The twin dharani pillars at the Jingshan Temple (徑山寺) 1 Baycroft, Anne
Jingshan Temple was originally built during the Tianbao (天寶) period of the Tang dynasty (唐朝, 618-907). It was most popular during the Southern Song dynasty housing over 1700 monks. Following centuries of war and disrepair, little of the original temple remains today. In 2008, a massive reconstruction of the entire temple site was started. Most fixtures on the site today are relativity new. Twin dharani pillars flank the entrance gate of the Jingshan Temple. They are inscribed with the transliterated Sanskrit dhāraṇī only from the the Great Compassion Dhāraṇī (Nīlakaṇṭha(ka)-sūtra, Qianshou qianyan guanshiyin pusa guangda yuanman wuai dabeixin tuoluoni jing 千手千眼觀世音菩薩廣大圓滿無礙大悲心陀羅尼經, Taishō no. 1060, translated by Bhagavaddharma [伽梵達摩] ca. 650-661), Taishō no. 1060, vol. 20, 107b25-c26. These are dated 2018. Right side pillar: DSC_2148, DSC_2149, DSC_2150, DSC_2151. Left side pillar: DSC_2152, DSC_2153, DSC_2154,DSC_ 2155.
Item Citations and Data
Attribution 4.0 International