Open Collections

The Chung Collection

Chung Logo

The Chung Collection

Canadian Pacific cruises : round the world and Mediterranean, 1925-1926 Canadian Pacific Steamships Limited 1925

Item Metadata

Download

Media
chungtext-1.0354851.pdf
Metadata
JSON: chungtext-1.0354851.json
JSON-LD: chungtext-1.0354851-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): chungtext-1.0354851-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: chungtext-1.0354851-rdf.json
Turtle: chungtext-1.0354851-turtle.txt
N-Triples: chungtext-1.0354851-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: chungtext-1.0354851-source.json
Full Text
chungtext-1.0354851-fulltext.txt
Citation
chungtext-1.0354851.ris

Full Text

 RttfMKD f
*****
uftil tear
W5
km
%
fe i
♦i
i
i
ota
I
4
1
Jsfc,
air
^
A
I
NJQ
-
9
?s
m
r\
before the Ned
a
0gr*
A
Canadian
ITHOGRAPHED IN CANADA
■Jem-    *Z&g$
>•«■
:---ia'. ^3*gS&
mm %_ ■■.■
EMPHESS    of   SCOTLAN
THE stately, spacious flagship of the Canadian Pacific fleet, the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND, has been
chosen for the Round the World Cruise, leaving New York on December 3rd, 1925.
Her great size (25,000 tons gross register and 37,500 tons displacement), her airy rooms, her three ample
promenade decks one of which is partly enclosed, her Empire dining saloon with a capacity of 436
people at one sitting, her inlaid satin wood ballroom, immense oak smoking room, winter garden, palm
garden, cardrooms, lounges,- and gymnasium give to this giant cruise ship all the attractions of an
exclusive club. She has the variety of comfort and cuisine so essential to a four months' trip. Passenger
elevators-connect the eight decks of the vessel, and the oil-burning engines mean that there is freedom
from dirt, dust and soot, and the annoyance caused by coaling or shifting coal at ports.
The itinerary includes twenty-five ports in twenty separate countries with fifty-four and a half days on
shore. The Riviera will be visited at the season's height. Christmas will be spent in the Holy Land,
New Year's Eve in Cairo, India at the most pleasant season of the year, Ceylon, Sumatra, Java and
the Philippines under congenial weather conditions, and China and Japan in cool clear weather. The
Panama Canal will be made before the torrid heat of summer commences.
Page Two
sSSBSsSS^ ^■*NIP»^
EMPRESS    of    FRANCE
SWIFT, graceful, seaworthy and delightful in every respect is the vessel selected for the Mediterranean
Cruise leaving New York on February qth, iqzb. Selected for voyages by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales,
the EMPRESS OF FRANCE has spacious public rooms of unusual distinction. The lounge-ballroom
follows a scheme designed by Sir Christopher Wren, from the Royal Apartments at Hampton Court
Palace, with carved woodwork by noted craftsmen in the style of Grinling Gibbons. The Jacobean
smoking room reproduces fireplace and furniture from celebrated baronial halls, and the book cases in
the library are replicas of those in the Pepys' Library at Cambridge. The old English atmosphere
of the interior is carried out in the dining saloon and cardrooms. Combined with this artistic setting
are all the comforts of an up-to-date hotel, with handsome staterooms most of which are equipped with
four poster beds. Five of the seven decks will be used for passengers, all served by an elevator. A well
equipped gymnasium offers a great variety of exercise.
The Empress of France has a gross register of 18,350 tons and a displacement of 27,500 tons. She
has a speed of iq% knots, is oil-burning, and has twice circled the globe.
Page Three
v,r5>%a*»»»(v -A/A
1
Si*m- *3"K.
Page Four
FOREWORD
TO cruise or not to cruise—that is no longer a question with those who desire to see unfamiliar countries with the greatest travel comfort, and without waste of time. For
combined with the charm of the sea voyage in a spacious vessel are shore excursions, carefully planned under expert guidance, with the convenience of hotel reservations which are
otherwise often difficult to arrange for the individual at the seasons usually favoured for
Cruises. So many are travelling together that one has ample choice of companions, and
friendships are made of a lasting character. Combined with the pleasure of seeing new
worlds is the educational value of such a trip—widening one's horizon, adding to one's
culture, providing an inexhaustible variety of experiences.
The two Cruises described and illustrated in this brochure have the advantage of being
under the management of one transportation company, the Canadian Pacific, which has
had-long experience of world travel and of catering under every condition of climate to the
desires of the fastidious. The Canadian Pacific has offices and agencies all over the world,
and owing to its ownership of a great railway system, a great steamship organization with
ROUND    THE   WORLD   CRUISE
LEAVING NEW YORK DECEMBER 3, 7925, BY THE EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND
AN  ADDITIONAL  PORT OF CALL WITHOUT EXTRA CHARGE
The Empress of Scotland will now call at San Francisco as well as Los Angeles.   Following is revised itinerary:
Madeira
Gibraltar
Algiers
Monaco
Naples
Haifa *
Port Said
Suez .
Bombay
Colombo
Padang
Batavia
Singapore
In Port
Arriving Days Hrs
Dec. 10      1      1
Dec. 13      .10
Dec.
Dec.
Dec.
Dec.
Dec.
Dec.
Jan.
Jan.
Jan.
Jan.
Feb.
10
13
15
17
iq
25
26
27
10
20
28
30
2
17
7
1
13
11
11
15
6
Nautical
Miles
2765
615
425
461
364
1196
170
88
2961
905
1354
582
526
Manila  .
Hongkong
Shanghai
Kobe
Yokohama
Honolulu
Hilo .
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Balboa   .
Cristobal   .
Havana .
New York   .
In
Port
Nautica
Arriving
Das
s Hrs.
Miles
. Feb.    7
1
9
1370
. Feb. 10
3
18
631
. Feb. 16
3
852
. Feb. 21
6
23
780
. Mar.   1
3
13
346
. Mar. 13
. Mar. 15
1
10
9
3394
225
. Mar. 20
. Mar. 23
1
1
13
15
1999
368
. Apr.    2
23
2913
.     . Apr.    3
9
38
.     . Apr.    6
1
1003
. Apr.  10
1213
zsi^ziz^&ztz^zzy^m- Be""*m-I •"-" 1 *» - WM.
M E I
D
I T E
R R A N E A N
LEAVING
NEW YORK
FEBRUARY 9,
1926. ^BY THE
In Port   Nautical
Arriving
Days Hrs.    Miles
Madeira
.  Feb.  16
23        2765
Haifa
Lisbon
. Feb.  19
1       7           532
Alexandria
Cadiz
.  Feb. 21
2    19          242
Venice   .
Gibraltar
. Feb. 24
12             76
Naples
Algiers .
.  Feb. 25
22          425
Monaco
Syracuse
.  Feb. 28
13          690
Cherbourg .
Athens   .
. Mar.   2
1     10.K      400
Southampton
Constantino
PLE
. Mar.   4
z     6         360
Beyrout
.  Mar.   9
.     17         848
CRUISE
EMPRESS OF FRANCE
In
Port
Nautical
Arriving
Days Hrs.
Miles
Mar. 10
6
8
70
Mar. 17
11
6
292
Mar. 3 1
17
1188
Apr.    3
3
816
Apr.    7
20
365
Apr.  13
3
1900
Apr.  13
84  -T-A5??/:     '."' -■'' -;- -t\
w rl
•■
ifvi
JK.,
MADEIRA-LISBON
MADEIRA, an island of mountains thrown up as high as six
thousand feet above the sea by volcanic action from the still un-
fathomed ocean bed was known to the Romans as the Purple
Islands on account of a local dye, and colonized by the Portuguese early in the fifteenth century. Precipitous slopes flank the
island, fluted with deep ravines, which give an almost architectural richness to the pedestal of cliff-bound shores. The fruity
wine produced from its abundant vineyards has given to Madeira a particular fame. Funchal, the capital and port of call, is
radiant with gaily colored houses, lovely gardens and brilliant
costumes natural to a sunny climate. The traveller may traverse the streets in a litter carried by bearers or be hauled over
the cobbles on the curious native sleds. In the evening the
Vigia gardens lit by countless lanterns tempt the visitor with the
magic of colour and the attractions of a Casino. It was at
Funchal that Christopher Columbus wooed and won his wife,
and in the Rua Dereita a tablet marks the site of his home.
LISBON—the name itself is a description of the site—was the
friendly harbour of the Phoenicians, who called it "alis ubbo."
Here the Roman triremes took shelter, here the Moorish eallev
and the Spanish galleon rode at anchor, here the ships of the
crusaders were provisioned for the Holy Land. Lisbon saw the
great Armada in all its glory, and the battleships of the last war.
Terraces of white and tinted buildings, gaily tiled and set
amid the vivid foliage of semi-tropical gardens, rise behind the
twelve miles of waterfront where Lisbon sits enthroned at the
mouth of the Tagus. The Se or Cathedral, founded in 1150
A.D., has a sumptuous Gothic portal, and the Monastery
adjoining the church of Santa Maria or Jeronymosis is enriched
with lovely cloisters. The church itself, adorned with carved
stone columns, fan vaulting and altars inlaid with precious
metals, contains the tombs of Vasco de Gama, the explorer,
and Camoens, the epic poet. The Castello de Sao Jorge, in
the same old part of the city, is a Moorish citadel, now used as
a fort and barracks.
