Open Collections

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

Twenty-first Report of the Library Committee to the Senate Nov 30, 1950

Item Metadata

Download

Media
libsenrep-1.0115304.pdf
Metadata
JSON: libsenrep-1.0115304.json
JSON-LD: libsenrep-1.0115304-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): libsenrep-1.0115304-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: libsenrep-1.0115304-rdf.json
Turtle: libsenrep-1.0115304-turtle.txt
N-Triples: libsenrep-1.0115304-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: libsenrep-1.0115304-source.json
Full Text
libsenrep-1.0115304-fulltext.txt
Citation
libsenrep-1.0115304.ris

Full Text

Array THE UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
T V E N T Y - F I R S T  R E P 0 R T
of the
LIBRARY       COMMITTEE
to
HE       S E N  A T I
iu
Covering the Period
September, 1949 - August, 1950
November, 1950 riHE UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
Vancouver, Canada
President u.  A. M, Mackenzie, C.^.G., M.M., LL,M., LL.D., K.C.
Chairman of the Senate,
The University of British Columbia.
Dear Sir:
as Chairman of the Library Committee 1 nave the
honour to submit, for the consideration of Senate, the
Twenty-first Report of the Liorarian of the University, covering the period from September 1, 1949, to August 31, 1950.
All of which is respectfully submitted.
Ian McTaggart Cowan.
Chairman
Aovember 23, 1950 n.
EPORT OF THE LIBRARIAN
Dr. I. i-IcT. Cowan,
Chairman, Library Committee,
The University of 3ritish Columbia.
Dear Dr. Cowan:
I have the honour to submit the twenty-first Report
of the Librarian of the University covering the period from
September 1, 1949, to August 31, 1950.  The period under review
was an exceedingly active one, and in many respects it was a
year of accomplishment.  In certain respects, and these are the
more important ones, our shortcomings are evident.
ADMINISTRATION
Throughout the year under review the Library Committee
has given the Librarian every possible assistance.  Seven
meetings were held at which the chief topics discussed were
(1) the requirements for an adequate budget for books and
periodicals, and (2) departmental libraries.  Early in the year
the Library Committee agreed to consider the problems presented
by departmental libraries and to determine which materials should
be permitted to go from the principal collection to smaller ones
on the campus.  This discussion was interrupted by a request
from the Pioard of Governors to present a statement of the
Liorary's needs for funds for books, periodicals, and binding:
out the Committee returned to the subject of departmental
libraries later in the year.  A request from the Faculty of
Medicine for a medical reading room in the Library precipitated
a revival oP the subject, and the end of the year found the
Committee formulating new regulations for the distribution of 2
current periodicals and the loan of bound volumes to faculty
members.
The Committee approved the request from the Faculty
of Medicine for a medieal reaiing room in this building for
several reasons: one of these was the obvious fact that it is
more desirable to have a special reading room in this building
than for another to be established outside.  The Faculty of
Medicine agreed to pay for furnishing the room and the salaries
of the personnel assigned there during this fiscal year.  This
financial assistance made it possible to open the room this year,
but the Library should not continue indefinitely to give services
for which it is reimbursed by other departments of the University.
If this were done on a wide scale, the Library would be in the
position of serving the departments from which it receives funds
rather than the University as a whole.
Late in 1949 President MacKenzie wrote on behalf of
the Board of Governors to Dr. Cowan requesting the Committee to
consider the Library requirements for books, periodicals, and
binding and the proper allocation of funds which would be needed
for these purposes.  In the preparation of its reply, the Library
eommittee spent three lengthy meetings considering proposals
submitted by members of the Library staff.  These discussions
continued for more than three months, and resulted in an
eight-page report entitled "a Survey of the Judgetary Needs of the
University of British Columbia Library with Reference to Books,
Periodicals and Binding'' which was forwarded by Dr. Cowan to the
President,  a!though a strong case was made in the 'Survey' for
increased funds, no additional moneys became available for Library 3
acquisitions.
During most of the year problems involving more than
one division were discussed, in weekly staff meetings.  These
were regularly attended by the Librarian, the Heads of Divisions
or their alternates, and by miss Fugler, secretary to the
Librarian, who prepared detailed minutes which were posted for
the information of other staff members.  During the year several
professional members of the staff attended these meetings as
visitors for periods varying from a month to two months.  The two
months period proved to be longer than is desirable, and such
assignments in the future will be for four weeks.  The minutes
of tnese meetings record a number of decisions which -will affect
ths work of the Library for a long time.  It would be desirable
to nave these decisions codified in a manual, but it is unlikely
that anyone on the staff will find sufficient time to prepare
such a- work.
Several attempts were made during the year to tighten
the internal organization of the Library.  In the appointment of
new full-time persons it was agreed that whenever possible the
initial selection should be made by the Head of tiie Division
concerned and that the person recommended should be interviewed
by tae Librarian.  All persons appointed to full-time positions
in the Library during the last year were interviewed ov  the
Liorarian before they were offered employment.  In earlier years
ordering of supplies was conducted by the Acquisitions Division,
out this responsibility is now assigned to the Librarian's office.
There seemed to be no good reason why time should be spent by
one division doing the work involved in securing and maintaining 4
supplies for the others and for the Librarian's office.
Mr. Robert Neale, stack attendant, formerly was attached to the
Periodicals Division although his work was wholly concerned with
sorting and shelving books.  It seemed clear that he should be
transferred to the staff of the Circulation Division and this was
done.  After the amount of the budget had been settled, the
Librarian Informed each of the Division Heads how much money he
had available and trie positions which had been assigned to his
division.  Heretofore, this seems to have been loosely managed;
and no division head knew precisely how much money he had to
spend or the number of positions assigned to him.
The chief organizational change daring the year was the
establishment of a Serials Division.  This affected the work of
all of the Divisions of the Library, and the results are likely
to bo far-reaching.  Certain Immediate effects deserve attention:
for instance, a classification survey of professional personnel
had been started before the re-organization, but the changes in
duties resulting from the establishment oi this new division were
so great that the classification survey was postponed and. remains
to be done.  The work of the Serials Division will be discussed
below.
