||Black ink on cream paper with shiny surface. The crest features an armoured arm clutching a sword extending from a crest-wreath. Below is an esquires helm, from which extends mantling on either side. The mantling is light on top and darkens to black at the bottom. The shield is has a chevron with thin, horizontal, black lines. Above the chevron, the shield is charged with two crescent moons with the points facing upwards. Below the chevron, the shield is charged with the same arm from the crest, in this case tilted 90 degrees so that the arm is horizontal. While the crest arm holds a straight sword, the shield arm is holding a sword with a curved blade. Below the shield, the motto is printed in capitalized, black, block serif font on a curling ribbon. Underneath the motto, the bookplate owner’s name is printed in larger, black, sentence case cursive font. A second line features the date printed in smaller, thin, stylized black font; Heraldic; Ownership.
||Jack was a respected historian, author, editor, publisher, and politician. He was born on May 5, 1864 in Saint John, New Brunswick to Henry Jack and Annie Carmichael Johnston. He did not marry and died on December 2, 1913 in Clifton Springs, New York.
His interest in history is tied to his ancestors. His maternal grandmother, Harriet Maria Millidge Johnston, was the daughter of planters and loyalists at Saint John. His father’s family descended from loyalists who settled in St Andrews.
Jack graduated from Saint John Grammar School in 1881. He published Centennial prize essay on the history of the city and county of St. John in 1883.
When Jack’s father died in 1884 he had to take over his insurance business. Additionally, he took on his father’s role as Spanish vice-consul.
In the 1890s, Jack was a member of the Common Council in Saint John. He advocated for both preservation and progress; he wanted to promote the heritage of Saint John and helped achieve electrical street lighting. Jack also sat on the Board of School Trustees for seven years.
Jack took on several other roles in Saint John, including sitting a committee to help prepare for the royal visit in 1901. In 1904, Jack was involved with the tercentenary of Samuel de Champlain and Pierre Du Gual de Monts’s arrival at the Saint John River. He then contributed to the installation of the Champlain Monument in Queen Square. Jack also had some interest in architecture. He designed a proposed apartment house and attempted to develop a resort on Bay Shore Beach.
From 1901-1908, Jack was the editor and publisher of Acadiensis, a quarterly on Maritime provinces’ political, social, and cultural history. He contributed many pieces on many historical subjects. While the magazine was considered very important for its era, the costs were unsustainable, and Jack had to cease production in October 1908.
Jack’s passion for literature and history lasted throughout his life and he sought to make connections in these communities. He was the corresponding secretary for the New Brunswick Historical Society, as well as a corresponding member of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society and the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec. He was also a historian for the New Brunswick Loyalist Society. Additionally, Jack was a member of the Canadian Club, the St Andrew’s Society, and the Saint John Art Club.
Jack did some travel writing throughout his life. He published in several periodicals, such as the Montreal Daily Star, the University Magazine (Montreal), and the Queen’s Quarterly (Kingston, Ont.). He also published a book privately in 1900, Summer tourists: a manual for the New Brunswick farmer. The limited-edition booklet provided guidance for rural dwellers on attracting summer boarders.
In 1900, he wrote an entry on his grandfather, David William Jack, in Biographical review…of leading citizens of the province of New Brunswick, which was edited by his first cousin Isaac Allen Jack. Jack then published History of Saint Andrew’s Church, Saint John, N.B. in 1913, which was about the Presbyterian church he was active in. In 1913 he was also awarded membership in the Royal Colonial Institute of London. Before his death, Jack was working on a history of New Brunswick loyalists and their descendants. He died at the sanatorium in Clifton Springs at the age of 49 while being treated for heart disease.