The Chung Collection

Chung Logo

The Chung Collection

Around the world cruise 1925 Canadian Pacific Steamships Limited 1925

Item Metadata

Download

Media
chungtext-1.0354847.pdf
Metadata
JSON: chungtext-1.0354847.json
JSON-LD: chungtext-1.0354847-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): chungtext-1.0354847-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: chungtext-1.0354847-rdf.json
Turtle: chungtext-1.0354847-turtle.txt
N-Triples: chungtext-1.0354847-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: chungtext-1.0354847-source.json
Full Text
chungtext-1.0354847-fulltext.txt
Citation
chungtext-1.0354847.ris

Full Text

 >s>
,u
7m
NK
V*'
r* . •/
1 j    »
I
«
M-tl
i
1
>al
IV
M •   1
■MB
WO RLD^&LTtS kill!
1.925^^^
*• #;.J^jK. mmm VJ
PACIFIC CRUISE
TO THE
PORTS OP THE WORLD
-*"•*:
EMPRESS OF FRANCE
FROM   NEW YORK
JAN. 14"* TO MAY 13H-D
1915  EMPRESS ^FRANCE
CANADIAN PACIFIC
Jason of the Argonaut, Leif Ericson, Columbus, Vasco di Gama, Jacques Cartier,
Magellan, Sir Francis Drake, George Vancouver, Captain Cook are but a few of
the great names of old sea-rovers who have tracked the far-flung sea-coasts of many
oceans for the eternal glory of the human race. Through their adventurous
voyages the world has gradually been revealed to future generations, a world of
marvellous variety and entrancing beauty. That world can only be understood by
those who circumnavigate it, and to make this understanding easy, this Cruise
of the' Empress of France has been arranged.
This magnificent vessel has already sailed the seven seas, and is equipped for
every climate. Each country on the route is reached at an equable season of the
year. This route embraces twenty-seven ports, each of which is a gateway to a
wonder-world of its own and serves as an entrepdt to the traffic of the world,
as a meeting ground for innumerable human races.
The circumnavigators on the Empress of France will return home laden with the
rich experiences, the culture, the mental- and perhaps also the physical treasures
gathered from eighteen different countries and from contact with the costumes-,
crafts and civilizations of fifty different races. They will see the pageant of the
world from the progressive West to the barbaric splendour of the East. Shrines,
mosques, temples, cathedrals, palaces and the sacred treasures of the fabled Orient
will be revealed to the gaze of these fortunate travellers.
The voyage starts from New York on January 14th and calls at the various ports
at the most seasonable time of the year, so that the traveller enjoys as it were a
perpetual Spring. One could not imagine a more delightful way than this in which
to spend four months, the memory of which must for ever remain imperishable.
Page Three- JgHJ  5vV'-v:'
»"n»"»p ir""";
9^ml MADEIRA - GIBRALTAR
Leaving NEW YORK at a time when the inclement weather drives those who can afford
to escape to more equable climes, the EMPRESS OF FRANCE anchors first off the balmy
shores of Madeira, an island of mountains thrown up as high as six thousand feet above
the sea by volcanic action from the still unfathomed ocean bed. Precipitous slopes flank
the island fluted with deep ravines, which give an almost architectural richness to the
island's pedestal of cliff-bound shores. The rich and fruity wine produced from its abundant
vineyards has given to Madeira a particular fame. The port is FUNCHAL, up the steep
streets of which the traveller may be borne in a litter carried by bearers or be hauled over
the cobbles on the curious native sleds. An excursion has been arranged to Terriero da Lucta.
commanding a mar-velous view of the Bay. It was at Funchal that Christopher Columbus
wooed and won his wife, and in the Rua Dereita a tablet marks the site of his home. The
fleet of three ships, the Santa Maria, the Pinta and the Nina, with which Columbus set
out on his great voyage of discovery in 149a, is illustrated on the opposite pages.
In one of the stories of John Russell's "Where the Pavement Ends" one reads of the charm
and color of this Old World island town, "lying like a flower wreath on a mailed breast,
with its rioting gardens, its twisting streets, its grim basalt barriers and savage beaches."
GIBRALTAR stands on guard like a rock-mounted policeman on an ocean trail. The
famous fortress of the British Empire was originally named after a Moorish invader of
the Eighth Century, whose castle still remains. Known to the ancients as one of the
Pillars of Hercules, it was formerly considered as the Western extremity of the world.
The legend runs that Hercules raised the crags on each side of the Straits while breaking
through a channel between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean. The Rock itself is three
miles long and from a half to three-quarters of a mile in breadth, its height reaching to
1,400 feet. Pitted with vast caverns, it reveals natural corridors of stalactites. Captured
from Spain in 1704, Gibraltar survived a famous siege from 1770-1783. The Empress of
France will cruise around the Bay for an hour or so to view the Rock of Gibraltar.
"Mighty and threatening appeared the fortifications" wrote George Borrow, author of
The Bible in Spain, in a memorable passage, "and doubtless viewed in any other situation
would have occupied the mind and engrossed its wonder; but the hill, the wondrous hill,
was everywhere about them, beneath them or above them, overpowering their effect as a
spectacle—Tarik and the old giant (Hercules) may have built upon if, but not all the dark
race of whom Tarik was one nor all the giants of old renown of whom the other was one.
could have built up its crags or chiselled the enormous shape to its present mass."
CERTAIN RECORDS AROUND THE WORLD
Jules Verne's Phileas Fogg.   1872.    London and return.    Time 80 days.   Left Reform Club,
London, October 2, 1872.   Arrived Reform Club, London, December 21, 1872.
Nellie Bly.     1889-90.    New York and return, via Mediterranean and Indian Ocean.     Time
72 days 6 hours 11 minutes.   Left New York November 14, i88q.    Arrived New York
January 2f. 1890.
John Henry Mears. 1913. New York and return, via Trans-Siberian route. Time 35 days
2t hours 35 minutes 4-5 second. Left Sun Building July 2, iqi j. Arrived Sun Building August 6, 1913. ALGIERS MONACO NAPLES
ALGIERS for 300 years was the stronghold of the Barbary pirates, until France took hold,
and the Kasbah at the crest of the hill still recalls the rule of the once terrible Barbarossa
and the Deys of Algiers. The Boulevard de la Republique fronts a harbour which Barbarossa built for his piratical galleys and which now gives shelter to over sixteen thousand
ships a year. Parallel with this is the cosmopolitan shopping street of Bab-Azoun (Gate
of Grief), where the veiled charmers from rich Algerian harems and the dusky beauties
of the Sahara study the latest things from Paris through the alluring plate-glass windows.
