the services of intelligent and creative
minds, and the training of these minds is
the just and proper function of a modern
university.
I have chosen an example from the field
of electronics; I could mention many more
drawn from other areas of endeavour represented by our "new faculties." And, so, I
must agree with our critics who say the face
of the University is changed; but I am
proud of the fact. I am glad to be Chancellor of a vital and responsive institution.
In 1944 we had three faculties and one
professional school, now we have ten faculties and five professional schools. In 1944
we had 2,430 students, today there are
11,650. ...
Frequently I am told that this or that
professional interest has no place in a university curriculum, and I suspect the unprofitable debates on the humanities versus
the sciences may be replaced by equally unprofitable debates on a professional or
specialized education versus a liberal education. . . .
Where there is a discipline which has
both a core of knowledge worth studying
for its own sake and a practical application
leading to the social, physical, and spiritual
betterment of man, it has a proper place in
a university, and it seems doubtful that
specialized and liberal educations must be
antithetic.
There is some truth in Andre Maurois'
sweeping statement, "It is easier to produce
ten columes of philosophical writing than
to put one principle into practice."
If the university repudiates the call to
train the specialist and the professional, it
will not survive. If "it repudiates the cultivation of non-practical values it will cease
to merit the title of university. Its task
today is to serve the real needs of the community in which it is set, while always
preserving the traditions of objectivity and
"the habitual vision of greatness," which are
in themselves the greatest gift that any university can give to the society which surrounds it.
FACULTY ACTIVITIES
President in East for
Meetings and Speeches
PRESIDENT N. A. M. MACKENZIE was in the eastern United States and Canada from November 14 to 24 for
meetings of three organizations.
In New York from Nov. 14 to 20 he attended meetings of the
Carnegie Endowment for the Advancement of Teaching and the
Teacher's Insurance and Annuity Association. On Nov. 18 he addressed the Canadian Society of New York.
In Ottawa from Nov. 20 to 24 the president attended meetings
of the Canada Council and spoke to the librarian's group of the
Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada. He also met
with UBC graduates living in Ottawa.
• • •
DEAN GEORGE S. ALLEN, DR. HARRY SMITH and IAN C.
McQUEEN of the faculty of forestry attended the annual meeting
of the Canadian Institute of Forestry held at Laval University,
Quebec City, P.Q., in October.
• • •
DEAN BLYTHE A. EAGLES, head of the faculty of agriculture,
was presented with a fellowship in the Agricultural Institute of
Canada during the annual meeting in Vancouver of the Canadian
deans of agriculture.
• * •
DEAN NEVILLE SCARFE, head of the faculty and college of
education, was elected a director at the recent annual meeting of
the  Canadian  Education  Association  in Toronto.
• * •
DR. W. J. STANKIEWICZ. assistant professor of political
science, has been elected a member of the executive council of the
Canadian Political Science Association.
• • •
DR. G. G. S. DUTTON, associate professor of chemistry, attended
a summer symposium at Edinburgh University on a National Research Council grant. He also attended the Centre de la Recherche
Scientifique in Paris.
• • •
SAM BLACK, associate professor of education, recently attended
the third General Assembly of the International Society for Education through Art, sponsored by UNESCO, held in Manila, P.I. He
also visited Japan where lectures and seminars were conducted with
Japanese art educators.
• • •
MISS MOLLIE E. COTTINGHAM, associate professor of education, has been appointed Western Canada representative to the
Canadian College of Teachers executive council.
• • •
NEAL HARLOW, chief librarian, and president of the Canadian
Library Association, addressed the sixth annual conference of the
Manitoba Library Association.
• • •
DR. L. D. HAYWARD, associate professor of chemistry, was
among speakers at the symposium held recently by the organic
chemistry division of the Chemical Institute of Canada at the University of Alberta.
Variety of Lectures
Being Held on Campus
Lectures to suit all tastes are being held on the University campus by the Vancouver Institute and the Vancouver
branch of the Humanities Association of Canada.
The Vancouver Institute, which has been holding lectures at UBC since 1916, meets every Saturday night at
8:15 p.m. in room 106 of the Buchanan building. The Humanities Association meets on the second Tuesday of every
month at 8 p.m. in International House.
