Open Collections

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

UBC Publications

Twelfth Report of the Library Committee to the Senate Mar 2, 1942

Item Metadata

Download

Media
libsenrep-1.0115292.pdf
Metadata
JSON: libsenrep-1.0115292.json
JSON-LD: libsenrep-1.0115292-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): libsenrep-1.0115292-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: libsenrep-1.0115292-rdf.json
Turtle: libsenrep-1.0115292-turtle.txt
N-Triples: libsenrep-1.0115292-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: libsenrep-1.0115292-source.json
Full Text
libsenrep-1.0115292-fulltext.txt
Citation
libsenrep-1.0115292.ris

Full Text

Array THE UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
TWELFTH      REPORT
of    the
LIBRARY  COMMITTEE
to
THE  SENATE
Covering the Financial Year
April 1940 - March 194-1
February,  1942 The University of British Columbia,
Vancouver, Canada.
President L. S. Klinck, M.S.A., D.Sc, LL.D.,
Officier de l'Instruction Publique,
Chairman of the Senate,
The University of British Columbia.
Dear Sir:
As Chairman of the Library Committee I have the
honour to submit, for consideration of Senate, the Twelfth
Report of the Librarian of the University, covering the
period from April 1, 1940 to March 21, 1941.
All of which is is respectfully submitted.
BLYTHE EAGLES
Chairman.
February 12, 1942. REPORT OF THE LIBRARIAN
Dr. Blythe Eagles,
Chairman, Library Committee,
The University of British Columbia.
oir:
I have the honour to submit, for the information of the
Library Committee, the Twelfth Report of the Librarian of the
University, covering the financial year April, 1940 - March, 1941.
In most respects the routine work of the Library continued
in much the same fashion as described in previous reports. The
event which made the year memorable was the retirement, on
August 31# 1940, of Mr. John Ridington, Librarian of the University
since the institution opened its doors in the autumn of 1915* '/Then
Mr. Ridington was appointed the Library consisted of a few thousand
books, stored in packing cases. At the end of his quarter of a
century of service it consisted of over 120,000 volumes, and many
thousands of pamphlets, housed in a modern fireproof building.  It
had become the second largest library in Western Canada, with a
book collection which is in many respects notable, and which is
surpassed in size and variety only by that of the Provincial Library
and Archives, in Victoria. This rapid growth was due in no small
measure both to Mr. Ridington's breadth of vision, and to the
indefatigable perseverance and enthusiasm with which he urged the
Library's needs and possibilities upon the Library Committee, the
authorities of the University, his colleagues in the library
profession, and all whom he could interest in its progress and
welfare. - 2 -
Upon his retirement Mr. Ridington was appointed Librarian
Emeritus. At a ceremony held in the office of the Librarian, the
President, the Deans of the Faculties, and past and present members
of the Library Committee joined in the presentation of a personal
momento, in the form of a portfolio of art reproductions.
The Book Collection
In recent years the book collection has grown at the rate
of slightly more than 5,000 volumes per annum.  On March 31, 1938,
the number of volumes accessioned had reached 109,829. Two years
later, on March 31, 1940, this had increased to 119,830. During
the year under review the total rose to 124,975, or  a further
increase of 5,145 volumes. When allowance is made for unaccessioned
duplicate volumes, the total number of books in the Library on
March 31, 1941, was approximately 129,000.  It is interesting to
recall that the book collection consisted of only 55,000 volumes
when the Library was moved from Fairview to the new building at
Point Grey in 1925, and it has thus more than doubled in size since
the transfer.
