Open Collections

BC Sessional Papers

Annual Report Department of the Provincial Secretary JANUARY 1 TO DECEMBER 31 1972 British Columbia. Legislative Assembly 1973

Item Metadata

Download

Media
bcsessional-1.0375942.pdf
Metadata
JSON: bcsessional-1.0375942.json
JSON-LD: bcsessional-1.0375942-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): bcsessional-1.0375942-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: bcsessional-1.0375942-rdf.json
Turtle: bcsessional-1.0375942-turtle.txt
N-Triples: bcsessional-1.0375942-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: bcsessional-1.0375942-source.json
Full Text
bcsessional-1.0375942-fulltext.txt
Citation
bcsessional-1.0375942.ris

Full Text

 PROVINCE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
Annual Report
Department of the
Provincial Secretary
JANUARY 1 TO DECEMBER 31
1972
Printed by K. M. MacDonald, Printer to the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty
in right of the Province of British Columbia.
1973
  The Honourable Ernest Hall, Provincial Secretary.
  Victoria, B.C., February 16, 1973.
To His Honour the Lieutenant-Governor of the Province of British Columbia.
May it please Your Honour:
I have the honour, sir, to submit herewith the report of the Department of the
Provincial Secretary for the 1972 calendar year.
I have the honour to be,
Sir,
Your most obedient servant,
ERNEST HALL
Provincial Secretary
 Victoria, B.C., February 16, 1973.
The Honourable Ernest Hall,
Provincial Secretary.
Sir : I have the honour to submit the Annual Report of the Department of the
Provincial Secretary for the year ended December 31, 1972.
L. J. WALLACE
Deputy Provincial Secretary
 TABLE OF CONTENTS
Page
Statutes Administered by the Department     9
Introduction    11
General Administration  13
Orders in Council  13
The Great Seal  13
Appeals  13
Petitions of Right  13
Elderly Citizens' Housing  13
Elderly Citizens' Recreation Centres  16
Scholarships  16
Miscellaneous Grants  16
Capital Improvement District Commission  17
Historic Sites  19
Official Visits and Functions  21
Government House  21
Provincial Elections  21
The Queen's Printer  23
Provincial Archives  23
Library  23
Manuscript Collection  24
Map Collection  24
Visual Records  24
Provincial Library  25
Postal Branch  26
Central Microfilm Bureau  26
Civil Defence    28
Training  28
Communications  30
Marine Service  30
Air Service  30
Emergency Welfare Services  30
Emergency Health Services  31
Auxiliary Police Programme  31
Public Information  31
Archaeological Sites Advisory Board  31
Medical Services Commission  34
Reports to be Tabled by the Department  35
  STATUTES ADMINISTERED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY BY THE
DEPARTMENT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY
Archaeological and Historic Sites Protection Act.
British Columbia Centennial '71 Celebration Act.
Capital Improvement District Act.
Civil Defence Act.
Civil Service Act.
Civil Service Superannuation Act.
College Pension Act.
Constitution Act.
Departmental Inquiries Act.
Dogwood, Rhododendron, and Trillium Protection Act.
Elderly Citizens' Housing Aid Act.
Floral Emblem Act.
Indian Advisory Act.
Legislative Library Act.
Liquor-control Plebiscites Act.
Medical Grant Act.
Medical Services Act (to November 20, 1972).
Members of the Legislative Assembly Superannuation Act.
Municipal Superannuation Act.
Provincial Coat of Arms Act.
Provincial Elections Act.
Provincial Secretary Act.
Public Documents Disposal Act.
Public Inquiries Act.
Public Libraries Act.
Public Printing Act.
Public Services Group Insurance Act.
Public Services Medical Plan Act.
Queen Elizabeth II British Columbia Centennial Scholarship Act.
Special Assistance in the Cost of Education Act.
Teachers' Pension Act.
  Annual Report of the Provincial Secretary
INTRODUCTION
Generally speaking, the functions performed by the Department can be divided
into three categories—the historical duties as "Secretariat" to the Executive Council;
the provision of administrative services to Government; and as a "nurturing service,"
initiating new policies which do not naturally fall within the scope of other departments.
As a nurturing service, the Department has initiated a variety of programmes
through the years until they either developed into Government departments on their
own or reached a point where they more logically fitted into other existing departments. The Audit and Treasury Branches, for example, were part of the Department
until 1873. The Bureau of Mines came under the jurisdiction of the Provincial
Secretary from 1895 to 1899, and most health services were started in the Department.
A major realignment of responsibilities, begun with the formation of the new
Department of Health in 1946, was completed in 1972. Many basic functions
were transferred in 1946, to be followed in 1959 by mental hospitals, the three
farms associated with them, and mental health centres. In November of this year
the Medical Services Commission, established under the Medical Services Act
of 1967, was moved to the Department of Health Services and Hospital Insurance.
Because of the earlier association, the accounting services for the Department
of the Provincial Secretary are provided by the office of the Departmental Comptroller of the Department of Health Services and Hospital Insurance.
The Department is still "nurturing" functions under the Indian Advisory Act,
Civil Defence, Archaeological and Historic Sites Act, elderly citizens' housing aid,
recreation centres, and special care homes.
As a separate report is to be presented by the Indian Advisory Committee,
this branch will not be covered here. Similarly, separate reports will be submitted
by the Library Development Commission, the Civil Service Commission, and the
Superannuation Branch.
The Civil Service Commission is a major administrative service provided to
Government departments by the Department of the Provincial Secretary. Others
in this category are the Queen's Printer, the Central Microfilm Bureau, the
Provincial Archives, the Provincial Library (except when the Legislature is in
session), and the Postal Branch.
Historically, the Department performs duties relating to the functioning of the
Executive Council and various activities concerned with the efficient operation of the
Government. These functions include the processing of Orders in Council, the use
of the Great Seal of British Columbia, Provincial elections, and Government House.
The Department is the chief contact with the Crown and the Federal Government
in Ottawa, as well as organizer of official visits and functions.
It is interesting to note that in the first full year of the Province of British Columbia, to December 31, 1872, the Department of the Provincial Secretary had a
staff of 12 plus one temporary employee, with a total payroll of $17,904.   This
11
 U 12
BRITISH COLUMBIA
included the staff of the Lieutenant-Governor, Administration, Government Printing,
and the Audit and Treasury Branches. In 1972, excluding the Medical Services
Commission, the Department employed about 305 on a permanent basis, and about
