UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Library News 1973

Item Metadata


JSON: ubclibnews-1.0213326.json
JSON-LD: ubclibnews-1.0213326-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): ubclibnews-1.0213326-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: ubclibnews-1.0213326-rdf.json
Turtle: ubclibnews-1.0213326-turtle.txt
N-Triples: ubclibnews-1.0213326-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: ubclibnews-1.0213326-source.json
Full Text

Full Text

Although there is no shortage of library handbooks and other printed guides at U.B.C, they all have
one thing in common; they were written primarily for students. We hope this guide will meet the demand
for a complete and up-to-date faculty handbook that will supplement the more basic information given in
our other publications.  For budgetary reasons it is being distributed as an issue of the u.B.c. Library News.
A wide variety of services is available from reference divisions and major branch libraries.  (Local
conditions may influence the extent to which more specialized reference services can be provided,
especially in the smaller branch libraries.) Among those which most divisions can offer are the following:
1. Answers to factual queries. A phone call to the appropriate division may quickly provide you with an
2. Brief selective bibliographies compiled at your request.
3. Assistance in the preparation of research papers. This may take the form of assisting with literature
searches, verifying references or facts and assistance with bibliographical questions.
4. Provision of bibliographic talks to classes emphasizing pertinent and useful reference items in a given
5. Selective monthly listings of recently catalogued books.  These are based on interest profiles which
reference staff will prepare for individual faculty members or for groups with common interests.
Profiles are run against the Library's computerized records of accessions.
6. Informal interest profiles may also be maintained for individual faculty members so that reference staff
may pass on information about articles of interest published in journals or other sources not covered in
item 5.
Within the Main Library there are three major reference divisions - Science, Humanities and Social
Sciences - plus specialized reference service for Fine Arts, Asian Studies, Government Publications, Maps
and Special Collections. In addition, each branch library offers reference assistance in its subject area.
While  reference   staff  members   can  provide  assistance   in any of the subject areas their division
encompasses, there may be occasions when more specialized assistance is needed. To help you find the
reference staff member most able to assist, some of the staff with special responsibilities are listed below:
FINE ARTS DIVISION (Division Head: Melva J. Dwyer, x4959)
Melva J. Dwyer (x4959) - Book selection.
Diana Kraetschmer (x2720) - Fine Arts; Architecture.
Joan Whitney (x2720) - Community & Regional Planning.
Suzanne Dodson (x3858 or 2584) - Microforms: collections and equipment.
Connie Fitzpatrick (x2584) - U.S. federal and state publications; pollution.
Mary Lubbe (x2584) - Foreign publications.
Pam Piddington (x2584) - Canadian federal and provincial, UN, international organizations, and
municipal publications.
HUMANITIES DIVISION (Division Head: Chuck Forbes, x2411)
Jennifer Gallup (x2411) - English Language and Literature; American, German, Spanish Literature.
Joan Sandilands  (x2411) -Theatre; Philosophy; Classical Studies; Comparative Literature; Canadian
History and Literature; French Language and Literature.
Les Karpinski (x2411) - History; Religious Studies; Linguistics; Slavonic Language and Literature.
Maria Horvath (x2411) - East European Language, Literature and History; German Language; Medieval
History; Sectarian Christianity. SCIENCE DIVISION (Division Head: Rein Brongers, x3826)
Rein Brongers (x3826 or 3295) - Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, and Mineral Engineering.
Ron Clancy (x3295) - Chemistry; Chemical Engineering; Metallurgy.
David Thomas (x3295) - Geosciences.
Jim Henderson (x3295 or 2667) - Mathematics; Physics.
SOCIAL SCIENCES DIVISION (Division Head: Lois Carrier, x3155)
Laine Ruus (x2725) - Anthropology; Machine Readable Quantitative Data Archives.
Barbara Pearce (2725) - Commerce & Business Administration.
Marilyn Dutton (x2725) - Economics; Education; Physical Education.
Lois Carrier (x3155 or 2725) - Geography.
Iza Laponce (x2725) - Political Science.
Dorothy Martin (x2725) - Psychology; Sociology.
