UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Library News 1971

Item Metadata


JSON: ubclibnews-1.0213321.json
JSON-LD: ubclibnews-1.0213321-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): ubclibnews-1.0213321-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: ubclibnews-1.0213321-rdf.json
Turtle: ubclibnews-1.0213321-turtle.txt
N-Triples: ubclibnews-1.0213321-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: ubclibnews-1.0213321-source.json
Full Text

Full Text

Although there is no shortage of library handbooks and other printed guides at U.B.C, they all have one thing in common:
they were written primarily for students. We hope this guide will meet the demand for a complete and up-to-date faculty handbook
that will supplement the more basic information given in our other publications. For budgetary reasons it is being distributed as an
issue of the U.B.C. Library News. However, this guide could be reissued in a more permanent form if there is enough demand.
Your comments on both the content and format would be much appreciated. A short questionnaire has been included at
the end of the text.
In keeping with Senate policy, the Library maintains a centralized acquisitions program and takes general responsibility
for the development of collections and the expenditure of book funds.
In this program the University Librarian is assisted by the Senate Library Committee, by deans and department heads, and
by all persons interested in Library affairs.
Essentially the book fund is composed of two parts: that controlled by the Library, and that controlled by the academic
The Library is responsible for the purchase of current books, reference books, research materials, government publications,
and backfiles of periodicals. It also takes responsibility for the purchase and renewal of periodical subscriptions.
The academic departments concentrate on the purchase of older materials which they feel are necessary to support the
courses they are offering. Each department appoints from its members a faculty library representative who is expected to see that
his department's allocation and any other funds at its disposal are spent wisely each year.
All requests for books to be ordered should be submitted on the order forms available from the Librarian's Office. The
completed forms should be sent to the Bibliographic Searching Section of the Main Library.
If the order was compiled from publisher's blurbs and catalogues, please include these lists with the completed order. This
type of material often provides additional information useful for ordering from the supplier. Please do not send marked catalogues
without order forms!
If you are ordering books for a branch library collection, the completed order forms should be sent to that branch.
If you wish to order a periodical subscription for inclusion in a library's collection, please see the head of the reference
division or branch library responsible for that subject area.
Back runs of periodicals may be requested through Mr. G. Elliston, the Serials Bibliographer in the Collections Division
(local 2304).
Publications of the B.C. government and the federal and United States governments are acquired on a deposit basis by the
Library. If you wish to order documents from other areas for inclusion in the collection, please submit an order to the Government
Publications Division, Main Library.
A.     M.A. Theses
It is not library policy to buy M.A. theses. They may usually be borrowed on interlibrary loan for specific research pursuits. B.      Ph.D. Dissertations
It is not library policy generally to buy Ph.D. dissertations for the Library's collections. In those relatively few cases where
a particular dissertation is an outstanding monograph on the subject, it may be bought, usually on microfilm, through the
Acquisitions Division and subsequently added to the Library collection. On the authorization of the departmental library   (
representative and the Assistant Librarian for Collections, the departmental library allocation is charged for such purposes.
Dissertations may also be acquired through interlibrary loan, but the costs of microfilm or photocopy in this case will not
be met from Library book funds, nor will the dissertation be added to the Library. It will instead be considered the property of the individual placing the request.
Abstracts of doctoral dissertations, with prices and order information, can be found in Dissertation Abstracts.  A full set
is shelved in the Ridington Room (Social Sciences and Humanities Reference Divisions, Main Library).
The bibliographers in the Collections Division are mainly concerned with the field of current publishing, and they try to ensure that essential materials are purchased as they become available. They maintain close contact with the dealers who supply books
on "blanket" or "approval" contracts. Under these arrangements, booksellers in various countries send selected materials to the
The bibliographers' main responsibility is to ensure that the Library's acquisition of current material is comprehensive and
balanced. They are also concerned with correcting weaknesses in the existing collection, and they welcome suggestions which assist
them in this task.
The following guide lists the personnel of the Collections Division and describes the areas they supervise:
1. (Mr.) R.M. Hamilton, Assistant Librarian for Collections Local 2740
Head of the Division; answers queries regarding general policy, allocation of funds, etc.
2. (Mr.) G. Elliston, Serials Bibliographer Local 2304
With the cooperation of library personnel and departmental library representatives, attends to all matters involved in
the acquisition of periodical backfiles. Identifies gaps in the collection, scans catalogues and lists, compiles want-lists,
and approves purchase of materials through the Research Periodicals Fund.
3. (Miss) E. Mercer, Bibliographer Local 3748
Supervises the approval purchase of all current humanities and social sciences publications issued in Canada (both
English and French language), in the United States (English language only), and in Britain (English language only).