172 temporary personnel, with an estimated total payroll of $3,500,000. During
the summer months about 85 additional temporary personnel were employed.
The Civil Service, as a whole, in 1872, consisted of 82 employees, 45 of them
involved in the Courts, police, and gaols, with a total payroll of $50,350.25. As of
November 1972, these figures had grown to 31,238 employees, with a payroll of
$22,668,352. A small percentage of civil servants, today, is involved in the administration of justice, reflecting a fundamental change in the functions of government,
from primarily control of society in the early days to services for the people and the
Province in more modern times.
In 1872, there was one person, a Mrs. Ogilvy, receiving a Government pension
of $485. The estimated expenditure on benefits from the Superannuation Branch
this fiscal year is $14,065,000.
The size and scope of the Department of the Provincial Secretary have altered
considerably through the years. There will doubtless be further changes in the
future.
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY,  1972 U  13
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION
As the title suggests, the General Administration Office of the Department of
the Provincial Secretary is involved in over-all administrative matters concerning the
operation of the Department. This includes supervision of budgetary and financial
matters, co-ordination of activities, and, in a general sense, personnel management.
In addition, a variety of specific functions are carried out by this office.
Orders in Council
Section 7 of the Provincial Secretary Act states, "The Provincial Secretary has
charge of all Orders in Council and Minutes of Council made by the Lieutenant-
Governor in Council."
Orders in Council, based on statutory authority, furnish the authority for the
day-to-day operation of the Provincial Government. During the calendar year, in
excess of 4,500 Orders in Council were received from the Executive Council, dispatched for signature by His Honour the Lieutenant-Governor or by the Administrator, processed, circulated as instructed, indexed, and filed.
The 1972 total is down somewhat from the total of 4,808 passed in the 1971
calendar year. This reduction is due largely to changes in the Pipe-lines Act, eliminating the need for Orders in Council in some cases. Still, the general increase in
Orders in Council passed each year, from the total of 225 in 1872, to the current
figure, reflects the steady growth of the Province, and of Government activity and
involvement.
The Great Seal
The Great Seal of the Province, entrusted to the keeping of the Provincial
Secretary, was used on 958 occasions during 1972, validating ministerial appointments, Letters Patent, Crown grants under the Land Act, Proclamations, Commissions, and other documents. It was used most frequently (698 times) on Crown
grants.
Appeals
A total of five appeals was prepared and submitted to Committee of Cabinet
under the Public Utilities Act, the Motor Carrier Act, and the Water Act. In addition, six appeals relating to expropriation valuations were processed for hearing by
a Judge of the County Court, under the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority Act.
Petitions of Right
During the year, nine petitions of right were initiated under the Crown Procedure Act. Of these, two were granted, two were refused, two lapsed, and three,
received in December, are being processed.
Elderly Citizens' Housing
In April 1955, the Provincial Government formally established a programme
of grants-in-aid of construction of low-cost housing for elderly citizens of low income,
following an experimental project started about 1947.
The formula for assistance offered to municipalities and nonprofit societies
consists of an outright grant of one-third of the total construction costs of self-
contained units, and 35 per cent of the cost of boarding-homes. Funds allocated
for this popular programme have grown year by year, from $200,000 in 1955, to
$4,200,000 in the 1972/73 fiscal year.
 U 14
BRITISH COLUMBIA
The Senior Citizens' Housing Programme continues to expand, providing high-quality,
low-rental accommodation throughout British Columbia.
The large, light, airy lounge at Matson Lodge, a Salvation Army senior citizens'
housing project at Esquimalt.
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY, 1972
U 15
A growing number of recreation centres provide facilities for senior citizens'
leisure-time activities.
 U 16
BRITISH COLUMBIA
By the end of 1972, more than 160 societies were responsible for providing
accommodation throughout the Province for 11,475 persons. During the year under
review, accommodation was created for more than 600 elderly citizens.
A new phase of the programme commenced recently whereby grants in the
amount of 35 per cent are provided toward the cost of construction of special care
homes. To date, six societies have built or are in the process of developing facilities under this programme which will house 646 people. Further firm proposals
have been presented by 10 organizations, and many more general inquiries have
been received, indicating considerable future expansion in this field.
Elderly Citizens' Recreation Centres
Under this programme, started in April 1963, the Provincial Government
gives one-third outright grants-in-aid of construction costs of recreation centres
destined for the exclusive use of elderly citizens, or parts of general recreation
centres reserved exclusively for the use of elderly citizens.
This programme initially proved very popular on the Lower Mainland and has
since spread to many other parts of British Columbia. Some 40 recreational
centres for senior citizens have been provided to date. There are indications this
programme will continue to expand in the new year.
Scholarships
There are two major scholarship programmes administered by the Department,
the newest being the Queen Elizabeth II British Columbia Centennial Scholarship,
established to commemorate the visit of Her Majesty to British Columbia during
Centennial '71 celebrations.
The purpose of the scholarship, valued at $5,000, is to enable a graduate who
has spent at least the final three years of study at one of the three public universities
in the Province to take further studies in the United Kingdom. The winner in
1972, chosen from the 21 applicants, was Ralph Whitney, of Vancouver, who is
now studying at Cambridge University for a Ph.D. in chemistry. The winner of
the first scholarship was Paul J. Pearlman, of Victoria, who is reading law at.
Cambridge.
The Nancy Greene Scholarships programme was established in 1968 to commemorate the brilliant performance of Miss Greene in winning the world championship in ski-ing in 1967, and being the only Canadian to win a gold and a
silver medal at the Winter Olympics in 1968.
Awarded for a combination of citizenship qualities, scholastic achievement,
and athletic ability, the scholarships were initially valued at $500 each, and were
awarded annually to five British Columbia high school graduates proceeding to
advanced studies in post-secondary educational institutions in the Province.