Although the Library receives a substantial number of
books by gift or exchange, the bulk of the new accessions are
acquired by purchase. Many of these must come from the United
States, and the Library has suffered considerably from the increased
costs of Importation which have been occasioned by the war. To the
cost of purchasing United States funds (llf«) must be added the War
Exchange Tax (10fo), and between them these charges increase the
cost of an American publication by no less than 2lf0, _ 3 -
In the fall of 1940 the British Columbia Library
Association, under the presidency of Miss Anne Smith, Reference
Librarian of the University Library, made a vigorous effort to have
the exchange tax removed from books. Librarians all across the
Dominion joined in the effort, which received editorial support in
many leading newspapers. Thanks to this campaign Miss Smith was
able to bring the matter to the personal attention of the Minister
of Finance, Although no general relief was secured, the campaign
did result in one most important concession - the cancellation of
the exchange tax on gifts. Had this not been granted, the Library
might easily have found itself in the position of not being able to
accept gifts from the United States because it could not afford to
to pay the tax levied upon them. Even official publications of the
United States Government, sent free to the Library, had been valued
and taxed, and the value of the concession, both in cash and in the
elimination of delay and inconvenience can be imagined.
Gifts.
All gifts received by the Library are given a nominal
valuation for purposes of record,- and even upon this very conservative basis the publications presented during the year were
valued at $1,418.00, This total does not include a host of books and
pamphlets received on exchange, nor does it take into account the
thousands of government documents which reach the Library each year,
One of the most interesting gifts received was an edition
of the works of Justinian, printed in 1478, which was added to the
Stedman memorial collection.  It is the second oldest volume in the
Library. - 4 -
Copies of the original quarto editions of the Voyages of
John Meares (1790) and of the Voyages of Alexander Mackenzie (1801)
were presented to the Library by Mrs. R. C. Boyle. The books were
accompanied by a number of contemporary plates and charts.
Another interesting gift came from Mr, J. T. Bealby,
formerly of Nelson, B. C, Mr, Bealby is well known in British
Columbia as a writer on agricultural subjects, but many will be
surprised to know that he has translated a number of noted works
from the Swedish.  One of these was Sven Hedin's Scientific.Results
of a Journey in Central Asia, a monumental work in six volumes,
published in 1899-1902. Mr, Bealby presented to the Library his own
set, •which bears a presentation inscription from the author,  Oddly
enough the fact that Mr. Bealby made the translation was not noted
on the title page.  This fact has been drawn to the attention of the
Library of Congress, whose catalogue card will be corrected and
reprinted in due course.
Miss Beveridge, of Vancouver, presented a number of books
to the Library, including the rare 1864 and 1865 volumes of the
celebrated Godey*s Lady's Book.
As in previous years, members of the Faculty have been
generous donors of books and pamphlets. Dr. E. T. J. Coleman, Head
of the Department of Philosophy, who retired in the spring of 1940,
presented 149 volumes from his own library. These covered a wide
field, including Education, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Economics,
and Classics, A few months later Mrs, Bishop, widow of the late W.B.
Bishop, formerly of the Department of Mechanical Engineering,
presented 198 volumes from Mr. Bishop's library to the Faculty of ~ 5 -
Applied Science, Although housed in the Applied Science Reading
Room, these books have been catalogued by the Library, and are therefore included in its accessions for the year.
Professor T. Larsen presented to the Library his file of
the early Round Table papers, and 18 parts of the publications of
the New Shakespeare Society. The latter are now rare and difficult
to obtain, and were of great assistance in building up the Library's
set. The Library is indebted to Professor F. Ii. Soward for many
books and pamphlets in the field of international affairs; to Dr, Ian
McT. Cowan for ornithological and zoological periodicals; to Miss
Dorothy Somerset for several volumes of plays; and to Dr, M. Y,
Williams for geological and other publications. A special word of
thanks is also due Professor H, F, Angus, who made it possible for
the Library to receive the complete reports of the Rowell-Sirois
Commission without charge, and who secured for the Library many of
the briefs and other documents submitted in evidence.
