Open Collections

The Chung Collection

Chung Logo

The Chung Collection

Northern British Columbia inspection, Princess Mary, Princess Sophia Canadian Pacific Railway. British Columbia Coast Steamship Service 1912

Item Metadata


JSON: chungtext-1.0362839.json
JSON-LD: chungtext-1.0362839-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): chungtext-1.0362839-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: chungtext-1.0362839-rdf.json
Turtle: chungtext-1.0362839-turtle.txt
N-Triples: chungtext-1.0362839-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: chungtext-1.0362839-source.json
Full Text

Full Text

 On S.S. "Princess Sonhia'
■jy  _T—	
--    77/
JUNE 19, 1912 f     /,
Sailed from Vancouver at 10:00 o'clock, "Princess Mary",
Capt* Robertson.  Dock arrangements satisfactory, and there
was no confusion or delay. There was a small passenger list.
JUNE 20, 1912
ALERT BAy   Arrive* 1.23 p.m. Landed one passenger and
took on two. The Cannery has been increased to twice its sise,
but no other improvements have been made, nor has there been
any increase in the permanent population.
JUNE 21, 1912
SWANSON BAY reached at 6:05 a.m.
LOWE INLET 11:30 a.m.  Situated at the end of a very pretty
arm.  Cannery and about twelve houses. Cannery owned by B.C.
Packers. This is a very difficult landing, and can only be made
with suitable tides. The settlement is backed by high mountains
rising abruptly from the sea level. In close proximity to the
town is a very pretty little waterfall, which may be observed
from the deck of the ship.  Pishing is the only industry.
PRINCE RUPERT   Docked at 4:32 p.m. Population in 1911
was estimated at 5,000. This year the Assessor estimates the
population at 4t500, which is in excess of the correct number.
The concensus of opinion is that there are one thousand less
people at Prince Rupert than there were a year ago. This is
caused by the construction work being carried on at the end  of
steel, about two hundred miles inland on the other side of the
Skeena, and also caused by a number of people, finding that the
progress would be slow, and that the railway would not be completed through for another year and six months or more, have
decided to go away for the time being. All street improvement
work has been stopped, as the city has expended one ©illion
dollars in grading streets up to the present time, and funds
are exhausted. Prices of real estate are being maintained, and
there is more or less movement. All other business is quiet, ani
the city has not improved, and it is disappointing in appearance. The Government dock has been completed, and it is a
very good one. The reported sinking of the end of the dock
under pressure of a heavy load is not considered at all serious. The 6..T.P. have taken over the operation of the dock
tased by Foley, Welsh and Stewart, and are re~piling it. They
are also excavating for their station, which will be located
between the wharf and the xtxixancity, the trackage serving
the station as well as the wharf property. They are at present operating a train 164 miles inland, consisting of baggage
car, two colonist cars, and one first class coach. The train
leaves Prince Rupert Monday morning and returns Tuesday night,
leaves Wednesday morning and returns Thursday night, leaves
Saturday morning and returns Sunday night at 8:00 o'clock.
This train formerly arrived at 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon.
In consequence of late arrival we changed the schedule of our
Vancouver boat, making the departure hour 9:00 o'clock, which
gives an opportunity for passengers from the G.T.P. train to
make through connection, instead of waiting for the "Prince
Rupert" Monday morning.  Made arrangements with Mr. McNab t©
go up the G.T.P* line and see that all our advertising and
schedules were ^roperly displayed, and to consider advisability
of appointing a Commission Agent at Haselton. Also arranged
for him to open an Agency at Port Essington on the Skeena
River on a commission basis, enabling passengers to come to
Prince Rupert by launch, or to Tyee on the G.T.P.
Made a trip by motor launch two miles down the harbor to
inspect the new cold storage plant for the Canadian Pish and
