UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Reports Sep 30, 1959

Item Metadata


JSON: ubcreports-1.0118190.json
JSON-LD: ubcreports-1.0118190-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): ubcreports-1.0118190-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: ubcreports-1.0118190-rdf.json
Turtle: ubcreports-1.0118190-turtle.txt
N-Triples: ubcreports-1.0118190-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: ubcreports-1.0118190-source.json
Full Text

Full Text

.D.v.   Itlirvllld
Volume 5, No. 4
September, 1959
An extensive review of the
history of UBC is contained
in the annual report of President N. A. M. MacKenzie for
1958, the year in which UBC
marked its golden jubilee.
The report contains numerous tables showing the country of citizenship, religious affiliations, and geographical
distribution of students who
attended UBC during the
1957-58 session. There is also
a large section of photographs,
some never before published,
showing early views of the
UBC's history is in some ways
a record of perpetual frustration
and we have never had enough
Staff, buildings, m o in e y and
facilities of any kind, the president says.
"But there is another way of
looking at our history," President
MacKenzie continues. "The
public has always responded.
We have always needed more
staff and more buildings because
we have always had the one
surplus that is desirable — a
greater demand for education
than our facilities could cope
"Since we are proud of what
we offer and since we think it
good for the community to have
as many graduates as possible,
we must sometimes rejoice that
we have had almost an embarrassment of students."
The president continues: "The
history of the University runs
parallel, in many respects, to
that of the province. As a state
institution it depends mainly upon
the public treasury for financial
"It has prospered with the
prosperity of the province. It
has also felt the pinch of hard
jtimes; even to the point of
threatened extinction. But
throughout its half century of life,
whether in adversity or prosperity,
it has always had the devoted
support of leading citizens, many
of whom have served on its governing   bodies."
UBC opened in 1915, the president points out, with a registration
of 435 and offered courses leading
to a bachelor of arts degree and
the first three years of the bachelor
of  applied science  degree.
In 1958, with just under 10,000
students full undergraduate
degree work is offered for 15 degrees in nine faculties. In addition seven degrees are offered in
the faculty of graduate studies
and Ph.D. work in 24 separate
fields of study.
"My very brief history can have
no tidy conclusion," the president
says. "Neat summaries of the
history of an institution can only
be made when it is static — or
dead. The University of British
Columbia is very much alive and
I hope it will continue to develop
as it has done in the past."
UBC Social Worker
Named Dean of Women
UBC's board of governors have announced the appointment of Mrs. Helen McCrae as dean of women to sur-ceed
Miss Dorothy Mawdsley, who announced her retirement
earlier this year.
A graduate of Victoria College,
University of Toronto, the Ontario college of education and the
school of social work at the University of British Columbia, Mrs.
McCrae brings to her new post a
rich and varied background of
As an undergraduate she was
awarded the Hamilton Fisk Big-
gar Scholarship and the Prince
of Wales Gold Medal. She began
her teaching career in Lindsay,
Ontario, where in 1937 she married Charles H. McCrae. After
his death, in 1942, she came to
British Columbia and enrolled in
the school of social work.
After taking her masters degree
at UBC she went on to take further graduate work in New York
and at Smith College. Until 1950,
Mrs. McCrae was district supervisor for the social welfare
branch in New Westminster, at
which time she joined the staff
at UBC as director of field work
and lecturer in case work.
Six years ago, at the request
of the United Nations, Mrs. McCrae went to Sweden where she
served as a consultant on child
welfare in 1953 and on case work
in 1954-55. Throughout her professional career she has also
taken an active part in a wide
variety of educational and welfare activities.
As dean of women, Mrs. McCrae will, while retaining her
connection with the school of
social work, be primarily responsible for looking after the interests and supervising the welfare
of all women students on the
10,800 to
Register  in
At least 10,800 students are expected to register for the 1959-60
winter session at UBC, according
to officials of the registrar's office. Last year 9950 were enrolled.
Registration may go as high
as 11,000 but some officials feel
that strikes in several major industries may result in some students postponing their education. The fee increase of $100
in all faculties may have some
effect also.
Officials in UBC's employment
service feel that many more
students were employed in the
summer of 1959 than in the previous year when the recession and
a strike in the construction industry resulted in widespread
At press time the employment
office had a scant 200 students
registered as unemployed. One
official said it was difficult to
compile accurate figures concerning student unemployment.
"Many find jobs without informing us," he said, "and others don't
bother to keep in contact with
this office."
