The Chung Collection

Chung Logo

The Chung Collection

Ancient city of Quebec Canadian Pacific Railway Company 1906

Item Metadata

Download

Media
chungtext-1.0229111.pdf
Metadata
JSON: chungtext-1.0229111.json
JSON-LD: chungtext-1.0229111-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): chungtext-1.0229111-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: chungtext-1.0229111-rdf.json
Turtle: chungtext-1.0229111-turtle.txt
N-Triples: chungtext-1.0229111-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: chungtext-1.0229111-source.json
Full Text
chungtext-1.0229111-fulltext.txt
Citation
chungtext-1.0229111.ris

Full Text

Array  Empress of  Ireland
One of the new palatial steamships for the Canadian Pacific Railway Company's Atlantic Service on
the Montreal=Quebec=Liv2rpool Route, May, 1906. Length 570 ft., breadth 65 ft., displacement 20,000
tons, 18,000 horsepower, and will make the passage between Liverpool and Quebec in less than a week.
Accommodation for 300 1st cabin, 350 2nd cabin, 1,000 3rd class passengers.
THE FINEST AND FASTEST STEAMSHIPS IN THE CANADIAN TRADE 25-
THE ANCIENT CITY OF
QUEBEC
EIGHTEENTH     EDITION
PUBLISHED     BY     THE
Canadian    Pacific   Railway   Company
Copyright,  1894, by    the Chateau Frontenac Co*
i
E 06 Empress of Britain
One of the new palatial steamships for the Canadian Pacific Railway
Company's Atlantic Service on the Montreal-Quebec-Liverpool
Route, May, 1908.      Length 570 ftm, breadth 65 ft., dis-
placement 20,000   tons,   18,000   horsepower,
and will make the passage between Liverpool and Quebec in less than a week.
Accommodation for 300 1st cabin,
350 2nd cabin, 1,000 3rd class
passengers.
THE   FINEST   AND   FASTEST   STEAMSHIPS   IN    THE   CANADIAN    TRADE THE ANCIENT CITY
OF
QUEBEC
m
10 THE stranger within its gates Quebec wields a charm and a
spell. So near to the great centres of American life, yet it
belongs to other times, and has preserved that uniqueness
which makes it the most interesting city on this side of the
Atlantic. What constitutes the charm of the old capital of
Canada? Is it the story of the great struggle of nations for
supremacy, or the glamour of romance connected with the daring and dashing adventurers who came from the brilliant Court of France where La
Pompadour wielded so potent a sway? Certain it is, the charm is there;
the charm of dead centuries; the charm and flavor of imperishable deeds, and
the glory of immortal actions. But there is another subtle charm^and it is
the setting of the old fortress city. What a panorama on all sides! Where-
ever the eyes rests there is a picture , and such beauty of perspective, especially
in the broad sweep of the mighty St. Lawrence sea-ward, as
leaves a lasting impression. Yes, Quebec is quaint, and full of
years and honours, but she holds that within her old walls which
draws tourists from all quarters, who, going hence, are loud in
praise of the venerable city enthroned upon Cape Diamond.
It is while sitting on the splendid DufferinTerrace enjoying
the beautiful panorama spread out before us that we grow conscious of the fact that there is not a spot in all America
richer in historic treasure or more lavishly endowed by
Nature, in the beauty, grandeur, and splendour, of its
surroundings, than the quaint, old, walled city of
Quebec, which guarding the portal of the great inland
waters of the continent, has not inaptly been termed
the "Sentinel City of the St. Lawrence" Historically,
it stands pre-eminent. Here the germ of European
civilization was planted, in this new northern land and
the two greatest of old-world monarchies battled for
half a continent. Here mediaeval ideas of fortification
and defence may be seen; here the bold, fortress-
crowned, rock, and the majestic river, with the tribute
MONTCALM MONUMENT 4 QUEBEC
of the whole western world at its feet, show Nature in her most wonderful
mood.
It is of Quebec that Charles Dickens, writing of his visit sixty years ago,
said: "The impression made upon the visitor by this Gibraltar of America,
its giddy heights, its citadel suspended, as it were, in the air; its picturesque
steep streets and frowning gateways; and the splendid views which burst upon
the eye at every turn is at once unique and lasting.    It is a place not to be
DUFFERIN   TERRACE
forgotten." Henry Ward Beecher, too, was greatly impressed with the city,
for he wrote: "Curious old Quebec—of all cities on the continent of America—
the quaintest. It is a populated cliff. It is a mighty rock, scarped and
graded. * * * Here is a small bit of mediaeval Europe perched upon a rock,
and dried for keeping—a curiosity that has not its equal in its kind on this side
of the ocean. Strolling in Lower Town one might fancy himself in Amiens or
Dieppe, and along the Grande Allee, running right across the plains of Abraham QUEBEC
you might be in Brussels or Paris, only that Clifton Terrace seems to recall
Kensington. Travellers for whom Europe is too distant are advised to go to
Quebec, there to find a bit of the mediaeval Old World transplanted to the new,
but still embalmed in its ancient religious sentimentalism, upon which the rush
and roar of modern unrest produces as little effect-as the Atlantic breakers
upon the cliffs of Cape Breton," The wondrous beauty of the city's environments is thus described by another gifted writer: "The majestic appearance
of Cape Diamond and the fortifications, the cupolas and minarets, blazing and
sparkling in the sun, the noble basin, like a sheet of purest silver, in which
might ride, with safety, the navies of the world, the graceful meanderings of
the river St. Charles, the numerous village spires on either side of the St.
Lawrence, the fertile valley dotted with the picturesque habitant houses, the
distant falls of Montmorency, the park-like scenery of Point Levis, the
beauteous Isle of Orleans, the grim purple mountains, the barriers to the north,
form a picture which it is no exaggeration to say is unsurpassed in any part of
the world." A writer in "Outing" adds: "To me, and perhaps to all visitors,
Quebec is the  most   interesting city this   side   of   the  Atlantic.    Quaintly
picturesque, nine-tenths of
it, with only sufficient of
what is modern to sharpen
the contrast with what is
ancient, the city seems to
cling to her cliffs as lichens
cling to the rocks. And
over all is the atmosphere
of romance and chivalry,
for many a gallant blow
has been struck and
knightly deed performed
in and about this strange
and venerable city." .
The City of Quebec is
such a convenient resting
place between Montreal
and the several points of interest on the Lower St. Lawrence, and is of itself
so interesting, and so unlike other cities of the continent, that very few making
the tour of the St. Lawrence pass its memorable walls, without spending a
few days within them. They desire to see where Cartier, the Columbus of the
North, first landed; where Champlain founded the firstFrench colony; where
Wolfe fell, and Montcalm received his death wound; and where Montgomery,
the American general, was killed, while besieging the city on 31st December,
CHAMPLAIN   MONUMENT O QUEBEC
1775. The streets of Quebec are redolent of the religious and military history
of early Canada, and more historic memories linger about this ancient stronghold, than round any other city on the continent. Every spot, now dismissed
in a sentence, was the centre of events which seemed, to the actors of them,
to be fraught with far-reaching consequences, as indeed many of them were.
