Open Collections

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

Fifteenth Report of the Library Committee to the Senate 1944-10

Item Metadata

Download

Media
libsenrep-1.0115296.pdf
Metadata
JSON: libsenrep-1.0115296.json
JSON-LD: libsenrep-1.0115296-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): libsenrep-1.0115296-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: libsenrep-1.0115296-rdf.json
Turtle: libsenrep-1.0115296-turtle.txt
N-Triples: libsenrep-1.0115296-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: libsenrep-1.0115296-source.json
Full Text
libsenrep-1.0115296-fulltext.txt
Citation
libsenrep-1.0115296.ris

Full Text

 THE UNIVERSITY OF  BRITISH  COLUMBIA
FIFTEENTH     REPORT
.   of the
LIBRARY COMMITTEE
to
THE SENATE
Covering the Financial Year
April 1943 - March 1944.
October, 1944. The University of British Columbia,
Vancouver, Canada.
President N. A. M. MacKenzie, M.M., LL.M,, LL.D., K.C.,
Chairman of the Senate,
The University of British Columbia.
Doar Sir:
As Chairman of the Library Committee I
have the honour to submit, for the consideration of
Senate, the Fifteenth Report of the Librarian of the
University, covering the period from April 1st, 1943, to
March 31st, 1944.
All of which is respectfully submitted.
T. Larsen
Chairman.
October 14, 1944. REPORT OF THE LIBRARIAN
Prof. T. Larson,
Chairman, Library Committee,
T/ie University of British Columbia.
Sir:
I have the honour to submit, for the information of ths
Library Committee, the Fifteenth Report of the Librarian of the
University, covering the financial year April, 1943 - March, 1944.
The Howay Collection
Tjic outstanding evo.nt of the yoar was the acquisiton of
the magnificent historical collection bequeathed to the Library by
Judge F. W. Howay, of Now Westminster.  Judge Howay once remarked
that although his library was the result of fifty years of
collecting, it was nevertheless not a collector's library. Rather
it is a student's library, that was gathered slowly and patiently
over a period of half a century as interest widened and study became
more' intensive.  It is thus highly personal, in the sense that it
contains relatively little that does not relate to Judge Howay's
own special fields of interest and research.
The collection consists of about 2200 bound volumes, and
about a thousand pamphlets.  The bulk of them relate to western
Canada and the northwest coast of Anerica.  In addition to the
standard voyages and travels, Juoge- Howay made a point of collecting
the supplementary material that frequently adds so much to the official
publications.  Thus the portion of the library relating to Captain
Cook includes the accounts of the third voyage printed by Ellis,
Rickman, Lcdyard, and Zimmerman, transcripts or photostats of several
unpublished journals, and an array of losser items.  The Vancouver
collection is rich in comparable material.  The library includes - 2 -
practically everything in print relating to the maritime fur trade,
and in addition contains a long series of logs and journals in
transcript or photostat.  In one small particular Judge Howay may
be said to have yielded to the collector's instincts.  He was greatly
' interested in John J.witt's celebrated captivity at Nootka Sound,
and through the years he built up the most complete collection of
books by and about Jewitt on this continent, He possessed allthe
rare editions of the Journal and Narrative, and the University should
be able to fill in tne minor gaps remaining in the series, as copies
appear on the market.
The library includes a fine run of early Imperial blue
books, a wealth of material on the history of the Canadian Pacific
Railway, a large collection of speeches and pamphlets on the Oregon
boundary question, a remarkable collection of books of travel touching
upon British Columbia, and several very valuable newspaper files. Of
the latter the outstanding item is the only extant complete run of the
N~w Westminster British Columbian for the years I86I-69. This was
originally the property of tho founder and first editor of the paper,
the Hon. John Robson.
In accordance with the provisions of Judge Howay's will,
his library has been separately shelved in a locked room,. Books from
the collection must be used in the building, under the personal
supervision of the Librarian; and use is restricted to senior students
and such "accredited historical and other scholars" as the Librarian
may admit.