Page Six  /;/     ff   S
ze,i
W\
I
1
CADIZ-SEVILLE
CADIZ, SEVILLE. Cadiz, gleaming white on an azure sea
and guarding with heavy ramparts the delta of the Quadal-
quivir from the head of a long and narrow peninsula, was known
to the Phoenicians, a thousand years before Christ as Gadeira
or Gades. About 500 B.C. it became a Roman outpost on the
Atlantic, famous for its luxurious life, its wines and its dancing
girls. As a city of Spain it grew in wealth and importance
after the discovery of America and the Indies. The terraced
houses, with view towers and balconies, the charm and pic-
turesqueness of the people, the clean, busy streets, make Cadiz
a delightful introduction to old Spain. The two cathedrals,
the Church of Los Capuchinos, the Academy of Fine Arts,
and the view from the signal tower are points of particular
interest. Unfailing entertainment is found in the promenades
and public gardens, the Muralla del Mar, the Alameda, the
Parque Genoves and the Botanical Gardens.
The railway trip to Seville passes through the fertile plains
which even in Roman times were known as the garden of Europe.
Seville, contains in the Alcazar, in the rose-red observation
tower of the Giralda, and in the solitary golden tower, memorials of Moorish splendour dating from the days when this was
the capital of Europe. The houses are Moorish still, white
with green balconies and central court and fountains, set in
narrow streets or around spacious squares fragrant with orange
groves. The stately Cathedral incorporates both a Roman
temple and a Moorish mosque, seen particularly in the Court
of Oranges, and in the Giralda.
B
Page Eight  ■
ji*ft        A
Page Ten
■
GIBRALTAR
GIBRALTAR stands on guard like a rock-mounted policeman
on an ocean trail. This famous fortress of the British Empire
was originally named after a Moorish invader of the Eighth
Century, whose castle still remains. Known to the ancients
as one of the Pillars of Hercules, it was formerly considered as
the Western extremity of the world. The legend runs that
Hercules raised the crags on each side of the Straits while
breaking through a channel between the Atlantic and the
Mediterranean. The Rock itself is three miles long and from a
half to three-quarters of a mile in breadth, its height reaching
to 1,400 feet. Pitted with vast caverns, it reveals natural
corridors of stalactites. Captured by the Moors in 711 A.D..
Gibraltar was for seven hundred years the key to Moorish
domination in Southern Spain. For thirty years after its fall
in 1462 it was held by the Duke of Medina-Sidonia and for
two centuries after that reverted to Spain. Great Britain
secured possession in 1704. In the war which broke out 177Q,
between Great Britain and Spain, Gibraltar underwent its
famous four-year siege.
As Gibraltar is primarily a fortress and a naval base, every
effort, in view of war contingencies, is made to prevent any
increase in the population. Sanitary laws modelled on English
statutes, but drafted with a very different object in view, are
used with some ingenuity to reduce the available space for
housing. The working classes are thus being pushed across the
border to the Spanish town of La Linea de la Concepcion, from
where they come daily to the fortress-city.
The permanent residents, of whom about thirty thousand still
remain, are of a very varied origin. Turbaned Arabs in burnous
mingle in the street with British soldiers and Jewish merchants.
The Alameda, a public park, planted with beautiful trees and
flowers, is much favored as a promenade.
The Spanish population delights to attend the bull fights at
the neighbouring town of Algeciras.
ST m'W^w
'^yz
%
m
Page Eleven %
sfc.
V
ALOI ER.S
ALGIERS. Algiers for 300 years was the stronghold of the
Barbary pirates, until France took hold, and the Kasbah at the
crest of the hill still recalls the rule of the once terrible Barbar-
ossa and the Deys of Algiers. For over three hundred years
these corsairs exacted terrible tribute in ships, in merchandizing,
in men and women from their Christian brothers. Cervantes
the author' of Don Quixote, was one of countless thousands
thrown into the penthouse of the Souk-El-Abeed, or slave market of this piratical city.
In 1815 the Americans, in consequence of a dispute over the
tribute to be paid, refused to contribute, and sent a naval force,
under Decatur, to attack Algiers. In a short time he compelled
the Dey to sue for peace, and extracted from him a pledge that
American traders would be immune. Great Britain did the
same in the following year, and France captured the City of
Algiers in 1829, since which time it has been a French possession.
A vivid picture of Algiers in Corsair times may be found in
Rafael Sabatini's romance "The Sea Hawk."
The Boulevard de la Republique fronts a harbour which Bar-
barossa built for his piratical galleys and which now gives
shelter td over sixteen thousand ships a year. Parallel with
this is the cosmopolitan shopping street of Bab-Azoun (Gate of
Grief), where the veiled charmers from rich Algerian harems
and the dusky beauties of the Sahara study the latest things
from Paris through the alluring plate-glass windows. The city
now is half Europeanized, but up the steep narrow streets of the
native quarter, one finds oneself already in the world of the
Arabian Nights. Its crowning point is the Kasbah, or Palace
of the Deys. about five hundred feet above the sea. The French
dismantled the fortifications, cut a roadway through the Mosque
which was connected with them, and permitted the entire
building to fall to ruins. One can still see traces of the treasure
vaults and slave dungeons of the Deys.
i
fcPi
Page Twelve
403
E3e  MONACO -NAPLES
MONACO is the high-stepping principality of the south-eastern
coast of France, at which all the Puritan world shakes its finger.
Within its tiny area more fortunes have been lost and won than
lives have been squandered on the battlefields of Europe. The
tables at the Monte Carlo Casino are forbidden to the twenty
thousand local inhabitants, who, however, have the consolation
of being exempt from taxes. Monaco is traversed by the
splendid Corniche road, with its panorama of the Cote d'Azure
to Nice, with its vistas of lovely gardens and of cliffs surmounting the azure sea.
NICE brings us back once more to the pirates of Algiers, for in
1543, after a fierce bombardment, the city was sacked by the
terrible Barbarossa. To-day, however, its principal battles are
fought with flowers and confetti during the annual Spring
Carnival. The flower market of Nice is a favourite of local
artists. Beautiful villas line the famous Promenade des Anglais
and nestle in the sheltering hills.
NAPLES. No aspect in the Mediterranean is more captivating
than that of the Bay of Naples, with its azure sea, its embankment of buildings, and its amphitheatre of volcanic mountains
culminating in the still live crater of Vesuvius. Here was
originally a Greek Colony, which Rome conquered and established as a residential city for its wealthy nobles. In the Middle
Ages, Naples played a vigorous role of- independence, as many
of its castles and churches still testify. Its chief pride to-day
is the splendid National Museum, with unique collections of
Greek and Roman sculptures and of wall paintings and bronzes
from the buried cities of Herculaneum and Pompeii. Fascinating also is the Aquarium, with its strange wild life from the
waters of the Mediterranean. The Neapolitan is seen at his or
her best and gayest in the adjoining park of the Villa Nazionale.
Of particular human interest are the arches of the San Carlo
Theatre where the public scribes take down the love letters
of the girls who cannot write.
Page Fourteen
m *r W
wWi
A,-,.,.^
HP*?
Kfc
m
^P^'PIPlii'isii
HS ! PO M PEI I ~  ROME
AT POMPEII, the House of the Fawn, the House of Glaucus
described in "The Last Days of Pompeii," the Street of Tombs,
the Temple of Isis. and many other resurrected ruins help to
visualize the daily life in a Roman City shortly after the time
of Christ.
Pompeii, which was overwhelmed by an eruption of Vesuvius
in 7q A.D . was forgotten until the site was accidentally rediscovered in 1504. Systematic excavations undertaken since
1763 have gradually revealed the city in which 50,000 people
once lived, with its temples, shops, houses, public baths,
amphitheatre seating 20,000 spectators, and barracks of the
gladiators. Herculaneum was a smaller, though richer city, the
site of which is mostly covered by the town of Resina.
ROME. The Coliseum and the Catacombs recall the persecution and martyrdom of the early Christians and the Arch
of Constantine their ultimate triumph. The Arch of Titus
celebrates in vivid sculpture the Capture of Jerusalem. Fourteen obelisks remind the student that Rome at one time held
and drew tribute from Egypt. The luxury of the Imperial City
is seen in the Baths of Caracalla, more than a mile long, with
rooms for 1.600 bathers, famous statuary, and art galleries.
The glory of the Roman Catholic Church is written in the
spacious buildings of the Square of the Lateran, the Church of
St. Peter and the Vatican.
The galleries and collections of Rome are the largest in the
world. The Vatican, the Lateran, the Capitoline, and the
national museums and galleries contain remarkable collections
that have a world-wide celebrity. There are numerous private
collections of pictures in the Borghese, Barberini, Doria.
Sciarra, Torlonia and Corsini palaces, and masterpieces of
painting are also to be found in almost every church. The
libraries of Rome are unrivalled.
Modern Rome has now as many hotels as it had churches in
times gone by, and they are excellent. The artistic industries
of the city have been revived in recent years. The most important are Roman silks, Roman pearls, reproductions of ancient
vases, statues and paintings, mosaics and jewellery.