It is three hundred and seventy-one years, since Jacques Cartier anchored
off what was then the Indian village of Stadacona, and, of course, claimed
THE OLD CITY WALLS, QUEBEC.
the rest of it all, whatever it might prove to be, for the King of France. He
made no permanent settlement here, but in 1549, the Sieur de Robervalspen
one winter with a small colony he had brought out, and then retired. In 1608
Champlain arrived, and succeeded in establishing the French possession of the
country, and commenced to provide material for history. His romantic reign,
as practical King of the St. Lawrence, and the eventful times of his French
successors, have been so frequently, and so well, described by Parkman,
Kingsford,  Stewart, Le Moine,  Bourinot,  Chambers, and Harper that it  is QUEBEC
not neccessary to say any more of them here.    Quebec has seen more of war,
probably, than any other place on the continent.
The mere sight of the city recalls to memory, the long succession of
thrilling historical events, in which many nations were deeply interested. The
French, the English, the Americans, and the aboriginal Indians, have all
played their parts in the stirring drama, whose scenes were laid around the
fortress-crowned rock; and .the final struggle for Canada, between the French
and English, which closed on the heights of Abraham, saw the end of France
in the northern half of the continent, and commenced the regime which was
inevitably, destined to result in the self-governing liberty which Canada now
enjoys.
,.-■:■'    '
:m m ■■  ■■■■    ^-  ?     ■
■mmmA
THE CHATEAU FRONTENAC FROM LOWER TOWN, QUEBEC.
Quebec's Famous Hotel.
The Chateau Frontenac, the favourite resort of tourists, is a magnificent fire-proof hotel, operated by the Canadian, Pacific Railway Company
and stands at the eastern end of a splendid esplanade known as Dufferin
Terrace, just below the King's Bastion of the Citadel, commanding delightful
views of the St. Lawrence as far as the eye can reach, down past the Isle
d'Orleans, across to Levis and beyond, up stream toSillery, and, to the left, the
country along the beautiful valley of the St. Charles River. The grandeur
of the scenery is matchless in diversity and charming in effect. No finer site
for such a structure could be found on the continent, and it would not be easy 8
QUEBEC
to combine the advantages it possesses, in any other place. This elegant hotel,
on which over $1,000,000 has been judiciously expended, is erected on a historic spot of more than ordinary interest—the site of the old Chateau St. Louis,
so famous in Canadian history, and once the vice-regal residence of the Governors of Canada, both before and after the conquest. "A massive, shaply
edifice, is this grand hotel on Dufferin Terrace," writes the well-known authoress, Faith Fenton;" a veritable old-time chateau, whose curves and cupolas,
turrets and towers, even whose tones, of grey stone and dull brick, harmonize
well with the sober, quaint,
architecture of our dear,
old Fortress City. Chateau
Frontenac has been planned with a strong sense of
the fitness of things. In
exterior it blends with its
surroundings; it is part of
the wondrous picturesque-
ness. The interior, magnificent outlook and hotel luxury are so commingled that
neither seems to have been
sacrificed to the other.
The architect, Mr. Bruce
Price, must have had a cunning brain to have thus devised this quaintly shaped
hotel, and so mapped out
its interior that all the
offices and service rooms,
even the main entrance
hall, with its pillared gateway, look out upon the inner curve, leaving every bit
of the outer circle, that faces the magnificent stretch of river and sky
and far off hills, to be devoted to guest rooms. It was clever and
difficult planning ; it required an equally clever and difficult furnishing, for this splendid edifice possesses as many interior curves and corners as
outer ones. It is delightfully unexpected in its ways. Rooms that are bow-
shaped, crescent-shaped, circular; rooms that are acute-angled, obtuse-angled,
triagonal, sexagonal—everything except right-angled. And then the stairways—they are everywhere, and equally pretty and unique 'in effect.    Every
CORRIDOR IN THE CHATEAU FRONTENAC. QUEBEC
corner that one peeps into along these wide, curving corridors holds an inviting
little stairway—bright and soft, with rich carpeting and oak bannisters—
that tempts one to ascend or descend just to find where it leads. The broad
entrance hall and offices, the great rotunda and reading-room, have tessellated
floors, and are large, light, airy and finely furnished. The stairways and
bannisters are of oak—a wood that is much used throughout the building.
Ascending the main stairway, which leads by easy turns from the vestibule, we
come upon one of the most artistic effects in the building, for, standing in the
broad corridor, beautiful with its white panellings, oak floor, and Axminster,
we look between large, creamy, daintily-moulded pillars into the long drawing-
room, and beyond it into the ladies' pavilion. It is a wonderfully pretty and
artistic entrance that these white carven pillars afford. It brings a suggestion
of. the Renaissance and the white and gold days of Louis Quinze. The ladies'
drawing-room is delightful. It might be called the ladies' rotunda, for it
corresponds with that of the one below. It is perfectly round, of course, with
those fine square carven pillars forming the entrance way, and a central round
pillar supporting the graceful spray of lights.    Half of the circling wall is filled
: <*"',m.g*"':-m:
fM'mi'
p " ;a
rf^TK^'^M.
m^M
ONE OF THE  DRAWING
ROOMS,  CHATEAU
FRONTENAC. 10
QUEBEC
with windows that look out upon a scene than which none fairer exists. From
the gray Citadel, along and adown the river to Isle d'Orleans—with Lower
Town lying beneath the Terrace and all the landscape beauty across the rapid
river—truly it is a superb Eastern portal, a fit correspondent for Canada's
magnificent mountain guardians of the west."
In this grand hotel,
which has been enlarged
to meet the requirements
of growing travel, are
many suites, some
I of   them  contain
ing as many as
eight rooms and
of one the following description is
given: "Two
dainty   bedrooms
mmmmmmmmmm-
^^■Q-m^wim-A::rmrm:;:m".mm^r^m^m,
CALECHE,  QUEBEC
and two equally dainty bathrooms, lead from either end of a bow-shaped
boudoir, whose curve is one unbroken line of beautiful windows, creamy
panellings, tinted walls and ceiling, deep window seats—all these the room
possesses, but one sees them not; they are as nothing compared to the great
curve of radiance that shines and sparkles from this splendid bow of light.
The furniture is chiefly oak. The bedroom furnishings are much alike
throughout—handsome brass bedsteads, oak furniture, and cosy upholstering
in each room.
"It is one of the features of Chateau Frontenac that, from lowest to
topmost story, everything is of the best. It is equally a feature that the fourth,
fifth and sixth stories are more desirable than the lower ones, for the higher
one climbs the wider the panorama of river and sky that unrolls to one's view.