Remaining Humanities Associa-4>-i ■	
February   4
tion lectures are as follows:
December   13:   Dr.   William   C.
Gibson, "Medical contributions to
literature and music."
January    10:    Peter    Remnant,
"Karl Marx: the logic of Utopia."
Dean J. F. McCreary, faculty of medicine, UBC,
"Medical care — which way are
we  going?"
February 11: Dr. George Davidson,   deputy   minister   of   citizen-
February 14: Dr. W. Opechow- j ship and immigration, Ottawa,
ski, "A scientist's mood." I "The true cost of welfare."
March 14: Dr. Brock Chisholm,! February 18: The Hon. Howard
"The expanding concept of Green, minister for external af-
health."
April 11: George Woodcock,
"The libertarians: heretics or
rebels?"
Remaining Vancouver Institute
lectures are:
December 10: Dr. Ian McT.-
Cowan, "Of mice and men—the
biology of numbers."
January 7: Dean F. H. Soward,
"The international outlook."
January 14: Dr. Murray G. Ross,
president, York University, Toronto, "Are universities getting
too big?"
January 21: Dr. H. L. Keenley-
side, "Black and white and the
Commonwealth."
January 28: G. O. B. Davies,
"Should the Commonwealth survive?"
fairs, "Canada's foreign policy."
February 25: Dr. C. A. McDowell, department of chemistry,
UBC, "Chemistry and yoiu' future."
March 4: Hon. E. Davie Fulton,
minister of justice, Ottawa, "Canada's addiction problem."
March 11: James M. Minifee,
author and journalist, Washington, D.C, "Canada — peacemaker
or  powdermonkey?"
March 18: Dr. W. C. Gibson,
professor of the history of medicine and science, UBC, "The
genesis of new ideas in medicine."
March 25: Dr. John Youn?, department of economics and political science, UBC, "Canada's
trade and your prosperity." November-December, 1960
U3.C REPORTS
VICTORIA
Student
Union
Planned
A $350,000 students' union
building and cafeteria will be
ready for Victoria College
students registering next September.
The College's development
board has announced that an
early start will be made on the
new building and construction
should be finished for the fall
term.
Donations to the building fund
continue to come in and officials
are confident that the objective
of $2,000,000 will be reached by
the end of December.
Opening of the new classroom-
office building has been set for
some time in January. Plans for
a new science building are well
advanced and construction should
commence in the spring of next
year.
* •      •
More than 700 people attended
Victoria College's annual assembly and prize giving ceremony in the auditorium - gymnasium at the Gordon Head campus on October 19.
Reports on College expansion
were given by His Honour Judge
J. B. Clearihue, chairman of the
Victoria College Council, and acting principal R. T.  Wallace.
Guest speaker at the assembly
was former UBC librarian Dr. W.
Kaye Lamb, who is now dominion
archivist and national librarian.
UBC's present librarian, Neal
Harlow, represented President N.
A. M. MacKenzie at the event.
• •       •
The death of assistant professor Edward Jack Savannah on
October 25 came as a great shock
to faculty and students at Victoria College. Mr. Savannah had
the longest period of continuous
service of anyone on the faculty
and had instructed chemistry for
more than 30 years.
Foundation Gives
$11,000 in Grants
To University
Grants totalling $11,000 were
received during November by
UBC from the Leon and Thea
Koerner Foundation which was
established in 1956 with a gift of
$1,000,000 from Dr. Koerner and
the  late  Mrs. Koerner.
Grants were as follows:
1. Department of Asian studies,
Chinese division, $1,000 to acquire
Chinese  books.
2. Department of Asian studies,
Japanese division. $1,000 to acquire Japanese books.
3. Institute of Social and Economic Research, $2,500 to support
the continuing work of the Institute.
4. Department of anthropology,
$2,000 to bring two visiting professors   to   UBC.
5. Fund for grants to individuals, $3,000 for assistance to individual applicants for further
study.
6. Anthropology museum, $1,500
to acquire museum materials
from the Orient.
Two other grants totalling $5,500
were made to the National Theatre School of Canada and the
B.C. Medical Research Foundation.
