BC Historical Newspapers

BC Historical Newspapers Logo

BC Historical Newspapers

Slocan Prospector. Supplement 1895-03-16

Item Metadata


JSON: slocanp-1.0083883.json
JSON-LD: slocanp-1.0083883-ld.json
RDF/XML (Pretty): slocanp-1.0083883-rdf.xml
RDF/JSON: slocanp-1.0083883-rdf.json
Turtle: slocanp-1.0083883-turtle.txt
N-Triples: slocanp-1.0083883-rdf-ntriples.txt
Original Record: slocanp-1.0083883-source.json
Full Text

Full Text

 ^"1,V;- u-v.
Price   of  Supplernent  IO  Cer|ts.
THREE FORKS, B. C. MARCH 16, 1895.
Accurate and  Comprehensive  Description
of the Treasure Vaults which Have
Made the District Famous.
Wrillen for The Slocan PROSPECTOR,
By Randall II. Kemp.
The first mineral discoveries made in
that   region   of country   lying  between
Kootenay and Slocan  lakes was in  the
year 1891.    Previous to that time however,
hardy prospectors had  pushed their way
up Kaslo river  as far as  Bear and   Pish
lakes un the summit,  and, in a measure,
had searched for mineral wealth on the
adjacent mountain sides.    No finds of importance were ever reported by these early
day   Wanderers.    Parties   had   also traversed up the Slocan river in canoes and
explored the shores of Slocan lake.    As
none of these pioneers brought back any
evidences of mineral  wealth existing  in
the  country,   naturally  prospectors and
others   considered   it   barren.    In    1890,
John (Lardo) McDonald and John Allen,
while hunting and trapping ou what is
now known as Blue Ridge Creek,  ten
miles west of Kaslo,   found and located
the Trapper,  Beaver and other claims in
what   was afterward called the Jardine
camp.    But little was known of the value
of these claims until August 1891,   when
Andrew Jardine paid them a visit and returned to Ainsworth, on Kootenay lake,
with some samples which assayed about
171 ounces in silver.    Quite a number of
prospectors were ou the lake at the time
and all were eager for a new excitement.
Soon the hills of Kaslo slope were swarming with men searching for surface indications of the hidden treasures far down in
the bowels of mother earth.    It remained
for John L/, Seaton and Eli Carpenter to
make the first discoveries 011 the Slocan
slope.    On September y. they found ami
located the Payne.    They secured  samples of the galena, and, in due course of
time, returned  to Ainsworth.    Both appeared to pay so little attention  to the
find, the Kaslo river excitement having
died out, that it was some days before the
ore was tested.    When it became known
that the ore was exceptionally high grade
both in silver and lead, the wildest excitement prevailed and a genuine old fashioned mining stampede was the  result.
J. G. McGuigan, W. M. and J. J. Hennessy
and Frank Flint secured the services of
J. L. Seaton as guide and those five made
a rush for the new eldorado.   They locat
ed a number of claims around  the Payne,
and were  on  the return  trip,  when  on
September   28,   they walked   upon  the
croppings   of  the   Bonanza   King   and
World's Fair claims of the  Noble  Five
group.    All those claims were staked ou
that date.    Eli Carpenter and a  companion thought to reach the scene of the discovery sooner by way of the Slocan   river
and lake, but found ou their arrival  that
everything of value in the  neighborhood
had been   located.    The   return   of  the
Noble Five crowd to Ainsworth and the
result of the astonishingly high assays of
their samp.es  intensified the excitement
until  it became in reality a craze.    The
winter's snows were beginning to fall in
the mountains, yet this,   nor the fact that
the entire country was an unbroken wilderness, and that provisions, bedding, tools
etc.. had to be packed  upon their backs,
did not serve to dampen the ardor of the
tireless searchers after the newly discovered   fountains   of  wealth.    Before   the
first of January  1892, one hundred and
forty claims were located and recorded.
S. S. Bailey,  the  first representative  of
capital to visit the district,  examined and
purchased the Payne group within  one
month after it was located, and  is the
principal owner of that valuable and productive property to this day.
The question of trails to the mines at
once arose in the public mind and the
festive townsite promoter was soon on
The business men of Nelson immediately began the construction of a trail
up the Slocan river and in a month had
it completed to a point where boats
could be laden and rowed to the mouth
of Carpenter creek, where the town of
New Denver is now located. The government started a trail up Kaslo river but
it was only completed four or five miles
when work was suspended ou account of
the appropriation giving out. It wasj
however, extended six or seven miles
farther by the parties owning the town-
site of Kaslo, and completed in the
spring to Bear lake. With the advent of
warm weather and the disappearance of
the snow the spring of 1892, prospectors,
miners and capitalists began to flock
into the district.   On account of the sea
son being backward many left discouraged
and spoke in no manner encouragingly
about the future of the country. A trail
was built that spring from Nakusp, ou
Upper Arrow lake, to the head of Slocan
lake, and during the summer trails were
built connecting with the principal mines
so that the matter of getting in supplies
by pack train was comparaiively easy.
Development work soon proved the
existence of such quantities of high grade
ore that better means of transportation
became a necessity. Ore was being
shipped from the Freddy Lee, Dardanelles and other mines. The citizens of
Kaslo by wonderful energy and united
effort pledged the sum of |20,ooo to construct a wagon road from that town on
Kootenay lake to the summit at Bear
Lake. The work was commenced the
latter part of September and by December
sleighs were running as far as Three
Forks and on up the south fork of Carpenter creek to the mouth of Cody creek.
The Nakusp and Slocau railway was
commenced in July, 1893, and finally
completed to Three Forks in October,
The hull of the steamer W. Hunter was
built of whip-sawed lumber oft Slocau
lake early in the spring of 1892, but on
account of the failure of the company
from whom the machinery was ordered,
the boat was not ready for business until
late in the fall. Since that time, however,
she has been in continuous service and is
a gTeal convenience to mine owners and
others in the vicinity of Slocau lake.
It is now authoritively stated that the
Kaslo-Slocan railway from Kaslo, on
Kootenay lake, to the mouth of Sandon
creek, will be completed and in operation
by the first of September of this year.
Up to January I, 1893, in round
numbers about 1,000 tons of ore were
shipped, six car loads going out by way
of Nakusp and the remainder via Kaslo.
With the early summer of 1893 came the
great slump in the price of silver which
paralyzed the entire financial world and
for a time gave the Slocan country a
serious setback. However, during the
summer and fall the shipments amounted
to about 1,000 additional tons and it was
demonstrated that the majority of the
mines would pay a profit with silver in
the neighborhood of 60 cents per ounce,
hence during the year 1893 there was
shipped from Kaslo 3,088'j' tons, valued
at #418,232; containing 3,598,767 pounds
of lead and 479,782 ounces of silver.
That which went out vin Nakusp we
have no account.
The total shipments from September 13,
1894, until March 1, 1895, aggregated
5,991 tons, of which 3.369 tons were
shipped via Nakusp and 622 tons to Kaslo.
The grand total estimated value being
#718,920. Daily Bhipments are still being
m idc and will now continue indefinitely
as the country has the advantage of rail-
,way communication.
The Slocan subdivision of West Kootenay district  embraces both sides of the
dividing ridge of the Selkirk mountains
between Kootenay and Slocan lakes.
On the west side, or in Slocan mining
district proper, the recording office is at
New Denver, Alex Sproat, recorder.    On
he east slope, in Ainsworth recording
district, the office is at Kaslo, and John
Keen is recorder.
To reach the district from any point
touched by the Canadian Pacific railway,
it is necessary to leave that road at Revelstoke, thence proceed down the Columbia
river by the Revelstoke and Arrow Lake
railway to the head of upper Arrow lake,
thence by steamer to Nakusp and by rail
on the Nakusp-Slocau railway to any desired point. Should the traveler desire to
visit any place ou Slocan lake the steamer
connects with all trains at Roseberry.
From the United States there is the
choice of two routes. The Great Northern railway connects with steamers ou
the upper Kootenay river, touching at
Kaslo, the passenger, until the Kaslo-
Slocau railway is completed, can travel to
the mines 011 a first-class stage line or by
saddle animal.
From Spokane the Spokane and Northern and Nelson and Fort Sheppard is
taken to Nelson, thence by steamer to
One of the most difficult features of the
country to describe, without the aid of a
chart, is the geological formation in
which the many mineralized veins occur;
but it is made up mainly of argillaceous
slates and different forms of lime, cut at
various angles by eruptive dykes. The
mineralized portion of the district is
about 20 miles in length ami 12 miles in
breadth, although isolated claims have
been struck outside this ana, as will appear further on. The general trend of
the formation is northerly and southerly,
dipping to the southwest at different
angles. As a rule the strongest veins
cut the formation obliquely, cleaviug any
obtrusive dykes of porphyry, serpentine,
or other material, thus demonstrating to
all practical minds that they are true fissures beyond doubt and carry their valuable metalliferous contents to great
depths. The formation of the country
aud the gaiigue matter or vein filling is
quite soft, all mining being done by the
single handed method. To the south
and west the district is bordered by
granite formation, on the east by schistose, and on the north by trachyte.
All of the Main Producers and Many
of   the   Prospective   nines
This property comprises a group of
claims located on Sandon creek, a tributary of the south fork of Carpenter creek.
distant from Three Porks about 5 miles.
The claims are the Slocau Star, Slocau
King, Jennie and Silversmith. Date of
location October 7, 1891. Formation
slate, which the vein cuts obliquely, trend
of lode northeast and south west. Since
acquiring control of the mine the present
owners have expended all their energies
on its development so as to make it a
steady and profitable producer for many
long years to come. The immense ledge,
on account of running with and dipping
into the mountain, is worked to better
advantage by  cross  cut tunnels.    No.  1 tunnel is 70 feet in length and cuts the
vein 70 feet vertically below the surface.
No. 2 tunnel is 45 feet vertical below No.
1, and is 90 feet in length. No. 3 tunnel
is 135 feet below No. 2, or a total vertical
distance from the outcrop of 250 feet.
Tunnel No. 4. is now being driven
toward the vein and will be a perpendicular depth of at least 425 feet when completed. Upraises and winzes connect all
tunnels so that the ventilation and facilities for handling the product are perfect.
Tunnel no. 3 has been thus far the main
avenue through which the mine has been
worked. The vein at this point is found
50 to 60 feet in width. An average of 12
feet on the hanging wall being first class,
simply having to be broken, sacked and
shipped. A winze is now being sunk to
meet the lower tunnel when it reaches
the ledge.