In 1972 the scholarships were increased in value to $750 each and are now
awarded to 10 students annually. The winners this year were chosen from 149
applications.
Miscellaneous Grants
During the year, approximately 100 organizations received, or are receiving,
grants voted for the 1972/73 fiscal year, to a total of $2,510,000. Major recipients
of Government funds under this programme are Alcoholism Foundation, $325,000;
Narcotic Foundation, $300,000; 1973 Canada Summer Games (to be held in New
Westminster-Burnaby, commencing August 3), $285,000.
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY,  1972
U 17
Capital Improvement District Commission
A city which is the seat of Government should reflect its position by special
efforts toward further beautification. The Capital Improvement District Commission was established for this purpose.
Supported by Provincial funds, the Commission is composed of 11 members
representing municipal, civic, and Provincial bodies. Through co-operative action
it plans and carries out projects aimed at enhancing the attractiveness of the capital
area.
Since its inception the CIDC has improved much of the marine drive around
Victoria's waterfront, beautified the major traffic entrances to the city, and assisted
in a number of park improvement projects such as the illumination of Beacon Hill
Park. The Commission has undertaken the extensive Gorge beautification programme on both the Esquimalt and Saanich sides of the waterway, and aided or
carried out the Centennial Square, Confederation Gardens, and Centennial '71
Park projects.
This last-mentioned could perhaps be considered the first phase of the extensive Inner Harbour beautification programme, and was followed in 1972 by the
creation of an attractive harbour-side area at the foot of Menzies Street. This
programme will continue in 1973, aided by a $50,000 increase in the Provincial
grant, the first increase since the work of the Commission began.
First phase of the beautification programme for Victoria's Inner Harbour
undertaken by the Capital Improvement District Commission.
—Ian McKain photo
I
 U 18
BRITISH COLUMBIA
Main Street in Barkerville Historic Park.
Cottonwood House on the road from Quesnel to Barkerville.    This historic roadhouse,
built in 1864, has been largely restored to its original condition.
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY, 1972 U 19
Historic Sites
Under the Barkerville Restoration Advisory Committee, the redevelopment of
the historic Cariboo Gold Rush centre, started in 1958, continued. In 1972 the
interiors of the Hudson's Bay Company store and the butcher shop were finished,
and log work and exterior sheathing were completed on the carriage shed. Materials
have been stockpiled for both the Chop Suey House in Chinatown and the snackbar/
souvenir shop/picnic shelter complex. Construction on these projects is due to
begin early in the new season. Also in the past year a major portion of the 85-unit
Lowhee Campground was completed, with the remainder due to be ready for full
operation in the coming summer.
Improvements to the 55 miles of highway from Quesnel to Barkerville by the
Department of Highways are at least partly responsible for an increase in attendance
to a total in excess of 190,000 visitors. The performers at the Theatre Royal generally played to full houses, and extra performances were scheduled on a number of
occasions.
An estimated 22,000 visitors stopped on their way to or from Barkerville to
visit the historic Cottonwood House, which has now been largely restored.
The number of visitors to Fort Steele Historic Park also showed a dramatic
increase, reaching close to 200,000 people. The Wild Horse Theatre was completed
and the first season of live variety performances attracted over 15,500 patrons.
Under the direction of the Fort Steele Restoration Foundation, established in
1961, the policy has been to develop the park as a "living museum," typical of the
area at the turn of the century.
While many improvements and additions were made during the year, the major
thrust was directed to the reconstruction of the log buildings first erected when the
North West Mounted Police established their first post west of the Rocky Mountains
in 1887. This project will be completed in 1973 in time for the coming celebrations
marking the centenary of the founding of the force.
The two historic locomotives at the park, the "Dunrobin" and the "Shay,"
continued to be popular attractions with visitors, as did the famous Clydesdale
horses. A stallion was acquired in the spring to ensure the maintenance of the herd.
The continuing co-operation and assistance of the Parks Branch in the development of the Historic Parks is gratefully acknowledged.
Both the Barkerville Restoration Advisory Committee and the Fort Steele
Restoration Foundation were dissolved in December 1972, to be replaced by the
new Historic Sites Advisory Board.
The restoration of Fort St. James as a historic park, first discussed in 1962,
and agreed to as a joint Federal-Provincial project in the spring of 1969, began in
1972 with a programme of archaeological research which is to continue in the coming
year.
In October 1969, British Columbia began to fulfil its initial commitment under
the agreement—the acquisition of privately owned land required for the development
of the park. Negotiations for the remaining one parcel of land in private ownership
will begin in 1973. The Federal Government is negotiating for lands in the area
owned by the Hudson's Bay Company.
Though work on a historic park is never really finished, the basic development
of Fort St. James Historic Park is due for completion in 1979.
 U 20
BRITISH COLUMBIA
Wild Horse Theatre at Fort Steele shortly before opening in 1972.
Scene from the Wild Horse Theatre production, "Fisherville Fling."
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY, 1972
U 21
Official Visits and Functions
Being responsible for matters of protocol in connection with Government activities, the Department is involved in arranging major conferences, official visits, and
entertainments. Unlike the very active Centennial year of 1971, there were no
major conferences or visits to organize in 1972. There were, however, some 127
Government-sponsored social functions. Receptions, banquets, luncheons, and
dinners were held for many national and international associations and organizations
meeting in the Province.
GOVERNMENT HOUSE
A total of 7,785 people was entertained at receptions, luncheons, and dinners
at Government House during 1972, including the High Commissioners for Barbados
and New Zealand, and the Ambassadors for Israel, Cuba, Ireland, Italy, and
Greece. His Honour the Lieutenant-Governor held a number of investitures, presenting awards in connection with The Royal Life Saving Society, Boy Scouts and
Girl Guides, Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, and the Royal Humane Society.
A large number of students from the Young Voyageurs Programme, and
British Columbia schools, including Jericho Hill School for the Deaf, were received
and taken on tours of Government House.