The dining hall is rich and in absolute harmony with the Louis Quinze
conception. It is a very large, square, airy
room, with windows looking out upon the
river.    The floor is of oak.    The wainscoting ^^MSkT
is of leather, studded with brass nails.    The g«
wall   above is freely  panelled   in   oak,  and s iH^H     H
decorated between with richly tinted tapes- * | f'Jf~j
tries, representing an  important event in the      ..js^tiitlt /'    **-'" '
history of the Roman Empire.    This warm,      '91
dull, tinted tapestry,   crowded with quaint
figures,  is  an  amusement and a delight to QUEBEC
11
the eye, and under the soft electric glow the result is absolutely satisfying
..... .A peep into the kitchen —a great, wide, cleanly place, made busy at
that moment with dinner preparations—is a revelation. One of the things a
woman notices first is the table furnishings. And these at Chateau Frontenac
have been chosen with perfect taste; from the simple silver-rimmed castor,
with its square-cut bottles, to the tiny fruit-spoon—everything harmonizes
in the most satisfying way,"
Another writer, Mr. E. T. D. Chambers, in his "Guide to Quebec," says:
"How home-like and comfortable are the rooms in the princely Chateau, and
how unexcelled anywhere are the cuisine and menus, have been testified to by
the Earl and Countess of Aberdeen and their suite, by the
Goulds, the Vanderbilts, the
Astors, and thousands of prominent tourists from all parts
of the world"; and Carrel's
Illustrated Guide of Quebec
states : "In this Chateau
Frontenac, Quebec possesses a
hostelry which for beauty of
site and luxuriousness of appointments cannot be surpassed
anywhere."'
Dufferin Terrace.
The pride and glory of Quebec is Dufferin Terrace, an unrivalled promenade and public
rendezvous. From it, or better,
from any of the windows in the
Chateau Frontenac, which
stands at its eastern limit and
SOUS  LE   CAP STREET,   QUEBEC ^   the   bage   of  the   Citadel>   ft
view, unsurpassed for beauty and grandeur, bursts upon the beholder.
Elevated 200 feet above the St. Lawrence, which here contracts its high
banks until but a mile separates them, the terrace is a point of vantage Irom
which to drink in the feast of scenic splendor which is spread out before one.
There is the mighty river—on whose waters float craft of every description,
from the huge ocean liner to the primitive canoe of the Indian; across the
water is Levis, on whose crowinng cliffs, rising higher even than those of
Quebec, are three immense forts erected by the British Government at a cost 12
QUEBEC
approaching $1,000,000; down the stream is the beautiful Isle d'Orleans—
the Isle of Bacchus of Jacques Cartier, and at a later time known as Sorcerer's
Island, for in the fire-fly lights that danced over its swamps the native Indians
and the early French settlers saw the work of His Satanic Majesty and his
uncanny followers. Farther away is Cap Tourmente, and along the shores,
are the quaint villages of the habitants and the narrow stripped farms
which excite the surprise and curiosity of the traveller. To the left the St.
Charles gracefully sweeps and blends its waters with the greater stream.
Forest and river and mountain and cultivated broad acres combine to make
gorgeous landscape, and in the rear tower the Laurentian Hills, whose
purpled crests lose themselves in the fleecy clouds. At one's feet are the
bustling Lower Town and the ships in port, and above is the frowning citadel,
whose hoary walls environ Quebec with a glamour of romance and renown.
The broad promenade is fully a quarter of a mile long, and erected on it
are five handsome kiosks, to which the names of a Plessis, Frontenac, Lome and
Louise, Dufferin, and Victoria, have been given, besides another for the use of
bands of music, which at times are those belonging to British and French
warships visiting.the port. At the further end a succession of small stairways
lead to another promenade along the cliff and around the base of the walls of the
Citadel to connect the Terrace with the
Cove Fields the extended promenade
having a total distance of nearly 4,000
ft On these fields, where the old
French earthworks still remain, are
the finest natural golf links in
America.
Every foot of land here is historic
ground; the very air breathes of deeds
of valour, and military prowess,
which even the peaceful aspect of the
present, or the hum and bustle of
every day business nearby, fails to
dispel. For here the Kings of old
France^sent their men and treasure
to build up a New France, on this
side of the Atlantic, where these gallant adventurers lived and plotted
and' fought, and wrested countless
leagues of land from the savages.
Looking   down   from    the    Terrace
BREAK NECK  STATRS,   QUEBEC QUEBEC
13
front, the narrow street bearing the name of the founder of Quebec,
is seen, and its long length followed, to the foot of the Citadel cliff, just
beyond which is the narrow pass where Montgomery fell, mortally
wounded, while heroically leading his men, in a rash and daring attack on the
city. Almost directly under the northern end of the Terrace, where the cliff
stands back farther from the river and the streets are huddled closer together,
is the historic Church of Notre Dame des Victoires. A little to the south is the
Champlain market hall, and very near its site the first building in Quebec,
which included a fort, a residence and stores, was erected in 1698 by the adventurous and chivalrous Champlain whose memory is perpetuated in a magnificent statue on the Terrace.  Here was the first clearing made; the next was
PARLIAMENT   BUILDINGS,   QUEBEC.
that upon a portion of which the Chateau Frontenac now stands, where Champlain erected the Chateau St. Louis, which played so prominent a part in
Canadian history; at a later era being the castle from which the French
Governors exercised undisputed sovereignty from the mouth of the Mississippi
to the great inland lakes of Canada, and along the shores of the St. Lawrence
and its Gulf. Its cellar still remains under the wooden covering of the present
Durham Terrace, immediately adjoining the Chateau Frontenac. In the rear
of the Chateau St. Louis was the area of the fort now covered by the Place
d'Armes and a part of the hotel, which was frequently attacked by the intrepid
and ferocious Iroquois, who having overthrown the outposts, more than once 14
QUEBEC
threatened the Fort itself. Just beyond are the high-peaked Commissariat
building of the Imperial Government, the Kent House where resided King
Edward's grandfather when commandant of the Imperial forces in Canada, the
head-quarters of Montcalm, and the place where the gallant soldier died; the
old building having been replaced by a modern structure now occupied as a
livery stable and numbered 45 and 47 St. Louis Street. Across the Place
d'Armes is the English Cathedral, constructed soon after theBritish occupation,
by the Royal Engineers.
The Citadel
The Citadel occupies the most commanding position in Quebec, overlooking the St. Lawrence and the country round, and having a clear range for
its guns in every direction.    It stands 303 feet above the river, and at one
THE   BASILICA,   QUEBEC
time was a formidable position, so much so, that Quebec has been sometimes
called the Gibraltar of America. Though still a fortress, its principal use is as
a barrack, and in it are kept large military stores. Access is gained to the
trenches by the Chain gate, and to the Citadel by the Dalhousie, named after
a former Governor The Citadel is about ten minutes' walk from the Chateau
Frontenac QUEBEC
15
The Governor's Garden
The Governor's Garden, is a public park a little in the rear of the Dufferin
Terrace, and between the Chateau Frontenac and the Citadel It is a pretty
little retreat, and in it is a dual-faced stone column to Wolfe and Montcalm,
erected in 1827 and 1828, in joint honor of the illustrious generals, to whom,
in the words of the inscription, "Valour gave a common death, history a common fame, and posterity a common monument."