Over 2500 tons of ore have been shipped
from this mine since October 1894. The
owners are the Byron N. White Mining
Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a
close corporation, consisting of Byron N.
and Bruce White and 2 eastern parties.
It is capitalized at #500,000.
Location three miles from Sandon, being the second westerly extensions of the
Slocan Star vein and adjoining the
Canadian group. The formation is
principally slate which the vein cuts
obliquely on a north-east and south-west
trend. The vein ranges in width from
eight to twelve feet. Number 3, or upper
tunnel, is a cross cut for 60 feet, when
the vein was penetrated a drift was run
on the vein fifty feet; here the ledge is 6
feet wide. Number 2 tunnel, 75 feet
vertically below No. 3, was driven 96
feet as a cross cut and a drift, has been
run over 100 feet on the vein. The
company began operations in July 1894.
They have done no stoping, simply development work. All the openings show
bodies of concentrating ore and kidneys
of clean ore. There has been shipped
thirty tons from which the returns had
not been received. Assays have yielded
from 216 to 778 ounces silver, and the
galena carries from 75 to 81 per cent lead.
Some beautiful gray copper and peacock
ore is frequently found. This spring two
working tunnels will be started lower
down the mountain. The company intend to connect their property with a
concentrator to be erected on Sandon
creek by bucket tramway. The Minnesota Silver Co., limited, of Duluth,
Minnesota, are the owners. This company is incorporated under the laws of
Minnesota. A. E. Humphrey is president and Frank Cox, secretary and treasurer. The capitalization is #1,000,000, all
the stock being held by eastern people.
Captain Donnally is the superintendant
of th? property.
These two claims ou the same ledge
are between the Slocau Star and the Ivanhoe. They are owned by J. S. Blackeller
and W. C. Yawkey. Extensive development work will be commenced as soon
as the weather permits. All ore extracted will be transported by bucket tramway
from the mines to the contemplated new
concentrator ou Sandon creek'
The location of this property is in the
Idaho basin on the Carpenter creek slope
of the divide between Carpenter and
Four-Mile creeks. The two locations are
parallel and are developed by five tunnels running in ou the veins, which
aggregate a total length of 700 feet. Formation slate and porphyry with a northeast and southwest strike. Since the
present owners acquired control they
have mined and shipped in clean ore 750
tons, averageing 140 ounces in silver and
65 per cent. lead.   They now have sacked
at the mine seven tons of ore, consisting
principally of grey copper and antimonial
silver, which carries 3,000 ounces silver
to the ton. Immense quantities of concentrating ore has been developed and
and shipments are being regularly made
to the concentrator. The ore as it comes
from the mine will concentrate from two
to three tons into one. This property is
owned by Capt. N. 1). Moore, W. C.
Yawkey, A. E. Humphrey, George W.
Hughes and J. D Farrall.
The Alamo group, consisting of the
Alamo, Twin Lakes and Ivy Leaf, is situated in the Twin Lakes basin. The development consists of three tunnels on
the Alamo vein aggregating 800 feet in
length. Formation slate and prophyry,
trend northeast and southwest. Since
the present company secured control only
60 tons of first-class ore has been shipped,
Which aggregated 140 ounces silver and
65 per cent. lead. Hereafter the entire
product of the mine will be sent to the
concentrator. Present output 45 tons
daily. The property will be connected
with the concentrator at the mouth of
Howson creek by a bucket tramway during the next season. The distance is
about two miles and a quarter.
The Alamo Mining company of Duluth, Minn , with a capital of #500,000, is
the owner. A. E. Humphrey is president, Capt. N. D. Moore, vice-president,
and Frank Cox, secretary and treasurer.
This group comprises the Cumberland,
Great Eastern, Daisy and Gladstone. I;
is in the same basin as the Idaho mine
and lies southeast of that property. The
formation is slate and lime, the vein
trending northeast and southwest. Development consists of three tuuuels. The
lower is no feet in length, the middle 150
feet and the upper 90 feet. The former
owners shipped 120 tons and left 20 tons
which carried from 100 to 120 ounces in
silver per ton and 70 per cent lead.      ��
During the month of February, 1895,
the property was purchased by Captain
N. D. Moore for W. C. Yawkey. Since
Mr. Moore arrived here in the interest of
the Duluth syndicate in less than one
year they have acquired mining property
worth fully #500,000.
This group consists of the Yakima, Sunshine, Oregon and Monday. Located in
Howson basin. A 100-foot tunnel has
been run ou the Sunshine which has
penetrated ore which averages 120 ounces
of silver per ton and 63 to 70 per cent
lead. Tons of float ore are found on the
surface. A carload of float was picked
up on the Yakima. A four-foot vein has
recently been struck ou the Yakima and
the work of mining and sacking ore has
been commenced. The property is
bonded by Robert McFerran.
The large building containing the ore
separating or concentrating machinery of
the Slocan Milling company, is situated
on the south side of lower Carpenter
creek near the mouth of Howson creek,
about one and one-half miles west of
Three Forks. The extreme dimensions
of the structure, which is built of lumber,
is 157 feet in length and ranging in
width from 31 feet at the upper end to 65
feet at the lower. The building is set on
the slope of the hill and consists of five
The ore bins are at still higher elevation than the upper part ol the mill
building. The dimensions are 24x60 feet,
consisting of five compartments with a
total capacity of 2,000 tons. A T rail
track runs under each bin, the ore dropping through a chute into a car on which
it is wheeled to the upper terrace of the
concentrating works. Here the ore is
dumped alongside a Comet rock breaker
with a crushing capacity of at least 200
tons per day. The broken ore drops into
a bin from whence it is fed by an
automatic roller feeder to the first set of
Cornish rolls, 16 inches wide on the face
and 30 inches in diameter. From these
rolls the ore is elevated and discharged
into a horizontal revolving screen from
which the coarser pieces are returned to
another set of rolls'of the same pattern
and size, but being set so as to crush
finer. This ore is then elevated and
carried to a set of trommols. or revolving
i screens set on a slight angle, three iu
number, the first is }i, the secoud % and
the third '/s mesh. From the first trotn-
mol the rock is sent to a two-compartment slide jig, from the second trommol
to a three-compartment Hartz jig, and
from the third part goes to a three-compartment and part to a four-compartment
Hartz jig. The middlings from the jigs
described are carried to a Huntington
mill where they are crushed to a pulp and
passed on into two four-compartment
jigs, from thence the remainder, or
slimes, flows into settling tanks from
which they are drawn and distributed
over four double-decked Calumet &
Hecla revolving tables, where, by jets of
water, the worthless saud is separated
from the valuable ore although the
galena may be crushed as fine as au impalpable powder. The coarse concentrates from the jigs above and the powder-like ore from the slime are conveyed
through spouts to separate bins on the
lower floor but are mixed together before
being sacked and shipped to market.
The capacity of these works is 100 tons
per 24 hours.
The motive power at present is steam
but the owners have a Peltou water
wheel and other machinery iu place to
propel the mill by water power as soon as
the proper quantity can be secured. All
of the machinery is from the well known
manufacturers, Fraser & Chalmers, Chicago, U. S. A.
The works were erected under the
supervision of Mr. J. K. Owen, this being
the 41st plant he has completed iu different parts of the world for the manipulation of ores.
This concentrator, which is now working successfully, is the first iu the Slocan.
It is owned by the Slocan Milling company, au incorporation of Duluth. Minn.
Thomas Mitchell is superintendent of the
Ruth tunnel. The owners are F. P.
O'Neill, D. E. and W. H. McVay, J. Y.
Kesler, F. E. Starkey of Spokane, and
D. C. Clark of Three Forks, B. C.
This group consisting of the Wyoming,
Ruth, Hope and Despair claims, is located between Sandon and tributary creeks
about 4 miles south of Three Forks. The
ledge is uncovered ou the Wyoming and
shows 6 feet of vein matter in the face of
a drift which carries galena. At a distance of 350 feet above is the Ruth tunnel.
It has been driven on the vein 260 feet.
Ore was had from the start, butth ground
being broken near the surface the pay
occurred in bunches or in a thin streak on
the hanging wall. A chute of ore was
struck 130 feet from the entrauce which
continued for 80 feet, varying in width
from 3 to 10 inches which produced some
fine specimens of lead crystals and sulphates of lead. The vein varies from 4 to
lo feet in width, with au east and west
strike dipping to the south. The foot
wall is lime and the hanging slate. Assays yield 128, 196 and 230 ounces silver
and from 69 to 79 per cent lead. There
has been shipped 26 tons. A shaft is now
being sunk 230 feet from tunnel mouth.
At 10 feet iu depth 6 inches of ore was
struck. This shaft will be continued for
a depth of 75 or 100 feet. Ore has been
found on the surface 1000 feet above the
These claims cover practically the same
ground and are located on the east side of
Sandon creek, being the same vein as the
Slocan .Star. Formation, argillite slate;
trend, north-east and south west, dips to
the south west. Developed by three tunnels. No. i, or lower, 200 feet in length.
No. 2, 125 feet with cross cut 260 feet,
in length and uprise 45 feet. No. 3, or
upper tunnel is in 011 the vein 50 feet.
All these openings show some clean, and
large quantities of concentrating ore.
Three car loads of assorted ore are on the
dumps. Assays have been had averaging
183 ounces in silver and 81 per cent lead
for the galena, aud from 103 to 160
ounces silver and a small amount of lead
for the carbonates. Charles Chambers,
B. N. and Bruce White own one half,
Cress, Ross, Wall and McRae are the
owners of the other half. ��>
Since the above was written, Finch
& Campbell have bought the one half
interest of the last named parties.
The location of the Richmond is near
the divide between Sandon and Cody
creeks, but on the Sandon creek slope.
The Star View is west of aud parallel to
the Richmond, the latter being au extension of the Eureka-Mineral Hill.
Width of Richmond vein from 10 to 15
feet, north-east and south-west trend.
The formation is argillite slate, with belts
of granite through which the ledge cuts.
Rich ore has been found in the granite
as well as the slate. The vien has been
opened in five different places 1,100 feet
in length One man in three days taking
out five tons of clean ore. The Star
View appears to be a concentrating
proposition. At the discovery the vein is
six feet wide with galena all through.
Both claims are owned by H. A. Ross,
J. C. Cress, Thos. Wall aud D. McRae.
This property lies between and across
Miller and tributary creeks, branches of
the south fork of Carpenter creek and are
distant from three forks about 3 miles.
The group consists of the Wonderful,
which is Crown patented. The Look Out,
.Springfield, Columbus, President aud
Wonderful Fraction. Development is
being carried on by cross cut tunnels,
the lower one being 575 feet in length
aud the upper 191 feet. There is also an
intermediate tunnel. Two raises have
been made connecting all three tuuuels.