It is unfortunately impossible even to list the names of
all the friends whose generosity has enriched the Library, but,
amongst others, the following persons presented collections of books
which were of special usefulness, interest, or value:- Miss C. J,
De Vos Van Steenwyck, Vancouver; Mr. Arthur S, Bourinot, Ottawa;
Mrs. Norman Hawkins, Vancouver; Dr, F. W, Munro, Vancouver; Mr,
J. F, Eammett, Eburne; Mr. John R, Palmer, New York City; Mr. W. 0.
Webster, Vancouver; Col. C, E. Edgett, Vanoouver; Mr. Plugh Leech,
Vernon; Mr. D. M. Armstead, New York City; Mrs, Alfred Estabrook,
Vancouver; Mr. W. G, Mather, Cleveland. - 6 -
Organizations and institutions have been as generous to
the Library as individuals, and their gifts have been so numerous
that it is impracticable to do more than indicate the character and
importance of the material received. Thus the Henry E, Huntington
Library, San Marino, California, has sent the Library free copies
not only of its own publications, but of several volumes the research
for which was done in the Huntington Library collections. The
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace has presented the new
volumes of the Canadian-American Relations Series, and these have
been of the greatest value to both staff and students. Assistance
of another kind was given by Yale University Press, which, through
the generosity of a graduate of Yale, was enabled to give the Library
a 50fo discount on an approved list of its publications.  It is
indicative of the spirit of the gift that the discount was extended
to include the United States exchange premium. - 7 -
Circulation Statistics.
1933-34
1934-35
1935-36
1936-3
1937-3
1938-39
1939-40
1940-41
loans, by years:
General
Reserve
Total
50,642
46,261
96,903
55,974
41,008
96,982
61,229
41,727
102,966
52,880
49,075
66,066
101,955
55,005
121,071
61,167
76,329
137,496
63,393
62,513
125,906
62,592
65,767
128,359
(b) Monthly statistics of circulation:
1938-39
1939-40
General
Reserved
Total
General
Reserved
Total
April
3361
"" 8690	
12051
3544
7819
11363
May
3924
-
3924
812
-
812
June
1378
_
1378
1393
-
1393
July
3807
3465
7272
4304
3637
7941
August
2655
2236
4891
2816
2004
4820
September
2493
2349
4842
2847
2442
5289
October
7209
9831
17040
8283
8234
16517
November
8094
12170
20264
8289
11090
19379
December
3936
6330
10266
3626
4654
8280
January
7246
8748
15994
8358
6745
15103
February
7682
9395
17077
9184
7258
16442
March
7282
13115
20397
8137
8630
I6767
yfNurs ing
2100
-
2100
1800
-
1800
61167  76329  137496
63393   62513
125906
1940-41
April
3653
8133
11786
May
1151
-
1151
June
939
75
1014
July
4260
4140
8400
August
2810
2379
5189
September
2199
1592
5;?1
October
7218
9451
16669
November
9364
11523
20887
December
4112
6291
10403
January
7816
6584
14400
February
8782
6008
14790
March
7888
9591
17479
fNursing
2400
- .
2400
62592  65767  128359
#Circulation from Nursing and Health Reading Room, which is reported
annually. - 8 -
Circulation.
As the accompanying tables indicate, the volume of
circulation has varied little in recent years. The Eleventh Report
of the Librarian tabulated circulation statistics only to March 31,
1938, and for the sake of continuity the figures for the last three
fiscal years have been included here.
Library hours were extended by half an hour in the fall
of 1939, when it was decided that lectures should commence at 8:30
a.m., instead of at 9 o'clock. Service is now given from 8:15 a.m.
to 9:45 p.m. from Monday to Friday, and from 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. on
Saturday.