During 1960 the Foundation
made a total of 56 grants totalling
$86,835. Grants totalled $86,270 in
1959, $78,200 in 1958, $69,322 in
1957 and $69,500 in 1956.
NEWEST GIFT to UBC library's division of special collections, headed by Basil Stuart-Stubbs, right, is Shakespeare's
first folio, printed in 1623. First folio, with three subsequent
folios, was presented to UBC by Dr. Louis B. Wright, director of the Folger Shakespeare Library when he spoke
at the opening of the Walter C. Koerner wing October 27.
UBC's librarian Neal Harlow holds the precious book.
Folger Library Places
Folios at University
The first collected edition of Shakespeare's plays printed
in 1623 was presented to the University library when the
Walter C. Koerner wi«g of the new building was opened
October 27. • ; —- :	
speaking  people, will  be placed
The edition, known as the First
Folio, is on permanent loan to
UBC from the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington,
D.C. Three other folios printed
in 1632, 1663 and 1685, were presented at the same time.
Dr. Louis B. Wright, director
of the Folger Library, presented
the four folios in the course of
his speech to mark the opening
of the library wing.
Scholars believe that 1000 copies of the first folio were originally printed. About 200 of these
are believed to survive and when
sold commercially have brought
prices up to $100,000.
The first folio, often described
as the greatest book in the cultural    history    of    the    English-
Cliff Robinson
Travels for UBC
For the second consecutive year
a lecture-demonstration art series
sponsored by the UBC extension
department is available to interested  groups in the province.
Workshops in either water
colours or oils are being conducted by B.C. artist Cliff Robinson upon request from community  organizations.
Last years' travelling painter
was Vancouver artist Molly Bo-
back.
Three-day workshops consist of
two-hour classes twice a day.
Plans are to continue the series
in January and February next
year. Interested organizations can
obtain details from the extension
department.
in the division of special collections in the new wing of the
library.
UBC's librarian Neal Harlow
said the 1623 first folio was the
first collected edition of Shakespeare's plays. "Some had been
previously published separately
but the folio is the only source
for at least 17 of the plays and
the best authority for the others,"
he  said.
Most of Shakespeare would
have been lost to posterity if it
had not been for the first folio.
The four folios were described
by Mr. Harlow as "the cornerstone and prize of any collection
of English literature."
The Folger Shakespeare Library was founded by Henry Clay
Folger, a former president of the
Standard Oil Company of New
York. When he died in 1930 his
Library already contained the
world's leading collection of
books on Shakespeare including
79 first folios.
The Library is housed in a
building opened in 1932. Since
that time it has increased its collection and attracts scholars from
all over the world. The Library
is administered by the trustees
of Amherst College.
Mr. Harlow said the Folger
Library had decided to place the
four folios on permanent loan
because of its interest in the diffusion of humanistic learning and
its desire to place a few of its
most significant duplicate volumes where they will serve as a
symbol of the Folger Library's
concern for learning in the English-speaking world.
UBC Winter Enrolment
Reaches Record 11,657
Enrolment at the University of British Columbia has
increased more than 11 per cent to a record total of 11,657
students. ^
UBC officials had predicted an
increase of between six and seven
per cent which would have meant
an enrolment of 11,300 for the
1960-61  session.
The largest increase was in the
faculty of arts and science where
a total of 5837 students registered
—an increase of 665 over last
year.
The faculty of education showed an increase of 371 students
with a total registration of 2190.
Only other faculty which showed
a substantial increase was graduate studies which has 707 students as compared to 616 last
year.
Registration in other faculties
is as follows with 1959-60 figures
in brackets: agriculture 179 (171);
applied science, 1339 (1351); forestry, 183 (188); law 235 (245);
pharmacy, 153 (142); medicine,
203  (212); commerce 631 (654).
A total of 8253 men and 3404
women are registered making the
ratio between the two groups almost exactly three to one.
• •     •
At Victoria College registration
has increased 33.2 per cent to a
total of 1413 students. The College now offers fourth year work
in arts and science and education
and will award their first degrees
in May next year.
Registration figures are as follows: arts and science, 816: commerce and business administration, 21, and education, 576.