The formation is slate, lime aud porphyry.
Several tons of ore has either been extracted or is in sight. The vein is badly
broken up in places and has slipped from
its original position, but gives every evidence of turning out to be a big mine.
Average of the ore is 108 ounces silver
and 65 per cent lead. Finch & Campbell have the property bonded aud may
complete the purchase.
Located in the Idaho basin aud an extension of the Idaho mine. A cross cut
tunnel 50 feet in length cuts the vein aud
a drift has been run thereon 150 feet
showing five feet of concentrating ore
which will go two tons into one. Assays
have been had of 57 ounces silver aud
61 per cent lead. The claims are under
bond to Finch & Campbell.
Situated east of George W. Hughes
Mountain Chief and have the same surface showing. The Mountain Chief vein
runs through the Mammoth while the
Egypt is a separate vein. Is not much
developed but the chances for developing a mine are excellent.    The Mam- moth is owned entirely by Finch &
Campbell and they also control the
Situated on the north slope of the
mountain on the lower Carpenter creek
within two miles of Slocan lake. Is the
property of George W. Hughes, he having purchased it in 1892 for #15,500. The
vein is two to six feet in width, while the
pay streak of clean ore ranges from one
to three feet. Eight hundred tons have
been shipped, which averaged 130 ounces
silver per ton and 75 per cent. lead. Immense quantities of concentrating ore
have been developed and is on the dump,
The property still belongs to Mr. Hughes.
Situated on the south side of the mountain from the Idaho mine. Formation
slate aud lime. Is developed by a crosscut tunnel 300 feet in length, which cuts
the vein 65 feet in depth. Although
quite a quantity of ore is in sight only 12
tons have been shipped, which carried
120 ounces silver and 65 per cent. lead.
Nothing but assessment work done during the past year. Major J. II. Moran
and Seattle, Wash., parlies are tlie own
Located in what is known as the Wild
Goose basin, between the forks of Howson creek. Formation lime and slate,
trend of veins easterly and westerly. Pay
streak averages m inches with two feet of
concentrating ore. Value of clean ore
100 ounces silver and 70 per cent. lead.
Two other veins from four to six inches of
clean ore are on the same location. Sold
by Bert Squires to Neltleton, Graves &
Co., of Spokane, Wash , for #12,000.
This claim adjoins the Wild Goose and
has the same characteristics, There is in
the aggregate 175 feet of open cuts made.
One crosscut tuuuel.is in 30 feet and will
be extended 511 feet further to Clll the
vein at 100 feet in depth,
Is located ill Twill Lakes basin. Very
little development work has been done,
but a fine showing of concentrating ore
of excellent grade is in sight. A tunnel
to develop the claim lias been started,
John W. Lowes and Harry Sheran arc the
These claims are located on the high
mountain, from three to four miles southeast of New Denver. Formation porphyry foot wall, hanging wall slate and
lime with some granite. A crosscut tunnel 114 feet in length has been run to cut
the California lead. A first-class horse
trail connects the claims with a wagon
road. Assays of the ore average 120
ounces silver, 65 per cent. lead. Janus
Marino is the principal owner.
Located on the south slope of Cody
reek aud is the properly of the Helena,
Mont., smelting company. This was tlie
first mine in the Slocan from which shipments were made. James F. Warduer
in 1892 shipped six car loads via Nakusp.
At that time the ore was packed ou mules
from the mine to New Denver, thence by
bateaux on Slocan lake to its head and
by pack mules again to Nakusp, where it
was loaded on steamers and carried to
Northport in Washington, thence by rail
to its destination at Helena. By this
means of transportation, the cost of
freight and duty was #99.50 per ton, yet
the ore paid a profit of about #100 per
ton. After Wardner's management ceased
but little was done with the property.
Some lessees worked the mine the winter
of 1893-94 and extracted something over
100 tons. The owners propose running a
crosscut tunnel 300 feet iu length lower
down the mountain the coming summer
and working the mine on a more extended scale than in the past.
This group is located on what is known
as Payne Mountain, and is situated about
4 miles south east of Three Forks.
The group is composed of the Payne,
Maid of Erin, Mountain Chief and Two
Jacks. Formation slate shale, the vein
trending about 35 degrees east of north.
Width of vein from 8 inches to four feet
with pay streak front 6 inches to 2% feet
wide. In 1894, S5 tons were shipped
which yielded 210 ounces silver per ton
and 71'/I per cent lead. During the past
winter 175 tons have been mined and
shipped from the the Mountaim Chief
claim and thirty tons taken from an 80
foot tunnel on the Maid of Erin will be
shipped, This ore will average 200
ounces in silver and 70 per cent or more
in lead. Considerable dead work has
been done in the past year and the work
is far ahead of the ore extraction. Atleas.t
300 tons more could be shipped but the
owner considers it not advisable. The
Payne was the first location made in the
Slocan district, it having been found in
September 1891, and was the first to pass
into the hands of monied men. S. S.
Bailey owns the entire group except one
half of the Payne which belongs to Scott
McDonald. There is 200 tons of second
class ore on the dump which will pay to
Situated ou Reco hill about three miles
by trail from the mouth of Cody creek ou
the south fork of Carpenter. The claims
of the group are the Reco, Texas. New
Denver, Kphriam ami Clifton. Formation, slate intersected by porphyry dykes
of various widths from 6 to 200 feet
through which the vein can be traced the
length of four locations. Ten feet is the
average widtli of the vein as far as de-
veloped, No. 1, or the upper tunnel, has
been driven on the ledge 365 feet and
shows one chute of ore too feet in
length, besides others not so extensive.
A winze sunk below this level   exposes  a
flue body of galena ore,   No. 2 tunnel is
117 feet vertically below No. 1 and is iu
350 feet, lire has been struck in the
laic nl Ibis tunnel. As the hill slopes at
an angle of about 45 degrees, the distance
gained from lhe surface is considerable.
From 400 to 5011 tons will be shipped
in nil lhe Reco ground this winter. At
least [,000 tOQI of concentrating ore and
carbonates are on the dump which carries
from 60 lo 75 ounces of silver per ton.
The owners are John M. Harris, Fred
T. Kelly and S. M. Wharton.
This vein was found oil a fraction bordering on the southeast comer of the
Reco location, Development work proved
that it run into the side Hue of that claim
and   extended  through   it  al  least 1,1x0
feet iii length. I p to ihe first of February 72 tuns had been   shipped, which il is
believed will be the highest grade ore
ever sent out from the SIOCBU, although
un returns as yet have been received. The
ore coutiltl mainly of ruby silver and
grey copper. Il is owned by the same
parlies as the Reco.
This is a fractional claim adjoining the
lOUthweit  corner of  the   Reco     It was
discovered by J. A. Whittier September
10, 1894, The formation is the same as
Reco hill; average width of vein eight
inches of galena, ruby silver, gray copper
and carbonate
Prom 11 shipment of 21 tons Ihe galena
returned 71,8 ounces of silver per ton and
(16 per cent lead, and the carbonates
yielded 375 OUUCH  silver per   ton and 17
per cent lead. For this shipment nearly
#5,500 was paid, while the total expense
of mining and shipping did not exceed
#1,000. Much more ore of the same
kind will be shipped this season. The
owners are J. A. Whittier, J. H. Thompson, Charles Kent, J. A. Martin and
Arthur Goodenough.
Consisting of the Deadman and Wild
Goose claims, both 011 the same ledge
and lying between the Reco and Noble
Five groups and iu the same formation as
those mines. The outlandish name was
given to the Deadman claim by the
original locators on account of a prospector being struck by lightning and
lying dead at the mouth of the Cody
creek when the claim was struck. Development work has been carried on by
driving tunnels on the vein since July,
1894, which amounts in the aggregate to
600 feet, besides upraises and winzes connecting the levels. Over 100 tons of ore
is out ready for shipment. There appears
to be two or more parallel veins running
through the locations. The property was
purchased last year by R. M. Sherman,
who is the prtseut owner. J. Frank
Cutler is the resident manager.
Located on Reco hill in slate and por-
pleyn formation. Developed by two tunnels, upper one ran in on vein 216 feet,
lower tunnel 350 feet. In the upper opening ore shows in every foot driven, consisting of galena aud carbonates. The
last 150 feet of the lower workings shows
concentrating ore. A carload of clean
ore has been taken from a chute about to
feet long and one foot wide, which is now
being sunk on. First-class ore averages
114 ounces silver per ton and 73 per cent
lead. In one place in the mine there is
12 feet of concentrating ore which will go
from three to four tons into one. Finch
aud Campbell control this property and
also have a bond on the Omega claim,
lying immediately above.
The Last Chance lies west of the
World's Fair claim on the Noble Five
group. Formation, slate and lime. Development work was commenced the 6th
of August, 1894, and for the most of the
time only two men, and never
more than three, were employed. Up to
February 1, 1895, an incline shaft was
sunk 1 t8Ji feet ou an ore chute ranging
from one to 2 and one-half feet in width.
During this time the force was engaged
one month and live days building cabins,
ore shells, etc. The vein is practically
vertical, carries galena and carbonates,
but the latter almost disappear with
depth. Four cars of ore have been shipped during the past winter which averaged 183 ounces silver per ton and 76 per
cent lead. There is from 30 to 40 tons of
carbonates on the dump which run from
90 to iu) ounces silver and low in lead.
A Crown grant has been issued for the
claim.     E, H. Totnlinson is the owner.
Located  in  Payne   gulch,   2
from   Three   Forks.      Slate   form
vein  trends  northwest   aud   soutl
Shows  11   inches of carbonates,
parallel  leads  cross  the   locations
tunnel is now in 53  feet which is
run to tap the ledge.  Is an 1894 loe
Owned by Wm. Lettrick, Clarence
dall and Henry Stege.
This property was discovered ou
September 28, 1S91, aud is one of the pioneers of the district. The claims, commencing near the bottom of Noble Five
bill and running over its crest, are the
Noble Five, Kuoxville, Bonanza King,
World's Fair aud Maud E. The owners
are J. G. McGuigau, the Hennessy
brothers, the estate of the late J. L. Seaton, aud others. Close on to 1,000 tons
of ore has been shipped the past two
winters which averaged with any other
producer in the camp in grade. One carload shipped to Omaha early in 1894
yielded 575 ounces silver per ton. The
Bonanza King and World's Fair claims
of the group are the best developed, although fine ore has been uncovered ou
every claim.
This is one of the pioneer locations of
the camp, aud is situated on the ridge at
the he.'d of McGuigau basin. The formation is all porphyry, which is different
from any other claim in the vicinity.