Bequests and Gifts
The Howay Collection inevitably overshadows the numerous
other gifts which, in an ordinary year, would themselves have made
the period a notable one for the Library, A collection of about 150 - 3 -
architectural books and portfolios was bequeathed to the University by
Mrs. J. C. M. Keith, widow of the architect of the new cathedral in
Victoria. Many of them relate to the Gothic period, upon which
Mr. Keith wan an authority.  Dr, H. V. warren, of the Department of
Geology, presented his bound sets of The Times Weekly Edition and the
London Observer, for the years 1929-1942, consisting in all of 40 volumes.
Dr. Warren proposes to give subsequent years to the Library as they are
completed. From Mr. Isaac Burpee, of Portland, Oregon, the Library
received a photostat copy of the Reports,and Correspondence of Colonel
Bulkley, of overland telegraph fame. The original manuscripts, which
cover the years 1865-67, are in the Portland Public Library. Dr. Robie
L. Reid presented a collection of Yukon Territory Ordinances, Journals,
and Sessional Papers, mostly relating to the years 1905-1911. Mr. W, C.
Shelly presented his copy of the Hexaglot Bible, in 6 volumes. Mr,
William Dorbils gave the Library a number of Victorian novels in their
original "three-decker" editions.  They include some well-known titles.
Mr. Tadeusz Dowbor presented a collection of about 100 books and
pamphlets relating to Poland. Mr. W. J. Irwin, of North Vancouver, gave '
to the Library his sets of the Makers of Canada and Canada and its
Provinces. Mr. Harold Daly, K.C., of Ottawa, presented 19 volumes of the
Debates of the Canadian House of Commons. Judge Helen Gregory MacGill
donated a number of her own publications, including the various editions
of her Law for Women and Children in British Columbia. Mr. A. S, McMr-ster
presented 64 issues of Fortune, including some of the rare early numbers,
which helped the Library complete its file.  Other numbers of Fortune
came from Mr. W. J. McCann. Miss Helen Darling presented 19 bound
volumes of old illustrated weeklies, including the Graphic and the
Canadian Illustrated News. Similar material of later date was - 4 -
received from Miss Alice.Keenleyside^---.--^ iK*»d
of one or two good runs of such periodicals, and these two gifts
will assist greatly toward that end.  Other gifts included 16 volumes
from tho E. R. Bingham estate, 60 volumes of the World's Best
Histories series (many of which wore new to the Library) from Mrs, D.
MacKenzio, and 6 volumes from Mr. J. Duff, of Sidney.  Other individuals
to whom the Library is indebted for books or periodicals include
Dr. R. G. Trotter, of Kingston, Ontario, Mr. G, H. Selous, Miss Lillian
Copej Dr, E. R. Buckell, Mrs. H. W. Green, Mrs. William Muir, Mrs. R. A.
MacPherson, and Miss M. L. Bollert. Members of the staff of the
University have been most generous to the Library.  In addition to
Dr. Warren, to whom reference has already been made, thanks are due- to
Professor F. H. Soward, Dr. M. A. Cameron, Professor Archie Peebles
(who donated 21 volumes, including a set of Carlylc and Froude's Lifo),
Professor J, M. Turnbull, Dean F. M. Clement, Professor W. H. Gage,
and Professor A. C. Cooke,  Organizations that contributed publications
varied widely in character, and included the Huntington Library, the
Salvation Army, the Canadian Medical Association, and the Carnegie
Endowment for International Peace,
In conclusion a word should be said about the scores of
annual reports, handbooks, yearbooks, briefs, and similar publications
that reach the Library each year.  It is impossible to list them
individually, and the tendency is to take their arrival for granted.
Actually, they are of great use, and well deserve mention even in a
summarized list of the Library's accessions. - 5 -
The Book Collection
A total of 4,087 volumos were accessioned during the year
in the regular scries, and an additional 1,158 volumes of the Howay
Collection were- accessioned in a new special scries, making a total
of 5,245 volumes in all. This is several thousand volumes lass than the
number received by the Library during the year, but tho Cataloguing
Department has been temporarily overwhelmed by the inflow of gifts,
and at the date of this report work is still badly in arrears. The
number of books acquired by purchase was about the same as in 1942-43.
Allowing for unaccessioned duplicates, unbound files, etc.,
the total number of books in the Library at the end of the year was
not far short of 150,000,  If due allowance were made for the thousands
of government documents that are neither accessioned nor bound, the
total would be substantially above that figure.