Throughout the year a great deal of attention was given
to personnel matters,  a large numoer of changes in staff
occurred, and the names of the persons who have come and gone and
of those now on the staff are given in Appendix A.  The numoer of
appointments tc and resignations from the full-time staff of the
Library suggests that the turnover may be unjustifiably large, but
this is not the case since many appointments are made with the 5
understanding that they are to terminate at the conclusion of a
term or at the end of some other predetermined period.  Persons
appointed to the professional staff and to the regular clerical
staff are recommended, for appointment to regular positions after a
probationary period, but library assistants and most of the
clerical workers at the Circulation Desk come and go with
the student population.  Additional assistants needed during term
can be spared during the summer vacation: consequently, many of
the employees at the Circulation Desk are appointed for the period
between September 15 and May 15.  Some of these are continued
throughout the summer months and longer, but there has been no
intention of making these appointments permanent since the jobs
held little future for the persons in them.
Six new professional librarians were appointed to the
staff this year; five were recruited from library schools in
eastern Canada and one was induced to come to the University
Library from the Puoiic Library Commission in prince George.
The persons who came here from McGill and Toronto library schools
were interviewed by the Librarian when he made a trip east in
January and February.  It is improbable that we could have-
persuaded as many capable Horary school araduates to join our
staff if it had not been possible to talk with them before tney
completed their professional training.
The University Library .aas been active in recruiting
for the library profession.  Persons who are interested in going
on to library school are given special consideration as applicants
for positions as library assistants, and it is gratifying to find
that a high proportion find their interest in librarianship
heightened through work in this Library.  Three of the library O
assistants employed during the last year are new enrolled in
library schools, and several of those now on the staff plan to
attend next year.
Four of the five new library school graduates joined
the staff on July 1, and it was agreed by the division heads that
this was an opportune, time to Inaugurate an in-service training
program.  After some discussion it was concluded that the four
new members should spend a -week in each of the five divisions of
the Liorary where they -would learn first the general responsibilities of a division and would then participate in the regular
work.  The cost in staff time for this training program was  ♦
considerable, but at ttie end the division heads were unanimous
in their agreement that the program was worth while.  It is still
too early to determine whether this expenditure of time 'was
justified, and it will not be known until after we learn whether
these new employees do better work because of their familiarity
with the responsibilities and routines of the other divisions.
Frequent attempts were made to encourage members of the
staff to participate in professional activities.  For instance,
visiting librarians were honoured at teas 'where all interested
members of the staff had an opportunity to meet and to talk with
them.  Among the persons whom the niorary staff met in this way
are:  Miss Jean Wright, head of the Country Library Service,
South Island Branch, hew Zealand, Mr. A. 1. Hamlin, Executive
Secretary of the Pissociation of College and Reference Libraries,
Chicago, 111., Mr. R. F. M. Immelman, Chief Librarian ana Director
of the Library Ochool, University of Cape Town, and i..r. Preoen
Kirkegaard, Chief Librarian of the County Library of Vejle, Denmark . 7.
A number of members of the Library staff were active
in professional associations.  Ihere is no need to record here
all the professional connections of all the members of the
Library staff, out certain affiliations should be mentioned,
miss Anne Smith served during the year as President of the Pacific
Northwest Library Association and as a member of the Executive
Board of the Association of College and Reference Libraries.
During this same period rLLss Eleanor Mercer became President of
the British CoLambia Library Association, and the Librarian continued to serve as Chairman of the Bibliography Committee of the
American Library Association.
The great need for trained library personnel in this
area plus the facilities available in Vancouver make it appear
desirable to establish a library school at this University.  With
the permission, of the President the Librarian investigated this
aiatter on his trip to the East and reported on the subject after
his return.  Until such time as a library scnool is established
here, this Library can make its greatest contributions to
professional library training by encouraging good students to go
into the field, appointing interested persons to positions ao
library assistants, and attracting outstanding library school
graduates to join the University of British Columbia staff.
One of the factors which made the establishment of a
library school here seem desirable is the existence of suitable"
quarters on the third floor of the Liorary.  If no attempt is to
be made to establish a scnool here for some years, part of this
space probably could be put to better use.  There are approximately
70 study desks in the stacks and to each of these is assigned two o
o
persons working on a Plaster's thesis.  Aith the increase in
graduate and specialized work in this University, the study
facilities in the stacks prove more and more inadequate, and it
may be time to accommodate advanced students in the seminar rooms
or. the third floor.  During the past 3?-ear the Library received
several re-guests for the long-term assignment of rooms on the
third floor to particular departments; for instance, the Classics
Department applied for a rocm in the Library in which students in
Classics could meet and study.  These requests were declined
because assignments of this sort should not be made to one
.tepartment witnout taking into account the needs of others.
After the new wing was opened in 194$, a large
accumulation of unbound periodicals was transferred to a large
space on the second deck known to members of the Library staff
as the "Green Room'.  During the past summer this area was cleaned
out by members of the staff of the Serials Division and part of
the cleared area was furnished xvith additional study desks.  These
facilities make it possible to accommodate graduate students in
the sciences in a manner similar tc that which was previously-
provided only for students in the humanities.
Some of the problems which resulted from defects in
the building continued to plague us during the past year.  The
lighting in many areas is poor and little can be done to remedy
it without the expenditure of a considerable amount of money.
Ihe Librarian did discuss with several lighting engineers the
kind of fixtures which would be required to provide adequate
lighting in the high-vaulted main reading room on the second
floor, but no serious attempt was made to secure estimates since there was no reason to believe that money for this purpose would
become available.  during the cold months of last winter the
temperature in the .Periodicals Division and in certain areas of
the stacks was often in the low 50's, and the power plant was
unable to remedy this defect.  Eleven hundred dollars has been
"made available by the Board of Governors for the purchase of
equipment needed to improve the heating and ventilating in the
Library, and some of the fixtures have been ordered by the
Department of Buildings and Grounds.  Very little progress was
made toward improving ventilation.  The Librarian did talk with
Mr. Dan Thompson and others about the inadequate circulation of
air in the Reserve Book Room, but no improvement resulted.