The city now is half Europeanized, but up the steep narrow streets of the native quarter,
one finds oneself already in the world of the Arabian Nights.
Across the Mediterranean the ship now turns to MONACO, the high-stepping principality
on the south-eastern coast of France, at which all the Puritan world shakes its finger.
Within its tiny area more fortunes have been lost and won than lives have been squandered
on the battlefields of Europe. The tables at the Monte Carlo Casino are forbidden to the
twenty thousand local inhabitants, who, however, have the consolation of being exempt
from taxes. Monaco is traversed by the splendid Corniche road. A drive has been arranged
to Nice, along this magnificent highway, with its vistas of lovely gardens and of cliffs
surmounting the azure sea.
NAPLES is the next port of call, the largest, busiest and most populous port in Italy.
Here opportunity is given to see the chief points of interest in the city and to visit
POMPEII.
" Nearly seventeen centuries had rolled away when the City of Pompeii was disinterred from
its silent tomb, all vivid with undimmed hues; its walls fresh as if painted yesterday—not a hue
faded on the rich mosaic of its floors—in its forum the half-finished columns as left by the
workman's hand—in its gardens the sacrificial tripod—-in its halls the chest of treasure — in its
baths the strigil—in its theatres the counter of admission—in its saloons the furniture and the
lamp—in its triclinia the fragments of the last feast—in its cubicula the perfumes and the
rouge of faded beauty—and everywhere the bones and skeletons of those who once moved the
springs of that minute yet gorgeous machine of luxury and of life!"
(From Bulwer Lytton's "The Last Days of Pompeii.")
At Naples the Farnese Sculptures and other priceless treasures, illustrating the life of
the Roman Empire, from the buried cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum, are to be found
in the National Museum. The Castel Nuovo, built six hundred years ago, is the dungeoned
palace of the French Kings of Anjou and the Spanish Kings of Aragon. Of particular
human interest are the arches of the San Carlo Theatre, where the public scribes take
down the love letters of the girls who cannot write. An optional excursion has been arranged for those who wish to visit Rome.
Page Six Page Seven M.
Page Bight HOLY LAND
HAIFA, port of call for the Holy Land, is on the Bay of Acre, not very far from the town
of Acre, famous in the annals of the Crusades. The ruins of the Crusaders' Wall at Acre
may still be seen. It was from the sands of the Bay of Acre that the Tyrian purple was
extracted. Mount Carmel, where Elijah challenged and defeated the 450 prophets of Baal,
is also close at hand.
Many places in NAZARETH are identified with the boyhood of Jesus—Mary's Well, the
fountain of still sweet water to which the women bring their jars, the grotto of the Carpenter's Shop found under an old church built by the Crusaders.
"However deep the builder may be obliged to dig to reach it, no other foundation than the
virgin rock contents the Nazarene. The craftsmen ply their several trades, always seated, if
it be possible, either at their doors, or in the street. Most of the old-fashioned tools are still
in use; but in carpenters' shops the modern innovation of a work-bench has been introduced, so
that the carpenter stands at his work instead of sitting with his plank on his lap, as it is
possible that Joseph the carpenter did nineteen hundred years ago. The dwellings, as elsewhere
in the East, are not cumbered with much furniture.''
(Dr. John Fulton, in "'Palestine, the Holy Land.")
Tiberias, Magdala, the steep places down which plunged the Gadarene Swine, the slopes
on which Christ preached his Sermon on the Mount, all these are still pointed out beside
the SEA OF GALILEE. At Cana of Galilee, the Greek Church contains an earthen jar
which is claimed to be one of those in which the water was turned into wine at the marriage
feast. The spring is still shown from which the water is said to have been drawn for Christ's
first miracle.   The fishermen are still drawing in their nets as in the days of the Apostles.
JERUSALEM has been destroyed and rebuilt so often (sixteen times at least) that some
of the original streets in David's Royal City are now eighty feet underground. Traces
of the wall built by Herod may still be found at the Wailing Place of the Jews.
"Jerusalem is the pilgrimage city of the world. Sacred to the Christians, the centre of Jewish
religious devotion and national dreams, it is also a second Mecca to the Mohammedans ....
The prophet Mohammed himself said that one prayer here was worth a thousand elsewhere.
The Christians of the Eastern churches are brought up in much the same faith . . . From
the wilds of Abyssinia, from the flat plains of Egypt, from the mountain fastnesses of Greece,
and from all over Russia, even to the borders of Siberia, they come to drop their tears upon the
tomb." (Frank G. Carpenter, in "The Holy Land and Syria.")
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is built on the traditional rock of Calvary and in the
centre of the church is the traditional tomb of Christ. The Mosque of Omar, or Dome of
the Rock, covers the rock on the summit of Mount Moriah on which Abraham offered the
sacrifice of Isaac. Here was the original Temple of Solomon, and here, according to the
Mohammedans, the Angel Gabriel will blow the Last Trumpet. Below it is the Garden of
Gethsemane, now much frequented by pilgrims. David's Tower is one of the buildings
that was standing in the days of Christ. Very impressive is the view from the neighboring
Mount Olivet, with its panorama of Jerusalem, Judea and the Dead Sea.
Page Nine  CAIRO
PORT SAID is the port from which those who do not wish to travel overland by way of
Jerusalem will entrain for CAIRO. While the steamer leisurely proceeds to Suez, its passengers will spend the time in the Land of the Pharaohs. The Cruise is timed to hit Cairo
at the height of the season.
CAIRO itself, "The Mother of the World" according to the Arab phrase, is the largest
City in Africa, with nearly a million inhabitants. Its magnificent Museum contains the
treasures of four thousand years of Pharaohs, including the recently discovered marvels
of the tomb of Tut-ankh-amen. Among the buildings of exceptional interest are the
Mosque of El Azhar, greatest of Mohammedan Universities, dating from the year 071,
the Mosque of Amr, the Domed Tombs of the Mameluke Sultans, the tall slender minarets
of the Mosque and Fort of Mohammed Ali, in the centre of which is Joseph's Well, the
Mosques of Tulun, Kalaun, Barbuk, Kait Bay and that of Sultan Hasan, dating from 1358.