Registration for the winter session will follow the same pattern
established in 1958. Students
will register in various campus
buildings before going to the
armoury to fill out registration
booklets and pay their fees.
UBC Honours Leaders
of Bench and Bar
A special congregation honouring international figures
of the bench and bar will be held at UBC September 3.
Five persons will receive honorary doctor of laws degrees (LL.D.'s) at the special congregation which is being
held in conjunction with meetings of the Canadian Bar
Association in Vancouver from August 31 to September 5.
The event will be held in the UBC armoury beginning
at 8 p.m.
Receiving honorary degrees will be: The Right Honourable Lord Parker of Waddington, Lord Chief Justice of
England; Maitre Albert Brunois, advocate to the Paris court
of appeal and one of the leading lawyers of France; Chief
Justice A. C. Desbrisay, chief justice of B.C. and head of
the court of appeal; Mr. Ross L. Malone, president of the
American Bar Association, and Mr. Walter Owen, Q.C.,
president of the Canadian Bar Association.
Lord Chief Justice Will Speak
The congregation address will be given by Lord Parker,
who became England's lord chief justice in 1958. Lord
Parker was educated at Rugby school and Trinity College,
Cambridge before being called to the bar in 1924.
Prior to becoming lord chief justice he was a judge in
the high court of justice, King's bench division, from 1950
to 1954 and a lord justice of appeal from 1954 to 1958.
Maitre Albert Brunois has had a distinguished career
in law and in the French army during World War II. He
escaped from France after the armistice in 1941 and fought
with the Free French forces in the campaigns in Italy,
France, Germany and Austria.
He is a Chevalier of the Legion of Honour and has
been decorated with the Croix de Guerre and the American
Bronze Star Medal.
Appointed Chief Justice in 1958
Mr. Desbrisay was appointed chief justice in 1958 having
previously practised law in Vancouver since 1913. He is a
graduate of Queen's University, a past president of the
Vancouver Bar Association and served as a bencher of the
Law Society of British Columbia for 13 years.
Since 1942 he has been one of the commissioners from
B.C. on the Conference of Commissioners on Uniformity
of Legislation in Canada.
Mr. Ross L. Malone, of Roswell, New Mexico, is the
82nd president of the American Bar Association and at 48
is one of the youngest lawyers to head the national organization of the American legal profession.
Mr. Malone served as deputy attorney-general of the
United States in 1952-53. He was educated in New Mexico
and received his law degree from Washington and Lee
University in 1932.
Honour Bar Association Head
Mr. Walter Owen became president of the Canadian
Bar Association last year. He was born in Atlin, B.C., but
has lived most of his life in Vancouver. He was called to
the bar in 1928.
He was crown prosecutor for the County of Vancouver
from 1933 to 1942 and was appointed King's Counsel in
1945. He has served as a bencher for the Law Society of
B.C. since 1955.
In January this year he attended the Conference of the
International Commission of Jurists in New Delhi, India,
as a member of the Canadian section.
This will be the second occasion on which the University has held a special congregation honouring distinguished
barristers and occupants 6f the bench. In September, 1952,
in conjunction with meetings in Vancouver of the Canadian
Bar Association, eight persons received honorary degrees.
On that occasion the present law building was officially
opened by the then prime minister of Canada, the Hon,
Louis St. Laurent who also received an honorary degree.
Others who received degrees at that time were the late
Hon. Gordon Sloan, then chief justice of B.C.; the late Hon.
Wendell B. Farris, then chief justice of the B.C. supreme
court; and General John A. Clark, then president of the
Canadian Bar Association.
Mr. H. R. MacMillan has donated $50,000 to the University of B.C. for a graduate scholarship fund to mark
the visit of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip to Canada.
President N. A. M. MacKenzie made an announcement
concerning the fund at the dinner honouring the Queen on
July 15 in the Faculty club.
The first five scholarships, each valued at $1000, will be
awarded in September, President MacKenzie said. They
will be for graduate work in any field at UBC. U.B.C. REPORTS
September, 1959
VOLUME 5, No. 4 VANCOUVER  8,   B.C.
JAMES A. BANHAM, editor LAREE  SPRAY   HEIDE,   assistant
Authorized as second class mail,  Post Office Department, Ottawa. Published by the University of
British  Columbia  and  distributed free of  charge to friends and graduates of the University. Permission   is   granted   for   the   material   appearing herein to be reprinted freely.