Vein trends northeast and southwest.
Development consists of tuuuels which
aggregate 210 feet in length. Iu 1893,
four tons were shipped which yielded 117
ounces silver per ton. Iu 1894 shipped
15 tons which returned 133!^ ounces
silver per ton and 74X per cent lead,
John L. Retallack aud Joe Seaton are
the owners.
Located on the west side of the mountain on the south fork of Carpenter,
about one mile above the mouth of Cody
creek. Formation, hanging wall shale,
foot wall quartzite. The claims in the
group are the Chambers, Wellington,
Eureka and Jay Gould. Il is claimed
the main ledge is at least 80 fet t between
walls, carrying stratas of clean galena
aud vast bodies of concentrnl.ng ore.
First class ore averages 120 ounces silver
per ton aud from 60 to So per cent lead.
About 450 feet of tunneling has been
done, The owners are, Ed. Becker }{,
Chas. Kent }'%, Tom LisUr %, Chas.
Chambers % and the Bank of Montreal %,
Composed of the Lucky Jim, St.
George aud Roadley claims. They are
located south of, and about 800 feet
vertically above Bear lake. The hanging wall is dolonite aud the foot wall
slate. On the surface in places, fully
eight feet wide of ore was exposed which
called considerable attention to the property wheu it was first discovered in 1892.
During that year it was bonded to Seattle
parties who did considerable work running cross cuts below the vein, but they
were never continued far enough
to ascertain if the surface showings extended to any great depth. Quite a body
of ore is yet in sight on the surface. Sixty
or more tons shipped yielded 67 ounces
of silver and 60 per cent and over in lead.
E.J. Matthews has lately bonded and
leased the controlling interest from
Frank H. Kilbourne of Seattle. His
option is to purchase for #15,000 at the
end of the year and to pay a 7 per cent
royalty on what ore he ships. C. L.
Arnold, Robert Williams and Thomas
Rotdley own the remaining interests and
Arnold and Williams are working the
property. A lower crosscut tunnel is now
being driven toward the vein.
This property belongs to the Washington Mining cotnpauy. It is situated
about one-half mile east of the Reco. It
has been worked more or less since 1892
and has produced some 400 tons of ore
which averaged 144 ounces silver and 71
per cent lead. The Washington, which
has produced 1,000 tons or more of high
grade ore and is located in McGuigau
basin, is also the property of this same
company. It is not being worked at
Located below and between the Blue
Bird and Reco and cuts through lime,
si te aud porphyry formation. The vein
averages three feet in width showing ore
for 200 feet averageing one foot iu widtli.
Assays from 145 to 160 ounces silver and 72 per cent lead. Nothing done the past
year except to run a 20-foot tunnel on the
lead, which improved it considerably.
The owners are Ed. Becker. J. H.
Thompson and Chas. Kent.
Located in the Dardanelles basin south
of Bear lake aud four miles from the
Kaslo Slocan wagon road. The group
consists of the Dardanelles, Antelope,
Buffalo, Okanogan, Diamond Cross, Hidden Treasure aud Caribou. Formation
slate and porphyry, the vein trending
northerly and southerly and ranging in
width from a few inches to five feet.
The Dardanelles vein lies very flat; a
shaft has been sunk to a depth of 200 feet
following the lead but is not over 100
feet vertically from the surface. From
this shaft and the different drifts run
along the vein quite an amount of high
grade ore has been extracted. A 10^ ton
shipment was made to Tacoma, Wash., in
December, 1S92, which yielded 487
ounces silver per ton and 54 per cent lead.
In 1893 150 tons were shipped to Great
Falls, Mont., which gave returns from
248 to 322 ounces silver per ton and from
26 to 30 per cent lead. In 1894 a shipment of 66 tons was made which ranged
in value from 250 to 350 ounces silver per
ton and 16 per cent lead. On account of
the heavy flow of water the company has
been compelled to abandon work in the
Dardanelles shaft until heavier hoisting
aud pumping machinery can be secured,
the present engine and pump not being of
sufficient capacity.
The Buffalo and Antelope claims have
been leased to different parties during the
past two seasons and iu the aggregate
considerable ore has been extracted which
averaged about 100 ounces silver per ton
and 50 per cent lead. Other shipments
than those mentioned have been made
from the Dardanelles, the figures of
which, and the tonnage furnished by the
lessees are not at hand.
This property is owned by different
capitalists in the states of Oregon and
Washington. It is doubtful if they will
do much more development work until
the price of silver advances sufficient to
justify the large expenditure necessary for
the put chase of the heavy machinery required to work the miues properly.
Situated in the Ruby Silver basin at
the head of the east fork of McGuigan
creek. The distance from the Kaslo-
Slocau wagon road is about four miles.
A local geologist gives the following description of the formation of the Ruby
Silver basin, which applys to the mineral
claims there'situated: "Cambiran, principally schistose argileaux lime and plum-
biferous shales with obtnisial dykes of
feldspathic aud auorthyte porphyry.
Shows evidence of violent and continuous eruption in the vicinity of Noble Five
peak south of the basin and also about
Blue Bird peak north of the basin." The
Surprise was purchased about the first of
the year 1894 by Chicago parties. A shipment of 100 tons was made which rumor
states carried 229 ounces silver per ton.
Shipments have been kept up quite regu-
larily since and at present the output is
three tons per day, which average 190
ounces silver per ton and 60 per cent
lead. One shipment of 87 tons yielded
246 ounces of silver per ton and 73 per
cent lead. The owners have recently incorporated under the name of the Slocau
Surprise Mining company. A crown
grant title has been obtained. Alex
Smith is the resident manager. The development work consists of two adit tunnels, No. I 180 feet iu length and No. 2
90 feet.
Situated in Surprise basin.   The value
of this claim was only ascertained late in
the past fall.    In the mean time No. 1
tunnel has been driven 16S feet and No.
2 tunnel 118 feet. Work has been
stopped on account of water, but will be
resumed in the spring. From the tunnels 120 tons have been shipped which
averaged 287 ounces silver per ton and
from 55 to 60 per cent lead. The vein
is from two to four feet between walls.
Owned by J. H. Thompson, J. A. Whittier, Alex Smith and W. J. Tretheway.
Has been surveyed for crown grant.
Located in the Ruby Silver basin aud
borders on the Maud E at the end of the
Noble Five group. But little work outside of the annual assessment has yet
been done. The ledge has every appearance of being made a valuable property
under proper development. About 14
tous were shipped last year which averaged 240 ounces silver per ton and 60 per
cent lead. A certificate of improvement
for crown grant has been issued. Russell
Bros. & Knapp, of Spokane, are the
Situated in the Ruby Silver basiu. The
ledge is about 5 feet wide, Total amount
of development work not known by the
writer at present. A few tous of ore were
shipped during the past year which carried 200 ounces silver per ton and 70 per
cent lead. Porter aud Jackson are the
Located near the Tom Moore in Ruby
Silver basin. Developed by a tunnel 80
feet in length and several cuts. Pay
streak of clean ore from 3 to 10 inches
wide. Have on the dump two tons which
will average 200 ounces silver per ton and
65 per cent lead. Owtted by Neill
Lies northwest of the surprise aud joins
the north end of the Antoine. Fully 500
feet of the vein runs through the ground.
Developed by a tunnel 40 feet in length.
Pay streak 8 inches in width. From 14
assays the average was 300 ounces silver
per ton and from 65 to 70 per cent lead.
Owned by David Whitely, George Henderson, Neil Gething and Jack Halpin.
The Wellington group of claims is situated near Whitewater creek, about one
mile from the Kaslo-Slocan wagon road
I7 miles west of Kaslo. The property belongs to the Kootenay and Columbia Prospecting and Mining Company of Ottawa.
Edward Watts is the resident manager.
The Wellington vein is opened by a
shaft to a depth of 77 feet, from which a
drift is run 60 feet in length on an ore
body 2'/2 feet wide. Quite a quantity of
ore has been shipped. Fifty tons sent to
market the past fall yielded 230 ounces
silver per ton and 50 per cent lead.
A contract has been let for a cross-cut
tunnel 700 feet in length which will cut
the vein at a depth of 200 feet. This
work is now progressing. The company
intends to do quite an amount of work
on adjoining claims during the coining
summer. The formation is slate and
lime shale.
This group consists of the Iron Crown,
San Berdiuo, Alice, Point and Black
Hawk. Its location is between Lyle and
Bear creeks, north of the Kaslo-Slocan
wagon road and about 16 miles distant
from Kaslo. The formation is serpentine.
Two tunnels have been ruu 011 the San
Berdino 70 feet in length, and oue of 70
feet on the Iron Crown. Considerable
surface work has been done on the Bear
creek slope. In one place the vein has
been stripped 50 feet in length, leaving
from 8 to 10 inches of ore on the wall.
The veins are true fissures aud can be
worked to great depth by adit tunnels.
The ore averages 130 ounces silver per
tou 70 per cent lead. There is sufficient
ore iu sight to pay the purchase price of
the property. Finch and Campbell are
the owners. They also own the Monte
Christo ou Bear creek and the Virginia
on Whitewater.
The claims of this camp were the means
of first drawing attention toward the
Kaslo Slope and finally the Slocan. The
Trapper, Silver Tip, Beaver, Lone Star,
Comet, Snow Flake and Mountain Dew
were discovered in September, 1890, one
year before the great excitement occured.
Formation trachyte with serpentine
dykes, trend of veins northeast aud southwest. Quite au amount of work has been
done by the owners each year since the
discovery yet no shipments have been
made although there has been considerable
ore extracted. The Beaver has a 12 foot
vein carrying galena aud copper. Four
feet of ore in the upper tunnel of the
Mountain Dew assays from 26 to 204
ounces of silver. As high as 400 ounces
in silver per tou has been returned from
the Silver Tip which is dry ore. These
claims are located three miles north of the
Kaslo-Slocan wagon road aud are 13
miles from Kaslo by road aud trail.
Andrew Jardine, John Allen aud John
(Lardo) McDonald are the owners.
Located on the divide between Lyle
and Bear creeks, four miles north of the
Kaslo-Slocan wagon road, and distant
from Kaslo by wagon road trail, 19 miles.
This gronp consists of the Eureka,
Yosemite and Homestake. On the
Eureka the most development work has
been done. Quite an amount of surface
work, consisting of cuts shafts and tuuuels ou the lead, warranted more extensive explorations. A cross cut tunnel
was driven 190 feet cutting the ledge 175
feet in depth. 100 feet of drifting has
been done and one carload of ore shipped
which averaged 100 ounces silver per ton
and 70 per cent lead. The vein carries
galena and the pure carbonates of lead
in crystals or cerussite. Robert and
Neil MacDonald, J. D. Moore and J. M.
