The Chung Collection

Chung Logo

The Chung Collection

Circuit tour of Vancouver Island, a seven day trip Canadian Pacific Railway. British Columbia Coast Steamship Service 1932

Item Metadata

Download

Media
chungtext-1.0362835.pdf
Metadata
JSON: chungtext-1.0362835.json
JSON-LD: chungtext-1.0362835-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): chungtext-1.0362835-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: chungtext-1.0362835-rdf.json
Turtle: chungtext-1.0362835-turtle.txt
N-Triples: chungtext-1.0362835-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: chungtext-1.0362835-source.json
Full Text
chungtext-1.0362835-fulltext.txt
Citation
chungtext-1.0362835.ris

Full Text

 -
i^r*A,o53?'
%
CANADIAN
BC- COAST
 1
In tne  Patk  of
Captain Vancouver
around
Vancouver Island
-*-
TPIE "West Coast" trip to Port Alice
via the West Coast of Vancouver
Island has become so popular of recent
years that one or more cruises are being
arranged for this season from Vancouver,
Seattle and Victoria, "Around Vancouver
Island."
Apart from the scenic beauty of this
part of British Columbia, there are interwoven into its history so many interesting
stories of romance and adventure that the
voyager will find much pleasure during the
cruise in linking up with the spirit of those
early days when adventurers and traders
from England, Spain and France visited the
places we shall visit, some in search of furs,
y some to find the North-west Passage, and
others to chart these unknown regions and
claim    what    lands    they    could    find    for    their    respective
monarchs.
The first trip "Around Vancouver Island" was made in
1792 by Capt. George Vancouver in the ships "Discovery" and
"Chatham," who then disposed of the theory held by the
Spaniards that Vancouver Island was part of the mainland
of North America. Unlike Vancouver, who sailed from
England and circumnavigated the island in a small vessel
of 340 tons, we shall sail in the "Princess Mary," a palatial
steamer of 2,000 tons, with accommodation for 160 passengers.
To avoid overcrowding, however, the party will be limited
to  125.
Our cruise starts from Vancouver and, leaving Burrard
Inlet, we pass Point Atkinson and soon reach Point Grey (all
named by Vancouver). It was oft' Point Grey, in April, 1792,
that Capt. Vancouver met the Spanish ships, "Sutil" and
"Mexicana," and learned that Bodega Y. Quadra was waiting
at Nootka to hand over the port to Britain. Vancouver tells
us how poorly equipped were these Spanish vessels, 50 ft. 3 in.
long, 13 ft. 10 in. beam, and of 45 tons, they were totally
inadequate for the work they had to do, but the courage and
courtesy of their commanders, Galiano and Valdez, is highly
spoken of by Vancouver.
VICTORIA, p.m., 1st Day
Our first call is at Victoria, or "The Port of Cordova" as
the Spaniards knew it, where we arrive at 7.00 p.m. Time
will be allowed here to visit the Empress Hotel, Crystal
Gardens and other points of interest, including an ornamental
cairn unveiled on Gonzales Heights in November, 1925, in
honor of the early British and Spanish navigators who
explored this coast towards the end of the 18th century. The
ceremony also marked the 67th anniversary of the creation
of the Province of British Columbia, and the unveiling was
fittingly performed by Capt. Robert G. Barkley, great grand
son of Capt. Charles W. Barkley,
who in the British trading ship,
"Imperial Eagle," discovered the
Straits of Juan de Fuca, in 1787,
and named them after the Greek
explorer who claimed to have discovered a passage in this vicinity in
1592. Vancouver reached these
straits on his memorable voyage at
noon,  April 29,  1792.
BANFIELD,
8 a.m., 2nd Day
Wre leave Victoria at 10 p.m. and
pass out through the Strait of Juan
de Fuca, reaching Banfield about
8 a.m. next morning. Banfield was
named after W. G. Banfield, who
came to this coast in the H.M.S.
"Constance" in 1846. He left the
navy and traded among the Indians, later being appointed
Indian agent and collecting much valuable information on
Indians affairs.
The Pacific cable to Australia via Fanning Island enters
the ocean at this place, the longest portion, 3,540 miles,
between Banfield Creek and Fanning Island, being successfully laid in 1902. Banfield is also the station for the west
coast lifeboat service.
KILDONAN, 10.30 a.m., 2nd Day
This is a cannery station in Uchucklesit Harbor, on the
north shore of the Alberni Canal.
PORT ALBERNI, 1 p.m., 2nd Day
At the end of a delightful two-hour cruise up the Alberni
Canal, we arrive at Port Alberni, situated at the head of the
canal. This town was named in 1791 by Lieut. Francisco
Elisa, of the Spanish navy, after Don Pedro Alberni, who was
in charge of the soldiers of the expedition under Elisa. Don
Alberni planted many seeds brought from Europe, and stated
that all grew successfully except the maize and wheat. He
was  probably the first white  gardener on Vancouver   Island.