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS (Division Head: Anne Yandle, x4879)
Anne Yandle (x4879) - Rare books, especially Pacific Northwest history.
Laurenda Daniells (x2521) - University archives.
Frances Woodward (x2521) - Early maps and historical cartography.
George Brandak (x2521) - Manuscript collections.
Joan Selby (x2310) - Colbeck collection of 19th C. English lit.
WOODWARD LIBRARY (Division Head: Anna Leith, x2762)
Heather Keate (x-3393) - Basic Medical Sciences.
Bill Parker (x5553)  '
David Robinson (x4440)       °   ^
Diana Kent (x4440) - Dentistry.
Barbara Gibson (x4447) - History of Science and Medicine.
Peg Leighton (x4440) - Nursing.
Joyce Davidson (x4440) - Pharmacy
In  keeping with Senate policy, the Library maintains a centralized acquisitions program and takes
general responibility for the development of collections and the expenditure of book funds.
In this program the University Library is assisted by the Senate Library Committee, by deans and
department heads, and by all persons interested in Library affairs.
Essentially the book fund is composed of two parts: that controlled by the Library, and that controlled
by the academic departments.
The Library is responsible for the purchase of current books, reference books, research materials,
government publications, and backfiles of periodicals. It also takes responsibility for the purchase and
renewal of periodical subscriptions.
The   academic   departments   concentrate on the purchase of older materials which they feel are
necessary to support the courses they are offering. Each department appoints from its members a faculty
library representative who is expected to see that his department's allocation and any other funds at its
disposal are spent wisely each year.
All   requests  for books to be ordered should be submitted on the order forms available from the
Acquisitions Division.  The completed forms should be sent, preferably through the Department's Library
Representative, to the Bibliographic Searching Division of the Main Library.
If the order was compiled from publishers' blurbs and catalogues, please include these lists with the
completed request forms.  This type of material often provides additional information useful for ordering
from   the supplier. Only out-of-print catalogues should be marked and submitted, through the Library
Representative, without order forms.
If  you  are ordering books for a branch library collection, the completed request forms should be
sent to that branch. 2. PERIODICAL ORDERING
If you wish to order a periodical subscription for inclusion in a library's collection, please see the
head of the reference division or branch library responsible for that subject area.
Back runs of periodicals may be requested through Mr. G. Elliston, the Serials Bibliographer in the
Collections Division (local 2304).
Publications of the B.C. government and the federal and United States governments are acquired on a
deposit basis by the Library. If you wish to order documents from other areas for inclusion in the collection,
please submit an order to the Government Publications Division, Main Library.
A. M.A.   Theses
It is not library policy to buy M.A. theses. They may usually be borrowed on interlibrary loan for
specific research pursuits.
B. Ph.D.   Dissertations
It  is not library policy generally to buy Ph.D. dissertations for the Library's collections. In those
relatively few cases where a particular dissertation is an outstanding monograph on the subject, it may be
bought, usually on microfilm, through the Acquisitions Division and subsequently added to the Library
collection. On the authorization of the departmental library representative and the Assistant Librarian
for Collections, the departmental library allocation is charged for such purposes.
Dissertations may also be acquired through interlibrary loan, but the costs of microfilm or photocopy
in this case will not be met from Library book funds, nor will the dissertation be added to the Library. It
will instead be considered the property of the individual placing the request.
Abstracts of doctoral dissertations, with prices and order information, can be found in Dissertation
Abstracts. A full set is shelved in the Ridington Room (Social Sciences and Humanities Reference Divisions,
Main Library).
The bibliographers in the Collections Division are mainly concerned with the field of current publishing,   and  they  try to ensure that essential materials are purchased as they become available. They
maintain close contact with the dealers who supply books on "blanket" or "approval" contracts. Under these
arrangements, booksellers in various countries send selected materials to the Library.
The bibliographers' main responsibility is to ensure that the Library's acquisition of current material
is comprehensive and balanced. They are also concerned with correcting weaknesses in the existing collection, and they welcome suggestions which assist them in this task.