Victoria College Plans
Prepared   By
DR.  W.   H.   HICKMAN,
Principal,   Victoria   College
Within the last month, the governing
body of Victoria College has made two
important decisions. The first is to develop the present 53-acre site on Lans-
downe road as a main campus and to develop the newly-acquired 120-acre site at
Gordon Head as an ancillary campus.
Secondly, in order to construct much
needed buildings on the present site, the
College council has decided to initiate a
capital fund drive for $1,500,000.
All those interested in problems of
higher education in British Columbia
might like a brief report, on recent developments in Victoria.
Because of natural increase in College
enrolments and through the integration
of teacher education into the University
pattern, Victoria College is growing, with
a registration of 869 in 1958-59, an anticipated 1,050 in the coming year and 1,500
by 1963. The College is anxious to be a
Liberal Arts institution of 2,000 to 2,500,
offering University of British Columbia
degrees in arts, science and education.
Indeed, it has already decided to offer
third year courses in a limited number of
fields during the coming session and
fourth year courses the following year.
Therefore its first graduating class, perhaps 20 in number, should receive degrees in May 1961.
There has, of course, been argument
about a name. A small number of local
people suggest "University of Victoria,"
—indicating a desire for a separate institution of higher learning and a preference for the "bigger" word. Others suggest either "University of British Columbia at Victoria, Victoria College," or "Victoria College of the University of British
Many people, including Faculty and ex-
students, wish to retain "Victoria College" for traditional reasons, and also because it has a local flavour and connotes
that intimacy inherent in a good small
liberal arts institution. It will be easy to
settle the matter of a name; the essential,
everyone agrees, is to maintain the academic standards of the College and to con
tinue to grow gradually as a highly respected academic centre for the liberal
With inevitable expansion in mind, for
the past few years Victoria College has'
considerably extended its facilities. The
present campus now comprises 53 acres
of land — fine view property ■— on which
are two permanent lecture buildings, four
large army huts and Dunlop House. In
1959, the College purchased 120 acres, the
former Gordon Head Army Camp, situated approximately 1V2 miles from the
main teaching campus. This area is to be
developed immediately for athletics, and
at a later date possibly for research, residences, stadium, etc.
For almost two years Victoria College
authorities have been giving careful consideration to many suggestions, including
one by the Victoria chamber of commerce that an entirely new campus be
built at Gordon Head. Ideal as this might
sound, the council has decided to develop
the present site, convinced that 53 acres
is more than sufficient for a teaching
campus, convinced that it would be unwise and wasteful to abandon what already exists, and convinced, too, that
there is no real prospect of raising immediately the $7,000,000 or $8,000,000
required for a move to another campus.
During the coming session, 1,050 students and 60 faculty members will work
in very cramped quarters. For over a
year the College has been requesting of
the provincial government a new library,
a new science building and a power house.
To launch its building programme, the
College will make an immediate appeal to
the public for $1,500,000. The provincial
government has agreed to match the
amount collected and Canada Council has
promised  $300,000.
Thus, as an affiliate of the University
of British Columbia, Victoria College (by
whatever name it assumes) is preparing
students for B.A., B.Sc. and B.Ed, degrees. It will do this on a 173-acre campus, with instruction given in old and new
buildings on the Lansdowne road site. It
has ambitious plans to place before the
citizens of Victoria, the Island and the
province which it serves, and from which
it will soon be asking unanimous support.
Papers May Alter History
History books about British Columbia may have to be altered
after historians have gone
through two boxes of letters recently donated to UBC's library.
The boxes contain correspondence between Sir Joseph Trutch,
B.C.'s first lieutenant-governor
after Confederation, and his brother, John Trutch, who laid out a
large part of the province's early
public works.
The correspondence was presented to assistant UBC librarian,
Dr. Sam Rothstein, by Mrs. Charlotte Morgan-Kelly of Ladysmith,
a niece of the Trutch brothers
and Anthony Musgrave, the last
colonial governor of B.C.    .
Mrs. Morgan-Kelly has left for
England, where she will reside
with her son, Flight-Lieutenant
Michael Kelly, who gathered together many of the letters. Some
of. the correspondence has already  been   arranged   by   noted
BC. historian B. A. McKelvie of
Cobble Hill, Vancouver Island.
Dr. Rothstein said the correspondence would probably fill in
many gaps in B.C. history and enable historians to give proper biographical treatment to the Trutch
In addition to the letters the
two boxes contain many early
photographs and drawings of
B.C., including a view of the
waterfront and harbour of Na-
naimo in 1862.
