Notes on Metal Mines..
Queen Charlotte Islands.
Lac la Hache.
2 MINES AND PETROLEUM RESOURCES REPORT, 1962
Notes on Metal Mines—Continued
Fairview Camp 65
Camp McKinney 66
North Kootenay Lake 77
Retallack-Three Forks 79
Slocan Lake 82
Springer Creek 83
Ruddock Creek 89
Skagit River 89
Harrison Lake 93
Howe Sound 93
Texada Island 94
Quadra Island 95
Vancouver Island 96
Reports on Geological, Geophysical, and Geochemical Work 130
The average Canadian prices paid in 1962 for gold, silver, copper, and zinc
were up and the price for lead was down, compared with the 1961 prices. Due to
the premium on United States funds, the price for gold advanced almost $2 per ounce
to the highest mark in twelve years. The price for silver continued to rise to the
unprecedented Canadian price in 1962 of $1.16 per ounce, a one-third increase over
the preceding ten-year average. A rise of a little more than 2 cents in the average
Canadian price of copper was largely the result of the rate of exchange and signified
little change in price. A fraction of a cent rise in the price of zinc was offset by a
similar drop in the price of lead.
Gold, silver, copper, lead, and zinc produced at British Columbia lode mines in
1962 had a value of $132,148,861. Miscellaneous metals, including iron ore, nickel,
tin, and minor metals recovered at the Trail smelter, had a value of $27,303,543.
The total quantity of ore mined at all lode mines amounted to 11,212,106 tons and
came from sixty-four mines, of which forty-five produced 100 tons or more. The
average number employed in the lode-mining industry in 1962, including mines,
concentrators, and smelters, was approximately 7,900.
In 1962 twenty-eight mills were operated, fifteen of them throughout the year.
Of the others, six were operated part time or closed. Six operated for the first time,
and one was closed shortly after being built. Two mills shut down—the Mother
Lode at Greenwood for want of ore and the Empire at Benson Lake upon exhaustion
of the open pit and pending underground development. It was a banner year for
new mills—three began treating copper ore at the Coast Copper, Sumo (Cowichan
Copper), and Bethlehem mines, and three iron ore at the Brynnor, Zeballos Iron,
and Jedway mines. This brought the total number of mills that operated in 1962 to
nine on silver-lead-zinc ore, eight on copper ore, six on iron ore, four on gold ore,
and one on nickel ore.
The Trail smelter recorded custom receipts of 17,019 tons of ore, 2,907 tons of
lead concentrates, and 29,560 tons of zinc concentrates from British Columbia
mines. The ore was from twenty-eight mines, half of which shipped about 15,500
tons of gold-bearing siliceous ore and half shipped about 1,500 tons of silver-lead-
zinc ore. The lead concentrates were from ten mines, of which one shipped 70 per
cent of the total. The zinc concentrates were from twelve mines, of which one
shipped 88 per cent of the total. Lead concentrates exported to American smelters
totalled 24,279 tons, and zinc concentrates, 49,863 tons. Copper concentrates were
all exported—42,041 tons to the Tacoma smelter and 153,423 tons to smelters in
Japan. Nickel-copper bulk concentrates amounting to 19,900 tons were shipped to
Japan. All iron-ore concentrate was shipped under contract to Japan, a total of
Gold production was about 2 per cent below that for 1961, but the increase in
price brought the value of production to about IV2 per cent more than in 1961.
There was little change in the outlook for gold, with 75 per cent of production
coming from the Bralorne and Cariboo Gold Quartz mines and another 5 per cent
from sundry shipments of gold ore. The old Cariboo mine at Camp McKinney
closed after shipping ore for 2V2 years and contributing 12,000 ounces of gold in
that time. At the old Golden Contact property near McGillivray Falls a mill was
built on the strength of a few high gold assays, which, however, were found to be too
erratic to represent ore, and the mill closed.
4 MINES AND PETROLEUM RESOURCES REPORT, 1962
The rise in price of silver, coming late in the year, had little effect on the production of silver. Less silver was produced at the Sullivan mine, and consequently
the Provincial total was below that in the last two years.
Copper production set a new record for quantity of 109 million pounds, worth
a little more than a record 33 million dollars. For the first time in thirty years the
value of copper was almost that of lead. Seventy-two per cent of the copper was
produced by the Craigmont mine, which started operation in September, 1961.
Three new copper mills went into production—those at the Sumo, Coast Copper,
and Bethlehem (first shipment in 1963) mines—and, although the Mother Lode
operation closed, production at Phoenix increased. Plainly, copper will be in a
position of first-rank importance for some time to come.
The progress of the Bethlehem operation, with an ore grade below what
is generally considered desirable, will be watched with great interest. Phoenix,
although started as a relatively small salvage operation, has steadily increased its
tonnage and its reserves, and operated in 1962 on a mill head little more than 0.7 per
cent copper. At the same time the Granby company has not given up thought of
an operation at its property on Babine Lake, with a grade understood to be less than
0.7 per cent. The low-grade copper ores of British Columbia are in the limelight,
and are being tested throughout the length of the western " copper belt" of the
At the Western Mines property at the south end of Buttle Lake, a substantial
amount of complex ore of good grade has been demonstrated. Granduc concluded
another season's work with confirmation of previously estimated tonnage, but,
because of physical difficulties, without reaching a decision regarding production.