Page Sixteen Mk
E^ S V R, A C U S E
ANCIENT stronghold of a warrior race which defied Carthage,
crushed the Athenians and succumbed only before the power
of mighty Rome, Syracuse, once one of the busiest ports of the
Mediterranean now slumbers through the swift-passing years.
Gone are the golden days when crowded and laden galleys
swarmed about the harbour, carrying ivory, and precious ores and
crusted gems and dusky, big-eyed slaves from the African coast
to be bartered for the spice and fruits and purple wines of sunny
Sicily. The olive-clad hills that stretch back, blossom-garlanded, from the sea, once shook to the tramp of a forgotten
Caesar's legions, and over the blue water that laps the shore
was fought the great battle in which the Athenians sank to
defeat and death before the stalwart fighting men of the
Syracusan fleet.
Incoming steamers now anchor at the Porto Marina; and the
approach to modern Syracuse, which is on the island of Ortygia,
is defended by a dilapidated citadel which dates from the time
of Charles V. On the south extremity broods the grim gray
pile of a castle named after Maniaces, the last Byzantine general, and held by him until captured by the Saracens in the
eleventh century. Unexpectedly one comes across relics of
brave ages gone. Picturesque beggars in unbelievably colorful
tatters sit in the corners of doorways in which, perhaps, Thucy-
dides stood, and exchanged with a crony gossip of forgotten
wars. The dark turquoise of the heaving sea creams to snowy
foam against the cliffs and shoreline, and the Temple of Diana
and the Via delle Tombe shimmer in the mid-day heat.
Squeeze past the merry old lady on her diminutive donkey in
the narrow lane, dodge noisy children with their round, black,
velvety eyes and the clear rose-olive skins of Sicily, and visit
the Greek Temple at sunset, when the shadows lengthen, and
heaven lights in flaming splendor, and the ghosts of the immortals steal back and take possession of your soul. Stand by
the Fountain of Arethusa on the west side of the island and
watch the flow of water that has bubbled for a dozen centuries—
water that was turned salt in an earthquake seven hundred
years ago. School your mind to solitude and dream by moon 1 ight
upon that Sicilian hill whereon the lovely twin columns of the
Temple of Zeus—that temple built to preserve the memory of
weak Nikias, long blown to dust—stand mute against the stars.
I
Page Eighteen jfi'
I
A VENICE
THRONED in the turquoise of her wide lagoon, Venice, Bride
of the Adriatic, sits dreaming of her ancient splendors. In the
rippling harbor where, in the year of grace 998, Pietro Orseolo
annihilated a marauding pirate fleet, her islands shine like pale
amethysts in the morning light, and the color of her palaces is
mirrored in broken beauty on the bosom of the sea.
All the art of Carpaccio and Tintoretto pulses in the wonderful
harbour and the twisted skeins of the canals. Landing quays
and marble steps lead to the crumbling homes of the old nobility,
and striped gondola posts repeat themselves in the narrow
ribbons of blue water, laid out like strips of celestial carpet for
mortal use.
Dark-eyed urchins in picturesque rags peep over the warm-
hued brickwork of an aged bridge, and answer with quick
impudence the laughing jibe of a passing gondolier. Tall,
narrow windows and tiny balconies hang over the stream upon a
background of lemon-yellow wall overgrown with lichen, the
waterside shop of a statue-maker is brave with pastel shades
of pink, and yellow, and fading green, and a blaze of scarlet
creeper splashes the smooth cream surface of a baronial house.
The mounting sun beats upon the bronze well-head, with its
three broad shallow steps, designed by Alberghetti, in the
courtyard of the Palazzo Ducale. Out across the San Marco
basin the masts of the fishing fleet hoist patched sails of russet
and saffron and move slowly put between the islands. The great
horses of San Marco rise, epitome of arrested power, and
pigeons wheel in a fluttering cloud in the shadows of the
Campanile.
The sun creeps down the vineyards of the mainland, pomegranates burst in royal crimson between the fingers of careless
children, and light dust settles on the bushes of golden thorn.
The blue of the bay, caught in the curve of the Shiavorri, turns
to moving gold and whispers to the feet of San Giorgio Mag-
giore.
Night—and on the Grand Canal the first sandolo of the water
police glides, lampless, to meet the breathing tide. The moon
soars and turns the world to silver, and above the darkened,
twisting waterways windows open to the soft night air—tall,
latticed and shuttered windows which might hide the chink of a
Shylock's gold or the sigh of a poet to the love-warmed night.
Page Twenty.
m
M:
1*M 1
3SB&-
Wm
u&M&im
■ '■..
m
Page Twenty-onh.. ■:>t mim
¥
i
Iff]
JB&&ai&uw&
jss
A T H
il>ntMlMiitrj\r&.
SO beautiful is ATHENS that although Greece was many times overrun by
barbarians these refrained from their usual vandalism, and surprisingly little
damage was done to the Attic temples except by age. Dominating Athens is
the Acropolis. The western front of this is entered by the gateway of the
Propylaea, near which is the temple of the Wingless Victory. On the north is
the Erechtheum, notable for the famous porch of the Caryatides or sculptured
maidens who support the roof. The ruins of the Parthenon occupy the summit.   Among the other interesting places is Mars Hill, where St. Paul preached
Page Twenty-two
mmmmmwMMWM M
**?'*
m
'
£>
tM
mm
XmXmZmJr*.?* ' JtJZmT.iV
&%*
:
to the Athenians. The Theatre of Dionysius, where the immortal tragedies of
Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides were played, and the new Stadium,
provided for the Olympic Games of 1906. The National Archaeological Museum
has a unique collection of Mycenean antiquities discovered by Dr. Schlie-
mann, the excavator of ancient Troy. The Hill of the Pnyx. with the rock
platform from which Athenian orators addressed the Assembly on matters of. moment, affords a view of the Acropolis which should not
be missed.
Page Twenty-three
' I » ^■i%^fkJ'r^^rffl7).^\
'nwaw&mm®myym<k DARDAN ELLES - CONSTANTINOPLE
THE Strait of the DARDANELLES, known to the Greeks as
the Hellespont, which was swum by Hero and Leander and later
by Lord Byron, is guarded at the entrance by the castles of
Sedil Bahr and Kum Kaleh, and farther on by the Old Castle
of Anatolia and the Old Castle of Rumelia. The land on the
right is the land of Troy, famous for the great siege, the incidents in which are sung in Homer's " Iliad." At the entrance
to the Sea of Marmora, on the left, is the town of Gallipoli. a
name of tragic memory in the recent war. The Strait of the
Dardanelles is 47 miles long and from 3 to 4 miles broad. Most
beautiful of all is the vision of the city on the Golden Horn,
with its domes and minarets, palaces and ancient walls. " Formed by Nature," says Edward Gibbon, the historian, "for the
centre and capital of a great monarchy," CONSTANTINOPLE
was the creation of a Roman Emperor who ransacked the
temples of Italy, Greece and Syria to enrich and adorn this, his
Eastern throne-city. The oldest of these imported trophies, the
Serpent Column, taken from the Oracle Sanctuary at Delphi,
still stands in the Hippodrome. The splendor of the city one
sees to-day is, however, due more to the later Emperor Justinian, who, in the sixth century, with the aid of a great architect,
Anthemios, made Constantinople the wonder, just as it was the
centre of the civilized world. Of the Turkish Sultans, the
greatest of the builders was Suleyman, whose magnificent
mosque is a reminder of the luxurious Court to which in the
sixteenth century every bazaar in the East paid tribute.
"Stamboul the immemorial, still the same as when the old Khalifs had
looked out on it; as when Suleyman the Great had imagined and
created its noble outline by adding the finest of the cupolas—a ghost,
a magnificent ghost of the past, is this city, still standing, with its
endless spindles of stone, so slender, so light, that how they have
lasted is a marvel."
(Pierre Loti, in "Disenchanted.")
The Aya Sophia Mosque, as the Turks call the immense church
of St. Sophia, erected by the Emperor Justinian in the 6th
century is still a beautiful sight despite the ravages of time.
It is accounted the second largest place of worship in the World,
being exceeded only by St. Peter's at Rome.
On arrival at Constantinople, on the Mediterranean Cruise the
EMPRESS OF FRANCE will proceed up the Bosporus as
far as the entrance to the Black Sea.
^^ffilslgrffr ^luCC^.---. r^—-^:-a  THE HOLY LAND
BEYROUT. although situated in the oldest part of the world, is essentially a modern city
An important seaport in the great Phoenician Empire, and for long the seat'of a well-known
schoo of jurisprudence in the Roman Empire, recognized as one of the three official law
schools by the Emperor Justinian, Beyrout had fallen from its high estate, and in 1844
had become a small town of perhaps 8,000 people. Its rapid growth since then to a population of 160,000 is the result of its new-born commercial importance, created by the genius
and patience of nineteenth-century Frenchmen. It is the centre of the Eastern silk industry, and in addition is a large exporter of olive oil, sesame seed, tobacco and wool.
The harbour of the new town was built by French capitalists, who desired an exporting
terminus for their railway through northern Palestine.
The City of Beyrout is beautifully situated on the slopes of Ras Beirut and St. Dimitre
looking north over St. George's Bay, an inlet of the Mediterranean. The old town is
immediately behind the landing place and the principal buildings are in the Place des
Canons, about a third of a mile distant. The mosques and antiquities in Beyrout are
interesting, and there are several Mission Stations here.