The Loan Desk and Reference Department continue both to
receive and to make complaints about the books which have been transferred to the so-called departmental libraries, and to the Applied
Science Reading Room.  In theory they are subject to recall if
required in the main library, but in practice the staff cannot take
the time to go and collect them if they are required quickly. More
serious is the complaint that the books are not available for use
after 5 p.m. This applies particularly to technical volumes, requests
for which are made frequently by advanced students, and also.by
engineers and others among the extra-mural readers, who visit the
Library in the evening,
It is gratifying to be able to report that the number of
books found to be missing at the time of the annual spring inventory
has declined somewhat in recent years, and that the proportion of
these volumes recovered subsequently has increased. Thus in May, 1938,
the number of books missing was 635. A year later 248 of these, or - 9 -
39f« were back on the shelves.  Of the 641 volumes missing in May,
1939, 4-3% were recovered within a year. In May, 1940, the number
of books missing fell to 590, of which 295, ox  exactly 50% were
found to be on the shelves once more in May, 1941. These figures
are encouraging, but book losses remain at what seems to be an
unreasonably high level.
Stack room regulations remained unchanged in 1940-41, but
the problems presented were under consideration throughout the year.
More direct supervision of students entering and leaving the stack
room was obviously desirable, and it was equally clear that the
number of permits issued was too large.  Between 65O and 700 permits
were issued under the existing regulations, whereas there are never
more than 60 seats available. A reduction of about one third is
planned for the session 1941-42, and it is possible that this may
be cut still further in subsequent years.
Periodicals.
The war has caused many changes and raised serious problems
in the Periodicals Department,  German publications ceased to arrive
after the issues for August, 1939, and journals from France, Italy,
Belgium, Holland, and most other European countries, were held up
after June, 1940,  The National Research Council made arrangements
whereby Canadian universities might, through it, purchase periodicals
from enemy countries, which were considered essential for scientific
research; but after consultation with the heads of the teaching
departments concerned, the Library decided not to continue any of
its journals by this means. Most of the other Canadian university
libraries seem to have come to the same conclusion.  In view of the - 10 -
paper shortage abroad, and the very limited editions in which many
foreign journals are now appearing, the completion of the Library's
sets will present a difficult, and probably costly after-the-war
problem.
Directly or indirectly as a result of the war, several well-
known journals have suspended publication. In England the casualties
include the famous Oornhill, as well as Politica, German Life and
Letters, Discovery, Science Progress, and Scientific Horticulture.
The Library has complete files of all.  In the United States the
"deaths" have included Scribners, Forum, and Colophon. Many British
publications have lessened their frequency of publication - monthlies
have become bi-monthlies, and even quarterlies. Loss in transit has
increased substantially, but all things considered, it has been
remarkably light. The time in transit has increased greatly, and a
climax was reached in December, 1940, when five weeks* mail arrived
in a single shipment.
In spite of everything, a few notable new periodicals have
made their appearance, including the Music Rev lev/.
Costs have risen sharply in the periodical field. All
United States publications must be paid for in American funds,
purchased at a premium of 11%.  In addition, the 10% war exchange
tax applies to many periodicals as well as to books. It is true
that most of the scientific journals can secure exemption by making
formal application in the required form, but this procedure took
time, and in the interval the Library was compelled either to pay
the 10% or leave its periodicals in the Customs warehouse, pending
a decision by the authorities in Ottawa, For the moment the department is not suffering seriously, as the money which xvould normally - 11 -
be spent on German, French, and other continental subscriptions is
available to meet the cost of exchange and taxes; but the fact
remains that the Library is paying substantially more for many of
its periodicals than it did formerly.
Four new sets of some size were purchased in 1940-41:
files of the Canadian Naturalist and Geologist; of Le Canada Francais
and its predecessor, Parler Francais; of the Economic Record
(Australia), and of the London. Mathematical Society Journal. It
was also found possible to make substantial additions to the Library's
files of the American Journal of Physiology, the publications of the
American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, the American
Naturalist, the British Yearbook of International Law, and the South
African Journal of Economics, Chief of the gifts was a long run of
its Transactions, presented by the Royal Canadian Institute,
A new edition of the Union List of Serials is in preparation,
and the work of checking the Library's files was completed during
the year under review. The University of British Columbia will be
represented in the new edition by approximately 3000 entries.
