UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Reports Feb 28, 1959

Item Metadata

Download

Media
ubcreports-1.0117828.pdf
Metadata
JSON: ubcreports-1.0117828.json
JSON-LD: ubcreports-1.0117828-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): ubcreports-1.0117828-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: ubcreports-1.0117828-rdf.json
Turtle: ubcreports-1.0117828-turtle.txt
N-Triples: ubcreports-1.0117828-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: ubcreports-1.0117828-source.json
Full Text
ubcreports-1.0117828-fulltext.txt
Citation
ubcreports-1.0117828.ris

Full Text

 INTERNATIONAL HOUSE OPENS
■ D.V.nljlrw 1113;
Volume 5, No. 1
February, 1959
MRS. ELEANOR ROOSEVELT will officially open Canada's only International House
on the UBC Campus when she visits Vancouver March 4. The new building, located at
the nox-th end of the West Mall on Marine Drive, contains a lounge, cafeteria, library, committee rooms and a stage for student productions. Rotary Club of Vancouver gave
$150,000 earmarked for the construction of the house which has membership of 375 students representing more than 40 countries.
GIFT TO UBC MEDICAL FACULTY
New Laboratory Houses
Institutes Equipment
The British Columbia Medical
Research Institute has donated
its research equipment, valued
at $61,000. to the University of
British Columbia's medical faculty, President N. A. M. Mac-
Kenzie   announce   recently.
DONATION TO  FUND
The Institute has also made a
donation of $95,000 to the UBC
Development Fund, President
MacKenzie said.
The University will continue
the research projects of the Institute in a new laboratory to be
known as the "G. F Strong Laboratory for Medical Research,"
which will be located in the Uni
versity's medical school building
at 10th and Heather.
The equipment will be moved
from the Institute's present headquarters at 775 West 12th to the
medical school building.
NEW   CONSTRUCTION
Construction of an additional
floor on the medical building to
house the new laboratory will be
completed by April 1. Dr. Kenneth Evelyn, director of the
BCMRI, will continue as director
of the Strong Laboratory.
Mr. Norman English, president
of the board of trustees of the
BCMRI, said the decision to
transfer responsibility for its re-
New Body to Supervise
University Fund Drives
A UBC Development Council has been formed to supervise future solicitation of funds for the University, President
N. A. M. MacKenzie has announced.
Objectives  of the  Council  are
to coordinate the University's
fund raising programs, to assist
in UBC's public relations, stimulate the interest of alumni and
friends in UBC's development,
and to study UBC's needs and
recommend for adoption programs involving public support.
COUNCIL COMPOSITION
The Council will be composed
of members of the Board of
Governors, Senate, faculty, alumni and students. Alumni representatives appointed to the
Council are W. T. Brown, Mark
Collins and Don Miller.
Faculty on the Council are
Professor John Deutsch, Dean
Walter Gage and Dean Gordon
Shrum.    Senate   representatives
are Hon. J. V.  Clyne and J. M.
Buchanan.
The Board of Governors will
be represented by Mrs. F. M.
Ross and Walter C. Koerner,
while students will be represented by the current AMS president. Council chairman is Dr.
MacKenzie.
STANDING COMMITTEES
The Council will have a number of standing committees which
will be responsible for appeals in
specific areas such as alumni
annual giving, corporate giving,
commemorative gifts and bequests, wills and trusts.
Mr. Aubrey Roberts will continue as director of the UBC
Development Fund which now
stands  at $8,535,000.
search projects to UBC's medical
school was the result of a study
made by a special committee
established by the Institute.
COMMITTEE   REPORT
The committee reported that
the functions of the Institute, as
they relate to the provision of
laboratory facilities and personnel for medical research, would
be fulfilled more efficiently and
economically by UBC's medical
faculty.
The BCMRI, Mr. English said,
would continue to operate and
will support medical research in
B.C.
RESEARCH   PROJECTS
During the current year there
are 40 persons carrying out 21
research projects at the Institute.
Dr. G. F. Strong, for whom the
new laboratory is named, was one
of the founders of the BCMRI in
1948. He was one of B. C.'s leading heart specialists and was active in the establishment of a
faculty of medicine at UBC. He
was the first clinical professor of
medicine named to the faculty
when it was formed in 1951.
For 30 years Dr. Strong was
closely associated with the development of the Vancouver General Hospital. He served as a
member of the medical board for
many years and was chairman
from 1954 to 1956.
HONORARY DEGREE
He was president of the American College of Physicians in 1956
and in the same year received an
honorary doctor of science degree from Laval University.
He died suddenly in February,
1957, in Montreal where he was
attending a meeting of the National Heart Foundation of Canada.
Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt
To Open House March 4
Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt will officially open Canada's first
International House on the UBC campus on Wednesday,
March 4 when she visits Vancouver on her current lecture
tour.