4. (Miss) D. Shields, Bibliographer Local 3748
Supervises the blanket order program and orders for current books from Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy,
the Netherlands (publications in languages other than Dutch), Spain and Switzerland. Notable exclusions are
East German publications and the proceedings of congresses and symposia.
5. (Mrs.) G. LaPonce, Bibliographer Local 2725
Supervises the approval purchase of all current Slavic language materials. This includes those published abroad by
emigre presses as well as those published in the U.S.S.R., Poland, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.
6. (Mrs.) H. Keate, Sciences Bibliographer Local 4363
Supervises the acquisition of science and technology materials in all areas except bio-medical. This includes the
fields of agriculture, astronomy, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology, mathematics and physics.
7. (Dr.) R.A. Jeffreys, Life Sciences Bibliographer Local 2884
Supervises the acquisition of all materials which will be located in the Woodward Biomedical Library. This covers
all the health sciences, biology, biochemistry and home economics.
Library cards are issued to faculty members upon application. If you do not yet have a card, please apply at the Circula-,
tion Division Office just off the Main Library entrance hall. (
Please note also that once a library card has been issued, it must be validated annually. This is done by presenting the card
at the Circulation Office. Validation of a card takes only a few minutes. A faculty member's spouse is entitled to a "B" library card upon application to the Circulation Office.  This card entitles
the borrower to the same loan privileges given to UBC supporting staff and visiting faculty.
Holders of faculty library cards may borrow material for the following periods:
Two weeks, following which books are subject to immediate recall if requested by
another reader. Any home use books which you wish to keep for a longer period
of time will have to be returned or renewed in August, December and May.
Home use books will be called in from faculty only after the normal two-week loan
period has elapsed and only if another borrower has requested the material.   Since
the requestor may be working on a tighter schedule than you are, the item should
be returned to the Circulation Division's Main Loan Desk immediately.   Arrangements can be made at the same time to have the book returned to you as soon as
it comes back to the Library.
Two hours to one week, as indicated in back of book.
One week, renewable.
For use in the building only.
Two weeks, renewable.
— Current journals do not circulate until one month after receipt.
— Newspapers do not circulate.
— Fine arts journals have an overnight loan period.
During the end-of-term call-ins in August and December, you may renew your Main Library books by mail or by calling local
3115. However, books must be returned to the Library in May for the annual inventory. At this time, books you wish to charge out
again will be renewed while you wait, or, if you prefer, returned to you by Library Delivery.
These are available for the convenience of a faculty member who may wish to have a secretary or other person pick up Main
Library material for him. Materials loaned are for his use alone, and he is responsible for them. Authorization cards do not cover
such services as Library Delivery.
Your authorization card may be used for a maximum of one academic year (i.e. September 1 till August 31).   If you wish
to continue using the card after the end of August, it should be validated by the staff in the Circulation Division. Please contact them
at locals 3869 or 3115 for more information.
N.B.   The preceding notes apply to the Main Library only.  You may find that branch libraries differ in
their loan policies and circulation services. However, most branches issue their own printed guides
which cover these areas in detail.
The following sections apply to all libraries in the system.
This service allows a faculty member to have library books charged out in his name and delivered to a service point near his
ffice. To have material sent to you in this way, phone the Main Library's delivery service (local 2854) or a branch library as appropriate. The staff will locate the material for you, charge it out in your name, and send it as soon as possible to the nearest delivery
station. Your departmental secretary can tell you where this is located. TRANSFER OF LOANS
Please don't borrow material signed out to someone else, or lend out items you have borrowed, without notifying the librar^
concerned. Unless the loan records are changed, the original borrower is regarded as responsible for any overdue or lost items.
Currently there are 15 coin-operated machines in the Main and branch libraries. The Main Library's photocopiers are
located inside the stack entries on levels 3 and 5, and in the Fine Arts Division. The following branches also have machines:
Sedgewick, Woodward, Law, MacMillan, Marjorie Smith (Social Work), Music and the Curriculum Laboratory. The cost of
photocopies made on most of these machines is 5^. for a 9%" x 14" exposure.
In addition to the coin-operated machines, staff are on duty in the Xerox Room at the rear of the Main Library's entrance hall to do copying for you. They provide this service between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Saturday, at the cost of 10f£
per 10" x 14" exposure.
The Xerox Room staff can also make offset masters at 15£ for a 10" x 15" page, or SVi" x 11" transparencies for overhead projectors at a charge of 35j6 apiece. Any material suitable for photocopying can be used for masters and transparencies.
A number of departments have opened accounts with the library copy service. Your departmental secretary can tell you
whether your department has an account to which you may charge Xeroxing, and also whether any limit has been set on spending.
Requisitions are necessary to open an account; again, please see your departmental secretary.
For information on opening personal accounts, or for any further details about charging Xerox services, please call the