The greatest difficulty confronted throughout the year
was the shortage of funds for the purchase of Library materials and
supplies and for staff.  As was mentioned above, no additional
moneys were available after the report on book needs was presented
by the Library CoAimittee; and, to make matters worse, the request
of the Librarian for additional funds for the operation of the
Library during fiscal 1950-5-1 was denied.  The Librarian's estimates
were supported by a statement to the Bursar which made it clear
that if the Library was given ao additional a-,10,000, the
departmental allocations for the purchase of Liorary materials
could be doubled.  The Library did receive a small increase over
the funds available in the preceding fiscal year, and this money
was used to engage needed assistance in the bindery.  If the
Library does not receive better support for the purchase of books
and periodicals, the University will suffer.  This should be
obvious, but there does not seem to be wide realization of this i.0
fact on the campus.  The financial needs of the Library are
considered in relation to those of other departments rather than
in relation to the University as a whole.  The needs of the
Library are as basic as those of the power plant, and they should
be met by the University early in its budget making.  During the
last year the amount made available to the Library was cut after
the Librarian had received from the Bursar a statement that a
larger sum had been granted.  This cut was made without warning,
and the Librarian was not consulted about the probable effect.
Another problem which has continued throughout the year
is the.proper use ox the reading rooms and other facilities of
the Library. Most of the seating accommodations in the Reference
Room and the Periodicals Room are used a large part of the time
by students working on assignments which do not require library
materials.  This use of the Library as a study hall presents
difficulties for persons who wish to use library materials.  Some-
consideration was given to excluding from the reading rooms
students who occupy space for the review of notes and so forth,
but the division heads agreed that students doing such work should
not be refused seats in the Library until study halls are provided
elsewhere on the campus.  Tables were reserved in the Ridington
Reference Room and in the Periodicals Room for persons using
materials shelved in these areas, but these measures will net
correct the situation.
The nearness of the Library to the University Stadium
presents difficulties during football games.  Students go to the
roof of the building despite the fact that the door which provides
such access is marked ,fNo Admittance'-', and others lean cut of the stack windows. Mr. Lee's office provided additional janitors to
help keep order in the Library, but this did not improve the
situation.  The Library division heads agreed that the only
solution 'which remained was to close the Library during football
games, and this is being done in the current academic year.  It
would be better to keep the Library open during football games
if the University will provide funds for hiring commissionnaires.
ACQUISITIONS DIVISION
The fields in which the Library purchases publications
may be classified as follows: (l) those in which the Library
collects extensively, (2) those in which the University gives
instruction and in which funds permit limited coverage, and
(3) those in which the University does not give instruction but
in which some publications must be purchased for the use of persons
working in related fields.  The University Library collects
extensively in forestry, fisheries, and Western Canadian history,
three fields in which we have particular interest or special funds.
The amount of money available for purchases in Western Canadian
history is not large, but continued effort has been made to add
to the books and periodicals given to the University by the. late
Judge Howay and the late Dr. Aobie Reid.  During the year under
review more than a hundred duplicate publications in the Howay-Reid
Collection were exchanged with the Public Archives in Ottawa, and
we acquired thereby a number of useful works in Canadiana which
the Library could not nave bought.  Thanks to the generosity of
i.r. h. R. MacMillan, the Library is able to purchase widely in the
field of forestry; and a special fund makes possible fairly 12
extensive acquisitions on fisheries.  Publications in the third
category, fields in which the University does not give instruct Lor
but in which the Library attempts to acquire a few outstanding
works, are purchased largely from funds expended over the sigrat...aa
of the Librarian.
The second category, fields in which the University
gives instruction and for which we have limited funds, requires
most of our attention.  The departmental allocations range from
i>40 to 4>700 a year, and the proper expenditure of this money has
received careful attention.  In former \ears some departments used
a fraction of their allocations and others repeatedly spent
practically every penny, but in the past year a continued effert
was made to correct this situation.  Each department of the
University was asked to name a -'contact man"* to work, directly
with Mr. Rothstein and with Mr. Lanning in all matters respecting
Library acquisitions.  The "'contact man" was able to inform the
Acquisitions Division about the wishes of his Department; and, In
turn, Mr. Rothstein and Mr. Lanning were able to present the
position of the Library to each of the departmental representatives.
Gifts which came to the Library were examined by the proper
•contact man1' so that only volumes of use here would be added to
the collections.  The '"contact merr' also made it possible for the
Acquisitions Division to have someone who represented each
department review outstanding orders, and numerous requests for
publications no longer needed were cancelled.
The existence of •'contact merr1 should make it easy to
take one more step in the direction of determining which publications should be in the Library. Much needed surveys of holdings 13
in various subject fields could be conducted under the joint
direction of a teaching department and the Library.  During the
past year two attempts were made in this direction.  Miss Maria
Sophie Laddy, a student in the Agronomy Department, prep>ared
■A Checklist of Agricultural Literature in the Field, of Agronomy"
and Miss Margaret S. Smith, an honours student in Spanish,
compiled "'A forking Bibliography of Spanish Literature of the
Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Centuries".  When more money becomes
available for Library acquisitions, extensive surveys of the
collections should be undertaken to insure advantageous use of
such funds.
The Acquisitions Division is obliged to maintain more
than seventy detailed accounts: one is kept for each departmental
allocation and the others include records of" expenditures under
the MacMillan Fund, the Rockefeller Grant for Slavonic Studies,
and other grants.  Although some of these accounts have no
status in the Bursar's office, they must be kept so that a teaching
department can determine how much of its allocation has been
expended and the balance which remains.  Most of the time of one
person, Miss Hearse]/, is devoted to these accounts; and there
seems to be no way of simplifying the routines or of dispensing
with the time-consuming records.
During the last year the Acquisitions Division made
one substantial change in routines.  Each order for a. new
publication is searched against the Library's catalogues to
determine whether it is In the collections; and if the title is not
found, the publication is identified in a trade bibliography or in
another source before it Is ordered.  If this were not done, the 14
dealer might not be able to identify the work or it might be found
that the publication was already here under some other entry.