Opening ceremonies will take place at 3:30 p.m. at the
modern building at the corner of Marine drive and the West
Mall. Student members of International House will present
a program of entertainment in the evening.   -
Brotherhood Symposium Planned
International House officials are also planning a special symposium entitled "Can brotherhood prevail in the space age?" to be
held a day or so after the official opening.
On Saturday, March 7, Dr. Herrick B. Young, president of
Western College, Oxford, Ohio, and a former executive director
of the International House Association in New York, will address
a  banquet  in  Brock Hall.
A donation of $150,000 was made to the UBC Development Fund
by the Rotary Club of Vancouver for construction of International
House.   An additional $90,000 was contributed by the University.
Other organizations and individuals active in raising funds for
the construction and furnishing of the house were Marpole Rotary
Club, B.C. Chapter of the International House Association, the
Zonta Club, the student International House Club, the Consular
Corps of Vancouver and Mr. Rogan Jones of station KVOS, Bell-
ingham.
Services of Architect Donated
Professor Frederick Lasserre, director of UBC's school of
architectural, donated his services in designing the building as did
Mrs. Simone Holloway, Vancouver interior designer, who chose the
furniture and colour scheme for the House.
Eventually it is hoped to add a residence unit to the House
capable of accommodating 200 to 300 graduate students.
At present International House has a membership of 375 students
with more than 40 countries represented. President of the student
International House  Club is Peter St. John.
The building contains a large lounge and cafeteria as well as a
library, committee rooms and offices. The International House
Association is anxious to receive donations of selected good books
dealing with Canada to stock the library.
The Zonta Club has already contributed $1500 toward the
acquisition of Canadiana for the library.
First Club Organized in 1949
The opening of the building culminates almost ten years of
work on the part of many people. It was through the initiative
of an East Indian student, Miss Frene Ginwala, that an International
Students' Club was first formed at UBC in 1949.
The following year the International House Committee was
formed and in 1954 the University made an army hut available to
the students' club. In 1953 the Rotary Club of Vancouver decided
to raise $150,000 toward construction of a permanent building at UBC.
New Baptist Center
Houses 40 Students
Construction of a Baptist Theological College, to be
named Carey Hall, will begin early in March, according to
officials of Dominion Construction Company, builders of
the $200,000 center.
The residential center will be named for William Carey (1761-
1834), famed English Orientalist and missionary, who founded a
missionary college in India and taught Indian languages at Fort
William  College,   Calcutta.
UBC's fifth theological college will be located at the eastern
end of the theological area on Wesbrook Crescent.
The present program calls for construction of two dormitory
units and a central lounge block. (See picture Page 4). Eventually
the college will consist of seven buildings when two dormitory
units, a chapel and a principal's residence are added.
May Build Winter Sports Center
A committee headed by Tom Hughes, UBC's superintendent of buildings and grounds, is investigating the possibility
of constructing a winter sports center adjacent to the War
Memorial Gymnasium.
The center, which may cost as much as $500,000, would contain
a full size skating rink measuring 90 feet by 185 feet, eight curling
sheets and a 25 metre indoor swimming pool as well as restaurant
and dressing room facilities.
Mr. Hughes is holding meetings with operators of other winter
sports centers in the Vancouver area to determine the cost of such
a project. When complete his report will be forwarded to the board
of governors for consideration.
New Contract for Residence
A contract worth $970,900 for a dormitory unit and
a central dining and lounge building was awarded to Burns
and Dutton Construction Company in January.
The central building will service the entire residence development now taking shape on Marine Drive adjacent to the campus.
The first unit of the residence development will be open on
April 1 and will be named Robson Hall, for J. G. Robson, who
contributed $250,000 to the UBC Development Fund earmarked for
residences.
The second residence unit will be open in May and completion
of the third unit and the central dining hall is scheduled for September, 1960. U.B.C. REPORTS
February, I95»
U.B.C. REPORTS
VOLUME 5, No. 1 VANCOUVER  8,   B.C.
NOVEMBER,  1958
JAMES A. BANHAM, editor LAREE   SPRAY   HEIDE,  assistant
UNIVERSITY   INFORMATION   OFFICE
Aathorreed as second class mail, Post Office Department, Ottawa. Published by the University of
British  Columbia  and  distributed free  of  charge to friends and graduates of the University. Permission   is   granted   for   the   material   appearing herein to be reprinted freely.
GUEST EDITORIAL
A New Athletic Report
Professor A. If". Matthews, Dean of the Faculty
of Pharmacy, was chairman of the Senate Committee on
Recreation, Athletics and Physical Education, u hich recently presented its report, calling for changes in UBC's
athletic setup, to the Senate and the Board of Governors.
In this, the first of two articles, he analyses the report
and explains u hat effect it trill have on athletics at
UBC.
By  DEAN   A. W.   MATTHEWS
At the end of the 1957-58 session a Senate
Committee on Recreation, Athletics and Physical
Education brought forward certain recommendations, which subsequently were approved in principle by both the Senate and the Board of Governors, calling for several major changes in the
plan for operating the extra-mural athletic program.