The town was incorporated in 1912 and has a population
of about 1,150. It is the western terminus of the Esquimalt
and Nanaimo Railway and of the Island Highway. There
are good hotels, stores, theatres and an excellent harbor,
which can be entered by the largest ships, under their own
steam, at any
time of the year.
Lumber and
shingles are
shipped from
here to all parts
of the world.
UCLUELET,
7.30 p.m.,
2nd Day
Leaving Port
Alberni at 3.30
p.m., we return
down the canal
to     the     Pacific,
arriving at Ucluelet at 7.30 p.m.    Ucluelet Harbor is a well-
sheltered inlet about five miles long, situated at the west end
of Barclay Sound.    It is protected from the Pacific swell by
several  outlying  islands,   and  is  the  base   of  a  large   salmon I
fishing fleet.
Besides its commercial fishing, L^cluelet has several fine
lakes and rivers in its immediate vicinity which offer good
sport  for  the  rod  and  fly.
One of the attractions of Ucluelet is the Fraser's Gardens,
owned and operated by Mr. George Fraser, a horticulturist
who has made a specialty of raising ornamental shrubs. Mr.
Fraser's rhododendrons, hydrangea and * hollies are now to
be found growing in gardens in many cities of the Pacific
Coast.
Ucluelet has a population of about 150 white settlers, as
many Indians, and a few Japanese fishermen. There are
several good stores, a telegraph office, post office, customs
office, two public schools and a small hotel. The government
wharf on the west side of the harbor is at the end of the now
partially completed Ucluelet-Long Beach-Tofino road, which
is listed as part of the Canadian highway and, when completed,
will be an extension of the Vancouver  Island main highway.
This new road will open up territory which will be a delight
to the motor tourists, as it wall bring them to the shores of
the Pacific and give access to the famous Long Beach, which
is about twelve miles long and one-quarter mile wide. Owing
to its hard surface, this probably is the finest ocean beach in
North America.
CLAYOQUOT, 6 a.m., 3rd Day
We remain at Ucluelet until 4.00 p.m., and then sail for
Clayoquot, on Stubbs Island, where we arrive at 6 a.m. Clayo-
quot is taken from the Indian wTord meaning, "another" or
"different," as the Indians of the old days, who were once
quiet and peaceful, changed to a more warlike tribe. It is
about 150 miles from Victoria and the residents engage in
canning, fishing, logging and mining. There is a Government
fish hatchery at Kennedy Lake, good trout fishing and excellent hunting can be enjoyed in this district in season. The
steamer remains here for the night, and we sail at 6.30 a.m.
for  Matilda Creek.
 1858  to  1861.    It  is  a fishing  village  located  on   Cormorant
Island, on the east coast of Vancouver Island.
There is a wireless station and Government long-distance
telephone and is the headquarters of the Department of
Indian Affairs for this district. There is an exceptionally
interesting village and some fine specimens of totem poles and
Indian handiwork.
KNIGHT'S INLET, 5th Day
Leaving Alert Bay at 10.30 a.m., we proceed to Knight's
Inlet. This will be found a very enjoyable part of the
cruise, and the entire day will be spent in running as far as
possible up the inlet and returning.
CAMPBELL RIVER, 6 a.m., 6th Day
We shall not make another port of call until our arrival
at Campbell River. During the night we pass through Johnstone Strait, named by Capt. Vancouver after Lieut. Johnstone, who passed through there in a small boat from the
"Discovery" on July 4, 1792. He returned, after being stormbound for ten days, to report he had reached the Pacific
Ocean.
For the information of those who may be interested, we
would say that Campbell River is the point of departure for
Strathcona National Park and to Campbell River Falls, some
five miles inland, having an unharnessed power of over 70,000
h.p. It is, however, for the salmon fishing in the mouth of
the river that Campbell River has become world-famous
among anglers. The biggest spring and cohoe salmon, some
weighing as much as 80 lbs., are taken here on hook and
line during July and August.
Excellent trout fishing in season is to be enjoyed in Upper
and Lower Campbell Lakes and in Buttles Lake.
COMOX, 1.30 p.m.
We will leave Campbell River at 10 a.m., arriving Comox
after lunch, and will leave again at 4.30 p.m. for Powell
River. The stop at. Comox will give time for a visit to
Quoksita's Well, a spring bubbling up through the sand, and
named after an old chief of the Comox tribe. It was used
from time immemorial by the Indians for its medicinal
qualities.
POWELL RIVER, 6 p.m., 6th Day
The evening will be spent at Powell River, and we leave
at midnight for Vancouver, where we will be due to arrive
at 7 a.m., after what we hope will have proved to be a restful,
interesting and enjoyable  cruise.
 

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.chungtext.1-0362835/manifest

Comment

Related Items