Circulation
A further sharp decrease in circulation occurred in 1943-44
as compared with 1942-43, and it is noteworthy that most of this decrease
was in the reserve books category. As shown by the accompanying
statistics, circulation of reserve books fell from 55,452 to 39,202.
Similar declines have taken place in most libraries, but certain local
circumstances that have contributed to this decrease may be noted:
(a)  students are able to purchase many more books than formerly, and
many hundreds of them own books they would otherwise have borrowed from
the Library; (b) military drill and women's war work occupy hours that
would otherwise be spent in the Library;  (c) the open-shelf system for
reserve books, as explained in a previous report, improves service
greatly but substantially reduces the number of book loans recorded; - 6 -
Circulation Statistics
(a)  Total loans, by years;
General
1941-42
1942-43
1942-44
57,955
47,405
42,576
Reserve
66,742
55,452
39,202
Total
124,597
102,857
81,778
April
M*y
June
July
August
September
October
November
December
January
Fe bruary
March
f  Nursing
(b) Monthly statistics of circulation;
1942-43
Reserve
General
3966
956
1325
2814
1729
2222
6446
6559
2722
3797
6910
5819
2140
Total '"General
47405
8167
12123
3298
14
970
879
95
1420
1197
2222
5036
2239
961
2690
1140
1450
3672
23^8
5150
8600
15046
10741
17300
5634
5197
7919
236^6
3833
7630
4433
6856
13766
5809
7316
13135
5563
-
2140
102857 '
2470
55452
42576
1945-44
"Reserve
6994
39
92
1738
596
1246
5247
6020
2968
4395
4540
5327
39202
Trr
Total
10292
918
1289
3977
1736
3644
10397
11654
5334
8828
10249
10890
2470
81778
f  Circulation from Nursing and Health Reading Room,
which is reported annually, -. 7 -
(d) there are proportionately many fewer-.senior and. graduate, students,
owing to the war, particularly in the social sciences and the
humanities, where the use of books is greatest; and (d) finally, it is
clear that there has been a widespread tendency recently to place-
much greater emphasis on textbooks, with the inevitable result that
the reading of many of the students covers a much narrower range than
before.
Generally speaking, from the Library point of view, the
good student is as active and interested as ever, and reads as much
as time permits; on tho other hand the reading standards of the average
student have definitely fallen.
At the date of this report there is some reason to think
that the bottom of the curve has been reached, and that the use of
required reading and other books is now increasing.
Special services .given by the Library to various outside
groups wore continued in 1943-44. Study groups, evening course
students, and others registered with the Department of University
Extension borrowed 2,95b books and 4,173 plays during tho last
academic year.  Reference to the loaning of gramophone records is made
elsewhere. Students taking Directed Reading .Courses made less use of
the Lxbr.ary than usual, and only 593 books were mailed out during tho
year. Extra-mural borrowers, most of whom us d the Library only
occasionally, but a few of whom borrowed numerous books, numbered 130.
Missing Books
The number of books found to be missing at the time of the
annual inventory in May, 1943, wos 389.  This was substantially lower
than in previous years. Moreover, 201 of these books h-ve since been
recov^rod, looving 1  not loss of only 188 volumes. - 8 -
As the number of books missing in May, 1944, was no more than 396,
there is reason to hope that such losses may be held within
reasonable limits.  The totals given include many small items of
no great consequence, and serious losses have not been numerous.
In this connection it is interesting to note that the volume of the
Grande Encyclopedic- stolen from the reference shelves two years ago
was returned last autumn anonymously, through a public messenger
service,
A total of 151 titles, valued originally at $420.64, were
withdrawn from the catalogue following the annual inventory. Those
included books worn out, as well as volumes that had been missing
for two years.
Hours
Except for a brief period before examinations the Library
w~s open in the evening on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday only.
These have always been tho busiest nights of the week, and there is
no indication that attendance on Thursday and Friday evenings would
be sufficient to justify the expense of heating , lighting and
staffing the building.
The relaxation of the dimout regulations was a welcome
relief, as it made it unnecessary to darken the main reading room
at dusk, as was required by the authorities in 1942-43.