Basically, the direct control of extra-murals
will be, as before, under the Men's Athletic Committee, as a President's Committee, but the provision of certain additional funds by the Board
of Governors for administration and maintenance
purposes will now make it possible to devote the
whole Alma Mater Society grant to the actual
carrying out of the program.
The report also recommended that, as quickly
as the resources of the school of physical education will permit, the coaching service provided
by staff members should be expanded. It was
suggested that the Board of Governors also consider the possibility of a subsidiary grant, at
least during the initial years, to assist in the
financing of UBC's re-entry into western intercollegiate competition.
THIRD STAGE BEGINS
The changes in policy referred to above may
be said to mark the beginning of the third stage
in the development of UBC athletics. Prior to
1950, the scheduling and conduct of intercollegiate
and other extra-mural sports were considered to
be entirely within the realm of student activities
under the jurisdiction of the Alma Mater Society.
As a result of the yearly change-over of student
officials there was little continuity or consistency
in athletic policy and funds were not always directed to the best advantage.
A student committee, appointed to consider the
whole plan of operation, with a view to suggesting changes, listed the following desirable objectives.
(1) the need to relieve the student executive of
the burden of responsibility;
(2) the need to have greater continuity, stability
and efficiency of operation;
(3) the desirability of having the University primarily responsible for and in control of the
program. (This latter was stated not to have
the approval of all students.)
As a result of this committee's report the so-
called "Ostrom Plan" for Men's Athletics came
into operation for the session 1950-51. The plan
involved the appointment by the administration
of an athletic director, who at the same time became secretary of the Men's Athletic Committee
composed of staff, student and alumni representatives. Funds for the operation of the men's extramural program were provided, in the main, by a
per-eapita grant from the A.M.S. The budget
drawn up by the M.A.C. was to be submitted to
both the A.M.S. and the Finance Committee of
the Board of Governors for approval.
A fixed figure, $8,800, was to be carried in this
budget as payable to the school of physical education for the provision of certain coaching services. This sum represented the average administrative costs being carried by the A.M.S. under
the existing arrangement, including coaching,
training and stenographic supplies and assistance. , At the same time, the Board of Governors
assumed directly an additional salary commitment
for the appointment of an athletic director.
CHANGE OF STATUS
The chain of authority for the Men's Athletic
Committee was through the 'school of physical
education and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
The director of the school became chairman of
the Committee.
Thus, the second stage of development began
under the guidance of a Men's Athletic Committee
and with the budget provided by the Alma Mater
Society. While, as stated, this Committee initially
reported to the school of physical education, its
status was changed in 1952 to that of a President's
Committee, with a member of Senate as chairman.
The director of the school of physical education
is a continuing member of the Committee and two
other faculty members are elected by the Joint-
Faculties  Council  for  two-year  terms.
The remainder of the Committee is comprised
of the president and treasurer of the Alma Mater
Society, the president and secretary of the Men's
Athletic Association (an affiliation of all athletic
clubs on the campus) and a representative appointed by the Alumni Association. The athletic
director acts as a non-voting secretary to M.A.C.
EXTRA-MURALS EXPAND
Since its inception the Men's Athletic Committee has functioned quite effectively and the
extra-mural program has grown and expanded
until it embraces some twenty-three different
sports. Continuity of policy is assured through a
permanent athletic director and the staff and
alumni representation, but, none-the-less, a very
considerable degree of student autonomy has
been retained. On by far the majority of issues
a unanimity of opinion is achieved and, in such
cases where this has not proven to be possible,
there rarely, if ever, is a straight split along
student-staff  lines.
The major problems the Committee has had
to face have been a falling off of interest in and
support of the Evergreen Conference competition
in the revenue-producing sports and an ensuing
shortage of funds to adequately provide for the
growing minor sports program. These latter considerations and a number of other factors combined to produce a growing weight of opinion
over the past several years that possibly the time
again was at hand for a re-assessment of the
whole athletic situation.
On the bright side of the picture, the situation
with regard to "eligibility" had become much
clearer than it was when M.A.C. was first set up.
In the early 1950s college athletics, particularly in
the United States, appeared to be headed in the
direction of semi-professionalism and some instances of very unfavourable publicity had ensued. Senate /was somewhat concerned that this
over-emphasis on the spectator sports and the
establishment of out-and-out "athletic" scholarships might soon spread to this campus through
our Evergreen Conference contact.
ELIGIBILITY STUDIED
A committee was named to study the whole
matter of "eligibility" and, after a considerable
amount of discussion, a new set of rules was
drafted and the responsibility for their enforcement was vested in M.A.C, with the collaboration
of the registrar's office. Several years of experience seem to have established that the present
formula provides a realistic approach to the problem of over-emphasis on sport at UBC and that
M.A.C. is capable of controlling the situation.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
The  Editor,
UBC  Reports.
We have read with interest your report in the
November 1958 issue of "UBC Report" concerning
the Winnipeg Goldeye being caught in the Ft.