• *     *
The   director   of   the   summer
session, Dr. Kenneth Argue, reported to the last meeting of the
University senate that enrolment
exceeded 5000 students in 1960.
Included in the total of 5333
are 1027 students registered for
non-credit and short courses. Dr.
Argue said. The number registered for credit courses-^1306—
was an increase of 552 students
over 1959.
The bulk of the students enrolled for credit courses were
school teachers, he said. They
comprised more than 71 per cent   eign  students  will  not live  with
JOHN HAAR
. . . new post
Graduate
Gets New
UBC Post
John Haar, a UBC graduate
and one time president of
students' council, has been
named director of student
activities and of International
House, President N. A. M.
MacKenzie has announced.
Mr. Haar was director of province-wide services for the UBC
extension department prior to
taking up  his new appointment.
Two new programs will be introduced at International House
for foreign students, Mr. Haar
said. The first is a series of orientation lectures on such topics
as Canadian government and geography to help incoming students
know more about Canada.
The second program will be
called "Friends for a year," Mr.
Haar said, and will endeavour to
put foreign students in contact
with a Canadian family. The for-
of the student body.
Music School
Appeals for
Instruments
The new school of music
has appealed to graduates
and friends of the University
for donations of musical instruments—especially pianos
—to aid their teaching program.
At least 12 pianos are urgently needed by the school
which began offering the
bachelor of music degree last
year.
A huge, black concert grand
once played by the late Polish
pianist Paderewski was recently donated to the school
by the citizens of Walhachin,
a village of 12 families near
Kamloops.
The gift was accepted on
the understanding that UBC
would supply an upright to
replace the showpiece which
has been played at dances
and concerts in Walhachin
for the last 50 years.
So far the school of music
has been unable to acquire
another instrument as a replacement.
the family but it is hoped that
Canadians will entertain the newcomers, take them sightseeing
and permit them to see how Canadians live, Mr. Haar said.
As director of student activi-
tes, Mr. Haar will develop a program of athletic, cultural and
social activities among the 1600
students in residence at UBC.
The first step in this program,
Mr. Haar said, will be establishment of a residence coordinating
council, to schedule events and
promote activities in residence
camps.
JOHN  SCOTT AWARD
Continued  from   page   one
The invention for which Prof.
Forward received the award is a
leaching process involving the
use of ammonia and water under
pressure. The process is not only
less costly to operate but requires
a substantially lower investment
than other processes.
The process, which was discovered eight years ago and is
now in use in the Sherritt Gordon
mines in Manitoba, has substantially added to the world's supply
of  nickel.
Prof. Forward was honoured in
1959 by the American magazine
Mining World for the most outstanding technical achievement of
that year. The invention was a
leaching process for extraction
of  zinc. U.B.C. REPORTS
November-December, 1960
Search Continues for
Forgetful Graduates
The graduates whose names appear below have neglected
to inform the University of changes of address.
If you  know  the  whereabouts^
of any of them fill in the coupon |
LIVELY NEW MURAL depicting the disciplines taught at UBC now adorns a courtyard wall of the new extension to Brock Hall. Mural was commissioned by the 1958
graduating class and executed by Patricia and Lionel Thomas, two of Canada's leading
artists. Mr. Thomas teaches in the school of architecture. Bright colours are used in the
mural which has been executed in Byzantine mosaic — opaque pieces of coloured glass
inlaid in cement.   Mural will be used as a centerpiece for 1961 Open House in March.
UBC AUTHORIZED TO BORROW
Bids Tendered for Two
New Women's Residences
Tenders have been called by
the University for construction of
two new residences for women to
cost  about  $850,000.
The residences, which will accommodate 168 women, will be
constructed to the north of the
common block in the new residence development on Marine
drive. Four residences for men
are now in operation on the south
side of the common block which
provides dining and recreational
facilities for students hi residence.
The University has been authorized by a provincial cabinet
order-in-council to borrow the
funds for construction of the residences. The loan will be repaid
out of accrued revenue. This is
the first time that UBC has financed residence construction in
this way.
*     *     *
Construction is expected to
start shortly on a new building
for the faculty of education on
the corner of University boulevard and the main mall.