A word of appreciation is due to Lieutenant-Governor Colonel the Honourable
John R. Nicholson for his unfailing devotion to duty. Having expressed in 1972
his desire to retire, he has continued to serve pending the appointment of a new
representative of the Crown.
PROVINCIAL ELECTIONS
Under the Chief Electoral Officer, the Branch is charged with the conduct of
Provincial general elections and by-elections, Government-supervised liquor plebiscites, and the maintenance and upkeep of the permanent list of voters of the
Province which was instituted in 1946.
The major activity in 1972 was, of course, the Provincial general election
called on July 24 for August 30. Prior to the calling of the election, from June 5
to July 15, a Province-wide voter enumeration took place. After July 24, registration centres were established for persons missed in the enumeration.
Registrars of Voters throughout the Province were responsible for the checking
of nomination papers, the printing of lists of voters, and the printing and delivery
of "Where to Vote" cards, as well as acting in an advisory capacity to the Returning
Officer for their respective districts.
In conjunction with the general election, a time plebiscite was held in the
following electoral districts: Columbia River, North Peace River, South Peace River,
Kootenay, and the eastern part of the Nelson-Creston Electoral District.
Liquor plebiscites were held in four areas during 1972, and it is expected that
two more will be held early in the new year.
To keep the permanent list of voters up to date, "You Did Not Vote" cards
have been sent to voters whose names were not checked off the lists on election-day.
The return by the post office of undeliverable cards will permit the elimination
from the lists of voters of many names of people who no longer reside in a district.
In a continuing effort to compensate for the shift in population, some polling
divisions within electoral districts were revised prior to the Provincial general election, and studies are under way in a number of other districts with a view to making
 U 22
BRITISH COLUMBIA
Checking the master files of some of the 1,343,826 voters registered for the
1972 Provincial general election.
—Vancouver Sun photo
Voters wait to cast ballots in the advance poll, prior to the
August 30 Provincial general election.
—Vancouver Sun photo
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY, 1972 U 23
similar alterations. It should also be noted that in May 1972 all supplies were
transferred from the Victoria office to Vancouver. This move was made in order
to facilitate the distribution of material and to allow the Chief Electoral Officer to
have a running inventory available at all times.
THE QUEEN'S PRINTER
The function of the Queen's Printer has remained virtually unchanged since
the office was established in 1868 to serve the printing needs of the Government of
the young Crown Colony of British Columbia. The Bureau has grown, however,
to become an important service bureau for supplying printing and stationery goods
to all Government departments.
Having begun as a three-man, single-press operation, the Queen's Printer currently employs 115 people with an annual payroll of $1,000,000, and printing and
stationery sales of $3,500,000. These "sales," as Government departments pay
for services and materials received, finance the operation of the Bureau, enabling it
to operate on a nominal annual sum of $10.
During the year, several programmes were undertaken to expand production
and service while reducing operating costs. In certain cases inventory in the production and stationery departments was reduced, and, where possible, less expensive
substitutes were found for stock items. Perhaps the most important project was
centralization in respect to production flow. In this area, the Queen's Printer offset
platemaking and pressroom centres were reorganized, and several pieces of new
equipment were purchased in order that the volume of production could be increased. During 1973 it is hoped that further improvements will be made in
organizing an in-plant safety committee, pollution, and quality control programmes,
as well as a further updating of production equipment.
A financial statement on the operations of the Queen's Printer will be presented
separately.
PROVINCIAL ARCHIVES
This institution has now completed the second year of operation in the splendid
new facilities as a component of Heritage Court. Necessarily, it has taken time to
reorganize resources and services within the new building, particularly since so
much material had simply been in storage as a result of the former cramped quarters.
The resources, which are of enormous value, are widely used not only by serious
scholars literally from all over the world but also by the general public and students
within the Province.
Four main divisions are functional within the Archives' responsibility for the
record of the history and development of the Province:
(1) Library
The extensive collection of books, pamphlets, periodicals, and other records in
print is one of the finest and most extensive on the continent. Perhaps the best proof
of its significance is the fact that its dictionary catalogue was selected by G. K. Hall
and Company, of Boston, Mass., for reproduction in book form. It became available early in 1972. Every effort is made to secure all in-print material relative to
British Columbia, the Pacific Northwest, including Yukon Territory and Alaska, as
well as Canada west of the Great Lakes.
 U 24
BRITISH COLUMBIA
Heritage Court in Victoria as seen from the grounds of the Parliament Buildings.
Archives building is on the left with the Curatorial Tower on the right. Provincial
Museum is in the background.
(2)  Manuscript Collection
Included therein are not only the back records of Government since its organization in British Columbia in 1849, but also records related to the period of discovery
and fur trade prior to colonial status being achieved. Private papers of individuals,
business companies, and organizations of all types are acquired. Typical of this sort
of acquisition within the year was the transfer to the Archives of a substantial volume
of earlier records from the Department of the Attorney-General, the Surveyor of
Taxes, and of Premier's papers from the McBride administration to that of Simon
Fraser Tolmie. Of particular interest also were back records of the Vancouver
Stock Exchange and the British Columbia Temperance League, as well as a continuing programme with the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Order.
(3) Map Collection
This includes not only maps of cartographic interest showing the exploration of
British Columbia but all maps produced by the Government, those produced by the
Federal Government pertinent to British Columbia, and other maps produced by
public and private agencies. These are well catalogued and housed in a manner to
make them readily accessible to inquirers.
(4) Visual Records
This includes photographs, lithographs, and paintings of historical significance.
Over 80,000 photographs have been accessioned and the annual inflow is large,