Nelson River. Dr. Lindsey states "it appears to
have surmounted the barrier of the Rocky Mountains and is establishing itself in B.C."
It is humbly suggested that the Zoology Department check with the Geography Department
as the poor fish still had 100 miles of travel from
Ft. Nelson to the west before arriving at the easterly base of the Rock Mountains.
Please be advised that there is a large portion
of the province lying to the east of the Rocky
Mountains.
W. B. STEWART, Agriculture '45.
WM. V. LOWRY, Forestry '51.
THE ONTARIO PLAN
1   m^-^^mi       ii in —iLii'i ■ lit nn urn 11 i »i      in/m     .^ifct—i.fc..
Mixed Reception for
Challenging Aid Plan
(The article which we reproduce "below in abbreviated form appeared
in the December. 1958, edition of the Varsity Graduate, a publication of
the University of Toronto. It was written by the magazine's editor', Mr.
C. G. M. Grier. ivho has given us permission to reproduce it while emphasizing that it is not authoritative. The article summarizes the report
of the President's Committee on Student Aid which was released recently
by the President of the University of Toronto, Dr.  Claude Bissell).
By C. G. M. GRIER,
Editor,  Toronto  Varsity  Graduate
There is a saying that nothing should ever be done for
the first time. The members of the President's Advisory
Committee on Student Aid may have been tempted to reflect
on the truth of this as they have contemplated the mixed
reception which their report "Towards a policy of student
aid" has had.
Parts of Plan Heartily Condemned
It was a challenging report. It
went straight to the heart of whet
is in danger of becoming a chronic socio-economic injustice: in
place of vague generalizations and
platitudes of the past it substituted an explicit plan to make
university training available to
all promising young people in
Ontario.
For this the report was heartily
commended. But in appearing to
readjust some of our traditional
(or habitual) philosophy of education to fit the plan, the report
went too far too fast and portions
of it were as heartily condemned.
The committee was set up eight
months ago. It comprises Dr. M.
G. Ross, vice-president of the
University, chairman; Professor
F. E. W. Wetmore, associate dean
of the Faculty of Arts; Dean J.
A. MacFarlane of the Faculty of
Medicine; Professor D. M. Hayne,
registrar of University College;
Professor B. Laskin of the Faculty of Law; W. S. Wilson, assistant dean and secretary of the
Faculty of Applied Science and
Engineering; W. W. Small, secretary of the Board of Governors,
and J. C. Evans, registrar of the
University.
This committee brought in a
3,500-word report which was approved in principle by the Senate
and released by the President on
November 20th with the comment
Heart of Plan in Three Proposals
that it was unofficial and would
be discussed by all sections of the
University. The report received
immediate and substantial support from the Toronto daily
papers and from other journals
across Canada.
The plan is designed not for
Toronto* alone, but for all the
accredited universities of Ontario. Moreover, it proposes that
the President should confer not
only with the presidents of Ontario universities and with government officials, but with federal officials as well: its ultimate
scope is not parochial but national ...
Few people could find fault
with a proposal to put the universities within reach of all high
school pupils of first rate ability
and with the will to work. But
many found it difficult to dissociate this aspect of the scheme
from certain refinements which
looked like "sweeping changes"—to use the phrase which
appeared  in  early press reports.
The cautious word was taken
for the deed, for instance, when
the report recommended that
"special study be given to the
question of the length of the
University's academic term . . ."
and there was justifiable misgiving about any plan which appeared to put a stop to summer
employment of students without
offering anything to replace it.
The heart of the report is to be
found in the three recommendations which follow:.
1. For students who secure first
class honour standing (an average of 75 percent) in nine Grade
XIII papers, all of which have
been completed in the same calendar year and are suitably distributed as to subject, and related to the admission requirements of the university of their
choice:
(a) Free tuition in the First
Year of University, and free tuition throughout their univeristy
course as long as first class honour standing is maintained;
(b) Bursary aid in an amount
related to each student's financial
need, and not restricted to any
arbitrary amount;
(c) Loans for emergency
financing.
2. For students who secure
second class honour standing in
nine Grade XIII papers, all of
which have been completed in
the same calendar year and are
suitably distributed as to subject
and related to the admission requirements of the University and
Faculty of their choice:
(a) Bursaries available in
amounts related to need, as in
the case of first class honour
students;
(b) Loans for emergency
financing.
If at any point in his university
work such a student secures first
class honour standing he would
receive the privileges outlined
in (1) above.
3. Third class honour students
would not be eligible for help in
any of the above ways. If, however, such a student is admitted
and is able to secure first or second class honour standing in university, he would be eligible for
help as indicated above . . .
May Be Great Educational Document
If the educational system includes the elementary school and
if the plan provides an incentive
to establish a first class syllabus
there, the report may well be included among the great documents of the history of our provincial educational system.