This verification of bibliographical information requires
considerable time, but much of the information obtained is useful
in the cataloguing of the publication itself,  as a consequence,
the Acquisitions Division agreed to trace each publication
ordered in the published catalogue of the Library of Congress and
to record the Library of Congress card number.  With this information, the Catalogue Division can order the necessary catalogue
cards without an additional expenditure of time and staff.
Among the major purchases of the year should be
mentioned Grimm's Deutches Wdrterbtich. which was secured for the
German Department, and a set of Der Gro.sse Politik which was
purchased on the recommendation of the Department, of History.
As in other years, the University Library received several
valuable gifts.  The three largest came from Mrs. G. G. PicGeer,
Mrs. o.ubrey Bell, and Dr. -.-/. a. Carrothers.  Mrs. McC-eer
presented to the Library more than ?C volumes on Lincoln which
were in the library of her late husband, Senator 'Gerry " McOeer;
and Mrs. Bell presented almost 300 volumes in Spanish literature
which were the property of her late husband, Aubrey Bell.  The
volumes which came from Dr. Carrothers were chiefly in economics
and political science.
During the past year the Library initiated a new
method of informing the University community about its acquisitions,  in uctooer tne Library issued trie first numoer of
•'Lew Books in Your University Library', a mimeographed list of
titles of recent publications which are likely to be of interest (1
15
to persons in ooore than one department.  Issues cf the list
a.-noeared weekly during most of the term and. loss freouently
during the summer months.  Twenty-seven issues were mimeographed
and distributed between October 31, 1949 and August 31, 19.50.
•'New Books in Your University Library" is sent to each of the
Deans on the campus ani to each of the department Heads with the
request that the copies be posted for the information of other
members of the faculty and of students.  Only a small proportion
of the 13,351 volumes received during t-ne past year were described
in totose lists, and faere seeiat to ufc no good reason lor giving
such attention to all of the publications added to the Library.
Even if it were desirable to describe all cf our acquisitions
in this manner, it wouli not be oossible to do so without an
unreasonable expenditure of manpower.
CaIalOGUE division
The more than 13,000 volumes acquired by the Library-
last year were all described in the Catalogue division where the
chief proolem has oeen an acute shortage of staff.  After 1 he
resignation of Mr. and Mrs. T. it. kcCloy and of Miss Betty Henderson,- the professional staff in the Catalogue Division numbered
but too for months.  Two junior professionals were appointed to
tiie staff of the Catalogue Division at the beginning of July-
ana brought the total to four.  One of these, Mrs. Margaret
Little, will leave the Library shortly, and the situation will
again be acute.  The flow of incoming materials is likely to
increase rather than diminish, and the need for additional
Catalo.oe Division will continue to grow. 16
p.iss Jefferd estimates that one cataloguer could devote all her
time to describing new law books, another is needed for the
cataloguing of foreign publications and serials, and a third
person should be available for continuing the cataloguing of
books, pamphlets, maps, pictures and other materials in the
Howay-Reid Collection.
During most of the period under review the Catalogue
Division was without a first assistant.  Although the Librarian
attempted to find a qualified replacement for Mrs. Doreen McCloy,
he was unsuccessful; and the end of the year found this position
still vacant.  An attempt is being made to secure an able cataloguer for this place, and it should continue until a first assistant is appointed.
The most memorable event of the year in the Catalogue
Division was 'Operation Harmac'.  Mr. H. R. MacMillan asked the
University to catalogue his personal library, and indicated that
he Intends to present to the Library a number of the books in
his possession.  At the time his request came, Mr. MacMillan and
his family were away from the city; and, with the permission of
Mr. Mhcwillan's secretary, Miss Dee, several members of the Library
staff worked regularly in Mr. MacMillan's residence.  Our first
estimates of the amount of work involved in cataloguing
Mr. MacMillan's library proved tc be quite accurate.  Approximately
2000 books are shelved in his home, and many of these are of
considerable interest,  because of the staff shortage in the
Catalogue Division, it was impossible to run two cataloguing
operations at the same time, and Miss Jefferd and her lone
assistant, -Mos Howieson, worked for more ta^n three weeks in 17
Mr. MacMillan*s home.  Miss Margaret Mackenzie, an experienced
cataloguer on the staff of the Reference Division, was also
assigned to ''Operation Karmac-"', and Mrs. Thelma Allen, formerly
of the University of "Washington, was engaged to help on a
part-time basis. To facilitate the work of the cataloguers,
typewriters, card stock, and the Library's set of the Library of
Congress catalogue, which numbers more than 170 volumes, were
moved to the MacMillan residence. The copy prepared by the cataloguers was sent to the Library where the requisite number of
cards were made by typists in the Catalogue division.  Only through
tae very great efforts of Miss Jefferd and iier willing assistants
was it possible to conclude the cataloguing of Mr. MacMillan*s
library and to remove the paraphernalia from his home before his
r c t\ i. rr. t o v" an c ou v e r.
At this time special recognition should be made of
Miss Jefferd's work for the University of British Columbia, for
in January of this year she concluded thirty-five years of work
in the Library.  I believe that Miss Jefferd's continuous service
for the University is longer than that of any other employee, and
I know of no other cataloguer in a major library who can boast
that all of the books In the collection 'were catalogued either by
her cr under her direction.
SERIALS DIVISION
As mentioned above, the chief organizational change
effected this year was the transformation of the Periodicals
Division into a Serials Division.  This step was taken only after-
careful consideration of the many factors involved and not until i a
lo
the outcome of our budget requests was learned.  The new budget
contained a small increase which made possible the addition of two
persons to the staff of our bindery.  After this was done, it
seemed clear that ever]/ effort should be made to organize the
handling of serials so that they could reach the bindery as rapidly
as possible.  The old Periodicals Division was chiefly concerned
with magazines; and annuals were handled either by the Acquisitions
Division, the Periodicals Division, or, as sometimes happened,
by neither.  The Reference Division ordered, received, and serviced
the Library's collection of government publications with the
result that few were catalogued and* fewer were bound.  Many files
of government publications have not been bouni for years, and
there was no likelihood that they vrould be bound unless some
arrangement was made which would give them as high a priority as
non-official publications.