In the Province generally the cost of continuing exploration is expensive, and the
money available to small groups is limited, but the rewards of success are great, and
a good number of smaller companies continue to do surface work in the southern
Interior. On the other hand, the exploration wings of many major companies are
active; of these, several are attempting comprehensive regional studies, some are
taking a second or third look at ground investigated by themselves or by others,
some are prospecting, and some are participating with others in exploration ventures.
The production of lead dropped sharply from the high figure of 1951, but
remained above the average for the last ten years. The difference was largely in
the output of the Sullivan mine. In the Slocan the Victor mine produced the last
company ore and was turned over to lessees. Two new exploration ventures—one at
the Ruth-Hope at Sandon and the other at the Standard-Mammoth at Silverton—
started late in 1962. This is the first such development in a number of years. The
Reeves MacDonald shaft was sunk to within 60 feet of sea-level to provide for
complete extraction of the Reeves orebody.
The production of zinc was above that of 1961 and fractionally above the
average for the past ten years.
The production of iron ore increased with the opening in 1962 of three new
mills at Kennedy Lake, Zeballos, and Jedway. The fact that the mine at Zeballos
was in financial difficulty by the end of the year serves to emphasize the fact that
considerable expense is incurred in bringing an iron-ore property into production
in the rugged terrain of coastal British Columbia. The Brynnor mine near Kennedy
Lake was brought into production at 3,000 tons of ore per day, twenty-seven months
after discovery of the deposit. In addition to the activity at Jedway, exploration
continued at Tasu Harbour and elsewhere on the Queen Charlotte Islands. A substantial magnetite deposit was diamond drilled on the Max property near the
The interest in molybdenite increased. The only development was at Boss
Mountain, but exploration was carried out in several localities. Deposits of low-
grade molybdenite mineralization at Endako were diamond drilled, and a staking
rush took place. About 1,800 claims were recorded in the general Endako area at
the end of 1962. Many groups were involved in staking and in surface exploration.
The main showings centre about the old Stella group, first located in 1927, where
the obviously large amounts of very low-grade material apparently warrant the
spending of large amounts of money to determine, by diamond-drill sampling,
whether commercial deposits exist.
There were 20,602 mineral claims located in the Province in 1962, 538 more
than in 1961.
The use of sensitized ammonium nitrate continued to increase, particularly in
underground mines. A factory licence was issued to The Consolidated Mining and
Smelting Company of Canada, Limited, to blend ammonium nitrate and fuel oil for
use in the Sullivan mine. Texada Mines Ltd. prepared to change its hon-mining
operation from open pit to underground when the present surface ore is exhausted.
A shaft was sunk, and workings were laid out. The first friction hoist in British
Columbia was installed in the Texada shaft. Several mines showed an interest in
the relatively new study of rock mechanics. Chief among these were the Jersey mine,
in connection with pillar extraction, and the Craigmont mine, with regard to both
open-pit stability and the laying-out of underground development workings. One of
the Inspectors of Mines attended a rock mechanics symposium in Minnesota in 1961.
A fire occurred in the No. 8 mine at Britannia. The mine was closed for a
short period while the section of No. 8 mine in which the fire occurred was sealed
off by mine-rescue crews. At the Bluebell mine, inflows of thermal water and carbon
dioxide continued to hamper development.
The helicopter, which has made much exploration work possible and has greatly
increased the efficiency of many preliminary operations, was put to a new use. W. E.
McArthur airlifted by helicopter 40 tons of high-grade gold ore from his operation
at the Tofino Gold Mines property on Tranquil Creek.
6 MINES AND PETROLEUM RESOURCES REPORT, 1962
NOTES ON METAL MINES
(59° 130° N.E.) Registered office, 133 East Fourteenth
Silver Tip (Pegasus Street, North Vancouver. E. P. Chapman, Jr., president.
Explorations This property of thirty-six recorded claims is about 4 miles
Limited) northeast of Tootsee Lake and 17 miles by road south of Mile
701 on the Alaska Highway. Work on the property commenced on May 14th and was suspended in July. An average crew of fourteen men
was employed under the direction of G. M. Hurd. An additional geophysical survey
was made and two holes were diamond drilled, totalling 829 feet. The property was
(59° 129° S.W.) Company office, 3100, 25 King Street
Star (Fort Reliance West, Toronto 1. J. A. Harquail, president; A. D. Wilmot,
Minerals Limited) exploration manager. The property is about 8 miles northwest of Cassiar, and consists of the Star group of twelve claims
held by option and five claims held by record. The mineralized zone has been
exposed in trenches, along a northerly trending contact of granite and limestone, for
a distance of about 300 feet. Molybdenite and minor amounts of pyrrhotite occur
mainly in the granite, which is altered near the contact.
Work in 1962 commenced in June and was suspended on September 1st. An
average crew of eight men was employed under the direction of S. Farquharson.
Fourteen AX holes, totalling 6,349 feet, were diamond drilled. Access to the
property was by jeep-road from the Cassiar mine road.