"I talked," said Dr. Murray
Ross "with one boy who, after
six years in a school where he
lived a life of ease, is this year
attending  a fairly tough school
in which he is assigned liberal
doses of homework." The average elementary school syllabus
may help the boy to adjust himself to his environment, but it
does not prepare him for or condition him to the exacting curriculum of high school.
In the early years of most of our
pupils the elementary syllabus is
an outside agent that does very
little for "motivation" and less
to equip them for the future . . . February, 1959
U.B.C. REPORTS
THE FLAPPER ERA will return to UBC on February
26, 27 and 28 when the Musical Society presents its thirtieth
* production, "The Boy Friend," an hilarious musical comedy
of the 1920s set on the French Riviera. Written by Sandy
Wilson, a young Cambridge graduate, and first produced in
1954, it is still playing to full houses in London and New
York. The three goggle-eyed flappers practising above are
(top to bottom.) Gail Morrison, of Victoria, Sheila Lees,
of Vancouver and Deidre Woollett of North Vancouver.
Early Grad Donates Bell
Tower to St. Andrew's
St. Andrew's Hall at UBC has a new 30-foot bell tower
thanks to the generosity of one of the university's earliest
graduates. ^
Miss Annie Graham Hill, of
New Westminster, who graduated from UBC in 1920, donated
New Departments
Created by Senate
UBC's senate has approved the
separation of the departments of
geology and  geography.
Dr. V. J. Okulitch has been
named head of the geology department and Professor J. Lewis
Robinson, who headed the combined departments, now heads
the department of geography.
There will be no physical separation of the departments until
the beginning of the 1959-60
academic term.
funds to build the bell tower
which is dedicated to the memory
of her parents and step-mother.
Her father was Arthur E. B. Hill,
a former B.C. land surveyor and
a pioneer civil engineer.
The Rev. John A. Ross, rector
of St. Andrew's Hall, dedicated
the tower at ceremonies in December attended by students and
friends of Miss Hill.
Miss Hill unveiled a memorial
plaque attached to the tower and
received the key to the rope box.
She, in turn, presented the key
to Mr. Justice A. M. Manson,
chairman of the board of management of St. Andrew's Hall.
The bell, which will be rung
prior to services held in the
chapel of the hall, was first rung
on Christmas Eve.
SUMMER SEMINAR ON INDIA
Public Affairs School
During Summer Session
Extension department officials
iave announced the establishment
f  a  school of public affairs  as
-sart of UBC's summer school of
he arts.
The school will consist of a
number of non-credit courses
and lectures in the field of international and public affairs. A
highlight of the 1959 school will
be a seminar on India.
INNOVATIONS
Other innovations in the extension summer school program
will be courses in communications and dance. The communications section will include courses
on film production, speech, for
broadcasting, television production and acting for television.
Dance courses will be directed
by Jean Erdman, a former member of the Martha Graham dance
company. Courses will include
national dance styles, history of
dance   and  contemporary  dance.
Jacques de Tonnancour of Quebec will be one of several outstanding Canadian artists from
French Canada who will conduct arts and crafts courses.
George Schick will again direct
the summer school of music and
students will participate in
operas and concerts of lieder
and concert literature.
LECTURE   SERIES
A series of lectures and demonstrations toy artists who will
participate in the second Vancouver International Festival is
also being arranged.
Creative Writing
Major Attracts
Student Interest
Eleven students have registered for UBC's new creative writing major, part of the most extensive writing program offered
by any Canadian university.
A total of 46 students were accepted for introductory writing,
play writing and criticism and
fiction writing and criticism.
There is also an advanced composition course open to students
in the writing program.
In order to develop the talent
of potential writers, classes are
limited in s*ize and conducted on
a workshop basis.
Miss Dorothy Somerset of
UBC's department of theatre will
direct the summer school of the
theatre. Among the offerings are
courses in theatre history, scene
design and directing. One of the
summer school's productions will
be included in the Vancouver
Festival program.
CHILDREN'S THEATRE
Guest director will be Dr. Robert Loper, director of the Oregon Shakespeare Theatre and
associate professor of drama at
Stanford University.
Special courses in children's
theatre will be directed by Brian
Way, director of the London
Children's Theatre Company in
England.
A highlight of the summer lecture series will be daily talks
over a period of three weeks by
Canadian author and critic Lister Sinclair. Theme of the program will be orientation in the
arts.
Students of the arts may apply
for Canada Council scholarships
and grants by writing to the Secretary, The Canada Council, 410
Wellington St., Ottawa, Ontario.
PRELIMINARY   BROCHURE
Details concerning fees, scholarships and accommodation available, as well as a preliminary
brochure outlining summer
school offerings, can be obtained
by writing to the UBC extension
department, Vancouver 8, B.C.
GOLDEN JUBILEE HISTORY
STILL AVAILABLE AT $5
Copies of Tuum Est, the Golden Jubilee history of the
University, are still available at the UBC bookstore or
the offices of the Alumni Association in Brock Hall.
