Stele recording the repair of Anchan at Juewei (崛圍) temple (juewei anchan chongxiu Ji 崛圍安禪重修記) Sun, Mingli
This stone stele is located at Duofu (多福) Temple in Taiyuan city, Shanxi province, China. It is dated 1540, the nineteenth year of Jiajin (嘉靖) Era in the Ming dynasty, and was built by the Monk Zhenxiang (真祥), the abbot of the Duofu (多福) Temple, to record the repair in the temple. At the half round top of the stele, there carved the title of the stele and other decorative patterns, such as two dragons, the cloud, and so on. On its square body, carved the inscription with floral pattern around. The two Chinese characters, "安禪" (Anchan) may have two meanings here. One is the name of cloister in Duofu (多福) Temple. The other one is a meditation activity happened in the temple. The Duofu (多福) Temple, also known as Juewei (崛圍) Temple, is located on the Mount Juewei (崛圍) in the Northwest of Taiyuan City. This temple was first built in the second year of Zhenyuan (貞元) Era (786) in the Tang dynasty, and was rebuilt during the Hongwu (洪武) Era (1368-1398) in the Ming dynasty. This inscription is significant for us to know the history of the Duofu (多福) Temple.
Item Citations and Data
Attribution 4.0 International