Cold Storage Company. They have erected a splendid concrete
building, which cost #400,000.00, erected by the Seattle Construction Company.  It will freeze about 75 tons of fish a day*
Plant has storage capacity of 13,600,000 pounds. They will
ship ten car loads a day.  The building contains over thirty
miles of piping.
The G.T.P, Inn, which is run by the Company, has been remodelled.  The rooms are comfortable;  the table and service
generally in the dining room atrocious. The breakfast and
lunch was hardly fit to eat; the other meals somewhat better.
This hotel is under the management of the Company, and it
could not even compare with the poorest hotel we ever operated
on the C.P.R., and the Management comes in for some harsh
criticism at Prince Rupert.
Heard some conversation of general dissatisfaction on the
Queen Charlotte Islands on account of the G.T.P. increasing
the rates since we gave up the service*
GENERAL OFFICE CONDITIONS satisfactory. Passenger business shows a decrease of §361*00 for 1911 against 1910. For
the first four months of 1912 we show a very good increase.
The number of tickets sold to Vancouver and South has more
than doubled.  It bears out the statement that people are
Sailed early Saturday morning for Observatory Inlet
points and Granby Bay.
JUNE 22, 1912
GRANBY BAY Arrived about 7:00 a*m*  Granby Bay is situated at the head of Observatory Inlet. The smelter people
have a small clearing house on the wharf for passing through
their men, and a general office and warehouse at the head of
the wharf.  The mine is about a mile inland. We were fortunate in finding Mr. Graves, President of the Company, his son,
and Mr. Sylvester, General Manager, at Granby Bay. They were
about to leave for Vancouver, and we held the steamer for the®,
leaving Granby Bay at 9:15. They were returning to Prince
Rupert, thence to Vancouver by the "Prince Rupert", having
engaged their staterooms, but we succeeded in convincing the®
to travel through on the "Princess Mary".
Had a full discussion of their business in connection
with development at the mines, where they have already spent
a million and a half dollars. They are spending a million and
a half additional.  (Private report to Manager Troup thereon.)
POP? TOSQff AflD kMJaMLI  CANNfiPtgg-  These belong to the
Wallace Fisheries, and the two canneries are about 600 yards
apart. We arrived at 11:50 and remained at Port Nelson for
about fifty minutes. It was impossible to land at Arandale on
account of the condition of the tide.
WALES ISLAND CANNERY.  Arrived in the afternoon about
3:00 o'clock. The cannery is in charge of Mr. Des Brisay, an
old New Brunswicker, who gave the name of Charlie Suey of Vancouver, who hires his Chinamen. The Cannery is very modern,
the cans being filled by automatic machinery. He expressed
great satisfaction at our proposed schedule, and also promised
us additional business*
Reached Prince Rupert about 6:00 o'clock, an4»p
£e Port Simpson. No improvements whatever. The two stores
in the place were closed for stock-taking, and the little
village seemed deserted*
JUNE 23, 1912
Left Prince Rupert about 3:00 a.m., and proceeded to
Balmoral and Port Essington Canneries direct.  Decided to
once more establish a commission agency at Port Essington,
in the hopes of getting increased business from the Canneries
when the Chinese move.  It is one of the best fishing ports
on the Inlet.
After leaving Port Essington, called at Claxton, where
there is a large cannery owned by the Wallace Fisheries. They
expressed satisfaction with the proposed schedule, and promised
us additional business.
We Proceeded to Oceanic Cannery, but were unable to land
account low water. A tug was sent out and Chinamen were transferred. We carried a total of 115 Chinese from Vancouver for
the various canneries on the Inlet.
Inverness was the last stop.
We proceeded to Prince Rupert, where we arrived early in
the afternoon, docking at the Government wharf, where we unloaded freight and then proceeded to our proper berth at the
• The "Princess Mary" departed at 9:00 o'clock for Vancouver,
tfrey having secured six passengers off the G.T.P. train, which
arrived at 8:00 o'clock from Skeena River*
JUNE 24, 1912