The history, written by Col. H. T. Logan, former head
of the department of classics, is a detailed account of the
rise of the University from the time it. was first proposed
in 1872 to the present.
Designed by Vancouver typographer, Robert Reid, the
history also contains a section of photographs, many of
them rare.   Cost of the book is $5.
UBC Opens Health Clinic
for Students7 Children
Grants totalling more than $10,000 have been made to
the University of British Columbia for the establishment of
a child health center for 1,059 children of students.
Dr. James M. Mather, head of* velopment o{ children> Dr. Math-
UBC's department of preventive
medicine, said the clinic will provide examination, immunization
and counselling services for
healthy children only. Parents
with sick children will be referred to their family physician.
The clinic, which began operation in the Wesbrook building on
January 1, also provides undergraduate and postgraduate training for students in medicine,
nursing and social work as well
as instruction facilities for practising physicians and staff of existing baby clinics.
Another function of the clinic
is to carry out fundamental research into the  growth and  de
er said.
Grants for the establishment of
the clinic were made by the federal department of national
health and welfare and the B.C.
Foundation for Child Care, Polio-
myeliUs and Rehabilitation. The
University carried out modifications to the interior of the Wesbrook building to accommodate
the clinic.
In charge of the clinic is Dr.
John H. Read, assistant professor
of preventive medicine and
clinical instructor in paediatrics,
from the University of Michigan.
A social worker and public health
nurse are also on the staff of the
clinic.
GIVEN YEAR'S LEAVE OF ABSENCE
History Professor Tours Commonwealth
Geoffrey O. B. Davies, assistant
to President N. A. M. MacKenzie,
will begin a year-long study tour
of the Commonwealth July 1 on
grants from the Canada Council
and the Carnegie Corporation.
Mr. Davies, who is an associate
professor in the department of
history, will visit New Zealand,
Australia, India, Ceylon, Pakistan, Kenya, South Africa and
Great Britain. Purpose of his
tour is to investigate recent
changes and developments within
the Commonwealth and the new
patterns of political cooperation
between its members.
During his trip he will also
1 lecture at universities in Australia, New Zealand, India, South
Africa and Markerere College in
Uganda. Mr. Davies will also investigate administrative developments at various Commonwealth
universities.
Dr. H. E. Ronimois, department
of Slavonic studies, has been
granted a six-months' leave of
absence as associate professor
to work as a senior research
associate in the Institute for Research at the University of North
Carolina where he will work on
a series of industrial planning
studies.
Dean Henry C. Gunning, head
of the Faculty of Applied Science
since "1953, has resigned to practise as a consulting geologist with
the Anglo-American Corporation, one of the world's major
mining organizations. He is a
graduate of UBC and joined the
UBC faculty in 1939. His permanent business address is Box
1108, Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia.
*       *       *
Dean F. H. Soward, head of the
department of history, left last
December for New Delhi, India,
where he will be visiting professor of Commonwealth history
and institutions at the Indian
school of international studies
until next April. He will return
via Europe, visiting other universities and attending conferences en route.
Professor J. J. Deutsch, head
of the department of economics
and political science, was a member of the Canadian delegation
to the sixth Commonwealth Relations Conference held in Palmer-
ston North, New Zealand, from
January 10 to 24. Conferences
are held every five years. The
group attended under the auspices of the Canadian Institute
of International Affairs.
*       *       *
Sydney Risk, field drama super
visor for University Extension,
has received an award from the
Canadian Drama Award group
for his contribution to Canadian
theatre in 1958. Five other Canadians were similarly honoured.
Professor Frank Noakes, P.Eng.,
head of the department of electrical engineering, has been reelected as a member of the Council of the Association of Professional Engineers of British Columbia. The Council is the governing body of the 2200 registered professional engineers in
the province of British Columbia.
Professor Ian McTaggart Cowan, head of the department of
zoology, has been appointed to
the Pacific Northwest Advisory
Committee of the National Science Planning Board, Century 21
Exposition. He will work with a
group of 11 representatives of
colleges and universities in
Washington, Oregon and Alaska
to coordinate the science planning of the Seattle exhibition
with NSPB members representing universities, science foundations and research foundations
from industry.
Two members of the faculty of
architecture received special
mention in the biennial Massey
Foundation awards. J. Calder
Peeps was honoured for his Lang-
ley Centennial Museum design
for which he did all historical
and archaeological research into
the original fort. Arthur C.
Erickson was mentioned for a
swimming pool cabana and was
a co-winner of a silver cup, with
Geoffrey Massey, for the best
house in Canada. U.B.C. REPORTS
February, 1959
Tons Of Totems Moved
To New Campus Building
Between 40 and 50 tons of totem poles at UBC were
moved from University Boulevard and temporary storage to
their new campus home in Totem Park on Marine drive
at the end of January. ^   A mw buMing  designed for
storage and as a workshop is 60
UBC Needs
Mountains7
of Books
The University of British
Columbia's library still needs
"mountains of books and
manuscripts" to train the
scholars needed to staff the
universities of Canada, librarian Neal Harlow says in his
annual report.