The  following  guide   lists the personnel of the Collections Division and describes the areas they
1. (Mr.) R.M. Hamilton, Assistant Librarian for Collections Local 2740
Head of the Division; answers queries regarding general policy, allocation of funds, etc.
2. (Mr.) G. Elliston, Serials Bibliographer Local 2304
With the cooperation of library personnel and departmental library representatives, attends to
all matters involved in the acquisition of periodical backfiles. Identifies gaps in the collection,
scans catalogues and lists, compiles want-lists, and approves purchase of materials through the
Research Periodicals Fund.
3. (Miss) E.Mercer,Bibliographer Local3748
Supervises the approval purchase of all current humanities and social sciences publications
issued  in  Canada   (both English and French language), in the United States (English language
only), and in Britain (English language only).
4. (Miss) D. Shields, Bibliographer Local 3748
Supervises the blanket order program and orders for current books from Austria, Belgium,
France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands (publications in languages other than Dutch), Spain and
Switzerland. Notable exclusions are the proceedings of congresses and symposia.
5. (Mrs.) G. LaPonce, Bibliographer Local 2725
Supervises the approval purchase of all current Slavic language materials. This includes those
published abroad by emigre presses as well as those published in the U.S.S.R., Poland,
Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.
6. (Mr.) Jack Mcintosh Local 4363
Supervises the acquisition of science and technology materials in all areas except bio-medical.
This includes the fields of agriculture, astronomy, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology,
mathematics and physics.
7. (Dr.) R.A. Jeffreys, Life Sciences Bibliographer Local 2884
Supervises the acquisition of all materials which will be located in the Woodward Biomedical Library. This   covers   all the health sciences, biology, biochemistry and home economics.
Library cards are issued to faculty members upon application. If you do not yet have a card, please
apply at the Circulation Division Office just off the Main Library entrance hall.
Please note also that once a library card has been issued, it must be validated annually.  This is done
by presenting the card at the Circulation Office. Validation of a card takes only a few minutes.
A faculty member's spouse is entitled to a "B" library card upon application to the Circulation Office.
This card entitles the borrower to the same loan privileges given to UBC supporting staff.
Holders of faculty library cards may borrow material for the following periods:
Two weeks, following which books are subject to immediate recall if
requested by another reader. Any home use books which you wish to keep
for a longer period of time will have to be returned or renewed in August,
December and May.
Home  use books will be called in from faculty only after the normal
two-week loan period has elapsed and only if another borrower has
requested the material.   Since the requestor may be working on a tighter
schedule   than  you  are,   the item should be returned to the Circulation
Division's Main Loan Desk immediately. Arrangements can be made at
the same time to have the book returned to you as soon as it comes back
to the Library.
Two hours to one week, as indicated in back of book.
Two weeks, renewable.
For use in the building only.
Two weeks, renewable.
-Current journals do not circulate until one month after receipt.
-Newspapers do not circulate.
-Fine Arts and Curriculum Laboratory journals have an overnight loan
-Music and Law serials, library use only.
Because of heavy use of Woodward Library journals, a shorter loan period
has been proposed and may be implemented on a trial basis starting January
1, 1974.  Any such changes will be announced in the Library News.
As an aid to planning assignments, it might be useful to note that all full-time
students may borrow books on a two week renewable basis, and that
periodicals are available to graduate students on a one week, non-renewable
loan, to undergraduates on an overnight, renewable-once loan, and may
not be borrowed by those using an Extra-Mural borrowers card.
During the end-of-term call-ins in August and December, you may renew your Main Library books by
mail  or  by  calling  local   3115. However, books must be returned to the Library in May for the annual
inventory. At  this   time,   books you wish to charge out again will be renewed while you wait, or, if you
prefer, returned to you by Library Delivery.
These   are available for the convenience of a faculty member who may wish to have a secretary or
other person pick up Main Library material for him. Materials loaned are for his use alone, and he is
responsible for them. Authorization cards do not cover such services as Library Delivery.
Your authorization card may be used for a maxium of one academic year (i.e. September 1 till August
31). If you wish to continue using the card after the end of August, it should be validated by the staff in the
Circulation Division. Please contact them at locals 3869 or 3115 for more information.