(59° 129° S.W.) Company office, 1519, 355 Burrard Street,
Vollaug Vancouver 1. R. W. Wilson, president; W. St. C. Dunn,
(Table Mountain engineer in charge. The property, which is essentially the old
Mines Limited) Vollaug group, consists of twelve Crown-granted claims and
six recorded claims. The claims are on Table Mountain,
about W2 miles south of McDame Lake. A gold-bearing quartz vein, known as
the Vollaug vein, can be traced on the surface for a reported distance of 6,000 feet.
The showings have been described in the 1937 Annual Report.
Work done between July 20th and August 20th consisted of trenching and
sampling. The work was done by four men. Access to the property was by jeep
from the Cassiar-Stewart road. The property was not visited.
[Reference: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1937, pp. B 24-B 34.]
(59° 129° S.W.) Head office, 401, 470 Granville Street,
Copco, Liz Vancouver 2; mine office, Cassiar. J. A. Hanna, president;
(Hanna Gold W. C. Hood, Jr., managing director. The property consists of
Mines Ltd.) the Copco and Liz groups, totalling seventy-seven claims held
by record. The claims he on the east slope of Quartzrock
Creek valley, 2 to 3 miles north of McDame Lake.
Work in 1962 commenced in April and continued for the remainder of the
year. Development of the 3600 level continued and comprised 1,621 feet of drift-
• By W. C. Robinson.
LODE METALS 7
ing and crosscutting. Work also included diamond drilling four holes underground,
totalling 1,068 feet. Preparation of the adit site for a proposed lower level and
500 feet of road construction to the site were completed. An average crew of eight
men was employed under the supervision of Donald Martin. The property is serviced by the Cassiar-Stewart road.
[Reference: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1947, pp. 70-72.]
(51° 132° N.E.) Southwest Potash Corporation holds eighty
Sam recorded mineral claims—the Sam Nos. 1 to 80—near the
headwaters of the Barrington River, approximately 35 miles
west of Telegraph Creek. The showings on this property are reported to contain
molybdenite mineralization. Work in 1962, which was carried out by an average
crew of six men under the direction of J. R. Loudon, commenced on June 20th and
was suspended on September 4th. Three AX holes, totalling 3,075 feet, were
diamond drilled. A hmited amount of geological mapping was done. Transportation was by fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter. The property was not visited.
(58° 131° S.W.) Kennco Explorations (Western) Limited
Kid holds twelve recorded mineral claims—the Kid Nos. 1 to
12—about 4 miles westerly from the junction of the Hackett
and Sheslay Rivers. It has been reported that chalcopyrite mineralization occurs
along a contact between a quartz diorite stock and volcanic rocks. Work on the
property commenced on June 4th and was terminated on June 25th. An average
crew of five men was employed under the direction of D. A. Barr. Work included
the drilling of four packsack holes, totalling 156 feet, and geophysical surveying.
Transportation was by fixed-wing aircraft to a small lake, about 4 miles southwest
of the property, and by helicopter. The property was not visited.
(57° 131° S.E.) Company office, 1111, 1030 West Georgia
Galore Creek Street, Vancouver 5. C. J. Sulhvan, president, Toronto; J. A.
(Kennco Gower, manager, Vancouver. This company holds a large
Explorations number of claims by record and sixteen claims by option from
(Western) Limited) Hudson Bay Exploration and Development Company Limited, all in the headwaters of Galore Creek, about 20 miles
southeast of the junction of the Stikine and Scud Rivers. Work during 1962 commenced on May 11th and was suspended on October 3rd. Thirty-nine holes, totalling 15,471 feet, were diamond drilled. Other work included geological mapping,
trenching, sampling, and geophysical surveying. Construction on the property
included the erection of a core-storage building and cabin storage. An average
crew of forty men was employed under the supervision of D. A. Barr.
Transportation to the property was by river-boat to the mouth of the Anuk
River and thence by helicopter. The property was not visited.
[Reference: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1961, p. 7.]
(57° 131° S.W.) Southwest Potash Corporation holds the
Decker 1 to 79 claims at the headwaters of Decker Creek,
which is an easterly flowing tributary of the Stikine River.
* By W. C. Robinson.
8 MINES AND PETROLEUM RESOURCES REPORT, 1962
Molybdenite mineralization is reported to be exposed over a considerable area.
Work on the property, which commenced on July 10th and was suspended on September 10th, included rock-trenching, sampling, and geological mapping. An
average crew of eight men was employed under the direction of D. Silversides.
Transportation was by river-boat to the mouth of Decker Creek and thence by helicopter to the property. The property was not visited.
Copper and Copper-Iron
(56° 130° S.E.) Company office, 604, 744 West Hastings
Granduc (Granduc Street, Vancouver 1. J. Drybrough, president; L. G. White,
Mines, Limited) mine manager. This company owns the Granduc property,
at the head of the Leduc River 25 miles north-northwest of
Stewart, and holds large groups of claims farther north in the Unuk River
district. Work at the Granduc mine was continuous during 1962, and former
underground development headings were extended in conjunction with exploratory
diamond drilling. Property examinations were continued, and diamond drilling
was done at two other properties, as noted below. A 4,000- by 200-foot compacted snow strip was prepared on the North Leduc glacier and airfreighting
commenced on February 4th. Two C-46 aircraft were used, and by May 4th 2,500
tons of freight had been transported from Stewart. A leased helicopter and chartered Beaver and Otter aircraft were also used to service the properties. Camp
accommodation was increased and included the construction of twelve 16- by 20-
foot prefabricated huts, two portable change-houses, a 30- by 60-foot Amfab style
warehouse, a 24- by 40-foot cook-house, and several temporary shop and storage
buildings. A portable sawmill, of 15,000 f.b.m. daily capacity, was erected near the
junction of Divelbliss Creek and the South Unuk River. An average crew of sixty-
five men was employed at the Granduc mine, and an average of ten men was
employed at the other properties.