UBC's library is now the third
largest among English speaking
universities in Canada and is
growing as rapidly as any, Mr.
Harlow states in his report to
the University Senate.
"But the difference between its
400,000 volumes and the 1,300,000
of the largest collection (Toronto) is more than one of size—
it is a disparity in research potential," he adds.
MASSIVE COLLECTIONS
UBC needs massive collections
large enough to offer an abundance of opportunities for original
research. "Such libraries attract
people as well as books, for there,
and there only, can a particular
work be done," the report states.
UBC is entering "an important new epoch in scholarly exploration" as a result of the acquisition of the Thomas Murray
collection of Canadiana by the
Friends of the Library," Mr. Harlow states.
"We are now developing prime
research properties in Canadian
studies which will support not
only the light surface mining
carried on by honours and master's students but the deep and
productive works of doctoral candidates and mature scholars."
NEW CONSTRUCTION
The new library wing, now being planned, "comes at a critical
time in the library's history,"
says the report. New construction will make possible a college
library for students in their first
two years, a new Department of
Special Collections, and libraries
in the fields of science and technology, biological sciences and
medicine, the humanities and the
social sciences.
The number of books borrowed
at the library's main loan desk
increased during the year by 18.6
percent to 147,519 volumes, the
report states. The library also
added 30.258 volumes to its book
stock and spent a total of $190,-
496.88 for new books and periodicals and binding.
FUNDS  INCREASE
During the past five years, while
enrolment increased 67 percent,
book funds and book loans increased 55 percent. During the
same period there was an increase of 100 percent in the number of volumes catalogued and
added to the library collection,
feet long and 30 feet wide with
windows large enough to permit
visitors to see the totems.
FRAGILE TOTEMS
The more fragile of the ancient
totems, which range from 70 to
100 years of age, have been under shelter on the campus.
The poles were purchased by
the University and the Provincial
Museum and transported to UBC
from isolated and deserted villages in the Queen Charlotte Islands and northern Vancouver
Island.
"Age and years of exposure
now make it necessary to shelter
the poles in order to prolong
their life, as no preservative
measures can now be taken," says
Professor Harry Hawthorne, head
of the department of anthropology.
"Now, while safely stored, the
totems may be copied by tribal
experts," he explained. "About
12 years ago. Dr. Hunter Lewis
and others started a program of
copying and making new poles
under Chief Mungo Martin who
has been carrying out this same
work at Thunderbird Park in Victoria.
EXPAND TOTEM  PARK
"Copying these poles would be
the first step in expanding the
present Totem Park to include a
replica of a Haida village and a
Salish village along with the present Kwakiutl collection.
"There are about 30 major carvings of which copies can be properly treated for preservation and
ultimate housing iu a suitable
museum."
Eight Vacancies
For European Tour
Only eight places remain to be
filled in the extension department's 39-day tour of Europe
which begins May 1,
The tour has been arranged in
conjunction with the department's evening course entitled
"The Traveller's Europe." a
series of lectures designed to enable the traveller to plan an informative itinerary and obtain
data on the countries to be visited.
Group will fly to Amsterdam
on the polar flight and will visit
West Germany, Switzerland, Italy.
France, Belgium and England.
Total cost, which includes meals,
accommodation and guided tours
of cities, is $1,260.60.
Further information can be obtained by calling or writing to the
tour conductor, Miss Katherine
Brearley, of the department of
romance studies at UBC.
William G. Dixon, head of the
school of social work, was a member of the Canadian delegation
to the ninth International Conference of Social Work held in
Tokyo from November 30 to December 6.
CAREY HALL, UBC's fifth theological College, will
house 40 students in two dormitory blocks when completed. Named for famed Orientalist and missionary William-Carey, the modern building will be located on Wes-
brook Crescent at the eastern end of the theological area.
Eventually the residence will be expanded to seven
buildings and will include a chapel and residence for the
principal.
Extension Brief Urges
Free Hand for Schools
Four of B.C.'s secondary schools should be given a free
hand in planning their curriculum for an experimental period
of four years, the University of British Columbia's extension
department has proposed in a brief to the Royal Commission
on Education. *	
Victoria College
Teachers Awarded
Doctorates
Under the extension proposals
the schools would be released
from the prescribed curriculum
and province-wide tests and examinations for a four-year period.
"It seems apparent," the brief
explains, "that many teachers
feel as though they were tightly
controlled from some central
point, and that they have little
choice in the determination of
curriculum or the variation of
teaching."
TELEVISION   EXPERIMENTS
The brief also recommends that
the school system, in co-operation
with the university, experiment
with television including the
production of special material for
use in schools.
The province should establish
a body representing government,
industry and business, union
officers and teachers to increase
the supply of information regarding employment and vocational
opportunities, the brief states.