In the streets of Cairo the snake charmer will make his cobras dance on the sidewalk.
In the native bazaars you can buy exquisite gold and silver embroideries, hammered brass,
inlaid furniture, the red and black glazed pottery from Assiout, silks, Egyptian mats or
applique sail cloth. Here are the water-carriers you have seen in so many pictures, the red-
aproned sellers of sherbet with their ornamental jars.
Automobiles, carriages and guides will be provided for a drive round this fascinating city,
and an excursion is arranged for the Pyramids of Ghizeh and the Sphinx. This marvelous
piece of sculpture, carved from a ridge of rock reinforced with masonry, guards the Cemetery
of Memphis, once the Metropolis of Egypt. There will also be an excursion on the River
Nile by steamer to Bedrechein and return.
The train from Cairo to SUEZ passes through the Biblical Land of Goshen.   Near Zazazig
are the ruins of Bubastis, a city built
by the Israelites. From the car windows
one looks over the wide plains through
which two thousand years ago Joseph and
Mary fled from Palestine with the infant
Jesus.
Page Eleven
A . .  1-1
HHHHHi
"Egypt is the gift of the Nile," said Herodotus, the
old Greek historian. According to legend, the Nile is
the oldest river in the World, 3,473 miles long, and drains
an area of over a million square miles, although there
are no branches from within 1,700 miles of its outlet.
On the river banks Abraham pitched his tent, but two
thousand years before that the Sphinx was carved out
of the solid rock, and civilization has been traced into a
still remoter antiquity of four thousand years before
even the Sphinx lifted mysterious eyes over the desert.
Page Thirteen  'V'! -
INDIA
BOMBAY, the next port of call, is one of the great seaports of the world.
A stay of a week has been allowed here, so as to enable those who take
this Cruise, not only to see the sights in this fascinating city of the
Orient, thronged as it is with the peoples of a hundred races, but also
to tour inland to see Delhi and the exquisitely beautiful Taj Mahal at
Agra. In the Great Bazaar the native merchants offer their richly
decorated wares and handicrafts. Not far off are the Hanging Gardens
and the Towers of Silence, where the Parsee Worshippers of Fire dispose
of their dead. The Victoria and Northbrook Gardens are set out with
flowers in tropical profusion.
DELHI, with its celebrated street, the Chandni Chauk, was the capital
of the Afghan and Mohammedan Empires and is now the official Capital
of British India. Here is the Fort and Palace of Shah Jehan, superbly
decorated with inlaid work and carving, notable for the Painted Palace
of the Chief Sultana, the Royal Baths, and the Audience Hall with its
inscription " If there is a Heaven on Earth, it is this—it is this!" Here,
too, is the Jama Masjid, claimed to be the finest mosque in India. The
battered walls of the Kashmere Gate recall the historic days of the
Indian Mutiny.
AGRA, another walled city, was the Capital of the Mogul rulers before
it yielded place of honour to Delhi in 1658. Deeply interesting are the
Fort with Shah Jehan's Glass Palace and the Pearl Mosque, the Anguri
Bagh or Grape Garden, and the various palaces. But exquisite above
all is the Taj Mahal or Peerless Crown, built for Queen Nur Jehan in
1630. Twenty thousand workmen took twenty-two years to build this
marvelous structure. INDIA-CEYLON
BENARES, the Holy City of the Hindoos and the capital of Brahminism, has fifteen
hundred temples and mosques and is visited by over a million pilgrims every year. From
the Ghats, or bathing steps, the pious wash away their sins in the sacred waters of the
Ganges. At the Burning Ghats the dead are burned and thrown into the river. The
Masjid of Aurungzebe, marked out by its two minarets, commands a notable view of this
amazing city.
CALCUTTA, on the Hooghly, is a hundred miles inland from the Bay of Bengal. The
Splendid houses of the rich merchant princes vie with the palaces of the Indian potentates.
With its swarming population of a million and a quarter, Hindoo, Mohammedan and
Christian, Calcutta offers endless fascination to the student of the human race. The
present Post Office covers the spot once known as the Black Hole of Calcutta.
Most thrilling of all railroad trips is that to DARJEELING, the famous summer resort
in the Himalayas. The train climbs up 7.000 feet in fifty miles, with glorious views of Mount
Everest and Kinchinjunga.
CEYLON. As the EMPRESS OF FRANCE approaches COLOMBO, Adam's Peak looms
in the background, famous for the titanic footprint which the Mohammedans say was made
by Adam after his banishment from the Garden of Eden, when he stood on one foot for a
hundred years by way of penance.
The harbor of Colombo is protected by a splendid breakwater against which the wildest
storms of the south-west Monsoon break themselves in vain. Since 1795, Ceylon has been a
Crown Colony in the British Empire. To-day it is one of the great tea producing countries,
and owing to the wealth of its pearl fisheries is known as the "pearl garden of the world."
Four days are scheduled for Ceylon. Drives are arranged to Victoria Park, through
the Pettah, or picturesque native quarter, and through the luxuriant avenues of palms to
Galle. The red roads, the brilliant vegetation and the gay costumes combine to make a
picture of intensely vivid color. The streets are thronged with Singhalese, shaven Tamils
from Southern India, Arabs, Parsees and white-capped Moormen. Highly picturesque
are the bullock-bandies or two wheeled carts with hoods of cocoanut leaf drawn by yoked
oxen.
A trip will be made to Mount Lavinia, and an excursion to KANDY, the ancient Capital,
on the shores of a lovely lake, celebrated in particular for the temple containing Buddha's
Tooth. The road into the interior climbs through a succession of romantic gorges, and
overlooks the great plantations. The island is rich in rubies, sapphires and moonstones,
and the natives are skilful in the crafts of jewelry. At Kandy the botanical gardens of Pera-
deniya are particularly interesting to the lover of tropical flowers.  SUMATRA
\<Sh
The EMPRESS OF FRANCE now enters
the Malay Archipelago with its picturesque
and romantic seacraft and skylines of
volcanic mountains soaring over 11,000 feet
high. Padang—Pandjang is probably the
least European of all the places visited on
this World Cruise. Its quaint steep-roofed
houses of carved wood and native Sumatran
costumes are a delight to the photographer.