Plains of Abraham
The Plains of Abraham is one of the chief points of interest. Here was
the battlefield where Wolfe fell, and Montcalm fought his last fight. The plain
is the tableland on the crest of the heights, on the north bank of the St. Lawrence River, which were thought to be too precipitous for an enemy to climb.
The heights were, however, quietly and successfully scaled, and on 13th September, 1759, the memorable battle was fought there, which decided the fate
of Canada. A tall marble shaft now stands to mark the spot where Wolfe fell,
mortally wounded, and bears the inscription: "Here died Wolfe victorious."
His illustrious rival, Montcalm, also wounded, retreated within the walls to
die there. On the plains, where some of the heaviest fighting occurred in the
famous battle, are three Martello towers, dating from 1805, which, while
formidably built, were weakly constructed towards the city, so that in case of
capture they might easily be destroyed. .The actual clash between the
two armies only lasted a dozen minutes—so short a time can decide a
nation's fate. The British line was
drawn up, not far from the new Franciscan Church, on the Grand Allee,
and the French were about forty yards
from them, between them and the
city. The field of the battle is a
short and pleasant walk, or drive,
from the hotel, a little beyond the St.
Louis [gate on the road to Spencer-
wood, the official residence of the
Lieut-Governor of the Province of
Quebec, and in olden days the home
st.   louis gate, Quebec of  the Governors-General of Canada.
A i short distance off, on the escarpment overhanging the St. Lawrence, is thejpath Lby which the British troops
scaled the cliffs on the night before the battle, and at the foot of the rocks is 16
QUEBEC
Wolfe's Cove, two miles above which is Sillery, a place of historical interest,
where Maisonneuve spent his first winter in Canada, and the scene of the horrible massacre of Christian Hurons and their missionaries, by savage Iroquois in  1665.
The   Ursuline   Convent.
The Ursuline Convent is directly connected with this important battle on
the Plains of Abraham, by reason of its containing the remains of Montcalm,
whose body is buried in the Convent, while his skull is kept in the chaplain's
parlor, to which visitors are freely admitted. This, the oldest convent in
Quebec, was founded in 1639, destroyed by fire in 1650, rebuilt, to meet a
similar fate in 1686; but the original foundations, and the walls, of the
second building, are still in the third structure. The convent is a group of
massive stone edifices, of irregular design, covernig an area of seven acres.
The interior halls and chambers are imposing. The chapel contains the
remains of Montcalm, and what are claimed to be the following relics: The
body of St. Clement, from the Catacombs of Rome; brought to the Ursulines
in 1687; the skull of one of the
companions of St. Ursula, 1675; the
skull of St. Justus, 1662; a piece of
the Holy Cross, 1657; a portion of
the Crown of Thorns, brought from
Paris in 1830 It is open to visitors, who may there see some rare
works of art, including paintings by
Vandyk, Ristoul and Champagny,
the property of the Sisters of the
Convent.
The Hotel  Dieu.
The Hotel Dieu, a convent and a
hospital, founded in 1639 by Duchess
D'Arguillon, a niece of Cardinal
Richelieu, is the most ancient institution of its kind in America, and has
recently been modernized. In this
historic structure are some famous
old pictures, amongst which are: The
Nativity, by Stella, the Virgin and
Child (Noel Coypol), Vision of Ste.
SHORT-WALLICK MONUMENT. QUEBEC
17
Theresa (Guel Monaght), the Descent from the Cross (copy by Pla-
mondon), etc. In the chapel of the convent is the skull of Jean de Bre-
bceuf, the great Jesuit missionary, of whose doings Parkman and Charlevoix
have given a most interesting and trustworthy account. The establishment is open to visitors, on application to the Lady Superior.
Literary Treasures.
The Libraries of Quebec are rich in literary treasures, and contain many
rare old books which are most interesting to the student of antiquarian lore.
The legislative Library in the Parliament Buildings, and that of Laval University, are the two most pretentious in the city. In the latter are over 100,000
valuable volumes. The Literary and Historical Society has also an invaluable
collection in the Morrin College, and the French Society, PInstitut Canadien,
has a fine Library in the city hall.    These are open to the public.
The Basilica and Cardinal's Palace
Facing the historic old market square, which dates back to 1686, where
in olden times stood the public pillory, is the Basilica, the mother church of
Roman Catholicism in North America.    Its erection was commenced in 1647.
and since its  definite opening in 1657, services have been        A
held  in  it  uninterruptedly,   except   during   the   period     m
required  for making repairs necessitated by the disastrous siege of that year.    The design of the chancel  is in
faithful imitation of that of St. Peter's at Rome.    On its
walls hangs a rich collection of paintings, many of them
priceless works of art, which were rescued from destruction during the Reign of   Terror  in   France,   when   the
mob pillaged churches and monasteries.    Amongst other
paintings is Vandyk's Christ on the Cross, Plamondon's
Ste. Anne, and the Tomb of the Saviour, Fleuret's Christ
submitting to the Soldiers, The Holy Family by Jacques
Blanchard,   The   Annunciation  by
Jean   Restout,   etc., etc.     Adjoining the Basilica  and Laval  is the
Cardinal's   Palace.     In   its   grand
salon   de   reception  are   the   Cardinal's throne, and rare gifts from
the Pope.
wolfe's monument Quebec 18 QUEBEC
Seminary and Laval University
The Seminary of Quebec was founded in 1663 by Laval, the first appointed
prelate of Canada. The buildings are valued at $1,000,000, and consist of
four large wings five stories high. The institution includes the Grand and
Petit Seminaries, the latter being especially interesting to Americans from the
fact that the officers under Montgomery and Arnold who were captured during
the siege of 1775 were incarcerated in it. The Grand Seminary, known as
Laval University, is the chief French-Canadian university, and the oldest in
Canada. Laval has an excellent museum and library, and many art treasures
in its keeping. In its gallery of paintings—a minature Vatican collection, are
two Salvator Rosas, three Teniers, a Rommeneli, a Joseph Vernet, a Puget,
two Vandyks, a Perocc Poussin, and many other masterpieces.
Chien d'Or
In the northern facade of the post-office is the gilt figure of a dog gnawing
a bone, about which exists a legend, which Kirby has woven into a charming
romance. Under the French regime there stood on the site now occupied by
the post-office, the house and shop of Philibert, a wealthy merchant, who
waged commercial war on the corrupt company of New France, nicknamed by
the farmers "La Fripone." The real head of this company was Intendant
Bigot, whose threats against Philibert resulted in the latter placing over his
door a sculptured tablet, with an inscription of which the following is a translation:
I am a dog gnawing a bone,
W^hile I gnaw I take my repose,
The time will come, though not yet,
. When I will bite him who would have bitten me.
Philibert was assassinated, and the prevailing impression was that it was
at the instigation of Bigot.