Reference Department
The Reference Department had a busy year, and its work was
complicated by the- difficulty in securing student assistants.  It became
-quite evident that, for the time being at least, a full-time clerical
assistant would have to be employed instead of students, and this change
has been made since the termination of the period covered by this report* - 9 «
Considerable attention was given to displays, the high
light of the year being a series of seven exhi-bit-s-oomposed of
objects from the collections of Dr. L. S, Klinck.  The items shown
included superb specimens of Royal Copenhagen porcelain, Swedish
and Danish stoneware, Venini and Lalique glass, Danish and French bro
bronzes, Jensen silver, Swedish pottery, Danish pewter, and Royal
Doulton china. These displays aroused much interes amongt the
faculty and students, and many people unconnected with tho
University travelled to the campus to sec them.  Drapes, racks,
and other accessories required for the exhibits were kindly made
available by the Display Department of the Hudson's Bay Company.
The map collection continues to expand rapidly - so
rapidly, indeed, that it has been quite impossible to keep tho
accessioning, let alone the cataloguing, up to date. The most
important single acquisition was a set of the- military maps of the
Department of National Defence, made available (subject to certain
wartime restrictions) by the Adjutant-General of the Canadian Army.
Another interesting and most useful collection was secured by
writing to all the cities, towns, and municipalities in the
Province. Almost all of them issue official maps, and with one or two
exceptions copies were gladly supplied free of charge. Purchases
included a number of large dissected and folded maps, furnished with
eyelets, specially designed for classroom use.
A total of 583 maps were backed with linen during the year,
thanks to the special appropriation made by the Board of Governors.
A second appropriation, made available at the end of the financial
year 1943-44, will make it possible to back several hundred
additional maps. The collection as a whole now consists of more than « 10 -
2,000 items, and has far outgrown the drawer 'space available.
Instruction of special groups in the bibllagraphx ef
their subjects fields, and in the use of the Library, is now a
regular feature of the work of the Reference Department.  Classes
assisted in this way included the Public Health Nurses, the Geology
Seminar, 3 groups of Social Work students, Physical Education
students with playground experience, 4th and 5th year students in
Civil Engineering and in Forestry, and all first year studonts in
Agriculture.
Interlibrary Loans
The number of loans arranged in recent years rose from
178 in 1941-42, to 185 in 1942-43, and to 222 in 1943-44. Volumes
borrowed totalled 122, and those loaned 100. Many of these loans
involved much correspondence, and the service is at times a serious
burden to the Reference Department. Fortunately the Library is able
to make use of the Pacific Northwest Bibliographic Center, in Seattle,
and its locating service is invaluable. However, this service is
limited to books, as libraries are expected to make their own requests
for periodicals, transactions, etc., listed in the Union List of
Serials.
Government Documents
Work on government documents was greatly hampered by the
impossibility of securing student helpers.  The bright spot of the
year was the completion of the new document room in what was
formerly part of the women's commonroom, in the basement. Special
shelves have been provided to accommodate the folio-size cases
required for the publications of the British Government and the
Dominions (other than Canada), and this has made the work of filing
and handling very much easier and quicker.  When the shelving in « 11 «
the new room is completed, it is hoped that all uncatalogued
documents, including duplicates, can be accommodated there.
In addition to the many hundreds of documents received
direct from the various governments, many valuable items were
secured by gift or by exchange.  One large collection consisting in
all of over 1500 pieces was presented by the office of the B» C.
Financial Times.  Other substantial collections came from tho
University of North Carolina Library, and the Library of tho University
of Chicago,  Dr. L. 3. Klinck contributed a most useful collection of
agricultural pamphlets.
The Library Catalogues
All books accessioned, with the exception of those in the
Howay Collection, have beon fully catalogued and placed on the-
shelves.  In spite- of this the Cataloguing Department is badly in
arrears and the staff is consistently overworked.  The Howay
Collection alone represents a full year's cataloguing for the
Department, and only the fortuitous circumstance that it happens
to fall within a field in which the Librarian has special
competence and can therefore do a portion of the cataloguing, has
enabled the work to proceed even at the present modest pace,  It
seems probable that an increasing number of gifts, large and small,
will come our way in future, and the addition of another trained
librarian to the staff cannot be postponed long.
