||Burton’s Limited Booksellers & Stationers operated three different locations in Montreal: 1243 St. Catherine Street West, 1004 St. Catherine Street West, and 597 St. Catherine Street West. It is unknown when 1243 St. Catherine Street West and 1004 St. Catherine Street West opened for business.
On March 14, 1925, the Montreal Gazette newspaper published an article announcing the new location of Burton’s Limited Booksellers & Stationers at 597 St. Catherine Street West. The article titled “Harry Burton opens up attractive premises” reads: “Booklovers of Montreal have a new rendezvous in the bookshop of Harry Burton, Ltd., at 597 St. Catherine street west, which was opened this week. Mr. Burton is already well known to Montrealers, for he goes into business himself after twelve years as manager of Forster Brown’s. Previously he was for a short time with Miss Poole, but his knowledge of books and bookselling extends for an even greater number of years as a resident of the Old Country. Burton’s Limited, does not stop at being a mere book shop. At the back of a large and well-lighted store is a little galleried reading room with a reference library, and thence may be carried books from the shop proper for a careful looking over in the luxury of an arm chair. Here too may be found a comprehensive library of current reviews. Still another department comprises a circulating library for the use of patrons. Mr. Burton is arranging with an outstanding English author for a monthly letter, to be published in bulletin form, on current literary gossip in the Old Country. The stock already includes a complete collection of standard literature and fiction – indeed, everything from Bibles to expert treatises on the art of cross-word puzzling. A speciality is being made of fine bindings and the classics. It is planned within a few weeks to establish a French section of new and standard works. Finally there is a complete stationery department, where printing and engraving work is done.”
On December 4, 1928 the Montreal Gazette newspaper published an article announcing the distribution of the newly published “No. 3 Canadian General Hospital (McGill), 1914-1919” at Burton’s Limited, 1243 St. Catherine Street West. Titled “A History of the Medical Unit” the beginning of the article reads: “The history of No. 3 Canadian General Hospital (McGill), 1914-1919, has been edited and compiled by R.C. Fetherstonhaugh, with a foreward by Field Marshal His Royal Highness the Duke of Connaught, K.G., K.T., etc. There are two editions: Cloth, $5, and De Luxe, $10. The history has been printed by The Gazette Printing Company, Montreal, 1928, and the distributors are Burton’s, Limited, 1243 St. Catherine street west, Montreal. The work is fully illustrated, and is dedicated “to the enduring memory of those who gave their lives in the service of No. 3 Canadian General Hospital (McGill).” These were many and included some outstanding figures…”
All three Burton’s Limited locations supported the private boarding high schools located in the heart of Quebec by advertising in the King’s Hall Compton Yearbook and the Bishops College School Yearbook. The earliest Burton’s Limited advertisement was in the Bishops College School Yearbook, Winter 1927 for location 597 St. Catherine Street West. The 597 St. Catherine Street West location was advertised again in the King’s Hall Compton Yearbook in 1953. The second Burton’s Limited advertisement was in the Bishop’s College School Yearbook, Mid Summer 1929 for location 1243 St. Catherine Street West. The 1243 St. Catherine Street West location was advertised again in King’s Hall Compton Yearbook in 1932 and 1933. The 1004 St. Catherine Street West location advertised in the Bishop’s College School Yearbook in 1953, and the King’s Hall Compton Yearbook in 1935, 1948, and 1952.
Active in the community, Burton’s Limited supported the Montreal Centre’s second annual star night held on Tuesday, June 4th, 1946 by The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada in the City of Westmount. A week prior to the star night, Burton’s Limited supported the event and arranged window displays around small telescopes lent by the Society.