Many of the letters illustrate
the differences which arose between the federal and B.C. governments of that time. B.C. entered Confederation on the understanding that the transcontinental railway should be pushed
through to the west coast by the
government of Sir John A. Mac-
In a letter to his brother from
England in 1877, Sir Joseph
Trutch suggests the possibility of
B.C. returning to colonial status
if Sir John A. MacDonald lost the
election of 1878, which might have
meant shelving of the railway
The Trutch brothers co-operated in the building of the first
suspension bridge at Spuzzui.i
and they constructed a major
portion of the Cariboo road between Yale and Lytton.
When B.C. entered Confederation, John Trutch was commissioned to lead the first survey
party in search of a suitable railway pass through the Rocky
Historians who make use of the
letters will have a difficult time
reading them. Owing to scarcity
of paper the brothers often
turned their letters sideways and
continued writing.
President MacKenzie
ot Council Meetings
PRESIDENT N. A. M. MacKENZIE attended meetings
of the Canada Council in Halifax on August 17 and 18.
The president is one of two Canadians appointed, trustees of the
World Foundation Against Hunger and Misery which recently
moved its headquarters from Geneva to Montreal.
This international organization is governed by some 20 individuals from various countries. The Foundation's work, especially
in Africa, has been recognized all over the world.
DR. MAX L. HOWELL, assistant professor in the school of
physical education, was elected a vice-president of the Canadian
Association of Health, Physical Education and Research at the Association's annual meetings in Edmonton in June.
Dr. Howell has also been named a fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine.
* * *
MICHAEL M. DANE, instructor in the department of Slavonic
studies, was elected secretary-treasurer of the Canadian Association
of Slavists in Saskatoon during June.
* * * v
PROFESSOR ROY DAN I ELLS, head of the department of English, has been named to the editorial board of the Literary History
of Canada, which will be published shortly.
* * *
DEAN GEOFFREY C. ANDREW, deputy to the president, has
been appointed to a three-man committee which will review all
aspects of higher education in New Zealand. Dean Andrew will
leave in late August for New Zealand for three months. An Englishman and a New Zealander are the other members of the committee.
GEORGE F. CURTIS,, dean of the faculty of law, attended a
Commonwealth education conference at Oxford University from July
15-29. A total of 150 delegates from Commonwealth countries and
15 United Kingdom dependencies attended the conference.
The conference agreed to provide 1000 scholarships for exchanges within the  Commonwealth.
« * *
Three University of B.C. professors were elected fellows of the
Royal Society of Canada during meetings of the Learned Societies
in Saskatoon during June.
Those elected were: PROFESSOR J. B. WARREN, of the department of physics; PROFESSOR J. ROSS MacKAY, of the department of geography, and PROFESSOR D. HAROLD COPP, head
of the department of physiology in the faculty of medicine.
* * *
Two members of the staff of the school of architecture have
been elected to the executive of the B.C. division of the Community
Planning Association of Canada. They are PROFESSOR FREDERIC
LASSERRE, head of the school, and IRA M. ROBINSON, assistant
professor of planning.
New executive members of the Vancouver branch of the Association are WOLFGANG GERSON, associate professor in architecture, DR. PETER OBERLANDER, associate professor of planning, and PROFESSOR PHILIP WHITE, of the faculty of commerce.
* * *
PROFESSOR   F.   MALCOLM    KNAPP,   director   of   University
forests and a member of the staff of the faculty of forestry, has
been reappointed registrar of the Association of B.C. Foresters.
i     * * *
Seven UBC doctors attended the joint annual meeting of the
Canadian and British Medical Associations in Edinburgh from July
18 to 24.
Those attending were: DR. ROBERT KERR, head of the department of medicine, who presented a paper; DR. JAMES S.
TYHURST, head of the department of psychiatry, who took part
in round table discussions; DR. D. HAROLD COPP, head of the department of physiology, who also presented a paper, and DR. A.
JOHN NELSON, of the department of preventive medicine, and
DRS. JOHN A. BALFOUR, ROBERT G. LANGSTON, and DONALD MATHESON, all of the department of surgery.
* * *
Four UBC teachers have been elected fellows of the Chemical
Institute of Canada in recognition of their contribution to Canadian
chemistry and chemical engineering.
They are: DRS. GUY DUTTON and ROSS STEWART, both associate professors in the department of chemistry; DR. S. D>. CAVERS,
associate professor in the department of chemical engineering and
DR. H. G. KHORANA, who was recently appointed a professor in
the faculty of graduate studies.