The new Serials division is responsible for receiving,
checking in, claiming, and preparing for binding all publications
for which we have continuing orders.  Two new Kardex files were
ordered and a new stock of checking cards has oeen obtained.
'Mhe utilization of these checking cards will require considerable
work, because there is no properly established entry for many
serial titles in this Library.  The creation of a Serials Division
should reduce the cost of cataloguing such publications, since
the work now can be done once and for all as soon as the first
Issue is received.  In many libraries the Catalogue Division
prepares its own description of a new serial and then this is clone
again in the division which checks in the new issues.  Such
duplication will be avoided here, but it should not be thought 19
that the cost of cataloguing serials will be reduced, because a
large amount of serial cataloguing needs to be done.  If we are to
make even one correct entry for all periodicals, government
publications, newspapers and learned society publications received
aere, we shall have to spend more money for this purpose.
The expanded Serials Division started operations aoout
the middle of May.  Mr. Roland Lanning, Head of tue Periodicals
Division, became Head of the Serials Division; and lass Doreen
Fraser, a senior professional in the neference Jivision, was
promoted to First Assistant in the new division.  In addition,
three Horary assistants were assigned to the Serials Division.
The five persons in these positions worked all summer in an effort
to clean up the large arrearage which had accumulated in. the
stacks oi the Periodical Division and in the ! Green Uoom-«.
Other divisions, in particular reference, helped with this work;
and all of the persons engaged in it deserve credit for the rapid
accomplishment of a hard and dirty job. a  great many volumes
received from the Royal Canadian Institute were recorded and some
were sent to the bindery.  Bound volumes of newspapers were added
to the collections, and quantities of unbound publications were
disposed of as waste paper.
It will not be possible for at least one more year to
determine the staff requirements oi the Serials Division.
Certainly it would be a mistake to minimize the work which will no
requirei in listing thousands of titles on Kar-dex cards, and the
division ah 11 fail if it does not have the staff required to claim
missing issues promptly.  Unless these are claimed as soon as theij
lack is recognized, there is little justification for the labor 20
expended in recording the recei.pt of the issues received.
In addition to serving as Head of the Serials
Division, Mr. Lanning is responsible for the supervision of the
work in the bindery. Now that the Serials Division is in existence
it should be possible after the new records are prepared to
readily determine the number of incoming publications which need
to be bound.  At present this figure is pretty much anybody's
guess.  The staff of the bindery was doubled on April 1, but the
production figures of the four workers do not indicate that the
bindery is adequate to meet even present demands.  After some discussion of how to make the best use of our bindery personnel,
it was agreed by the division heads that the bindery should devote
its time and effort to binding serials, theses, and other material?
which cannot be purchased in bound form.  In the future, books in
need of rebinding will not ordinarily be sent tc the bindery if a
replacement cony can be bought for a reasonable sum.
The future of the bindery in this Library is not
promising.  The prediction that doubling the staff would result in
trebling the output seems to have been overly optimistic: and. if
the staff were doubled again, it is doubtful that it would meet.
our requirements.  Certainly, no addition should be made to the
staff of the bindery without careful consideration; because an
increase in personnel would require more space and more equipment
in the bindery.  Perhaps the answer lies in sending large accumulations of unbound publications to binderies in other areas.  For
instance, an unbound file of the Mississippi Valley Historical
ueview has been awaiting binding for more than a year.  These
volumes should not be sent to the bindery before the 1949 issues 21
of more frequently consulted journals; consequently, there is
little likelihood that the Mississippi Valley Historical Review
will ever be bound in our own bindery.  If the Library could
discover a binder in England who would comply with our specifications, it probably would prove to our advantage to send him
-materials which should, be bound but do not. require immediate
handling.
CIRCULATION DIVISION
Circulation statistics for the period between
September, 1949 ani August, 1950, are given in Appendix B to
this Aeport.  Statistics usually require interpretation, and these
are no exception.  The total of pieces serviced during the last
year is 249,31$, a figure lower than that of the preceding year
(264,689).  The figures compiled at various desks in the Library
show an increase at most and a decrease at the Loan Desk.  During
the academic year 1949-50, 87,470 volumes were circulated at the
Loan Desk, twenty thousand less than trie figure recorded during
the preceding year (103,000).  Increases occurred in the Reserve
Book Room, the Fine Arts Loom, the Periodicals Healing liooa, and
in the Aldington Reference Room.
The decreased circulation at the Loan Desk ray be the
result of a new practice regulating student loans.  In former
years loans to students were made for one week, subject to renewal
but this was changed to a period of one month, not subject to
renewal.  This was done because the queues of students at the
Loan Desk became distressingly long, and it was suspected that
many students renewed books which they couli not read within a
week and which were not needed by other readers.  The extended 22
loan period has been, an improvement, but the Library cannot lend
all volumes for a month because of the limited book stock.
n number of works which no student should be expected to read
within a week must be returned after seven days, because the
volumes are required by other students.
Another factor which may account in part for tne regrettably long queues at the Circulation Desk is restricted stack
access.  Serious students understandably desire to consult books
on the snelves and librarians like to make it possible for trie.w to-
do so, but, as a collection enlarges and tne student population
increases, restrictions have to be instituted or the stacks will
cease to provide effective book storage.  During.;; the year under
.review, the Library Committee directed that in the academic year
1950-51 only graduate students shouli have stack permits.  Other
students woo have ;ood reason for temporary access to the stacks
.ire given the necessary permission.  This new regulation has
reduced the number of stack permits from 1600 to 500, but one
result is that since fewer students can go to the shelves more
books must be delivered to the students.  This regulation may
cause an increase in the number of volumes circulated for home
use next year.
Phe number of carrels in the stacks is below that needed
oy graduate students arid faculty.  Only Master's candidates
actually working on theses are assigned study space in the stacks,
ani the snail number of desks available makes it necessary to
assign two such students to the sane location.  Two carrels on
each stack level are reserved for the use of members of tne
Faculty, oecause certain members of the teaching staff reported 23
that they could find no place in the stack for study.