N.B.     The preceding notes apply  to the Main Library only,   except where noted.     You may
find that branch libraries  differ in  their loan policies and circulation services.
However,  most branches issue  their own printed guides which cover these areas in
detail. - 5 -
The following sections apply  to all  libraries in  the system.
This service allows a faculty member to have library books signed out in his name and delivered to a
delivery station near his office. To have material sent to you in this way, phone the Main Library's delivery
service (local 2854) or a branch library as appropriate. The staff will locate the material for you, sign
it  out in your name, and send it as soon as possible to the nearest delivery station. Your departmental
secretary can tell you where this is located.
Please don't borrow material signed out to someone else, or lend out items you have borrowed, without
notifying the library concerned. Unless the loan records are changed, the original borrower is regarded
as responsible for any overdue or lost items.
Currently there are 21 coin-operated machines in the Main and branch libraries. The Main Library's
photocopiers   are  located  inside the stack entries on levels 3, 5 and 6, and in the Fine Arts and Asian
Studies Divisions.  The following branches also have machines: Sedgewick, Woodward, Law, MacMillan,
Marjorie Smith (Social Work), Biomedical Branch, Music and the Curriculum Laboratory. The cost of
photocopies made on most of these machines is 5<? for a 9-1/2" x 14" exposure.
In addition to the coin-operated machines, staff are on duty in the Xerox Room at the rear of the Main
Library's entrance hall to do copying for you. Theyprovide this service between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday
to Saturday, at the cost of 10<? per 10" x 14" exposure.    '—
The  Xerox  Room   staff  can  also make offset masters at 15<? for a 10" x 15" page, or 8-1/2" x 11"
transparencies for overhead projectors at a charge of 35£ apiece. Any suitable material for photocopying
can be used for masters and transparencies.
A number of departments have opened accounts with the library copy service. Your departmental
secretary can tell you whether your department has an account to which you may charge Xeroxing, and also
whether any limit has been set on spending. Requisitions are necessary to open an account; again, please
see your departmental secretary.
For   information  on opening personal accounts, or for any further details about charging Xerox
services, please call the Xerox staff at local 2854.
Materials not available on this campus may often be borrowed from other libraries through interlibrary
loan. While it is recommended that candidates for advanced degrees undertake research in areas where
U.B.C.'s library collections are strong, the terms of the Interlibrary Loan Code allow us to supplement
our own resources by borrowing for faculty and graduate students from other libraries.
Exceptions generally include: books currently in print, reference books, materials in constant use in
the lending library, exceptionally rare or fragile items, and works which are difficult or expensive to ship.
Periodicals and dissertations are usually not available for loan, but may be purchased in Xerox copies or
on microfilm.
The following policies are, for the most part, those set out in the International Interlibrary Loan Code.
This code is designed to protect large lending libraries from overuse and unreasonable demands by smaller
A, Who May Use the Interlibrary Loan Service?
In accordance with the national policy, materials may be borrowed for the use of faculty, graduate
students, and authorized research personnel. Locally, however, arrangements have been made for
increased use of interlibrary loan services by undergraduates if the material is available from
Simon Fraser University or The University of Victoria. Any student may borrow materials free
of charge from the Center for Research Libraries collection.  For more information, please visit
the Interlibrary Loan Office near the Main Library's subject catalogue, or phone the staff at local
B. Applications
Interlibrary loan request forms are available at the Interlibrary Loan Office and at all reference
desks in the Main and branch libraries. Your requests should be typed or legibly printed, and
should include full bibliographical data as well as a published source of reference. Members of
the reference departments will assist you in every way possible with identification of materials
needed for research. C. Terms of Loan
The loan period and conditions of use are determined by the library from which the material was
Please pick up and return items personally.   Thisshouldbe done at the Interlibrary Loan Office
or the appropriate branch library.
These were created to meet the need for small library collections and suitable reading space close to
faculty offices. Reading rooms are maintained primarily for the benefit and convenience of particular departments, although the quarters and collections are available to the entire university on a "need to use"
basis. Use   of   reading  room  material  by  non-department  personnel  is usually governed by the same
restrictions that apply to users within the department. Holdings of all library-operated reading rooms are
represented in the Main Card Catalogue.