* * *
JOHN F. McLEAN, director of personnel services at UBC, has
been relected president of the Canadian University Counselling and
Placement Association and has accepted the honorary position of
associate secretary-general to the International Association of Educational and Vocational Information with headquarters in Paris.
* # *
PROFESSOR G. M. VOLKOFF, of the department of physics,
attended the annual conference on high energy physics in Kiev,
Russia, July 14-25. The conference was organized eight years ago
to discuss the latest developments in this field. It is the second
time the conference has been held outside the U.S.
* ,'fi %
DR. PETER OBERLANDER, associate professor of planning and
design in the school of architecture, is on a six-weeks visit to Ghana,
Africa, at the request of the bureau of technical assistance operations of the United Nations, to advise the UN on the problems involved in establishing a regional training centre in community planning and development there. September, 1959
ARTIST'S SKETCHES above show the
tentative arrangement of buildings for the
fine arts center (top of page) and the new
wing to the Buchanan building. Fine arts
center will be made up of several buildings.
Structure at left will contain a theatre and
space for fine arts and music. Building in
background   will   accommodate   the   school
of architecture and the small building at
right will house the anthropology museum.
The new wing to the Buchanan building
will serve as a multi-purpose classroom
building for arts. It will be built on the
parking lot adjacent to the existing building and extend down the east mall to the
women's gym.
Six Buildings Ready
for Winter Session
Six  brand   new buildings  will
be   ready   for   faculty    members j
and  students when  the  1959-60
winter  session   opens   September
Three new residences, each
capable of housing 100 students,
have been completed on Marine
drive adjacent to the campus.
Cost of the three units was $1,-
242,293. A central dining and
recreational building, to cost
$926,064, is being constructed adjacent to the residence units and
will be finished by January 1.
New wings to the biological
sciences and chemistry buildings
will also be ready when classes
start. New classrooms, laboratories  and  offices  are contained
in the wings.
UBC's new Faculty club, built
with a donation of $600,000 to the
development fund from Mr. Leon
Koerner and the late Mrs. Koer-
ner, opened on June 15. The club
was the site of a banquet on
July 15 for Her Majesty Queen
Elizabeth H and His Royal Highness Prince Philip.
Under construction is a new
wing to the University library,
scheduled for completion in September, 1960. The contract,
valued at $1,053,810, was awarded in July to the Vancouver construction firm of A. R. Grimwood.
The new wing will double the
seating  capacity  of  the  existing
John Lees, glassblower for UBC's physics department,
has had a sample of his work accepted for display in an
international exhibition of contemporary glass.
The entry, a small glass totem pole, is the only piece
by a Canadian accepted for the exhibition at the Corning
Glass Center, in Corning, New York. The exhibition,
which aims at exhibiting the finest glasswork in the world
today, is entitled  "Glass-1959."
More than 23 countries are represented in the exhibition, which is made up of about 200 pieces:
The exhibition will be on tour for about 18 months.
It will appear at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New
York, and at art centers in Chicago, Toledo and Virginia.
building and will feature a large
undergraduate reading room
with an open-shelf collection of
books. Other features will be
additional stacks and carrels
and a room to house special collections such as the 45,000 volume Chinese collection purchased last year by the Friends
of the Library.
During the fall contracts will
be awarded for construction of
a $2,800,000 medical center on
University boulevard opposite
the War Memorial gymnasium
and new wings to the Wesbrook
building, to accommodate the
faculty of pharmacy, and the
Buchanan building. The Buchanan wing will serve as a multipurpose arts unit.
In the planning stage is a
$1,500,000 fine arts center which
will be built on the main UBC
parking lot opposite the Faculty
club. The center will be made
up of several units and will provide accommodation for the
schools of music and architecture.
Also included in the center
will be a theatre, an art gallery
and an anthropology museum.
The building program is being
financed with grants from the
provincial government, the Canada Council and the UBC Development fund.
UBC Homecoming Set
for November 6 and 7
UBC  graduates  will  return to  the  campus  November
6 and 7 for annual Homecoming celebrations.
An alumni committee under
Kingsley Harris, BCom. '47, BSF
'48 is in charge of arrangements
for the event which will begin
on the evening of Nov. 6 with a
number   of  faculty  parties.