The scenery traversed from the port of
Emma Harbour to Padang itself is entranc-
ingly beautiful. Unique are the native
dances and the shadow pantomimes; alluring
indeed are the curios, the batik and_ the
masterpieces of native craft. In Sumatra
and Java we are in the mysterious country
and sub-tropical paradise of Joseph Conrad's
romances.
Page Eighteen
Si
AAai- n..«
"tf A."'- ■"',
W&m$E&*
fa®i
UPS
1£.
JP
$ ©   9   ©   ^
*m? JAVA
*>:
r>
f!
The next port is BATAVIA. capital of the
Dutch East Indies, on the island of Java.
According to the geologists, this island is
essentially volcanic, for volcanic forces made
it, occasionally devastate it, and continue
to fertilise it. The Botanical Gardens of
Buitzenzorg are unrivalled for the study of
tropical flora, and the island contains over
5,000 known species of plants, including 561
varieties of orchids. So luxuriant is the
vegetation that even tall trees are found in
blossom. The Ethnological Museum at
Batavia is of fascinating interest. Among
the crafts for which the Javanese are noted,
that of the decorated cloth, known as batik,
appeals particularly to the artist.
Page Nineteen
, ■* *
«\II
^iL^^^iii^L
'iflSlfc*^- &Jt^^mZ*
Jm*.-W"
"*.,
&fM A*
:
TWJm
-w
Iffek. '
'wzM SINGAPORE
SINGAPORE, known in Malay history as the City of the Lion, is essentially
a city of the British lion. It is the Gibraltar of the East, and owing to its
position between India, Hongkong and Australia looms large in the naval
expenditure of the British Empire. Its harbour is one of the most fascinating
in the world, owing to the variety of the craft that take shelter in its roomy
shelter, for it is the chief entrepot for the East Indian traders. Ships of every
nation are to be found -lying off its docks, most picturesque of all being the
Malay sailing vessels, for the Malays are a great sea-faring race and owing to
their peculiar characteristics have been termed sea-gypsies.
Singapore, on an island, at the southern end of the Malay Peninsula, is the
busy capital of the Straits Settlements, with a population of over 300,000.
Tin and rubber, spices and gums, rattan and copra, are some of the exports
of this Malaysian port. Half the tin of the world is said to have passed
through the smelting works on the island of Pylau Brani, and the rubber
plantations are of enormous value. The population is a highly colored epitome of the Orient. In iqii there were in the Straits Settlements 240,000
Malays, 370,000 Chinese and 82,000 natives of India. The Chinese, who are
steadily immigrating into the country, are particularly successful as gardeners
and farmers. In the Tanglin Botanical Gardens part of the original jungle is
enclosed. Particularly interesting are the tropical lilies in the lake. Native
culture can be studied in the Malay Theatre, and European culture in the
famous Raffles Hotel. The porticoed shops provide endless entertainment to
those on the look-out for oriental fabrics and curios. One of the most interesting features of the Singapore programme will be the fifteen mile motor drive to
Johore.Bahru, capital of the State of Johore, known as the Oriental Monte
Carlo and dominated by the splendid palace built by the Sultan Abubakur.
Very picturesque is the contrast between the luxurious gum foliage of this
tropical island (only 78 miles from the equator) and the red coloured roads.
The race course, polo ground and golf courses provide ample entertainment
for the Europeans; the ladies have their own golf links.
The dominating figure in Singapore history is that of Sir Thomas Stamford
Raffles, who in 1787, at the age of sixteen, became a clerk with the East
India company, learned the Malay tongue and revived an old trading post
at Malacca. At thirty he invaded and captured Java from the French, but
five years later was recalled by the English who returned the island to the
Dutch, its original governors. Then, believing the Dutch were attempting to
extend their suzerainty over the entire East, he purchased the island of Singapore from the Sultan of Rhio, who also was Penghulu of Johore, on February
6, i8iq, and placed it under the jurisdiction of Bengal. Seven years later the
Straits Settlements were formed, and in 1867 they became a crown colony
of Great Britain. Thus, Sir Thomas founded the city whose position destined
it to become not only "the Key to the East" but also its "coal hole," for it
is said that a ship can be coaled more quickly here by hand, than anywhere
else in the world.
Page Twenty  MAN I LA
The Spanish discoverers called the PHILIPPINES the "Pearl of the
Orient." Magellan, the heroic and ill-fated explorer, set foot on these
islands in 1521. In 1570 the first permanent settlement was made and
Manila founded.
In i 8q8 they passed into the possession of the United States. Today they form an interesting object lesson in what twenty-six years of
American efficiency have made in comparison with three centuries of
Spanish government.
There are 1,000 miles of first-class roads, and irrigation plans are
under way to water 1,000,000 acres. Modern Manila is being laid
out under a town planning scheme designed by that distinguished
architect, the late D. H. Burnham. There are now 600 miles of
railway.
The archipelago (which comprises over 3,000 distinct islands, of
which 350 are over a mile square) is hilly and mountainous. Two-
thirds of its land surface is covered with forests: gutta percha. India
rubber, and other gum-yielding trees abound. The climate, more
salubrious than most tropical climates, varies little throughout the
year.
Manila, on Luzon Island, the capital of the group, with a population
of about 300,000, has a deep and safe harbour with an enormous
commerce, and is the largest hemp market in the world.
During the days spent in this interesting port, an automobile drive
will be taken round the city along the Escolta, or main street, with
its bazaars and European stores, to the Luneta, or fashionable driveway, and the old Spanish walled city with its convents, monasteries,
palaces, mediaeval moats and picturesque Spanish houses. The
Carabao, or water buffalo, still shares the road with the high-powered
motor car.   Very impressive is the stately pile of the Cathedral.
Cockfighting, although prohibited in Manila, is still the chief sport
of the natives, and "in the average country town the cockpit shares
with the church the distinction of being the most conspicuous building
in the place."
Page Twenty-two  /fll HONG KONG
From Manila to HONGKONG is just a week end trip. Hong Kong, established as an outpost of the British Empire, is one of the great seaports of the
world, swarming with steamers, sailing ships, junks and sampans. This is
not surprising when one realizes that of cotton goods alone China has an
annual consumption "which would carpet a roadway sixty feet wide from
here to the moon."