The   English   Cathedral
The English Cathedral was erected in the first years of the 19th century
by the British Government, and is interesting, not for its architectural beauty,
but for its historic association and for the splendor of its mural monuments,
chancel windows, and elaborate solid silver communion service,— the latter-
costing $10,000 and was a present from King George III.
Other   Interesting   Spots
There are many other buildings, in Quebec, interesting to a visitor who
is, or who desires to be en rapport with the early history of Canada, and there
are modern edifices, such as the City Hall (on the site of the old College of the- QUEBEC 19
Jesuits, erected in 1637, which after the estates of that Order were escheated
by the Crown, was occupied by the British troops, and was known as the
Jesuits' Barracks), the Legislative buildings on the Grande Allee, in the
fashionable residential quarter the custom house, Y. M. C. A. building, court
house, armory and drill hall, etc., and modern public works, such as the
immense tidal basins, which can hardly fail to attract attention. Sauntering
about the city, the American tourist will constantly meet with curious and unaccustomed architectural sights. The Grand Battery on the very edge of the
cliff overlooking the river, mounted with guns and mortars of obsolete pattern,
is a favorite resting place, from which splendid views of the river and surrounding country are obtained. At its southern extremity, overlooking the Chateau
Frontenac, formerly stood the Canadian Parliament buildings, which were
twice destroyed by fire. The "Break Neck Steps" leading from Mountain Hill
to Little Champlain Street (once a leading thoroughfare), although demolished
and replaced by a modern structure, will yet strike the visitor as well deserving
their name, and in that portion of the city called "Sous le Cap," he will see a
great contrast to corresponding portions of any American city he is acquainted
with.
The City's Gates and Walls
The gates which pierce the fortifications are comparatively modern
-structures—Kent and St. Louis—the former being named after the Duke of
Kent, grandfather to King Edward, who in 1791-4 was commander of the
British forces in Canada. St. John's, rebuilt in 1867, was demolished in the
summer of 1897 to give right of way to the invading electric car. The last
vestige of the original portals—St. Louis, Palace and St. John—disappeared
in 1871, and the structures with which they are replaced, with Hope (1786)
and Prescott (1815) gates, built by the British since the Conquest have,
within recent years met a similar fate, with the exception of St. Louis, which
was erected in 1879.
The walls of the city, which afford a pleasant promenade, can be reached
by stone steps at either St. Louis or Kent gates or along the glacis at the
Esplanade. An expanse of tree-fringed verdure extends from St. Louis gate
to the site of St. John's gate. The walk on the walls can be extended, in one
direction to the Citadel, and in the other to where the St. John's gate once
stood.
Church  of  Notre  Dame  Des Victoires
This historic little edifice is one of the interesting sights of the Lower
Town, having been partially destroyed by the fire of the Levis batteries during
Wolfe's siege of Quebec in 1759, and subsequently rebuilt on its old walls. The
fete of Notre Dame de la Victoire was established in sacred commemoration 20 QUEBEC
of defeat of the British invaders under General Phipps in 1690, to be annually
celebrated in the church on October 7th, and after the shipwreck of the second
British invading fleet, fourteen years later. This the French inhabitants regarded as a miraculous interposition of Providence in their favor, the edifice
was given the name it bears.
Historic   Ruins
Over in the valley of the St. Charles, the gaunt ruins of the famed Chateau
Bigot still remain. The lodge in which perished by poison at the instigation of
her fair rival, young Caroline de St. Castin, the beautiful mistress of the
profligate Intendant, still stands in the midst of the forest labyrinth; but the
ruins give only a faint conception of the original building. The girl was the
daughter of a gentleman of Acadia, and had been induced by Bigot's fair
promises to fly from her home only to be held a prisoner in the Chateau until
her tragic death. Another of Bigot's palaces stood within a stone's throw of
the Canadian Pacific.Railway station, its solid foundation wall being utilized
by a brewing company, in the erection of one of its offices.
From Levis, a magnificent view of Quebec and its surroundings can be
obtained. The military forts, on the heights above, from which, during the
summer of 1759, the cannon of the English bombarded the city with shot
and shell, until the whole of the Lower Town was a confused mass of ruins,
are worth visiting, and so is the Engineer's Camp at St. Joseph de Levis—
magnificently wooded meadows, once the camping ground of the Royal
Engineers, whose name it has continued to bear. An electric railway meets
all boats at the ferry, and then proceeds east along the river bank to Fraser
Street, where it begins to climb to the top of the cliff; here it turns, and runs
back towards the ferry on the higher level. The view from this point is one
of the finest imaginable, for it is possible to see both up and down the river
from one place. Across the river are seen the villages of Beauport and Montmorency, the beautiful church of the former lifting its twin spires
against the purple mountains; to the right the heavily wooded end of the
Island of Orleans; while to the left, the Chateau Frontenac and the massive
stone fortress are outlined against the sky.
Passing the Hotel de Ville and Levis church, in the upper town, the cars
run through the principal business street as far as the market, where they turn
to come back again. From the corner of Commercial and Fraser streets,
St. Joseph village may be reached, where are the interesting government dry dock, and a magnificent view across the river of the famous
Falls of Montmorency. On the way two very old and quaint wayside chapels
are passed.
The cars also run along the bank to St. Romuald, crossing the Soie and QUEBEC
21
Etchemin rivers and having a constant succession of beautiful views of Quebec
and Sillery. St. Romuald church is particularly handsome and has some magnificent frescoes. From the end of the street car track, carriages should be
taken for the Falls of the Chaudiere,three miles further on, which are exceedingly picturesque. The return to Quebec may be made by steamer from St.
Romuald, the trip giving visitors an admirable idea of the difficulties which
Wolfe and Montgomery had to face.
Another interesting excursion to be made at Levis is round the three
modern forts, built on the heights behind the town. The most easterly, constructed by the Royal Engineers, commands the approaches up the river,
while the others, built by the Dominion Government, have an unsurpassed
view for forty miles to the south over
a natural glacis.
Isle  D'Orleans.
A sail down the river to this beautiful island, where a number of wealthy
Quebecers have summer residences, is
one of the attractions which should not
be missed, and an afternoon can be
pleasantly spent, by taking steamer
immediately after luncheon, and returning to the Chateau Frontenac in
time for dinner.
The Falls of Montmorency.
These are situated about seven miles
below Quebec. The drive to them, a
favorite trip with all visitors—is
through an almost continuous succession of French Canadian farms and
cottages. On the road is Beauport, a
place bombarded by Wolfe, and now
containing one of the principal Canadian hospitals for the insane. The
Falls of Montmorency are over 100
feet higher than those of Niagara, and
in former years a large cone of ice,
which was frequently utilized by plea-
FALLS   OF   MONTMORENCY 22
QUEBEC
sure parties from Quebec and other parts of Canada, as a toboggan slide,
usually formed at the foot. At the head of the Falls is Kent House, the
residence while in Quebec of the Duke of Kent, grandfather of King
Edward VII. There are also to be seen the Zoological Gardens, owned
by Holt, Renfrew &. Co., Quebec, which were opened a short time ago.
