The Chung Collection

Chung Logo

The Chung Collection

Breakfast menu from the Imperial train from 1927 Canadian Pacific Railway Company. Dining Car Service 1927

Item Metadata

Download

Media
chungtext-1.0356973.pdf
Metadata
JSON: chungtext-1.0356973.json
JSON-LD: chungtext-1.0356973-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): chungtext-1.0356973-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: chungtext-1.0356973-rdf.json
Turtle: chungtext-1.0356973-turtle.txt
N-Triples: chungtext-1.0356973-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: chungtext-1.0356973-source.json
Full Text
chungtext-1.0356973-fulltext.txt
Citation
chungtext-1.0356973.ris

Full Text

 Canada«»Co-ifede_*atio_i
1867-1927
Chateau St. Louis
QUEBEC "THE IMPERIAL"
BREAKFAST
Sliced Peaches with Cream 35 Chilled Cantaloupe (Half)  25
Orange Juice... 30 Green Apple Sauce with Cream  25
Bananas, Whole (2).._  25 Orange (Whole)   15, Sliced  20
Stewed Prunes with Cream 25 Sliced Banana with Cream 25
Chilled Honey Dew Melon  25
CEREALS WITH MILK  20    WITH CREAM  30
FISH
Smoked Lake Wi n ni peg Goldeyes.   65
Fish Cakes 40   with Bacon  50
Finnan Haddie, Drawn Butter  65
Grilled Whitefish or Lake Trout, Maitre d'Hotel..  65
FROM THE GRILL
Broiled or Fried Chicken, Half (20 minutes).  1.25
Sirloin Steak   1.50 Small Sirloin Steak   1.00
Broiled Ham.  65        Lamb Chops (I) 45   (2)  80
Bacon (3 Strips)   35   (6 Strips).  65
One Strip Bacon when served with other orders  15
CANADIAN
P A ii F11 C
ROUTE TO
EUROPE
2 DAYS
j|N
SHELTERED
WATERS
0 F THE
ST. LAWRENCE
"THE IMPERIAL"
EGGS, OMELETS, ETC.
BOILED   (one)  20  (two)   35 BACON   AND  FRIED  EGGS   65
FRIED   (one)  20   (two)   35 POACHED  ON   TOAST   (one)  20   (two)..  40
HAM   AND  FRIED  EGGS..   65 SCRAMBLED    35
OMELETS:     PLAIN   45 TOMATO  OR  CHEESE   50 JELLY,   HAM   OR  SPANISH   60
«* ■  '
BRITISH COLUMBIA POTATOES
FRENCH   FRIED  OR   HASHED   BROWNED _   25
SAUTE POTATOES    20
BREAD AND BUTTER SERVICE PER PERSON
FIG   OR   RAISIN   BRAN   MUFFINS   15 CREAM   TOAST H   40
TOAST    15 WHITE  AND  GRAHAM    ROLLS    15
MILK  TOAST   30 RAISIN   BREAD  TOAST    15
HOT   BISCUITS    15 WHITE,   BROWN, and RAISIN  BREAD   10
RY-KRISP   HEALTH   BREAD     10
PRESERVED FRUITS, MARMALADES, JAMS OR JELLIES  25
(in individual jars)
CHERRIES
QUINCE JELLY
STRAWBERRY JAM
RASPBERRIES
BRAMBLEBERRY  JELLY
PINEAPPLE
CRABAPPLE  JELLY
RASPBERRY JAM
ORANGE  OR  GRAPE   FRUIT   MARMALADE
GRIDDLE  CAKES  WITH   CANADIAN   MAPLE  SYRUP  30
PRESERVED   FIGS  35   WITH   RAISIN   BREAD  TOAST.
INDIVIDUAL  CANADIAN   COMB  OR  STRAINED   HONEY  25   WITH   HOT   BISCUITS..
TEA, COFFEE, ETC.
COFFEE,   POT 20   (served with hot milk or cream)
TEA, POT   20 HORLICK'S   MALTED   MILK...   20
COCOA.  POT   25 NESTLE'S   MILK   FOOD    25
INSTANT  POSTUM    20 INDIVIDUAL  SEALED   BOTTLE   MILK    15
SPECIALS
Omelet Fines Herbes	
Calf's Liver with Bacon...
50
  65
Corned Beef Hash with Poached Egg...
65
French Toast with Canadian Honey _.
55
FOR BOTTLED AND OTHER BEVERAGES SEE SPECIAL LIST
WAITERS ARE FORBIDDEN  TO ACCEPT OR SERVE    VERBAL ORDERS
PASSENGERS ARE REQUESTED TO INSPECT MEAL CHECK BEFORE MAKING PAYMENT, AND IN CASE OF ANY OVERCHARGE OR UNSATISFACTORY SERVICE, REPORT THE MATTER TO THE STEWARD IN CHARGE OF CAR OR TO
W. A. COOPER
Manager
Sleeping, Dining, Parlor Cars,
Restaurants and News Service,
im.l.w.—1-8-27 w. MONTREAL
SOUVENIR COPY OF THIS MENU CARD IN  ENVELOPE READY FOR  MAILING   MAY BE HAD ON APPLICATION   TO   DINING   CAR   STEWARD The Chateau St. Louis
IN 1620, on the hill where the Chateau Frontenac now stands,
in the city of Quebec, Champlain began to build a tiny fort,
which was later called fort St. Louis after Louis the Just,
then King of France. Champlain built a larger fort on the same
site in 1626. The English took Quebec in 1629, and this fort
was the headquarters of Sir David Kirke until 1632, when the
Treaty of St. Germain-en-Laye restored Quebec to the French.
In 1633 Champlain again became Governor of New France,
living in Fort St. Louis until his death inside its walls in 1635.
The next year Montmagny, his .successor, rebuilt the fort of
stone, and in 1647 the first Chateau St. Louis was erected within
the new walls.
One after another, the Governors of New France came to dwell
in the little Chateau, and until the English regime began, this
was the centre of the official and social life of French America.
Laval, Jolliet, Marquette, LaSalle, d'Iberville and a hundred
other great figures of those days of romance passed in and
out its doors. In the main hall in 1690 the aged but still fiery
Frontenac told Phipp's envoy who came with the demand for
the surrender of Quebec that the guns of Fort St. Louis would
answer his master.
Frontenac commenced to rebuild the fort in 1693 and the Chateau
in the following year, adding to it a second story and a wing.
This second Chateau St. Louis was completed in 1700, two years
aftet* Frontenac's death. Some years later another wing was
built, and except for minor repairs, the Chateau remained as it
was until the English took permanent possession of Quebec in
1759. Murray repaired it in 1764 and occupied it for the rest
of his term as Governor. It was further restored in 1786, and in
1811 a third story was added. Then it became known as the
New Chateau to distinguish it from Haldimand Castle, which
had been built in 1784 on a site quite close to it. In January,
1834, the Chateau St. Louis was destroyed by fire. Lord Durham
levelled its ruins in 1838 and on the edge of the rock built a promenade which was afterwards incorporated in Dufferin Terrace.
In 1892, on the hill where Champlain built his tiny fort two
hundred and seventy-two years before, the Canadian Pacific
built the Chateau Frontenac in a charming old French style in
keeping with the glorious traditions of the site. Today the
Chateau Frontenac is many times as large as then, but there
still lingers about its lovely rooms and halls the memories of
the lords and ladies of the Chateau St. Louis.

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.chungtext.1-0356973/manifest

Comment

Related Items