About a mile outside Beyrout a ruined church of St. George marks the site of the combat
with the Dragon.
HAIFA is on the Bay of Acre, not very far from the town of Acre, famous in the annals of
the Crusades. The ruins of the Crusaders' Wall at Acre may still be seen. It was from the
sands of the Bay of Acre that the Tyrian purple was extracted. Mount Carmel, where
Elijah challenged and defeated the 450 prophets of Baal, is also close at hand.,
Many places in NAZARETH are identified with the boyhood of Jesus—Mary's Well, the
fountain of still sweet water to which the women bring their jars, the grotto of the Carpenter's Shop found under an old church built by the Crusaders.
"However deep the builder may be obliged to dig to reach it, no other foundation than the
virgin rock contents the Nazarene. The craftsmen ply their several trades, always seated, if
it be possible, either at their doors, or in the street. Most of the old-fashioned tools are still
in use; but in carpenters' shops the modern innovation of a work-bench has been introduced, so
that the carpenter stands at his work instead of sitting with his plank on his lap, as it is
possible that Joseph the carpenter did nineteen hundred years ago. The dwellings, as elsewhere
in the East, are not cumbered with much furniture."
(Dr. John Fulton, in "Palestine, the Holy Land.")
Tiberias, Magdala. the steep places down which plunged the Gadarene Swine, the slopes
on which Christ preached his Sermon on the Mount, all these are still pointed out beside
the SEA OF GALILEE. At Cana of Galilee, the Greek Church contains an earthen jar
which is claimed to be one of those in which the water was turned into wine at the marriage
feast. The spring is still shown from which the water is said to have been drawn for Christ's
first miracle.   The fishermen are still hauling in their nets as in the days of the Apostles
"The soil of the plain of Gennesareth is wonderfully rich, wild flowers spring up everywhere.
Tulips anemones and irises carpet the ground. The plain is almost a parallelogram shut in
on the north and south bv steep cliffs, nearly a thousand feet high, broken here and there into
terraces, but nowhere easily to be climbed. On the west side the hills recede not quite so
precipitously, and streams of black basalt boulders, encroach upon the plain The shore line
is gently embaved and the beach is pearly white—one mass of triturated fresh-water shells—
and edged by a fringe of the exquisitely lovely oleanders. L>r. Instram.
Page Twenty-seven ■
THE    HOLY    LAND
JERUSALEM has been destroyed and rebuilt so often (sixteen
times at least) that some of the original streets in David's
Royal City are now eighty feet underground. Traces of the
wall built by Herod may still be found at the Wailing Place of
the lews.
I
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is built on the traditional
rock of Calvary and in the centre of the church is the traditional
tomb of Christ. The Mosque of Omar, or Dome of the Rock,
covers the rock on the summit of Mount Moriah on which
Abraham offered the sacrifice of Isaac. Here was the origina
Temple of Solomon, and here, according to the Mohammedans,
the Angel Gabriel will blow the Last Trumpet. Below it is the
Garden of Gethsemane. now much frequented by pilgrims.
David's Tower is one of the buildings that was standing in the
days of Christ. Very impressive is the view from the neighboring Mount Olivet, with its panorama of Jerusalem, Judea
and the Dead Sea.
"Jerusalem is the pilgrimage city of the world. Sacred to the Christians, the centre of Jewish religious devotion and national dreams, it
is also a second Mecca to the Mohammedans . . . The prophet
Mohammed himself said that one prayer was worth a thousand
elsewhere. The Christians of the Eastern churches are brought up
in much the same faith . . . From the wilds of Abyssinia, from the
flat plains of Egypt, from the mountain fastnesses of Greece, and from
all over Russia, even to the borders of Siberia, they come to drop their
tears upon the tomb."
(Frank G. Carpenter, in "The Holy Land and Syria.") p*©¥^t^®lj
&tf - ■'
'■ AA   -
mm?&$&
- e    . -"■ ■. .• -a.
JL
WmMmsm
>.i4m
Uste
Page *wenty-£u£& THE    HOLY    LAND
BETHLEHEM is only a few miles from Jerusalem. The road
from the Jaffa gate follows the route taken by the Wise Men
from the East. It passes the field of Boaz where Ruth gleaned
her wheat, and the field in which the Shepherds watched their
sheep. It passes near the spot where David slew Goliath. It
passes a square building with a dome known as Rachel's Tomb,
built on or near the pillar that Jacob set up on his wife's grave.
The Church of the Nativity is built on the site of a grotto which
tradition identifies with the birthplace of Jesus. This was built
by the Emperor Constantine in 330 A.D. and is thus the oldest
Christian edifice in the world. It is held jointly by the three
sects of the Latin, Greek and Armenian churches. The Shrine
of the Nativity is lit up with fifteen lamps which are never
allowed to go out.
To-day Bethlehem is busy with the manufacture of rosaries and
of crufixes of olive-wood and mother-of-pearl. The women have
a distinctive, and picturesque costume, with head-dress richly
ornamented.
DAMASCUS is a city which was contemporary with Sodom
and Gomorrah, and is the oldest city in the world. You can
pass along the "Street called Straight" and see the very wall
down which St. Paul was let in a basket. The bazaars are the
most fascinating in the Orient, made up of vaulted streets with
niches for stores. Shoes inlaid with mother-of-pearl, sugared
almonds, brass and silverware, rugs, inlaid woodwork, rubies,
silks, these and a thousand other things attract and tempt the
passer-by. Not the least attractive of the many wonders'of
this city is its extraordinary population. Here are to be found
representatives of every nation of the world, all crying their
wares and asking you just six times the price which they are
willing to accept.
Page Thirty
mm
*
i>   EGYPT
ALEXANDRIA was founded about 332 B.C. by Alexander the Great, and remained the
capital of Egypt for the Greeks and the Romans over a thousand years. Under the Caesars
it grew to be second only to Rome. To-day the Royal Palaces where Cleopatra once
reigned in voluptuous splendour have sunk, with the land they were built on, under the sea.
The train journey of 130 miles from Alexandria to CAIRO passes through the fertile Nile
Delta, the soil in which, silting up at the rate of four inches in a century, is over 70 feet
deep.   No wonder that from time immemorial there has been "corn in Egypt."
PORT SAID is the port from which those on the Empress of Scotland Round the World
Cruise who do not wish to travel overland by way of Jerusalem will entrain for CAIRO.
While the steamer leisurely proceeds to Suez, its passengers will spend the time in the Land
of the Pharaohs.
CAIRO itself, "The Mother of the World" according to the Arab phrase, is the largest
City in Africa, with nearly a million inhabitants. Its magnificent Museum contains the
treasures of four thousand years of Pharaohs, including the recently discovered marvels
of the tomb of Tut-ankh-amen. Among the buildings of exceptional interest are the
Mosque of El Azhar, "The Resplendent," greatest of Mohammedan Universities, dating
from the year 971, thronged each year by ten thousand students from the Gold Coast to
Java and Sumatra, the Mosque of Amr, the Domed Tombs of the Mameluke Sultans, the
tall slender minarets of the Mosque and Fort of Mohammed Ali. in the centre of which is
Joseph's Well, the Mosques of Tulun, Kalaun, Barbuk, Kait Bay and that of Sultan Hassan,
dating from 1358.
In the streets of Cairo the snake charmer will make his cobras dance on the sidewalk.
In the native bazaars you can buy exquisite gold and silver embroideries, hammered brass,
inlaid furniture, the red and black glazed pottery from Assiout, silks, Egyptian mats or
applique sail cloth. Here are the water-carriers you have seen in so many pictures, the red-
aproned sellers of sherbet with their ornamental
iars.
The first Arab settlement at Cairo was Fustat, the City of Tents,
dating from about 641 A.D. This was near the modern tower of
Heliopolis beside the fortress of On, the ruins of which still remain.
At On there was once a University at which Moses
and Plato in their day were students.   Cairo itself,
the City of the Caliphs' Palaces, was established
in 969 by Saladin, the chivalrous leader of
the Saracens against Richard Cceur de
Lion and his Crusaders.
Page Thirty-three ;fe-'"'
EGYPT
AUTOMOBILES, carriages and guides will be provided for a
drive round this fascinating city, and excursions are arranged for
passengers by both Cruises, for the Pyramids of Ghizeh and the
Sphinx. This marvelous piece of sculpture, carved from a ridge
of rock reinforced with masonry, guards the Cemetery of
Memphis, once the Metropolis of Egypt. There will also be an
excursion on the River Nile by steamer to Bedrechein and return for passengers on the Empress of Scotland Round the
World Cruise.
"Egypt is the gift of the Nile." said Herodotus, the old Greek
historian. According to legend, the Nile is the oldest river in
the World, 3.473 miles long, and drains an area of over a million
square miles, although there are no branches from within 1,700
miles of its outlet. On the river banks Abraham pitched his
tent, but two thousand years before that the Sphinx was carved
out of the solid rock, and civilization has been traced into a sti
remoter antiquity of four thousand years before even the
Sphinx lifted mysterious eyes over the desert.