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY,  1972 U 25
well in excess of 5,000. There is a heavy demand by a wide range of users for
prints from the collection. The painting collection is extensive and valuable, and
accessions are constantly being made. Of note this year were two paintings by
Emily Carr and one by Edward Schrapnel acquired from an owner in Australia. In
addition, during the year paintings were loaned to the Oakland Art Museum (relating to Grafton T. Brown), and to the Willistead Gallery, Windsor, Ont. (relating to
Emily Carr). One travelling exhibit by the White Pass Railway was also placed on
display. A reorganization of the painting collection is now about to be undertaken.
The appointment of a Display Director scheduled for the early part of the new year
will hopefully result in the start of a series of public exhibitions of Archives material.
In addition to these functions, two historic museums are administered by the
Provincial Archives. Helmcken House, originally opened in 1941, continues to
attract a large number of visitors. In 1972 there were 13,020 visitors. On March
9, 1972, the official dedication of Craigflower Manor took place. This was a joint
Federal-Provincial restoration conducted over several years. The house was functional prior to the dedication, and in the fiscal year 1971/72 attendance was 5,896;
in the 1972 calendar year attendance had grown to 7,589.
PROVINCIAL LIBRARY
The Provincial Library, one of the oldest general reference libraries in the
Province, is responsible for three broad categories of library service.
While the Legislature is in session its principal function, under the jurisdiction
of the Speaker of the Legislature, is to serve as a reference library to meet the requirements of the Members of the Legislative Assembly. Many of its resources are
geared to that end. For example, in so far as Government documents are concerned,
all publications of the Government of British Columbia and the Federal Government
are received, as well as those from other Canadian provinces and selectively from
the Federal Government of the United States and State jurisdictions, the United
Nations, and Commonwealth countries. The annual inflow is in excess of 25,000
items. A monthly check list of selected items received is circulated to Members of
the Legislature, to Government departments, and to selected libraries within and
without the Province.
Of particular value is the index of the daily newspapers published in Vancouver
and Victoria. This function has been going on for years, and though incomplete
for part of the period from 1900 onwards, is of such value that it has been microfilmed and made available to the three public universities and the Vancouver Public
Library. Plans are under consideration to complete and revise this index for the
period 1900-70. Arrangements are now in hand to microfilm the index for the
calendar years 1971 and 1972 and to make it more generally available. In a normal
year some 50,000 items are indexed, involving the addition of well over 150,000
entries in the index.
Plans are now in progress to provide a new reference and reading room for the
Members of the Legislature, which area, when the House is not in session, will be
available to researchers within the Government service and visitors to the institution.
The resources and services of the Provincial Library are available to all departments of the Government, irrespective of the existence within some departments of
their own library facilities. Of these departmental libraries, the Provincial Library
provides a cataloguing service for Health Services and Mental Health Services of
the Department of Health Services and Hospital Insurance; Water Resources Branch
of the Department of Lands, Forests, and Water Resources; Department of Mines;
 U 26 BRITISH COLUMBIA
Regional Planning Branch of the Department of Municipal Affairs; Fish and Wildlife Branch and the Provincial Museum of the Department of Recreation and Conservation. Discussions are in hand for the reorganization of a departmental library
for the Department of Recreation and Conservation. The intent of this arrangement
is to provide within the Provincial Library a union catalogue of the book resources
of the Government. During 1971 over 3,500 new titles were added to the Provincial
Library and over 9,000 titles to the union catalogue.
The Provincial Library subscribes to some 650 serials (periodicals, magazines,
and journals) and to nearly 200 newspapers, including 160 British Columbia daily
and weekly newspapers. Within the Province this library has substantially the only
complete file of newspapers from the beginning of publication in 1858.
During the course of the year, interlibrary loans, either by loan of books or
Xerox of material, continued to increase; nearly 600 transactions were handled by
loan and 60 by borrowing. With photocopy services available, in excess of
15,000 pages were reproduced for patrons in 1972.
The general public also makes use of resources and services. As a reference
library, materials are available only for on-site use, and this service is necessarily
restricted during the periods in which the Legislature is in session. Many inquiries
are received either by phone or by letter, and dealt with.
The physical facilities of the Library are severely taxed, but plans are now in
hand to complete the book-stack areas and to relocate work areas, which upon
completion will greatly facilitate the services offered.
POSTAL BRANCH
The Postal Branch appears to have started operating in 1928 with a staff of
two, and estimated postal charges of $20,000 for the fiscal year. It was transferred
to the Department of Finance in 1932, and back to the Department of the Provincial
Secretary in the spring of 1960.
The growth of Government activity through the years has resulted in a considerable increase in mail handled by the Branch. Currently, a staff of 11, including
two postal truck-drivers, is required to handle the volume, with an additional clerk
due to be added early in 1973. The volume of outgoing mail has virtually doubled
during the past 10 years to a 1972 total of 10,429,104 pieces, with a corresponding
increase in incoming mail. Government postage charges have increased from
about a thousand dollars in the early years after Confederation to something in
excess of $1,500,000 for the current fiscal year.
Working conditions were improved significantly early in 1972 when additional
space was allotted to the Branch.
Preliminary plans for 1973 call for the consolidation of mailings in more of
the larger centres of the Interior by the installation of postage-meter machines.
CENTRAL MICROFILM BUREAU
The Bureau was established in September 1951, with a staff of eight and two
microfilm cameras. Today, the personnel numbers 30 permanent and eight temporary employees. The Bureau provides a filming and information service centre for
all departments of Government. An estimated 137,000,000 folios have been filmed
in the Victoria area. In addition, 10,500 rolls of microfilm of 100 feet each have
been produced since 1967 of computer-generated information for rapid referencing