The Granduc property comprises sixty-four Crown-granted and 180 recorded
claims. In 1962 the shaft was dewatered and a concrete water-bulkhead was installed on the 2475 level. The 3600 and 2475 levels were advanced, and a total of
2,533 feet of drifting and 1,564 feet of crosscutting was done. Underground work
included excavations for an underground power-house, dry, and explosive magazine.
Thirty-six AX holes, totalling 15,077 feet, were diamond drilled from underground.
Additional drilling, amounting to 6,145 feet, was done from the surface to determine
ice thickness in the south fork of the Leduc glacier, and seismic surveying was done
to determine ice thickness in the upper part of the Salmon glacier.
Max.—This group of 122 recorded claims extends northward from McQuillan
Ridge to Harrymel Creek. Mineralization consists of magnetite and pyrrhotite
associated with garnet-epidote skarn along a contact of diorite and limestone. In
1962 thirty-one EX holes, totalling 13,721 feet, were drilled from the surface.
A 25-ton bulk sample for metallurgical test work was obtained by stripping two
sections of the mineralized zone.
Ted Ray.—This group comprises seventy recorded claims on the north side of
Sulphurets glacier. Mineralization is reported to consist of minor chalcopyrite
associated with pyrite, sericite, carbonate, and quartz in a large altered area of a
syenite porphyry-volcanic complex. Work in 1962 included geological mapping and
the drilling of two EX holes, totalling 1,504 feet. The property was not visited.
• By W. C. Robinson.
(56° 127° S.E.) The F.C. group of nineteen claims on the
west side of Motase Lake is held by Huestis Mining Corporation Ltd., and during 1962 was under option to Noranda
Exploration Company Limited. It has been reported that the
property is underlain by interbedded tuffs and sediments cut
by calcareous dykes, dioritic intrusions, and quartz veins. Some of the quartz veins
are reported to contain values in gold and silver. Work in 1962 included geological
mapping, geophysical surveying, prospecting, and the diamond drilling of five holes
totalling 302 feet. Transportation to Motase Lake was by aircraft based at Fort
St. James. It is reported that the option has been dropped. The property was not
Salmon River (56° 130° S.E.)
Company office, 844 West Hastings Street, Vancouver 1.
Silbak Premier A. E. Bryant, president; H. Hill & L. Starck & Associates
Mines Limited Ltd., consulting engineers. The property has been described
in previous Annual Reports. Work in 1962, which was carried out by a crew of seven men under the supervision of D. McLeod, commenced
on June 15th and was suspended on November 30th. During the summer thirteen
holes, totalling 800 feet, were diamond drilled. Mining of the high-grade oreshoot
in the south wall of the Premier glory-hole was continued, and 465 tons of ore was
shipped to the smelter at East Helena, Montana. The washed-out sections of the
road to Stewart were by-passed by travelling the gravel bars of the Salmon River
at low water.
JO and IM
(Newconex Canadian Exploration
(55° 130° N.E.) Company office, 914, 525 Seymour Street,
Vancouver 2. B. I. F. Breaky, president; J. Sullivan, engineer in charge of property. This company holds the JO and
IM groups, totalling 127 recorded claims. The JO group lies
in the area between the Georgia River and the Portland
Canal. The IM group lies eastward and mainly on the
eastern side of the Georgia River.
Work in 1962, which was carried out by an average crew of eight men, commenced on May 15th and was suspended on October 15th. Initial work consisted
of 4 miles of trail construction. This was followed by geological mapping, trenching, and sampling, plus magnetometer and electromagnetic surveying.
The property was serviced by pack-dogs and airdrops.
(55° 129° N.W.) Company office, 617, 837 West Hastings
Street, Vancouver 1. F. C. Buckland, president; H. Bapty,
engineer in charge. The company holds twenty-one Crown-
granted claims, seven recorded claims, and seven optioned
claims. The properties include the Dolly Varden, Torbrit, and Wolf groups. The
* By W. C. Robinson.
10 MINES AND PETROLEUM RESOURCES REPORT, 1962
Dolly Varden property is on the west slope of Kitsault Valley and on top of Dolly
Varden Mountain, between 1,000 and 2,200 feet elevation. The Wolf property is
on the east slope and bottom of Kitsault Valley about one-quarter of a mUe south of
Trout Creek. The 1951 Annual Report describes the geology and mineral occurrences of the Upper Kitsault Valley.
Work commenced in April and continued throughout the remainder of 1962.
The old Torbrit camp, power-line, and hydro-power plant were rehabilitated. Other
work included 930 feet of diamond drilling on the Dolly Varden property and 2,322
feet of diamond drilling on the Wolf property. Underground development on the
North Star workings commenced in November, and by the end of the year a raise
had been driven 51 feet. The number of men employed ranged from eighty during
the summer to twenty during the winter. Transportation to the Torbrit camp was
by truck from Alice Arm.
QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS*
(53° 132° S.W.) This property, originally called the North-
Magnet (Mastodon- wester, consists of eleven claims and is about 1 mile north
Highland Bell of the head of Van Harbour. It can be reached by tractor-
Mines Limited) road and trail from Shields Bay on Rennell Sound. The
showings occur at about 2,000 feet elevation and consist of
skarn deposits in the Kunga limestone, which is cut by andesitic sills and dykes of the
Yakoun Formation and by numerous steep faults. The contact with the Kano
batholith is about 500 feet below the showing on the steep hillside. The irregular
skarn areas contain some showings of massive chalcopyrite. During June and July
a party of three men mapped the area and conducted magnetometer and electromagnetic surveys.
[Reference: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1928, p. 64.]
Dal (Mastodon-Highland Bell Mines Limited).—(53° 132° S.W.) This
property is on Gudal Bay on the exposed southwest coast of Graham Island. The
property consists of thirty-two claims. A party of three men during August prospected iron-copper skarns in Kunga limestone remnants in this area.
(52° 131° S.E.) Silver Standard Mines Limited, 808, 602
Garnett West Hastings Street, Vancouver 2, holds five located claims
under option agreement. The property is east of Gowing
Island in Tasu Sound. The showings are reported to contain magnetite and chalcopyrite, occurring in volcanics and along the base of a limestone deposit. Irregular
pods and veins of sphalerite occur within the limestone. Work done on the property, between November 12th and December 10th, consisted of drilling four pack-
sack holes totalling 213 feet, trenching, and magnetometer surveying. The work
was under the direction of W. St. C. Dunn, and was carried out by three men.
Transportation to Tasu Sound was by aircraft based at Sandspit. A 32-foot boat
was used in Tasu Sound. The property was not visited.
* By A. Sutherland Brown, except as noted,
t By W. C. Robinson.
(52° 132° N.E.) Head office, 7 King Street East, Toronto;
Vancouver office, 504, 1112 West Pender Street. P. N.
Pitcher, president; G. K. Polk, resident geologist. Wesfrob
Mines Limited is a subsidiary of Falconbridge Nickel Mines
Limited. The property is on Tasu Sound near the entrance of Fairfax Inlet and
consists of twenty-one Crown-granted and twenty-seven recorded claims.
Exploration continued throughout the year by surface diamond drilling and
magnetometer surveys and detailed geological mapping. One hundred and fourteen
AX holes were drilled, with a total of 36,587 feet. An access road about 1 Vi miles
long was built from the camp at sea-level to the upper ore zone (No. 3) at 1,300
feet. A new 40-man bunk-house was built.
[References: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Repts., 1913, pp. 96-97; 1956,
pp. 125-127; 1961, pp. 11-13; Western Miner, October, 1959, pp. 38-44.]
(Jedway Iron Ore
(52° 131° S.E.) Head office, 507, 1111 West Georgia
Street, Vancouver 5; mine office, Jedway. L. T. Postle,
president; J. M. Stitt, manager; N. G. Cornish, mine
superintendent; F. G. Gillet, mill superintendent. Harriet
Harbour is on Skincuttle Inlet, on the southeastern coast of
Moresby Island, and is 70 miles south of Sandspit. The properties on Harriet
Harbour consist of twelve Crown-granted claims, fifty-nine recorded claims, and
one optioned claim. The geology is described in previous Annual Reports.
Mining is by conventional open-pit methods, maintaining a 30-foot bench.
Drilling is done with one Ingersoll-Rand drillmaster and two Gardner-Denver air-
track drills. The bulk of the explosive used is AN/FO. Two 2.V2- and one W2-
cubic-yard capacity Northwest shovels are used to load the broken material onto
nine 20-ton Euclid rear-dump trucks. The ore is trucked to a 60- by 48-inch Tray-
lor primary crusher near the lower limit of the proposed open pit. In 1961 an adit
was driven beneath the orebody and a raise driven to reach the surface near the
primary crusher. The product from the primary crusher, which is minus 6 inches
in size, passes into the raise, or ore-pass, and is delivered to the mill by trains of
eight 10-ton cars.
The concentrating plant is located near the ship-loading terminal. The product delivered from the primary crusher is conveyed to a double-deck screen, the
minus %-inch product being passed directly to a single-deck Dillon dewatering
screen. Minus 8 mesh slime material is pumped to a D.S.M. screen in the wet
grinding circuit, by-passing the rod mill. The oversize product from the dewatering
screen is conveyed to a fine-ore storage. The plus %-inch oversize from the primary
screen passes to a standard Symons cone crusher. The crusher discharge is conveyed to a single-deck Dillon screen. Screen undersize is conveyed over an electromagnetic drum separator, which makes a three-way split. Waste is discharged, ore
is conveyed to the fine-ore stockpile, and high-grade concentrate is directed into the
concentrate circuit. Plus %-inch oversize from the single-deck screen is passed over
a magnetic pulley. Non-magnetic waste is discharged, and the magnetic material is
passed to a Symons Short Head crusher. The crusher discharge is conveyed to the
fine-ore stockpile. Material from the fine-ore stockpile is ground by an 8- by 12-foot
rod mill. The rod-mill discharge is pumped to the D.S.M. screen, and the screen
undersize is fed to two Sala triple-drum wet permanent magnetic separators. The
magnetic concentrate is passed to a 72-inch Akins classifier. The classifier sands are
* By W. C. Robinson.