"he train from Cairo to SUEZ passes through the Biblica
Land of Goshen.   Near Zazazig are the ruins of Bubastis, a city
built by the' Israelites.   From the car windows one looks over
the wide plains through which two thousand years ago Joseph
and Mary fled from Palestine with the infant Jesus.  'ALLEY OF THE KINGS
AN optional excursion, in connection with the Mediterranean
Cruise of the Empress of France, has been arranged for those
who desire to visit THEBES and the VALLEY OF THE
KINGS, where the sepulchres of Tut-ankh-amen. Rameses III,
VI and IX, Seti I and others have yielded marvellous records
of the past. It is four hundred and fifty miles from Cairo to
Luxor, and a pleasant way of making the trip is to go by train
and return by boat down the broad water highway of the Nile.
The waters of the River Nile are the life-blood of the country,
and now, as in the time of the Pharaohs, the life, health and
prosperity of the people are governed by their flow. When
Great Britain undertook the government of the country of the
people of Egypt half a century ago. they were content to starve
or feast, just as the river flooded or ran dry. The British
immediately commenced operations designed to control as far
as possible the flow of water. The construction of the Assouan,
the world's largest dam, has permitted the storing of flood water
in great artificial lakes until it is needed in dry years.
Luxor, just across the river from Thebes, is a modern city and
possessed of excellent hotels. It is the usual city of residence
for those who are visiting the tombs of the Kings.
The. Colossi of Memnon, two gigantic seated figures, are the
first landmarks on the plain of Thebes.   Then
"that strange fascinating strip of barren land which is strewn with
temples and honeycombed with tombs. At the foot of these tiger-
colored precipices Theodore M. Davis found the sepulchre of Queen
Hatshepsu, the Queen Elizabeth of the Old Egyptian world ....
here to the north is the temple of Kurna. and over there the Rames-
seum; those rows of little pillars close under the mountain are the
pillars of Hatshepsu's temple, which bears upon its walls the pictures
of the expedition to the historic land of Punt . . . beyond to the
west is the temple of Deir-el-Medinet. with its judgment of the
dead . . . This turmoil of sun-baked earth and rock, grey, yellow,
pink, orange and red, awakens the curiosity, summons the love of the
strange, suggests that it holds secrets to charm the souls of men."
Robert Hichens, in "Egypt and its Monuments."
To these celebrated memorials have recently Been added the
tomb of King Tut-ankh-amen, richer perhaps in treasure than a
the other tombs combined.   The excavations here are still in
progress.
Page Thirty-six   INDIA
BOMBAY, the next port of call, is one of the great seaports of the world
A stay of a week has been allowed here, so as to enable those who take
this Cruise, not only to see the sights in this fascinating city of the
Orient, thronged as it is with the peoples of a hundred races, but also
to tour inland to see Delhi, the exquisitely beautiful Taj Mahal at Agra,
and Benares, also to cross India, rejoining the ship at Colombo.
In the Great Bazaar the native merchants offer their richly decorated
wares and handicrafts. Not far off are the Hanging Gardens and
the Towers of Silence, where the Parsee Worshippers of Fire dispose
of their dead. The Victoria and Northbrook Gardens are set out with
flowers in tropical profusion.
DELHI, with its celebrated street, the Chandni Chauk, was the capital
of the Afghan and Mohammedan Empires and is now the official Capital
of British India. Here is the Fort and Palace of Shah Jehan, superbly
decorated with inlaid work and carving, notable for the Painted Pajace
of the Chief Sultana, the Royal Baths, and the Audience Hall with its
inscription " If there is a Heaven on Earth, it is this—it is this!" Here,
too, is the Jama Masjid, claimed to be the finest mosque in India. The
battered walls of the Kashmere Gate recall the historic days of the
Indian Mutiny.
AGRA, another walled city, was the Capital of the Mogul rulers before
it yielded place of honour to Delhi in 1658. Deeply interesting are the
Fort with Shah Jehan's Glass Palace and the Pearl Mosque, the Anguri
Bagh or Grape Garden, and the various palaces. But exquisite above
all is the Taj Mahal Pr Peerless Crown, built for Queen Nur Jehan in
1630. Twenty thousand workmen took twenty-two years to build this
marvelous structure.
Page Thirty-nine
*»•
*#•'
'A * ■
1 ¥ fi
INDIA- CEYLON
BENARES, the Holy City of the Hindoos and the capital of Brahminism, has fifteen
hundred temples and mosques and is visited by over a million pilgrims every year. From
the Ghats, or bathing steps, the pious wash away their sins in the sacred waters of the
Ganges. At the Burning Ghats the dead are burned and thrown into the river. The
Masjid of Aurungzebe, marked out by its two minarets, commands a notable view of this
amazing city.
CALCUTTA, on the Hooghly. is a hundred miles inland from the Bay of Bengal. The
splendid houses of the rich, merchant princes vie with the palaces of the Indian potentates.
With its swarming population of a million and a quarter, Hindoo, Mohammedan and
Christian, Calcutta offers endless fascination to the student of the human race. The
present Post Office covers the spot once known as the Black Hole of Calcutta.
Most thrilling of all railroad trips is that to DARJEELING, the famous summer resort
in the Himalayas. The train climbs up 7,000 feet in fifty miles, with glorious views of Mount
Everest and Kinchinjunga.
CEYLON. As the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND approaches COLOMBO, Adam's Peak
looms in the background, famous for the titanic footprint which the Mohammedans say was
made by Adam after his banishment from the Garden of Eden, when he stood on one foot
for a hundred yeans, by way of penance.
The harbor of Colombo is protected by a splendid breakwater against which the wildest
storms of the south-west Monsoon break themselves in vain. Since 1795, Ceylon has been a
Crown Colony in the British Empire. To-day it is one of the great tea producing countries,
and owing to the wealth of its pearl fisheries is known as the "pearl garden of the world."'
rour days are scheduled for Ceylon. Drives are arranged to Victoria Park, through
the Pettah, or picturesque native quarter, and through the luxuriant avenues of palms to
Galle. The red roads, the brilliant vegetation and the gay costumes combine to make a
picture of intensely vivid color. The streets are thronged with Singhalese, shaven Tamils
from Southern India, Arabs, Parsees and white-capped Moormen. Highly picturesque
are the bullock-bandies or two wheeled carts with hoods of cocoanut leaf drawn by yoked
oxen.
A trip will be made to Mount Lavinia, and an excursion to KANDY, the ancient Capital,
on the shores of a lovely lake, celebrated in particular for the temple containing Buddha's
Tooth. The road into the interior climbs through a succession of romantic gorges, and
overlooks the great plantations. The island is rich in rubies, sapphires and moonstones,
and the natives are skilful in the crafts of jewellery. At Kandy the botanical gardens of Pera-
deniya are particularly interesting to the lover of tropical flowers.
.'€
m  SUMATRA
The EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND now enters
the Malay Archipelago with its picturesque
and romantic seacraft and skylines of
volcanic mountains soaring over 11,000 feet
high. Padang—Pandjang is probably the
least European of all the places visited on
this World Cruise. Its quaint steep-roofed
houses of carved wood and native Sumatran
costumes are a delight to the photographer.
The scenery traversed from the port of
Emma Harbour to Padang itself is entranc-
ingly beautiful. Unique are the native
dances and the shadow pantomimes; alluring
indeed are the curios, the batik and the
masterpieces of native craft. In Sumatra
and Java we are in the mysterious country
and sub-tropical paradise of Joseph Conrad's
romances.
m
X
tmi
m
!»**•'
Page Forty-two
W^SMiM.
Ib> * © o <
0 *««>«> tWl
AlWW^tt
-.
& JAVA
THE next port is BATAVIA, capital of the
Dutch East Indies, on the island of Java,
According to the geologists, this island is
essentially volcanic, for volcanic forces made
it, occasionally devastate it, and continue
to fertilise it. The Botanical Gardens of
Buitenzorg are unrivalled for the study of
tropical, flora, and the island contains over
5,000 known species of plants, including 562
varieties of orchids. So luxuriant is the
vegetation that even tall trees are found in
blossom. The Ethnological Museum at
Batavia is of fascinating interest. Among
the crafts for which the Javanese are noted,
that of the decorated cloth, known as batik,
appeals particulary to the artist.
^
■i
£
■:
Page Forty-Three
SV
jr.
fctlb *+
P  m'
SINGAPORE
SINGAPORE, known in Malay history as the City of the Lion, is essentially
a city of the British lion. It is the Gibraltar of the East, and owing to its
position between India, Hongkong and Australia looms large in the naval
expenditure of the British Empire. Its harbour is one of the most fascinating
in the world, owing to the variety of the craft that take shelter in its roomy
shelter, for it is the chief entrepot for the East Indian traders. Ships of every
nation are to be found lying off its docks-, most picturesque of all being the
Malay sailing vessels, for the Malays are a great sea-faring race and owing to
their peculiar characteristics have been termed sea-gypsies.
Singapore, on an island, at the southern end of the Malay Peninsula, is 'the
busy capital of the Straits Settlements, with a population of over 300,000.
Tin and rubber, spices and gums, rattan and copra, are some of the exports
of this Malaysian port. Half the tin of the world is said to have passed
through the smelting works on the island of Pulau Brani, and the rubber
plantations are of enormous value. The population is a highly colored epitome of the Orient. In 1911 there were in the Straits Settlements 240,000
Malays, 370,000 Chinese and 82,000 natives of India. The Chinese, who are
steadily immigrating into the country, are particularly successful as gardeners
and farmers. In the Tanglin Botanical Gardens part of the original jungle is
enclosed. Particularly interesting are the tropical lilies in the lake. Native
culture can be studied in the Malay Theatre, and European culture in the
famous Raffles Hotel. The porticoed shops provide endless entertainment to
those on the look-out for oriental fabrics and curios. One of the most interesting features of the Singapore programme will be the fifteen mile motor drive to
JOHORE BAHRU, capital of the State of Johore, known as the Oriental Monte
Carlo and dominated by the splendid palace built by the Sultan Abubakur.