McPhee own the group, except au interest in the Yosemite and Homestake, held
by the heirs of the late D. McMillan.
The property has been bonded by C. H.
Green and J. C. Ryan of Saginaw, Michigan, for #45,000.
These claims are located near the
Eureka group in the same trachyte and
serpentine formation. Little but assessment work has been done, yet they show
evidences of being valuable. The Mac-
Donald brothers, Chas. Clancey and
others are the owners. Iu this same
vicinity are a number of other claims,
merely prospects, and owned by practically the same parties. They are not developed sufficiently to warrant a descript-
Located on Jackson creek, four miles
from the Kaslo-Slocan wagon road. The
group comprises four claims, viz: Northern Bell, Dublin Queen, Kootenay Star
and Ophir. Formation, hanging wall
slate shale, foot wall lime and slate. The
vein is from 6 to 12 feet iu width, about
all the filling being concentrating ore.
Several hundred tons of clean ore has
been mined and shipped, which averaged
about 100 ounces per ton and ran very
high in lead. Developments consist of
three tunnels ou the Northern Bell, two
of 250 feet in length on the vein and a
middle oue 100 feet or more long.
Winzes aud upraises have been made connecting these levels.
The Dublin Queen has been prospected
by cuts ou the surface aud some chutes of
ore found.     The Northern Bell Mining
Company of Seattle was organized to
handle this property, but failed on account of the stringent times. The property then reverted to the original owner,
Robert Jackson, who is now developing it.
The South Fork of Kaslo River.
Although the Montezuma was found in
the fall of 1891 and prospectors passing
to aud from the Slocau crossed over the
South Fork of Kaslo river at many points
and clambered up and down the hillsides,
yet it was not until 1894 that much prospecting was done in that section aud
much known of its mineral possibilities.
A number of Swiss-Italiaus, it is claimed,
have several excellent prospects on the
South Fork and on the mountain sides
bordering the many tributary streams.
As no visit has been paid to their claims
and we have no reliable data, it is impossible to describe the number or character of their prospects.
Located ou both sides of the South
fork of Kaslo river about four and one-half
miles from the forks of Kaslo creek and
nine miles from Kaslo city, on Kootenay
The group consists of 10 or more
claims, named as follows: Ben Hur, Essex, Gladstone, Loadstone, Whetstone,
White Bean and Cataract, in slate and
lime formation, located on the south side
of the South Fork, and the Minnesota,
Solo-Best aud Blackstone are in granite
formation 011 the north side of the stream.
The best showing is on the Ben Hur location through which the twin ledges of the
group run. A cross-cut tunnel is now
being run to cut the vein on the Ben Hur
which was in 140 feet the first week in
I'ebruary. This tunnel will develop the
lead 175 feet below the surface.
This vein is 12 feet wide, and, like all
the rest, trends northeast and southwest.
Vein filling is spar carrying galena which
averages about 135 ounces silver and 70
per cent lead. There is good showing of
galena on every claim in the group.
Besides the above the owners have a
number of other claims on the same
stream which they will develop in the
future. During the past fall they built
a fine trail from their property to the
forks of Kaslo river. Robert and Ben
Briggs are the owners.
These are 1891 locations and are situated near the south fork of Kaslo river,
five miles from the forks. Formation lime
and granite shale; veins have a northeast
and southwest trend. Iu oue place in
the vein there is 11 feet of solid pyrites of
iron. Samples have assayed from #5 to
#28 iu gold and from 80 to 186 ounces iu
silver per ton. Only #300 worth of work
has been done ou the claim so far. Youill
Brothers and Henry Blair are the owners.
Located near the head of Montezuma
gulch, a tributary of the South Fork, and
distance about 10 miles from Kaslo. Ou
the Montezuma is about the largest surface showing of galena in the country.
Samples taken clear across the vein in
different places yielded from 66 to 106
ounces silver per ton and 60 per cent
lead. A crosscut tunnel 70 feet long cuts
the vein 40 feet in depth. A drift has
been run 40 feet developing a body of ore
from one to four feet in width, but there
is considerable doubt whether this is ou the
same lead as the big surface showing.
The formation is slate, granite and lime,
the vein cutting through the same. On
the Mexico, which is the easterly extension, nothing but assessment work has
been done. OTHER ^PROSPECTS.
There are a number of other healthy
showings on the South Fork and tributaries which are deserving of mention,
but in the absence of facts they cannot
i be described or even named. During the
year much stir is looked for in that section.
Four Mile Creek.
Four Mile creek empties into Slocan
lake from the east four miles south of
New Denver. The town of Silverton is
located at the mouth of the stream.
Along the mountain side bordering the
creek aud ou many of its tributaries valu'
able minerals have been found and a
number of locations made. Several of
these finds made in the past three years
have developed into mines of considerable
value. The ores are of two kiuds, viz:
silver and lead and dry silver ore.
Those interested are making an effort
to have the government construct a wagon
road from the lake front up the valley of
Four Mile to the vicinity of the Thompson group, a distance of ii or 12 miles. It
is not at all improbable but what such an
important improvement will be made
during the coming summer.
Followiug is a list and description of
part of the mines and prospects in the
section named.
This property is located on the south
slope of the mountain north of Four
Mile creek. A first class wagou road 2%
miles in length connects the bottom of
the 1,600 foot tramway from the Alpha
with the steamer lauding on Slocan lake.
The group consists of the Alpha, Black
Bear and Hamilton, while the company
also controls the Beebe, Mabel aud Pina,
upposed to be on the same ledge as the
Alpha. The Black Bear lies alongside
1, the Alpha aud Hamilton, these have
crown grants covering them making the
title absolute. The formation is slate and
porphyry, the width of the Alpha being at
least 30 feet. Since acquiring this
property the owners have performed an
immense amount of work running tunnels etc. on the Alpha vein. They built
the wagou road and tramway already
spoken of and have erected a large ore
house at the lake, also a boarding house,
ore house at the mine and at foot of tramway.
Up to Feb. I of this year the company
has mined and shipped 821 tons of
galena which ranged in value from 100
to 138 ounces of silver per ton and 64 per
cent lead. This quantity of ore netted
#45,200. Shipments are now being made
and will be kept up continuously.
The manager is now plauniug for the
erection of a large concentrator to handle
the entire product of the Alpha vein between walls. This property is owned by
James McNaught, N. F. McNaught and
Alexander McKeuzie. The price for the
property was #70,000 and has all been
paid. Over aud above receipts the owners
have expended #60,000.
The Grady group is in the same vicinity
as the Alpha and carries ore of the same
character and grade. The claims are the
Surprise, Standard, Shuenio and Tiger.
Briggs, Laatz aud Grady are the owners
and the parties who sold the Alpha group.
They spend the summer mouths iu developing their property which shows up
Is located three miles from Silverton on
the north side of Four Mile creek. In
granite formation. The pay streak is
from six to eight inches wide, assays
from which have yielded from 255 to 379
ounces silver per ton and also carries
some lead. Jasper King, N. F. McNaught,
Swau Peterson and Hugh Brady are the
owners. Au incline shaft has been sunk
62 feet and the owners ore now running
a tunnel.
This claim is parallel to and adjoins
the Grady group. Is in slate formation.
Vein three feet wide with a pay streak of
eight inches. Trend northeast and
southwest. A forty foot tunnel was run
on the vein during the past year all in
ore, quite a quantity now being on tha
dump which samples 150 ouuces silver
and 65 per cent lead. Jasper King and
Ben Anderson are the owners.
This claim lies south of the Alpha and
above the Standard. It is believed by
the owners that the ledge is the same as
the Alpha. This year it is the intention
to open the vein with a tunnel so as to
demonstrate its value, as the tunnel will
cut the ledge at a considerable depth.
Major A. S. Reid and J. A. McKinnon are
the owners.
Located three-quarters of a mile from
lake front ou Four-Mile creek. Formation is granite and porphyry. The trend
is northeast and southwest. Vein four
feet iu width, filling quartz, spar and
iron, carries dry ore. Situated convenient for tunnelling on vein. Ed Stewart
and J. A. McKinnon are the owners.
Located on Four-Mile creek about five
miles from the lake. The claims of the
group are the Tenderfoot, Read, Robertson, Cosmopolite and North Star. The
Jenny Lind location corners on the vein.
Formation is argillite slate aud black
lime. The vein on the surface is at
least 20 feet wide, filling lime spar. Pay
streak in places from two and a half to
four feet iu width, while the entire vein
is a concentrating proposition. An average sample of the surface croppings
yielded 140 ounces of silver aud 70 per
cent lead.
This claim is on the same ledge as the
Read and Robertson and is in the same
formation. The pay streak is 14 inches
solid ore, assays from which have yielded
440 ounces silver aud 60 per cent lead.
Charley Anderson and George Fairburu
are the owners.
Located four miles from Silverton ou
the south side of Four-Mile creek. Formation is slate. The other claim is called
the Mountain Boomer, the veins trending
northeast and southwest. Two carloads
of ore were shipped in 1893, which averaged 250 ounces silver. One car averaged 40 and the other 50 per cent lead.
A large quantity of ore is now out and
ready for shipment. The property has
been covered by crown grant during the
year. Mahan Brothers, of Vancouver,
are the owners.
Situated in the same vicinity as the
Vancouver group. Formation is slate,
but the vein runs into the granite. Is an
eight-foot vein fully mineralized, the
solid ore assaying 154 ounces silver and
60 per cent lead. Henry Mahan and Ed
Stewart, owners.
Lies east of the Mountain Boomer aud
is on the saute ledge. Width of vein 8
feet. There is #400. worth of work done
aud considerable ore ou the dump which
assays from 280 to 300 ounces silver aud
52 per cent lead. Lee Coombs, Lou Mul-
holland and Ed. Stewart.
On the same vein as the Mountain
Boomer and Le Roi. Not much develop
ment work but shows up well on the surface. Mahan Brothers of Vancouver, B.
C, are the owners.
Located ou the divide between Howson
and Four Mile creeks, west of the Read
and Robertson group. Slate formation,
trends northerly and southerly. The
vein is seven feet wide carrying concentrating galena three feet in width. Assays
from the clean ore have yielded 143
ounces silver and 68 per cent lead. A
parallel lead carries two inches of clean
ore running 300 ounces per ton. Three
hundred dollars worth of work has been
done. The property can be worked to
any desired depth by tunnels. Major
John F. Mcintosh, customs collector at
Kaslo aud others are the owners.