Spent the entire Tiay at Prince Rupert, visiting Agents and
meeting citiseas, also inspecting cold storage plant as referred
to above.  Departed from Prince Rupert on the "Princess Sophia"
for Skagway about 9:00 o'clock. The steamship did not arrive
at Prince Rupert until 7:00 o'clock, and there was no wireless
message sent, which caused passengers some inconvenience, as
they were obliged to remain around Prince Rupert all afternoon*
The G.T.P. steamer "Prince Rupert" departed at 9:00 o'clock
in the morning for Vancouver, with between 30 and 40 passengers.
Their business Southbound is very poor. They are to commence
next week running one of the boats North to Stewart once a week.
This is being done against the recommendation of their General
Agent at Prince Rupert, who states there is no business at
There are more steamers going into Prince Rupert than there
is business for at the present time. The arrivals are •*
Monday, C.P. from Vancouver
Tuesday, Onion S.S.Co. from Vancouver
Wednesday, G.T.P. from Vancouver
Thursday, No arrivals
Friday, C.P. from Vancouver, and Union S.S.Co.
Saturday, C.P. from Granby Bay, G.T.P. from Vancouver
Sunday, C.P. from Skeena
Monday, G.T.P. for Vancouver, C.P. for Skagway
Tuesday, No departures
Wednesday, Union S.S.Co. for Vancouver
Thursday^, No departures
Friday, G.T.P. for Vancouver, C.P. for Granby Bay
Saturday, Union S.S.Co. for Vancouver
Sunday, C.P. for Skeena River, and C.P. for Vancouver
Reached Exxxss Port Simpson shortly after midnight, where
we were delayed half an hour making a landing. We put off a
Lighthouse Keeper's wife and three children. Cleared about one
o'clock. ' This appears to be a very awkward call for the Alaska
boats. To discuss this call with Capt. Troup, and if he approve
cut it out for the Alaska boats.
JUNE 25, 1912
On "Princess Sophia". Cleared up correspondence.
Called at KETCHIKAN. Our Agent seems more active^
and increased his business in 1911 about #1,600*00, and for the
first five months in 1912 about $800*00.  Everything is going
satisfactorily with the exception of some difficulty with his
baggage at the wharf.  Discussed with Mr. Strong, who is Wharf
Agent. To be taken up with Manager Troup.
Passed into Wrangall Narrows at 8:05 p.m. and cleared the
Narrows at 9:42; one hour and 46 minutes in making the passage,
12 minutes 'tifrffor the time of the May, June 20, 1911, under almost identical conditions. The view was somewhat obscured by
clouds hanging over the Mountains1, and the weather was cold.
Arranged, after discussion with Capt* Campbell, to call at
Taku Glacier Northbound, 7:00 o'clock Wednesday morning, and
had notice posted on the ship to that effect#
JUNE 26, 1912
Reached the Taku Glacier at 7:03. Weather cool. The
water was clear of ice to the right, and we steamed close to
the Glacier, reaching a point within 300 feet of the face.
We had boat and fire drill, and remained about thirty minutes,
taking a sounding with Sir William Thorn son's patent sounding
apparatus directly in front of the Glacier, recording a depth
of 52 fathoms, or 312 feet.
JUNEAU.  General conditions at Juneau practically the
same as last year. There has been no additional building*
Found Mr. Spickett as enthusiastic and active as ever.  Has
given up charge of Post Office.  Expects to be able tcdo more
business for us. Has a slight increase in revenue the first
five months of 1912, and an increase of $6,000*00 for last
year. The Alaska S.S. Company have two additional boats running into Juneau this year, the "Mariposa" and "Alameda".
Had a splendid passage Juneau to Skagway, where we
arrived about 7:00 o'clock shipfs time. We were met by Mr.
Lowle, Agent at Skagway, and after dinner went over the general
conditions at Skagway.  Found everything cleared up so far as
the Passenger Department is concerned.  His office has been
renovated, and is the best ticket office in Skagway. The floor
has been covered with nice linoleum and the walls and ceilings
properly kalsomined.
The Alaska S.S.Company had notified their Agent to make
certain reduced rates for the Elks Convention and Potlatch^,
and the Agent, through a misunderstanding, was prepared to
sell tickets by the "Dolphin", sailing next day. We had a