• 3 .-»
conveyed directly to the concentrate stockpile, while the classifier overflow is de-
watered with the aid of an Allen cone and an American type filter. From the
100,000-ton capacity concentrate stockpile the material is conveyed to the loading-
dock for shipment to Japan. The " Harriet Maru," on her maiden voyage, sailed
with the first load of concentrates on October 27, 1962.
During 1962 the milling plant and dock loading facilities were constructed,
and milling commenced in September; 2,562,000 tons of waste material was
removed, 166,430 tons of ore was mined, and 53,515 tons of concentrate produced.
The average number of men employed was 102. The camp is supplied by Northland
Navigation freighter as well as by barge. Transportation of personnel is by aircraft
[References: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Repts., 1959, pp. 11-14; 1960,
pp. 11-12; 1961, pp. 13-15; B.C. Dept. of Mines, Prel. Geol. Map, Southern
Queen Charlotte Islands, I960.]
(52° 131° N.W.) This property consists of nine Crown-
Iron Duke* granted and two recorded claims. The property, which is
about 2Vi miles west of Girard Point on the northeast coast
of Louise Island, has been described in the 1961 Annual Report. During January
and February, 1962, fifteen AX holes, totalling 3,054 feet, were drilled by Magnum
Consolidated Mining Co. Ltd.
In the spring of 1962 the property was optioned by Silver Standard Mines
Limited. Work on the property commenced on June 1st and was suspended on
July 10th. Eight men were employed under the direction of A. C. Ritchie. Thirty-
three EX holes, totalling 4,805 feet, were drilled.
Ore reserves calculated by the company from all the drilling are 515,000 tons
of 45 per cent iron as magnetite with a probable 100,000 tons. The company feels
that the drilling established that the ore does not extend beyond the area of notable
magnetic anomaly and that the favourable stratigraphy is cut off below by relatively
flat-lying granitic rocks.
Transportation to Louise Island was by landing-barge and aircraft from Sand-
spit. A helicopter was used between the beach and the camp at the 1,500-foot
elevation. The property was not visited.
[References: Geol. Surv., Canada, 1926, Iron Ores of Canada, Vol. 1, pp.
27-30; Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1961, p. 17.]
(52° 131° S.E.) Head office, 502, 1200 West Pender
Street, Vancouver 1. This property is on the southeast
point of Burnaby Island about W2 miles south of Poole
Point. It was discovered in 1961 by Denison Mines Limited
by aeromagnetic mapping, but claims then located were
allowed to lapse. The showing was relocated by Highland Bell in September, 1962,
with nine claims. The claims include the old Poole showings, which were first
investigated in 1862-63.
A magnetic anomaly of about 1,000 gammas is centred just off the shore near
the southeastern point of Burnaby Island. No magnetite body is exposed. Adjacent
rocks on the shore are sugary fine white marbles of the basal Kunga Formation and
* By W. C. Robinson and A. Sutherland Brown.
14 MINES AND PETROLEUM RESOURCES REPORT, 1962
andesitic sills, which together strike northeastward and dip 10 to 25 degrees northwestward. A contact with the Burnaby stock of quartz monzonite to monzonite
occurs on the shore about 2,000 feet north of the centre of the anomaly. The area
is cut by steep block faults of small movement, many striking about north 75 degrees
west and about north 25 degrees west. Several small garnet skarn zones occurring
at the contacts of sills and limestone contain chalcopyrite and magnetite. These
were the target of Poole's work a hundred years ago.
Highland Bell surveyed the area with a ground magnetometer in the fall of
1962 and commenced drilling angle holes on the shore in January, 1963.
(52° 131° S.E.) Company office, 404, 510 West Hastings
Mac (Merrican Street, Vancouver 2. This property consists of twelve recorded
International claims that cover showings described by Young and Uglow
Mines Ltd.) under the heading " Burnaby Island." The showings are
IVa miles southwest of Scudder Point. They may be reached
by W2 miles of trail from either of two exposed bays on the northeast coast of
Burnaby Island. The showings occur between 250 feet and 400 feet elevation on
the north side of a large stream flowing to the northern of the two bays. No outcrops occur below the lowest showing, and overburden mantles much of the area.
The showings are in the upper part of the basal Kunga limestone, which strikes
about north 70 degrees east and dips about 35 degrees north. The limestone is
overlain by the thin-bedded calcareous argillites of the formation that contain the
distinctive pelecypod Halobia. Limestone and argillite are cut by a number of dark-
green fine-grained amygdaloidal dykes, one of which is about 50 feet wide and has a
trace that strikes about east and hence on the surface truncates the beds at an acute
angle. Monzonite of the Burnaby stock outcrops east of a gully 350 feet east of the
The showings consist of four outcrops of relatively pure magnetite, primarily in
the limestone. The main showing is a sill-like body that outcrops along the hillside
for 70 feet and ranges in width from 5 feet at the west to 25 feet at the east, where it
abuts the large basic dyke. The western end is covered. Just east of the large dyke
and some 70 feet from the main showing and at about the same elevation a narrow
dyke-like body of magnetite occurs in limestone. Another body up to 4 feet wide
and about 45 feet long occurs in limestone about 50 feet below and slightly to the
west of the main showing. This body is steeply dipping, is covered at the east, and
abuts a dyke on the west. The fourth showing consists of a small body in the large
basic dyke adjacent to limestone and about 75 feet above and 75 feet to the west of
the main showing.
