The twin sutra pillars at the Lingyin Temple (靈隱寺) Baycroft, Anne
Lingyin monastery (or Lingyin Temple, 靈隱寺) was founded by Indian monk Huili (慧理) in 328 CE during the Eastern Jin dynasty (東晉朝, 265-420). Over the centuries the temple grew to become one of the greatest centres of Chan Buddhism. Two stone pillars constructed in the 10th century, flank the front gate of Lingyin Temple. Both were built in 969 and were originally positioned in Fengxian Tample. They were moved in 1035 by the Abbott Monk Yanshan to where they reside today outside Lingyin Temple. Both octagonal stone pillars have the Usnisa Vijaya Dharani Sutra carved on them. Photo 1-4 of the East pillar show the carved Dharani. Photo 5-8 of the East pillar show the carvings of Buddhist images on the bottom of the pillar. Photos 1-4 of the West pillar show the carved Dharani. Photos 5-8 of the West pillar show the carvings of Buddhist images on the bottom of the pillar.
Item Citations and Data
Attribution 4.0 International