Within the last year or two they have been considerably enlarged and can
now be looked upon as containing one of the best collections of Canadian
live animals to be seen anywhere. The latest addition to the latter is the
Beaver Colony where the animals are given every opportunity to enjoy their
freedom in an enclosed valley with a pretty brook running through it. At
Montmorency may be seen a succession of rocky ledges which seem to
have been cut out of the solid rock ages ago and forming natural steps,
about a mile above the Falls, where the river dashes wildly through a deep
canon, and constitute the grandest features of Montmorency. The tourist
may also go to Montmorency by the Quebec Electric Railway-
The Quebec Golf Club.
What will be of especial interest to tourists is the knowledge that in connection with the Chateau Frontenac is the Quebec Golf Club Links. The
most interesting feature of these splendid links is the fact that they form part
of the original battle field of the Plains of Abraham. From a golfing point of
view, pure and simple, they absorb one's attention, because the topography
being of such a varied nature, renders them eminently fitted for enjoyment
of the sport, almost  every species of hazard being present  at one point  or QUEBEC
23
other of the course. Scenery we admit, has few charms for the golfer, but
any one who has traversed this historic ground connot fail to be impressed
with the remarkable view.
The ruins of Montcalm's old fortifications form some of the hazards, the
old masonry is still visible in various places. The second green being inside
one of the forts of 200 years ago. The Quebec and Montreal links may be
called the pioneers of the Royal and Ancient game on this continent, these
clubs being founded in 1874 and 1875 respectively, though records prove the
game was played by individuals some years previous.
Guests of the Chateau Frontenac have only to apply at the office for
permission to play over these links on payment of a small fee.
La Bonne Ste. Anne
The shrine of Ste. Anne de Beaupre, for over 250 years the rendezvous of
devout pilgrims seeking restoration of health, is twenty-one miles from Quebec,
and is reached by the Quebec Electric Railway, which closely follows the bank
of the St. Lawrence, or by steamer in summer.   Tradition relates that in the early
FAMOUS CHURCH OF STE. ANNE DE BEAUPRE.
part of the seventeenth century some Breton mariners, who were overtaken
by a violent storm while navigating the St. Lawrence, solemnly vowed to Ste.
Anne that, if delivered from the dangers which encompassed them, they would
erect a sanctuary in her honor on the spot on which they should land. Their
prayers being heard, they built a small wooden chapel in fulfilment of their
vows, which has since become famous. The primitive little church was replaced by a larger structure in 1660, which was subsequently enlarged; then,
after about a century's existence, it was almost entirely rebuilt in 1787, and
again in 1878, and converted into a chapel—still occupying its orginal site* 24 QUEBEC
near the "sacred spring," whose waters have, it is claimed, miraculous properties. Across the street, in wTide contrast to this unpretentious building, is the
magnificent edifice which although opened for public worship in 1876, and raised
to the dignity of a Basilica by Pope Pius IX. ten years later, was not entirely
completed until 1889. It is a fine specimen of Corinthian architecture, and is
of immense proportions. A colossal statue of Ste.Anne, of marvellous beauty,
surmounts the facade between twin towers rising to a great height. The interior of the sacred edifice rivals the most famous cathedrals in the world in
beauty and imposing grandeur, the magnificent paintings and statuary representing different scenes in the life of Christ. On eacn side of the entrance
are large pyramids of crutches and canes and trusses and splints left by former
owners as mute testimony to the efficacy of the saint's intervention on their
behalf. Near the altar is another statue of Ste. Anne, resting on a column of
onyx; and in the sanctuary a fragment of a finger-bone of the saint procured
by Laval, the first Bishop of New France:, a part of the saint's wrist, sent by
Leo XIII ; and a portion of the rock from the grotto in which Ste. Anne gave
birth to the Virgin Mary, besides many valuable gifts from distinguished personages, amongst which is a superb chasuble, the work and gift of Anne of
Austria, Queen of France and mother of Louis XIV. The Scala Santa, "holy
stair," which the zealous suppliants ascend upon their knees, is built in imitation of Pilate's Palace at Jerusalem, each step containing relics of the Holy
Land. Over half a million tourists annually visit this fragment of the old time
Palestine, impelled by the religious ceremonies witnessed there and the costly
works of art possessed by the sanctuary; and the high esteem in which the
patron saint is held is shown by the remarkable increase in the perennial pil
grimages to her shrine. Formerly the pilgrimages were from the Province
of Quebec only; but now they are from the other provinces of Canada, and
from the United States, Europe, and, in fact, from all quarters of the globe.
Accommodation is provided for visitors on a large scale. Six miles away are
the beautiful falls of Ste. Anne, and beyond them again are the Seven Falls.
Cap Tourmente and Grosse Isle can be seen from Ste. Anne de Beaupre
Lorette.
Lorette is another place to which visitors are fond of driving. It is an
Indian village on the St. Charles River, about nine miles from Quebec, and
there are some beautiful falls in the immediate neighborhood, differing widely
from the cataract of Montmorency, but equally striking in their beauty. Here
will be found the remnant of the once powerful Hurons, who, after the treacherous massacre of their tribe by the Iroquois, sought refuge near Quebec, and,
adopting the religion and language of the early French settlers, allied them- QUEBEC 25
selves with them, in resisting the incursions of the common enemy. The
village was first settled in 1697. The Lorette Chapel, nearly 200 years old,
is of the same model and dimensions as that of the Santa Casa, from which
the image of the Virgin, a copy of that in the famous sanctuary, was sent to
the Indians.
In every direction around Quebec the country affords charming drives,
and at the French-Canadian villages, which occur with more or less frequency,
a stranger will be able to compare the peculiarities of life amongst a people
who, more than any other in America, have preserved the traditions of their
ancestors, with the essentially modern customs and lines of thought which
characterize the rural settlements of other parts of the continent.
Lake St John.
One hundred and ninety miles from Quebec, via the Quebec and Lake
St. John Railway, through a country whose wild grandeur has earned for it the
title of the "Canadian Adirondacks," is the great inland sea—Lake St. John.
It is a favorite resort for health and pleasure-seekers; Roberval, on the lake,
having magnificent hotels. The fishing is excellent. Tourists, in summer, are
offered an enjoyable round trip from Quebec to Lake St. John and thence to Chi-
coutimi by rail, and down the famed Saguenay, whose scenery is awe-inspiring, and back to Quebec by steamer, or the route of travel may be reversed.
Down the Gulf.
A pleasant trip down the river and Gulf of St. Lawrence is afforded the
visitor to Quebec. Passing Cap Tourmente and Grosse Isle, the quarantine
station for Quebec, and indeed for the entire St. Lawrence trade, many
islands of remarkable scenic beauty dot the river. Murray Bay, Riviere
du Loup, Cacouna and Tadousac, at the mouth of the Saguenay, are
fashionable watering resorts, with good hotel accommodation and excellent bathing facilities. The trip can be extended down the Gulf to
Prince Edward Island and to St. John's, Newfoundland, Halifax, N.S.,
and to New York, Boston and  other American ports.