During the year the company carried out a ground magnetometer survey and
drilled ten short EX holes.
[Reference: Young and Uglow, Iron Ores of Canada, Vol. I, Geol. Surv.,
Canada, pp. 32-33.]
(54° 128° S.W.) Quebec Metallurgical Industries Ltd.,
Iron Mountain 2200, 25 King Street West, Toronto, holds four Crown-
granted and nine recorded mineral claims on magnetite
showings on the south side of Iron Mountain. The magnetite occurs in three zones.
The property has been described in the 1961 Annual Report.
* By W. C. Robinson.
In 1962 exploration work on the upper zone was continued. Seventeen EX
holes, averaging about 400 feet long, and ten packsack-drill holes, averaging 70 feet
long, were drilled. The work, which was carried out by a crew of ten men under the
direction of H. S. Lazenby, commenced in April and was suspended in October,
Transportation to the base camp, which was near the Wedeene River crossing
of the Terrace-Kitimat branch of the Canadian National Railway, was by rail.
Transportation to the drill camp, which had been established on Iron Mountain at
an elevation of 1,800 feet, was by helicopter and back-packing.
[Reference: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1961, pp. 17-18.]
(54° 128° N.W.) Kootenay Base Metals Ltd., 510 West
Ike Hastings Street, Vancouver 2, holds twenty-two recorded
claims in an area previously covered by the Beaver group.
The property is at an elevation of about 4,000 feet, on a ridge of a mountain north of
Mayo Creek, 7 miles west of Kitsumkalum Lake. The showings consist of a ribboned quartz vein which is contained in a strong northeasterly striking shear. The
vein shows sulphide mineralization, including, in order of abundance, pyrite, arsenopyrite, galena, and chalcopyrite.
Work on the property during 1962 commenced in June and was suspended in
October. Initial work consisted of diamond drilling two holes to intersect the vein
about 75 feet below ground-level. Core recovery was poor, and the vein was further
explored by driving 202 feet of adit about 150 feet lower in elevation than the main
surface outcrop. The number of men employed varied from two to seven. The
property can be reached by a logging-road from Terrace to Mayo Creek and thence
by a 5-mile trail. However, transportation was mainly by helicopter based at
(54° 128° S.E.) This property consists of eight claims
Northwest located by L. Belliveau and associates and forty claims lo
cated by Cariboo Gold Quartz Mining Company Limited.
It was known as the Northwest group in a report in the 1914 Annual Report. The
property is at an elevation of about 4,000 feet on the southerly slope of a high
mountain range that forms the divide between the Zymoetz River and the headwaters
of Kleanza Creek. The showings have been described in the 1914 Annual Report.
During November, 1962, some trenching and sampling was done under the
direction of Marcel Guiget. Transportation was by helicopter. The property was
[Reference: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1914, pp. K 118-K 119.]
Silver Standard (Silver Standard Mines Limited).—(55° 127° S.W.) Company office, 808, 602 West Hastings Street, Vancouver 2. R. W. Wilson, president.
The property is on Glen Mountain, 5V2 miles north of Hazelton. The mine was
• By W. C. Robinson.
16 MINES AND PETROLEUM RESOURCES REPORT, 1962
leased by Paul Kindrat, of Smithers. Fifty-two tons of silver-lead ore was shipped
to the Trail smelter in 1962.
(54° 127° N.E.) Executive office, 1270 Avenue of the
Glacier Gulch Americas, New York 20. F. Coolbaugh, president; R. E.
(Southwest Potash Anderson, geologist in charge. The company holds a total of
Corporation) 224 claims and fractions on Hudson Bay Mountain: thirty
under option from W. Yorke-Hardy and partners, about 190
located claims and fractions, and fourteen Crown-granted claims under a lease
agreement. The property is in the cirque at the head of Glacier Gulch on Hudson
Bay Mountain. The showings consist of widespread low-grade molybdenite mineralization outcropping principally near the toe of the glacier. Mineralization occurs
primarily in association with quartz veinlets and is present in both volcanic and
During 1962 a camp was established on the glacier below the ice-fall. Movement of ice below the ice-fall was negligible, and eight vertical AX holes, totalling
14,700 feet, were diamond drilled from the surface of the glacier. An average crew
of twenty-one men was employed from June to November. The camp was supplied
by pack-horse, helicopter, and fixed-wing aircraft.
[Reference: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1958, pp. 10-11.]
(54° 126° N.W.) Company office, 844 West Hastings
Cronin (New Street, Vancouver 1. L. C. Creery, president; H. Hill & L.