The work of the department has been complicated further
by the steady increase in the number of cards added to the Library
of Congress depository catalogue.  In 1941-42 the new cards numbered
63,633. Last year the total rose to 77,614. This year it has risen
to no less th...n 84,202, or approximately double the number received - 12 -
annually during the first few years after the original catalogue
arrived. There are now 192,891 cards in the supplementary catalogue
in which are included only the cards received since August, 1942,
About 60 of the 160 volumes that will comprise the
printed version of the Library of Congress catalogue have now been
received. It is still expected that publication will be completed
by the end of 1945. The cards from several hundred of the drawers
in one of the depository catalogue cabinets have been removed,
boxed up, and placed in storage, in order to make room for the new
supplementary catalogue.
Periodicals
The lot of the Periodicals Librarian in these days is
anything but a happy one. Subscription rates tend to rise, even
for English journals, though these are squeezed to wafer thinness,
appear less frequently than usual, and on much poorer paper. Many
American periodicals no?/ refuse new subscriptions, even from
libraries, owing to the paper shortage, and some make no effort
v/hatever to answer letters.  Individual numbers lost in transit, or
removed by thoughtless readers, are frequently impossible to replace,
at least for the present. Shortage of staff and increased demand
make it difficult even for such a large dealer as the H. W, Wilson
Company to gather together any considerable stock of back numbers.
Important periodicals continue to suspend publication, the latest
deaths being the Bankers Magazine and the Journal of Documentary
Reproduction. On the other hand, a few journals have reappeared,
after lapses of varying lengths.  These include International Affairs
(now printed in Toronto), Discovery,, and the Journal of Comparative - 12 -
Pathology and Therapeutics.
Despite unfavourable conditions, efforts to add to the
Library's periodical sets, and to fill the gaps in those already
acquired, have continued unabated. Noteworthy new sets acquired
during the year included the following:
Journal of the American Dietetic Association, v. 1(1925) to
date (!■>eking a few issues),
Annals of Philosophy, v. 1-28, 1812-1826 (all published).
The Auk, v. 29 (1912) to date.
Endrocrinology, v, 2 (1916) to date.
Eugenical News, v. 1 (1916) to date.
Food Research, v. 1 (1936) to date (lacking some issues).
Human Biology, v. 1 (1929) to date.
Journal of Higher Education, v. 1 (1930) to date (lacking
3 numbers).
Journal of Svcial Philosophy, v. 1-6, 1935-1941 (ceased
publication with v. 7)
Journal of Wildlife M..-. np.-a-uent, v. 1 (1937) to date,
Monist, v. 1-46, 1890-1936 (all published).
Petermann'o Geographische Mitteilungen, v. 1-36, 1855-1890.
Quarterly Journal of Speech, v. 9 (1923) to date.
Research Quarterly (American Association ...Physical
Education), v. 1 (1930) to uate.
Transactions, American Society for Metals, v. 2 (1922) to date
(lacking 1 volume).
Substantial additions were made to many of the Library's
periodical files, including the following:
Bulletin, American Geographical Society.
Transactions, American Pomological Society.
Annals of Mathematics.
Asia.
Studies and Reports, International Labour Office.
Journal of American Folklore.
Journal of Applied Sociology
Journal of Philosophy,
Modern Language Notes.
. Psychological Review
Special Libraries.
Time and Tide.
New subscriptions placed during the year included the
following titles:
Booklist (for the Extension Library).
African Affairs (sequel to the Journal of the Royal - 14 -
African Society, of which the Library has. a,  oompl.^t*'**rt.l-». -
Business week.
Canadian Psychological association Bulletin.
Canadian Review of Music and Art.
University of Toronto Commerce Journal.
Labour Monthly.
Modern Language Quarterly.
.Partisan Review.
Refrigerating Engineering.
Renaissance.
World Economics.
In addition to these, a score of subscriptions were placed for the
new Department of Home Economics, the titles varying from American
Cookery, Food Industries, Vogue, Harper's Bc-.zaar, and the Journal
of the American Medical Association to the Womcn's Wear Daiiy.
Emphasis in this department is on current use, and it is doubtful
if backf iles are required or desired.  In some instances, however,
the Library already had substantial holdings, notably in the case of
the Journal of tho American Medical Association.
S Some years ago the Library was able to send the Library of
the University of Chicago a large number of British Columbian and
Canadian documents.  Recently a large shipment of material was
received in exchange, and this included runs of the Proceedings of
the American Philosophical Society, the Proceedings of the American
Political Science Association, the Berliner Mathematische,
Gesellschaft Sitsungsberichte, and the Bulletin of the New York
Mathematical Society.