Is an extension of the Vancouver and
carries an 18-inch vein of rich ore. The
owners were offered #12,000 for the
property in 1893 but refused. Fifty feet
of tunuel was driven during the past year.
A quantity of high grade ore is ou the
dump but no shipments have been made.
Rathbourue & Culver are the owners.
Located eight miles from Slocau lake
on Four Mile creek. Granite formation;
trend of veius northeast and southwest
dipping to the west 20 feet to 100. Width
of ledge 20 feet with pay vein from 6 to
24 inches. The vein crosses Four Mile
creek. On the south side there is a crosscut tunnel 100 feet in leugth with drift on
ledge 35 feet. Ou the north side of the
creek one tunnel is on the ledge 160 feet,
70 feet has been stoped. The lower tunnel cuts the ledge 100 feet in depth.
Forty feet from the face of the drift on
the foot wall a cross cut was run to the
hanging wall where the lead was found to
be 25 feet wide. A drift has been run
along the hanging wall 125 feet and an
upraise made to the upper tunnel. Have
shipped 50 tons of ore to smelter which
yielded 265 ouuces of silver per ton except one car which carried 347 ounces per
This is a dry ore carryiug ruby, grey
copper aud black sulphuretts. Bonded
by Popham & Webb to G. W. Hughes,
W. E. Mann, J. L. Montgomery aud H.
Byers. Considerable ore could be extracted but no ore house was provided before winter set iu.
These claims are extensions of the
Fisher Maiden and have the same
general characteristics. Nothing but the
assessment work has been done during
the past year. W. A. Crane and Dan
McDonald are the owners. CD
I (Located on Fiuuell creek, oue of the
main tributaries of Four Mile, 11 miles
from Slocau lake. The group consists of
the Silver Cup, Comstock, Silver Chief
Kentucky Girl and Ruby Trust; the five
claims are on the same lead and all show
dry ore. The formation is granite, width
of vein 15 feet with pay streak from two
to three feet wide. Assays have been had
running from 140 to 1,300 ounces silver
per ton. A tunnel 165 feet in length has
been run and about 60 tons of shipping
ore placed ou the dumps. Thompson
brothers, H. Clever and others are the
Located at the head of Fiuuell creek
aud are extensions of the Thompson
group. The claims are the Commonwealth, St, George, Glenwood and
Argeueutiel.     Grauite formation      Two
parallel veins exist ou location about 300
feet distant from each other. One lead
is fully 20 feet wide carrying four feet of
heavy miueralized dry ore. Another
location carries ore assaying #16 per ton
in gold. Assays in silver have been had
as high as 170 ounces. Brindle aud
McMartin are the owners.
Located ou Finnell creek, in the granite formation. Three leads cross the
locations, mineral showing on all of them.
Some of the veins appear to be of immense width and have heavy iron capping containing more or less galena.
Only the assessment work for one year
has been done. The owners are John R.
Roberts aud J. A. McKinnon.
Situated 2l/2 miles from Silverton on
Slocan lake aud on the south side of
Four Mile creek. Is a dry ore but not
sufficient development has been done to
warrant a thorough description. The
ledge is fully six feet wide and some high
assays have been obtained in both gold
and silver. Mrs. Ellen Burdick of Kaslo,
is the owner.
This group of four claims is located on
the divide between Four Mile aud Sandon
creek, and can be worked from either
side. From the Saudou slope the workings can be connected with the Slocan
milling companies by bucket tramway,
and on the Four Mile side ore can be
shipped via Silverton on Slocau lake.
This property was bonded to the Middeau
syndicate in 1893 for #41.000. They expended #4,000 in development before giving up the bond on account of stringent
times. In places 18 inches of clean ore is
exposed, besides large quantities of concentrating material. The first-class ore
averages 160 ounces in silver aud from 75
to 80 per cent lead. Capt. R. C. Adams
and W. H. Brandon are the owners.
South of the town of Silverton aud east
of Slocan lake lies the granite belt in
which more or less prospecting has been
carried on during the past two years.
Emptying into the lake from the east
are a number of creeks of different sizes,
the principal ones being four mile,
at Silverton, eight mile, ten mile,
Lemon aud Springer. These streams
are named iu consecutive order from New
Denver, and as some of their names indicate, they are so many miles from that
point. The principal number of ledges
that have been discovered in the granite
belt are dry ore bearing aud many carry
gold to quite an appreciable extent while
others are silver and lead bearing. The
comparative newness of the sectiou aud
the absence of roads or trails has retarded
development to a considerable extend, yet
some very healthy looking and valuable
prospects have been found and sufficient
work done in places to demonstrate there
are mines there of great value beyond the
question of a doubt. The subjoined list is
not complete as to the number of claims
but serves to give a general idea of what
has been found and what has been accomplished iu that portion of the Slocau district.
Situated two miles south of Silverton.
Trend of veiu northeast and southwest.
Vein is two feet wide with quartz filling.
Carries carbonates from which assays
have been had running 420 ounces silver
and 35 per cent lead. Pay streak is 18
inches iu width. A tunnel ou the vein is
in 22 feet. The claim is located in an admirable place for adit tunnels. Hunter,
McKinnon, Howson and Grant are the
\ ���      I
Is parallel to the Baby Ruth aud east of
that location.     The vein is four feet wide
and carries antimonial silver aud  gold.
Was located in 1894 by Harry Howson.
Located ou a stream called Gold creek,
about three-fourths of a mile south of
Silverton aud about one mile back from
the lake; is ou what is termed the Galena
farm. Carries au immense body of concentrating ore. The development consists of a 20-foot shaft with a drift 15 feet
in length, au open cut of 40 feet aud a
tunnel started on the vein. The owners
are James Currie, J. C. Bolander and D.
Located at the head of Eight Mile
creek four miles southeast of Silverton on
what is known as the Granite range. The
group consists of four locations with
a nearly east and west trend. The vein
can be traced through all of them. Veins
of extraordinary width carrying eight feet
of highly mineralized materials, assays
from which have ranged from 25 to S6
ounces silver and #6 gold per ton.
There are five claims in the group, as
follows: Granite Mountain, Mountain
View, Iron Mountain and two others.
The owners are: Brown and Pitts in the
Granite Mountain; W. Thomlinson and
others, Mountain View; Charles Aylwin
and others, the Iron Mountain.
This claim adjoins the Granite Mountain group on the east, the same vein
passes through it where it averages 6)2
feet in width and carries gold, silver and
lead. Assays have been had as high a?
290 ounces silver and 85 per cent lead.
The ground lies favorable for tunnelling
on the vein. Only two assessment have
been done. Owned by Captain G. L.
Estabrooks and John McFarland.
Lies southwest of and adjoins the Granite Mountain group. Has an immense
bodv of mineralized material which ou
the surface carries little silver but runs
well in gold. Considerable development
work will be done during the coming
season. It is owned by J. Harvey Anderson, J. A. McKinnon and Al Lonsdale.
Located on Eight Mile creek about '/z
mile from Slocan lake. It is a very large
strong ledge carrying considerable quantities of grey copper, silver and gold.
Not much development work has been
done as yet but work will commence as
Soon as the snow leaves the ground.
Owned by G. L, Estabrooks.
Located on Eight-Mile creek two miles
and a half from Slocan lake. This may
be considered as a strictly gold-bearing
property and has attracted some attention since the dale of location  in  July,
The vein has a northerly and southerly
direction and is in a soft granite formation. Width of pay streak, 10 inches, consisting of quarts and is valued at from
5 to 40 ounces gold per ton.
The ledge has been traced for 400 feet
on the surface, showing quartz the entire
distance. Three openings have been
made, all of which show well. The owners are Wheeler, Abercrombie and Valentine.
20 feets of tunneling.    Owned by B.  A.
This claim adjoins the Little Daisy on
the east and the vein is claimed to be 40
feet in width. The filling is quartz carrying gold and copper. Assay returns have
been had of #8 gold per ton and 3 per
cent  copper.   Development  consists  of
Situated on Ten-Mile creek one mile
back from Slocan lake. The hanging
wall is slate and the foot wall lime, trend
northerly and southerly with slight dip
toward the east. Width of vein from
5 to 10 feet with quartz filling. The
ore is dry and the shipping product is
valued at 400 ounces silver per ton. Developed by a 70-foot tunnel driven in ou
the vein. Ou the surface the ore only
assayed from 10 to 35 ounces in silver.
The lead can be cut by tunnel at a depth
of 1,000 feet. Owned by Benedum,
Thompson, Ratliff aud Price.
Consisting of the Slocau Queen, Enterprise, Mabou, Ohio aud Speculator; are
in granite and sienite formation and located on the divide between Ten-Mile
and Springer creeks, seven miles from
the lake. Two veins cross the locations,
one is from six to eight feet iu width aud
the other from 12 to 20 feet. Assays have
been had of 275 and 970 ounces of silver
and 59 per cent lead. Developments consist of cross-cutting veins and starting
tunnels. Owned by Robt. J. Kirkwood,
J. Q. McKinnon, Neil McGinnis, F. A.
Wells and Thomas Kilpatrick.
Located on Ten-Mile creek six miles
from Slocau lake. The vein trends northeast and southwest and averages six feet
in width, carrying silver and lead. Two
assays from croppings yielded 123 and
160 ouuces in silver per tou. No development bevond prospecting. Tom
Collins. Tom Ardell and Ed Stewart are
the owners.
Situated on Ten Mile creek, six miles
from Slocan lake. Trends northerly and
southerly and is in the true granite formation. Ledge is from 10 to 12 feetiu
width carrying sulphuretts and chlorides.
Assays have been had as high as 1,30.,
ouuces silver per ton. Owned by Chas.
Martin, John Popliam and Dan  McQuay.
Located on Springer creek three miles
east of Slocan lake. Was located iu 1893
by William Springer aud sold to Mr,
Hanauer, a smelter than of Salt Lake
City, Utah. The vein is 2</2 feet wide
carrying 10 inches of pay averaging 215
ouuces silver and #21 in gold per ton.
Assays have been had much higher. No
extensive development work has yet been
Located north of the Daytou on
Springer creek. Assays #21 in gold.
Shows up very well ou the surface.
Another claim ou the same lead the
name of which is unknown. Mulvey,
Clements and Neilson are the owners.
They expect to do quite an amount of
work the coming summer.
Located ou Springer creek seven miles
back from the lake. Has a northeast and
southwest trend. Is 12 feet or more in
width. The ledge can be traced three
miles. This property was only discovered
last year so not much work has been
done. Masses of native silver have been
found in the vein. One assay returned
over 518 ounces silver per ton. Con
Fielding and Robert Cooper are the
The dry ore belt of the Slocan, which
really extends from the mouth of Wilson
creek on Slocan lake eastward to within
10 miles of Kootenay lake and is of unknown width, has received considerable
attention from prospectors during the last
three years. Thus far the government
has taken no action regarding the building of roads to any portion of this promising section so as to facilitate getting in
supplies and the shipment of ores.