Founded in 1841, the City of Victoria has grown to be an amphitheatre
of substantial edifices round one of the busiest harbours in the Orient,
"It sheers up out of the water—a huge rock, green to the top, where it
isn't stone-grey with streets and houses. Great Britain's other Rock,
Gibraltar, may be more impressive, but Hongkong stands at the crossroads
of the East, and the trade that flows in and out of this marvellous harbor
at its feet would turn Gibraltar dizzy. For at one time (not so long ago), it was
the greatest port in the world in point of in and out tonnage."
HONGKONG is a free port with a delightful freedom from customs formalities, and has its own currency. The curio shops maintain an inexhaustible
fascination for the traveler, and the stores are rich in Canton blackwood
furniture, Swatow lace and porcelain. A well built military road winding
round the island on which Victoria is built offers a delightful motor trip.
The Peak, 1,800 feet above the sea, commands a magnificent view, and no
one should miss visiting the Flag-staff, with its wide panorama of city and
harbour.
CANTON, one of the most densely populated cities in the world, where,
2,000,000 people live on land and 200,000 on water-craft, is eighty miles from
Hong Kong. In addition to the famous Canton furniture, the local wares
include tortoise shell, lacquer, fans, pottery, ivory carving, lanterns, inlaid
ware, ebony and silk. The Chinese city is a labyrinth of dark and narrow
streets.
"He dreams afterwards, as a nightmare, of this city of Oriental riches and
barbaric splendor, the city of the greatest wealth and the direst poverty, and
he sees again the narrow, seething thoroughfares, the blaze of gold and
vermilion, the glitter and glow of showy interiors, where if the Queen of Sheba
did not live, she certainly went a-shopping."
Among the sights are the Temple of Honan, the houses for sacred pigs and
poultry, the Flowery Pagoda, the Temple of the Five Genii, and the Calamity
Bell. Highly decorated barges, known as Flower Boats and used as restaurants,
add gaiety to the night. The trip to Canton is inclusive for all passengers
cruising on the EMPRESS OF FRANCE.
Page Twenty-five SHANGHAI
SHANGHAI, the next port of call on this wonderful cruise, is the commercial capital of North China, and the largest foreign settlement of the Orient.
The French Settlement is a separate municipality, while the British and
Americans are united in the International Settlement. Every nation in
Europe and most of the nations of Asia are represented in this, the most
cosmopolitan city in the world. Shanghai is built on a tributary of the
Yangtse Kiang, and taps for its trade a population of 200,000,000 people.
The Bund is a street consisting chiefly of modern six-storey buildings.
Its.most famous edifice is the Shanghai Club, with a bar 110 feet long,
said to be the longest in the world. Nanking Road is the great shopping
street, with Chinese department stores and amusement palaces. The Bubbling Well Road, famous in many a romance, is a continuation of this road,
and leads to the Race Course. In. the native city the Thieves' Market is
notable for its curios, although the best and most reliable curio shops are
to be found in the International Settlement, and the Willow Pattern Tea
House is the objective of every tourist in China. Shanghai is the dramatic
capital of China, and the theatres are well worth a visit.
The EMPRESS OF FRANCE now proceeds to Taku, and all passengers
will have the opportunity of visiting Peking, without extra charge.
Page Twenty-six  PIE KING
PEKING has been the Capital of China for goo years, and is on the same
parallel of latitude as Madrid. The opening of the Forbidden City to the
foreigner has made it one of the most fascinating tourist objectives in the
world. The best view of the city is from Chien Men. the tower on the South
Wall of the Tartar City, from which one can look down on the gaily colored
tile roofs of temples, pagodas and palaces, and also upon the swarm of human
life. The springless mule-drawn Peking cart, the sedan chair, the ricksha, the
double-humped Bacterian Camel, are still to be seen along with the automobile. Porcelains, silks, embroideries, cloisonne, lanterns, rugs, carvings
and curios can be secured here as in no other Chinese City.
In the south of the Chinese City is the Temple of Heaven, containing the
Palace of Abstinence, the blue tiled Temple of the Happy Year and the Altar
of Heaven, the most sacred object in China.
Fascinating is the famous Summer Palace, with its beautiful grounds and
halls with yellow-tiled roofs and brilliantly decorated eaves.
"And the whole of six hundred years of Chinese history has gone
into the making of the quaint palace doors and windows shaped like ■
vases and fans and teapots; the boathouse where the imperial barge
used to lie; the spring that trickles through its intricate stone tracery,
made to go slowly so that it won't carry good luck away; the rock
gardens, so strange to our western eyes, where all the flowers are
twisted stone; the Bridge of Ten Thousand Years; the theatre where
the Empress watched the classic three-day plays; the Throne Hall
of Purple Effulgence where she gave her last audience to the Dalai
Lama in his gorgeous yellow robes, and went to join her august
ancestors at the Place of the Nine Springs."
An excursion will be made to the Great
Page Twenty-eight
V I
-w^mm^w^i
.  Me
JAPAN
KOBE is the climax of the entrancing voyage through the Inland Sea.
With a population of over 600,000, Kobe presents a typical picture of modern
Japan, while at the same time the Buddhist temples and Shinto Shrines pre--
serve the character of the old. The "ricsha" of China is in Japan known as
the jinricksha, but is always the same private portable throne. Excursions
have been arranged to Kyoto and Nara.
KYOTO. This sacred city, for a thousand years the Capital of Japan, illustrates in its temples, shrines, museums and palaces the history and art of a
fascinating people. Beautifully situated in an amphitheatre of mountains,
its parks and gardens provide a calendar of floral festivals unrivalled anywhere in the world. April is the month of cherry blossoms, and already in
April the azaleas, peonies and wistaria begin to flower. In April the Miyako
Odori dance may be seen at the Kaburenjo Theatre. The skill of the Japanese
excels in Kyoto silks, crepes, fans, porcelains, bronzes, lacquer carvings,
damascene, cloisonne and embroideries. Teapot Hill has half a mile of curio
shops, each with its fascinating treasures.
Of the Q50 Buddhist temples and Shinto Shrines, it is hard to select those
most worth a visit. Kiomidza Temple, thronged with pilgrims, has a platform 150 feet high from which jealous husbands used to throw their wives.