Publication is expected sometime in the summer of 1942,
Binding,
The ''five-year plan," under which the Library received for
a period of five years an annual binding appropriation of $3,500.00,
to enable it to overtake arrears dating from the depression, ooncluded
with the financial year 1939-40. The grant for 1940-41 amounted to
$2,650.00, which it was hoped would prove sufficient for current
requirements. Unfortunately a rise in the cost of materials, due to
the war, raised the cost of binding by more than 10%, and the - 12 -
appropriation proved inadequate. An additional $500.00 was transferred to the binding fund from the sum provided for the purchase
and distribution of reprints, and current requirements and a few
lingering arrears were thereby dealt with.
A total of 1666 volumes were bound during the year. In
addition 610 pamphlet boxes and 78O pamphlet cases were purchased.
An interesting item was the purchase of 40 special cases to hold
the publications of members of the Faculty. These are filed in
the Librarian's office.
The average cost of binding per new volume in 1940-41 was
fl.90, as compared with |l,70 in 1938-39, and $1.72 in 1939-40.  In
view of this increase, the binding appropriation for current requirements was raised in the budget for 1941-42 from |2,650,00 to
|2,850,00.
The Library Catalogues.
As already noted, 5415 volumes were accessioned during
the year, all of which were catalogued and placed on the shelves.
In addition, the cataloguing of the picture collection progressed
satisfactorily, and the end of this work is in sight. The picture
catalogue has brought about a much more extensive use of the Library's
collection, both for teaching purposes and by outside inquirers,
A total of 57,561 cards for the Library of Congress
Depository Catalogue were received and filed in 1940-41. They
brought the total number of entries up to 1,718,704. The filing
cabinets are now filling up rapidly, and additional drawers will
become necessary within two or three years at longest. - 13 -
The cataloguing of the British sessional papers, over 400
volumes of which have now been bound, is well under way. Library
of Congress cards analyzing the set were purchased, and these have
greatly facilitated the work.
The Cataloguing Department is most fortunate at present
in having a fully trained librarian in its clerical post, as
Accessions Clerk, The post is held by Miss Doreen Woodford, who
is responsible for the routines of accessioning, labelling, and
various processes preparatory to cataloguing. The excellence of her
work has contributed not a little to the department's successful
effort to keep the cataloguing of new accessions reasonably up to
date.
Reference Department
The activities of the Reference Department were described
in some detail in the Eleventh Report of the Librarian, and only the
changes and developments which have taken place recently need be
dealt with here. The service the department renders is greatly
appreciated by both staff and students, and the Reference Librarian
and her assistant are frequently swamped with inquiries and pleas
for assistance of all kinds.
The Reference Department is responsible for inter-library
loans, and for a time Customs restrictions imposed after the outbreak
of war made it virtually impossible to continue to borrow books from
or lend books to libraries in the United States, Fortunately a
direct personal appeal and statement of the case to the local
Collector of Customs solved the difficulty; and the courtesy with
which the Collector treated the inquiry and dealt with the matter was
greatly appreciated. - 14 -
The most interesting development of the year was in the
matter of displays. A series of art and poster exhibits was shown
in the main reading room, some of which attracted much attention.
The old shelving in the wall cases in the main hallway was removed,
and a number of experiments made with various forms of electric
lighting. A satisfactory solution of the problem having been
worked out, the cases were equipped with permanent fixtures during
the summer of 1941. Judging by the number of inquiries and comments
which have resulted, the displays are well worth while.
For a time the future of the Library's important and
growing collection of government documents was jeopardized by the
imposition of the war exchange tax, to which reference has already
been made. Even though most of the documents received from foreign
countries, and notably from the United States, were being supplied
free of charge, the new regulations compelled the Customs officers
to require that every item be valued and duty paid thereon at the
rate of 10%, Fortunately the campaign instituted by the British
Columbia Library Association was successful in securing the exemption
of gifts from this tax, and documents are now received as before,
without cost to the Library.