The matter of a continuous supply of
dry ores from such a locality as the Slocau is of the utmost importance to every
one either directly or indirectly interested
in the country. The scarcity of this in-
dispeusible adjunct to successful smelting
operations in other mining regions makes
it all the more important that due attention should be paid to the develcpment of
this section, which gives every evidence
of being highly productive and permanent.
All the work performed in this belt so
far has been done under the most adverse
circumstances, the prospectors being
compelled to carry their supplies to their
different claims ou their backs. It is
claimed that the producer of dry ore has
the advantage of #10 per ton saved in
freight and treatment charges ou all ore
shipped to smelters in the United States.
The formation of this particular section
is quite variable. Granite, white aud
black lime, porphyry, slate, shale aud
diorite are to be found. Some of the
mineral veins cut the formation at different angles and some are contacts.
Following is a partial list  of the many
claims located since 1802:
The North Fork of Carpenter Creek.
Is distant from Three Forks about four
and one-half miles, and is on the west
side of the creek. The group consists of
the Roulett, Rebound, Lucky Move,
Mountain Lilly. The owners are H. A.
Ross, J. C. Cress, Thos. Wall and D. Mc-
Rea. Formation, plumbaginous slate and
porphyry, through which the vein cuts,
proving it to be a true fissure. The main
development work has been done on the
Roulett, and consists of one open cut aud
tunnel on the vein 25 feet in length,
showing the vein to be from three and
one-half to four feet in width. No. 2 tunnel is 150 feet lower down the mountain
and is 85 feet in length, the last 40 feet
being on the vein. The width of the pay
streak ranges from 12 to 18 tuches.
In the upper tunnel grey copper, brittle
silver, black sulphuretts and chlorides
were found. Eight samples yielded an
average return of 340 ounces of silver
per ton.
From the lower tunnel clean galena
has been extracted, also native copper.
This ore from three assays averaged 346
ounces silver per ton. As the mountain
sides are quite steep, gnat depth can be
gained by adit tunnels. A third tunnel
has been started lower down aud considerable additional development work
performed, such as stripping the
ledge, etc.
Situated five miles from Three Forks ou
the east slope of the north fork of
Carpenter creek. Formation porphyry.
Trend of vein N. E. & S. W. Both claims
are on same lead. Average width two
and one half feet. A cross cut tunnel 50
feet in length cuts the vein from 45 to 50
feet in depth. About seven tons of ore
have been extracted, the assorted ore
sampling 300 ounces silver per ton. Some
galena is  found in this vein.     The dry
ore carries copper, pyrites and grey copper
and averages #2.50 per ton in gold. The
pay streak averages 16 inches in width.
The surface is stripped 300 or 400 feet in
length. Owners, Ira Black }{, Ed. Bums
%, andW. H. Mitchell </2.
Located four miles from Three Forks.
Formation lime and porphyry, is a contact
vein with a N. E. and S. W. trend. Ledge
l<4 feet wide with quartz filling heavily
mineralized. Samples from two tons on
dump assay 400 and 700 ounces silver per
ton. Two parallel leads ore ou same
location. Development consists of open
cut 14 feet in length. Alex. Rogers and
A. Swan are the owners,
R. W. T.
Situated i'/2 miles north of the Goat
Creek pass on north fork of Carpenter
creek. Is a four foot ledge iu diorite formation and has an east and west trend.
Carries galena which assays 98 ouuces
silver aud from 60 to 70 per cent lead per
tou. Developed by a 75 foot tunnel on
the vein. R. W. Thompson and James
Mullins are the owners.
Lies two and one half miles from Three
Forks. On the Silver Key #200 worth
of work has been done. The owners are
Jasper King, Ben Anderson, Geo. Long,
Jas. Gilhooley and Neil Gething. Vein
carries eight inches dry ore which averages 150 ounces silver. The Blake, which
has the same characteristics, is owned by
Neil Gething, J. D. McGinnis and J. C.
Cress. Only one assessment has been
done. It is the intention of the owners to
tap the ledge deep with a tunnel.
Located on the north fork of the north
fork of Carpenter creek near the head of
Wilson creek. Formation granite and
porphyry. Vein has a northeast aud
southwest trend. Three separate ledges
cross the ground, one having a width of
20 feet, The ore is dry and carries antimony and carbonate of copper. Assays
64 ounces silver on surface. John Weath-
erill, A. W. Wright and M. S. Holland
are the owners.
This is au extension of the Alps and is
of  the   same   general   character.    It  is
owned by A. D. Wilson aud M.  S.  Holland.
These claims are located on the divide
between the head of the north fork of the
north fork of Carpenter creek aud the
head of Wilson creek. They were located
during the summer of 1892. Little but
assessment work has been done since,
yet it is claimed they contain fair bodies
of a very high grade dry ore. A. W.
Wright, J. B. McArthur and C. L. Arnold
are the owners.
Situated on the west slope of the North
Fork near the summit. The formation is
lime and slate shale, th . lead cutting the
formation. Developed by a 175 foot tunnel on the ledge. In 1893 shipped 2</2
tons as a test which yielded 395 ouuces
silver per ton. The ore is composed of
antimonial silver, gray copper and black
sulpheretts. Assays have ranged from
740 to 3,834 ounces per ton. It is simply
a dry ore proposition. Messrs Cummings
and Adams, of Kaslo, are the principal
Located ou the divide between Bear
lake aud the north fork of Carpenter
creek, 6 miles from Three Forks. In 1893
three tous shipped yielded 195 ounces
silver per ton. A much larger shipment
was made m 1894, but the figures are not
at hand. The owner is engaged in running a long cross cut tunnel  which will prove the value of the claim to quite a
considerable depth. E. C. Venmoerk-
erke is the owner.
Ivies near the Miner Boy, aud treuds
north and south. The vein is three feet
iu width with porphyry foot wall aud
slate hanging. Developed by a 100 foot
tunnel running on the vein. At the face
of the tunnel there is 20 inches of ore,
the lowest assay yielded 400 and the
highest 10,480 ounces silver per tou.
Titos. Rouse owns one third and E.
Rogers two thirds of the claim.
This is au extension of the McAlister.
Shows 16 inches of ore iu face of 60 foot
tunnel. Owned by same parties as the
McAlister who began work March 1,
with five men.
These claims are ou the same ledge as
the Miner Boy. Development consists of
* a tunuel ou the veiu 70 feet iu length and
a cross cut 75 feet. Shows 30 inches of
dry ore. One small shipment returning
397 ounces silver per ton. Rouse brothers
aud others are the owners.
In Miller Boy  basin,   has a three foot
vein of dry ore.     No development of any
consequence   has    been     done.     Clark
Brothers are the owners.
Located three and oue-half miles from
Three Forks. Trend of ledge north and
south. Width two aud one-half feet;
hanging wall lime; foot wall shale.
Owned by Thomas Trenary.
Three miles from Three F'orks. Was
the first claim located iu the dry ore belt
iu the spring of 1892. Has first rate
showing on surface but no work outside
of assessment has been done. Lane C.
Gilliam is the owner.
In a north extension of the Columbia.
But little development has been done yet
has a splendid showing.    Owned by New
Denver parties.
Located ou the West Fork of the North
Fork seven miles from Three Forks.
Trends northeast and southwest. Developed by 50-foot tunnel on lead. Hanging wall is shale and the foot wall
porphyry. Shows seven feet of mineralized ledge matter.   J. Martin owner.
Is a concentrating proposition situated
six miles from Three F'orks on the West
Fork of the North Fork of Carpenter
creek. Has a 50-foot, cross cut, ledge
four feet wide. Owned by Cutter &
Four miles from Three Forks. Lead
runs north and south. Carries 16 iuches
pay ore ou the surface. But little development done. James Ryan is the
Situated on the west slope two miles
from Three Forks. Lea.1 carries high
grade galena. Considerable work has
been done cross cutting for the ledge.
Owned by Lewiston, Idaho, capitalists.
Five miles from Three Forks. Vein
trends north aud south and is a contact
between slate and porphyry. Width of
vein two and one-half feet, carrying
galena which averages 160 ouuces and 60
per cent lead per ton. Developed by a 20-
foot incline. Owned by E. C. Veumoer-
Located four aud one-half miles from
Three Forks. Northeast aud southwest
trend. Formation shale. A 20-foot
shaft carries dry ore to the bottom aud
quite au amount of work has been done
on the surface. Owned by Spokane
Is the southwest extension of the Pay
Rock.    Considerable work has been done
and the outlook for a mine is favorable.
Lane C. Gilliam is the owner.
Ou the east slope three miles from
Three Forks, trends north aud south,
shale hanging and porphyry foot wall.
Carries galena iu kidneys aud some
pyrites of copper. Developed only by a
10-foot shaft. Owners, John Foster and
Wm. H. Mitchell.
al tous was recently made as a test.
A full list of Wilson creek claims could
not be obtained in time for this report.
In   Miner    Boy   basin.     Considerable
work has been done  cross-cutting for the
ledge.    Fair showing for a dry ore mine.
H. Adams, owner.
Located iu Minor Boy basin.    Is a true
fissure vein  carrying dry ore.    A 20-foot
tunnel shows five feet of mineralized veiu
matter.    Owned by W. Samuel.
Comprising the Phoenix, Libby R aud
Alhambra, situated three miles aud a
half from Three Forks on the east side
of the creek. Hanging wall is black
lime aud foot wall white lime. The veiu
is from three to seven feet iu width and
has been traced for 500 feet on the surface. Exploited by a 40-foot tunnel
started on the Libby R ground and running into the Phcenix, The pay streak
is 14 inches wide, assaying 65 ounces silver per ton and 34 per cent lead. Five
iuches assays 174 ounces silver and 40
per cent lead. It is a concentrating
proposition. Owned by W. M. Bruner,
M. D.; T. M. Gibson, E. G. Schmidt and
W. Harrison.
This claim is situated two and three-
quarter miles from Three Forks. It is a
five-foot vein carrying three inches of
clean galena and one foot of concentrating ore. The formation is hanging wall
lime, foot wall slate, trend northwest aud
southeast. Only a six-foot incline has
been sunk. Ross H. Pratt aud Thomas
Avison and others are the owners.
Wilson Creek.