The Hall of 33,000 Buddhas, Higashi Hongwangi, the largest temple In Japan,
with a rope made of the hair of 3,500 women, and the Nishi Hongwangi,
said to be the most perfect example of Buddhist art in Japan, and the Kuro-
dani Temple in its setting of cryptomerias, pines and flowering trees, are each
world famous. The Mikado's Palace on its garden, and Nijo Castle, the moated
palace of the Shoguns, illustrate the historic past.
NARA, still more ancient capital of Japan than Kyoto, has been less influenced
perhaps than any other of the cities by European culture. The Kasuga no
Miya, a Shinto shrine founded -in AD. 710. the Ni-Gwatser-do or Second
Moon Temple, with its roof of swinging lanterns, the Big Bell and the great
bronze Daibutsu, are but a few of many relics of the Eighth Century. Wonderful sculptures are to be found in the Nara Museum.
Page Thirty-one JAPAN
YOKOHAMA and TOKYO, devastated in 1923 by a great
earthquake, are rapidly being reconstructed by a courageous people.
While it must be many years before the scars left by this great tragedy
have been effaced, the progress already made is remarkable, and the
study of the reconstruction is in itself an education and an inspiration.
KAMAKURA, once a military stronghold, is now little else than a
fishing village. The huge bronze Buddha, nearly 55 feet high, with
eyes nearly four feet long, has stood for nearly a thousand years, the
roost impressive image of its kind.
NIKKO. Five hours from Tokyo by train, the marvelous shrines of
Nikko—"Sunny Splendour"—are set in a semi-circle of towering
mountains. Here are grouped the most richly decorated temples in
Japan, and the tombs of two great Shoguns. The sacred Red Lacquer
Bridge spans a roaring, torrent and the roads and mountain slopes are
shaded with stately cryptomerias. Broad stone steps, magnificently
carved and gilded gates, spacious terraces, lanterned enclosures surrounded with walls of lacquer and gold, lofty roofs with carved gables
and crested ridgepoles, panelled ceilings and a multitude of gilded images
silk bordered mats underfoot, the fragrance of incense, the resonant
music of gongs and the clang of bells—these are a few of the imperishable
memories carried away from a visit to the mausoleums of Jegasu and
Jemitsu. The visit to Nikko is a shore excursion available for all
passengers.
"Nikko has been a holy place, up in its mountains, since the year 766.
Spring and Fall are the pleasantest seasons in which to visit it—but it
is beautiful the year around.
"We of the West think in straight lines (or so it seems to us), think
symmetrically. But this place is as strange as the other side of the
moon, for nothing is colored or carved as we would have done it, nor
does one thing lead to another as we would have had it lead	
Each court, each terrace, each gate draws us farther and farther away
from reality as it comes to the mind of the West, till we reach at last
to the holy of holies, and are given our green gown, and a little scared
sake in a tiny red and gold lacquered cup."
fflf!
Page Thirty-two  ^rawowCTiwwawwtaaweis
MA.W.A.II-HI L.O
THE PACIFIC COAST
HONOLULU. Fifteen volcanoes rising out of the Pacific to form is-
■ lands, each with its necklace of coral reef, have made the group known as
Hawaii. The natives are the most affable of people, and are best known
for their contribution to American music. The first Hawaiians arrived
at Honolulu a thousand years ago from Samoa, speaking a language
akin to that of the Maoris of New Zealand. The population now comprises all the races of the Pacific. Honolulu, the capital, with its
avenues of royal palms, gives the impression of being garlanded with
flowers and laden with luscious fruit.
At the unrivalled bathing beach of Waikiki, thousands ride the waves
in surf canoes or on surf boards.
Very impressive is the precipice of Pali, twelve hundred feet above the
sea, down which King Oahu's warriors hurled themselves when defeated by Kamehameha. Passengers will enjoy the qo mile motor
drive around the Island, including Pali and the principal points of
interest in the City,
Coasting along the cliff-bound shores, the EMPRESS OF FRANCE
steams on from Honolulu to HILO, the port from which an easy ascent
can be made to the crater of the still active volcano, Kilauea, the largest
lake of fire in the world. The road from Hilo to the crater is of tropical
beauty, flanked with titanic ferns and a flch profusion of exotic flowers.
In the intervals between eruptions, the lava floor of the crater carries
in spots a luxuriant vegetation, though the general impression is one
of vast and desolate waste.   The pit is three miles across.
VICTORIA and VANCOUVERon the Pacific Coast of British Columbia
are the next ports of call, enabling those who so desire to complete their
round the world trip overland through the majestic scenery of the
Canadian Pacific Rockies. For five hundred miles along this route the
train passes through the most spectacular and romantic scenery in the
world, and where time is a factor no more attractive alternative route
could be offered than this. Victoria has been aptly called "a little bit
of England on the Pacific Coast", and is world famous for its gardens.
The lovely Empress Hotel faces the harbour, and is the centre of all
social activity. Very beautiful is the passage through the Straits of
San Juan de Fuca to Vancouver, the magnificent port on the mainland,
the Pacific Coast terminal for the Canadian Pacific Railway and the
commercial capital of British Columbia. The city itself faces a range
of mountains remarkable for two peaks silhouetted against the sky
resembling two couchant lions. Stanley Park encloses part of the virgin
forest with its stately Douglas firs.
SAN FRANCISCO, with its immense land-locked harbour," entered
through the romantic portal of the Golden Gate, with its glorious vistas
of shore and mountain, is the next port of call. All'the charm of
California is epitomized in this beautiful city with its spacious parks,
noble buildings, busy streets and background of orchard, forest and
flower-scented gardens.
Page Thirty-Four   PANAMA
For 43.84 nautical miles, passengers on the Empress of France will have the
opportunity of studying the engineering miracle of this artificial waterway
between two oceans. Gatun Lake is the summit level—85 feet above the sea,
it is reached by means of Miraflores Locks (slightly over a mile in length),
Miraflores Lake and the Pedro Miguel Locks (5-6th of a mile long). As these
locks are of the double-barrelled type, each containing two distinct chambers,
ships may be passed in opposite directions at the same time. Each of the
twin chambers in every lock has a usable length of 1,000 feet, a width of 110
feet, and is 70 feet in depth.
