||Black ink on white paper. A border consisting of a thick black line with thinner black lines surrounds the bookplate. At the top of the bookplate, there is a circular decoration with a black border. Inside the border is a plain section with rounded edges on the outer rim. Inside that section is a thick black circle with text printed in capitalized, sans serif white font. A thin white border separates the thick black section from an image of a black and white globe with cross sections. In the middle of the globe, a circle shows two hands with black sleeves shaking. Above the hands is a sun with beams. Below the hands, letters are printed in capitalized, sans serif block letters with a black border. Underneath the circular design, font is printed in capitalized, serif, black, font. On the next line is a dotted line. Below the dotted line is the same font in a smaller size followed by another dotted line. The same font, but larger, is printed on the next line. In the next line the font is smaller and then larger and smaller again in the subsequent two lines. Below these lines, text is printed in bold, black, small sans serif font. Underneath this line, text is printed in small, sentence case, black, serif font and is followed by a dotted line; Textual; Presentation.
||Handwritten notes on verso: “W. Bourdeu / [S?] James United / March 1930”
The Montreal and District Brotherhood Federation, part of the World Brotherhood Federation, was founded in 1896 by T.B. Macaulay. Macaulay was inspired to create an organization that would reach men traditionally not interested in the church after seeing similar groups in the United Kingdom. The concept was to create informal weekly religious meetings that were governed in a democratic, popular manner. He began with the Cavalry branch and as many branches emerged across Montreal, the Montreal and District Brotherhood Federation formed.
The Brotherhood was quite active, taking on a range of activities. The Verdun branch erected its own hall. The Brotherhood published a magazine, the Messenger, which informed members of the Federation’s work. Its committees included: editorial, moral and social, executive, welcome, and recreation. The Brotherhood also had an orchestra that performed at various events. The Brotherhood held annual conferences, subjects of which included “Promotion of Christian Brotherhood in the social, political and industrial life” and leadership.
Dr. Thomas Bassett Macaulay was born in 1860. Following in the footsteps of his father, he worked for the Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, of which he eventually became President. Under his leadership, the company became the first one in the world to remove policy restrictions on travel, occupation, residence, and suicide. Sun Life also expanded internationally while Macaulay was President. In recognition of his work, Macaulay was inducted into the Insurance Hall of Fame.
Macaulay was a member of several organizations. He was a Fellow of the Institute of the Actuaries of Great Britain, a charter member of the Actuarial Society of America, and he represented the actuaries of Canada and the United States at the International Congress at Paris and Berlin in 1900 and 1906 respectively. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society, President of the Canadian Life Assurance Officers’ Association. Outside of the actuarial world, he was President of the Canadian West Indian League and was an honorary president of the Naval League of Canada. He became the Chairman of the National Committee on Food Resources. In 1917 he was the governor of the Montreal General Hospital and the Fraser Institute Public Library.
Macaulay had several philanthropic activities. In 1892, with several Bible study friends, Macaulay founded the Welcome Hall Mission. He also organized summer camps for boys in Montreal. In addition, Macaulay contributed to his father’s Scottish town Fraserburgh, for which he set up a fund, contributed to the Memorial Hall, and founded bursaries for pupils of Fraserburgh Academy. He also supported breeding research at Edinburgh University. For the island of Lewis, he funded the public library, created a new hospital wing, and established the Macaulay experimental farm.
Macaulay was also a passionate hobby farmer. He established the Mount Victoria Farm in Hudson Heights. He worked on maize and soya bean strains for Canadian climates and bred Shetland ponies. He is most famous for his central role in breeding Holstein cattle. In 1930, Macaulay established the Macaulay Institute for Soil Research on a 30-acre estate in Aberdeen’s Craigebuckler. Abderdeen University gave Macaulay an honorary degree and named him first Freeman of the burgh.
T.B. Macaulay died in 1942.