The subject of faculty loans also was discussed at
length by the Library Committee.  Many members of Faculty who
borrow bound volumes and current issues of periodicals keep then
out for long periods.  The Library Committee decided that periooi-
cals should be loaned to members of Faculty for one month, but
exceptions to this rule may be made by the Librarian.  Many Faculty
members have asked for exceptions to this regulation although roost
profess that they believe it to be a desirable practice.  Books
are ordinarily loaned for the entire term, and members of Faculty
are asked to return volumes in their possession in May.  The
Circulation Division sent each member of the Faculty a request
tnat ne return Library books charged to him before the annual
inventory, but only half complied.  Eighty members of Faculty
disregarded the second request to return books charged to them.
The Library Committee has asked the Library to secure the return
of books at least once a year, and this regulation should receive
wide support.
The annual inventory revealed that more than 900 books
were lost during the last year.  One of the reasons for restricting
stack access was the belief that it might be possible to reduce
book losses If fewer persons were permitted in the stacks.  It will
not be possible to determine whether this has been successful
until after the next inventory has been concluded.  The staff of
the Circulation Division and. others who participated in the annual
inventory have doubts about the value of trying to call in all the
books at one time and to check our holdings in this manner.  The
experience of the last inventory indicated that it cannot be done 24
properly within a week by a number of persons who are unfamiliar
with records kept at tne Circulation Desk.  If the size of the
staff permits, it would be preferable that the Inventory be done
in another year by a small group of persons trained for the task
woo would work at it for a longer period.
The report of activities in the Extension Library is
included in ths annual, report of the Extension Department.  One
new development, the service of books to persons registered for
correspondence courses, deserves mention here.  The Extension
Department provided the Library with funds to purchase copies of
books named as required readings in correspondence courses, ana
the Extension Library sends these volumes to students registered
for the courses.  During the discussions which preceded the
establishment of the first correspondence course, it was agreed by
Or. Shrum and the Library that we would undertake to supply
iaersons registered for correspondence courses with needed reading
materials so long as the number of titles did not become excessive.
Each instructor designated to prepare a course to be given by
correspondence is told of the problem of supplying; a large number
of titles to many readers outside of Vancouver, and the instructors have oeen requested to restrict the number of additional
realiugs to ten.  In this the Library has received complete
cooperation; consequently, the Extension Library has been able to
.meet the reading demands of students registered in correspondence
courses. 25
AbFERENCE DIVISION
The Reference Division of the Library is largely
responsible for assisting users in obtaining information which
they desire.  If a person knows of a particular book which he
wants, he may obtain this directly from the Circulation Division;
but, if he desires all the information available in the collection
on a subject, he must usually apply for assistance at the Reference
Desk.  The demands upon the staff of the Reference Division make
it incumbent upon them to be familiar with indexes and guides to
subject fields, and if trie Reference Division had unlimited time
at its disposal, it would theoretically be possible to wake readila
available any publication in the Library.  This ideal situation
will never be realized, but attempts are made to permit the
Reference Division to give more attention to its proper responsibilities.  For instance, the transfer of the receipt of government publications to the Serials Division freed the staff of the
Reference Division from some of its routine duties.
Most of the work of the Reference Division is performed
in the Aldington Reference Room.  This room is large and attractive
but some structural defects still prove troublesome. There is real
need for acoustical tile on the ceiling behind the Reference Desk,
anl the lights directly above the Desk are badly placed.  Many
students use the Ridington Reference Room as a study hall because
it is pleasant and well lighted.  The fact that this room is more
comfortable than the other large reading rooms in the Library-
attracts students at all hours the Library is open.  This use ef
the Ridington Room as a study hall makes it difficult for persons
v/ho are trying to use reference works shelved there.  Frequently 26
a student who desires to use a periodical index or an encyclopedia
can find no seat near the volumes.  To correct this situation, six
tables in the Ridington Reference Room were reserved for the use
of persons studying volumes shelved in the room; out it has been
found difficult to keep other students away from these tables.
Perhaps no attempt at making proper use of space in the Library
will succeed until the University furnishes adequate study hall
facilities elsewhere, on the campus.
The Reference Division has several special reading rooms
under its control, and it probably will have others.  The
Howay-Reid Collection of Canadiana has been serviced during the
last year by a library assistant on the staff of the Reference-
Division.  During the first part of the year the Howay-Reid room
was open mornings and afternoons, but this was later reduced to
afternoons only.  The responsibility of the Reference Division to
staff a large number of desks made it impossible to keep an
assistant in the Howay-Reid room during the entire day, but this
caused little hardship since the Howay-Reid Collection is not used
by many University students.  A professional cataloguer could
spend full time profitably in the Howay-Reid Collection, but since
the room is now staffed by an inexperienced library assistant it
would be unwise to have nim there for the entire day.
During most of the past year the Fine Arts Room was open
afternoons, but, in response to frequent appeals from members of
the Department of Architecture, the room Is now open also in the
evenings.  The Fine Arts Heading Room will shortly be known as the
Dr. Sedgewick Memorial Reading Room, since the valedictory gifts
of the Classes of 194$ and 1950 have made it possible to transform 27
part of the area into an attractive "browsing room".  New
lighting and flooring have been ordered, and after these are
installed new furniture and bookcases will be added.  Considerable
time has already been devoted by the Reference Division to selecting volumes 'diich will be shelved in the Dr. Sedgewick Memorial
Reading Room.  Every book purchased for this collection should be
distinguished for its readability and appeal to college students.
Tne Dr. Sedgewick Memorial Reading Room would not have
been possible without the assistance- and support of a number of
persons.  President MacKenzie received the proposal favourably and
encouraged the Librarian to draw up plans for its development;
and, after the Class of 1950 assigned its valedictory gift, the
President recommended to the Board of Governors that an additional
grant be made available to the Library for this purpose.  At the
suggestion of the President, the Librarian asked the Home Economics
Department for advice and help in furnishing the room; and the
Head, Miss Black, requested Miss Carlene Rose to undertake this
task.  Miss Rose deserves very special recognition for her work
in connection with the Sedgewick Room; she has spent many hours
gathering information about materials and in the preparation of
designs for the furnishings.  Professor S. C. Morgan's valuable
assistance in the selection of suitable lighting fixtures for the
new reading room also deserves acknowledgment.