Very picturesque is the contrast between the luxurious gum foliage of this
tropical island (only 78 miles from the equator) and the red coloured roads.
The race course, polo ground and golf courses provide ample entertainment
for the Europeans; the ladies have their own golf links.
The dominating figure in Singapore history is that of Sir Thomas Stamford
Raffles, who in 1787, at the age of sixteen, became a clerk with the East
India company, learned the Malay tongue and revived an old. trading post
at Malacca. At thirty he invaded and captured Java from the French, but
five years later was recalled by the English who returned the island to the
Dutch, its original governors. Then, believing the Dutch were attempting to
extend their suzerainty over the entire East, he purchased the island of Singapore from the Sultan of Rhio, who also was Penghulu of Johore, on February
6, 1819, and placed it under the jurisdiction of Bengal. Seven years later the
Straits Settlements were formed, and in 1867 they became a crown colony
of Great Britain. Thus, Sir Thomas founded the city whose position destined
it to become not only "the Key to the East" but also its "coal hole," for it
is said that a ship can be coaled more quickly here by hand, than anywhere
else in the world.
7
Page Forty-four  MANI LA
The Spanish discoverers called the PHILIPPINES the "Pearl of the
Orient." Magellan, the heroic and ill-fated explorer, set foot on these
islands in 1521. In 1570 the first permanent settlement was made and
Manila founded.
In 1898 they passed into the possession of the United States. Today they form an interesting object lesson in what twenty-six years of
American efficiency have made in comparison with three centuries of
Spanish government.
There are 1,000 miles of first-class roads, and irrigation plans are
under way to water 1,000,000 acres. Modern Manila is being laid
out under a town planning scheme designed by that distinguished
architect, the late D. H. Burnham. There are now 600 miles of
railway.
The archipelago (which comprises over 3,000 distinct islands, of
which 350 are over a mile square) is hilly and mountainous. Two-
thirds of its land surface is covered with forests: gutta percha, India
rubber, and other gum-yielding trees abound. The climate, more
salubrious than most tropical climates, varies little throughout the
year.
Manila, .on Luzon Island, the capital of the group, with a population
of about 300,000, has a deep and safe harbour with an enormous
commerce, and is the largest hemp market in the world.
During the days spent in this interesting port, an automobile drive
will be taken round the city along the Escolta, or main street, with
its bazaars and European stores, to the Luneta, or fashionable driveway, and the old Spanish walled city with its convents, monasteries,
palaces, mediaeval moats and picturesque Spanish houses. The
Carabao, or water buffalo, still shares the road with the high-powered
motor car.   Very impressive is the stately pile of the Cathedral.
Cockfighting, although prohibited in Manila, is still the chief sport
of the natives, and "in the average country town the cockpit shares
with the church the distinction of being the most conspicuous building
in the place."
Page Forty-six
V   HONG KONG
HONGKONG, established as an outpost of the British Empire, is one of the
great seaports of the world, swarming with steamers, sailing ships, junks and
sampans. This is not surprising when one realizes that of cotton goods alone.
China has an annual consumption "which would carpet a roadway sixty feet
wide from here to the moon."
Founded in 1841, the City of Victoria has grown to be an amphitheatre
of substantial edifices round one of the busiest harbours  in the Orient.
"It sheers up out of the water—a huge rock, green to the top, where it
isn't stone-grey with streets and houses. Great Britain's other Rock,
Gibraltar, may be more impressive, but Hongkong stands at the crossroads
of the East, and the trade that flows in and out of this marvellous harbour
at its feet would turn Gibraltar dizzy. For at one time (not so long ago), it was
the greatest port in the world in point of in and out tonnage."
Hongkong is a free port with a delightful freedom from customs formalities, and has its own currency. The curio shops maintain an inexhaustible
fascination for the traveler, and the stores are rich in Canton blackwood
furniture, Swatow lace and porcelain. A well built military road winding
round the island on which Victoria is built offers a delightful motor trip.
The Peak, 1,800 feet above the sea, commands a magnificent view, and no
one should miss visiting the Flag-staff, with its wide panorama of city and
harbour. So pleasant is the winter climate that Hongkong is becoming one
of the most popular winter resorts in the Orient.
CANTON, one of the most densely populated cities in the world, where,
2,000.000 people live onjand and 200,000 on- water-craft, is eighty miles from
Hongkong. In addition to the famous Canton furniture, the local wares
include tortoise shell, lacquer, fans, pottery, ivory carving, lanterns, inlaid
ware, ebony and silk. The Chinese city is a labyrinth of dark and narrow
streets.
"He dreams afterwards, as a nightmare, of this city of Oriental riches and
barbaric splendor, the city of the greatest wealth and the direst poverty, and
he sees again the narrow, seething thoroughfares, the blaze of gold and
vermilion, the glitter and glow of showy interiors, where if the Queen of Sheba
did not live, she certainly went a-shopping."
Among the sights are the Temple of Honan, the houses for sacred pigs and
poultry, the Flowery Pagoda, the Temple of the Five Genii, and the Calamity
Bell. Highly decorated barges, known as Flower Boats and used as restaurants,
add gaiety to the night.
Page Forty-nine s
SHANGHAI
SHANGHAI is the commercial capital of North China, and the largest
foreign settlement of the Orient. The French Settlement is a separate
municipality, while the British and Americans are united in the International Settlement. Every nation in Europe and most of the nations
of Asia are represented in this, the most cosmopolitan city in the world.
Shanghai is built on a tributary of the Yangtse Kiang, and taps for its
trade a population of 200,000,000 people. The Bund is a street consisting chiefly of modern six-storey buildings. Its most famous edifice
is the Shanghai Club, with a bar 110 feet long, said to be the longest in
the world. Nanking Road is the great shopping street, with Chinese
department stores and amusement palaces. The Bubbling Well Road,
famous in many a romance, is a continuation of this road, and leads to
the Race Course. In the native city the Thieves' Market is notable for
its curios, although the best and most reliable curio shops are to be
found in the International Settlement, and the Willow Pattern Tea
House is the objective of every tourist in China. Shanghai is the
dramatic capital of China, and the theatres are well worth a visit.
<
Page Fifty  PEKING
PEKING has been the Capital of China for 900 years, and is on the same
parallel of latitude as Madrid. The opening of the Forbidden City to the
foreigner has made it one of the most fascinating tourist objectives in the
world. The best view of the city is from Chien Men. the tower on the South
Wall of the Tartar City, from which one can look down on the gaily colored
tile roofs of temples, pagodas and palaces, and also upon the swarm of human
life. The springless mule-drawn Peking cart, the sedan chair, the ricksha, the
double-humped Bacterian Camel, are still to be seen along with the automobile. Porcelains, silks, embroideries, cloisonne, lanterns, rugs, carvings
and curios can be secured here as in no other Chinese City:
In the south of the Chinese City is the Temple of Heaven, containing the
Palace of Abstinence, the blue tiled Temple of the Happy Year and the Altar
of Heaven, the most sacred object in China.
Fascinating is the famous Summer Palace, with its beautiful grounds and
halls w ith yellow-tiled roofs and brilliantly decorated eaves.
"And the whole of six hundred years of Chinese history has gone
into the making of the quaint palace doors and windows shaped like
vases and fans and teapots; the boathouse where the imperial barge
used to lie: the spring that trickles through its intricate stone tracery,
made to go slowly so that it won't carry good luck away: the rock
gardens, so strange to our western eyes, where all the flowers are
twisted stone: the Bridge of Ten Thousand Years; the theatre where
the Empress watched the classic three-day plays; the Throne Hall
of Purple Effulgence where she gave her last audience to the Dalai
Lama in his gorgeous yellow robes, and went to join her august
ancestors at the Place of the Nine Springs."
An excursion will be made to the Great Wall of China
Page Fifty-two   1
JAPAN
KOBE is the climax of the entrancing voyage through the Inland Sea
With a population of over 600,000. Kobe presents a typical picture of modern
Japan, while at the same time the Buddhist temples and Shinto Shrines preserve the character of the old. The "ricsha" of China is in Japan known as
the jinricksha, but is always the same private portable throne. Excursions
have been arranged to Kyoto and Nara.
KYOTO. This sacred city, for a thousand years the Capital of Japan, illustrates in its temples, shrines, museums and palaces the history and art of a
fascinating people. Beautifully situated in an amphitheatre of mountains,
its parks and gardens provide a calendar of floral festivals unrivalled anywhere in the world. The plum-blossom will be in flower at the time when
the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND reaches Japan. On March 3rd is the Girls
Festival or Feast of Dolls when every Japanese town or village is prettily
decked out with dolls and the sweet beverage of Shiro-Zake is drunk. The skill
of the Japanese excels in Kyoto silks, crepes, fans, porcelains, bronzes, lacquer
carvings, damascene, cloisonne and embroideries. Teapot Hill has half a mile
of curio shops, each with its fascinating treasures.