The first unit of the building,
a general purpose classroom
block, will be finished in time
for the opening of the winter
session in 1961. The entire-building will be complete in September.  1962.
The structure will be.made up
of four connected units: a small
gymnasium, a faculty office unit,
and two classroom blocks for
general and specialized teaching.
Prince George Courses
Attract 75 Students
A total of 75 persons are registered for the three English
courses which are being offered on an experimental, one-year
basis in Prince George during the 1960-61 winter session.
The faculty of arts and the Uni-«	
versity senate approved a request
that a University lecturer should
be in residence at the iuterior
city for a year. The courses being offered are English 200. literature and composition: English
3C9, composition, and English
439. modern English and its background.
R. J. Baker, an assistant professor in the department of English.
is in residence giving the courses
in Prince George high school.
Students   will   be    required    to
write the same exams at the same
time as students in full time attendance at UBC.
Three hours of lectures per
week are given on Saturday
mornings and ou weekday evenings. The Prince George school
board, which requested the University to begin the scheme, is
underwriting the cost of the experiment.
Enrolment    in   the   individual
courses   is   as   follows:   English I
200-44: 300—20;  and 439—11.        I
Total cost of the building will
be between $3 and $3.5 million.
•     •     •
Construction is continuing on
four other buildings for the faculty of medicine and graduate
students.
The graduate student center,
being built opposite International
House, will be named Thea Koerner House. It will be a memorial
to the wife of Dr. Leon Koerner
who donated $400,000 for construction of the building.
The building will serve as a
meeting and recreational center
for the more than 700 students
emoiled in the faculty of graduate studies.
Under construction on University boulevard opposite the War
Memorial Gymnasium are three
new buildings for the faculty of
medicine.
The three buildings, which will
cost about $3,000,000, will house
research facilities, teaching facilities for preclinical students, and
a cancer research center.
1200 Parents See
University Campus
More than 1200 parents of freshman students were the guests of
the University October 22 for a
day of campus tours and speeches
by UBC officials, including the
president. Dr. N. A. M. McKenzie.
The second annual Parent's
Day began at 9:30 a.m. with
speeches by UBC officials followed by tours and lunch in
Brock Hall. Many parents stayed
on the campus in the afternoon
to see the football game or explore  further on  their own.
Foundation
Grant Helps
Retarded
The Williamson Foundation
of Vancouver has made a
grant to the University of
British Columbia for expansion of work in special education for retarded children,
President N. A. M. MacKenzie has announced.
The president also announced
the appointment of Dr. John D.
McGann as an assistant professor in the department of special
education in UBC's faculty of
education and as consultant to
the Association for Retarded
Children in B.C.
As a member of the University
faculty Dr. McGann will assist
in the development of summer
courses and workshops for teachers and parents of retarded children and will lecture to students
in education, medicine, psychology and social work during the
winter session.
As consultant to the Association for Retarded Children he
will visit the Association's 50
chapters throughout B.C. and
work with local organizations for
the development of services to
retarded children.
The Williamson Foundation,
which is part of the Vancouver
Foundation, was established by
Alan H. Williamson of Vancouver with a gift of $300,000 for the
assistance of retarded or- emotionally disturbed persons under.
the age of 21.
UBC's department of special
education, headed by Prof. J. A.
Richardson, was established in
1958 with a grant from the B.C.
Foundation for Child Care, Poliomyelitis and Rehabilitation.
Dr. McGann comes to UBC
from Montana where he was an
assistant professor in the special
education department of the University of Montana and educational director and coordinator
for the Montana Center for Cerebral Palsy and Handicapped Children.
He is a graduate of the University of Connecticut where he received the degrees of bachelor
and  master   of   arts.     He   was
at the bottom of this page and
return it to the Information Office, UBC, Vancouver 8, B.C.
Flora M. Swan, BA '40; Joseph
Bazil Swistoon, BCom '47; Yukio
Takahashi, BA '38; Albert S.
Takimoto, BA '38; Kimiko Taki-
moto, BA '42.
Albert Peter Tambellini, BA
'39, BCom '46; Miyoko Tamura,
BA '29; Morikiyo Tamura, BASc
'26; Luke Y. Tanabe, BCom '41;
Fujikazu Tanaka, BA '36; Lome
Howard Tansley, BASc '35; Wm.