Xerox staff at local 2854.
Materials not available on this campus may often be borrowed from other libraries through interlibrary loan. While it is recommended that candidates for advanced degrees undertake research in areas where U.B.C.'s library collections are strong, the terms
of the Interlibrary Loan Code allow us to supplement our own resources by borrowing for faculty and graduate students from other
Exceptions generally include: books currently in print, reference books, materials in constant use, exceptionally rare or
fragile items, and works which are difficult or expensive to ship. Periodicals and dissertations are usually not available for loan,
but may be purchased in Xerox copies or on microfilm.
The following policies are, for the most part, those set out in the International Interlibrary Loan Code.    This code is
designed to protect large lending libraries from overuse and unreasonable demands by smaller libraries.
A. Who May Use the Interlibrary Loan Service?
In accordance with the national policy, materials may be borrowed only for the use of faculty, graduate students,
and authorized research personnel. Undergraduates are not eligible for interlibrary loans. However, any student
may borrow materials free of charge from the Center for Research Libraries collection. For more information,
please visit the interlibrary Loan Office near the Main Library's subject catalogue, or phone the staff at local 2274.
B. Applications
Interlibrary loan request forms are available at the Interlibrary Loan Office and at all reference desks in the Main and
branch libraries. Your requests should be typed or legibly printed, and should include full bibliographical data as
well as a published source of reference. Members of the reference departments will assist you in every way possible
with identification of materials needed for research.
Requests by graduate students, including teaching assistants, must be countersigned by a member of the faculty.
C. Terms of Loan
The loan period and conditions of use are determined by the library from which the material was borrowed. (
Please pick up and return items personally. This should be done at the Interlibrary Loan Office or the appropriate
These were created to meet the need for small library collections and suitable reading space close to faculty offices. Reading rooms are maintained primarily for the benefit and convenience of particular departments, although the quarters and collections
are available to the entire university on a "need to use" basis. Use of reading room material by non-department personnel is usually
governed by the same restrictions that apply to users within the department. Holdings of all library-operated reading rooms are represented in the Main Card Catalogue.
A department head who wishes to form a reading room should take a proposal to the dean of his faculty.
As far as possible, the Library makes available to students materials which are included on reading lists or suggested as
course reading. This process is simplified if faculty members comply with the following suggestions:
A. Be sure the Library has the items on your reading list. If it does not, order the material well in advance of assigning
the readings to your class.
B. Provide enough bibliographic information on class reading lists to make identification of the items possible without
undue frustation on the part of the students and/or library staff. The following guide should help with the basic information needed on these lists:
i)       AUTHOR'S NAME should always be given in full, since the public catalogue does not have a title card for
every work.
ii)       A KEY should be provided to any acronyms, initialisms or abbreviations used in the list.
iii)       Supply COMPLETE REFERENCES FOR PERIODICAL ARTICLES. These should give the full title, volume
number and date of the periodical, with the author, title and paging of the article to be read.
iv)       REFERENCES FOR COLLECTED WORKS should include the title of the book and the full name of its editor
or compiler, along with the author, title and paging of the section to be read.
v)       Often GOVERNMENT PUBLICATIONS are issued by BRANCHES OR SUBDIVISIONS of a larger government
department. Avoid confusion — include all this information in your entry.
vi)        FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF with the library reserving and course processing procedure described below.
Special provisions are made by the Library for those non-textbook readings which are assigned to all students in a course.
When requested by a faculty member, or when demand for an item becomes heavy, course books are placed "on reserve", i.e. on
short-term loan. Duplicate copies are often provided to make it easier for all students to complete their required reading assignments. Short loan periods should be restricted to material which is required reading for the whole class.
Reserve books are housed in the Main Library, Sedgewick or another branch library, depending on the course for which
they are reserved. Branches and divisions concerned with particular subject fields house materials for courses in those areas. Thus,
reserve books for music will be found in the Music Library, ones for fine arts in the Fine Arts Division, etc. The staff in these subject-specialized branches and divisions can give you full information if you wish to place material on reserve with them.
The two major areas where reserve books are held are:
A.      Sedgewick Library
— Undergraduate arts (humanities and social sciences) courses numbered 100-499.
— Mathematics, science and applied science courses numbered 100 - 299
B.      Main Library Reserve
Book Collection
Education (except material on the methodology of education, held in the Curriculum Laboratory) — Graduate arts courses
— Librarianship
— Physical education
— Science and applied science courses numbered 300 and above, except mathe- '
matics (Mathematics Library) and biomedical sciences (Woodward Library)
Placing books on reserve for undergraduate courses is only part of the work with which Sedgewick's Course Processing staff