Quebec in Winter.
While Quebec is pre-eminently a charming summer resort and a city of
unusual interest at all times, it offers to many, perhaps, its chief attractions
during the winter months in its "pure array of regal ermine, when the drifted
snow envelops nature." It is then that the native population gives itself up
very largely to those forms of social and physical enjoyment which are
characteristic of its picturesque life and environment.    Then, too, the atmos- 26
QUEBEC
phere is at its purest and best and defies the existence of insommia, malaria
and all diseases of the respiratory organs. Instead of the enervating climate
of the South, that makes exertion of every kind a burden, physical exercise
in Quebec, during the season of frost and snow, is a positive pleasure. The
more one walks, or skates, or drives, or tramps on skis, or snow-shoes, the more
temptation there is to repeat the experience. The bracing air of the Canadian
winter is the very elixir of life, ennui and enervation giving way to exhilaration
and health. The lungs expand to the enormous inhalations of oxygen, and
the purified and brightened blood courses freer and more invigoratingly through
the veins. Clad in raiment befitting the climate, with ad libitum accompaniments of the beautiful furs that are here so fashionable and so comparatively
inexpensive, discomfort is absolutely unknown, and luxury and exhilaration
are the order of the day. The blood tingles with a vigorous sense of pleasure
and delight, unknown in lower latitudes, that inspires a desire for active participation in out-of-door exercise, and the prevailing sports and pastimes of
the people. These are at the same time picturesque, attractive and rational.
Strangers who desire to participate therein are warmly welcomed by the different
winter clubs, and quickly initiated into the various forms of local sport.
Skating, on the different rinks, is continuously in progress here during the
winter months. There are both indoor and outdoor rinks, to which guest
tickets of admission may be had by non-residents for the asking, and the
fancy skating daily witnessed here is alone well worth a long journey to see.
The most exciting winter game of Quebec is hockey, which, with the
possible exception of polo, is the fastest known to lovers of athletic sport.
There are often two or three matches a week here. Quebec has two curling
rinks and many lovers and excellent players of the ' roarin' game.' Tobogganing down the hills of the Cove Fields that form part of the historic Plains of
Abraham, or at Montmorency Falls, is a favorite amusement with Quebecers,
and a thrilling experience for visitors. Sleighing is also a very fashionable
amusement and the roads round about the city are kept in excellent condition.
In the streets hundreds  of carioles, queer little sleds peculiar to this quaint
old place, dash along, their jing-
ing bells filling the air with
silvery music. The various snow-
shoe clubs contribute largely to
the social life and enjoyment in
the winter season. The long
night tramps to their country
rendezvous, are often headed by
a bugle band, and they present
a   highly   picturesque    appear-
LADIES'   CURLING  CLUB, QUEBEC QUEBEC 27
ance, tramping, in Indian file over the snow, clad in their multi-colored blanket
suits, and bearing torches Skiing is also a fashionable source of amusement,
and is yearly growing in popular favor. During January and February good
sport is obtainable in fishing for tommycods through the ice of the St. Charles
River, where cabanesor huts, comfortably heated, are erected for the purpose,
The healthfulness of the winter climate is one of the attractive features
of Quebec. Dr, Grondin, Professor of the University of Laval, and one of the
leading physicians of the Province, establishes this in a letter to an enquirer
from the United States.    The Doctor writes;
"Dear Sir,—In compliance with your desire to know my opinion on the
influence that our Canadian winters have on health in general and more especially on certain diseases, I do not hesitate to declare that Quebec in particular,
owning to its altitude, has a pure and remarkable atmosphere, a dry and regular cold, which agrees admirably with those predisposed to consumption.
"Foreign doctors at times send, and rightly so, some of their patients
suffering from pulmonary complaints to a cold climate, where the temperature
varies but little, and I have asked myself, why do not the American doctors
send their subjects here where the good climate, and the exceptional beauty
of the place, would readily bring about good and beneficial results
CAPE TRINITY, NEAR QUEBEC HOW TO GO TO QUEBEC
Quebec is easily reached from all directions. From Montreal, which may
be regarded as the starting point for the Lower St. Lawrence, there is a choice
of routes by rail and river. By the Canadian Pacific Railway (from Place
Viger passenger station) it is about four-and a half hours' run along the bank
of the St. Lawrence river, through the old French settlements that in many
places, are almost as primitive, as in the days of Champlain and Frontenac.
The railway runs directly under the walls of the old fortifications, and yet into
the city, which has largely outgrown the area enclosed within the defences.
The Grand Trunk and the Intercolonial Railways, on the other side of the St.
Lawrence, run to Levis directly opposite Quebec, the river being crossed by
steam ferry. During the season of navigation, the steamers of the Richelieu &
Ontario Navigation Co. ply between Montreal and Quebec. Tourists from the
New England States, who do not wish to visit Montreal, can reach the ancient
Capital by way of Sherbrooke-thence via the Quebec Central or Grand
Trunk Railways, or by Dudswell Junction, and thence by Quebec Central to
Levis. Those from the Maritime Provinces reach Levis, either by the Canadian
Pacific Short Line to Megantic, and thence by the Quebec Central, or by the
Intercolonial Railway; and, in summer, the Canadian Pacific Steamships,
from Liverpool and European ports, make Quebec their Canadian port. MONTREAL
THE  COMMERCIAL   METROPOLIS.
The majority of visitors to Quebec do not fail to make a trip to the commercial metropolis of Canada, Montreal, the largest city in Canada, and second
only to Quebec in historic interest. It is picturesquely situated on an island
in the St. Lawrence River at the head of ocean navigation, and yet over
600 miles inland, and is the commercial metropolis and railway centre of the
Dominion.    Montreal ranks amongst the most beautiful cities of the con-
WINDSOR   STREET  STATION,   MONTREAL.
tinent, and has very many attractive and historic spots which cannot fail to
interest and delight sightseers. It distinctively presents all the aspects and
elements of metropolitan life, with evidences of material wealth and prosperity on every hand. Pre-eminently a city of churches, surpassing Brooklyn itself in this respect, in the midst of the bustle of the city's commerce
are gray sanctuaries and stately cathedrals which rival the grandest edifices of
Europe in splendor and historic interest. The cathedral of St. James, modelled
after St. Peter's at Rome, the old church of Notre Dame with its famous bell 30
QUEBEC
which is classed amongst the largest in the world, the Jesuit Church and College, Notre Dame de Lourdes, Bonsecours Church,dating from 1659, the English
Cathedral, St, James (Methodist), and Erskine, St. Paul's and St. Andrew's
(Presbyterian) are worth seeing. Mount Royal, from which the city takes its
name, affords a delightful drive (or it can be ascended by incline railway), and
from its summit is seen the grandest panorama of the picturesque valley of
the St. Lawrence that is obtainable. Beyond the Belceil peaks eastward the
Green Mountains of Vermont can be distinguished on clear days; to the south
are the Adirondacks; and along the north runs the Laurentian range, oldest
MONTREAL,   FROM  MOUNT   ROYAL
of the world's mountains. Other points of interest are the Victoria Bridge,
spanning the St. Lawrence, McGill University, Royal Victoria College for
Women, Windsor Station and offices of the Canadian Pacific Railway Co.,
Nelson Monument, Champ de Mars (the military parade ground of the early
days), the Maisonneuve Monument on Place d'Armes. the immense C.P.R.