from microfilm information-retrieving stations.
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY,  1972
U 27
New microfilm processing machine ready for installation. Machine is capable of
virtually continuous developing of film, and will substantially increase the production
capacity of the Central Microfilm Bureau.
In April 1972 the Bureau was assigned the responsibility of directing and
servicing the filming operations of the seven Land Registry Offices in the Province.
Many millions of exposures are still to be made before the microfilming of all
registry documents supporting the titles is completed. The additional responsibility
has substantially increased the work load of the reprography section, boosting the
volume of film processed by almost half a million feet over the 1971 total.
This added volume of work has made it necessary to stagger the working-
hours of the reprography staff to accommodate daily film-processing demands. New
processing equipment, to be operational in February 1973, should solve this problem, enabling the staff to conform to normal working-hours. In connection with
the installation of the new equipment, the film storage and reprography sections in
the Curatorial Building headquarters are being altered and enlarged.
A new service was commenced in May with the purchase of equipment capable
of producing additional negative films from camera negative roll films in minutes.
This eliminates the time-consuming method of rephotographing paper to supply
sufficient films for information-retrieval stations or to replace damaged or aging
films.
The Central Microfilm Bureau continues to work at full capacity, in fact, staff
and equipment are already fully committed for programmes scheduled for the whole
of 1973. As the result, there is a danger of a trend developing to decentralize
services.
 U 28 BRITISH COLUMBIA
Comparative figures illustrating usage and reference to films follow:
1971 1972
Searches       8,586 7,392
Prints       7,345 10,341
Jackets     32,516 18,891
Aperture cards       7,093 6,516
Microstrip holders     17,540 15,623
Processed film footage  771,750 1,254,810
CIVIL DEFENCE
Civil Defence came into being in British Columbia with the passage of the
Civil Defence Act in 1951. Initially, the prime purpose was preparation for the
protection of the population and continuity of Government in the event of a
national war emergency. Through the years the emphasis has changed and now
almost all of Provincial Civil Defence activities are directed toward preparedness
to cope and deal with peacetime civil emergencies.
The aim of Provincial Civil Defence is to promote, nurture, and assist the
development of functional and continuous preparedness programmes which will
best suit local needs. The ultimate objective is to develop throughout British
Columbia, and in every community in the Province, an optimal capability to cope
and deal with disaster and emergency situations with minimal disruption of essential
services, and with maximum economy of vital resources.
In all, 175 emergency service tasks were authorized by Provincial Civil Defence through a busy 1972, with over 3,000 persons involved.
Major flood emergencies accounted for most of the work, but the operations
involved a wide variety of tasks, searches, mountain rescues, air and marine search
and rescue missions, and assisting accident victims. Though flood damage to property did run into millions of dollars, thanks to a high level of preparedness, damage
and losses were comparatively light for the extent of flooding experienced. Major
flooding problems occurred in the Kamloops and Fraser Valley areas.
The exemplary expertise and leadership of the Department of Highways engineers and technicians must be commended, along with the high level of co-operation
among the various departments, levels of Government, and private agencies.
Training
A major portion of an optimal emergency preparedness programme is training
of personnel to assume extraordinary responsibilities and duties in time of emergency.
The Provincial Civil Defence Training Programme is designed to provide general orientation for elected civic officials and key personnel, and technical training
for selected civic employees and volunteers who provide leadership in training
personnel at the local level.
Civil Defence also provides certain training for Provincial civil servants and to
some groups with a special need, such as Venturer Scouts and aviation students.
Because of the rapidly growing need for trained search and rescue workers, an
additional instructor has been retained who will be available to help conduct courses
at the local level.
In 1972, a total of 4,742 candidates representing the six zones — Victoria,
Vancouver, Prince Rupert, Prince George, Nelson, and Kamloops—received train-
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY,  1972
U 29
Residents of Elerly Thrupp
Manor, Senior Citizens' Housing
project in Kamloops, watch intently as volunteers work to protect their home from rising river
water.
Volunteers of all ages answer the
call for help when flood waters
threaten.
 U 30 BRITISH COLUMBIA
ing in auxiliary fire, auxiliary police, communications, emergency health, emergency
welfare, first aid, general orientation, radiological defence, rescue, search and rescue,
and survival.
Communications
Progress is being made toward implementing the new policy regarding Province-wide emergency communications, moving away from the original concept of
a system using equipment owned or rented by Civil Defence. The new system will
utilize communications resources owned by Government departments, Crown corporations, and other agencies.
As an emergency back-up, the B.C. Civil Defence Amateur Radio Net has
been established, consisting at present of 160 stations. With the assistance of
commercial broadcasting organizations in British Columbia, a test of the net was
conducted on September 30, which resulted in 130 amateurs checking in with their
Net Controllers in a matter of minutes.
Effective liaison has been established with the Radio and Visual Educational
Network (RAVEN), a communication system connecting some 40 Indian communities.
At the local level there is increasing co-operation with citizens' band organizations.
Marine Service
While the primary responsibility for providing vessels for marine rescue on
tidal waters lies with the Canadian Coast Guard, and co-ordination of the function
rests with the Armed Forces Rescue Co-ordination Centre at Esquimalt, the Federal
Government cannot cover all possible emergency situations which might arise on our
coastal waters.
The mushrooming growth of the number of pleasure craft on our waters in the
last few years has created a steadily increasing need for a more localized rescue
capability. Accordingly, early in 1972, formal approval was granted for waterfront
communities to organize a Marine Rescue Service under the aegis of Civil Defence.
Thirty marine service emergency operations were conducted during the year.
Air Service
The Civil Defence Air Service is a valuable back-up resource to the Armed
Forces Transport and Rescue Squadrons, primarily responsible for conducting