Wilson creek empties into Slocau lake
four miles north of New Denver. A
towusite has been laid out there and
christened Roseberry. This is also the
shipping point to aud from all portions
of the Slocau lake as the steamer connects with the railway trains. Wilson
creek, about 14 miles iu length, carries iu
trom a northerly direction. A horse trail
has been built from the lake up the valley
a distance of 7 miles aud will probably
iu time be extended five miles further or
to the main forks. Quite an amount of
of prospecting has been done on the
mountains bordering this stream and a
number of locations have been made,
only a small list of which are here given.
The majority of claims located appear
to carry dry ore, although galena is fouud
in some of the ledges.
In Bigelow bay, one mile northwest of
New Denver, iu granite formation, a
ledge has |beeu found aud quite an
amount of development work performed
thereon. This vein is three feet iu width
carrying a pay streak from six to eight
inches wide of dry ore containing #16
gold over 100 ouuces silver per tou, besides some copper.    A shipment of sever-
Located four aud one half miles from
lake ou east side of Wilson creek. Consists of the Republic, Lake View, Standard aud North Star. Developments show
one foot ore carrying 100 ouuces silver
aud from 60 to 70 per cent lead per ton.
One mile farther up Wilson than above
group. Formatiou lime and porphyry
with some quartz and slate. Vein about
three feet iu width with pay streak from
five to six inches. Assays have been
obtained of 466 ouuces silver aud #10. gold
per tou. The owners are Jas. Marino, A.
Rollo aud A. R. Marino.
The Ferry is in granite, the pay streak
from four to six inches wide of dry ore
which runs from 130 to 140 ouuces in silver. Owned by Meyers Oudin, W. Thom-
linson, Jas. and A. R. Marino. This claim
is only two miles from Slocau lake.
North and East of Bear Lake.
Scores of locations have been made in
that section of the dry ore belt north of
Bear lake and lying between the North
Fork of Carpenter creek ou the west aud
Blue Ridge creek ou the east. It is next
to impossible to collect data concerning
all, hence only a small per centage of the
locations are hereby given
Located ou divide at head waters of
Whitewater and Goat creeks. Formatiou, diorite. Trend nearly east and west,
cutting formatiou diagonally. Veins
range in width from two to seven feet,
with pay streak from six to eight, being
considered the most uniform pay streak
in the section. Assays have been had all
the way from 400 to 3737 ounces silver
per ton. Carries considerable grey copper, assaying in copper as high as 30 per
cent. McKenzie, Bucke A Co. are the
Located on Whitewater creek three
and a half miles from the wagon road.
Two leads cross the location, whicu is in
diorite formatiou. The filling of one
lead is decomposed porphyry running
from #4.80 to $6.40 in free milling gold.
The width of the vein is 38 inches, cut in
two places by tuuuels.
The second lead is of brown or rose
quartz, 40 inches between walls, and goes
from #28 to #36 in gold aud about 14
ounces in silver per ton. Seventy per
cent is free aud can be saved iu a pan.
C. D. McKenzie and D. M. Martin are
the owners.
Located north of Bear lake. From
these claims 1,500 pounds of dry ore were
shipped which yielded 232 ounces of
silver per tou. Russell & Ericsou are
the owners.
Situated iu the dry ore belt three miles
north of Bear lake. Assays have been
had of 400 ounces per tou iu silver. Not
much development work has been done.
J. R. Wyant, of Kaslo, owner.
Located on Beaver creek north of the
Kaslo-Slacau wagou road. The formatiou is slate and lime. Trend is northeast and southwest; width of the Bachus
from four to five feet; West Virginia four
feet. The Bachus is owned by David
Knight, two-thirds; A. C. Scott, one-
third; West Virginia by Caleb Freeman,
A. C. Scott and David Knight each one-
third. The veins are opened in five different places; has a heavy iron capping.
The Emerald Hill, Consolation aud
Prince Edward are located ou Blue Ridge
creek near Macdonald's hotel. The
Emerald Hill is dry ore assays from
which have yielded from 166 to 1,200
ouuces of silver per ton.
The Consolation assays 300, 1,200 aud
1,800 ounces in silver per ton. It is
owned by E. H, Beilenberg.
The Prince Edward carries silver aud
lead aud is the property of Tom Wells.
Naturally, in writing a description of
the many mineral claims in a section of
country that has forged ahead as rapidly
as the Slocan has, many mines aud
favorable prospects would be left un-
uotic.-d. The writer has done his best to
cover the entire ground thoroughly, yet
when the task is very nearly completed
the magnitude of the country is in a
measure realized and also the further fact
that it would require several papers the
size of this to do the district full justice.
Those who abandoned the Slocan when
the crash iu silver took place in 1893 and
have settled in other sections, would be
completely astonished to take a trip over
the country today. The number of new
mines that have been opened up, the various rich discoveries that have been made
aud the substantial aud permanent improvements on all sides cannot but convince the most skeptical but that the
mines go down to unknown depths and
will be permanent and paying for perhaps
ages to come.
It is conceded by all experienced persons who have been engaged in the business of mining in the Slocan, that the
country rock aud veiu matter is the softest and easiest to break of any they have
hitherto met with. Outside the trachyte
and serpentine belt, on the north of the
district, about all the uudergrouud work
is done single handed. So easily aud
cheaply is the ground mined that machiue
drills or air compressing machinery have
been unnecessary.
Not until several concentrators are
erected and in operation in the district
will the people of the transportation companies realize the enormity of the future
output of the miues already in operation.
Iu breaking the ground to extract oue
tou of ore iu many instances a number of
tous of ceuceutrating material are either
broken or exposed so as to be easily
mined. Thousands of tons of fine concentrating ore are now on the various
dumps or held iu reserve in the mines.
The visitor to the Slocau mining district, no matter how fastidious his taste,
will find iu all the towns comfortable,
and iu many cases luxurious hotels,
where nearly every modern convenience
is at hand and supplied at reasonable
rates. The quarters at the different
mines, are, as a general rule, clean aud
roomy. The bill of fare is generally the
best the market affords.
The climate of the Selkirk tnountaius,
in which the Slocan district is situated, is
oue of the healthiest in the world. The
scenery is varied aud grand. Elevations
above the sea of different points are as
follows: Bear lake (on the summit between Kootenay aud Slocau lakes), 3,545;
Three Forks, 2,620; Cody creek (a tributary of the south branch of Carpenter
creek), 3,645; Slocan lake, 1865. The
highest speaks are not much in^excess of
8,000 feet.
The entire country is well watered with
cool, clear streams, healthy for drinking
or domestic purposes, and iu such
quantity as to be available on every hand
for power. Timber also exists iu endless
quantity. White pine, red cedar, hemlock and red fir are the most plentiful. It
is claimed that the white pine of this
section is the finest and there is more of
it than iu any other part of British Columbia. \
The labor market for the present, and
no doubt for some time to come, is fully
supplied. But there is plenty of room
for prospectors with means aud capitalists. Wages are: Miners, #3.50 per day;
laborers and surface men about miues, $3.
On all government work, road and trail
building by individuals etc., wages are
$2.50 per day. The daily wages of mechanics average about #4. Teamsters
receive from #35 to #50 per mouth and
In the cleavage of the galena cubes
from most of the ores found in the Slocan mines, are greater or less quantities
of grey copper and antimonial  silver.    It
is this fact which accounts for the ores
carrying a higher per cent of silver than
many mines of other localities. Experts
at the business say that this extra rich
portion of the ore can readily be saved in
the concentration process.
The names of many mining claims are
duplicated, which is liable to lead to confusion. There are six called the Last
Chance, three Daisies, three Eurekas,
two Idahos, three Mountain Chiefs, two
Northern Belles, two Wellingtons and
three named the Wild Goose, with no
doubt still others.
Three Forks, B. C, March 1, 1895.
The Distributing Point
For the Great Slocan
Do you want to build and make a home in New Denver, the
most convenient to the Slocan mines, and the most beautiful
location in British Columbia?
���   IF SO
See AngUS McGHIivry about prices and terms on his list of New
Denver business and residence property.
AHGUS IfleGIIiIilVRY, Ulindsor, Hotel.
At the Mouth of Four Mile Creek, Slocan Lake.
Outfitting Point for Four Mile Creek and
Granite Belt Districts.
Hunter  &  McKinnon,
Owners of  Townsite.
For information  regarding  this prosperous town, and for
prices on lots apply to
R. B. KERR, Barrister,
NEirtZ   DENVER, * B. C
18H9. 1895.
ni YEARS continued experience examining and reporting on
***- Mines. References all over the west. Reliable reports
made and information furnished. Charges reasonable. Address,
Randall H. Kemp,
BOX 38.
Silverton Hotel,
Silverton,  B.  O.
All the Home Comforts  for Mining  Men   and Prospectors.
Manufacturer   of
Buys a iox 12, 8oz.
fliB Sacks,
And. all Kinds of Canvas Goods.
THUS.   STfaiEL,   Receiver.
Parke & Iiaey Maehinery Go.
Can Furnish You Anything in the Line of
(r\ii}i9<J * and # (T\\\\ * /T\aet?i^ry
And Supplies.
Write for Prices on ORE CARS, RAILS, ROCK DRILLS,
Address Cor. Sprague & Washington Sts.
SPOKHN6,       ���        ���       ���        IfliHSHINGTON.
Blue Ridge Hotel,
Favorite stopping place between Kaslo and the Slocan mines.
First class accommodations.    All
kinds of liquors.
Macdonald Bros., Prop's.
Headquarters for  Macdonald  Bros,   apprao  pack  train.    All
kinds of packing and rawhiding done to and from
the mines. Satisfaction guanteed.
P. O. Address, jSLaglo, B. O., Panada.
RATES $1.60 TO $2.00 PER DAY.
Always   Register at  trie Bower)  House.
N. D. Moore, Pres.
R. McFerran, Secy.
The Slocein Store Co. (Ltd)
New   Denver, B. C.
This Widely  aud  Favorably  Known  Hotel  is still  under the Management o
I (iethinjr and George Henderson which insures its being kept FIRST CLASS
ASSAYER +  AND ���*��� GHEffllST.
I.   O.
Ijfe is U/ortl? Civii^ at   .   .    .
The New Market Hotel,
Which under the New Management is The Leading Hotel of
West Kootenay.    Popular Resorts of all who
Visit the Slocan Mining District.


Citation Scheme:


Citations by CSL (citeproc-js)

Usage Statistics



Customize your widget with the following options, then copy and paste the code below into the HTML of your page to embed this item in your website.
                            <div id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidgetDisplay">
                            <script id="ubcOpenCollectionsWidget"
                            async >
IIIF logo Our image viewer uses the IIIF 2.0 standard. To load this item in other compatible viewers, use this url:


Related Items