||The Congregational College of British North America had its genesis in 1838 with Ludwick Kribs, a resident of Eramosa, Ontario, and was formally opened in Toronto as the Congregational Academy in September 1840. In 1839, Kribs, along with Stephen King, Leonard McGlashan, Samuel Fenton and Edward Ebbs comprised the first class of the Congregational College. In 1842, the College was described as 'the first body in Canada, strong and holy and intelligent and wealthy'..the first body in the Colony who have made a regular provision for education in the ministry.' The College was initially included under the auspices of the Congregational Union, and students were originally housed in a 'very plain frame house on Yonge Street,' while lectures given by the Reverend Adam Lillie were delivered in the Library. Between 1840 and 1864, Lillie taught 64 students. Over time, the faculty grew from Lillie, Rev. Carruthers and Dr, Wilkes in the 1840s to include various lecturers, professors, and tutors. In 1845, the Congregational College absorbed students from Montreal's Congregational Theological Institute, and the resulting united institution was renamed the Congregational Theological Institute in 1846. It bore this name until 1860, when it was once again renamed, this time to the Congregational College of British North America. Lillie died in 1869, at which time he was replaced as principal by Rev. Henry Wilkes, who served until 1883. Over time, the faculty expanded to include more professors, and in the years following 1889, the College was once again renamed, this time to the Congregational Church of Canada. In 1883, Wilkes was replaced by Rev. Stevenson, who served as principal until 1886, and who was subsequently replaced by Rev. W. M. Barbour. In 1884, the College erected a building costing $24, 624.40, in addition to the Principal's residence, which adjoined and cost $10,115.77 to build. Throughout its history, the College also had several endowments, namely the Lillie Memorial Fund, established following Lillie's death and being completed in 1872, the Chair of Theology Endowment Fund, worth $20,000 and completed in 1876, and the Lillie Chair, Church History and Biblical Literature Endowment Fund, which by 1886 was worth $4000. Furthermore, by 1889, the College was in the process of collecting the Jubilee Endowment Fund, which was projected to be worth approximately $21,000.
1) Marling, F.H. Congregational College of British North America: The Story of the Fifty Years, 1839-1889. Montreal: "Witness" Printing House, 1889. Accessed online from https://archive.org/stream/cihm_11095#page/n7/mode/2up, December 3, 2014.