Of the 950 Buddhist temples and Shinto Shrines, it is hard to select those
most worth a visit. Kiomidza Temple, thronged with pilgrims, has a platform 150 feet high from which jealous husbands used to throw their wives.
The Hall of 33,000 Buddhas, Higashi Hongwangi, the largest temple in Japan,
with a rope made of the hair of 3,500 women, and the Nishi Hongwangi,
said to be the most perfect example of Buddhist art in Japan, and the Kuro-
dani Temple in its setting of cryptomerias, pines and flowering trees, are each
world famous. The Mikado's Palace on its garden, and Nijo Castle, the moated
palace of the Shoguns, illustrate the historic past.
NARA. still more ancient capital of Japan than Kyoto, has been less influenced
perhaps than any other of the cities by European culture. The Kasuga no
Miya, a Shinto shrine founded in A.D. 710, the Ni-Gwatser-do or Second
Moon Temple, with its roof of swinging lanterns, the Big Bell and the great
bronze Daibutsu, are but a few of many relics of the Eighth Century. Wonderful sculptures are to be found in the Nara Museum.
Page Fifty-five
'jS&SjEaa JAPAN
YOKOHAMA and TOKYO, devastated in 1923 by a great
earthquake, are rapidly being reconstructed by a courageous people.
While it must be many years before the scars left by this great tragedy
have been effaced, the progress already made is remarkable, and the
study of the reconstruction is in itself an education and an inspiration.
KAMAKURA, once a military stronghold, is now little else than a
fishing village. The huge bronze Buddha, nearly 55 feet high, with
eyes nearly four feet long, has stood for nearly a thousand years, the
most impressive image of its kind.
NIKKO. Five hours from Tokyo by train, the marvelous shrines of
Nikko—"Sunny Splendour"—are set in a semi-circle of towering
mountains. Here are grouped the most richly decorated temples in
Japan, and the tombs of two great Shoguns. The sacred Red Lacquer
Bridge spans a roaring torrent and the roads and mountain slopes are
shaded with stately cryptomerias. Broad stone steps, magnificently
carved and gilded gates, spacious terraces, lanterned enclosures surrounded with walls of lacquer and gold, lofty roofs with carved gables
and crested ridgepoles, panelled ceilings and a multitude of gilded images,
silk bordered mats underfoot, the fragrance of incense, the resonant
music of gongs and the clang of bells—these are a few of the imperishable
memories carried away from a visit to the mausoleums of Jegasu and
Jemitsu. The visit to Nikkois a shore excursion available for all
passengers on the World Cruise.
"Nikko has been a holy place, up in its mountains, since the year 766.
It is beautiful the year around.
"We of the West think in straight lines (or so it seems to us), think
symmetrically. But this place is as strange as the other side of the
moon, for nothing is colored or carved as we would have done it, nor
does one thing lead to another as we would have had it lead	
Each court, each terrace, each gate draws us farther and farther away
from reality as it comes to the mind of the West, till we reach at last
to the holy of holies, and are given our green gown, and a little sacred
saki in a tiny red and gold lacquered cup."
jra  ..-r-W
M AW-AII-HILO
THE PACIFIC COAST
HONOLULU. Fifteen volcanoes rising out of the Pacific to form islands, each with its
necklace of coral reef, have made the group known as Hawaii. The natives are the most
affable of people, and are best known for their contribution to American music. The first
Hawaiians arrived at Honolulu a thousand years ago from Samoa, speaking a language
akin to that of the Maoris of New Zealand. The population now comprises all the races
of the Pacific. Honolulu, the capital, with its avenues of royal pa'ms, gives the impression
of being garlanded with flowers and laden with luscious fruit.
At the unrivalled bathing beach of Waikiki, thousands ride the waves in surf canoes or on
surf boards.
Very impressive is the precipice of Pali, twelve hundred feet above the sea, down which
King Oahu's warriors hurled themselves when defeated by Kame'hameha. Passengers
will enjoy the 90-mile motor drive around the Island, including Pali and the principal
points of interest in the City.
Coasting along the cliff-bound shores, the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND steams on from
Honolulu to HILO, the port from which an easy ascent can be made to the crater of the
still active volcano, Kilauea, the largest lake of fire in the world. The road from Hilo to the
crater is of tropical beauty, flanked with titanic ferns and a rich profusion of exotic flowers.
In the intervals between eruptions, the lava floor of the crater carries in spots a luxuriant
vegetation, though the general impression is one of vast and desolate waste. The pit is
three miles across.
Leaving Hilo the Empress steams straight across the Pacific towards the United States,
and in a little under six days reaches LOS ANGELES. In this beautiful city, with its
spacious parks, fine buildings, busy streets and background of orchards, flowers and
beaches, the whole region of Southern California is epitomized.
The first settlement here was made by Spaniards in 1781. Built upon the plains sloping
seaward from the foothills of the Sierra Madre, the northern and western suburbs of Los
Angeles reach altitudes that afford inspiring views of surrounding valleys, with the ocean
in the distance. The business district, with its many handsome shops and modern buildings, is striking.   The many beautiful hotels are also of interest to visitors.
Within the city limits, there are twenty-one parks, and these together with the many
tree-shaded boulevards and avenues lined with villa homes set amidst greenery and bright
blossoms, will charm the visitor. At any time of the year the Los Angeles region has a
strong appeal, but particularly so during the winter and spring months, when Nature is
verdure-clad and orange trees are aglow with golden fruit. Famous for its part in the
development of the "movie," Los Angeles is also a growing industrial point, and its connection with the oil industry has only to be mentioned.
Los Angeles is especially favored in its location, between the mountains and the sea—
a region of pleasantly diversified landscape, with broad valleys, snow-capped peaks and
magnificent stretches of smooth beach. There are picturesque old Franciscan missions,
orange groves, vineyards and orchards, cozy bungalow homes and the villas of the affluent,
all in a setting of vines and palms and flowers.
Paved highways afford delightful motoring through miles of orange groves and through the
numerous communities which cluster along the shore. Hollywood is one of the attractive
and most noted of the residential sections; a few miles west is Beverley Hills. Among the
resort cities nearest to Los Angeles is Pasadena, charmingly situated in the San Gabriel
Valley.
Page Fifty-eight   PANAMA
FOR 43.84 nautical miles, passengers on the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND will
have the opportunity of studying the engineering miracle of this artificial waterway between two oceans. Gatun Lake is the summit level—85 feet above the
sea, it is reached by means of Miraflores Locks (slightly over a mile in length),
Miraflores Lake and the Pedro Miguel Locks (5-6th of a mile long). As these
locks are of the double-barrelled type, each containing two distinct chambers,
ships may be passed in opposite directions at the same time. Each of the
twin chambers in every lock has a usable length of 1,000 feet, a width of 110
feet, and is 70 feet in depth.
Passing through the great Culebra Cut, which is itself eight miles long, the
Empress steams a further 24 miles through the picturesque Gatun Lake,—
the largest artificially formed lake in the world. Gatun Lake has an area of
164 square miles and a maximum depth of 90 feet. The great ship threads a
tortuous path in and out of new formed islands,—the hills and mountains
of the time before the canal.
The Atlantic is reached through the three steps of the Gatun Locks. On our
left, as we descend, is the great Gatun Dam, the pivot and centre of the entire
canal system. It is built across the historic valley of the Chagris River, which
formed the old explorers' and gold-traders' route to Panama and the Pacific.
A remarkable system of buoys and lights has made this marvellous canal
as safe by night as it is by day. It is thus possible for forty-eight ships to be
transferred from one ocean to another in 24 hours.
BALBOA, the Pacific terminal port of the canal, takes its name from Vasco
Numez de Balboa, the famous Spanish adventurer, who in 1513, 400 years
almost to a day before the first test was made of the Gatun Locks, crossed
the Isthmus and saw for the first time, the great Pacific. The shores of the
Atlantic outlet were visited by Alanzo de Ojeda in 1499 and skirted by
Columbus in 1502 while he was searching for a route to India. In that year
he actually founded the first colony at Nombre de Dios, close to Cristobal.
The old city of Panama, six miles from Balboa, was founded in 1519 and
sacked by the buccaneer. Sir Henry Morgan, in 1761. Its ruins.are interesting as the relics of the oldest European town on the mainland of America.
Although the Canal has just completed its 11 th year of service, it is old in
the thoughts of men. When the discovery of the Straits of Magellan and the
consequent mapping of South America convinced the explorers that there
was no waterway to the West, in the central latitudes, the Canal was at once
thought of. Alvaro de Saavedra, the companion of Balboa in the discovery
of the Pacific, drafted a plan for the cutting of the strait, in 1529.
From that time the Canal was an international hope; Spaniards, Frenchmen, Britons and Americans, through the centuries, made surveys and
developed schemes, formed companies and failed. The Canal made an
inescapable appeal to the popular as to the commercial and naval imagination.
The American Government was perhaps fortunate in attacking the Isthmus
at a time when the mechanical progress of the world had justified the attempt.
Page Sixty-one HAVA N A
LAST port of call on the World Cruise is HAVANA—the Paris of the western
hemisphere, rich in history, eternal monument to the one-time greatness of
Spain and the daring of her navigators.