During the past year the nsference Division opened one
new reading room, that created for students in Medicine.  At the
request of the Faculty of Medicine, the balcony at the east end
of the Ridington Reference Room was designated as a Medical Reading
Room; and here bookcases and furniture have been provided. 2$
a professional librarian with training in the sciences, Miss Ann
Vlag, was engaged to work in the medical Reading Room; and her
salary and that of student assistants who serve in tne Medical
Reading Room are paid by the Faculty of Medicine.  Dean Myron
weaver participated in the discussions regarding the medical
Reading Room until after Dr. Sydney Friedman, Professor of Anatomy,
joined the Faculty.  Dr. Weaver named Dr. Friedman as the member of
the Medical Faculty who was to work with the Library, and
Dr. Friedman and members of the Library staff have conferred on
many library matters.  The Faculty of Medicine transferred funds to
the Library for the purchase of books and periodicals, and
publications in the field are being acquired at a rapid rate.
The receipt of these will present additional demands on the
Catalogue and Serials Divisions, but their use in the Library should
not pose difficulties since the Medical Reading Room is a reality.
The Reference Division also gave attention to sorting
the maps in the Library.  In a large area on the 7th level in the
stacks, Miss Doreen Taylor, a library assistant in the Reference
Division, and other members spent many hours during the summer
months sorting and classifying almost 10,000 maps.  Three map
cabinets were built for storing the sorted maps and more are
needed.  The maps in our possession should be catalogued and
arranged so that they can be found quickly, and additional maps
should be acquired to round out our collection.  The Administration
has been asked for funds for a map librarian for the next fiscal
year; and, if money for this purpose is forthcoming, the Reference
Division will have under its aegis a room for the care and use of
map s. 29
in attempts to assist students and members of Faculty
to find material which they need on subjects, the Reference
Division is often obliged to go outside of our own walls.  Publications cited in bibliographies are borrowed from other libraries
In the region or from larger libraries at a distance.  During the
past year the Reference Division borrowed 276 volumes from other
libraries arid loaned Y)2  volumes from our collection.  In addition,
the Reference Division secured 23 sets of photostats and 34
pieces of microfilm for the use. of persons at this University.
It is likely that the amounts of photostats and microfilm acquired
in this way will Increase, since many libraries are not disposed
AW  -***?
1 erul
nd volumes of periodicals and rarer materials in their
possession.
The Reference Division is concerned with the whole
problem of facilitating the use of the Library and makes a number
of attempts tc introduce students to the materials here and to
cur services.  Miss Smith has given lectures on the use of the
Library before classes in Agriculture, Physical Education, Nursing,
Physics, and other subjects, and the staff of the Reference
Division cooperates with members of the English Department in a
Library project for first year students.  None of these devices
really answers the problem of making students better acquainted
with the Library.  Perhaps there is no solution other than to
require students to take a course in library methods, and no
large number of the student population should be required to do
this.  Special attention should be given to making graduate
students acquainted x\Mth Library facilities.  A number of the
departments require their honours students and graduate students 30
to take a course in bibliography or research methods, and the
Library could assist in tiiese courses in calling attention to th^
library resources which a graduate student should know.
The attention of many students Is directed to library
Materials through displays arranged by the Reference Division.
Outstanding among the many popular exhibits presented last year
-were the two of oooks sent to the University by the British Book
Council.  These and a. tea held in connection therewith were
arranged by Miss Mary Rendell, First Assistant in the Reference
Division.  Among the more successful smaller exhibits should be
mentioned that on glass blowing 'which featured objects designed
and made by Mr. Lees of the Physics Department.
An additional responsibility was undertaken last year
by the Reference Division after Professor Geoffrey Andre'/, Assistant to the President, asked the Library to act when administration
oliMces are closed as tae university information center.
Files of press releases and of other records .useful in answering
queries about campus activities are now kept at the Reference Desk,
and here the librarian on duty in the evenings or on Saturday
•afternoons replies to all telephone calls for general information
about the University.
In this, my last report as Librarian of the University,
I wish to acknowledge the assistance I have received from you
as Chairman and from other members of the Library Committee.
I also want to express my gratitude for the cooperation I have 31
had from members of the Library staff, the Faculty, and the
Administration and my deep appreciation of the friendliness
1 nave found at the University of British Columbia.
Respectfully submitted,
Leslie ','/. Dun lap
Librarian 32
aPPlNDIX a
LIBRARY STAFF, Sept. 1949 - Aug. 1950
ADMINISTRATION
Dunlap, Leslie W.
Fugler, Ethel
Corfield, Rachel
Librarian
Secretary
Clerk
Appointed  Resigned
July, 1949 -
June, 1947 -
Sept. 1949 -
REFERENCE
Smith, Anne I'M
Rendell, Mary
Fraser, Doreen
Head of the Division
First Assistant
Senior Librarian
, Margaret
Joan
Mackenzie
O'Rourke,
Kent, Grace
Lamont, Helen
McDonald, Isabel
Pearce, Catherine
_>alrd, Don
Senior
Senior
Junior
Junior
Junior
Junior
Librarian
Librarian
Librarian
Librarian
Librarian
Librarian
Library Assistant
Library Assi
Library Assi
Dendy, D'Arze
Foster, Mrs. Helen  J   . __
McCormick, Mrs. Dorothy Library
Penny, Mrs. Goldie Library Assi
Pilton, James Library Assi
Reid, Robert Library Assi
Taylor, Doreen Library Assi
wilson, mrs. Marian oenior clerk
Sept. 1930 -
March, 1947 -
July, 1947 - trfd. to
Serials Div., May, 19*0
July, 194$ -
July, 194$ -
July, 1950 -
July, 1950 -
Aug. 1947 - Aug. 1950
July, 1950 -
Sept. 1949 - trfd, to
Serials Div., May, 1950
stant  Sept. 1949 - June, 1950
stant  Sept. 1949 - May, 1950
Assistant Sept. 1949 - April, 1950
stant  Sept. 1949 - May, 1950
stant  July, 1950 -
stant  May, 1950 -
stant  July, 1949 - Aug. 1950
July, 1944 -
catalogue
Jefferd, Dorothy Head of the Division
McCloy, Mrs. Doreen First Assistant
Howieson, Margaret  Senior Librarian
McCloy, T. R,
Barton, Ann
Norbury, May E.