J. M. Tater, BSA '46; David H.
Taylor, BASc '46; Elsie Gertrude
Taylor, BA '25.
Grace Eileen Taylor, BA '28;
Hugh Taylor, BA '48; Mrs. Marguerite A. Taylor, BA '48, BSW
'49; William S. Thackray, BSA
'50; Aubrey L. Thomas, BA '45
Blodwen Thomas, BA '46, MA '48
John Alex. Thomas, BA '48
James Vernon Thompson, BASc
'43; Lloyd B. Thompson, BA '33
Margaret Kathryn Thompson, BA
'40; James Wm. Thomson, BA
'39, BCom '39; Jean Irene Thomson, BA '41; Jean Shirley Thomson, LLB '51.
Margaret A. Thomson, BA '49,
BSW '50; Marguerite B. Thomson, BA '48; Mary Isabel Thomson, BA '36; Robert McD. Thomson, BA '36; Wm. C. Thorburn,
BA '50; Elsie Marion Tighe, BA
'32; Bernard Tobin, BA '30; Victor David Toews, BA '51; David
B. Tonks, BA '41.
William Torok, BASc '51; Phyllis Toshaoh, BA '39: Gordon Tow-
ell, BASc '49; Phyllis Helen Traf-
ford, BA '38; Kenneth George
Travis, BA '51; Peter Thomas
Trim, BPE '49; George Trows-
dale, BASc '50; Elbe Tsai, MA '49.
Hans Joachim Tscharke, BSA
'49; Shang-Jen Tsou, MASc '48;
Godfred W. Tukham, BASc '47;
David R. H. Turner, BSA '49; Mrs.
John M. Turner (Grace E. C. Hig-
ham) BA '33; Esme J. Tweedale,
BA '35; Mrs. Ritsuko R. Uchi-
yama, BA '34.
John Seton Usborne, BA '47,
BCom '47; Mrs. Glen Vallance
(Lillian R. Walker) BA '36; Guna
Valters, BA '50; Raymond Maurice Vane, BCom '50; Ruth Eliza
Van Orsdel, BSW '52; Brita H.
Vesterback, BA '41; Ian James
Vogwill, BASc '50; Mrs. Roy
Wainwright, BA '40.
Robert J. Waldie, BA '49; Wm.
Vincent Walisko, BSW '53; Ailsa
H. Walker, BSW '49; Claude E. ' awarded his doctor of education
Walker, BA '45; Garth Leonard degree by Boston University this
Walther, BA '45; Mrs. J. F. Ward   year.
(Audrey I. Ades), BA '45; Kathleen Jean Ward, BA '30, MA '32;
Marjorie Isabel Warren, BA '46.
Elisabeth E. Warwick, BEd '52;
Daniel K. Washimoto, BA '35;
Dorothy M. Washington, BA '26;
Satoru Watanabe, BA '41; Gertrude B. Watson, BA '35; Mrs.
Rulon E. Watson (Constance M.
Hollis) BA '37; James McL. Watt,
BCom '47; George Cuthbert Webber, BA '30, MA '32; Wm. Harvey
Webster. BCom '50; Jeanette
Weinberg, BA '25.
Dr. McGann will visit all parts
of B.C. during the coming year
to familiarize himself with work
now being done in the field of
special education and to explore
the possibility of expanding services.
The Association for Retarded
Children is currently conducting
a campaign to raise $100,000. Part
of the proceeds of this campaign
will be used to support work in
the UBC department of special
education.
Please correct your address below if necessary.
If.   I*3ra:
t i' - 3   iV.   "
'"jo ley   F c ••.•!■:■ i',
Vancouver  3,   B.   C.
M.I   29
B£d  43
Please clip along dotted line and return to:
THE INFORMATION OFFICE
University of B.C., Vancouver 8.
Do you know any of the graduates named above} Please
list below:
Nam e	
Address..
Authorized as Second Class Mail,
Post Office Department, Ottawa.
Return  Postage Guaranteed.
Name	
Address-

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.ubcreports.1-0118637/manifest

Comment

Related Items