Cronin Babine Starck & Associates Ltd., consulting mining engineers. The
Mines Limited) property is on the east slope of Cronin Mountain, about 30
miles by road from Smithers. A description of the property
was given in the 1949 Annual Report. During 1962 P. Kindrat, lessee, is reported
to have mined approximately 400 tons of ore and driven about 40 feet of raise. The
mill was not operated during 1962, and no concentrate or ore was shipped.
(54° 126° N.E.) Head office, 1111 West Georgia Street,
McDonald Island Vancouver 5. L. T. Postle, president. The property, which
(Granisle Copper has been described in previous Annual Reports, is on Mc-
Company Limited) Donald Island, in the northern section of Babine Lake at the
mouth of Hagan Arm. Previous diamond drilling has defined
a low-grade copper deposit of considerable size. During 1962 three long cross-
cutting holes, totalling 1,648 feet, were diamond drilled to provide material for
milling tests. Topographic surveying and testing of overburden were also carried
out during 1962. The work was done by a crew of seven men under the direction
of K. C. Fahrni. The property was serviced by boat from Topley Landing.
(55° 124° N.E.) Twenty-four mineral claims, Troy 1 to 20
Floyd and Glo 1 to 4, are held under option by Southwest Potash
Corporation from A. E. Floyd, of Manson Creek. The
• By W. C. Robinson.
showing is about 2 miles southeast of Manson Creek Post Office. It consists of
scheelite-bearing quartz veins lying in the Manson Creek fault zone. Work between
September 1st and September 20th was done by three men and included trenching,
sampling, and geological mapping.
(53° 127° S.E.) Phelps Dodge Corporation of Canada
C A F B Limited, 404, 1112 West Pender Street, Vancouver 1, holds
by record fifty-five mineral claims extending northward from
Haven (Bone) Lake toward the summit of Red Bird Mountain. Haven Lake is 8
miles west of Pondosy Bay on Eutsuk Lake. The claims cover a small stock of
granite porphyry which contains some molybdenite mineralization.
During August and September, 1962, work included rock trenching and magnetic and induced potential surveying. Six men were employed under the direction
of W. Meyer. Transportation was by fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter.
[Reference: Minister of Mines, B.C., Ann. Rept., 1960, p. 14.]
(54° 125° S.E.) Company office, 1218 Burrard Building,
Endako (Endako 1030 West Georgia Street, Vancouver 5. Andrew Robert-
Mines Ltd.) son, president; R. C. Coutts, resident manager. Endako
Mines Ltd. holds fifty-seven claims covering molybdenite
showings south of Endako, which originally were known as the Stella. A drill camp,
core rack, and shed were established on the ground in the summer of 1962. The
camp is reached by following the Nithi Lake road to a point 3 miles south of Highway No. 16 at Endako, thence westward about 4 miles along old logging-roads.
Surface trenching, an inclined shaft, and an adit were dug in the 1930's by the
locator, C. H. Foote, of Fraser Lake. In 1952 the ground was under option to
Kennco Explorations (Western) Limited, who did a small amount of bulldozer
stripping. Assessment work was recorded by them in advance to 1957, at which
time the original claims were allowed to lapse. Later, key claims were acquired by
C. Riley and H. T. James, of Vancouver, from whom they were acquired by the
The immediate area is underlain by coarse pink granite of the Topley Intrusions. These intrusions underlie an area some 80 miles long in a northwesterly
direction and 15 to 20 miles wide.
The granite as seen in surface trenches and diamond-drill core is remarkably
uniform in grain and composition, although varying somewhat in the type and
intensity of hydrothermal alteration. Two types are obvious: one the change of pink
colour of the orthoclase to brick red, and the other the alteration of the sodic plagio-
clase largely to pale-green hydro-mica, sericite, and carbonate. Variation in intensity
of alteration is seen in the drill core, but, on the basis of the amount of diamond-drill
core seen, the intensity could not be related to known or inferred shear or fracture
structures in the granite nor could it be correlated with the distribution and amount
of molybdenite mineralization.
In surface trenches and in diamond-drill core the pink granite is seen to be cut
by dykes a few feet or a few tens of feet wide of white to pale pinkish-brown quartz
feldspar porphyry having phenocrysts of quartz and feldspar in a dense to fine-
• By W. C. Robinson.
t By Stuart S. Holland.
18 MINES AND PETROLEUM RESOURCES REPORT, 1962
grained matrix. Although there are similarities in the several dykes seen, there are
nevertheless distinctions to be made microscopically between those having a fine
even-grained groundmass and those which are brecciated or granophyric. The
dykes are fractured, and some are mineralized with molybdenite.
The surface showings consist of the old Foote incline shaft and several trenches
on a quartz molybdenite vein on the crest of a low ridge, closely spaced open cuts
on flat or gently dipping veins to the southeast on the lower slope of the same ridge,
and bulldozed trenches on a quartz molybdenite vein on a ridge 650 feet to the
northwest, across a swamp from the Foote incline.
The Foote incline and associated open cuts expose a quartz molybdenite vein
striking north 70 degrees east and dipping 55 to 60 degrees southeast. The quartz
vein ranges in width up to 3 feet. It is a silicification vein along a shear zone with
the parting planes of the ribboned quartz occupied by fine-grained molybdenite.
Six closely spaced open cuts 300 feet southwest of the Foote incline expose
several quartz veins, maximum width 16 inches, ribboned and well mineralized