With Punta castle on the one side, Morro castle and la Cabana on the other,
majestically the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND steams into one of the most
beautiful harbours of the world and offers her passengers the entrancing
vision of picturesque Havana.
Swiftly, memory races back over the pages of history—the Spanish-American
war. which grew out of the sinking of the Maine at the very spot over which
the Empress will pass; the many Dutch and English attacks upon the port:
the sackings and despoilings of pirates; the visit of Sir Francis Drake, Elizabeth's champion of the seas who flouted the power of Spain and finally overthrew the Great Armada. Almost a hidden power seems to turn one's eyes
to the very fortresses that were built after Drake's unsuccessful attempt to
sack the city. Back, back goes the mind to the discovery of the Island of
Cuba by Columbus, in 1492,
To the visitor of to-day there are really two Havanas, equally attractive and
as different as the old world is from the new. The old city grouped about the
Plaza des Armas in the customary Spanish fashion is a curious mixture of the
majestic and the squalid. Here is to be seen the famous Columbus Cathedral,
which held the bones of the great discoverer until they were removed to
Seville on the termination of the disastrous war with the United States.
The old Governors Palace and the civil and military administrative buildings, mute evidences of the almost forgotten power of Spain, occupy the other
sides of the square. Here too, is to be seen the oldest European building in
the new world, the fortress of la Fuerza which was constructed in 1538 and
was for many years the chief defence of the city. From its roof, an old-time
look-out, the visitor obtains a truly magnificent view of the harbour, the city
and its environs.
There is another Havana, a monument, not to hoary age, but to the genius
and generosity of a modern nation. When the Americans occupied the city
in 1898 they found a beautiful relic of other times crusted unfortunately with
the dirt and decay of age.
The old city they swept and garnished, gave it the sanitation, lighting and
transportation of a modern metropolis and left an ornament to the whole
world. About it they erected a city on their own model—a city of wide
streets, great spaces and beautiful parks.
Page Sixty-two  CANADIAN PACIFIC  AGENCIES
THROUGHOUT THE WORLD
Calgary, Alta.. .
Hamilton, Ont..
Montreal, Que..
Nelson, B.C	
North Bay, Ont.
Ottawa, Ont....
Quebec, Que....
St. John. N.B. .
Toronto, Ont.. .
Vancouver, B.C.
Victoria, B.C	
Winnipeg, Man.
Atlanta, Ga	
Belllngham, Wash.
Boston. Mass	
Buffalo, N.Y	
Chicago, 111	
Cincinnati, Ohio..
Cleveland, Ohio...
Detroit, Mich	
Kansas City, Mo.
Los Angeles, Cal.. .
Minneapolis, Minn.
New York, N.Y	
Philadelphia, Pa...
Pittsburgh, Pa	
Portland, Ore	
San Francisco, Cal.
St. Louis, Mo	
Seattle, Wash	
Tacoma, Wash	
Washington, D.C...
America
Canada
. . R. W. Greene, Canadian Pacific Station
. .A. Craig, Corner King and James
. . D. R. Kennedy, 141 St. James Street
. . J. S. Carter, Corner Baker & Ward Sts.
. . L. O. Tremblay, 87 Main Street West
. J. A. McGill, 83 Sparks Street
..C. A. Langevin, Palais Station
. . G. Bruce Burpee, 40 King Street
. .J. E. Parker, Can. Pac. Bldg., King &
Yonge
. .J. J. Forster, Canadian Pacific Station
. .L. D. Chetham, 1102 Government St.
. .W. C. Casey, 364 Main Street
United States
. . E. G. Chesbrough, 49 N. Forsyth St.
...S. B. Freeman, 1252 Elk St.
. .L. R. Hart. 405 Boylston St.
. .H. R. Mathewson, 160 Pearl St.
. .R. S Elworthy, 71 East Jackson Blvd.
. .M. E. Malone,201 Dixie TerminalBldg
. .G. H. Griffin, 1010 Chester Ave.
. ,G. G. McKay, 1231 Washington Blvd.
. .R. G. Norris, 601 Railway Exchange
Bldg.
. .Wm. Mcllroy, 605 South Spring St.
...H. M. Tait, 611 Second Ave. South
. . E. T. Stebbing, Corner Madison Ave.
& 44th Street
. ,R. C. Clayton, Locust St., at 15th.
. .C. L, Williams, 338 Sixth Ave.
. . W. H. Deacon, 55 Third St.
. .F. L. Nason, 675 Market St.
. .G. P. Carbrey, 420 Locust St.
. . E. L. Sheehan, 608 Second Ave.
. .D. C. O'Keefe, 1113 Pacific Ave.
. . C. E. Phelps, 905 Fifteenth St. N.W.
Cuba
Havana Santamaria y Ca., Apartado 770
Mexico
Mexico City.
H. E. Bourchier, Avenida 5° de Mayo
No. 2
Jamaica.
West Indies
..George  and   Branday,   1,   2,   3
Parade, Kingston
East
Panama
Balboa Wm. Andrews & Co.
Cristobal Wm. Andrews & Co.
Europe
Antwerp, Belgium. . .A. L. Rawlinson, 25 Quai Jordaens
Athens, Greece Crowe and Stevens,  Piraeus
Belfast, Ireland Wm. McCalla, 41 Victoria Street
Berlin, Germany P. Kayser, Unter den Linden 39
Birmingham, Eng W. T. Treadaway, 4 Victoria Square
Bristol, England A. S. Ray. 18 St. Augustine's Parade
Brussels, Belgium—L. H. R. Plummer, 98 Blvd. Adolphe
Max
Cadiz, Spain Harold W. Sanderson, 17 Isaac Peral
Cherbourg, France... Canadian Pacific, 46 Quai Alexander
III
Europe—Continued
Constantinople,
Turkey	
Gibraltar, Spain	
Glasgow, Scotland. . .
Hamburg, Germany.
Lisbon, Portugal	
Liverpool, England.. .
London, England
Manchester. Eng	
Monte Carlo,Monaco
Moscow, Russia	
Naples, Italy	
Oslo, Norway	
Paris, France	
Prague, Czechoslovakia	
Rome, Italy	
Rotterdam, Holland..
Southampton, Eng...
Syracuse, Italy	
Venice, Italy	
Vienna, Austria	
W. F. Van der Zee, Galata
The London Coal Co., 72 Irish Town
W. Stewart, 25 Bothwell Street
T. H. Gardner,-Gansemarkt 3
James Rawes & Co., 47 Rua Bernardino
R. E. Swain, Pier Head
(C.  E. Jenkins, 62-65 Charing Cross,
S.W.  1
1G. Saxon Jones, 103 Leadenhalt Street,
I    E.C. 3
J. W. Maine, 31 Mosley Street
A. Jules Doda, Courtier Maritime
A. Ross Owen, 3 Teatralny Proeszd
Wilmink Borriello, Ltd.
E. Bordewick, Jernbanetorvet 4
A. V. Clark, 7 Rue Scribe
E.  Schmitz,  Havlickovo Namesti, 33
Cukemi Palac.
B. T. Padgett/130-131 Via Del Tritone
J. Springett, 91 Coolsingel
H. Taylor, Canute Road
G. Bozzanca & Son
Guiseppe Guetta, San Moise 1474
A. W. Treadaway, 6 Opernring
Asia
Batavia, Java Maclaine. Watson & Co.
Beyrout, Syria Henry Heald & Co.
Bombay, India MacKinnon, MacKenzie & Co.
Calcutta, India MacKinnon, MacKenzie & Co.
Colombo, Ceylon. . . .MacKinnon, MacKenzie & Co.
Hong Kong, China.. T. R. Percy, Opposite Blake Pier ■
Jerusalem, Palestine. Jamal Bros., Jaffa Road
Kobe, Japan E. Hospes, 1 Bund
Manila, P.I J. R. Shaw, 14 Calle David
Padang, Sumatra. . . .Haacke Company
Peking, China Jardine, Matheson & Co.
Seoul, Korea J. H. Morris
Shanghai, China E. Stone, 12 Bund
Singapore, Straits
Settlements Boustead & Co.
Tokyo, Japan G. E. Costello,No. 1, Itchome, Yuraku-
Cho
Yokohama, Japan. . .G. E. Costello, 1 Bund
Africa
Algiers, Algeria Atwater Shipping  Co.,   5   Boulevard
Carnot
Cairo, Egypt Anglo-American Nile & Tourist Co.
Funchal, Madeira.. . . Blandy Bros. & Co.
Oceania
(South Pacific Countries)
Auckland, N.Z Union S.S. Company of New Zealand.
Ltd.
Hilo, T.H Theo. H. Davies & Co.
Honolulu, T.H Theo. H. Davies & Co.
Suva, FIJI Union S.S. Company of New Zealand,
Ltd.
Sydney, N.S.W '. , J. Sclater, Union House
Wellington, N.Z Union S.S. Company of New Zealand
Ltd.
E. F. L. STURDEE
General  Passenger Agent
HONGKONG
WM. BALLANTYNE
Steamship General Passenger Agent
MONTREAL
W. G. ANNABLE
Asst. Steamship Passenger Traffic Manager
MONTREAL
H. G. DRING
European Passenger Manager
LONDON
WALTER MAUGHAN
Steamship Passenger Traffic Manager
MONTREAL   

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.chungtext.1-0354851/manifest

Comment

Related Items