A department head who wishes to form a reading room should take a proposal to the dean of his faculty.
The UBC Data Library, which holds files of quantitative data in machine-readable form, is located in
Room 447 of the Civil Engineering Building (telephone 5587). The facility is operated jointly by the Library
and the Computing Centre. Data Library and its services are available to all members of the University
Community and, with restrictions, to those outside of UBC.
The Data Library currently holds circa 550files, a number of codebooks of studies for which the files
can be   obtained,  catalogues   of the holdings of other data archives and a file of some 4000 studies in
machine-readable form, which can be obtained on request, including files of "textual studies". The library
is a member of the Inter-University Consortium for Political Research, the Roper Public Opinion Research
Center and the Canadian Consortium for Social Research. Subscriptions are maintained to International
Financial Statistics time series, Canadian Socio-Economic Information Management Systems (CANSIM)
time series and for the 1972 Canadian Census data in machine-readable form.
The  Data  Library publishes an annual catalogue with periodic supplements and additions to the
collection. Data news items are published in the Computing Centre Newsletter (monthly).
The  Data  Library  will  undertake to acquire data files for faculty and to investigate sources of
available data.  Faculty are invited to deposit documented files of machine-readable data resulting from
their research in the Data Library.  (Limitations imposed upon the use of deposited data by the donor will
be observed.)
For information on the use of datafiles and services, contact the Data Librarian (local 5587) or Laine
Ruus, Data Reference Librarian, Social Sciences Division (local 2725).
As far as possible, the Library makes available to students materials which are included on reading
lists   or   suggested  as course reading. This process is simplified if faculty members comply with the
following suggestions:
A. Be sure the Library has the items on your reading list. If it does not, order the material well in
advance of assigning the readings to your class.
B. Provide enough bibliographic information on class reading lists to make identification of the items
possible without undue frustration on the part of the students and/or library staff. The following
guide should help with the basic information needed on these lists:
i)    AUTHOR'S NAME should always be given in full, since the public catalogue does not have a
title card for every work.
ii)  A KEY should be provided to any acronyms, initialisms or abbreviations used in the list.
iii) Supply COMPLETE REFERENCES FOR PERIODICAL ARTICLES.  These should give the full
title, volume number and date of the periodical, with the author, title and paging of the article
to be read.
iv) REFERENCES FOR COLLECTED WORKS should include the title of the book and the full name
of its editor or compiler, along with the author, title and paging of the section to be read.
government department. Avoid confusion - include all this information in our entry.
vi) FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF with the library reserving and course processing procedure described below. - 7 -
Special provisions are made by the Library for those non-textbook readings which are assigned to all
students in a course. When requested by a faculty member, or when demand for an item becomes heavy,
course books are placed "on reserve", i.e. on short term loan. Duplicate copies are often provided to make
it easier for all students to complete their required reading assignments. Short loan periods should be
restricted to material which is required reading for the whole class.
Reserve books are housed in the Main Library, Sedgewick or another branch library, depending on the
course for which they are reserved. Branches and divisions concerned with particular subject fields house
materials for courses in those areas.  Thus, reserve books for music will be found in the Music Library,
ones  for  fine   arts in the Fine Arts Division, etc. The staff in these subject-specialized branches and
divisions can give you full information if you wish to place material on reserve with them.
The two major areas where reserve books are held are:
A.  Sedgewick Library
-Undergraduate arts  (humanities and social sciences) course numbered
-Mathematics, science and applied science courses numbered 100-299.
B   Main Library Reserve
Book Collection
-Education (except material on the methodology of education, held in the
Curriculum Laboratory)
-Graduate arts courses
-Physical education
-Science  and  applied  science   courses   number 300 and above, except
mathematics (Mathematics Library) and biomedical sciences (Woodward
Placing books on reserve for undergraduate courses is only part of the work with which Sedgewick's
Course Processing staff is concerned.  Faculty members should be aware of the other procedures involved
in placing course books on the shelves. These include:
-Searching library holdings for all faculty course requests
-Placing orders for material when necessary
-Listing course items in a public course file for student use
-Listing all items in a computer printout course list; sending copies and updates to appropriate faculty
-Adjusting length of loan periods on items when necessary.  (Sedgewick loan periods may be one week,
one day or two hours, depending on demand for the material.)