Passing through the great Culebra Cut, which is itself eight miles long, the
Empress steams a further 24 miles through the picturesque Gatun Lake,—
the largest artificially formed lake in the world. Gatun Lake has an area of
164 square miles and a maximum depth of qo feet. The great ship threads a
tortuous path in and out of new formed islands,—the hills and mountains
of the time before the canal.
The Atlantic is reached through the three steps of the Gatun Locks. On our
left, as we descend, is the great Gatun Dam, the pivot and centre of the entire
canal system. It is built across the historic valley of the Chagris River, which
formed the old explorers' and gold-traders' route to Panama and the Pacific.
A remarkable system of buoys and lights has made this marvellous canal
as safe by night as it is by day. It is thus possible for forty-eight ships to be
transferred from one ocean to another in 24 hours.
Balboa, the Pacific terminal port of the canal, takes its name from Vasco
Numez de Balboa, the famous Spanish adventurer, who in 1513, 400 years
almost to a day before the first test was made of the Gatun Locks, crossed
the Isthmus and saw for the first time, the great Pacific. The shores of the
Atlantic outlet were visited by Alanzo de Ojeda in 1490 and skirted by
Columbus in 1502 while he was searching for a route to India. In that year
be actually founded the first colony at Nombre de Dios, close to Colon.
The old city of Panama, six miles from Balboa, was founded in 1519 and
sacked by the buccaneer. Sir Henry Morgan, in 1761. Its ruins are interesting as the relics of the oldest European town on the mainland of America.
Although the Canal has just completed its 10th year of service, it is old in
the thoughts of men. When the discovery of the Straits of Magellan and the
consequent mapping of South America convinced the explorers that there
was no waterway to the West, in the central latitudes, the Canal was at once
thought of. Alvaro de Saavedra, the companion of Balboa in the discovery
of the Pacific, drafted a plan for the cutting of the strait, in 1529.
From that time the Canal was an international hope; Spaniards, Frenchmen, Britons and Americans, through the centuries, made surveys and
developed schemes, formed companies and failed. The Canal made an
inescapable appeal to the popular as to the commercial and naval imagination.
The American Government was perhaps fortunate in attacking the Isthmus
at a time when the mechanical progress of the world had justified the attempt.
Page Thirty-seven HAVA N A
Then CUBA and Havana—the Paris of the western hemisphere, rich in
history, eternal monument to the one-time greatness of Spain and the daring
of her navigators.
With Punta castle on the one side, Morro castle and la Cabana on the other,
majestically the EMPRESS OF FRANCE steams into one of the most
beautiful harbours of the world and offers her passengers their first glimpse of
picturesque Havana.
Swiftly memory races back over the pages of history—the Spanish-American
war, which grew out of the sinking of the Maine at the very spot over which
the Empress will pass; the many Dutch and English attacks upon the port;
the sackings and despoilings of pirates; the visit of Sir Francis Drake, Elizabeth's champion of the seas who flouted the power of Spain and finally overthrew the Great Armada. Almost a hidden power seems to turn one's eyes
to the very fortresses that were built after Drake's unsuccessful attempt to
sack the city. Back, back goes the mind to the discovery of the Island of
Cuba by Columbus, in 1492,
To the visitor of to-day there are really two Havanas, equally attractive and
as different as the old world is from the new. The old city grouped about the
Plaza des Armas in the customary Spanish fashion is a curious mixture of the
majestic and the squalid. Here is to be seen the famous Columbus Cathedral,
which held the bones of the great discoverer "until they were removed to
Seville on the termination of the disastrous war with the United States.
The old Governors' Palace and the civil and military administrative buildings, mute evidences of the almost forgotten power of Spain, occupy the other
sides of the square. Here too is to be seen the oldest European building in
the new world, the fortress of la Fuerza which was constructed in 1538 and
was for many years the chief defence of the city. From its roof, an old-time
look-out, the visitor obtains a truly magnificent view of the harbour, the city
and its environs.
There is another Havana, a monument, not to hoary age, but to the genius
and generosity of a modern nation. When the Americans occupied the city
in i8q8 they found a beautiful relic of other times crusted unfortunately with
the dirt and decay of age.
The old city they swept and garnished, gave it the sanitation, lighting and
transportation of a modern metropolis and left an ornament to the whole
world. About it they erected a city on their own model—a city of wide
streets, great spaces and beautiful parks.
And then, the last stretch of this great world-cruise to New York.
Page Thirty-eight Page Thirty-nine CANADIAN PACIFIC AGENCIES
THROUGHOUT THE WORLD
CANADA AND UNITED STATES
Atlanta Ga.-r-E. G. Chesb rough. Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 49 N. Forsyth St.
Belllngham. .. .Wash.—S. B. Freeman, City Passenger Agent 1252 Elk St.
Boston Mass.—L. R. Hart. Gen. Agt.  Pass. Dept 405  Boylston St.
Buffalo N.Y.—H. R. Mathewson. Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 160 Peart St.
Calgary Alta.—J. E. Proctor, District Pass. Agt C.P.R. Station
Chicago 111.—R. S. Elworthy, Gen. Agt. Ocean Traffic. 71 East Jackson Blvd.
Cincinnati Ohio—M. E. Malone, Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept.. .201 Dixie Terminal Bldg
Cleveland Ohio—G. H. Griffin. Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 1040 Prospect Ave.
Detroit Mich.—G. G. McKay, Gen". Agt. Pass. Dept 1239 Griswold St.
Duluth Minn.—David   Bertie.  Trav.   Passenger Agt Soo Line Depot
Edmonton Alta.—C. S. Fyfe. City Ticket Agent C.P.R. Building
Fort William ... .Ont.—A. J. Boreham, City Passenger Agt 404 Victoria Ave.
Halifax N.S.—J. D. Chlpman. City Passenger Agt 117 Hollis St.
Hamilton Ont.—A. Craig, uity Passenger Agent Cor. King and James St.
Havana Cuba—Santafflaria y Ca.. Passenger Agent San Ignacio 18
Honolulu T.H.—Theo. H. Davies & Co.
Juneau Alaska—J. L. McClosky, Agent.
Kansas City Mo.—R. G. Norris, City Pass'r Agent. .601 Railway Exchange Bldg.
Ketchikan . . . .Alaska—F. E. Ryus. Agent.