missing aircraft searches. It is also a prime source for an air-reconnaisance capability for land searches.
Pilots and aircraft owners have volunteered their time and equipment to provide
the service, being compensated only for the cost of fuel and oil used. Their training,
experience, and familiarity with the rugged British Columbia terrain has proved
particularly valuable.
Emergency Welfare Services
Wherever large-scale emergencies arise, there is an immediate need for Emergency Welfare Services. Planning, organizing, and training for such services are
conducted jointly by the Office of the Civil Defence Co-ordinator and the Department of Rehabilitation and Social Improvement.
Consultations with the Canadian Red Cross have resulted in a letter of intent
being drafted, agreeing that the Red Cross will, as far as possible, assume the
responsibility of managing certain voluntary components of such services. These
include answering inquiries about disaster victims, and arrangements for feeding,
clothing, and lodging for these victims.
 report of the provincial secretary, 1972 u 31
Emergency Health Services
While the actual need for Emergency Health Services was small in 1972, the
need for preparedness is ever present. Three emergency hospitals, two advanced
treatment centres, and two casualty collecting units were pre-positioned during the
floods and flood threats, but fortunately were not needed.
The programme of Disaster Nursing Education continued in nursing schools,
and the training programme for hospital personnel was conducted in five hospitals.
Basic industries in more remote areas are creating increasing demands for backup health supplies in community emergencies. Such smaller communities with
primary industries are more conscious of emergency health requirements and need
more assistance.
Auxiliary Police Programme
The Auxiliary Police Training Programme, conducted by the Royal Canadian
Mounted Police and municipal police forces, makes possible the enrolment and training of local volunteers to augment the regular force in time of emergency. Costs of
equipping and training are met from the Civil Defence Vote.
In addition to providing an auxiliary force of approximately 1,200 men across
the Province, the local involvement in the programme is producing a double-sided
public relations benefit; the public is getting a better understanding of police responsibilities, and the regular force gains a greater appreciation of their responsibility to
the public.
A special course of instruction has been arranged with a view to integrating a
select segment of the Auxiliary Force with search and rescue groups.
Legislation provides for an auxiliary police strength equal to the strength of
the combined regular forces in the Province. Though this level has not been reached,
there is a gradual annual growth.
Public Information
With the gradual change from the war emergency aspect of the total preparedness programme, the public information programme of Provincial Civil Defence is
of growing importance. Optimum effectiveness of an emergency preparedness programme requires the understanding, support, and active participation of the public,
obtainable only through an effective information programme. In addition, the public
must be warned in time of impending peril, and advised and directed during a crisis
period.
Tsunami warning reception and dissemination procedures are tested frequently
to assure the greatest possible warning time in the event of a threat of earthquake-
generated waves in coastal areas. Through the broadcasting media, such warnings
can be transmitted to the public in endangered areas within minutes of being received
by Civil Defence officials. Royal Canadian Mounted Police and other concerned
bodies can also be alerted within minutes.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES ADVISORY BOARD
The Board was named in June 1960, under the terms of the then newly proclaimed Archaeological and Historic Sites Protection Act (1960). A major step
forward was the appointment of a Provincial Archaeologist late in 1971. Another
milestone was the passage of a new Archaeological and Historic Sites Protection Act,
which was proclaimed on May 8, 1972.
 U 32
BRITISH COLUMBIA
Libby Dam pondage excavations. The concentration of heat-fractured stones and
charcoal suggest this was the hearth of a large camp. There are indications the area was
occupied, perhaps on a seasonal basis, for at least 5,000 years.
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY,  1972 U 33
The main function of the Board is to act in an advisory capacity to the Provincial Secretary on matters related to the preservation and conservation of archaeological resources located within the Province.
The new Act requires that all archaeological field work carried out in the Province on Crown lands or on private lands which contain Indian burial remains or
examples of prehistoric rock art must be carried out under a permit issued by the
Provincial Secretary. This permit may impose conditions upon field workers to
ensure that proper procedures are followed in the excavation and recording of all
materials recovered in the field. It may also specify conditions regarding final disposition of artifacts and other associated material and data recovered from archaeological sites in the Province.
This permit system is, in effect, a means by which archaeological resources may
be preserved. It limits excavation of sites to persons qualified in carrying out the
exacting work of systematically recording relationships of cultural objects and data
as present in a site. A total of 42 permits was issued in 1972. A small number of
permit-holders from past years continue to ignore repeated requests to submit
reports. Future applications from such persons will not be considered until all
conditions of past permits have been fulfilled.
Other major functions of the Board include the dissemination of information
to the public through publications, lectures, and the press, and liaison with other
Government departments, Crown corporations, and private industry.
The text of the booklet, Preserving British Columbia's Prehistory, has now been
revised and brought up to date.   It will be available early in 1973.
Approximately 13,000 copies of the pamphlet summarizing the provisions of
the new Archaeological and Historic Sites Protection Act have been circulated
throughout the Province.
Under the sponsorship of the National Film Board, three students from the
Film Workshop at Simon Fraser University exposed 35,000 feet of 16-mm. colour
movie film at 10 different archaeological projects throughout the Province. It is
proposed that further footage be shot in 1973, providing the material for one or
more finished movies.
The Provincial Archaeologist has been assisting in the planning of a travelling
museum display. The presentation of such a display in local museums throughout
British Columbia might fit in very well with the Board's proposal to establish a
"warden" system. These volunteers would report on violations of the Act, the
condition of known sites, help in public information programmes, and record new