-Reprinting copies of journal articles when Sedgewick does not carry the desired journal.  (Copying is
done within restrictions imposed by limited staff and copyright regulations.)
Sedgewick's Course Processing staff sends each faculty member a printout listing materials currently
used in his course. This list is sent in March and September for the following winter session. On a separate
form, the faculty member is asked to indicate which titles are to remain on the list, to add citations for
new  material  he  will   need in the following session, and to designate "required", "recommended" and
"suggested" readings.
Faculty members who have course material on reserve in this collection are sent their book lists
and forms in April for the next winter session. Procedures followed in getting the books on the shelf are
much the same as for Sedgewick material.
Please  try  to return your completed forms to Sedgewick or the Reserve Book Collection well in
advance of the session for which the items are required'.  Experience has shown that it often takes
eight weeks or more for orders to be filled by vendors when the books are not available at U.B.C.
For extra-sessional credit courses given on campus, please follow the same procedures as for
regular daytime classes. The students in these courses receive regular library cards which entitle them
to use campus libraries on the same basis as other students.
For off-campus extra-sessional courses and correspondence courses, books are provided by mail
through the Extension Library (operated by the Main Library's Reserve Book Collection). Instructors of
these courses should send their lists of required books to the Extension Library as early as possible to
ensure that the material will be available when classes begin.
Students at all levels are offered a variety of opportunities to learn about the holdings and use of the U.B.C. libraries. Faculty members can play an important role in library orientation by making sure their
classes are aware of these programs, and by taking advantage of the subject-related instruction offered by
most campus libraries.
1. GENERAL TOURS are offered at the beginning of each session. These provide students with a
general introduction to the library system, and concentrate on the libraries undergraduates will
be using most: Main and Sedgewick.
2. FIRST AND SECOND-YEAR CLASS TOURS also give basic information on library use. However,
each tour stresses the library materials and services that relate to the particular subject area or
project the group is working on. Tours are available at any time of year, and are organized by
Miss Shelley Criddle (local 4908) in Sedgewick, and Elsie de Bruijn (local 2076) in Main.
3. THIRD-YEAR, FOURTH-YEAR AND GRADUATE TOURS cover more advanced subject material and
bibliographic procedures.  For more information, please contact the appropriate Main Library
reference division or branch library.
4. SELF-HELP AIDS AND PUBLICATIONS allow students to learn about the campus libraries at their
own speed. Main Library aids include a three-dimensional model of the building: detailed
instruction signs mounted on all Main Card Catalogue cabinets; and a variety of publications dealing
with the location and use of Main Library materials. Other printed guides are available to describe
the locations, holdings and services of branch libraries.
Some faculty members may wish to place this type of material on reference for a short time as a
guide to style, construction, etc. This can be done through the Sedgewick Library; to make arrangements,
phone   local  2639. Policies of other libraries and reference divisions vary, since many have little or no
room for material that is not part of the permanent collection.
Contrary to popular belief, no campus library keeps back copies of examinations.   However, the
Student Services Office keeps copies of all papers which faculty members have released for student use;
this collection runs to about 30 volumes. If you wish to make copies of former exams available to students,
Student Services would be happy to add them to this set.
Student Services are located in the Ponderosa Annex F, behind the Ponderosa Cafeteria on the West
The Main Library's Special Collections Division receives numerous requests for these publications
from readers at U.B.C, and elsewhere in Canada. Faculty and staff are urged to deposit copies of their
monographs, offprints and articles with the Division regularly so that it can continue this important service.
More information is available from the Archivist at local 2521.
All campus libraries are anxious to know about any problems their users may have. If you or your
students have had difficulties with any part of the U.B.C, library system, the person to call is:
Mr. D. Mclnnes,
Head of Public Services,
Main Library (local 2396)
Editor: Tom Eadie Information & Orientation Division


Citation Scheme:


Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics



Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            async >
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:


Related Items