Binding
Conditions and prices changed but little during the year,
and it will suffice to summarize the work done in 1942-44,
New volumes bound totalled 1183; the average cost was
held down to $1.88, as compared with $1.91 in 1942-43, and $1,87 ia - 15 -
1941-42. Paper-covered volumes bound numbered 107. The King's
Printer placed his special stiff paper binding on about 100 volumes
of government documents at an average cost of about 74 cents per
volume. Special items included 24 theses, and 17 volumes of the
Journals of the British House of Commons, the latter being the
last of the long series presented some years ago by H.M. Stationery
Office.  Rebinding, repairs, pamphlet boxes, pamphlet binders, and
miscellaneous supplies absorbed the balance of the appropriation of
$2800.00. This amount proved to be no more than adequate for current
requirements, and, indeed, could be increased slightly to advantage.
Gramophone Records
The- use made of the recordings in the Carnegie Music
Set, and the supplementary collection of records maintained by tho
Department of University Extension, has increased to such a degree
that it is somewhat of a burden to the Library staff, Records must
be checked and handled much more carefully than books, and the work is
time consuming. Nevertheless, the success of the service is most
gratifying. It may be added here that shortage of help has compelled
the Library to discourage use of the pictures in the Carnegie Art Set,
much to the regret of the staff.
The number of records borrowed by individual students in
the academic year 1943-44 was 3,367, as compared with 2,932 the year
before. Records loaned through the Extension Department numbered no
less than 3,960, whereas only 1,120 had' been sent out in 1942-43,
Extension borrowers included 65 organized listening groups scattered
throughout the Province, most of whom received record programmes
regularly by mail, and 14 similar groups in Air Force and Army
Stations. Recordings loaned to student organizations, for instructional - 16 -
purposes, to members of the faculty and staff, and to the Canadian
Broadcasting Corporation (for use during the "UBC Music Hour" over
CBR on Sunday evenings) totalled 2,299.  In all 9,626 records were
circulated during the year. This compares with a total of 6,141 in
1942-43, and only 3,540 in 1941-42,
New Building
Congestion in the stackrooms has now reached such a
point that no relief of any importance is possible unless floors
6 and 7 are equipped with steel shelving, or some addition is made
to the building. The new document room in the Women's Basement
occupies the last corner at present available for expansion. A
major upheaval was necessitated by the arrival of the Howay
Collection, which, by tho terms of the bequest, had to be separately
shelved in a locked stack. When first received it was placed on
temporary wooden shelving hastily constructed in the Librarian's
office, this being the only room in the building where the books
could receive proper protection, a section of the stackroom has
now been partitioned off, and the collection transferred to it.
The general congestion continues to be so great, however, that the
shelves in the office remain in use, and it will obviously be some
time before they can be cleared and removed.
The Librarian has for a year or more been devoting
serious attention to the plan of the wing which it is hoped will be
added to the Library immediately after the conclusion of the war.
Careful study of the problems involved has led to two conclusions;
first, that it would be wise to add to the north end of the present
building, instead of building a south wing, as was intended formerly,
and, secondly, that it would be much wiser to place the new wing - 17 -
alongside the Library, with its main axis running east and west,
instead of having it extend outward.  This would result eventually,
when the south wing was built, in a U-shaped building, with the
stackroom in the centre, where it would be immediately adjacent to
every large room in all three units of the completed building.
Preliminary sketches for the first part of this new plan
have boon drawn up, and the accommodation provided may be
summarized as follows:-
Basement floor:  receiving and shipping rooms, storage
space, offices and filing rooms for the
Periodicals and.Binding Department.
First floor (level of main entrance hall):  Reserve
Reading Room seating about 175; new quarters for
the Cataloguing Department.
Second floor (main reading room level):  Reference Room,
seating about 180; Map and Print Room; Exhibition
lobby, between present Reading Room and the Reference
Room.
Third floor (level equivalent to floor 8 in stackroom):
12 Faculty studios, and Faculty lockers; 7 subject
roomsor seminars; Treasure Room {x,o  handle all
books, circulation of which must be closely restricted,
including the Howay Collection), with adjacent stack-
room.