is concerned. Faculty members should be aware of the other procedures involved in placing course books on the shelves. These include:
- Searching library holdings for all faculty course requests
- Placing orders for material when necessary
- Listing course items in a public course file for student use
- Listing all items in a computer printout course list; sending copies and updates to appropriate faculty members
- Adjusting length of loan periods on items when necessary. (Sedgewick loan periods may be one week, one day or two
hours, depending on demand for the material.)
- Reprinting copies of journal articles when Sedgewick does not carry the desired journal. (Copying is done within restrictions imposed by limited staff and copyright regulations.)
Sedgewick's Course Processing staff sends each faculty member a printout listing materials currently used in his course.
This list is sent in March and September for the following winter session. On a separate form, the faculty member is asked to indicate which titles are to remain on the list, to add citations for new material he will need in the following session, and to designate
"required", "recommended" and "suggested" readings.
Faculty members who have course material on reserve in this collection are sent their book lists and forms in April for the
next winter session. Procedures followed in getting the books on the shelf are much the same as for Sedgewick material.
Please try to return your completed forms to Sedgewick or the Reserve Book Collection well in advance of the session for
which the items are required! Experience has shown that it often takes eight weeks or more for orders to be filled by vendors when
the books are not available at U.B.C.
For extra-sessional credit courses given on campus, please follow the same procedures as for regular daytime classes. The
students in these courses receive regular library cards which entitle them to use campus libraries on the same basis as other students.
For off-campus extra-sessional courses and correspondence courses, books are provided by mail through the Extension
Library (operated by the Main Library's Circulation Division). Instructors of these courses should send their lists of required books
to the Extension Library as early as possible to ensure that the material will be available when classes begin.
Students at all levels are offered a variety of opportunities to learn about the holdings and use of the U.B.C. libraries.
Faculty members can play an important role in library orientation by making sure their classes are aware of these programs, and by
taking advantage of the subject-related instruction offered by most campus libraries.
1. GENERAL TOURS AND AUDIOVISUAL SHOWS are offered at the beginning of each session. These provide
students with a general introduction to the library system, and concentrate on the libraries undergraduates will
be using most: Main and Sedgewick.
2. FIRST AND SECOND-YEAR CLASS TOURS also give basic information on library use. However, each tour
stresses the library materials and services that relate to the particular subject area or project the group is working      \
on. Tours are available at any time of year, and are organized by the Information and Orientation Division (local
2076). 7
3. THIRD YEAR, FOURTH-YEAR AND GRADUATE TOURS cover more advanced subject material and bibliographic
procedures. For more information, please contact the appropriate Main Library reference division or branch library.
4. SELF-HELP AIDS AND PUBLICATIONS allow students to learn about the campus libraries at their own speed. Main
Library aids include a small Audiscan machine for audiovisual library instruction; a three-dimensional model of the
building; detailed instruction signs mounted on all Main Card Catalogue cabinets; the student handbook, Know Your
Library; and a variety of shorter publications dealing with the location and use of Main Library materials. Other printed guides are available to describe the locations, holdings and services of branch libraries.
Some faculty members may wish to place this type of material on reference for a short time as a guide to style, construction, etc. This can be done through the Sedgewick Library; to make arrangements, phone local 2639. Policies of other libraries
and reference divisions vary, since many have little or no room for material that is not part of the permanent collection.
Contrary to popular belief, no campus library keeps back copies of examinations. However, the Student Services Office
keeps copies of all papers which faculty members have released for student use; this collection runs to about 30 volumes. If you
wish to make copies of former exams available to students, Student Services would be happy to add them to this set.
Until March, 1972, Student Services will be located in Hut M7, across the West Mall from the Armouries.
The Main Library's Special Collections Division receives numerous requests for these publications from readers at U.B.C.
and elsewhere in Canada. Faculty and staff are urged to deposit copies of their monographs, offprints and articles with the Division regularly so that it can continue this important service. More information is available from the Archivist at local 2521.
All campus libraries are anxious to know about any problems their users may have. If you or your students have had difficulties with any part of the U.B.C. library system, the person to call is:
Mr. D. Mclnnes,
Head of Public Services,
Main Library (local 2396) REACTIONS, PLEASE!
1. Have you personally found this faculty guide useful or instructive?
2. Are there any areas you feel should be added or changed? If so, please give details.
3. Would you prefer to have a more permanent copy of this guide issued in booklet form?
4. Please indicate your department.    ;	
After completing this questionnaire, please return it to:
Information and Orientation Division, Main Library


Citation Scheme:


Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics



Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            async >
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:


Related Items