meeting and decided not to reduce the rates for either the
"Princess Sophia" or the "Dolphin".
JUNE 27, 1912
Spent the entire day at Skagway with Mr. LOwle, interviewing people, and President Dickeson of the White Pass.
We do the bulk of the business out of Skagway, and our service is very popular, and the majority of the people will
travel on a C.P.R. ship whenever they can. The hotel people
informed me that they get more business from our steamships
than any other steamships arriving in port from the South1,
and they were all pleased at the arrangement whereby our ships
arrive at night and remain over a day, as it gives them business.  It also helps out the stores.
The place has not improved. There has been no increase
in population, and business is as quiet as it can possiblf be*
 The Pacific Coast S.S.Co. and the Alaska S.S.Co. have offices
on the main street.
We secured about fifty passengers from Skagway for the
Southbound trip, including some prominent people from the
The greatest satisfaction is expressed in regard to the
"Princess Sophia", and we should have no difficulty in holding
and increasing our traffic from Alaska on this steamship as
soon as she becomes well known.
An incident in connection with Capt. MacLeod of the
"Princess May" is worthy of note. On his last trip he went
through to White Horse, and someone telegraphed that he was
coming, and when he reached there the entire community was
at the station to welcome him. The greater portion of the
passenger business carried on the "Princess Mayf is entirely
due to his influence in Alaska*
i We sailed from Skagway at 7:30 p.m.  The weather was
fine and we had a splendid passage that night, the only
incident of note being a large whale, which came within a
reasonable distance of the ship.  It was about 60 feet long.
JUNE 28, 1912
Reached Juneau about 4:00 a.m., and left about 5:00 a.m.
We secured nineteen passengers out of Juneau. Our Agent and
his wife are both great figures in the community, and I
arranged to give him two additional staterooms on his allott-
ment. We could not better our position in Juneau.  It was
bright daylight at Juneau at 4:00 o'clock in the morninfe.
KETCHIKAN. We reached Ketchikan about 11:00 o'clock.
Took on four passengers, and five tens of ice. Had a very
difficult time making a landing, and the wharfengers were
not on deck to take the lines. Mr. Ryus engaged another man.
Full particulars to be reported to Capt. Troup by him.
JUNE 29, 1912
PORT SIMPSON  Called at Port Simpson but did not get up.
This seems to be a useless call for the Aiaska boats*
PRINCE RUPERT.  Arrived at Prince Rupert about 9:30 and
left about 11:30 a.m.  We carried thirty one passengers from
Prince Rupert South. Had an opportunity to talk to a number
of people and they are all depressed over business conditions.
Our boats are doing well proportionately, much better than
our competitors* The "Princess Mary11 brought up the previous
night 105 Chinese, and a good first class passenger list from
Vancouver. . Our people are active and sharp after business.
This was specially reported to me by a personal friend, who
has been around for a week, and he watched the situation at
the hotel and elsewhere.  He advised that in buying a ticket
to the Quern  Charlotte Islands he found the schedule had been
changed after he boarded the "Prince John" at the dock. They
did not know it at the G.E.P. City office..
Weather conditions fine.  Received mail from Vancouver
and spent the balance of the day looking after it.
Had a splendid and uneventful trip from Prince Rupert to
Vancouver, where we arrived at 7:00 a.m* July 1st. We made
a call at Swanson Bay Saturday about 8:00 ofclock, and at
Alert Bay on Sunday morning, where we stopped for thirty
minutes to allow passengers to see the totem poles.
Careful inquiry among passengers on the ship failed to
bring forth any cause for complaint in regard to our service.
Every one was loud in their praise of the ship and service


Citation Scheme:


Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics



Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            async >
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:


Related Items