The Library continues to develop its exchange relations
with other institutions. During the year under review exchanges on
a piece-for-piece basis were arranged with the Institut Agricole
d'Oka, in Quebec, the University of Pittsburgh Library, and the
University of Washington Library. Some 760 pieces were exchanged in
all, enabling.the Library to fill gaps in its document collection,
and to dispose profitably of a number of duplicates. - 15 -
The Problem of Accommodation.
The probelm as to how to accommodate more books and more
students becomes more pressing year by year. So far as the stack,
room is concerned, some relief was secured by the building of wooden
shelving on the west wall of floors 1 and 3, during the summer of
1940, About 1100 feet of shelf room were thus provided. This made
it possible to reshelve large sections of the book collection, and
to give some relief to the most crowded classifications. Similar
shelving can be added to floors 2 and 4, and present indications are
that this will be required urgently by the autumn of 1942,
After the completion of the Brock Memorial Building, where
a room was made available to members of Faculty, the Faculty
Association gave up the room in the Library which it had occupied
since 1925.  In September, 1940, this room was converted into a new
periodical and reading room, with seating accommodation for 64 readers.
This raised the number of seats available in the various reading rooms
from 357 to 421. While it is true that the former Faculty Room had
been made available to the students in the last weeks of each term,
when overcrowding was most serious, the pressure on accommodation is
now so great at all times during the session that permanent possession
of the room benefits the students considerably.
Main Reading Room
The maintenance of discipline in the main reading room is
becoming most difficult, the two chief causes being overcrowding and
noise. There would seem to be little that can be done about the
overcrowding, unless an addition is made to the building.  In part
this is due to local conditions, for the absence of dormitories on <- 16 -
the campus, and the distance separating the University from the city,
prevent the students from working, at home, as many of them would do
if curcumstances permitted, The new Brock Memorial Building has not
relieved congestion to the extent that was hoped, since students are
not permitted to study there.  In the absence of any alternative
study hall, students naturally crowd into the Library, whether or
not they have at the moment any particular need for its special
facilities.
Overcrowding inevitably causes noise, particularly at the
end of the lecture period, when scores of students wander about the
reading room in a vain search for an empty chair. Nevertheless it
is clear that most of the noise in the room, and the lax discipline
in which it inevitably results, arises from the design and construction
of the Library itself. The present main reading room was designed
originally as a concourse, and its faults spring from that fact.
There is no barrier whatsoever between the reading room and the
hallways and staircases. If a student talks even in the basement
he can be heard distinctly in the reading room, two stories above.
The revolving door in the main entrance to the building adds to the
turmoil. In addition the Loan Desk, at which talking and telephone
are essential, is situated in the middle of the reading room.
Finally, the room itself is unfortunately a thoroughfare. Regardless
of the kind of service a reader is seeking, he must cross the room,
and while so doing he can hardly fail to disturb at least a score of
students.
This state of affairs cannot be corrected completely unless
extensive and costly alterations are made to the Library building;
but it is clear that noise would be reduced very greatly if the - 17 -
reading room were screened off from the hallways. It would seem
therefore to be worthwhile investigating the practicability of
placing swing doors on the landing of the stairways leading to the
reading room, and of building a plate-glass screen into the central
archway separating the reading room and the main hallway.
Finances.