Four Exhibitions
to be Staged in
University Gallery
Paintings by Canadian and
American artists will be featured
at four exhibitions in the University art gallery during the
October 6-31: Second Pacific
coast biennial. An exhibition of
paintings from the three Pacific
states — Washington, Oregon and
California. This exhibition is
being circulated throughout the
U.S. and Canada by the Smithsonian Institute of Washington,
The first Pacific coast biennial
was organized in 1955 to interest
art collectors, museums and galleries in Pacific coast art and to
encourage and promote work by
living artists.
October 6-31: Morris Graves
exhibition. Mr. Graves, who was
born near Seattle, is one of America's most sensitive and subtle
artists. The exhibition will consist of about 25 drawings and
paintings. Mr. Graves, who was
influenced by Oriental art, did
most of his work on thin tissue
paper in gouache.
November 1-18: Selection of
paintings from the collection of
Edmonton art collector Ernest E.
Poole. Exhibition will include
works by members of the group
of seven and European masters
such as Constable, Utrillo and
November 1-18: Selection of
drawings by students of Sister
Mary Corita of the Convent of
the Sacred Heart, Los Angeles.
The following day faculty coffee parties will open the program
of events followed by a number
of seminars on the topic "The
challenge of science." Following
the annual Homecoming luncheon
in Brock Hall graduates will trek
to the stadium to see the Thun-
derbirds play Saskatchewan in
the annual Homecoming football
Following the football game the
three new men's residences on
Marine Drive will be officially
opened. In the evening there will
be reunions for the classes of
1924, '29, '34, '39, '44 and '49 in
various campus locations.
The day will end with the
Homecoming ball in Brock Hall.
Selected delegates from all
parts of B.C. will come to the
University September 18 and 19
for a community relations conference. The conference has been
limited to 45 persons.
Purpose of the conference, according to John Haar, BA '50, who
has organized the event, is to inform delegates of present and
future developments on the campus and to make them aware of
UBC's  problems.
Top University officials will
discuss the future of higher education in B.C. and university
standards. The role and organization of alumni will also be discussed and extension department
officials will outline their program for the coming year and
indicate how alumni can assist
:■: Jj: ^
The alumni annual giving appeal for 1959 stood at more than
$8700 as "UBC Reports" went to
press. A total of 735 persons had
made contributions to the appeal
which will be turned over to the
UBC development fund for
matching grants by the provincial
government. The appeal is under
the direction of Don Miller,
BCom '47.
UBC's board of governors have established a Thea
Koerner Memorial Fund, President N. A. M. MacKenzie
has announced.
The president said that many friends had expressed a
desire for a memorial fund at the University in view of
Mrs. Koerner's interest in helping young people. Certain
contributions have already been received, the president
The board of governors will, in due course, decide on
the most appropriate form of memorial, the president said. U.B.C. REPORTS
September, 1959
Extension Offers 128
Evening Study Courses
More than 5000 persons are expected to register for 128 adult
evening classes beginning in late
September at the University of
Officials of the extension department, which administers the evening program, said there is an increase of 15 per cent in the number of courses offered.
A brochure giving full details
of courses and fees is now available and may be obtained by
writing or telephoning to the UBC
extension   department.
A wide range of liberal arts
courses covering such fields as
astronomy, economics, fine arts,
languages and history are offered
for the 1959-60 term.
In the arts and crafts section
instruction will be offered in
woodblock printing, pottery and
ceramics. There will also be a
special course in creative art for
children on  Saturday mornings.
Dr. F. A. Kaempffer, of UBC's
physics department, will repeat
the popular series of lectures he
gave on astronomy over the CBC
television network during the
summer. Space travel and the
possibility of life on other worlds
will be discussed during the ten-
week course which begins on
September 28.
Five courses will be offered in
the field of dance and drama. A
short intensive workshop in acquiring and using acting technique will be instructed by John
Thorne, supervising producer at
CBUT and Joy Coghill, director
Discussion Program to
Add Thirty New Groups
Thirty new discussion groups will be added to the UBC
extension department's "living room learning" program in
the greater Vancouver area in September.
^-^————————————<&   Liberal arts discussion groups
New Magazines
Will Appear
on September 15
Two magazines, both edited by
members of UBC's English
department, will make their
appearance on September 15.
The University's first official
publication, entitled "Canadian
Literature: A quarterly of critic-
Ism and review", will be edited by
assistant professor George Woodcock. The Leon and Thea Koerner Foundation has made a contribution toward the publication
of the journal.
Purpose of the magazine is to
inform readers of developments
in Canadian literature, review all
books of literary interest written
by a Canadian or about Canada,
and -to print critical essays on
writers and writing.