Bonis, Lydia
Fitz-James, Mrs.
Boving, Denise
Senior Librarian
Junior Librarian
Junior Librarian
Library Assistant
Monica Library Assis
Junior Clerk
Cumrning, Mrs. Lillian Clerk 1
Kierans, Mrs. Ruby Clerk 1
Zacharias, Mrs. Frances Clerk 1
Smith, Mrs. Margaret
Senior Librarian
(part time)
Jan. 1915 -
Sept. 1939 - Oct. 1949
Trfd. from Circulation
Div., Sept. 1949
May, 1947 - Sept. 1949
Aug. 1950 -
July, 1950 -
June, 1950 -
tant Sept. 1949 - May, 1950
Nov. 194$ - June, 1950
Aug. 1947 - Aug. 1950
Dec. 1949 -
Dec. 1947 - Dec. 194^
Oct. 1949 - Feb. 1950 CIRCULATION
Lanning, Mabel
nead of the Division
First assistant.
Howieson, Margaret   Junior Librarian
.ercer, Eleanor
urser, Alan
Library Assistant
Eraser, Michael
hunter, nrs. Re1la
Library Assistant
Library Assistant
Preston, .rs. Charline Library Assistant
Sumpt on, firs. Anna
heale, Robert
Farmer, Helen
Moses, nrs. Noreen
Rolfe, Dorothy
Steele, Mrs. Assia
Blackburn, aarbe
Fori, mrs. Suzette
L o c k e, Mr s. Ge o rg i na
Library Assistant
Stackroom Attendant
Clerk 1
Clerk 1
Clerk 1
Clerk 1
Junior Clerk
Junior Clerk
Junior Clerk
Apr. 1930 -
Oct. 193$ -
Oct. 1945 - trfd. to
Catalogue Div. Aug.
1949.
Sept. 1949 - trfd. to
Serials Div, May, IgpO
May, 1950 - Aug. 1950
Dec.-1947 - Sept. 1949
Sept. 1949 - Apr. 1950
Sept, 1949 -
Sept. 1945 -
Sept. 1949 - May, 1950
Oct. 1949 - trfd. tc
Serials Div, May, 1950
Sept. 1944 -
Sept. 1949 - Mav, 195-0
July, 1950 -
Sept, 194c^ - Apr. 1950
July, 1950 -
AC.PD'IblTlQwS
Rothstein., Samuel Head of the Division
Fraser, Mrs. Helen   Junior Librarian
Grigg, naomi
hearsey, ^velyn
Arm! ta .;e, Douglas
Library Assistant
Clerk III
Clerk 1
De orunner, Fred Clerk 1
Forsythe, Mrs. Yvonne Clerk 1
Matthews, Joyce Clerk 1
Aylen, Dorothea      Junior Librarian.
(part time)
Sept. 1947 -
Trfd. from Serials, May,
1950 -
•JniiA
194$ -
January, 192.3 -
Trfd. from Serials, Mav,
1950 - June, 1950
July, 1950 -
July, 194$ -
Sept. 1949 -
Jan, 1946 - May, 1950
PlRIaLS (formerly PERIODICALS)
.banning, Roland
Eraser. Doreen
Fraser,  Mrs,   lie Ten
oaird,   Don
Brandt, Beatrice
Fraser, Alan
Armitage, Douglas
Head of the Division
First assistant
Junior- Librarian
Library Assistant
Library Assistant
Library Assistant
Clerk 1
Apr. 1929 -
Trfd. from Reference Div.
May, 1950
June, 1947 - trfd. tc
Acquisitions "Div.,
May, 1950
Trfd. from Reference Div.
May, 1950 - Aug. 1950
May, 1950 -
Trfd. from Circulation
Div. May, 19^0 - Aug.
1.950.
Sept. 1949 - trfd. to
Acquisitions Div. may,
1950 ■DlRJ-aLS   (Cont.)
j.loyd,   Mrs.  Margaret    Clerk  1
Moses,  Mrs.  Noreen        Clerk 1
Cun-dill,   Pars.   Pauline  Clerk
(part time)
Bindery
July, 1950 -
Trfd. from Circulatio
Div. May, 1950
Aug* 1947 - May, 195C
Brooks, oi, W.
JuiiSmuir, Wm.
Darner, Mrs. Lucille
Dorman, Mrs. Inez
Pulfer, Mrs. Hazel
Bookbinder
Bookbinder
Bindery worker-
Binder]'' vrorker
worker
bet. 194$ -
Apr. 1950 -
'Rune, 1950 -
April, 1950 -
Oct. 194$ -
iXTnoSlOb LIBRARY
Stewart, Editn.
oay c e, Elizabeth
Senior Librarian
Clerk L
July, 194$ -
July, 1949 - \ 'n
APPENDIX B
MRCULaTION  STATISTICS,   Sept.   1949 -  August  1950
oept.
1949
Jet.
19A9
nov.
19i:9
Dec.
192^9
Jan.
1950
Feb.
1950
Mar.
1950
1  Aor.
1950
bay
I95O
June
1950
July
1950
AUg.
1950
Totals
Loan Desk
9,b73
12,597
12,946
6,145
12,673
13,451
12,072
5,/o?3
17,322
a., 774
2,433
4,753
3,393
87,470
D^sp.rve  Book
Room
5,50V
19,932
21, tS27
W?75
14,243
17,019
22,933
172
153
3,960
2,933
134,274
Periodicals
noom
612
1,712
iyy
453
2, 071
2,L39
2,558
595
_
—.
—
—
12,627
Reference
Room
318
979
iyy
437
1,447
1,562
2,001
6>;
139
122
469
361
9,634
Fine  Arts
Room
404
703
611
365
660
996
329
yi
25
46
65
163
5,313
rr-,r\rr- ,=•   r  ri
lb i di-xjO
16,516
35,923
33,215
21,225
31,094
35,667
40,398
24,540
2,110
2,804
9,247
6,561
249,318

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.libsenrep.1-0115304/manifest

Comment

Related Items