Rosetti Studios - Stanley Park Collection
Part of the University of British Columbia Archives' Haweis Family fonds, this small collection of sixty glass plate negatives created by Rosetti Photographic Studios document Vancouver's Stanley Park in 1912. Rosetti Studios appears to have operated in Vancouver between 1910 and 1915 under the direction of long-time UBC Library employee Lionel Haweis.
About Lionel Haweis
The son of Reverend Hugh Reginald and Mary E. Haweis (both well-known authors and scholars), Lionel Haweis (the family name is pronounced hoyse) was born in Litchfield, England, and educated at King William's College, Isle of Man and at Marlborough. He was for a short time on the editorial staff of the Daily Mail newspaper, but in his early twenties he left for Ceylon, where he spent seven years as a tea planter and also wrote fiction.
After returning to England, Haweis then emigrated to Canada in 1907, where he opened a photographic studio. Later he moved to Vancouver and opened another business under the name of Rosetti Photographic Studios. The studio was located first on Pender St., and later on Robson St. In 1918 he was appointed to the staff of UBC Library, retiring in 1939.
Lionel Haweis was well-known in the literary life in Vancouver. He was founder of the UBC Arts and Letters Club, and a member of various literary clubs, the Little Theatre, and the Vancouver Overseas Club. In addition to his earlier writings he also authored an Indian ballad (Tsoqualem) and a play (The Rose of Persia). He died in 1942.