The Cave of the Nymphs at Pharsalos Canlas, Gino
On the north slope of a hill called Karaplas, 1 km to the southwest of the city of Farsala (ancient Pharsalos), is a cave, well-hidden by its location on a small cliff and the surrounding vegetation. The site was first studied in the 1920's by the Italian Archaeological School at Athens. The cave was discovered to have been a sanctuary to the nymphs, as was ascertained by the two inscriptions carved at the entrance of the cave, as well as numerous votive terracotta figurines offered at the site. The finds at the site date from the 6th c. BCE to the end of Antiquity but the site was only certainly in use as a sanctuary from the 5th c. BCE to the Hellenistic period.
Item Citations and Data
Attribution 4.0 International