The plan contemplated includes the addition of a complete new
7*-floor unit to the present stackroom, and, in addition, a new 8-floor
supplementary stackroom between the present stack and the main portion
of tho new wing. When fully equipped, the additions proposed would
accommodate at least 375,000 books. As the Library now possesses
150,000 volumos, and has grown 150% in the- last 19 years, this
capacity cannot be regarded as excessive.
The cost of the whole scheme, not including stackroom
equipment, and before any allowance is made for certain very necessary
changes in the present building, has been roughly estimated at
$443,000. - 18 -
Finances
The Library budgets for the last two years included the
following appropriations:-
1942-43 1943-44
Books and Magazines $ 11,810.00         $ 11,830.00
Equipment 530,00            450.00
Binding 2,850.00           2,800.00
Supplies and Expenses   1,900.00 1,900.00
$ 17,090.00 $ 16,980.00
The appropriations for isooks and magazines were
supplemented in the course of the year as follows:-
Fines money $ 849.50
Directed Riding Courses 150,00
Gramophone Records 100.00
Home Economics Special
. Grant 750.00
Backing of maps 300,00
Howay Collection expenses 550.00
In addition the sum of $2,702.95 was carried forward, against orders
outstanding at tho beginning of the new financial year, A total of
$17,232.45 was thus available for expenditure. At the end of tho year
$3,691.96 was carried forward. Expenditures during tho financial yoar
thus amounted to $13,540.49. This compares with $13,267.79 in 1942-43.
Staff
follows:-
The Library Staff on March 31, 1944, was composed as
Librarian's Office
■ '■i^iihW ■!- «■ ■ ■  .h ■■ ii-.h.iii
W. Kayo Lamb, Ph.D. Librarian
Evelyn Hearsey Order Clerk
M. Alexander Stenographer
Reference Department
Anne M. Smith, M.A., B.L.S. Head
Dorothy Chatwin, M.A., B.L.S. Assistant - 19 -
Cataloguing Department
Dorothy M. Jefferd Heed
Dorcen Woodford, B.A., B.L.S. Assistant
(on leave of absence)
Margaret Gillandcrs Accessions Clerk
Periodicals and Binding
Roland J. Lanning, B.A., B.L.S, Head
Circulation Department
Mabel M. Lanning, B.A., B.L.S.  Head
Eleanor B. Mercer, M.A., B.L.S. Assistant
Eleanor Gibson, B.A., B.L.S.   Extension
One staff change took place during the year. Miss Dorocn
Woodford, vti o has served in the Cataloguing Department since 1939,
was granted leave of absence as from March 1, 1944, when she joined
the W.R.C.N.S,  The Library was fortunate in being able to persuade
Mrs. M. K. Ccckburn, who resigned from the Cataloguing Department in
October, 1942, to return for a few months, until such time as a more
permanent appointment could be arranged.
Library Committee
The Committee appointed by Senate in October, 1943,
consisted of the following meoabers:-
Dr. J. C. Berry     Representing the Faculty
of Agriculture
Dr. A. E. Hennings   Representing tho Faculty
of Applied Science
Prof. T. Larson  )
Dr. W. A. Clemens )  Representing the Faculty of Arts
Dr. M. Y. Williams)
At the first meeting of this Committee Prof. Larson was
elected Chairman for the year 1943-44. -, 20-
Conclusion
It is a pleasure once again to acknowledge the assistancej
courtesy, and co-operation that the Librarian has received from
the. Library staff, the Library Committee, and the Faculty and
Administration of the University.  Tho staff continues to carry on
with undiminished enthusiasm, de-spite the fact that every member is,
by any ordinary standard, much overworked. Sincere thanks are due
to the Library Committee and its Chairman for the freedom of action they
have accorded tho Librarian, Finally, a special word of thanks is due
the retiring President of the University, Dr. L. S. Klinck, for the
time and attention he has devoted to the Library and its problem, not
only in the yoar under review, but throughout the many years of his
incumbency. Tho fact that we have today by far the- largest and best
equipped university library in Canada vest of Ontario is duo, in no
small d3groet to his interest and support.
Respectfully submitted,
W. KA.YE LAMB,
Librarian,
October, 1944.

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            data-media="{[{embed.selectedMedia}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
https://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.libsenrep.1-0115296/manifest

Comment

Related Items