The second publication, entitled
"Prism", will be edited by assistant professor Jan de Bruyn. It
will publish only imaginative as
opposed to critical writing and
the editors intend to emphasize
the writing of western Canada
and, in particular, B.C.
Fiction, drama, poetry and
familiar essays will appear.
"Prism" will be the only magazine
in Canada which will regularly
publish plays.
Both magazines will appear
quarterly and will sell at the rate
of $3 per year. Subscriptions to
"Canadian Literature" may be
obtained by writing to Mr. I.
Bell, at the UBC library.
Subscriptions to "Prism" should
be sent to Mr. Jan de Bruyn at
3492 West 35th Ave,, Vancouver
13, B.C.
will be established in North and
West Vancouver, Burnaby and
Vancouver. The program began
in September, 1957, with a grant
of $32,000 from the Fund for
Adult Education, an independent
organization established by the
Ford  Foundation.
Since the program was first
organized by Knute Buttedahl,
1100 persons throughout the
province have joined 95 groups.
Discussion topics range from
modern painting and the humanities to world affairs, economics
and Russian foreign policy.
Mr. Jindra Kulich, a discussion
leader for the past two years,
will co-ordinate the program in
the greater Vancouver area.
Working with him as regional
assistants will be Mrs. Karen
Belisle, Mrs. Anne Banninger,
Denis Franklin and Nigel Nixon.
The program will also be expanded in other parts of the
province. Both Prince George
and Victoria have active groups
and additional classes are
planned   in   the   autumn.
Persons who enrol for one of
the groups receive a set of
readings which are studied in
advance. When the groups meet
in the home of one of the participants discussion is led by trained leaders and stimulated by
recordings, slides and films.
In a recent review of industrial
microbiology in British Commonwealth countries, the published accounts of scientific research showed that of Canada's
contribution to this field 36 per
cent of the papers were written
by graduates in agriculture, microbiology from UBC.
of the Holiday theatre.
Five modern plays will be discussed intensively in a course
entitled "Readings in modern
theatre," which will be instructed
by University teachers and Vancouver theatre directors.
In the dance section a workshop
instructed by Mrs. Helen Goodwin will concentrate on active
dance composition. There will be
a second course in folk dancing
and a Saturday morning series in
creative   dance  for children.
A course entitled "Current economic trends in Canada" will
deal with such national problems
as export markets, taxation, automation, the stock market and
immigration policy.
In the field of natural resources
the head of the UBC geography
department, Prof. J. Lewis Robinson, will discuss Canada's resource development and potential.
In the political science section
six courses will deal with current
international problems, Canada in
world affairs, French society and
politics, past political thinkers,
theory and practise of communism and the cold war.
Two workshops in creative
writing will be highlights of the
offerings in English^ O/tiher
courses will deal with linguistics
and writing better English.
Students will be able to take
elementary or advanced instruction in seven languages including
Hebrew, Chinese and Russian
during the winter. ' Other languages offered are French, Italian, Spanish^ and "German.
Prof. Harry Adaskin will discuss American music of the past
25 years in one of seven music
courses. Other classes will deal
with the symphony orchestra
and its repertoire, music and
civilization, music of different
nations and the leading of group
The UBC extension chorus will
again be instructed by Nicholas
Goldschmidt and there will foe a
Saturday morning music series
for children.
Courses in comparative religion
and the validity of Christianity
will outline the bases of belief
of some of the world's major
religions and assess the effect of
enquiries into the foundations
of Christianity.
Travel in Europe, Latin America, Asia and Mexico will be discussed in four courses. The
courses are part of a program of
educational tours for adults which
is being initiated this session
by a number of Canadian universities in cooperation with  UBC.
The lecture series preceding
the tours are designed to acquaint
travellers with the countries to
be visited. The courses will also
be open to anyone interested in
obtaining background information.
. . . directs series.
Radio Station
Makes Grant
to University
Vancouver radio station
CKWX has made a grant of
$6000 to UBC to develop and
broadcast a series of experimental radio programs.
The communications division
of the extension department,
headed by Alan Thomas, will
produce the series over a period
of eight months beginning in
September in cooperation with
Arrangements for the grant to
UBC were made by the late F. H.
Elphicke, former manager of
CKWX. The Leon and Thea
Koerner Foundation has also
made a grant to the extension
department to support the series.
Active planning of the programs, which will explore the
character of modern city life, has
b&g xt n- under the direction - of
Bill Ballentine, a UBC graduate
and former president of the UBC
radio society.