Kingston Ont.—F. Conway, City Passenger Agent 180 Wellington St.
Kingston Jamaica—George and Branday, Agents.
. London Ont.—H. J. McCallum, City Passenger Agent... .417 Richmond St.
Los Angeles Cal.—W. Mcllroy, Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 605 South Spring St.
Mexico City Mex.—H. E. Bourchier. General Agent P.O. Box 147 7
Milwaukee Wis.—F. T. Sansdm, City Passenger Agent 68 Wisconsin St.
Minneapolis. . .Minn.—H. M. Tait. Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 611 2nd Ave. South
Montreal Que.—D. R. Kennedy, Gen. Agent. Ocean Traffic... 141 St. James St.
Moosejaw Sask.—A.   C.   Harris,  Ticket  Agent Canadian  Pacific Station
Nelson B.C.—J. S. Carter. District Pass. Agent..' Baker 8c Ward St.
New York N.Y.—E. T. St ebbing. Gen. Agt.Ocean Traffic .Madison Av.at 44th St.
North Bay Ont.—L. O. Tremblay. District Pass. Agt 87 Main Street W.
Ottawa Ont.—J. A. McGill. Gen. Agt.  Pass. Dept 83 Sparks St-
Philadelphia Pa.—R. C. Clayton, City Pass. Agt Locust St. at 15th
Pittsburgh Pa.—C. L. Williams, Gen. Agent Pass. Dept 338 Sixth Ave.
Portland Ore.—W. H. Deacon, Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 55 Third St.
Prince Rupert... B.C.—W. C. Orchard, General Agent.
Quebec Que.—C. A. Langevin,  City Pass. Agent Palais Station
Regina Sask.—G. D. Brophy, District Pass. Agent. -Canadian Pacific Station
St. John N.B.—G, B.  Burpee, District Pass. Agent 40 King St.
St. Louis Mo.—G.P. Carbrey, Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 420 Locust St.
St. Paul Minn.—W. H. Lennon. Gen. Agt. Soo Line.. ..Robert & Fourth St.
San Francisco. . .Cal.—F. L. Nason, Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 675 Market St.
Saskatoon Sask.—G. B. Hill, City Pass. Agent 115 Second Ave.
Sault Ste. Marie Ont.—J. O. Johnston, City Pass. Agent 529 Queen St.
Seattle Wash.—E. L. Sheehan, Gen. Agt. Pass. Dept 608 Second Ave.
Sherbrooke Que.—-J. A. Metivier, City Pass. Agt 74 Wellington St.
Skagway Alaska—L. H. Johnston, Agent.
Spokane.' Wash.—E. L. Cardie, Traffic Mgr. Spokane International Ry.
Tacoma Wash.—D. C. O'Keefe. City Passenger Agent 1113 Pacific Ave.
Toronto Ont.—J. E. Parker, Gen. Agent, Ocean Traffic.Can. Pacific Bldg.
King and Yonge Sts.
Vancouver B.C.—J. J. Forster, Gen. Agent Ocean Traffic... .Can. Pacific Station
Victoria B.C.—L. D. Chetham. Dist. Passenger Agt.. 1102 Government St.
Washington D.C.—C. E. Phelps, City Passenger Agent.. .90S Fifteenth St. N.W.
Winnipeg Man.—W. C. Casey, Gen. Agent, Ocean Traffic 364 Main St.
EUROPE
Antwerp Belgium—A.  L.  Rawlinson 25 Quai Jordaens
Belfast Ireland—Wm. McCalla 41 Victoria St.
Birmingham .... Eng.—W.   T.   Treadaway 4 Victoria Square
Bristol Eng.—A. S.  Ray ' 18 St. Augustine's Parade
Brussels Belgium.—L.   H.   R.   Plummer 98    Bldv.   Adolphe-Max
Glasgow Scotland—W. Stewart 25   Bothwell  St.
Hamburg . . .Germany—T. H. Gardner , Gansemarkt3
Liverpool Eng.—R.   E. Swain Pier  Head
Y^n^n» it        /C. E. Jenkins.. 62-65 Charing Cross, S.W.I.
London Kn«- \G.   Saxon   Jones 103 Leadenhall St., EC 3
Manchester Eng.-—J. W. Maine 31 Mosley Street
Paris France—A. V. Clark 7   Rue Scribe
Rotterdam . . .Holland—J. Springe tt Coolsingel No.91
Southampton . . .Eng.—H. Taylor : 7 Canute Road
ASIA
Hongkong —T. R. Percy Opposite Blake Pier
Kobe —A. M. Parker 1 Bund
Manila —J. R. Shaw 14 Calle David
Nagasaki —Holme. Ringer & Co.
Shanghai —E. Stone 12 Bund
Shimonoseki (Moil)..—Wurui Shokwai.
Tokyo —G.   E.   Costello No.   1    Itchome.   Yuraku-Cho,
Kojimachi-Ku
Yokohama —G. E. Costello 1 Bund
AUSTRALIA,   NEW  ZEALAND,   ETC.
J. Sclater... Australian and New Zealand Representative, Union House, Sydney N.S.W.
Adelaide S.A.—Macdonald, Hamilton & Co.
Auckland N.Z.—Union S.S. Co. of New Zealand (Ltd.)
Brisbane ,Qd.—Macdonald, Hamilton & Co.
Dunedin N.Z.—Union S.S. Co. of New Zealand (Ltd.)
Frcmantle W.A.—Macdonald. Hamilton &C o.
Melbourne Vic.—Union S.S. Co. of New Zealand (Ltd.), Thos. Cook & Son.
Perth W.A.—Macdonald. Hamilton Si Co.
Suva Fiji—Union S.S. Co. of New Zealand (Ltd.)
Sydney N.S.W.—Union S.S. Co. of New Zealand (Ltd.)
Wellington N.Z.—Union S.S. Co. of New Zealand (Ltd.)
W. BALLANTYNE, E.  F. L.  STURDEE. H. G. DRING,
Steamship Acting European
General Passenger Agent. General Passenger Agent Passenger Manager
Montreal                                  Hongkong London
W. G- ANNABLE. WALTER MAUGHAN,
Asst. Steamship Passenger Manager Steamship Passenger Manager  ¥
Montreal Montreal  

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.chungtext.1-0354847/manifest

Comment

Related Items