archaeological sites.
The first charge ever laid under the Archaeological and Historic Sites Protection
Act was made on September 6 by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police at Tofino.
The incident involved the alleged removal of skeletal remains from an Indian burial-
place. The accused was convicted and fined $300.
Approximately 3,500 archaeological site locations, out of a total of 5,000
recorded in the Province, have been deposited with the Department of Lands,
Forests, and Water Resources for plotting on Provincial reference maps. This
work is continuing.
Requests for the establishment of two permanent land reserves, and one temporary reserve, were granted by the Lands Branch. In all three instances the sites
were endangered by proposed logging activity.
The continuing co-operation of Government departments and private industry
is acknowledged with appreciation. Copies of plans relating to proposed construction
of hydro transmission-lines, dams, highways, and logging operations are received by
 U 34 BRITISH COLUMBIA
the Provincial Archaeologist. In many instances, the organization concerned has
provided financial assistance to enable surveys, excavations, and salvage operations
to be carried out before plans were finalized or construction undertaken. Of major
importance in 1972 were the Libby Dam Pondage Archaeological Salvage Project,
assisted by the Department of Lands, Forests, and Water Resources and the Archaeological Survey of Canada; the Chilcotin Highway Salvage Project, assisted by the
Department of Highways; and the assistance of the B.C. Railway Company in work
along the right-of-way for the expansion of rail from Fort St. James to Dease Lake.
MEDICAL SERVICES COMMISSION
On November 21, 1972, Order in Council 4085/72, designated the Minister
of Health Service and Hospital Insurance as the Minister responsible for the Medical
Services Commission, and removed the Commission from the Department of the
Provincial Secretary where it had been placed after the passage of the Medical Services Act in 1967.
The three-member Commission functions as the public authority responsible
to the Minister in respect to the administration and operation of the voluntary medical care insurance plan established by the Medical Services Act Regulations. While
there is only the one plan of medical care insurance for residents of the Province,
the Commission has designated three carriers as agencies to carry out specific responsibilities. These three carriers—British Columbia Medical Plan, Credit Union and
Co-operative Health Services Society, and Medical Services Association—are administrative arms of the Commission, providing, on a voluntary premium basis, coverage
to over 99 per cent of the insurable residents of the Province in 1972.
The Medical Care Act of Canada, assented to in December 1966, stipulated
certain criteria for a provincial plan which, if satisfied, would result in contributions
to a participating province. In 1968, the Federal Government agreed that the
proposed plan for British Columbia met the criteria of the Act, and the Overall
Medical Services Plan of British Columbia was established on May 21 of that year,
becoming effective July 1, the initial commencement-day of the Act.
During 1972, maximum annual limits on the additional benefits for services of
chiropractors, naturopathic physicians, physiotherapy and orthoptic treatments,
osteopathic physicians, and in some cases podiatrists, were doubled. In August, the
Government amended the regulation covering the additional benefit for eye examination by optometrists to allow payment for additional eye examination services where
medically required within the 24 months between examination restriction.
Following recommendations of an Advisory Board, the laboratory approval
programme, initiated by amendments to the Medical Services Act Regulation of
November 15, 1971, was actively pursued. Much remains to be done in the vast
complicated field of control of quality and costs of diagnostic services, but progress
has been made.
As in the past, the Commission in 1972 continued to work closely with the
Peer Review Committees of Physicians and other practitioners providing services
under the plan. The Commission provides the Executive of these practitioner associations with statistical data for use in their reviews.
A qualified research officer was added to the staff of the Commission to assist
in the study of statistical information, trends, practitioner profiles of practice, etc.
An Inspector was also added to the staff to investigate questions and problems,
including those of eligibility, possibility of coverage, premium payment, and insured
service payments to practitioners, and to advise and assist the consumer, the provider of the service, and the Commission.
 REPORT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY, 1972 U 35
During 1973, the report by the Government-appointed independent research
team investigating all aspects of British Columbia's health services is to be tabled.
Considerable preliminary research carried out during 1972 into methods of
improving statistical data being provided to the Peer Review Committees will bear
fruit in 1973.
REPORTS TO BE TABLED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF THE PROVINCIAL SECRETARY AT THE SECOND SESSION OF THE THIRTIETH
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, SPRING  1973.
Year Ended
Capital Improvement District Commission, Statement
of Receipts and Disbursements March 31, 1972
Civil Service Commission December 31, 1972
Civil Service Superannuation March 31, 1972
College Pension August 31, 1972
Department of the Provincial Secretary December 31, 1972
First Citizens' Fund Advisory Committee March 31, 1973
Indian Advisory Committee December 31, 1972
Library Development Commission March 31, 1972
Members of the Legislative Assembly Superannuation March 31, 1972
Municipal Superannuation December 31, 1971
Public Service Group Insurance June 30, 1972
Queen's Printer Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss
Statement March 31, 1972
Teachers' Pensions December 31, 1971
Printed by K. M. MacDonald, Printer to the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty
in right of the Province of British Columbia.
1973
530-273-1575
 

Cite

Citation Scheme:

        

Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics

Share

Embed

Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                        
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            src="{[{embed.src}]}"
                            data-item="{[{embed.item}]}"
                            data-collection="{[{embed.collection}]}"
                            data-metadata="{[{embed.showMetadata}]}"
                            data-width="{[{embed.width}]}"
                            async >
                            </script>
                            </div>
                        
                    
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:
https://iiif.library.ubc.ca/presentation/cdm.bcsessional.1-0375942/manifest

Comment

Related Items