The series will include documentaries, music programs, round
table discussions and reports of
current and civic affairs. News
and reviews of Vancouver
theatre, radio and television productions will be included as well
as book reviews.
Original creative material by
Vancouver authors, composers
and artists will also be broadcast.
New techniques for reporting
civic affairs and presenting cultural activities will be explored,
Mr. Thomas said.
A number of correspondents,
many of them UBC graduates,
currently living in overseas
centers, have agreed to act as
correspondents for the series and
to send taped documentary
reports for broadcast.
Mr. Thomas said program
directors would build a continuous relationship with the audience by encouraging suggestions
for programs. "We also hope to
set up a board of advisors representing political, leiigiotis, business and professional organizations," he added.
Where are
These Grads
Living Now?
The current address of many
UBC graduates is unknown.
If you know the whereabouts
of any of the degree-holders listed below fill in the coupon which
appears at the bottom of this page
and mail it to the Information
Office, UBC, Vancouver 8, B.C.
Ernest A. J. Lemon BA '48;
Mrs. W. A. Lemon (Gloria E.
Trusweil) BA '39; Margaret Louise Lennie BA '42; Archibald B.
Levy BA '49, MA '53; Earl A.
Levis MSc '53; David Alan Lewis
BCom *38; Ting Kwong Li BA '38.
Margaret T. W. Lightbody BA
'31; Annie B. Lillico BA '24; Robert E. Lindsay BA '49; Annie Lips
BA '46.
Barbara Mae Lipsey BA '48;
Leon Lipson BA '49; Mrs. Lipton
(Mary G. Pickering) BA '43, MA
'45; Nancy L. Little BA '51; Vera
May Little BA '34; Garrett S.
Livingston BA '24.
Daphne C. Livingstone BA '51;
Gladys Marie Lock BA '47, BSW
'48; Charles H. Lockwood BA '50;
Rev. Edward S. Logie BA '16;
Nancy B. Lomas BA '48; Muriel
Alice Loney BA '49; Howard F.
Longfield BSA '48.
Malcolm Keith Lorimer BASc
'50; Dr. Harry Lotzkar BA '34,
MA '35; Mrs. Gordon Lough BA
'47, BSW '48.
Helene Lourie BSA '45; Marianne Lourie BA '43, BSA '43;
Charles P. Love BASc '38; Mrs.
Charles P. Love BA '38; Donald
S. W. Love BASc '50.
Eileen Lovejoy BSW '52; George
Roy Lowe BA '38; Jean Agnes
Lawrence BA '34; Claribel Lugs-
din BA *31, MA '33; Alice R.
Lymbery BA '48; Mrs. J. C. Lynch
BSA '45; Harold Eugene Lyons
BA '38; Robert H. Lyons BASc
Mrs. Ernest Lythgoe BA '28
Brian Claude Lytton BA '52
Eugene F. Machell BASc '47
John Mackend BA '48.
David Anthony Mackie BCom
'48 Mervyn F. Madill BA '50;
Edith Margo Magee BA '32; Fred
H. Maikawa BA '29; Ronald Allen
Makepeace BA '31, MA '33; Elene
Malamos BA '50; Robert Andrew
Malcolm BASc '49; Clementine
Malensek BA '48; Mrs. John H.
Manley BA '28.
Phebenell Senkler Manley BA
'48; Dr. Cedric R. Mann PhD '53
Mrs. M. Joyce Manning BA '43;
Berl Marantz BASc '49; Raymond
O. Marcotte BA '50.
Jean Eugenia Margolis BA '31;
H. J. Mark BCom '48; Mrs. Ruth
Lenore Marsh BA '32; Mrs. T. B.
Marsh BA '27; Marjorie E. K.
Marshall BA '44; Royce Stanley
Marshall BA '44.
William J. G. Martin LLB '48;
Rosetta Martindale BA '37; Gerard
L. Mason BA '47, Laurence R.
Masters BSA '45; Nina A dell
Mathers BA '21.
This space for information office use
Please Cut On This Line
Please correct your address below if necessary.
Please clip along dotted line and return to:
University of B.C., Vancouver 8.
Do you know any of the graduates named above? Please
list below:
Ufa.  H.   W^TowldF,
45SQ fj^lat Av«.,
Vanp<ftiv#r 8, B. C«
Authorized as Second Class Mail,
Post1 Office Department, Ottawa.
ReturnPostage Guaranteed.
£ 7% ?      US "9>>


Citation Scheme:


Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics



Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            async >
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:


Related Items