Angus shops at the east end, Dominion Square, Royal Victoria Hospital, Place
d'Armes, Chateau de Ramezay, Bonsecours Market on market days, the Place
Viger Hotel and passenger station of the Canadian Pacific Railway, a magnificent modern structure recently erected opposite Place Viger, from which QUEBEC
31
trains leave for and arrive from Quebec, and which is also convenient to the
docks of the lake and ocean steamers. A run down the Lachine Rapids is an enjoyable experience and a visit to the curious old Indian village of Caughnawaga,
opposite Lachine, the home of the remnant of a once powerful nation,
St. Helen's Island, BackJliver, Bout de ITsle, Isle Gros Bois, Westmount. the
fashionable suburb, or any of the numerous city parks and public buildings
is worth making. Montreal has an admirable electric street car system, and
its cab service is noted for its excellence and cheapness.
OTTAWA, THE CAPITAL OF CANADA
Visitors to Quebec, via Montreal, can easily reach Ottawa, the Capital of
the Dominion, by the Canadian Pacific or other railways, or by river in summer,
the railway run being three hours from the commercial metropolis by the C.P.R.
PARLIAMENT  BUILDINGS,   OTTAWA
short line, which runs up the Ontario bank of the Ottawa river. The site of
Ottawa for picturesque grandeur, it has been stated, is only second to that
of Quebec. It is located on the Ottawa river, where the Rideau and Gatineau
join, and where the waters^of the first named hurl themselves over the Chaud-
iere Falls into a seething cauldron below.    But it is the national buildings 32
QUEBEC
which are the chief pride of Ottawa, and the principal objects of interest to
tourists. They stand out boldly on Parliament Hill, overlooking the Ottawa,
in all the beauty of seemingly varied architecture. They were erected at a cost
of about $5,000,000, the corner stone being laid in 1860 by the Prince of Wales
now King Edward VII. The octagonal shaped library in the rear of the
Houses of Parliament is one of the most complete in the world, and contains
300,000 volumes, some of which are exceedingly rare. Other objects of interest
are Rideau Hall, the home of the Governor-Greneral of Canada, Rideau Canal,
connecting the Ottawa with Lake Ontario at Kingston, built in 1827, for
military purposes, the Fisheries Exhibit, National Art Gallery, Geological
Museum, the Lovers' Walk, Central Experimental Farm, Rockliffe and Major
Hill Parks, the city buildings, extensive saw-mills, and the timber slides by
which the square timber from the Upper Ottawa passes down without damage
into the navigable waters below. To go down these slides, as many visitors
do, is an exciting and exhilarating experience. Opposite Ottawa is the French
city of Hull, and combined they have a population of about 90,000.
There are many pleasant resorts near Ottawa, and the Gatineau Valley,
reached by rail, is a delightful summering place for the pleasure and health
seeker, the angler and the sportsman in quest of large and small game. Publications
Issued by the
CANADIAN
PACIFIC
RAILWAY
COMPANY
" THE HIGHWAY TO THE ORIENT "
" SUMMER TOURS "
" QUEBEC »
" FISHING AND SHOOTING "
" OPEN SEASONS, FOR FISH AND GAME »
" MONTREAL "
" ST. ANDREWS-BY-THE-SEA "
" CLIMATES OF CANADA "
'* WESTWARD TO THE FAR EAST "
" ANNOTATED TIME TABLES "
" THE CHALLENGE OF THE MOUNTAINS "
" THE GLACIERS "
" AROUND THE WORLD "
" HAND-BOOK AND TIME-TABLE "
"ACROSS CANADA TO AUSTRALASIA"
4 COMPARTMENT CAR " and " TOURIST CAR"
NEARLY all these publications are handsomely illustrated, and all contain much useful
information in interesting shape. " The Annotated Time-Table " will be found a valuable companion for all transcontinental travellers. Other pamphlets descriptive of
the Dominion—*' Western Canada," "British Columbia"—are also issued by the Company.
Copies may be obtained FREE from Agents of the Company, or will be mailed to any address
on application to undersigned. The Company has also published a new map, on the polar
projection, showing the whole cf the northern hemisphere, and the Canadian Pacific
Railway's Around the World Route, in a novel and interesting way, and another of Canada
and the noithern half of the United States, showing the entire system of the Company in
detail. These maps will be given away for public and prominent display. Another useful
map is the " Sportsmen's Map of Canada," showing the regions for the different large and
small and feathered game and the principal fishing waters.
C. B. FOSTER,
District Passenger Agent,
71 Yonge St., Toronto.
H. J. COLVIN,
District Passenger Agent,
362 Washington Street, Boston.
F. R. PERRY,
District Passenger Agent,
St. John, N.B.
A. C. SHAW,
General Agent, Passenger Dept.,
232 South Clark St., Chicago, 111.
E. J. COYLE,
Assistant General Passenger Agent,
Vancouver, B.C.
E. V. SKINNER,
Assistant Traffic Manager,
458 Broadway, N.Y.
W. R. CALLAWAY,
General Passenger Agent Soo Line
Minneapolis.
L. M. HARMSEN,
City Ticket Agent,
Soo Line, St. Paul, Minn.
C. E. E. USSHER,
Genl. Passr. Agent, Eastern Lines,
Montreal.
ALLAN CAMERON,
General Traffic Agent,
62-65 Charing Cross, S.W., and 67-68
King William St., E. C, London, Eng. •
24 James St., Liverpool; 67 St. Vincent St., Glasgow.
F. W. HUNTINGTON,
General Agent, Passenger Dept.,
629-631 Chestnut St., Philadelphia.
A. W. ROBSON,
Passenger & Ticket Agent,
127 E. Baltimore St., Baltimore.
Wm. LINSON,
City Passengr Agent,
Bond Bldg., 14th St. & New York Ave.
Washington, D.C.
M. M. STERN,
District Passenger Agent,
Palace Hotel Bldg., 627 Market St.,
San Francisco.
M. ADSON,
General Passenger Agent,
D., S. S. & A. Ry.,
Duluth, Minn.
D. E. BROWN,
General Agent, China Japan, etc.,
Hong Kong.
c. e. Mcpherson,
Genl. Passr. Agent, Western Lines,
Winnipeg.
ROBERT KERR, Passenger Traffic Manager,
MONTREAL. x^r

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
http://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.chungtext.1-0229111/manifest

Comment

Related Items