This body would advise on the
last two years of the non-university secondary program and
investigate bridging the gap between graduation and satisfactory employment.
NIGHT   SCHOOLS
An adult education division
should be established by the department of education with explicit responsibilities for night
schools, the brief says. The department should also increase the
grants towards the salaries of
night' school directors to "remove the taint of impermanence"
which such positions now possess.
The brief also criticizes the
"rigid time schedule" within
which night schools tend to operate.
Two faculty members of Victoria College completed the requirements for their doctorates
in the fall of 1958.
In October, George E. Cross
received his Ph.D. in mathematics from UBC, and in December Geoffrey P. Mason received a Ph.D. in educational psychology from Washington State
College in Pullman. Dr. Cross
was a graduate teaching assistant in the department of mathematics at UBC from 1954 to 1956.
Dr. Mason led the psychology
class when he graduated from
UBC in 1952.
i£ *£ sH
The addition to the Ewing
building is nearing completion.
New offices and classrooms, the
new Union Room and additional
library space will alleviate somewhat the great overcrowding at
the College.
Victoria College has also acquired the Dunlop property on
Lansdowne Road. Ex-students
will remember the fine gardens
and large residence, which are to
be used for expanded activities
of the faculty and student body.
*       *       *
The Summer Session committee, under the direction of Professor Hugh Farquhar, is planning a full summer program, including more upper level courses
than were given last year. The
refresher -course for teachers
will also be given. Again there
will be many visiting professors
from the United States and other
Canadian universities." A complete syllabus will be published
shortly and mailed upon request.
Help Needed
In Locating
UBC Grads
Current addresses of hundreds
of UBC graduates are unknown
to the Alumni Association although large numbers have been
located through the interest of
readers of this column.
If you know the whereabouts of
any of the graduates listed below
send their current address to the
Information Office on the slip at
the bottom of this page.
Kathleen Muriel Greenwood
BA 33; Jack L. Gregory BSP 49;
George Kenneth Gregson BCom
48; Arthur Jim Griffith BA 53;
Ernest Douglas Grocock BSA 50.
Derek E. Groom BCom 50; Leslie J Groome MA 48; Godfrey
F. C. Groves BASc 26; Albert
Henry Gurney BA 51.
Mary Alice Hagen BA 37; Gordon Wm. Hall BA 36; Allan. Ham-
berg BA 51, BASc 52; Donald
Ross Hamilton MA 52; Dorothy
H. Hamilton BA; 42; John T.
Hamilton BA 50; Selma D. Hamilton BSW 52; Julius Hammerslag
BASc 46.
Wm. D. Handling BA 48; Earle
D. Hanson BSP 50; Mary Victoria
Hanson BA 48; John Harder BA
50; Lyle E. Hardy BCom 48.
Mrs. W. K. Hardy (Alice M.
Knott) BA 31; Marion E. Har-
greaves BA 30; Joyce A. Harman
BA 46; Esther Louise Harper
BA. 50; Shirley M. Harris BA 48,
BSW 49; George Ernest Harrison
BASc 39; Wm. E. Harrison BA 29;
Ernest C. Harvey BCom 41; BA
42.
Malvern Harvey BA 50; John
Henry Hassett BA 50; Donald A.
Hatfield BA 50; Ross Hatte BASc
45; Wilbert Martin Haugan BSW
46; Arthur Stanley Hawkes BA
41.
Mrs. Arthur S. Hawkes (Linda
Smith) BA 36; Sidney John
Hawkshaw BA 48; Rex R. Hayes
BSP 51; Mrs. E. T. B. Heathcote
(Barbara J. MacAskill) BCom 47.
Anne A. Henderson BA 26;
Kenneth David Henderson BASc
49; Eiko Henmi BA 39; Earl Herman  Hennenfent BA 49.
Charles J. C. Henniker BASc
38; Harold Henry Herd BA 34,
MA 40; Lucienne B. Hertig BA
47; Marjorie Heslop BA 48; Margaret H. Hewett. BA 42; Edward
Lome Hewson BA 48; Robert J.
Hibberson BA 45; Joseph R. Hill
BCom 47.
Sopron Celebrates
150th Anniversary
UBC's Hungarian students will
celebrate the 150th anniversary
of the establishment of Sopron
University in March or early
April.
Celebrations will take the form
of an evening of entertainment
and short addresses in Brock
Hall. It will be open to the public. The Sopron students fled
their homeland in 1956 during the
Hungarian   uprising.
This space for information  office  use
Please Cut On This Line
Please correct your address below if necessary.
Please clip along dotted line and return to:
THE INFORMATION OFFICE
University of B.C., Vancouver 8.
Do you know any of the graduates named above} Please
list- below:
Name      	
Mr. N. Harlow,
Library,
CAMPUS.
FA
Authorized as Second Class Mail,
Post Office Department, Ottawa.
Return  Postage Guaranteed.
Address
Name	
Address.

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
https://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.ubcreports.1-0117828/manifest

Comment

Related Items