The Library budget for the last three years has included
the following appropriations:
1938-39      1939-40 1940-41
Books & Magazines      f> 10,250.00 * 10,800.00 $ 11,750.00
Binding                3,500.00     3,500.00 2,650.00
Equipment                355.00      510.00 510.00
Supplies & Expenses       1.600.00     1,800.00 1,800.00
$ 15,705.00 I 16,610.00 $ 16,710.00
Books &  Magazines.  Of the total of |ll,750.00
appropriated in 1940-41, $700.00 was for the Department of University Extension, leaving $11,050,00 for the Library proper.  To this
sum were added fines collected (*7l6,35), a grant of $550.00 for
books for Summer School, and a special appropriation of '?250,00 for
the Department of Commerce. As stated elsewhere, it was found
necessary to transfer $500.00, to binding, and the final total
available for the purchase of books and periodicals was therefore
|12,766.35. Orders outstanding on March 31, 1940, for which
provision was made from previous appropriations, totalled
$3,002.35, while the orders outstanding on March 31, 1941 and
carried forward into the new year, amounted to §4,409.02,
Expenditures from the appropriation actually completed during the
financial year thus amounted to £11,359.68.
Binding.  Owing to the sharp rise in binding costs during - 18 -
the year 1940-41 the appropriation proved inadequate for current
requirements, and it was necessary to supplement it from the sum
provided for books and magazines.
Supplies & Expenses.  For some years the appropriation
under this heading has proven inadequate to meet essential expenses,
and it has been necessary to divert various balances from other items
in the Library's budget to meet the deficit. This practice is
obviously unsound as a long-term policy, and if the budget total
cannot be increased sufficiently to provide the sum actually required for supplies, it would seem to be wise to recognize the fact
frankly, and adjust the other items accordingly.
Staff.
The Library staff, on March 31, 1941, was as follows:.
Librarian's Office
W. Kaye Lamb, Ph.D.
Evelyn Hearsey
Christina McGregor
Ref erenc e Department
Anne M. Smith, M.A,, M.L.S.
Dorothy B, Kelly, M.A,, B.L.S.
Catalogue Department
Dorothy M. Jefferd
Mary K. Cockburn, B.A., B.L.S.
Doreen Woodford, B.A,, B.L.S.
Periodicals and Binding
Roland J. Lanning, B.A., B.L.S.
Circulation Department
Mabel II. Lanning, B.A., B.L.S,'
Eleanor 3. Mercer, M.A,, B.L.S.
Jean G. Fannin, B.A., B.L.S.
Librarian
Order Clerk
Stenographer
Head
Assistant
Head
Assistant
Accessions
Head
Head
Assistant
Directed
Reading - 19 -
In addition, three full-time pages were employed throughout the winter session, and a considerable number of. student
assistants served part time.
Library Committee.
The Committee appointed by Senate in October, 1937, upon
the recommendation of the Faculties, consisted of the following
members:
Dr. M. Y. Williams      Representing the Faculty of
Arts and Science
Dr. Isabel Maclnnes "> ;!
Professor T. Larsen -s       n
Dr. Blythe Eagles       Representing the Faculty of
Agriculture
Professor A. H, Finlay   Representing the Faculty of
Applied Science
This Committee met on November 10, 1937, and Professor
Finlay was elected Chairman. All the members were reappointed by
Senate in October, 1939, and again in October, 1940.  In November,
1939, though nominated to serve a third year as Chairman, Professor
Finlay declined the office, and was succeeded by Dr. Williams.
In conclusion, it remains for the Librarian to make what
must be understood to be much more than a routine acknowledgment of
the assistance, courtesy, and co-operation which he has received
from the members of the Library staff, the Library Committee, and
the Faculty end administrative staff of the University. The first
months following the appointment of a new librarian are of
necessity a period of adjustment which is none too comfortable for
all concerned; and the loyalty shown by the staff both to their new
chief and to the institution was most deeply appreciated. The
liberty of action accorded to the librarian by the Library Committee
likewise calls for a special word of thanks. Finally, it is my duty - 20 -
and pleasure to acknowledge the assistance given by the President of
the University, Dr. L, S, Klinck, and in particular to mention his
willingness to give time and attention to the consideration and
discussion of Library problems and policy.
Respectfully submitted,
W. KAYE LAMB,
Librarian.
February, 1942.

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.libsenrep.1-0115292/manifest

Comment

Related Items